move 3: Dazzling Gleam / Tera Blast
move 4: Roost / Substitute / Protect
item: Electric Seed / Leftovers
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Bold
evs: 152 HP / 244 Def / 112 Spe
tera type: Fairy / Fighting

[SET COMMENTS]
Espathra's niche is sweeping with its unique combination of Calm Mind, Speed Boost, and STAB Stored Power.
Dazzling Gleam super effectively hits Dark-types, which are immune to Stored Power, like Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Grimmsnarl.
Substitute protects Espathra from potential status conditions that might stop its sweep, like from Clodsire's Toxic.
Protect, instead, allows Espathra to scout Choice-locked foes, such as Choice Specs Miraidon. In addition, Protect lets Espathra freely boost its Speed and get Leftovers recovery.
Roost keeps Espathra healthy and makes it less susceptible to priority attacks, like Chien-Pao and Kingambit's Sucker Punch. Roost also allows Espathra to beat Ting-Lu not packing Whirlwind one-on-one.
Tera Fairy turns Espathra's Dark weakness into a resistance, letting it survive the aforementioned Sucker Punch, as well as bolstering its Dazzling Gleam.
Tera Fighting also turns Espathra's Dark weakness into a resistance. Paired with Tera Blast, it beats the aforementioned Dark-types, Kingambit and Chien-Pao, and Steel-types like Iron Treads.
112 EVs in Speed allow Espathra to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +1, including Iron Bundle. At +2, it can even outspeed +1 Iron Valiant.
The rest of its EVs are poured into physical bulk for survivability, since Calm Mind will boost Special Defense anyway. Electric Seed further improves Espathra's physical bulk while also giving it another boost to Stored Power. Leftovers gives Espathra long-term recovery, and it can be optimized with Calm Mind and the choice of Substitute, Protect, or Roost.
Espathra functions best on offensive teams to sweep after its checks have been weakened. Espathra is very frail and it usually can't switch in safely more than once, so it must fully commit to a sweep once it hits the field.
Fighting-types like Koraidon and Great Tusk make for good partners, as they threaten Dark- and Steel-types that resist or are immune to Espathra's Stored Power.
Strong Dark-types like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu resist Dark- and Ghost-type attacks, which target Espathra, while also threatening Ghost- and Psychic-types. The former threaten Espathra, and the latter resist Stored Power.
Miraidon is a necessary partner if Espathra is holding Electric Seed, as Electric Terrain activates the item.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[OreoSpeedruns, 597293]]
- Quality checked by: [[corvere, 306317], [Eledyr, 415367]]
- Grammar checked by: [Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
EVs should be 152 HP / 244 Def / 112 Spe to avoid the speed tie with +1 Valiant at +2. The extra HP point is necessary after 4 consecutive subs and Leftovers to create a 5th sub with 1 HP remaining.

Last edited:
EVs should be 112 Spe to avoid the speed tie with +1 Valiant at +2.
Ah, I see. I had no idea the extra 4 Speed EVs were for outspeeding +1 Valiant. Thanks for that part!

The extra HP point is necessary after 4 consecutive subs and Leftovers to create a 5th sub with 1 HP remaining.
The extra HP EVs will only be necessary if Espathra is using Electric Seed, no? And due to E-Seed’s lack of passive healing, I would assume that those sets always run Roost to stay healthy? (unless I’m missing something, I haven’t played against Espathra in a while, so if this is wrong, please do correct me) Thus, this set wouldn’t be using Substitute, and the Leftovers variants of Espathra wouldn’t need the extra HP, as they passively heal with Lefties.

Again, I have not played against Espathra in Ubers in a while, so feel free to correct me on any mistakes I may have made. Thanks!

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The extra HP EVs will only be necessary if Espathra is using Electric Seed, no? And due to E-Seed’s lack of passive healing, I would assume that those sets always run Roost to stay healthy? (unless I’m missing something, I haven’t played against Espathra in a while, so if this is wrong, please do correct me)
You're right that Seed Espathra needs 369 HP to create 4x 92 HP subs

Meanwhile, Leftovers needs 369 HP to create 5x 92 HP subs (4 turns of Leftovers recovers 92 HP)

The difference between 244 vs 252 Def is minimal anyway e.g. CB Meow's Sucker still never breaks Tera Fairy sub, nor does Garg with Earthquake/+2 Body Press

Last edited:
The difference between 244 vs 252 Def is minimal anyway e.g. it makes no difference to CB Meow's Sucker (never breaks Tera Fairy sub), nor does Garg break sub with Earthquake/+2 Body Press
Alright, I think I understand what you’re trying to say. Thank you very much!

edit: wait hang on one thing I forgot to mention that I feel needs addressing, DO most seed Espathra run Roost to stay healthy?

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
edit: wait hang on one thing I forgot to mention that I feel needs addressing, DO most seed Espathra run Roost to stay healthy?
I've only seen Seed with sub tbh, which makes sense as the +1 Def really helps the sub survive. Roost variants enjoy the supplementary recovery from Leftovers.

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Contributor to Smogon
electric seed should be first slash, then roost also be first slash, electric seed gives another boost to stored power and a lot of physical bulk, it allows it to actually sit on Tinglu and not care. roost helps espathra further with this but it also allows to not be in priority range from mons like pao and gambit.

Tera Fairy allows Espathra to resist Dark-type attacks that would otherwise hit it super effectively(...)
say some examples of dark moves that tera fairy resists, like sucker punch from chienpao or kingambit.

(...)as well as making it less susc to getting worn down over time.
susceptible.

Espathra is a sweeper that functions best on aggressive teams to win a game(...)
first, a better term would be 'offensive' teams, not aggressive. second, its worded a bit weird, "to win a game after" is weird, i would try and rephrase

theres still a lot to do so tag me on discord after implementing the changes

electric seed should be first slash, then roost also be first slash, electric seed gives another boost to stored power and a lot of physical bulk, it allows it to actually sit on Tinglu and not care. roost helps espathra further with this but it also allows to not be in priority range from mons like pao and gambit.

say some examples of dark moves that tera fairy resists, like sucker punch from chienpao or kingambit.

susceptible.

first, a better term would be 'offensive' teams, not aggressive. second, its worded a bit weird, "to win a game after" is weird, i would try and rephrase

theres still a lot to do so tag me on discord after implementing the changes

Thanks for your help Corvere! I'll make sure to implement these changes, however there is one point I did want to ask you about.

it allows it to actually sit on Tinglu and not care.
Don't some Ting-Lu run Whirlwind to stop any setup shenanigans, like Substitute variants of Flutter Mane or, going along with the point of this thread, Espathra?

corvere

and beneath the mist, i saw my true reflection
is a Contributor to Smogon
Thanks for your help Corvere! I'll make sure to implement these changes, however there is one point I did want to ask you about.

Don't some Ting-Lu run Whirlwind to stop any setup shenanigans, like Substitute variants of Flutter Mane or, going along with the point of this thread, Espathra?
most tinglus dont run whirlwind. plus roost still helps to stay out of priority range.

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
Add
Delete
Comments
(RC) Remove Comma

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Stored Power
Add a bullet that explain that THE MAIN GIMMICK of Espathra is Stored Power + Speed Boost. This must be your first bullet, as it's the sheer reason why it's used.
  • Dazzling Gleam super effectively hits Dark-types that are immune to Stored Power, like Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Grimmsnarl.
  • Substitute allows protects Espathra to be immune to from potential status conditions that might stop its sweep, like Clodsire’s Toxic.
  • Protect, instead, allows Espathra to scout an enemy Pokémon’s attack give examples, such as Choice locked foes, freely gets a +1 boost to its in Speed, and get Leftovers recovery. Merge the two bullets above. Always capitalize words when you talk about a stat, like Attack, Defense, etc.
  • Roost allows keeps Espathra to stay healthy over the course of a game, as well as making and makes it less susceptible from getting worn down over time and keeping it out of KO range from priority attacks, like Sucker Punch from Chien-Pao and Kingambit's Sucker Punch. Roost also allows Espathra to beat Ting-Lu not packing Whirlwind one-on-one.
  • Tera Fairy allows turns Espathra's weakness to resist Dark-type attacks into a resistance that would otherwise hit it super effectively, letting it survive like the aforementioned Sucker Punch from Chien-Pao and Kingambit, as well as bolstering its Dazzling Gleam. Mention Tera Blast + Tera Fighting here, which also lets you resist Dark-type attacks but also beats these threats alongside Steel-types with Tera Blast, especially Kingambit and Iron Treads.
  • 112 EVs in Speed allow Espathra to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +1, including Iron Bundle (RC) at +1. At +2, Espathra can even outspeed +1 Iron Valiant.
  • 152 EVs in HP allow Espathra to create 4 Substitutes when holding Electric Seed, and 5 when holding Leftovers.
  • The rest of its EVs are poured into physical bulk so it can survive as long as possible against physical threats while boosting against special threats with Calm Mind. The two sentences above feels odd. Delete the first one, and mention instead how Leftovers gives you a long term recovery, which you can optimize with both Calm Mind and your moves in Substitute/Protect/Roost; and how the Electric Seed instead increases even more your physical bulk while also powering Stored Power.
  • Espathra is a sweeper that functions best on offensive teams to sweep after its checks have been weakened to the point where Espathra can break them. As Espathra is very frail (RC) and it usually can’t switch in safely come in more than once, so it has to fully commit to a sweep once it hits the field.
  • Fighting types like Koraidon and Great Tusk make for good partners, as they threaten Dark- and Steel-types that resist or are immune to Espathra’s Stored Power.
  • Strong Dark-types like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu also pair well with Espathra, as they resist Dark- and Ghost-type attacks aimed as which target Espathra while also threatening Ghost- and Psychic-types.
  • Miraidon is a necessary partner if Espathra is holding Electric Seed, as the Electric Terrain Miraidon sets up activates Espathra‘s Electric Seed, giving it a boost to its physical defense, allowing it to take more physical attacks while setting up while also giving Espathra another boost to Stored Power.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[corvere, 306317]], [Eledyr, 415367]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Tag me here or on Discord once implemented, content is good overall.

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
Add
Delete
(RC) Remove Comma

• Espathra’s niche is centered around its unique combination of Calm Mind, Speed Boost, and STAB Stored Power.
  • Dazzling Gleam super effectively hits Dark-types that are immune to Stored Power, like Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Grimmsnarl.
  • Substitute protects Espathra from potential status conditions that might stop its sweep, like Clodsire’s Toxic.
  • Protect, instead, Espathra to scout an attack from Choice-locked foes, such as Choice Specs Miraidon. In addition, Protect lets Espathra freely get a +1 boost to its Speed, and get Leftovers recovery.
  • Roost keeps Espathra healthy over the course of a game, and makes it less susceptible to priority attacks (RC) like Chien-Pao and Kingambit’s Sucker Punch. Roost also allows Espathra to beat Ting-Lu not packing Whirlwind one-on-one.
  • Tera Fairy turns Espathra‘s weakness to Dark-type attacks into a resistance, letting it survive the aforementioned Sucker Punch from Chien-Pao and Kingambit, as well as bolstering its Dazzling Gleam.
  • Tera Fighting also turns Espathra’s Dark weakness into a resistance. Paired with Tera Blast, it also beats the aforementioned Dark-types Kingambit and Chien-Pao, and it also allows Espathra to break Steel-types (RC) like Iron Treads.
  • 112 EVs in Speed allows Espathra to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +1, including Iron Bundle. At +2, Espathra can even outspeed +1 Iron Valiant.
  • The rest of its EVs are poured into physical bulk so it can survive as long as possible against physical threats while boosting against special threats with Calm Mind. Electric Seed further improves Espathra’s physical bulk while also giving it another boost to Stored Power. Leftovers gives Espathra long-term recovery and can be optimized with Calm Mind and the choice of Substitute, Protect, or Roost.
  • Espathra is a sweeper that functions best on offensive teams to sweep after its checks have been weakened. Espathra is very frail and it usually can’t switch in safely more than once, so it has to fully commit to a sweep once it hits the field.
  • Fighting types like Koraidon and Great Tusk make for good partners, as they threaten Dark- and Steel-types that resist or are immune to Espathra’s Stored Power.
  • Strong Dark-types like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu also pair well with Espathra, as they resist Dark- and Ghost-type attacks which target Espathra while also threatening Ghost- and Psychic-types.
  • Miraidon is a necessary partner if Espathra is holding Electric Seed, as the Electric Terrain Miraidon sets up activates Espathra‘s Electric Seed, giving it a boost to its physical defense, allowing it to take more physical attacks while setting up while also giving Espathra another boost to Stored Power.

QC 2/2 once it's implemented, well done boss!

Eledyr.gif

Add
Delete
(RC) Remove Comma

• Espathra’s niche is centered around its unique combination of Calm Mind, Speed Boost, and STAB Stored Power.
  • Substitute protects Espathra from potential status conditions that might stop its sweep, like Clodsire’s Toxic.
  • Protect, instead, Espathra to scout an attack from Choice-locked foes, such as Choice Specs Miraidon. In addition, Protect lets Espathra freely get a +1 boost to its Speed, and get Leftovers recovery.
  • Roost keeps Espathra healthy over the course of a game, and makes it less susceptible to priority attacks (RC) like Chien-Pao and Kingambit’s Sucker Punch. Roost also allows Espathra to beat Ting-Lu not packing Whirlwind one-on-one.
  • Tera Fairy turns Espathra‘s weakness to Dark-type attacks into a resistance, letting it survive the aforementioned Sucker Punch from Chien-Pao and Kingambit, as well as bolstering its Dazzling Gleam.
  • Tera Fighting also turns Espathra’s Dark weakness into a resistance. Paired with Tera Blast, it also beats the aforementioned Dark-types Kingambit and Chien-Pao, and it also allows Espathra to break Steel-types (RC) like Iron Treads.
  • 112 EVs in Speed allows Espathra to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +1, including Iron Bundle. At +2, Espathra can even outspeed +1 Iron Valiant.
  • The rest of its EVs are poured into physical bulk so it can survive as long as possible against physical threats while boosting against special threats with Calm Mind. Electric Seed further improves Espathra’s physical bulk while also giving it another boost to Stored Power. Leftovers gives Espathra long-term recovery and can be optimized with Calm Mind and the choice of Substitute, Protect, or Roost.
  • Espathra is a sweeper that functions best on offensive teams to sweep after its checks have been weakened. Espathra is very frail and it usually can’t switch in safely more than once, so it has to fully commit to a sweep once it hits the field.
  • Strong Dark-types like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu also pair well with Espathra, as they resist Dark- and Ghost-type attacks which target Espathra while also threatening Ghost- and Psychic-types.

QC 2/2 once it's implemented, well done boss!

View attachment 491089
Thanks very much Eledyr!

And I’m ready for the GP Team once again!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
fixed apostrophes from curly to straight '

[SET]

• Espathra's niche is centered around sweeping with its unique combination of Calm Mind, Speed Boost, and STAB Stored Power.
  • Dazzling Gleam super effectively hits Dark-types that Dark-types, which are immune to Stored Power, like Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Grimmsnarl.
  • Substitute protects Espathra from potential status conditions that might stop its sweep, like from Clodsire's Toxic.
  • Protect, instead, Espathra to scout an attack from allows Espathra to scout Choice-locked foes, such as Choice Specs Miraidon. In addition, Protect lets Espathra freely get a boost to its Speed, and boost its Speed and get Leftovers recovery.
  • Roost keeps Espathra healthy over the course of a game, and makes it less susceptible to priority attacks, like Chien-Pao and Kingambit's Sucker Punch. Roost also allows Espathra to beat Ting-Lu not packing Whirlwind one-on-one.
  • Tera Fairy turns Espathra's weakness to Dark-type attacks Dark weakness into a resistance, letting it survive the aforementioned Sucker Punch from Chien-Pao and Kingambit, as well as bolstering its Dazzling Gleam.
  • Tera Fighting also turns Espathra's Dark weakness into a resistance. Paired with Tera Blast, it also beats the aforementioned Dark-types, (AC) Kingambit and Chien-Pao, and Steel-types like Iron Treads.
  • 112 EVs in Speed allow Espathra to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +1, including Iron Bundle. At +2, Espathra it can even outspeed +1 Iron Valiant.
  • The rest of its EVs are poured into physical bulk so it can survive as long as possible. for survivability, since Calm Mind will boost Special Defense anyway. (I imagine?) Electric Seed further improves Espathra's physical bulk while also giving it another boost to Stored Power. Leftovers gives Espathra long-term recovery and recovery, and it can be optimized with Calm Mind and the choice of Substitute, Protect, or Roost.
  • Espathra is a sweeper that functions best on offensive teams to sweep after its checks have been weakened. Espathra is very frail and it usually can't switch in safely more than once, so it has to must fully commit to a sweep once it hits the field.
  • Fighting-types (added hyphen) like Koraidon and Great Tusk make for good partners, as they threaten Dark- and Steel-types that resist or are immune to Espathra's Stored Power.
  • Strong Dark-types like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu also pair well with Espathra, as they resist Dark- and Ghost-type attacks, (AC) which target Espathra, (AC) while also threatening Ghost- and Psychic-types. The former threaten Espathra, and the latter resist Stored Power. (I imagine?)
  • Miraidon is a necessary partner if Espathra is holding Electric Seed, as the Electric Terrain Miraidon sets up activates Espathra‘s Electric Seed, giving it a boost to its physical defense, allowing it to take more physical attacks while setting up while also giving Espathra another boost to Stored Power. its Electric Terrain activates the item.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[corvere, 306317], (removed extra brackets) [Eledyr, 415367]]
Adeleine-1.gif

GP Team done

Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
fixed apostrophes from curly to straight '

[SET]

• Espathra's niche is centered around sweeping with its unique combination of Calm Mind, Speed Boost, and STAB Stored Power.
  • Dazzling Gleam super effectively hits Dark-types that Dark-types, which are immune to Stored Power, like Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Grimmsnarl.
  • Substitute protects Espathra from potential status conditions that might stop its sweep, like from Clodsire's Toxic.
  • Protect, instead, Espathra to scout an attack from allows Espathra to scout Choice-locked foes, such as Choice Specs Miraidon. In addition, Protect lets Espathra freely get a boost to its Speed, and boost its Speed and get Leftovers recovery.
  • Roost keeps Espathra healthy over the course of a game, and makes it less susceptible to priority attacks, like Chien-Pao and Kingambit's Sucker Punch. Roost also allows Espathra to beat Ting-Lu not packing Whirlwind one-on-one.
  • Tera Fairy turns Espathra's weakness to Dark-type attacks Dark weakness into a resistance, letting it survive the aforementioned Sucker Punch from Chien-Pao and Kingambit, as well as bolstering its Dazzling Gleam.
  • Tera Fighting also turns Espathra's Dark weakness into a resistance. Paired with Tera Blast, it also beats the aforementioned Dark-types, (AC) Kingambit and Chien-Pao, and Steel-types like Iron Treads.
  • 112 EVs in Speed allow Espathra to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame at +1, including Iron Bundle. At +2, Espathra it can even outspeed +1 Iron Valiant.
  • The rest of its EVs are poured into physical bulk so it can survive as long as possible. for survivability, since Calm Mind will boost Special Defense anyway. (I imagine?) Electric Seed further improves Espathra's physical bulk while also giving it another boost to Stored Power. Leftovers gives Espathra long-term recovery and recovery, and it can be optimized with Calm Mind and the choice of Substitute, Protect, or Roost.
  • Espathra is a sweeper that functions best on offensive teams to sweep after its checks have been weakened. Espathra is very frail and it usually can't switch in safely more than once, so it has to must fully commit to a sweep once it hits the field.
  • Fighting-types (added hyphen) like Koraidon and Great Tusk make for good partners, as they threaten Dark- and Steel-types that resist or are immune to Espathra's Stored Power.
  • Strong Dark-types like Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu also pair well with Espathra, as they resist Dark- and Ghost-type attacks, (AC) which target Espathra, (AC) while also threatening Ghost- and Psychic-types. The former threaten Espathra, and the latter resist Stored Power. (I imagine?)
  • Miraidon is a necessary partner if Espathra is holding Electric Seed, as the Electric Terrain Miraidon sets up activates Espathra‘s Electric Seed, giving it a boost to its physical defense, allowing it to take more physical attacks while setting up while also giving Espathra another boost to Stored Power. its Electric Terrain activates the item.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[corvere, 306317], (removed extra brackets) [Eledyr, 415367]]
View attachment 491921
GP Team done
All of this has been implemented! Please do lmk if anything else needs changing, otherwise, we’re ready to let the ostrich out against the world!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)