Tournament PUPL V - Finals (won by the Destructive Dedennes)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Just wanted to say thanks to my team for picking me and giving me a fun experience overall. 6-0 is a great record and some of it I am proud of as a player, but without the continuous team support, I am not sure how I would have done. Rexus and HJAD both were pretty awesome in that department. Tricking and Jarii both bossed it up in battle alongside me, which let us get to this point, so big props to the two of you, too. Teddeh it is fun to team with you always, but fuck your dumbass Claydol and sorry your games were p lame overall. The rest of you were strong players, too, and thanks to the helpers who joined -- I hope you guys had fun!

I really enjoy this metagame and hope to play it in the future (definitely PU Open, but perhaps also whatever circuit tours there are and maybe Snake if the stars align). At first I thought I would lose interest when Mesprit went NU, but that's not really the case at all. Either way, very fun tier and tournament. Special shoutouts to mael and triangles for their continuous devotion towards the Dedenne cause. Hopefully I'll be back next year to win my third straight PUPL, but who the fuck knows what gen 8 will bring.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations to the Dedennes for winning PUPL V! This was a super impressive run in an otherwise ridiculously close PL, and congratulations to the Victreebels for getting it this close vs. a team that went undefeated in group stages and pulled off 8-0 and 7-1 weeks. This was my first time hosting a PL, and while I'm glad it led to such an entertaining finals and season, I'd still rather be playing/managing so hopefully it'll also be my last. Regardless, thanks everyone for making this a mostly fun experience.

Speaking of an imperfect hosting experience... we have a player records sheet!. Finally! Please let me know if you find any errors on there. Here's some brief trivia:
13 / 73 or 16% of players managed to achieve a better than +1 W/L. 15 / 73 or 20.5% had a record worse than -1.
The best SM records were Finchinator and Jarii with very impressive 6-0s. Teddeh had the best ORAS record with 4-1, going 4-0 in group stages and becoming the only person to defeat gasquakee in a PUPL game. cb aaron judge had the best BW at 5-2, although he only went 3-2 in group stages. This would've left him tied with EviGaro and KW, who also went 3-2 but did not reach playoffs. The best DPP record goes to Heysup, whose 5-3 record just outstrips DurzaOffTopic's 4-3.
Much to my chagrin, nobody managed to reach a -5 record.
From skimming through the Overall PUPL Records Sheet (which will probably be updated soon with this), Finch and Jarii's 6-0 records join a very select club of users. 6-0 is the best record ever achieved in a PUPL (I don't believe we've had a finals tiebreaker before now and there are a good deal more 5-0s), and the only other people to pull it off are Teddeh, ggggd, Optical Real, and Omfuga... twice.

First off i'm really proud of my team, we managed to get some major records. It would've been a waste if we didn't win. Tricking that game was insanity, I can legit say that I haven't seen a better played game in SM PU than what you showed in the tiebreaker. You're a better clutchalos than clutchalos himself.
Finchinator the other goat of the team clutching alongside with Tricking, i'm happy to finally team up with you after years. I think we got to know / understand each other better which i'm happy about.
HJAD thank you for buying me, it was a pleasure to play on this team.

The rest of the team you all did well and it was fun the whole way through, especially Mael and Triangles who were the foundations of our team.

I had a blast playing this metagame and i'm obviously really proud of the record I ended up with. Obviously this wasn't possible if our teambuilders weren't such goats at building my teams, I asked something and got 3 teams to choose from each week. Thanks guys you know who you are.

Finally I can post this calc
60+ SpA Eelektross Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Qwilfish: 296-350 (88.6 - 104.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO Don't be tilted about it Robert, it was in my favour :3

HJAD clone out.

wassup my brothas
what a journey this PUPL has been, and its definitely NOT been for the better. Its safe to say I lost full composure after the heartbreak that was Teddeh's loss, to regain for my game, and then lose full composure for second time in a few hours after I missed the infamous hustle outrage. I managed to somewhat keep my composure during playoffs due to the circumstances we were put in playoffs. Nobody after the tour could really say we weren't the best team especially given the shithousery that went on in finals despite whatever the result was in the playoffs bo3, which I was happy enough to accept. It would have been a huge waste however if we didn't end up winning; given all of our talent, records and synergy, anything other than 1st place would have been hugely disappointing. My overriding emotion atm is relief given that any other result would have just felt wrong. Onto the shoutouts! (alphabetical order):

dibs duoooooo we all know the alphabet starts with DIBS, and my goodness am I happy that I managed to get you in on this squad. I like to think us two are a dynamic duo; capable of producing winning formulas in PU specifically and in this PUPL we didnt disappoint. Our SM was so on-point it was unbelievable, and between us we managed to support our team to several SM undefeated records. I'm sure that won't be repeated any time soon. I know your the type to refuse the applause and shift a lot of praise to others, I'd just like to highlight to everyone how your constant ideas, skeletons and feedback were so integral to the lineup; especially given others might snuff at it given your records.

Charmflash prince I for one hugely regret how I ended up capping your potential early in the season. When we were working out the kinks to our SM support structure you were the unfortunate bystander in a few calamitous builds which cost us a few games in the early season, and also being the unfortunate bystander in some QUESTIONABLE activity claims, which isn't entirely your fault. I hope you indeed enjoyed yourself and picked yourself up a few good teams, I'd love for you to remain a part of the PU community and you can certainly call myself if you have any questions wrt PU or PU teams. Your the man, and I always knew I could trust in you given one of our starters may have had an issue (which they never did thankfully) which is a great trait to have. Much love.

DurzaOffTopic addy brotha. I completely took a leap of faith when I ended up drafting you on Teds reccomendation, I didn't wanna invest entirely heavily in a DPP player like I had done in previous seasons with Heysup, so it was a natural step to put my confidence in someone who had really been yet to prove themselves in a truely big tournament. I knew how capable you were from NUPL, it was all about giving you the support structure to flourish and you definitely did so in the main season. Myself, Jarii and Poh really put our faith in you and you turned up in the early weeks generating loads of teams and exposing the meta the way you did was brilliant to watch. Bundles of confidence in yourself, which is something I still struggle with, but something I've never seen be an issue with you. I know you'll be disappointed with the finals performances, but the key thing for you is to taking it as a learning experience for your undoubtedly bright future. Keep on keeping on my brotha. #gauntletforeva

Finchinator Iceman: Infinity War. Part 1 of the Playoffs trouble RNGesus managed to stick us in and even though you were skeptical of diagnosis regarding FLCLs team, you had faith that I knew what I was talking about and appropriately prepped for that Stall MU that I was so insistent on being good vs. I knew I could trust you in that playoffs scenario given you had a long history of playing vs and playing with stall squads, so despite not being as invested in PU as the others on our team, you were certainly the one I wanted to carry the torch. Generally speaking, I had no real intentions of drafting you in the auction, it was unfathomable to me however how long people were taking to nominate you, and thats when I saw a huge opportunity to pounce to great effect. You played your games so efficiently and well throughout the tour, and I'm glad you ended up being 6-0 because its fully deserved. I'd also like to thank you for your continued support of PU and the PU community in an atmosphere where its often easy to bandwagon on a hate train. We all appreciate it and hope you maintain your interest in PU for the future!

Jarii av rampardos wielder. I love you brotha, its always a fun time whenever we team up for a team tour and its your hive of energy which I think really makes you stick out in my head as a key reason why won, unbeatable records aside. You constantly apologise for tagging me to build, but honest to god these bits of energy and motivation gets all of the support going and ready to help everyone out, keeping the team chat active. This was probably the most key aspect to our victory, and you deserve the full credit for helping us achieve this. Immediately from when you turned up in the team, you were willing to throw yourself in the hardest of pits by learning DPP for us given we didnt have a specified player for the slot, and even though we ended up using Durza, you still tested with him super often for no real reward other than fun, which is something a lot of people dont have. We'll have a great time when you come down to London soon, I now owe you 2 cakes too (or is it 3 I haven't been keeping count lol). Hopefully we get to do this again soon.

Osh winner winner. 3 lines, are you KIDDING ME? I knew as soon as I got a sellback for mael, we'd need you in your our pursuit in SM perfection, and despite the fact we never really got to play you as often as I would've liked, in the games you did end up playing, you played absolutely greatly. I'm really grateful we've managed to become best of friends since NUPL and the heartbreak that was, thankfully this tour didn't end up as tragically as that one, despite both times having the best teams undoubtedly. We'll play each other in more teamtours im certain, and if not we'll be playing each other on PS or shits and gigs, its been a blast my brotha.

poh pohggers. honest to God, you were the only one I knew I was gonna draft 100% no matter how the auction went (hence why i had to made mid auction adjustments to get a trade for you going). And despite the fact I know your unhappy with your record and indeed your performance in grand finals, I think people were shown not only how good you are as a player, but also your key asset which is support. You helped with everything from SM to ORAS to DPP, constantly giving me options and ways of utilising you in every scenario. I have massive amount of faith in you to achieve whatever you seek out in this game, because your infectious desire to win is something that cannot be ignored. You know me, I'll always be talking to you until the day you decide enough is enough and you hang up your keyboard, but until then I'll enjoy every moment of every second we talk together, one of my greatest friends and greatest laughs on this site.

Rexus Sexus. The other part of the italian dynamic duo, you really weren't joking about how you weren't gonna lose after your initial Week 1 loss. I could not believe how efficient, well managed and aggressive you managed to be in your games. Being so capable of pouncing on any minute misplay that the opponent made, and the only time you ever lost since was in BW (untier) with a team without normal resists vs a team designed to spam normals that we couldn't pressure with hazards lol. I'm really thankful for this tour because we managed to build a truely great friendship and hopefully for future PU events we can continue to that to both of our successes. Your undoubtedly hugely talent at this game but also as a friend that can really have fun with everyone on the team. I really appreciate you Sexus.

Teddeh puppet master. As usual, I told you the only person I had on my draft plan was you. This year I wasn't quite desperate enough for you to end up spending mid30s, but when I got you for 8 i was absolutely stunned. We were definitely onto a winner with that one, and throughout this season, you gave our players and our builders confidence with your no nonsense approach to building. Build the best teams and that they cant CT was your motto, and by using that as a base, we managed to achieve a literally unbeatable SM combination. I was very tempted at the beginning to stack you with our other SM talents and create the undoubted best SM 5 in the tour, yet you were selfless enough to offer yourself in an old meta which nobody really plays, and despite you promising to tryhard. After Weeks 1 and 2, it was clear that wasn't neccesary. Even with unwinnable matchups, you were still winning and you should have won us the whole thing. Alas we got cucked out of an unprecedented 4 unbeaten records by hax, f**k. I love u a bunch bby, lets win some more tours. Continue to be beastly.

Tricking Iceman: Endgame. FIDANZATO! I cannot begin to describe how much faith I have and still have in you. Your immense ability at this game is absolutely astonishing. Any meta, any time, anywhere, you are always amongst the best and winning playoffs to mirror finch required the iciest of ice, and we were given a show my goodness. I always tell people, the best players don't win easy matchups, they win the hard ones and you really put on show in that grind finals. The epitomy of playing your wincons and being as annoying as possible in the battlefield, this entire season we managed to win before your talents were ever neccesary, but I knew the meme training was for a bigger winning cause. All those weeks of using unmons like butterfree and winning had to lead to a great performance, and you did it in both finals and finals playoffs. Surreal. You helped us out in SM support, constantly testing my teams to tell me which ones work, which ones are ass and as a result you became one of the greatest qc'ers I've ever had with constant and concise feedback I can take into further builds. You deserve this win as much as anyone. Till next time.

Triangles LOL nice meeting u the other day my man, hopefully you never come back to this cursed game.
mael Thanks for your help

Endgame supporters: Taskr Pearl @Omfuga Anty Haund Love you lads a bunch, thanks for coming out and making the teamchat a blast for that end stretch, appreciate you all so much <3

And that concludes this PUPL season; shoutouts to all the other managers, you were all great to work with (for the most part hnggggg) and we'll see you all next season!
Free dubs, free cash, these nibbas are trash - poh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)