Resource PU Team Dump

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi, since tier shifts are happening in 2 days i thought i'd share some of my favourite teams. also i'm updating this after the tier shifts :toast:
just click on the sprites for the teams btw, and pls keep the nicks if u're going to use these!!

:raichu::unfezant::mareanie::sandslash::klinklang::morpeko:(balance)
i built this ~2 weeks ago around raichu, a mon i really enjoyed using pre-dlc and didn't really build with after the july tier shifts. i still think it can be very threatening once it gets a free setup opportunity, which isn't too hard considering you force out a lot between your speed + coverage. air balloon allows raichu to use fisk as setup fodder, as well as making it harder to revenge kill with stuff like alolan duggy. substitute kinda adds to that, as well as allowing it to avoid random toxics from fisk and null. surf probably works too, so u can still do stuff to slash and fisk once ur balloon got popped. next, tauntox unfez pressures fisk further while also being able to pressure apple and spdef mons like throh for raichu. mareanie was added because i really liked the idea of tspikes along with the core of subnp raichu + tauntox unfez, and most importantly it provided something for fighters and kl*nk. the rest of the team doesn't need much explaining; slash provides rocks + removal, as well as a check to threats like peko and lycanroc. klink really appreciates unfez + tspikes weakening down its answers, making it way easier for it to clean lategame and acts as a semi-decent spdef pivot for the team. lastly, scarf peko can revenge kill annoying mons like cm blimp, galardash, and even a weakened lilligant and provides support via parting shot, notably giving raichu more setup opportunities. the team struggles against a well played rime, but all teams do so it's kinda just w/e at this point lol. there's not much more to say about this team, so hf if u decide to try it out!! also, raichu > m*ne
'-'

:mr. rime::lilligant::drifblim::stunfisk::klinklang::morpeko:(offense)
this team has 3 broken mons so it must be good!! specs rime is a very epic set, especially when paired with one of the best setup sweeper in the tier, lilligant. this core doesn't need much explanation; rime breaks stuff early-game so lilli can come in mid- to late-game to click quiver dance and get lucky sleep rolls and win. the drifblim was originally an unfezant but after testing i realized i got 6-0ed by throh so i ended up going drifblim. acro is pretty good on it, as you usually end up getting knocked off by stuff like slash and throh. the set could be changed to this so u can actually do damage to stunfisk and not just 6%, but i haven't tried it on this team yet. the spread can be adjusted depending on what u want to outspeed, but on this team u don't need to outspeed much, really. stunfisk does stunfisk stuff; it acts as a reliable stop to threats like klinklang and unfezant, while klinklang can sometimes clean late-game and acts as the team's answer to ice-, psychic-, and grass-types like galarian mr. mime and appletun. scarf peko is a really epic set, i already explained what it does on the previous team and i don't feel like explaining again because im already repeating stuff lmao. on the unfez version, this was a scarf gourgeist. after noticing i lost to throh, i ended up going driblim over unfez and my good friend Musharnanigans (ty) recommended using scarf peko since i wanted something to bring in mons like tangela and slash for one of mr. rime or lilli to take advantage of them. silvally-rock kinda 6-0es this team once stunfisk and klink are weakened. opposing klinklangs are very annoying, but that's kinda what happens when u have to rely on restless fisk to deal with it lol.

ty for reading, and @ whoever's gonna use these, hf!!

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
:liepard: :mr. mime-galar: :mareanie: :stunfisk: :appletun: :klinklang:
with votes happening tomorrow, i wanted to share this team that ive been having a lot of fun with! i originally built it around banded lickilicky for bulbabrain's next best thing, but realized that liepard would also work in its spot. i chose mime-g to help licky handle gourg and fisk, but it functions similarly with liepard as a teammate, and also provides spin support. mareanie works as a fighting resist and sets up tspikes. fisk helps with omnipresent klinklang and is the team's rocker. i opted for yawn over toxic, foul play, or rest to force switches. apple gives the team a switch-in to ground types and moves and provides leech seed support. lastly is sub+tect klinklang, which works well in conjunction with tspike + shift gear. all in all, ive had a blast with this squad, and i hope you all do too if you use it!

edit: i think the klinklang ban was kinda of inevitable by the time i post this yesterday, so this team is unfortunately now outdated :/ im thinking about experimenting with sub+tect dual stab alolan duggy in its place, which will kinda-sorta fill the same (or at least a similar enough) role

Last edited:
I'm going to preface this post by saying I honestly never really played SS PU before joining open and up until semis I basically stole PUPL teams but I thought I'd share the teams I did build that I ended up using in finals and slam. Although PU seems to be thought of as the bastard child of Smogon these days I had a lot of fun feeling my way around the tier and one thing I really like is the creativity it has to offer as all the mons which don't fall into any of the higher tiers can probably find some niche here.

:appletun::dugtrio-alola::rapidash-galar::mawile::drifblim::lapras:
I built this for cbu in semis, the star of the show is subtoxic Dug which I'd been wanting to use ever since it owned me in NU open. Galardash is there to take advantage of Throh, basically the only mon that takes 0 from EQ and doesn't care about Toxic. Made Mawile physdef since physical attackers seemed like a bigger threat then and slapped on a Lapras to provide a special wall and switchin to things such as specs Golduck and the Rimes.

:gourgeist::mr-rime::unfezant::stunfisk::throh::pawniard:
This is the first team I made for finals, I noticed from watching replays that specs Rime tended to just nuke shit so I built around that. I added sub np Gourgeist since I noticed my opp's teams usually didn't have much in the way of speed control and it sets up on the 2 sr users that like 90% of teams seem to have. Throh's just an insanely slappable mon and doesn't ever die, while I added Pawniard for some serious role compression as a secondary ice resist/Appletun switchin/priority. With specs Rime I needed some form of hazard removal and although I think Drifblim far outclasses Unfezant in this regard I decided I wanted a little more speed control and being immune to ghost is always a boon.

:flareon::type-null::sandslash::rapidash-galar::drifblim::leafeon:
Team that won me the series, almost nothing can take 2 banded Flare Blitzes aside from dual resists like Drednaw or very bulky waters like baby pex. EV spread maximizes attack while retaining enough speed to outrun uninvested fisk when paralyzed. Guts is so if your opp is unfortunate enough to lay tspikes or toxic Flareon they're in for a world of hurt. Leafeon is the evolution of sub Gourgeist and with its 130 defense sets up on all the common rockers; the spdef investment ensures fisk is never breaking its sub. From there the team basically built itself, Galardash provides speed control and a better matchup against physically bulky teams while type-null is the blanket special wall.

:mareanie::lurantis::krokorok::rapidash-galar::throh::mr-rime:
Built this to use against impulse, figured with watervally oppressing the bulky grounds it'd be prime time for SD Galardash. Though it turns out I was so focused on abusing Galardash I also forgot to pack an answer, so scarf is probably better in hindsight. I also wanted to try out the new drop Lurantis as it can quickly mow through bulkier teams without much offensive presence. Krokorok was originally a Mawile before I realized the team got swept by CM Drifblim, and the team kinda just sacks a mon to specs Rime so I added spdef Rime as the last mon which also serves as the team's hazard removal.

:liepard::swoobat::throh::drifblim::appletun::mawile:
Made this for my game vs santu, Swoobat sits at an amazing speed tier and basically has a buy one get one free Nasty Plot deal. It usually doesn't get many setup opportunities but worst comes to worst can function as a revenge killer. However, teams without scarfers or that let it get up a sub find themselves in trouble real quick. The rest of the team is standard and features Drifblim and Throh, both very slappable mons, and Mawile counters the attract Liepards. Black Glasses Copycat > Band was a last minute change to slap scarfers and beat sub Drifblim.

The teams aren't perfect, but they worked for me and were definitely fun to use. I'm not sure how much PU I'll continue playing but the playerbase seems pretty solid and I'm looking forward to seeing how snake turns out :toast:

:Exeggutor: :Silvally-Poison: :Runerigus: :Type Null: :Liepard: :Mr. Mime Galar:

This team is simple, I started building around Specs Exeggutor + Silvally-Poison since it tends to lure in ground types and provides great support with Parting Shot, making it easier to get Exeggutor in the field to start its assault. Runerigus compress a lot of roles providing rocks, electric immunity, and checking stuff like Klinklang, Kangaskhan, and even Morpeko once thanks to Colbur. Type: Null is another great pivot, provides slow U-Turn for Exeggutor while checking many dangerous special attackers (could change Shadow Claw for Toxic, but that's up to anyone who decides using this team). Liepard is a secondary breaker and another great tool to support Exeggutor since it tends to lure slower pokemon like Throh and it provides a powerful Knock Off. To finish the team with a scarfer I choose Mr. Mime Galar mainly because it gets Trick and Healing Wish, and while I dislike this particular set a lot, the support options were useful. It was fun to test this team, I made an alt and went from 1100 to 1505 with 2 loses, and if anyone decides to use it I hope you enjoy it too!

1603634992075.png

Made this new team a week ago and started further exploring no-hazards balls-to-the-wall offense.
I decided to try Whiscash due to the plethora of Electric-types at the moment. The loss of Tangela really helps as well. Hitting 360 speed after a single DD is pretty ideal as the only Pokemon faster tend to be Electric-types or Scarf Pokemon (who have to lock themselves into a move meaning another set up sweeper can take advantage). Stone Edge is there due to the new water/flying bird type who is a pain. Have thought about using Bounce for Liligant but.....

Haven't managed to get many games but got to #16 for the time being.

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/5d5fd421fd3f696c

EVs are based on the old metagame before the DLC drop and new shifts, I kind of learnt a bit on the go while laddering but EVs could still be tailored better.​

Last edited:

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, even though everything gets outdated super fast, I'll drop three teams I truly loved and that were super consistent. Probably wont be of much use given what dropped but, I wanted to share something and that's everything I have.

1604272621176.png

https://pokepast.es/77a435cbd7bf36f3
https://pokepast.es/86f243f3587145a7
https://pokepast.es/2dd725477742dfb5

This is teams I made for snake and that I chose because they were super consistent in tests and covered all the meta. I wont write much, but here are some explanations:
-the corsola one is very straight forward and uses spikes to faciliate the sweep of the 4 offensive mons. AV chan to check stuff like jolteon, workup vally to break fat stuff like quagsire+defog etc;
-the avalugg one uses marowak, which is a nice jolteon check and is able to break runerigus corsola and others. AV perr is for me a classic and checks like everything special-oriented. Avalugg is a unique mon that not only spins, but also walls kangaskhan and cramorant thanks to own tempo for hurricane. Lurantis with contrary and spdef walls even specs jolteon and can sweep easily if there's no silvally poison. Qwilfish has a nice tech dbond+revenge for slower threats like lurantis;
-the lilligant one uses a glaceon+lilli core, glaceon+helmet fisk weaken perrserker easily, and lilligant uses dreameater for silvally poison. No pollen puff because pvally is the biggest issue for lilli. Unfezant has a set that I love, it just sets up on runerigus/corsola which are supposed to wall it.

Hope you liked the teams, I really wish the metagame settled for good already so that we could share teams that arent outdated but I guess we better get used to the DLC era.

PUPL and snake were awesome but exhausting too and i will be starting in SM in PUWC because I love the tier and I need a break from the crazy ever-changing meta(s) that SSPU is. See y'all in PUWC then, and gl everyone :)

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ktut beat me to it but I wanted to do the usual tag of the eliminated people who played or built in snake and see how willing you'd be to dump some stuff now that it doesn't even warrant saving for PUWC.
Hamhamhamhamham Skipkan zS eifo tlenit keppy HJAD z0mOG obii avarice soulgazer pokemonisfun

https://pokepast.es/3fa57501763f00d3 built this and it never got used except in official roomtours but it's sick
https://pokepast.es/fc76e1201b3d0bb7 had an unfortunate outing but I like it anyway
https://pokepast.es/219f14571055ede9 FlamingVictini made it around my Bouff set, good at wrecking certain balances

Last edited:

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Hello,

Before you even start. Extremely heavy post and I am already sorry about this - please forgive me.

I've been doing through the snake little recaps how I've been prepping/playing the games. Nothing magnificent on its own, but thought it would be fun little project of mine to do. Last two weeks (w8 & w9) wont be included as there wasnt really too much on the line unfortunately for Tiepans. Same time this post is to reveal all the stuff I used.

Before we get into this I had like to thank Jordy & Analytic having me in Tiepans/Tiepuns (preferably would have been Tenpans, but we couldnt deliver :<) and for entire team to be fun hang with. Most of you deserved more than you could get in this, but thats the game we play sometimes. I've had blast through this tournament and hope to see you guys in future tours as well.

Not to forget 2xTheTap being there to discuss about meta trends and bounce ideas back, you helped more than you actually think, thank you mate! Xiri is brrrrr, but yeeeeah thanks for not burning your nerves more than you did during stall week tests and thanks for everything else. We once again played a bit too much, but worked out so cant complain. Now go win the tournament back to back!

Sorry for bad grammar already, usually wrote these meanwhile building/right after game very fast soooo, yeah...

W1 Vs. Keppy L:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8pu-515597
https://pokepast.es/0a6a73c614fa461a

Cool to start the tour vs. Keppy who has been living his hype, but same time there was actually something to scout (eg. compared to other tour players). Turned out his main core is Steel (Klang) - Ground (Slash - Grass (tangela/lilligant). We had two ways to approach this with Tap and first one, the original was scarf heatmor. Keppys teams didnt have usually a single fire stab absorber (golduck doesnt count at all). The second idea, which I ended using was G-Mime with NP+3atk. Reasoning was clear, Keppy packed usually 4 mons with ice weakness and if freeze dry counts it can go all the way up to 5 mons. His ice resist was 100% Klang and focus blast alone should get rid off it. The team idea was simple; have double pivot inviting mons in for my own double breaker G-Mime + Duggy-A.

The team I faced was exactly what I expected. Keppys first game on big stage and no extra risks taken in building process - rolling with what proven good in PUPL. What comes to game, it started fairely well for me and found myself forcing Stunfisk out with G-Mime and found my way to boost to +2 on turn 7. Klang dodged on t8 and we had new game to play, otherwise the game was never favoring our opponent. Anyway bounced back very well and got Keppys Klang removed with Duggy-A meaning my own backbone null+tangela looked very unbreakable at that point. Second extremely unfort turn of events started on t21 after opponents Mr.Mime landed hypnosis and ended up being full 3 turns sleep while blocking Null to click rest. All alone this meant the game for me, my scarf morpeko was never breaking Leafeon and Golduck is picking w/e it decides to - sooo last thing I tried was to play for choke, but that never happened, good for keppy. Happy how the game was played on my part after all. Some people might argue the focus blast was greedy play, but im opposite to that for sure. If I have 70% chance to wrap the game and in case I miss, im still in, ill definitely go for it. Landing two focus blasts > landing one focus blast is just stupido anyways if theres way to get out of it with one. I believe I was most of the game on drivers seat and prep paid off. Excited to move w2 and what it has to bring with

W2 vs Roseybear W:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-516352
https://pokepast.es/38233e93fb19c1e9

To start off w2 what we know about our opponent is pretty much 6-7games + Gum being their building supporter. The way I approached this was to scout both Rosey+Gum and see if theres anything common between them. The main core pretty much was Ghost (Dusknoir) - Grass (Appletun) - Fighting (Throh). Ground types played role too, but those felt more of a fillers to absorb volts+being answer for common Klinklang. Anyway, the teams are suuuuuper slow. Barely no speed control and often relying on slow-ish scarfers like Unfezant. I blame half of my prep High Impulse who I have been prepping meanwhile for grandslams PU. I was sparring him for slam playoffs and we revived old team of mine which had thievul in it. After solid 30min brainstorming and struggling how to tackle Throh with Liepard High Impulse and I ended up coming with idea of Attract Liepard. What a nice little coincidence at the same time, bcs our opponent happened to like Throh. If you didnt know, Throh is 100% male. Setting Liepard to be Female lets attract do the work. After long testing period and finding out that it actually beats throh and abuses it as set up fodder my main mon was decided. Based on his very slow team structures I wanted to use something creative and re-introduce double buff bouffalant with rest+stab. While Im facing people who are new to the tier, I like to bring unorthodox stuff for a good reason. Buys some turns and usually wins already on preview. Fingers really are crossed for this to pay off. Rest of the team is pretty much to catch ghosts with toxic like Throh running it over knock off to support Bouffalant. A bit wonky team, ill give that, but never really failed me during tests. Same time something way different than usual as afaik Gum tends to try counter team sometimes, this should avoid that.

Welp the game happened. The team I faced didnt include the usual fight+ghost core and no ghost is already great news for mono-stab bouff. On other positive note Gum got Rosey to use Lilligant which meant veeeery happy days for bouff. First few turns went very neck on neck and my only consideration was if Gapidash is physical or Special. Preview makes perfect sense for special, bcs physical would make the team a bit topheavy on physical side. Im banking on special meaning my best play on t4 throh vs. gapidash is to prevent set up and scout its move as i know i live whatever hit he decides to go for. Aand also if its physical > bouffalant goes in and ends the game without being critted. Well, happy days, its physical and my only goal is to find a spot to bring bouff basically in. Not too much to say after t10 when bouff hits the field, its over and we move on. Was refreshing to see Rosey use faster team than we 've been used to

W3 vs Xiri L:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8pu-518003
https://pokepast.es/b5a086a3f9bc7381
The most waited week probably. Prep was quite a lot of fun and ended up building multiple teams to pick from. What most doesnt know, I did give their w1 salac sd dash set and basically gave a re-look to their team and the w2 was pretty much made by me. SO they are coming quite fresh to this week and my initial thought process was to figure out what im in general weak to and then abuse that information. Lot of cool stuff after all and while Xiri uses sandslashl/stunfisk often as a rocker, I ended up trying out klinklang w. electric terrain + steel beam for suicide trade. Gear grind into steel beam knocks sandslash while lives EQ in exchange. This frees scarf manectric with rising voltage which is nuts unless you face appletun. Did extremely well in tests vs. different team archetypes and the bulky sub-tect-toxic politoed was insane.

What comes to the game, the preview looks okay-ish and politoed is extremely threatning. Appletun alone shuts down my manectric which is not cool, but it should be alright to play around. Also my first thought of his team is to find the hidden tech. Its either rain dance golduck or some fatty set-up appletun/bouffalant to slap me back. Led with politeod and found myself facing intimidate luxray and scouted his move. This got me baited quite nicely ngl. Luxray used toxic and afaik these fat luxrays are slow as frick and i have nice creep already included in politoeds set. T2 I go comfortably with sub as im banking myself outspeeding the luxray, but that unfortunately is not the case and im already a LOT behind > politeod gets toxiced and is behind sub, oooooh boy. After a long discussion with Tap I wanted to use male liepard, bcs xiri was super mad at me for using female liepard to slap throhs. SO if he tries to snipe me setting every mon into female, i got that covered. Im not a believer of fighting type in this game in general, meaning if he doesnt do any changes, its a solid 50-50 gender. Ended up having 1female 5males so yeah, theres that too. The preview wasnt the easiest to play out, but gosh I hate that t2 toxic. Just with that I threw the game out of window. The set up appletun can be forced to sleep with steel beam from klang or w. toxic to get the set up done with liepard. Anyway, I did okay-ish recover from early mistakes, but couldnt find the turn 24 scald and the game was done. Well played by xiri. No regrets on prep, it was still on point rather bad MU which is cool in this "horrendous meta". Extremely disappointed how voting slate went and now we turned the best gen8pu meta into probs one of the worst ones. Hating already next week bottom of my heart.

W4 vs. Ktutverde L:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-519506
https://pokepast.es/2280b5c146617fb5
Another tough week ahead and latest bans are definitely stirring the pot. Ktut usually likes fat stuff paired with cleaners as the playstyle is very consistant. My idea with the team is to get Rime as many time in as possible as it should break balance cores on its own. We just lost two good glue mons, which makes ice types generally very, very good. Overheat+ejectpack into Rimes copycay Overheat usually drops ice resists and following with eject button mawile to regain momentum vs. plausable revengekillers liepard/unfezant sounded already like a great idea. The team itself plays out well together, but stunfisk is a bit of a problem if it gets the rocks up. 3x rock weak team kinda forced me to run double defog and still not a fan of rocks MU. The game started bit shaky for me. Pussied out the turn 1 overheat vs. throh and got parad w. drifblim on first discharge from stunfisk. Totally my own fault to let that happen, but Rime looked still good to break. Wont take too long with the game for this week. It went after all the sequences into situation where I needed to land two 56.3% rolls+superluck odds vs. Dugtrio+Gourgeists. Couldnt get even the first one and lost. The game itself imo was super fun and well played from both parties. Such a solid team from Ktuts part as well, excited to see more from him

W5 vs. Obii W:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-520719
https://pokepast.es/56803784ebae9756
The last undefeated opponent for w5 Obii. The prep was simple; Jordy passed scout > no tspikes absorber in literally any week and stall went ham pretty much vs. any team. Sooooo I recycled old team and updated it to reflect current meta - this was pretty much instant feeling what will work out and do well against Obii+Avarice usual cores. Simple as that and waited entire week to play the game. Game itself was pretty much what expected in terms of no tspikes absorber. Game started well and got tspikes up and had nothing to worry really. Turn 1 I found out banded dugtrio is faster than manectric and clicks buttons free whenever it gets in. The first very unfort part happened on turn20 when obii strengh sapped incoming dugtrio and I found the stone edge crit to drop drifblim on very next turn. Stone edge did enough to drop drifblim after stacked toxic dmg. In case Obii sapped, I got new shot to fish for the crit / forced drifblim out - anyway the crit was super dumb for the game and helped me to muscle through. Obii had his odds definitely to break the stall, but toxic spikes alone was a lot to deal with and the turn 20 crit sealed the game very early. Not lot to say about this week honestly as the prep was done before I even started it and the game played itself out very fast...

W6 vs. Pokemonisfun W:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8nu-521915
https://pokepast.es/01b0dba2496f8122
Uhmmmm, welp, the meta is mess. Big tier shift happened with few unbans. PIF hopped on last week over soulgazer (ngl i would prefer to play vs him instead of PIF). Basically my idea is to abuse the info of me counterteaming them. They most likely will think im bringing seven million different stall breakers as PIF is known for stalling. SO, who would ever think I would go back to back with super fat team. I did 3 different drafts for this week: terrain team which xiri uses this week, triplehazard control bcs fuck hazards and the super fat squad i end up using. I kinda loved the set I came up on runerigus and had to get it rolling, bcs it feels very broken. Only mon I've had problems was sub+eseed swoobat which I highly doubt facing this week. Otherwise team has been very consistant and does its job fairly well and the stealth rocks bluff on runerigus has been smashing. Personally im expecting some sort of bulky offense eg. kangaspikes to deal overall well with HO terrain teams with the hazard chip + kangas double prio.

Alright, the game happened and loved the preview. Didnt get the kangaspikes against my team, but instead of gorsola to 'wall' kangaskhan. Therefor very straight forward kanga lead to Pifs most likely Perrserker/Unfezant lead. Honestly, I think Pifs better lead was perrserker. Got the Unfe lead which is no brainer toxic w kanga on my part. Toxicing gorsola means Runerigus is freed to do his thing. Only thing offensively im worried basically is acid armor alcremie, its legit broken set. Otherwise I believed its sealed as long Rune comes safely in and no healbells on cremie/leafeon (afterwards actually turned out there was healbell user). Turn two safe midground to defog plausable rocks from gorsola, but instead of rocks Pif doubles to dugtrio. This allows Lurantis safely to superpower and got it off against incoming Unfezant. Lurantis lives bravebird from full and making the trade benefits Runerigus > cant crit fish vs it. On t5 unfezant comes again in after u-turning first out against Lurantis's leaf storm and ends with 25%. Lurantis lives 50% of time bravebird from 82% hp and in case unfe clicks the BB, it trades itself right there 100%. On my thought process unfezant is way too valuable for Pif and my most natural play is to switch out and preserve Lurantis. This would allow him to roost and get unfe back to alive. Basically this is the info I wanted to abuse and try to catch him offguard. The overprediction worked and got the roost play right which straight forward meant the game. Without Unfezant pif would have lost to hazards+Flareon most likely. Anyways, very short 9 turns game and get to keep Rune set hidden, happy days

W7 vs. TJ W:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-523168
https://pokepast.es/3490aad41b12f8fd

Pretty much nothing got revealed last week and I heard earlier: "stalling tj isnt good idea" -phrase, sooooo I thought challenge accepted and wanted to see how I can play it around. Only changes I did to last weeks team was mirror coat > eq on avalugg and SD > toxic on qwilfish to help certain MUs. Prep therefor was non-existing.

I honestly wasnt expecting any specific MU, only thing I excepted TJ to bring was something similar compared to his last weeks team. TJ have had some sort of pattern to bring very look-a-like teams from earlier weeks. Aaaand I actually crashed against very dangerous Exeggutor. Thanks to Runerigus being SpDef, it can abuse switching Exeggutor after getting +2 SpDef. Game started well and Kanga did broken Kanga things in the beginning. Afterwards got rune safely to set up and everything looked clear for me. On turn 18 TJ reveals heal bell on jolteon which is fun tech and saves his own runerigus from dying to toxic. Bodypress unfort is not in range of KO and only crit gets it. Positive note; our rune took already 2 lives and is still going to be very dangerous. Turn 29 I get the double right to have kanga front of Exeggutor and finally got it toxiced. This timer is huge for me to limit its turns. Last interesting turn that happened was turn 37 when tj had silvally poison set to +1atk & +1spatk. Was forced to bring Avalugg and caught the flamethrower with Avaluggs mirror coat which lead to trade mons. Fun and cool game on my perspective and glad mirror coat put itself into work, was a bit worried about it beforehand

Because every good reveal needs something little extra (and this post is ridic long already):
1604283890041.png
1604283910249.png

Politoed @ Salac Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Liquidation
- Ice Punch

Very Self explanated set overall

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Amnesia
- Cotton Guard

- Body Slam

Double Buff Gigi Buffon

Lurantis @ Leftovers / Bright Powder
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Grassy Glide
- Substitute
- Grassy Terrain

We hella gliding Lurantis. With stacks heavy team I usually loved to use bright powder to catch opponent defogging against incoming Lurantis

Silvally-Rock @ Rock Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Parting Shot

Coverage Vally for fisk/slash+Klang w. runaway car pshot

Dugtrio-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

CB/CS both works well and keeps pressuring. Rocks are super nice and easy to get on

Luxray @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Klang+Unfe hater LXray and defensive answer for steels+flyings

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Block
- Rest
- Fire Punch

untouchable trapper for the game

Liepard (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Attract
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Attract for throh set up - stupid good (late edit, yes ik, theres post about this already)

Drifblim
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 176 HP / 80 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Strength Sap
- Defog
- Destiny Bond
- Acrobatics

Itemless for PGeist answer+Acro active - surprisingly good

Politoed
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thief
- Toxic

Itemless thief Toed to remove Throh+Null+Rose

1604277631514.png
1604277645640.png

Klinklang @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Electric Terrain
- Toxic
- Steel Beam
- Gear Grind

Suicide terrain setter klanger. Drops defensive sandslashes after setting terrain and allows electric types spam freely its boosted stab

View attachment 287075

Rapidash-Galar @ Salac Berry
Ability: Pastel Veil
Jolly Nature
- High Horsepower
- Megahorn
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Self explanated late game sweeper to break tangela+fat psychics

Appletun @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SpA / 36 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Recover
- Apple Acid
- Earthquake

Mixed Offense Spread. EQ quite op move and eq into sucker drops galarian mime/rimes

Appletun @ Expert Belt
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpA / 36 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Apple Acid
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

- Recover

/ Heavy Duty Boots - Mixed offense+Defensive spread

Morpeko @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Hunger Switch
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Trip
- Agility
- Aura Wheel
- Endure

Tripping Morpeko - this is actually pretty good

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Magic Room
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

M-Room for Reversed lategame winner - outspeeds opponents late game scarf wincons

Trevenant (M) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Natural Cure
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

HO Treve for momentum, fun fun

Gourgeist @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 144 SpA / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast

Abuses throh, cant break sub after WP activated, faster than bouffalant and eats hit from g-mime + after rocks KOes back Liepard. Can be focusblast over fire blast if u want to hit bouffalant harder. depends on bouff set, but it takes a lot from f-blast. Before anyone even says, yessss there was earlier physical WP gourg too.

Musharna @ Eject Button
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

to regain momentum risk free + activate poltergeist counter, amazing set and was used by PTD in slam semis

Cursola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Endure
- Destiny Bond

- Stealth Rock

Imo standard-ish set but havent seen so far too much as i write this, soooo here it is. nature can easily be timid to outspeed gapidash and so after +2. Otherwise very self explanated suicide lead*

Cramorant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gulp Missile
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Belch

Ayeee this surely is fun one to snipe Alcremies not gonna lie :>

Leafeon @ Power Herb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off / Synthesis
- Dig

Perrserker+silvallypoison destroyes as these things are in this current meta while im writing this a massive threats and in every team. +2 dig knocks offensive perrserker and does to AV 90%

Runerigus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia
- Body Press
- Rest

Welp, unkillalbe runerigus that wins matches on preview by default. Kanga gives scrappy and its GG. Ghosts cant then cockblock it :>

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Grassy Terrain

- Substitute

I seriously gave this thing a shot and GOSH i love it. Not that effective, but suuuuuper fun! Cant remember anymore what hit substitute is post to absrob lol

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Impish Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Mirror Coat

Probably the best spread I calced (still never used it lol) after october shifts. Its to avoid lot of 2hkoes from special mons yet to absorb super effective hits and avoid them to 2hko u. Mirror coat trashes special attackers in exchange and will open up the game often for your team

Alcremie (F) @ Electric Seed
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam
- Aromatherapy

Terrain Creamie which allows to run aromatherapy over acid armor. Natural bulk is amazing and takes care of physical mons well enough

Silvally-Poison @ Poison Memory
EVs: 240 HP / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Surf
- Flamethrower

YES! Non stab defensive silvally is nutty good. Coverage wisely it does everything it needs to and absorbs tspikes for the team. Ngl, cant remember what that 16atk is post to do anymore, but it had purpose!

Cramorant @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Agility
- Endure
- Reversal

- Surf

HE-HE this was super fun to use at least. Very esay to figure what its post to do and quite effective late game sweeper with its agility. Reversal gives nice mixed attack coverage wisely.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Poison Jab
- Liquidation

Honestly, i think this should be standard set for qwil, havent seen too much it, so here it is.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Substitute

Wincon Quagsire that sets up on ferro, fun one. SpDef lets u take shadowball from jolteon and avoids 2hkos from cramorant

1604280561702.png
1604280573832.png

Golduck @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Clear Smog
- Scald

Want to avoid getting counter setupped? Well, heres your answer! Clear smog Golduck to get urself out of CM wars against alcremie for example

1604280728090.png
1604280742073.png

Kangaskhan (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 164 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Body Slam

Defensive broken kanga. This set is definition of nuisance. Feels impossible to break and forces opponent into very awkward positions

I guess this is enough for now. Theres lot more to go through, but honestly, Im getting tired lol.

&

Weeeeell, I might or might have not helped Xiri in this tour to build so here are the ones I have been heavily part of.
Before people thinks Im revealing stuff Im not allowed, I have every right to do it.

W1: https://pokepast.es/1b743aa094036135 Salac Gapidash offense w. sitrus appletun to answer poltergeist mons. Pretty basic overall to get threats working to be fair. I like this squad tho a lot
W2: https://pokepast.es/a7869411c8828e69 Original skeleton for my w2 vs. Roseybear. We "fixed" the sets to fit better Xiris playstyle (no belly drum politoed unfort) and to be "more normal"
W4: https://pokepast.es/4162a7bb005eec50 The Grassy Glide + bright powder Lurantis. Again a set I reaaally would have loved to use, but never found right spot to do so
W5: https://pokepast.es/826c5a0f5b355b34 Attract Liepard offense, pretttttty fun w. the Liepard set ngl
W6: https://pokepast.es/a2a316f991913814 The terrain team I wanted to use in the first place, but Xiri liked this a lot while we tested and decided to give it to him. Meanwhile I figured double dancing Rune could be a thing and wanted to get that thing rolling
W8: https://pokepast.es/83d1a054b0369bc4 2xTheTap 's Skeleton that we changed a bit to have setup golduck. Super slick team and own a huge thanks for having it in the first place.
W9: https://pokepast.es/0c72012c3f31921b well, this is explanated on my weeks :>

Yes, it is quite a bunch of stuff and before anyone again takes a piss or starts malding. Specs has been very helpful for Xiri, I am not taking anything away from him by revealing the teams I've done/been part of. I am happy they have got along very well this tournament and their interaction has been smooth through the tournament.

Kinda sucks that meta changed entirely and all these teams are somewhat useless. Liked most of them a lot and put quite a lot effort into them. "Enjoy the read" i guess.

Long, exhausting and very fun tournament has become into end for me and generally I believe I did well. Was interesting to read predictions and see people looking forward to see my games and what Im bringing on table. Never thought it would escalate into that type of situation and hopefully I can keep it that way in future tournaments too.

If any of hosts ever happens to find their way down here. Or people who were part of running Snake, thanks for your input to get things running smoothly! Good luck to all players to playoffs and hopefully we will see good amount of clean games.

1604283699164.png

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
There was a lot of building that went into this over a ~2 month period with Snake starting in early September; not all of my stuff was used, but s/o to tlenit, Xiri, and TJ for winning with all of the teams/sets I provided them with. Also, thanks to the Taipans captains (Jordy and Analytic) for letting me sit in their disc as a builder/helper. I'm not gonna post full descriptions or even all of the teams I made because I'm tired and old. But, here are some of the teams I built, as well as some new sets that we might be able to carry over into this new meta that just started today.

These teams look pretty different, due to a giant tier shift happening in the middle of the tournament. So, I'll divide these teams up by when I built them. Here's a quick recap of meta changes during Snake (it's possible I missed something, but w/e):

20200901 - +*Silvally-Water, Politoed, Luxray, Bouffalant, Lurantis, Gourgeist-Small, Liepard
20200906 - Silvally-Water banned
20200919 - Klinklang and Bouffalant banned
20201001 - Tier shift + Unbans - Tangela rose, +Pincurchin, Quagsire, Qwilfish, Runerigus, *Sawk, *Silvally-Dark, Bouffalant, Exeggutor, Kangaskhan, Klinklang, Silvally-Poison, Silvally-Bug, Jolteon, *Galvantula, Alcremie, Avalugg, Corsola-Galar, Cursola, Cramorant, Ferroseed
(unbans: Bouffalant, Exeggutor, Klinklang, Kangaskhan, Silvally-Poison, and Silvally-Bug)
20201004 - Silvally-Dark, Galvantula, Sawk banned, Perrserker unbanned
20201017 - Exeggutor banned
Tier locked for Snake - no DLC

Pre-October tier shift teams (no replays, it'd take too long to find them all...):

https://pokepast.es/c3a01a1a2365c844

https://pokepast.es/5d01fdeaa5b1553b

https://pokepast.es/7ceeddb865e89c50

https://pokepast.es/d3ea28608f35d996

(my favorite of the pre-October shift teams that was built together with tlenit - not sure why we didn't use):

https://pokepast.es/065b8f38790a117e v1
https://pokepast.es/3e0bad3f4abb5337 v2

(Bouff meta version: https://pokepast.es/a20d7c0a4e85a787 vs HJAD - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1184329235-49qhqs9kwxbg52zk3pqv8v2uqv5cg29pw)
20200926 version that I gave to TJ and he edited (CS to Unfezant, boots to Heatmor, Maractus set edits)
https://pokepast.es/bcad337921c02371
TJ vs false (W) - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8pu-519318

https://pokepast.es/22b099ebf3e2af42

Post-October tier shift teams:

(My original)
https://pokepast.es/71924dfdef638610

(Xiri's and tlenit's edited version)
https://pokepast.es/83d1a054b0369bc4
Xiri vs TJ (W) - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-524183

https://pokepast.es/079b46f676b91d3d

https://pokepast.es/dadbac894d1d4827 - (My original)
(TJ used Alolan Dugtrio over Klinklang)
Week 9 TJ vs Ktut (W) - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8pu-525502

New-ish Movesets:

:Runerigus:
Runerigus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Defense
- Rest
- Body Press

adapted from tlenit's Amnesia + Iron Defense Runerigus

:Cramorant:
Cramorant @ Rocky Helmet
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Endure
- Surf
- Hurricane

:Silvally-Poison:
Silvally-Poison @ Poison Memory
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Work Up
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge / Flamethrower
- Grass Pledge

if Flamethrower over Flame Charge, use max SpA and 4 atk. Grass Pledge hits all of Stunfisk, Quagsire, and Runerigus with good neutral damage on Qwilfish in one slot

"DracoJolt" (Week 9, TJ vs Ktut - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8pu-525502)
:Appletun:
Appletun @ Eject Pack
EVs: 80 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Apple Acid
- Recycle / Body Press
+
:Jolteon:
Jolteon @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Fire off Specs-boosted Draco Meteors with Jolteon to KO other Jolteon and chip other volt stops and Electric resists other than Ferroseed

"Manectrime" (Week 4, tlenit vs Ktut- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ou-519506)
:Manectric:
Manectric @ Eject Pack
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
+
:Mr. Rime:
Mr. Rime @ Choice Specs
Ability: Screen Cleaner
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Copycat

Same as Heatmor+Glaceon, fire off Overheat with Mr. Rime. Very potent in that short meta where Klinklang was banned and people were using SpDef Mawile often.

:Alcremie:
Alcremie (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 244 HP / 56 Def / 64 SpA / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Imprison
- Recover
- Dazzling Gleam

:Luxray:
Luxray @ Eject Pack
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wild Charge
- Toxic
- Thief
- Superpower

Once Eject Pack is used up via Superpower, Thief can be used to steal items. Toxic into Superpower on Stunfisk switches and volt stops in general, Thief when they come in again

:Lurantis:
Lurantis @ Bright Powder
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Brave Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Bright Powder is from me... that ingenious Grassy Terrain tech is from tlenit. +evasion boost from Defog (due to Contrary) + Bright Powder stack, giving you a strong chance to steal momentum and out-RNG Defoggers. Near-max SpDef to live Hurricanes from Cramo

252 SpA Cramorant Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Lurantis: 230-272 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:Drifblim:
Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stockpile
- Strength Sap
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball

:Crustle:
Crustle @ Red Card
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

:Maractus:
Maractus @ Eject Pack
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch

:Bouffalant:
240+ Atk Maractus Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bouffalant: 140-166 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:Gourgeist:
Gourgeist-Small @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

:Bouffalant:
+2 252 SpA Gourgeist-Small Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 172-204 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth
:Klinklang:
+2 252 SpA Gourgeist-Small Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Klinklang: 302-356 (93.2 - 109.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

:Cursola:
Cursola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

522 Speed if WA active, 261 before.

Cramorant @ Weakness Policy
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Roost
- Surf
- Agility

See tlenit's set above. I made this one first, then he added Reversal to his version independently, which is much better in a meta with Ferroseed.

:Shedinja:
Shedinja @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Wonder Guard
Jolly Nature
- Sandstorm
- Poltergeist
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
into...
:Stoutland:
Stoutland @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Giga Impact
- Crunch
- Retaliate
- Superpower

1 turn of setup:
+ Reliate damage buff is active after Shedinja is KOed by Sandstorm
+ max turns of sandstorm chip
+ limited recovery with synth/morning sun/moonlight against stout
+ double speed stout

For fun Sand squad: https://pokepast.es/05a69c89f1ffc52f

Last edited:

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
just going to dump a few teams i've been using around 1500 - 1640 on ladder. not going to speak too too much for the quality of the teams, i just started playing ss pu two days ago, but they've been really solid in my usage so far. click on sprites for each importable.

air balloon sub carracosta

this was built around a specific carracosta set, that aims at capitalising off the huge glare sandaconda usage on ladder. combusken is very good against most ladder teams and generally breaks a lot of them with ease. the remainder of the team is just a generic defensive backbone, somewhat struggles with bulk up throh but it can be played around.
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1218357064
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1217607393
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1217445614-tbs1vo6z143lsj25mlat9xo4uhwv8a2pw
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1217782543

scarf jynx spikes

generic spike stack with rune to spinblock & be annoying. scarf jynx is really nice and i prefer the power buff than the utility mime galar provides, generally a super effective mon on ladder. kanga and perr break through what they need to break through as well. tect on rune is for peko.
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1217807245-cbzftv4u1oy6lpvtj7nxdnm7o035r60pw
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1217811366-7z2fk1b4pq2xbhkgplhq8h5txu1ss07pw

cursola + bouff

i asked someone in chat what cursola ran, they gave me this set and i decided to build around it. it's plenty effective, but idk what to think of it in terms of special breakers. ladder is pretty bad in general. if you choose to use this fsr, use cursola + bouff to break and throh to disrupt crap. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ra(in)boot(s)

i built a rain team fairly quickly but threw an umbrella raboot on to deal with ferro. umbrella for those of you who don't know, cancels the rain based effect when taking or doing damage, so in this case, that means its full power flare blitz through rain. i wouldn't consider this item very useful down in pu from what i've seen but it's cool, and isn't that what really matters :(
> https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1218215754

Last edited:

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Hi, I'm here today to do a small team dump post for the teams I built in snek and that got used by Ham mainly, s/o the Levi's for letting me in the discord and especially Mysterious M and Tricking (even tho you should l2p Tricking.) for being rly cool to a new comer like me '-'. I'm not going to write descriptions for this team dump cuz I kinda lack time but if you need any information feel free to contact me on p.s or discord although I Don't think i'll receive any since we're in a brand new meta ^^'. That being said, I'll let you with the teams, hf!
Week 1 vs Xiri:
:tangela::stunfisk::unfezant::mr-mime-galar::klinklang::morpeko:
(click on sprites for importable)
Week 2 vs eifo:
:unfezant::tangela::stonjourner::mareanie::klinklang::hitmonchan:
Week 3 vs obii
:hattrem::silvally-ice::throh::leafeon::drifblim::mawile:
Week 5 vs TJ:
:hitmonchan::hakamo-o::stunfisk::mr-rime::gourgeist::unfezant:
Week 6 vs Kink:
:cramorant::dugtrio-alola::avalugg::jolteon::ferroseed::alcremie:
Week 8 vs z0mOG:
:hattrem::cramorant::type-null::lurantis::unfezant::jolteon:
Week 9 vs tlenit1:
:hitmonchan::kangaskhan::jolteon::runerigus::avalugg::appletun:

This is the end of this post and I wanted to point out how this tournament was a big step forward for me imo, since I got the chance to build and get involved in an official tournament although I wasn't part of the team. I know for a fact that many people Don't like the stuff I make and I definitely get why but (I think at least I hope so) I pleased the managers that believed in me enough to leave their PU slot to me and even tho it didn't go too well I'm happy with how my teams were showcased during the tour. See you in PUWC for more funky stuff '-'.

Last edited:

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader

The first set I thought to try when Jynx dropped was one using Heavy-Duty Boots + Nasty Plot, but I never ended up doing it. Instead, I opted to use Blunder Policy to take advantage of Lovely Kiss' somewhat low accuracy and possibly double Jynx's Speed. Ironically, I very rarely miss Lovely Kiss whenever I use this team, but Blunder Policy lets Jynx get away with running a Modest nature to boost its natural power. Qwilfish and Runerigus form a good hazard-stacking core, with the latter also serving as a spinblocker, and they both serve as soft checks to Fire- and Fighting-types. Itemless Runerigus lets it absorb Poltergeist, which makes playing around something like Gourgeist easier in tandem with Rotom-S. Putting a Defog user on a team like this might seem weird, but I figured it best given that neither Jynx or Accelgor are running Heavy-Duty Boots and that the team is prone to residual damage given the general lack of recovery. Rotom-S also provides nice utility other than removing hazards, generating momentum, spreading status, and switching into Ground- and Fighting-type moves. Assault Vest Perrserker gives the team an out against threatening attackers like Frosmoth, Lilligant, and Alcremie while also completing a VoltTurn core alongside Rotom-S. Fake Out instead of something like Play Rough or Seed Bomb might seem random, but it's seriously nice versus offense and good for chipping at teams (especially combined with Spikes). Lastly, Choice Specs Accelgor provides good speed control while hitting decently hard and potentially crippling checks to Jynx, such as Togedemaru and Type: Null, with Knock Off.

Overall, a very dishonest team starring cheap Jynx. Just wanted to dump it before Jynx probably gets banned.

:rotom-fan: :avalugg: :sandaconda: :wishiwashi: :audino: :ditto:

Ditto can be pretty much replaced with any scarfer of your choice.

Rotom can run Tbolt or Willow Wisp instead of Pain Split. Or Defog if you do not feel comfortable enough with Rapid Spin + spam of heavy Duty Boots. In which case Rapid Spin can be replaced by Toxic or EQ or simply dual hazard control.

Sanda Conda does also make a good Body Press attacker.

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Not the most experienced or best player on here, but I've built a few teams that have seen success in past metas and thought I would dump theme here.

Guh Huckle (Shuckle) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Infestation
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Discipline (Pawniard) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Scary Ghost (Dusknoir)
EVs: 214 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poltergeist
- Brick Break
- Memento
- Protect

The Lads (Dugtrio-Alola) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Lillie (Lilligant) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Petal Dance
- Nature Power
- Pollen Puff
- Giga Drain

Pretty Simple (Swoobat) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Stored Power
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave

First team I ever built for PU and it did pretty well on ladder, for a Webs team that is. Shuckle is generic Webs lead, Pawniard and Dusknoir deter Defog and Rapid Spin, respectively, while providing team support in hitting hard. Itemless won against Band Dusk and made Sandslash setup fodder for Swoobat. Duggy-A with Liechi was able to sweep, or at least seriously weaken, teams without Unfezant or any other Flying scarf, Swoobat was able to punish the opponennt trying to set up Rocks by switching in and demolishing them with a +4 Stored Power, and Lilligant was the breaker. This is where I first discovered Modest Specs Lilligant (fond memories of 2HKOing a Klingklang) and I ended up using it on a few more teams up until the Klingklang ban.

On The Contrary (Lurantis) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Lillie (Lilligant) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Own Tempo
Modest Nature
- Petal Dance
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Pollen Puff

Slashy-Slash (Sandslash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Guh Huckle (Shuckle) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Infestation
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Kling (Klang) @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Nya~ (Liepard) @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Play Rough

I've built a few Lurantis teams in the past but this is my favorite. Despite the defensive spread, Lurantis tended to be the general win-con of the team, getting rid of items while chipping its own checks and ultimately blowing past them. Specs Lilligant returns and does the exact same thing, blow holes through the opposing team. HDB Shuckle is something I wanted to experiment with because it could act as an emergency check to out-of-control sweepers while spreading Toxic and laying Webs, and with Sandslash occupying the Rocks slot, it ended up being much freer to pick its moveset options. Klang was also an experiment, since this team was made after the Klingklang ban and needed a defensive Steel. Being able to bait a bunch of its checks, cripple them with Toxic, and pivot out via Volt Switch is what really stuck with me. RestTalk just gave it some reliable recovery. Another version of this team has Throh as the last mon (and a replay where it 6-0ed another team), but I kinda just slapped Liepard on as a secondary Knock Off user and general offensive breaker. Real fun team.

Bel Biv DeVoe (Silvally-Poison) @ Poison Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Flamethrower
- Grass Pledge

Elsa (Glaceon) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Shadow Ball
- Water Pulse

Slashy-Slash (Sandslash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 128 SpD / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Jolting (Jolteon) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Thunderbolt

Rubber Ducky (Golduck) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cloud Nine
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flip Turn
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Genghis Khan (Kangaskhan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 12 HP / 20 Atk / 172 Def / 160 SpD / 144 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Protect

Love this team. I built off of the Eggy + Silvally-Poison core one of the teams above did, except I ended up replacing the Egg with Glaceon, as it was able to force damage on more stuff and it had a better Speed tier (now you beat Boff instead of tying with it), and it ended up doing really well, constantly chipping checks such as AV Perr and cleanly OHKOing the many Grounds SP baited. Sandslash does Sandslash things, but I EVed it to tank 3 Jolteon Shadow Balls from full and to outspeed the univested base 70s, since they ended up being annoying. Jolteon the "win condition" of this team, and by that I mean it kinda just spreads Toxic and chips things so it can clean up later. Golduck was an unreliable, but useful, Scarf because it was able to nullify Rain and revenge kill its abusers. Also very good at pivoting. Finally, the Kanga was built to take advantage of standard Kanga checks like Stunfisk and Ferroseed by using Toxic or chipping them with Earthquake. Spread is so Gyro Balls and Earth Power from the two mons I mentioned don't break Subs.

Bel Biv DeVoe (Silvally-Poison) @ Poison Memory
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Parting Shot
- Flamethrower
- Grass Pledge

Madonna (Jynx) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Dry Skin
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Trick

Snowflake (Cryogonal) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Ghostly (Corsola-Galar) @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Stealth Rock

Werewolf (Lycanroc-Midnight) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Play Rough

Sandy (Sandaconda) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Coil
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rest

Finally, one of the more recent teams I built for November 1st drops. Builds off the same idea as above, except replacing Glaceon with Jynx to actually do stuff against Togedemaru. Cry + Corsola-G I found was a very potent defensive core, being able to patch up each other's weaknesses and generally provide for the team while having consistent and reliable recovery, although being statused kinda sucks. Lycanroc-Midnight was another experiment, and I think it's a really good Scarf, as being able to revenge kill Jolton, Accelgor, Cinccino, and others in one slot made for a great win-con and Scarf. Sandaconda does Defensive Coil things and laughs at teams without a strong Ice-type. EVs survive 3 Jolteon Shadow Balls like with Sandslash.

BLUNDER POLICY REGICE:
<- Click me!

This team is pretty simple and makes it easy to climb to roughly 1300 on the ladder. I built it with the basic idea of utilizing the new drop, Regice. I think Regice is a pretty sucky pokemon overall (Sorry Regi fans) since it lacks power and speed to net kills. In addition, Regice has no boosting moves and a poor defensive typing. The only move Regice has to make up for its objectively bad speed is rock polish, a move which sacrifices a move slot and requires a costly turn of use. Despite these drawbacks, Regice has decent special attack and a godly special movepool, making it somewhat useable at the very least. So you're wondering: how do I make use of this thing?

So blunder policy is actually a pretty cool item. Whenever you miss a move you gain a plus +2 in speed. This boost is essential in allowing Regice to boost it's speed and overcome counters. Keep in mind that blunder policy is, in my opinion, a very bad item for sweeping. Think of Blunder policy as rather a get out of jail free card when you miss a powerful move. For example, imagine using focus blast expecting a togedemaru to switch in. If you miss your focus blast (a common occurrence in Pokemon) you now have a second chance to muscle past your aforementioned check. This makes regice a fun pokemon to use to check important pokemon. Keep in mind that Blunder policy is consumed after one miss and can't be used again after you switch out.

P.S. feel free to expirement with this set. I've run Zap cannon for fun 50/50s as well as ancient power to deal with frosmoth. This team is kinda silly, so it's alright to prefer your own flavor.

The rest of the team is self explanatory and common meta at the moment.

Sandaconda is a good defensive wall for pesky fighting types that give Regice trouble. I have struggled slightly with banded Hitmonchan and Lycanroc, so you may want to scout before making a hard switch.

Unfezant is a defogger and fighting type/Appletun check. It's a great pivot and can usually outlast many opposing pokemon

Drampa is a great pokemon in this metagame. He walls grass/ghosts and can take a lot of hits from special attackers. Eject pack is an underrated item that allows him to gain momentum after dropping a powerful draco meteor. Glare is a broken move and should be used liberally.

Dugrtio-alola is a fast cleaner that effectively deals with metagame threats. The scarf set is usually unexpected and deals with jolteon, opposing dugtrio, and notably +2 Frostmoths. It can create tricky situations with fairies and flying types, but nothing too serious.

Throh is a blanket special check that has been doing the same thing since the start of PU.

Enjoy!

First time posting here, so please forgive me if I’ve made a mistake somewhere.

:frosmoth: :runerigus: :clefairy: :poliwrath: :jolteon: :skuntank:

team

Pretty straightforward, if you ask me. Frosmoth is your average setup special attacker and wincon. Clef + runerigus make a pretty good defensive core imo, with both of them covering each other’s weaknesses and clef being able to pass wishes with teleport. Those spdef EVs are to make sure rune can wall special attacks more easily. Poli and jolteon are your physical and special attackers respectively, while skunk is your defog support, not much to say about these three.

:appletun::carbink::poliwrath::persian-alola::froslass::togedemaru:
(click sprites for importable)

built this yday after getting burned out from uni work and i'll prolly never use it again so i figured i'd share it kek, also barely got to test it so use it at your own risk/feel free to optimize it further but i won a roomtour with it so it should make it at least semi-usable. it's a pretty weird hazard stacking balance which is apparently the only thing i can build these days. appletun is a funky pick in drampa meta but a pretty cool one nonetheless; it's great at wearing down common special walls like audino with apple acid and blasting other things with draco meteor while still providing the team with a switch-in to so many stuff, that thing's decently bulky and has reliable recovery. kebia berry is there for no reason other than that haunter is fucking busted. carbink is the mandatory drampa switch-in that also happens to set rocks, scarf poliwrath is not super strong but it's a set that a lot of ppl don't expect to face so it usually manages to get at least one or two kills in a game. alolan persian helps with ghosts not named cofagrigus and really just does an awesome job at knocking off boots and making it much easier to rack damage with froslass's spikes. speaking of lass, it's the best spikes setter, period. togedemaru is mostly there bc nothing else really deals with frosmoth, but it's also nice for passing wishes and generating momentum. haunter and cofagrigus (otr cofa specifically) might be very annoying for this team to face. also this team has no removal but ya know u have lass, just click taunt and u should be fine.

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Here's some teams I built Day 1 of the new drops with their in-teambuilder names have fun.

Coil Centiskorch:
:centiskorch: :duraludon: :uxie: :machamp: :exploud: :whimsicott:
https://pokepast.es/e6e82083135e27df

Fighting Spam:
:machamp: :sirfetchd: :sigilyph: :exeggutor: :sandslash-alola: :persian-alola:
https://pokepast.es/6b3182723b9ba8fc

STAB Life Orb Sheer Force Liquidation:
:kingler: :talonflame: :golurk: :virizion: :heliolisk: :silvally:
https://pokepast.es/49286e69fd4528cf

Xatu+Hail Core
:xatu: :aurorus: :arctovish: :charizard: :scrafty: :piloswine:
https://pokepast.es/cc0dd5dcb6ea62df

Banded Sirfetch'd+Calm Mind Sigilyph
:sirfetchd: :sigilyph: :druddigon: :shiftry: :magmortar: :togedemaru:
https://pokepast.es/277f5933fefdfbf0

Tauros+Defensive Mesprit
:tauros: :mesprit: :coalossal: :rotom: :scrafty: :abomasnow:
https://pokepast.es/2581b94e5e912251

Specs Clawitzer+Archeops
:clawitzer: :archeops: :palossand: :passimian: :silvally: :absol:
https://pokepast.es/59bf03a687c8d7f1

Rain Dance+Electric Terrain
:pincurchin: :raichu-alola: :kingdra: :sandslash-alola: :liepard: :braviary:
https://pokepast.es/0c33861cdf8a334e

NEW DROPS BITCH
:exploud: :sceptile: :gigalith: :silvally: :machamp: :lanturn:
https://pokepast.es/6c18f442c08f7084

Ok that's all you can keep the nicknames but also don't blame me if the teams suck. Bye.

Edit: every time I correct one Sirfetch'd command the other one stops working :l

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not quite a day 1 dump but we got so many Pokemon this is effectively just a day 1 dump of teams for people to get into the meta. There's plenty of amazing looking mons I still haven't tried and I'm sure some of these teams just auto-lose to one random threat or another, but I played enough games to at least get the impression that these are all decent usable. Oh and I tried to use as many different mons as possible so there may be a place or three where something would be more optimal but it's already on a different team. This meta is really fun, please try it out!

Click on the sprites for the pokepaste

Scarf Boomer + Underrated Frog
:Exploud::Talonflame::Regirock::Silvally::Lanturn::Toxicroak:

SubSalac Sword of Justice
:Virizion::Indeedee-f::Palossand::Silvally::Guzzlord::Basculin:

MagDra is really stupid
:Magmortar::Kingdra::Roserade::Silvally::Druddigon::Articuno:

Not as stupid as Indeedee+Sceptile
:Kabutops::Sigilyph::Sirfetch:Indeedee-f::Sceptile::Omastar:

Idk this was mostly just 6 things I wanted to test in this meta
:Machamp::Tsareena::Archeops::Rotom::Magneton::Claydol:

Same with this one but it comes together a little better
:Sneasel::Charizard::Aromatisse::Jellicent::Mesprit::Duraludon:

:kingdra: :sigilyph: :passimian: :piloswine: :heliolisk: :hitmontop:
team
Rocks with pilo, spin and intimidate with top, and voltswitch momentum with pass and helio are the main aspects. I found that sub + dd kingdra is actually rather fun to use and can set up on vaporeon’s face. And specs sigi is just a good ol' wallbreaker to use, really, using psychic + air slash alone is good enough to break through a few mons. Not much else to say, this IS just a generic offense team after all.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Hi there! I said this over on the NP thread, but building for the Crown Tundra full drops meta (that's what I'm calling it anyway) wasn't the most fun thing for me. Constantly having to take into account mons such as Sigilyph, Sirfetch'd, Exploud, etc while not leaving myself open to other niche threats was quite annoying. However, I have a few teams that clicked with me while during the meta, and since they're outdated I thought I'd post them here.

Buncha' Brokens
:ss/galvantula: :ss/sirfetch :ss/exploud: :ss/passimian: :ss/gourgeist: :ss/golurk:

There isn't much to this team, but I think that's what makes it so much fun to use: the pure simplicity of it. Very standard Webs build. You have Webs user, physical breaker, special breaker, Defog deterrent, spinblocker, and random filler slot I used on Colbur Berry Trick Golurk to annoy other teams. Except for Passimian, I tried to stay away from more standard sets and see how effective they were, and they did impress. The MVP of this team has to be either Galvantula or Sirfetch'd. Galvantula is a great check to opposing Sticky Webs teams thanks to Boots, and teams tended to get lazy and expect Sash, so they're caught off guard when I run Boots and Volt Switch out of their lead. Sirfetch'd's ability to abuse pivots is absolutely amazing and one of the reasons I'm not mad to see it go. You kinda just click SD against balance or if you think they're gonna switch and CC against offense. Crits come in clutch and it's really good at bluffing Band, which helps in the mindgame. Throat Spray Exploud I thought was just going to be a neat gimmick, but being able to take down switchins such as Gigalith or Aggron with Boomburst into Focus Blast (which almost always missed for me so I ended up using Surf instead) was great and often decided between a Exploud sac or a clean sweep. Finally, Gourgeist is Bulky Band and not standard Band because I like the bulk and how it lives 2 Throat Chops from AV Hitmonchan. I also ran into a TR team once and this absolutely clutched it for me, being able to live hits standard wouldn't.

#BanTerrain
:ss/pincurchin: :ss/raichu-alola: :ss/sceptile: :ss/magneton: :ss/hitmonlee: :ss/archeops:

I tried out a bunch of HO builds during the meta (Sun, Rain when Drizzle was accidentally legal for a bit, Sticky Webs as seen above, Hail, TR), but the only one that stood out as even close to broken was Electric Terrain. Not only was Pincurchin an absurd enabler, laying Spikes to chip walls that would otherwise be okay checks like Ferroseed and giving momentum with Memento, Raichu-A was an insane breaker with Rising Voltage. Pretty much anything not named Ferroseed, Claydol, or AV Guzz died at +2 to Rising Voltage or Surf, and each of the 3 remaining team slots can be dedicated to beating these. Hitmonlee is quite standard and actually didn't see that much use, but I want to touch on Sceptile for a bit. I found that, more often than not, Sceptile didn't really need Grass STAB, as Rock-types fold to a +2/+4 Drain Punch and Grounds and bulky Waters were literally setup fodder. So I kinda just ran Substitute on it to abuse these bulky Waters and Grounds seeing as Sceptile without it is easy Toxic bait. It ended up working very well as I got free SDs while they tried to break the Sub, and when they did I either put it up again or KOed them. Speed EVs outspeed Jolly/Timid Kingdra in rain after Unburden, which was the fastest thing I could beat while still being Adamant. Magneton was built to trap Ferro while not being completely useless afterwards, making it a great secondary RV user. Last slot was just filler so I ran Lead Archeops for Rocks and free turns. Pretty straightforward and predictable lead but it always got Rocks down so it worked.

I Swear It's Balance
:ss/xatu: :ss/claydol: :ss/weezing: :ss/silvally-fairy: :ss/regigigas: :ss/indeedee-f:

Hyper offense is pretty fun, but I tend to enjoy more defensive builds such as balance or semi-stall due to consistency and wider freedom when building, to an extent. This is probably my favorite team out of the bunch because of this. I built this to beat teams in a shorter amount of time, which is why you don't see any recovery beyond Roost on Xatu or Lefties, due to how many snowballers there were in the tier. Xatu is standard SpDef set to block hazards and better check Ribombee (I didn't see Golurk often, but when I did, they always assumed I was Levitate Weezing, so I could just play 50/50s between CC and Poltergeist with Regi and Xatu). Claydol exists solely to spin and/or win if things get bad and is SpDef because Xatu kinda sucks at walling things. ToxTect is a cool thing I run on many defensive mons with only Lefties for recovery. NGas Weezing was a great check to stuff like Guts Machamp and laying TSpikes while threatening with Wisp is always nice. The Silvally-Fairy used to be a Ditto but then i realized my team was super weak to a well-played Sneasel or Absol, so I added it to check them. It outspeeds Absol while being pretty bulky, which I think is important, and Fire Fang means chipped Steels go bye-bye. Regigigas just doesn't die unless you get a bad MU against a Fighting, but even that can be avoided by Subbing on the switch and winning a 50/50 or two. It was a check, and sometimes even a counter, to multiple prominent mons such as Specs Expolud (it had to not only predict the switchin with Focus Blast, but also have it hit twice), AOA Sigilpyh (remove its Life Orb and nothing breaks a Sub), and Kingdra (Dragon Dance is a bit of a problem on paper but the rest should be fine). I again had a filler spot, so instead of using a cleric I went for the busted Indeedee-F to clean after TSpikes were put down and everything was chipped.

Got nothing else to say, I just liked these teams despite not doing much with their sets or builds. I guess less is more sometimes.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I've been experimenting with rain recently (Kabutops especially) and made a couple of teams that work consistently well on the ladder. As I'm sure everyone knows, rain took a big hit with the loss of Kingdra in the last ban slate. In fact, there are hardly any viable rain abusers left at all! Besides the strong fossil pokemon, rain sweepers are generally outclassed by other weather archetypes in the current meta. In fact, throughout most of my weather experiments, I have found sun to be much stronger in the current PU meta. Not only are the abusers much more powerful, but the setters are more reliable and all-around better pokemon.

Nonetheless, I have found a handful of rain abusers that work well in the current metagame:

KABUFISH OFFENSE

This is probably the more consistent team of the two. The idea is to set up rain using Uxie and Sableye and then sweep with one of the three abusers.

Uxie is a strong defensive pokemon that can set up rain or rocks and than pivot into a rain abuser. Sableye works similarly except it utilizes its ability prankster to dish out priority encores and rain dances. It's important that as long as your setters aren't immediately threated, you should try to set up rain dance and maintain offensive presence, otherwise you risk being taken advantage of by the opponent. Remember! Prankster does not work against dark types or queenly majesty, so don't get tripped up by Absol, Guzzlord, or Tsareena!

Kabutops and Qwilfish are relatively self explanatory. They come in during rain and go really fast. They both have access to swords dance and they both compliment each others weaknesses nicely. On this team Kabutops runs boots to help deal with ever present sticky webs, but they're not mandatory. I've found great success with scarf and life orb as well. Further, Kabutops opts to run superpower instead of flip turn to deal with opposing steels and Guzzlord that often wall this team.

Unlike Kabutops, Qwilfish must run life orb to get off crucial damage. The first three moves are mandatory as well, but the last slot is optional. I run explosion for its raw strength and momentum, but feel free to run aqua jet, thunder wave, destiny bond, spikes, or whatever else you see fit.

Heliolisk is unique in that it is a rarely seen, successful electric type abuser. Heliolisk combines its strong natural power and speed to muscle past the opponent's checks and counters. Scarf Heliolisk makes an excellent cleaner late-game and often catches opponents off-guard thanks to a lightning fast 100% accurate thunder. In addition, dry skin provides a much needed water immunity as well as strong passive healing that keeps Heliolisk healthy.

Tsareena rounds out the final slot as a useful check and pivot that can threaten problematic counters. In addition to strong offensive power, Tsareena can provide hazard removal for the team and potentially sweep with rapid spin. Remember! if Kabutops fails to take out an opposing Guzzlord, HJK is your only viable option to not lose the game!

KABUZARD OFFENSE

What's this! But...but this looks like a sun team!
Ho ho! Indeed prescient trainer, while this team uses similar mechanics as common sun teams, it instead utilizes Rain to soak the opponent and swim to its full potential!

This team uses SCARF Kabutops to flip turn all over the opponent and maintain momentum. I've found this set to be much more reliable than swords dance for nabbing kills both in and out of rain. Obviously an adamant, rain-boosted liquidation is still incredibly strong, and stab flip turn allows Kabutops to come in and threaten the opponent repeatedly throughout the game.

The biggest difference between this team and the last is the utilization of Charizard. While Charizard is a devastating sun sweeper thanks to the near broken ability solar power, it is also a powerful, if not subtle abuser of rain. Rain makes the move hurricane hit 100% of the time and allows Charizard to blow through opposing teams that it would normally struggle with. It notably outspeeds and kills Roserade, a current meta threat that often hampers our sweeper Kabutops. While this seems equivalent to flamethrower or fire blast on paper, hurricane blows massive dents in opposing teams and frequently gets 2HKOs on the switch. Take note! Rain diminishes the power of your own flamethrower, so stay vigilant!

This Charizard set opts for heavy duty boots over specs to increase longevity and help defend against fairies. Roost is preferred over weather ball for more longevity, but customize as you see fit.

Shiinotic is an underrated defensive pokemon that works well in rain. I struggled to find a strong glue 'mon for this team before I settled on Shiinotic. Despite it's strong paper stats, I've always been underwhelmed by it in general. Spore is one of the strongest moves in the game, but Shiinotic is usually too slow to take advantage of it. Nonetheless, it works amazing well on this team for several reasons. First, Rain dish combined with leftovers allows Shiinotic to gain 1/8th of its hp every turn and therefore increase its decent bulk. Second, Shiinotic is a great check for common fighting types that threaten Kabutops and Heliolisk. Dark types like Absol and bulky waters are similarly dealt with. Not only that, but rain decreases the power of fire, a notable Shiitnotic destroyer. Lastly, Shiinotic regularly forces pokemon out and therefore catches a devastating spore on the switch.

Remember! if the opposing pokemon can use poison jab, it will probably OHKO you, so preserve Sableye accordingly. Similarly, Roserade will destroy you, so take note of your Charizard's hp!

This team opts for Specs Heliolisk for raw power, but life orb is a strong, if not better alternative.

Thanks for reading and and I hope you guys enjoy!

Ohoho! So you've made it this far eh? Well, I suppose since you were kind enough to read my post I'll have to reward you for your time! Below is my patented Bob Barker sun team. It's very easy to use and makes climbing up the ladder a breeze. In addition, I've used this team to beat a certain PU council member in casual play, so trust me when I say the price is definitely right on this team!

These pokemon are all strong in their own right, and sun only makes them better! In addition, cloud nine lickilicky is a blast to use and helps counter opposing weather. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)