Resource PUWC II Team Dump

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
ORAS Dump here, fun season

:swalot::grumpig::monferno::golem::leafeon::cryogonal:

keppy was in our chat and I asked him what he wanted me to use, Swalot came up and this is what I got

As stated in the paste the AV Swalot spread is for Floatzel! Swalot is a really interesting pokemon in this tier. It hits a lot for relatively decent damage, has some nice bulk, but needs to be played really well. Scarf pig has been one of my fav mons in the tier and really turns the tides of the battle every time it is in. The rest is fairly standard, Monf Golem Leaf (I have at least 2 out of the 3 on basically every build it feels like) + some removal. S/o to Quick Claw Leafeon for not activating in the actual battle, but being a really dope option for stealing games! If you randomly outspeed a Floatzel or something then you've opened up the game a lot, same with Scarf Rotom.

:simisear::mr-mime::roselia::gabite::rotom-frost::misdreavus:

I didnt really know what to bring this week and had asked my team what they thought. sensei axew and gum (I believe both) had said mime + simi looked cool, heres what was made!

Knock on Simisear is a really dope option and opens up other breakers a good bit. Sub Twisted Spoon Mime is forever scary and takes advantage of Simi's breaking progress making prowess. Spikes and Rocks + Roar in Rose and Gabite, Frostom is the Scarfer and Misdreavus gives some nice immunities and can randomly win games.

:Misdreavus::Girafarig::leafeon::leavanny::combusken::gabite:

Girafarig webs, I actually made this week 1 in 2 minutes but figured id save it for down the line if I wanted to fuck around!

Girafarig is not good and I would not recommend using it, but it does have a ghost immunity unlike our other Psychics, and a Grass immunity so idk Roselia cant heal on ur switch (or Sleep you). With webs you can do something though, and it doesnt hit too much like a wet noodle at +2! Misdreavus spin blocks while the rest of the team tries its best to pressure foggers. Quick Attack Leafeon is a nice surprise, Combusken always does made damage, Gabite does Gabite things

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hi. Today my team got eliminated out of PUWC, and while I'm of course disappointed that we didn't make it all the way, I'm extremely proud of everyone on our team that enabled us to get this far in the first place. I have to say coming into this tournament I was quite reluctant to play for a rest of world type team, but I ended up loving our team and I'm really glad I decided to participate instead of just building for Canada like my initial plan was. It's funny because after a week or two I ended up becoming really invested in this tournament and building a few teams. It's unfortunate that the majority of the SS builds are outdated now, but I did also build for BW, ORAS and USUM and gained a better understanding of each as the tournament progressed. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the teams I post here and my explanations for each. If you'd like to see me explain my thought process for my five games of the regular season then there is a video here detailing those.

Teams
  • Week 1 vs Canada
SS | chlo vs Z Strats (W) | Importable | Replay

I explained this in the aforementioned video a little but my thought process going into this game was that people were less prepared for OTR Gourgeist-XL and I didn't think Ray would have knowledge of the set to begin with. It ended up going alright even if Gourgeist-XL had no say in the outcome of the match. Jolteon was nice speed control at the time with less focus on electric immunities coming into the tour, plus it ended up just being something I wanted to use.

• Week 2 vs France
SS | chlo vs Alkione (W) | Importable | Replay

Simple thoughts going into this match. Didn't have much to scout from in terms of Alkione, I didn't know if Squash was building but I did like the idea of bringing CM Uxie since I doubted he'd bring reliable counterplay. Ended up switching to Mesprit to hide what it was on preview, in addition to my overuse of Mesprit in previous tournaments. Still rate Clefairy highly in this previous meta with the abundance of Charizard and Scrafty, and prevalence of Regirock as a Charizard check. Maybe not so much now that CB Scrafty has taken off. Anyway, I ended up being right in regards to CM Stored Power being a good pick and it won pretty cleanly.

SS | PTF vs ProDigeZz (W) | Importable | Replay

Choice Specs Jellicent was very good and continues to be. There wasn't too much thought put into this if I recall correctly, there were multiple versions and this was the one PTF liked most. ojr ended up suggesting Encore over Toxic on Audino to win the Aromatherapy Ribombee matchup and I think PTF changed Neutralizing Gas to Levitate because he INSISTS on making me MAD >:( but it worked out so it's all okay. :3

SS | gorex vs Squash (L) | Importable | Replay

I stole the team I brought vs termi in SCL and changed a few sets around so that gorex had something to use last minute. Ended up being okay but I think some crucial misplays, as well as just us not ensuring gorex had a sufficient understanding of what he was using going into the game, ended up costing us this one.

• Week 3 vs Latin America
SS | chlo vs beatiful (W) | Importable | Replay

I wanted to use SD Substitute Silvally-Ghost going in because Drampa was gone and I thought it'd be kinda cool before the Regirock trend caught on completely. bea ended up bringing Magmortar which was a terrible matchup for this team but post that dying, I had the tools to allow me to win and it worked out pretty well. Trick HWish Scarf Mesprit back to saving my ass again.

SS | gorex vs Feliburn (W) | Importable | Replay

Gallade is obviously very good and I wanted momentum to bring it in. Tried Scyther initially as I liked that but eventually needed a Charizard check and these things just come together like this sometimes. Initially I think I had a Palossand on here but we were too weak to Silvally-Ghost so we changed to Sandaconda. I think this was a decent build, gorex used it well and that's the end of that story!

SM | ninjadog vs Gondra (W) | Importable | Replay
:stoutland::oricorio-pom-pom::sandslash-alola::jellicent::mudsdale::abomasnow:
I didn't really like the USUM builds of the first two weeks so I decided to take on that responsibility. Didn't really know what to build so I decided to build around Stoutland and then I got carried away eventually and added a Choice Scarf Abomasnow which is a set I've loved for years and I believe it still holds up very well.

• Week 4 vs US Midwest
SS | chlo vs Confide (L) | Importable | Replay

Centiskorch was something I hadn't built around for this tournament yet, so I decided to give it a go. I liked the team a lot, probably would've gone Regirock > Gigalith, and Synthesis > U-turn on Tsareena but overall I think my fault here was letting Jellicent die to a Power Whip. I explained what I could've done a lot better in the video I posted above.

SS | gorex vs avarice (W) | Importable | Replay

We looked at all of avarice's builds and they all looked extremely week to Substitute Perrserker so I just picked up a random team I built for SCL at some point and gave it to gorex since it looked really nice here and it ended up working really well. Extremely good pick on our part. We initially were going to bring some sort of team built around offensive Charizard since avarice had a tendency to over rely on Regirock but due to him losing to that the previous week, we went with this instead. Good choice that clutched us the week.

SM | ninjadog vs Luthier (L) | Importable | Replay
:omastar::lurantis::skuntank::mudsdale::crabominable::oricorio-pom-pom:
Omastar is one of my favourite Pokemon ever, and I really like it in USUM PU. Consistently underrated and breaks through everything with Waterium Z especially once Cursed Body Jellicent overtook Water Absorb in usage. I thought this team was pretty cool, we maybe overprepared for Simisear with Rindo Berry on Mudsdale, because our Fighting-type checks were Lurantis and Mudsdale, neither of which take Primeape particularly well. Luthier won this through baiting us with Primeape since once Omastar set up it should have just won, but ninja played it safe expecting the Primeape to be Choice Scarf like usual like he should have and that unfortunately ended up costing us.
  • Week 5 vs United Kingdom
SS | chlo vs MalMoonsault (W) | Importable | Replay

Lost to stall the previous week, so I decided to load up no stallbreaker this week. Brought the team I'd built for gorex the previous week because I wanted something I knew was reliable. Just fortunate that stresh's stall that he passed here was incredibly weak to Tsareena due to over reliance on Golbat. Tsareena pulled through eventually as I had weakened Golbat and Corsola-Galar during the match.

SS | PTF vs simp (W) | Importable | Replay

This was just my week 2 team against Alkione, with an Uxie over Mesprit, since PTF had stated he wanted to try using Uxie here. It went incredibly well as expected and I'm glad we went with it.
  • Semifinals vs Europe
SS | chlo vs Aliss (L) | Importable | Replay

Annoyed at myself here obviously but like I went into this with CB Perrserker but was scared of my Tsareena matchup so I changed it to Silvally-Poison last second. Did not have enough breaking power to get through Spiritomb anymore and the game was lost once I let it set up. I should've pressured with Tsareena earlier but didn't know the calcs. Just a poor showing on my part.

SS | gorex vs termi (W) | Importable | Replay

termi brought Ribombee almost every week so we had to do this, CB Scrafty the goat, the MVP, in addition to Choice Specs Jellicent enabled us to win here with relative ease. Everything else is super standard and needs no introduction. Very happy with how this played out given my initial plan for this was sorta gimmicky and unfair.

SS | iNasty vs tlenit (L) | Importable | Replay

I blame myself for this one too. Gave Nasty the team I'd passed gorex earlier in the tournament and he made a few changes. One was Leaf Blade over Thunder Punch. I told him to change it to Knock Off and then tlenit brought a fricking PALOSSAND and i was like NO WAY NO WAY and was literally crying and I was so sad and this was me:

SM | ninjadog vs Santu (W) | Importable | Replay
:drampa::victreebel::cryogonal::mudsdale::primeape::jellicent:
Gave ninja the option of two teams, he liked this better, Taunt Jellicent ended up being an amazing matchup but Santu haxed it and almost won through that. I do like this team though and ninja piloted it pretty well. Drampa + Victreebel was fun for sure though even if it didn't end up seeing too much usage in the actual match.

Unused Teams
(Click on sprites for teams)
  • SS
I built a LOT for this tournament. As I said earlier on, I did get quite invested after the first few weeks and I'm fortunate the metagame hadn't changed too much since SCL which I had already built a lot for. These teams bar maybe one or two were new though and hadn't been just rehashes of old teams. We tried a lot but it was incredibly difficult to be very creative in the meta we were playing in here. Even though these are outdated due to tier shifts, you might find an idea that you like throughout these teams.

• SM
Took SM into my own hands after the second week didn't go so well, I enjoyed building for this format again, as I hadn't built since the previous instance of USUM PU which was I believe a ROA tournament. Looking forward to playing this in Classic again as I do have a few ideas that I didn't even bother building yet due to wanting to use reliable stuff for this tournament.
:golurk::tangela::skuntank::sandslash-alola::lanturn::primeape:
:aurorus::jellicent::oricorio-pom-pom::primeape::torterra::sandslash-alola:
:lycanroc::jellicent::torterra::skuntank::altaria::primeape:
:simisear::qwilfish::lurantis::eelektross::kangaskhan::sableye:
  • XY
Before this tournament I had never played ORAS PU in my life other than a few random room tournaments every now and again. I grew to really love the format. This was super fun to play and test for and I honestly was surprised I hadn't gotten into it sooner. There are so many cool Pokemon in this tier and honestly the most fun I had of this tournament was building and testing for this format. The first two teams here are different versions of a team PTF and I built together for Aberforth's semifinals match. He ended up not feeling great with it, so I believe zS and PTF worked on something else which is what he ended up bringing.
:bouffalant::rotom-frost::altaria::krokorok::bronzor::lumineon:
:bouffalant::rotom-frost::pelipper::krokorok::probopass::tangela:
:swanna::leafeon::golem::muk::pawniard::mr-mime:
:cacturne::mawile::grumpig::vibrava::muk::swanna:
:simipour::kingler::bouffalant::clefairy::golem::mr-mime:
  • BW
I never built for our BW slot per se but I built a few teams to help with testing. Seems like a fun meta and hopefully one I can experience more of in Classic. I don't know this meta that well though so I do not vouch for these teams whatsoever lol.
:shiftry::stunfisk::klang::tentacool::dodrio::beheeyem:
:monferno::scraggy::vileplume::pelipper::gabite::klang:
:golduck::tentacool::bronzor::stoutland::torterra::monferno:
:rampardos::simisage::zebstrika::golduck::ursaring::beheeyem:
:swoobat::klang::gabite::scraggy::leafeon::tentacool:

Unused Sets
These didn't even get a team built around them, so you know how bad they are.

• SS
:ss/silvally-dragon:
Silvally-Dragon @ Dragon Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Iron Head
- Flame Charge

This is definitely the most coherent of the sets here but I still had trouble justifying it. A Dragon type that can muscle through Togedemaru / Ribombee with ease and sweep is not the worst thing in the world, but building around it is somewhat difficult and something I didn't really get around to doing.

:ss/gallade:
Gallade (M) @ Muscle Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Wish
- Protect

The thought here was I only need these two moves and I wanna prevent myself constantly whittling myself down, but at the same time I hate being walled by Mesprit, Articuno-Galar, Uxie, etc so there's no way I can justify bringing this.

:ss/omanyte:
Omanyte @ Power Herb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Meteor Beam

I was tempted but I stopped myself, if only this was a little bit faster I'd probably have begged to bring it LOL.

• SM
:sm/stoutland:
Stoutland @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Toxic

Not horrible at all honestly, but there was sort of a concern with how much Mudsdale was being used. Just a set I didn't really want to build around just because of Mudsdale but otherwise it seems pretty good and plows through a lot of common builds with the right support.

Conclusion
Overall, I'm really content that I decided to play for PUWC this time around instead of sitting out again. I had a lot of fun, got to meet cool new people, learn metagames I'd previously paid almost no attention to, and have a decent performance in a PU forum team tournament for a change.
I would've done a few things differently, winning either my R4 game or Semis game would've helped us tenfold and I wish I'd brought different things but it's no use thinking about that now.

Thank you to everyone on the team for being amazing and enjoyable to work with and especially zS for contacting me and asking me to play for this as I initially had no intention of doing so. Also props to Aberforth who I literally begged to play for this, and he agreed on condition I'd be building for him, and then I didn't end up building for him OOPS. Anyway, thanks to everyone on AAA you were great and I look forward to us going all the way next year.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I already made a video about my PUWC run, but here's my team dump for what I made for ORAS PU:

:stoutland::mr-mime::golem::pelipper::ninetales::simisage:

Week 1 vs RawMelon (L)

This team overall is pretty balanced in nature. CB Stoutland + Scarf Mr. Mime can help each other break through shared checks, or using Stoutland to weaken Steel-types for Mime or Mime to HW Stoutland back up to wallbreak again. Golem + Pelipper makes a solid defensive core with SubSalac NP Ninetales acting as the main wincon while Simisage helps as a faster mixed wallbreaker with Yache Berry here to help since the team is very weak to Floatzel. Unfortunately, RawMelon brought the very mon i didn't wanna see at team preview being Floatzel and overall played pretty badly with Pelipper and got punished badly by not Defogging sooner with Pelipper and RawMelon specifically bringing Jolly Golem meant to creep the very Pelipper i brought. There were other misplays on my part like Superpowering the Golem, but overall, the team still felt solid despite my misplays.

:grumpig::leafeon::golem::swanna::bouffalant::ampharos:

Week 2 vs Zephyri (W)

This team came together after doing a mock against RawMelon and getting destroyed with the only thing staying from the original team being the Leafeon. After some tweaks, CM Grumpig felt decent enough to make into a wincon with Scarf Leafeon there for last ditch check for Floatzel. After learning from my mistake from W1, Jolly Golem was the way to go to at least speedtie opposing Jolly Golems which ending up paying off since my opponet didn't even bring a Ground resist, so Earthquakes were free. I didn't have much info regarding how my opponent builds, but after seeing India bring webs, I wanted a remover that punished Pawniard and Purugly expecting a Defog, so I settled on Swanna. Bouffalant is never bad and did work in the actual game almost sweeping until I blanked on putting Prinplup in Torrent range. Lastly, was I wanted a better Floatzel check and Heal Bell support for my wincons, Clefairy was originally the 6th member, but the team didn't have a good Knock Off deterrent so I settled for Ampharos as it was only Heal Bell user not restricted by an item. EVs lets it take any 2 LO hits from Floatzel whether physical or special.

:beheeyem::golem::quilladin::altaria::floatzel::rotom-frost:

Week 3 vs Spl4sh (W)

Looking at what Brazil brought the first 2 weeks, they pretty much brought hazard stack HO with a Floatzel, so my mindset was "If you hazard stack me, I'll hazard stack you." I started with something that wasn't gonna be pressured by hazards, so bulky NP Beheeyem was the starting point. Next was the hazard stack core and Quilladin is the spiker since it's nice to have a spiker that comes in on Golem. Speaking of which, if any team didn't need a Golem, this was the team since it wasn't weak to Electrics between Beheeyem and Quilladin, but I got lazy lol. DD Altaria helps against Monferno and benefits from hazards up since it's still pretty weak even after a DD. Floatzel is here for general speed and Scarf Rotom-Frost for revenge killing.

:muk::mr-mime::vibrava::probopass::floatzel::zebstrika:

Week 4 Chaitanya vs Pohjis (L)

This was a game I game I wanted to play, but luckily Chaitanya was able to sub in for me. Chait wanted a balanced team, so I built this team with the tools needed to win with either Muk or Specs Mime which did a lot of work considering what Pohjis ended up bringing. Vibrava covered Golem and provided momentum into Mime, Probopass traps Steels that stops Muk from sweeping, Scarf Floatzel was an odd choice, but it outsped all scarfers and can still cripples defensive Pokemon with Switcheroo and Zebstrika for general speed.

:beheeyem::monferno::ursaring::lumineon::golem::rotom-frost:

Week 5 vs Lennart (W)

This was a must win week for us, and after looking through their replays, Germany had only brought 1 Psychic resist which was Mawile (which isn't a resist tbh). This to me meant Specs Beheeyem does work, so I built this team with the idea of making sure I had given Beheeyem every opportunity to get in and nuke something. Monferno + Ursaring covered Dark and Steels, Lumineon provided Defog support and has HP Electric for Floatzel, Golem is forever good, and Scarf Rotom-Frost for speed control.

Now for some other teams/sets:

:ursaring::dodrio::sawsbuck-winter::relicanth::muk::zebstrika:

What I built vs Pohjis

If I didn't have to get subbed out, this was the team I was bringing vs Pohjis. Pohjis's teams had a similiar vibe with some scarfer, normal resist, and some other physically defensive pokemon with recovery (Pelipper, Tangela, bulky NP Beheeyem), and that to me screamed overwhelm him with Normal Spam. Ursaring + Dodrio helps each other break down shared checks whereas Scarf Sawsbuck was there for speed and solid revenge killing. Chople offensive rocks Relicanth checks Golem and lures in Monferno for my 3 Normal types, Muk benefits from Poison resists being gone, and Zebstrika provides the natural speed.

:regigigas:

God (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 172 HP / 140 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Knock Off
- Secret Power

If we had made it to finals, this set was gonna come if only to dissuade anyone trying to getting a win with that modified Dundies stall team. HP hits 404 for random S-Toss and Muk can't break your sub without a Curse boost, speed for Audino before Slow Start, and then outspeeds max speed base 80s afterwards. Secret Power doesn't make contact, so you don't have to worry about risking getting Static paralyzed by Stunfisk, let alone take Rocky Helmet chip.

:crustle:

Crustle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This set is odd and like lead Crustle, but I forgo attacking power for a sturdier Normal check + Stealth Rock setter + wincon with some staying power that wasn't Tank Golem. Coverage is interchangable and the speed lets you outspeed Zebstrika at +2.

:mawile:

Mawile @ Air Balloon
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 136 Atk / 156 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Play Rough

This i was only gonna bring if we were already out of playoffs at the end. This idea came from chlo trying to reenact her Sub SS Carracosta which she used to set up on a Sandaconda. I tried to do a similiar thing here and take advantage of Golems looking for a free EQ but can't due to Air Balloon. Speed outspeeds Jolly Golem with the defense ensuring that Stone Edge from Jolly Golem never breaks sub after Intimidate.

Overall, this was a fun tour for me especially considering this was my first time going positive in a team tour. Thanks again to Vulpix03 for letting me play and giving me the reigns for ORAS.

DPP PU teams

Week 1 vs Raichy (W)

:Machoke: :Golbat: :Whiscash: :Bellossom: :Sneasel: :Metang:

https://pokepast.es/153bc20cdbcfee46

This team uses CB Golbat to threaten grass types and a myriad of mon that sit at the 80/85 speed tier like Misdreavus, Golduck etc. Unlike Muk it can U-Turn on the ever present Rhydon/Metang/Relicanth that usually wall poison types to death. Specs Whiscash is used so grass types can’t switch freely into me. This way Golbat is free to U-Turn and doesn’t have to give free switches in case Sleep Talk choses Brave Bird. It also means less Stealth Rock damage. Bite is used on Sneasel because Magmar is broken. Machoke threatens rockers for Golbat and Sneasel.

Week 2 vs StitChuu (W)

:Glalie: :Purugly: :Victreebel: :Golduck: :Rhydon: :Misdreavus:

I didn’t build my week 2 team. It is a team by GeneralAnnoyance that I changed by putting Icy Wind on Glalie for Taunt leads. This is especially useful if you expect a Kadabra lead. No pokepaste because it's not my team.

Week 3 vs fatty (W)

:Relicanth: :Muk: :Metang: :Tangela: :Politoed: :Sneasel:

https://pokepast.es/aa9e50dcda757e5f

This is a bulky team that stacks defensive counterplay to a lot of threats and uses Sneasel as speed control and way of trapping some frail wall/stallbreakers. Chople Berry is an interesting item for Relicanth that allows it to tank CC by Zangoose, beat Machoke lead most of the time, tank Monferno etc.

Week 4 vs Estarossa (W)

:Magmar: :Monferno: :Torkoal: :Bellossom: :Tangela: :Metang:

https://pokepast.es/b5191590d0426e67

This team uses a bunch of fire types to abuse the very common Metang/grass type/Misdreavus structure that a lot of people use in DPP PU. Grass types have a good synergy with it and are always threatening because of DPP sleep mechanics. Metang last to round off the team and provide a toxic immunity. This way I can switch into a predicted Toxic from Mantine/Politoed and threaten with Thunder Punch. Metang is imo DPP PU’s best mon.

Week 5 vs Heysup (W)

:Golduck: :Rhydon: :Metang: :Muk: :Tangela: :Sneasel:

https://pokepast.es/1db53a4535383ee5

Specs Golduck is imo an excellent lead in this spikes infested metagame. Thanks to Damp, Glalie and Torkoal can’t touch it. It destroys Misdreavus, Armaldo, Magmar and Machoke if no sash. Muk is using CB hoping to lure some stuff for Sneasel. Beat Up on Sneasel is a tech to surprise Kadabra leads. Rock Polish Rhydon sweeps teams after Golduck weakened the opposing grass types. It might also be able to lure Quagsire with Natural Gift so Golduck can use its water stab freely.

Week 6 vs Hyogafodex (W)

:Glalie: :Glaceon: :Electabuzz: :Magmar: :Metang: :Relicanth:

https://pokepast.es/b2a6d0d534ab158b

This is a spikes HO that uses a double Salac Berry Endure strategy. This way Magmar and Electabuzz have a better chance of sweeping opposing teams and trigger Static/Flame Body. Metang because it’s the best rocker. Then Scarf Relicanth is very threatening with spikes and beats all priority users thanks to its massive physical bulk. Glaceon is the wallbreaker, it weakens Metang/Politoed for the sweepers.

:aurorus: :charizard: :whimsicott: :scrafty: :togedemaru: :jellicent: Week 3

I wanted to use Hail because I think it got unbanned the week before. I tried using Vanilluxe but I quickly realized how much worse that mon is at breaking so I went with the OG Aurorus which had EP for steels and had Rocks.

The team ended up working but I think it does suffer from the fact that Aurorus never really wants to click Rocks because it prefers attacking whats in front of it so they may never go up. The team originally had Tsar > Whim but Scrafty was a issue and Charizard being the fasted mon on the team would mean struggling vs Archeops and Scyther. But Whimsicott is so damn weak that it doesn't really matter.

Aurorus @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Tomb / Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power

Aurorus is basically Vanilluxe but with a better typing and the ability to break Steels easier. Rock Tomb lets you break Articuno stalls and can ease prediction thanks to the lowering of the Speed. I am convinced its the true best Blizzard breaker in the tier.

In today's metagame the team probably wouldn't work. Aurorus needs Meteor Beam to break Glastier and Calm Mind Espeon would flat 6/0. The other 2 teams I used in this tour were from TJ and avarice so shout out to them :).

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
The one and only team I built for PUWC, but ended up being Xiri s game three team in circuit playoffs that we never saw:
:archeops: - :vanilluxe: - :audino: - :palossand: - :ferroseed: - :hitmontop:(click to open)
Idea was to create something as anti meta as possible around Vanilluxe since every team looked pretty much the same with very little if any twists. In practice wanted to cover and have defensive counter plays for Ribombee, Gallade, Aggron/Regirock/Sandaconda, Arhceops, Charizard and Tsareena to name few meta staple mons that you basically will see in every team. Because the list is fairly long and versatile, it meant creating four Mon backbone was must. Audino-Palossand-Ferroseed already felt pretty good together, but unfortunately Tsareena can and will push through Ferroseed. Therefore defensive Hitmontop made lot of sense and provides very much needed rapid spin to our already strong looking hazard game.

To be fair, I did find hard time to fill Hitmontops last slot. Rock slide eventually felt most controversial (regardless not being able to hit hard enough Tsareena, but toxic alone limits Tsareena enough) to hit and pressure Charizard/Ribombee/GalarCuno/Scyther. Would probably prefer triple axel, if Hitmontop was able to run other ability over intimidate, but thats must to cover Tsareena.

Offensively team relies a lot on Archeops-Vanilluxe core to break and creating holes. Archeops pivots Vanilluxe in and then something usually takes massive hit from blizzard. In this specific meta game SpDef Togedemaru was very common and able to avoid being 2hko'd by blizzard, but thats where all the hazards, RH Palossand, iron barbs from Ferroseed, hail chip and the fact Togedemaru is always forced to wish comes to play. Togedemaru gets overpressured early on and starts to struggle before you even notice. Theory wise the common rotation to make the most out of Vanilluxe is Ferroseed being in - opposite Charizard comes in to defog spikes - our archeops comes in and pivots Vanilluxe in. Then keep repeating. Alternatively any rocker besides Aggron allows us to abuse Hitmontops Eject Button to pivot Vanilluxe in. If they put rocks up, we spin. In case Aggron is the rocker, we rotate through Archeops again Vanilluxe in.

Vanilluxes ice shard felt also quite important. We are not aiming to click it almost ever, but found out that the team actually chips teams hard enough to make ice shard worth over water pulse in long run. This will also help with "random" endure/sash shenanigans that you might find in tour environment as a wincons.

All in all, very simple and yet effective anti meta squad. The one and only game it ended up being used worked out well and didn't leave too much to opponent to rely on regardless of them playing for their outs very well: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1486502861-mlo5mwszmuk4qn3kr35f29ykim3h8t3pw

Extra replay to point out its effectiveness against very different looking team: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1492734937-n48zjmf1neholdbbk41u70zdrb45yb6pw

Thanks to team Europe for this tour and unfort that it didn't pay off as we wanted. Also from hosts POV this tour ran super smoothly. Thanks to all players and captains making this tour very enjoyable from both ends, hosting and playing,

Cheers guys!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)