move 3: Wave Crash / Close Combat
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch
item: Choice Band
ability: Zero to Hero
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
tera type: Water

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Wave Crash is a very strong STAB move. With Stealth Rock support and Tera Water's power boost, it crushes walls Palafin normally might struggle to break, like Toxapex and Corviknight, and always OHKOes Miraidon.
  • Close Combat is a strong, reliable coverage move that hits many of Palafin's checks like Corviknight and Koraidon for solid damage, while also hitting Water-types barring Toxapex for neutral damage.
  • Ice Punch allows Palafin to hit Dragon-types like the very common Koraidon and Miraidon while also hitting Water Absorb Clodsire. However, it cannot OHKO Koraidon and is not guaranteed to OHKO Miraidon.
  • Zen Headbutt allows Palafin to hit Toxapex super effectively, as well as potentially OHKOing Koraidon and having fantastic odds to 2HKO Miraidon.
  • Tera Water powers up Palafin's Water-type moves and allows Palafin to achieve feats like 2HKOing Miraidon with Jet Punch from full HP if rain is up.
  • Choice Band Palafin functions best on offensive teams to revenge kill threats like Flutter Mane or to break walls for its teammates mid-game. Remember, base Palafin needs to be used very early in a game to transform into its Hero Form.
  • Pelipper is a great partner for Palafin, as it checks Koraidon decently and replaces its sun with rain, strengthening Palafin's powerful Water-type attacks.
  • Koraidon sets up sun and resists Water-type attacks Palafin throws at it, so Palafin appreciates teammates that threaten Koraidon, like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Also, Palafin is weakened by the sun Koraidon sets up, so it is best not to pair Palafin and Koraidon together.
  • Miraidon is a good partner, as it destroys Alomomola, a great counter to Palafin, and can safely bring Palafin onto the field with either U-turn or Volt Switch. Miraidon also appreciates Palafin threatening Ground-type Pokemon that can take Miraidon's Electric-type attacks, like Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[OreoSpeedruns, 597293]]
- Quality checked by: [[ox04, 507268], [Mashing, 537354], [corvere, 306317]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Aurora, 109385]]

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Zen Headbutt is negotiable; Toxapex still exists. Ice Punch is the most expendable move here as it doesn't even OHKO the incoming Koraidon (Zen is a 3/16 roll).

I'm just going to leave this here...

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Ground Palafin-Hero Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 504-594 (124.7 - 147%)

OreoSpeedruns

Embrace the wonders within.
is a Tiering Contributor
I think I am ready for the QC team’s evaluation

Yo QC team, if you're reading this, please don't hesitate to give me a 5 page essay about what I should add/change/remove and why. I'm all for it!

Last edited:
AMQC: Wave Crash should be considered as a slash since its consistant damage, specially under rain since it can grab important kos that jet punch cant get.

Last edited:
The moveset should be changed to this:
move 1: Jet Punch
move 2: Flip Turn

Wave Crash is a strong STAB move, 60 BP as your strongest attack is not recommendable. Basically just say it hits super hard especially with Tera Water:
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Palafin-Hero Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 135-159 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Palafin-Hero Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Corviknight: 378-446 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Close Combat is often a good midground, strong attack hits stuff for good damage e.g. opp has both Corv and low health Korai, you don't have to predict between the Water move or Zen you can just click CC for guaranteed good damage. CC also hits opposing Water types. Wave Crash tends to be better tho.

Zen Headbutt is the strongest attack against Koraidon and it also hits Miraidon decently.
252+ Atk Choice Band Palafin-Hero Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Koraidon: 296-350 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Palafin-Hero Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Miraidon: 168-198 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

The main problem with Ice Punch is that even if you predict right on Koraidon, you are doing significantly less damage which gives the Koraidon user more room to play around Palafin.
252+ Atk Choice Band Palafin-Hero Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Koraidon: 278-328 (81.5 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I think it's also important to mention to strictly not pair Palafin with Koraidon so you don't weaken your own Water moves. Another big teammate I'd say is Pelipper, who provides a good Koraidon check and swaps out sun with rain.

QC 1/2 after implementation, btw include Mashing in the credits.

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
I think it's also important to mention to strictly not pair Palafin with Koraidon so you don't weaken your own Water moves. Another big teammate I'd say is Pelipper, who provides a good Koraidon check and swaps out sun with rain.
Pelipper part is included, but you’re right; I definitely should also mention not to pair it with Koraidon. Everything else you mentioned is also great here, thanks again for your help man!

Include Mashing in the credits.
How do you suppose I should do this? Should I add another space in the “quality checked by” section?

Pelipper part is included, but you’re right; I definitely should also mention not to pair it with Koraidon. Everything else you mentioned is also great here, thanks again for your help man!

How do you suppose I should do this? Should I add another space in the “quality checked by” section?
you just add my name on the quality checked by section

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Any thoughts on Liquidation? Sure Tera Water Wave Crash is strong but have you ever Wave Crashed a Rocky Helmet mon and took ~80% in one turn? Pretty brutal.
You still do enough damage to 2-shot Corv:
+1 252+ Atk Palafin Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Corviknight: 201-237 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (76.20% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
Any thoughts on Liquidation?
Ngl I think it sounds like a nice idea, but…

Huh.
That’s actually a thought.
I admit I initially hated the idea because it would force Palafin to use Zen Headbutt to kill Toxapex, but I realized Zen Headbutt certainly IS a better overall move than Ice Punch.
However, I’m not fully convinced. I really don’t know why, I promise.
Maybe it’s because I like spamming Wave Crash and ripping apart everything that isn’t Koraidon.

But again, I admit you have my gears turning.

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Top Contributor
(...)allowing the Koraidon user to play around it more easily
delete

(...)bolsters
we sure "bolsters " is the right word here? i think 'powers up' flows a little better and is a word everyone can understand. would do the same on every "bolsters" mention
Miraidon is also a good partner, as it resists Electric- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Palafin. Miraidon also(...)
honestly i dont think mentioning the grass and electric resists are that important, you pair palafin with miraidon because palafin annihilates tinglu iron treads clodsire and blissey for mirai and mirai destroys alomomola and can get palafin into the field with uturn.

wave crash is mandatory because while liquidation 2hkos corv still you miss on calcs like the ohko on miraidon and the 2hko on pex.

2/2

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
delete

we sure "bolsters " is the right word here? i think 'powers up' flows a little better and is a word everyone can understand. would do the same on every "bolsters" mention

honestly i dont think mentioning the grass and electric resists are that important, you pair palafin with miraidon because palafin annihilates tinglu iron treads clodsire and blissey for mirai and mirai destroys alomomola and can get palafin into the field with uturn.

wave crash is mandatory because while liquidation 2hkos corv still you miss on calcs like the ohko on miraidon and the 2hko on pex.

2/2
Implemented all of these changes, thanks so much Corvere!

With that, I am ready for the GP Team to evaluate! hehe I learned how to tag users

Last edited:
add remove (comment)
[SET]
name: Choice Band
  • Wave Crash is a very strong STAB move, and with Tera Water and Stealth Rock on the enemy opposing side and Tera Water, it crushes walls it normally might struggle to break, like Toxapex and Corviknight, while and always OHKOesing Miraidon.
  • Close Combat is a strong, reliable coverage move that hits many of Palafin’s checks for solid damage, like Corviknight and Koraidon, while also hitting Water-types for neutral damage, bar Toxapex.
  • Ice Punch allows Palafin to hit Dragon-types, (AC) like the very common Koraidon and Miraidon, (AC) super effectively, (RC) while also hitting Water Absorb Clodsire. However, it cannot OHKO Koraidon, (RC) and is not guaranteed to OHKO Miraidon.
  • Zen Headbutt allows Palafin to hit Toxapex super effectively, as well as potentially OHKOing Koraidon and having fantastic odds to 2HKO Miraidon.
  • Tera Water powers up Palafin’s Water-type moves, and in conjunction with rain, allows Palafin to achieve ridiculous feats, like 2HKOing Miraidon with Jet Punch from full HP.
  • Choice Band Palafin functions best on offensive teams to revenge kill threats, (AC) like Flutter Mane, or to break walls for its teammates mid-game. Remember, (AC) that base Palafin needs to be used very early in a game to transform into its Hero Form.
  • Pelipper is a great partner for Palafin, as it checks Koraidon decently and replaces its sun with rain, which power up Palafin’s already powerful Water-type attacks.
  • Koraidon sets up sun and resists Water-type attacks Palafin throws at it, so Palafin appreciates teammates that threaten Koraidon, like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Also, Palafin also does not like the sun Koraidon sets up, so it is best not to pair Palafin and Koraidon together.
  • Miraidon is also a good partner, as it destroys Alomomola, a great counter to Palafin, and can safely bring Palafin onto the field with U-turn or Volt Switch. Miraidon also appreciates Palafin threatening Ground-types Pokemon that can take Miraidon’s Electric-type attacks, like Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire.
[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[ox04, 507268], [Mashing, 537354]] [[username3, userid3]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
add remove (comment)
[SET]
  • Wave Crash is a very strong STAB move, and with Tera Water and Stealth Rock on the enemy opposing side and Tera Water, it crushes walls it normally might struggle to break, like Toxapex and Corviknight, while and always OHKOesing Miraidon.
  • Close Combat is a strong, reliable coverage move that hits many of Palafin’s checks for solid damage, like Corviknight and Koraidon, while also hitting Water-types for neutral damage, bar Toxapex.
  • Ice Punch allows Palafin to hit Dragon-types, (AC) like the very common Koraidon and Miraidon, (AC) super effectively, (RC) while also hitting Water Absorb Clodsire. However, it cannot OHKO Koraidon, (RC) and is not guaranteed to OHKO Miraidon.
  • Tera Water powers up Palafin’s Water-type moves, and in conjunction with rain, allows Palafin to achieve ridiculous feats, like 2HKOing Miraidon with Jet Punch from full HP.
  • Choice Band Palafin functions best on offensive teams to revenge kill threats, (AC) like Flutter Mane, or to break walls for its teammates mid-game. Remember, (AC) that base Palafin needs to be used very early in a game to transform into its Hero Form.
  • Pelipper is a great partner for Palafin, as it checks Koraidon decently and replaces its sun with rain, which power up Palafin’s already powerful Water-type attacks.
  • Koraidon sets up sun and resists Water-type attacks Palafin throws at it, so Palafin appreciates teammates that threaten Koraidon, like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Also, Palafin also does not like the sun Koraidon sets up, so it is best not to pair Palafin and Koraidon together.
  • Miraidon is also a good partner, as it destroys Alomomola, a great counter to Palafin, and can safely bring Palafin onto the field with U-turn or Volt Switch. Miraidon also appreciates Palafin threatening Ground-types Pokemon that can take Miraidon’s Electric-type attacks, like Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire.
[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[ox04, 507268], [Mashing, 537354]] [[username3, userid3]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
Implementing!

Oh btw, that last remove on the 3rd username and ID was me being dumb and forgetting to put Corvere’s username and ID there. Sorry for confusion!

add
remove
comments

I also fixed the square brackets in the credits section for you, they need to be formatted like that for the dex to read them properly

[SET]
  • Wave Crash is a very strong STAB move. (full stop), and with With Stealth Rock on the opposing side support and Tera Water's power boost, it crushes walls it Palafin normally might struggle to break, like Toxapex and Corviknight, and always OHKOes Miraidon.
  • Close Combat is a strong, reliable coverage move that hits many of Palafin’s Palafin's checks like Corviknight and Koraidon for solid damage, like Corviknight and Koraidon, while also hitting Water-types barring Toxapex for neutral damage, bar Toxapex.
  • Ice Punch allows Palafin to hit Dragon-types, (remove comma) like the very common Koraidon and Miraidon, (remove comma) while also hitting Water Absorb Clodsire. However, it cannot OHKO Koraidon and is not guaranteed to OHKO Miraidon.
  • Tera Water powers up Palafin’s Palafin's Water-type moves, and with rain, and allows Palafin to achieve ridiculous feats, (remove comma) like 2HKOing Miraidon with Jet Punch from full HP if rain is up.
  • Choice Band Palafin functions best on offensive teams to revenge kill threats like Flutter Mane, (remove comma) or to break walls for its teammates mid-game. Remember, base Palafin needs to be used very early in a game to transform into its Hero Form.
  • Pelipper is a great partner for Palafin, as it checks Koraidon decently and replaces its sun with rain, which power up strengthening ('powers up ... powerful' is a bit clunky) Palafin’s Palafin's powerful Water-type attacks.
  • Koraidon sets up sun and resists Water-type attacks Palafin throws at it, so Palafin appreciates teammates that threaten Koraidon, like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Also, Palafin does not like is weakened by the sun Koraidon sets up, so it is best not to pair Palafin and Koraidon together.
  • Miraidon is a (removed extra space) good partner, as it destroys Alomomola, a great counter to Palafin, and can safely bring Palafin onto the field with either U-turn or Volt Switch. Miraidon also appreciates Palafin threatening Ground-type Pokémon Pokemon that can take Miraidon’s Miraidon's Electric-type attacks, like Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire.

[CREDITS]

done GP Team

Last edited:

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
add
remove
comments

I also fixed the square brackets in the credits section for you, they need to be formatted like that for the dex to read them properly

[SET]
  • Wave Crash is a very strong STAB move. (full stop), and with With Stealth Rock on the opposing side support and Tera Water's power boost, it crushes walls it Palafin normally might struggle to break, like Toxapex and Corviknight, and always OHKOes Miraidon.
  • Close Combat is a strong, reliable coverage move that hits many of Palafin’s Palafin's checks like Corviknight and Koraidon for solid damage, like Corviknight and Koraidon, while also hitting Water-types barring Toxapex for neutral damage, bar Toxapex.
  • Ice Punch allows Palafin to hit Dragon-types, (remove comma) like the very common Koraidon and Miraidon, (remove comma) while also hitting Water Absorb Clodsire. However, it cannot OHKO Koraidon and is not guaranteed to OHKO Miraidon.
  • Tera Water powers up Palafin’s Palafin's Water-type moves, and with rain, and allows Palafin to achieve ridiculous feats, (remove comma) like 2HKOing Miraidon with Jet Punch from full HP if rain is up.
  • Choice Band Palafin functions best on offensive teams to revenge kill threats like Flutter Mane, (remove comma) or to break walls for its teammates mid-game. Remember, base Palafin needs to be used very early in a game to transform into its Hero Form.
  • Pelipper is a great partner for Palafin, as it checks Koraidon decently and replaces its sun with rain, which power up strengthening ('powers up ... powerful' is a bit clunky) Palafin’s Palafin's powerful Water-type attacks.
  • Koraidon sets up sun and resists Water-type attacks Palafin throws at it, so Palafin appreciates teammates that threaten Koraidon, like Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. Also, Palafin does not like is weakened by the sun Koraidon sets up, so it is best not to pair Palafin and Koraidon together.
  • Miraidon is a (removed extra space) good partner, as it destroys Alomomola, a great counter to Palafin, and can safely bring Palafin onto the field with either U-turn or Volt Switch. Miraidon also appreciates Palafin threatening Ground-type Pokémon Pokemon that can take Miraidon’s Miraidon's Electric-type attacks, like Ting-Lu, Iron Treads, and Clodsire.

[CREDITS]

done GP Team
All of this has been implemented! Please do lmk if there’s anything that needs to change, otherwise it’s done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)