Doubles Amoonguss (QC 2/2) (GP 1/1)

[OVERVIEW]

Amoonguss is the tier’s premier redirector, sustaining its teammates with Pollen Puff and neutralizing foes with Spore. Its defensive prowess, coupled with Regenerator, provides it the sustainability to soak up hits while supporting its team. Due to its effectiveness, Amoonguss finds itself on a large variety of team styles, from Trick Room to hyper offense. Setup attackers such as Nasty Plot Gholdengo and Swords Dance Iron Hands appreciate its redirection and healing capabilities, and they make up for its near-nonexistent offenses. Amoonguss's Grass / Poison typing provides resistances to key attackers such as Palafin-H and Iron Hands but leaves it weak to Fire- and Ice-types like Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao. Further, its passivity diminishes its utility against status-immune Pokemon such as Gholdengo and Garganacl. Finally, opposing Grass-types such as Meowscarada, Abomasnow, and Tera Grass Iron Hands and Safety Goggles users such as Farigiraf and Sylveon are immune to Amoonguss's Spore and Rage Powder, invalidating its support options.

[SET]

name: Redirection Support
move 1: Spore
move 2: Rage Powder
move 3: Pollen Puff
move 4: Leaf Storm / Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 244 HP / 196 Def / 68 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
tera type: Water

[SET COMMENTS]

* Spore dissuades foes from staying in and prevents them from setting up Trick Room. If Trick Room ends up active, Amoonguss can utilize its low Speed to threaten foes with sleep.

* Rage Powder enables teammates to set field conditions such as Trick Room or Tailwind safely.

* Pollen Puff heals teammates and damages foes in a pinch, notably OHKOing Meowscarada.

* Leaf Storm is Amoonguss’s biggest source of damage, OHKOing Iron Bundle, 2HKOing Palafin-H, and pressuring the sleep-immune Garganacl. Protect is useful in scouting foes’ moves, blocking Fake Out, and improving overall survivability.

* Regenerator allows Amoonguss to come into the field and absorb attacks repeatedly.

* The EV spread allows Amoonguss to survive two consecutive Make It Rains from Choice Specs Gholdengo after Sitrus Berry.

* 28 Speed IVs allow Amoonguss to underspeed Iron Hands and Kingambit under Trick Room.

* Tera Water turns Amoonguss's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses into resistances and is overall a great defensive typing. It also removes its Flying-type weakness, further improving its matchup against rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

With Covert Cloak, Amoonguss can turn the tables on Fake Out users and put them to sleep as well as reliably check Garganacl by ignoring its Salt Cure. Rocky Helmet punishes contact attackers such as Dragonite and Palafin-H and KOes Maushold after 8 hits of Population Bomb. Occa Berry allows Amoonguss to survive a Heat Wave from Choice Specs Chi-Yu and Eruption from Charcoal Torkoal. Eject Button can be used to switch into or redirect an attack and then pivot to a frail attacking teammate. None of these items complement Amoonguss's bulk as well as Sitrus Berry, however. Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to check setup foes such as Swords Dance Iron Hands and Iron Defense Garganacl. Foul Play can be used to hit strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite and Garchomp.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[AIRedzone, 512635]]
- Quality checked by: [[qsns, 230771], [smudgerox, 550367]]
- Grammar checked by: [[royalfluxh, 493260], [dex, 277988]]

Last edited:

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
QC 1/2

General:
- i am sorry but i dont think we can put the among us jokes in

Overview:
- I think it's more specific to say Amoonguss is the tier's premier redirector with access to other powerful support moves like spore/puff. The "premier support Pokemon" is a little too arguable and too general.
- IMO versatile is an awkward word to describe Amoonguss with considering it uses one set. I would just talk about how effective it is in this role
- Mention Tera Grass in the counterplay sentence with Goggles. It would be more clear to separate the Pokemon naturally immune to Spore, such as Garganacl and Gholdengo, as well as mention that every Pokemon has access to Tera Grass and Safety Goggles to get around both Spore and Rage Powder.
- Bulk Up Palafin is not used, remove this mention
- Remove the competition sentence - Toedscruel is fake and if anything, Indd has to justify itself over amoong

Set Comments:
- Merge the Sitrus Berry & EV Spread bullets because Amoong needs sitrus berry to take the 2 specs gholdengo hits.
- I don't think the second sentence is super necessary on the Spore bullet point, esp. if the Tera Grass mention is moved up to overview.
- For Leaf Storm, Iron Bundle is a better example than non AV Great Tusk. Also mention pressuring Garg here since it's immune to Spore and a common switchin.
- Discussed with QC and we are removing Toxic and Clear Smog from being slashes on the last slot. Sorry about the late shake-up, both of those moves became a lot less relevant after the Dondozo and Annihilape bans. Move Clear Smog to OO (remove the part about dealing damage, its super negligible) and mention specific Pokemon such as Swords Dance Iron Hands and ID Nacl. We are removing Toxic from the analysis.
- Remove attack IV mention and the 0 atk from the set, showdown does this automatically and it's not worth talking about.

OO:
- Giga Drain isn't significantly worse than Leaf Storm, but you have a generally worse Amoonguss the vast, vast majority of the time. Not worth the OO mention.
- Mention specific physical attackers (I usually put it on my team for Dnite) and mouse using Population Bomb in the Rocky Helmet.
- Amoong isn't really a Leftovers mon, if you need to sustain it through an entire match you just switch out and take advantage of Regen. Remove this.

Tag me on discord or here when implemented!

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think Covert Cloak should be slashed in the item slot. There's not a ton of Fake Out users in the format, but when it does come up, having Cloak is pretty devastating; you get a free Spore on their Iron Hands, or a free Rage Powder that you shouldn't be able to get, or just an extra Leaf Storm. Covert Cloak also stops some random hax elements like Rock Slide flinches and Heat Wave burns (after you Tera Water) and prevents the damage over time from Salt Cure, which lets you stop Garganacl cold.

You lose the ability to eat Specs Make It Rain quite as easily, but the utility is incredible.

I think Covert Cloak should be slashed in the item slot. There's not a ton of Fake Out users in the format, but when it does come up, having Cloak is pretty devastating; you get a free Spore on their Iron Hands, or a free Rage Powder that you shouldn't be able to get, or just an extra Leaf Storm. Covert Cloak also stops some random hax elements like Rock Slide flinches and Heat Wave burns (after you Tera Water) and prevents the damage over time from Salt Cure, which lets you stop Garganacl cold.

You lose the ability to eat Specs Make It Rain quite as easily, but the utility is incredible.
Arcticblast, DOU's biggest CC Amoong believer (I believe too)
Do you think it's a better fit for Other Options than slashed with Sitrus since it isn't used that often? Either way, I'll add it in soon

Smudge

NatDex Doubles TL
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
QC 2/2

Due to its effectiveness as a support Pokemon, Amoonguss finds itself on a large variety of team styles, from Trick Room to bulky offense.
Reads a bit odd to me, since only one of these (Trick Room) is an end of the spectrum. It can even fit on otherwise hyper offense teams, so perhaps mentioning that instead would be better illustrative of the versatility in team styles.

Spore allows it to neutralize foes and force switches.
Might be redundant, and I think you can just remove it, since you mentioned that it neutralizes foes two sentences prior, and in Set Comments. If you want to keep the bit about forcing switches, that might work in Set Comments, but you should explain what & why it forces to switch.

---

Generally, I feel like the passing mentions of Trick Room aren't enough, since it's pretty inarguably the best at both stopping TR from going up and most effective under it. You could change "Rage Powder redirects attacks and enables teammates to set field conditions or set up." into something like "...set field conditions such as Trick Room or Tailwind...".

Also, yes, we would like you to add Covert Cloak to Other Options, at the top. :blobthumbsup:

Might be redundant, and I think you can just remove it, since you mentioned that it neutralizes foes two sentences prior, and in Set Comments. If you want to keep the bit about forcing switches, that might work in Set Comments, but you should explain what & why it forces to switch.
Ngl I thought I removed this before even posting this as WiP but it looks like I forgot :worrywhirl:

Implemented the suggested changes, let me know how it looks. Some of the wording could be refined further, especially for Set Comments, so I'll work on that soon.

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
AMGP, implement whatever you want!
Add
Remove
(Comment)
(ac) = add comma, (ap) = add period
[OVERVIEW]
(add line break)
Amoonguss is the tier’s premier redirector, (rc) sustaining that can sustain its teammates with Pollen Puff and neutralizing neutralize its foes with Spore. Its defensive prowess coupled with Regenerator provides it the sustainability to soak up hits while supporting its team. Due to its effectiveness as a support Pokemon, Amoonguss finds itself on a large variety of team styles, from Trick Room to hyper offense. Setup attackers such as Nasty Plot Gholdengo and Swords Dance Iron Hands appreciate its redirection and healing capabilities, (ac) and they make up for its near-nonexistent offenses. Grass/Poison typing provides Amonguss Amoonguss's Grass / Poison typing provides resistances to key attackers such as Palafin-H (i assume hero is the relevant form? change all palafin mentions to this if so, unless otherwise ofc) and Iron Hands but leaves it weak to Fire- and Ice-types like Chi-Yu and Ice-types like Chien-Pao. Further, its passivity diminishes its utility against status-immune Pokemon such as Gholdengo and Garganacl. Finally, opposing Grass-types (examples here can be nice since "grass types being immune to powder" is pretty dex info-y. You can then include the tera grass mention, so something like "Grass-types such as Meowscarada, Tropius, and Tera Grass Rayquaza") and Tera Grass-type foes as well as those carrying Safety Goggles users (such as... same deal as above) are immune to Amoonguss's Spore and Rage Powder, invalidating its support options.

[SET]
name: Redirection Suspport (:worrywhirl:)

[SET COMMENTS]

• Spore dissuades foes from staying in and on the field for fear of being put to sleep. It allows Amoonguss to prevents them opponents from setting up Trick Room. (ap) or utilize its low speed to threaten sleep under it. Even if Trick Room ends up active, Amoonguss can utilize its low Speed to threaten them with Spore. (i assume this makes sense?)
  • Rage Powder redirects attacks and (dex info) enables teammates to set field conditions such as Trick Room or Tailwind safely.
  • Pollen Puff heals teammates and provides damages foes in a pinch, OHKOing Meowscarada.
  • Leaf Storm is Amoonguss’ biggest source of damage. It has a high enough base power to OHKO Iron Bundle, 2HKO Palafin-H, and pressure the Spore-immune sleep-immune Garganacl. Protect is useful in scouting the foes’ moves, blocking Fake Out, and improving overall survivability.
  • Regenerator allows Amoonguss to come onto into the field repeatedly and absorb attacks repeatedly.
  • This The EVs spread and nature (since the benchmark is to survive a special attack, mentioning it being a bold nature is unnecessary) allow Amoonguss to survive two consecutive Make It Rain attacks from Choice Specs Gholdengo after Sitrus Berry recovery. The remaining EVs are dumped into Defense.
  • 28 Speed IVs allow Amoonguss to underspeed outspeed Brave nature (implied with TR) Iron Hands and Kingambit inside of under Trick Room but otherwise retain more Speed for use outside of Trick Room.
  • Tera Water turns Amoonguss's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses into resistances, and it is overall a great defensive typing. It also removes its Flying-type weakness, further improving its matchup into against rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

With Covert Cloak, Amoonguss can turn the tables on Fake Out users and put them to sleep as well as reliably check Garganacl by ignoring its Salt Cure. By ignoring the damage over time from Salt Cure, it reliably checks Garganacl. Rocky Helmet punishes contact attackers such as Dragonite and Palafin-H and KOes Maushold after 8 hits of Population Bomb. Occa Berry allows Amoonguss to live survive a Heat Wave from Choice Specs Chi-Yu and Eruption from Charcoal Torkoal. Eject Button can be used to switch into or redirect an attack and then pivot to a frail attacking teammate. None of these items complement its Amoonguss's bulk as well as Sitrus Berry does, however. Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to check setup foes such as Swords Dance Iron Hands and Iron Defense Garganacl. Foul Play can be used to hit strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite and Garchomp.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
also, I notice the set comments are written with bullet points instead of asterisk as how the other dou analyses are written. not sure if it matters but you might want to double check with qc :>

AMGP, implement whatever you want!
Add
Remove
(Comment)
(ac) = add comma, (ap) = add period
[OVERVIEW]
(add line break)
Amoonguss is the tier’s premier redirector, (rc) sustaining that can sustain its teammates with Pollen Puff and neutralizing neutralize its foes with Spore. Its defensive prowess coupled with Regenerator provides it the sustainability to soak up hits while supporting its team. Due to its effectiveness as a support Pokemon, Amoonguss finds itself on a large variety of team styles, from Trick Room to hyper offense. Setup attackers such as Nasty Plot Gholdengo and Swords Dance Iron Hands appreciate its redirection and healing capabilities, (ac) and they make up for its near-nonexistent offenses. Grass/Poison typing provides Amonguss Amoonguss's Grass / Poison typing provides resistances to key attackers such as Palafin-H (i assume hero is the relevant form? change all palafin mentions to this if so, unless otherwise ofc) and Iron Hands but leaves it weak to Fire- and Ice-types like Chi-Yu and Ice-types like Chien-Pao. Further, its passivity diminishes its utility against status-immune Pokemon such as Gholdengo and Garganacl. Finally, opposing Grass-types (examples here can be nice since "grass types being immune to powder" is pretty dex info-y. You can then include the tera grass mention, so something like "Grass-types such as Meowscarada, Tropius, and Tera Grass Rayquaza") and Tera Grass-type foes as well as those carrying Safety Goggles users (such as... same deal as above) are immune to Amoonguss's Spore and Rage Powder, invalidating its support options.

[SET]
name: Redirection Suspport (:worrywhirl:)

[SET COMMENTS]

• Spore dissuades foes from staying in and on the field for fear of being put to sleep. It allows Amoonguss to prevents them opponents from setting up Trick Room. (ap) or utilize its low speed to threaten sleep under it. Even if Trick Room ends up active, Amoonguss can utilize its low Speed to threaten them with Spore. (i assume this makes sense?)
  • Rage Powder redirects attacks and (dex info) enables teammates to set field conditions such as Trick Room or Tailwind safely.
  • Pollen Puff heals teammates and provides damages foes in a pinch, OHKOing Meowscarada.
  • Leaf Storm is Amoonguss’ biggest source of damage. It has a high enough base power to OHKO Iron Bundle, 2HKO Palafin-H, and pressure the Spore-immune sleep-immune Garganacl. Protect is useful in scouting the foes’ moves, blocking Fake Out, and improving overall survivability.
  • Regenerator allows Amoonguss to come onto into the field repeatedly and absorb attacks repeatedly.
  • This The EVs spread and nature (since the benchmark is to survive a special attack, mentioning it being a bold nature is unnecessary) allow Amoonguss to survive two consecutive Make It Rain attacks from Choice Specs Gholdengo after Sitrus Berry recovery. The remaining EVs are dumped into Defense.
  • 28 Speed IVs allow Amoonguss to underspeed outspeed Brave nature (implied with TR) Iron Hands and Kingambit inside of under Trick Room but otherwise retain more Speed for use outside of Trick Room.
  • Tera Water turns Amoonguss's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses into resistances, and it is overall a great defensive typing. It also removes its Flying-type weakness, further improving its matchup into against rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

With Covert Cloak, Amoonguss can turn the tables on Fake Out users and put them to sleep as well as reliably check Garganacl by ignoring its Salt Cure. By ignoring the damage over time from Salt Cure, it reliably checks Garganacl. Rocky Helmet punishes contact attackers such as Dragonite and Palafin-H and KOes Maushold after 8 hits of Population Bomb. Occa Berry allows Amoonguss to live survive a Heat Wave from Choice Specs Chi-Yu and Eruption from Charcoal Torkoal. Eject Button can be used to switch into or redirect an attack and then pivot to a frail attacking teammate. None of these items complement its Amoonguss's bulk as well as Sitrus Berry does, however. Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to check setup foes such as Swords Dance Iron Hands and Iron Defense Garganacl. Foul Play can be used to hit strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite and Garchomp.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
also, I notice the set comments are written with bullet points instead of asterisk as how the other dou analyses are written. not sure if it matters but you might want to double check with qc :>
Implemented GP changes (with a few tiny modifications), please let me know if this looks good. Thanks for the feedback!

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
AC = Add Comma, RC = Remove Comma
[OVERVIEW]

Amoonguss is the tier’s premier redirector, sustaining its teammates with Pollen Puff and neutralizing foes with Spore. Its defensive prowess, (AC) coupled with Regenerator, (AC) provides it the sustainability to soak up hits while supporting its team. Due to its effectiveness, Amoonguss finds itself on a large variety of team styles, from Trick Room to hyper offense. Setup attackers such as Nasty Plot Gholdengo and Swords Dance Iron Hands appreciate its redirection and healing capabilities, and they make up for its near-nonexistent offenses. Amoonguss's Grass / Poison typing provides resistances to key attackers such as Palafin-H and Iron Hands but leaves it weak to Fire- and Ice-types like Chi-Yu and Chien-Pao. Further, its passivity diminishes its utility against status-immune Pokemon such as Gholdengo and Garganacl. Finally, opposing Grass-types such as Meowscarada, Abomasnow, and Tera Grass Iron Hands and Safety Goggles users such as Farigiraf and Sylveon are immune to Amoonguss's Spore and Rage Powder, invalidating its support options.

[SET]

name: Redirection Suspport

[SET COMMENTS]

* Spore dissuades foes from staying in and prevents them from setting up Trick Room. If Trick Room ends up active, Amoonguss can utilize its low Speed to threaten foes with sleep.

* Rage Powder enables teammates to set field conditions such as Trick Room or Tailwind safely.

* Pollen Puff heals teammates and damages foes in a pinch, notably OHKOing Meowscarada.

* Leaf Storm is Amoonguss’s (correct possessive) biggest source of damage, OHKOing Iron Bundle, 2HKOing Palafin-H, and pressuring the sleep-immune Garganacl. Protect is useful in scouting foes’ moves, blocking Fake Out, and improving overall survivability.

* Regenerator allows Amoonguss to come into the field and absorb attacks repeatedly.

* The EV spread allows Amoonguss to survive two consecutive Make It Rains (plural) from Choice Specs Gholdengo after Sitrus Berry.

* 28 Speed IVs allow Amoonguss to underspeed Iron Hands and Kingambit under Trick Room.

* Tera Water turns Amoonguss's Fire- and Ice-type weaknesses into resistances, (RC) and is overall a great defensive typing. It also removes its Flying-type weakness, further improving its matchup against rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

With Covert Cloak, Amoonguss can turn the tables on Fake Out users and put them to sleep as well as reliably check Garganacl by ignoring its Salt Cure. Rocky Helmet punishes contact attackers such as Dragonite and Palafin-H and KOes Maushold after 8 hits of Population Bomb. Occa Berry allows Amoonguss to survive a Heat Wave from Choice Specs Chi-Yu and Eruption from Charcoal Torkoal. Eject Button can be used to switch into or redirect an attack and then pivot to a frail attacking teammate. None of these items complement Amoonguss's bulk as well as Sitrus Berry, however. Clear Smog allows Amoonguss to check setup foes such as Swords Dance Iron Hands and Iron Defense Garganacl. Foul Play can be used to hit strong physical attackers such as Choice Band Dragonite and Garchomp.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[royalfluxh, 493260], [dex, 277988]]

royalfluxh tagging so that you can see the check, great job!
GP Team done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)