Metagame PU Squad Dump

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi again, I decided to post "good PU teams" after several friends of mine who want to get into PU told me they didn't know how to learn the tier since the Samples thread and Squad dump are dead. I'm really hoping other PU mains will post teams or at least post replays, that would really make PU more attractive and easier to get into.

Also, I wrote a lil' PU Ladder guide!
Part1: Ladder basic rules

We rarely talk "seriously" about ladder, but I think that not being able to reach 1500 or more in PU either shows the laziness of PU players, the lack of ressources for beginners, or a misunderstanding of Ladder:
1-you can pretty much reach a high elo by using 6 toptiers together as long as you don't play too poorly
2-ladder is probably the least fun place imo, since you need to be really prepped for bad pseudo-stall teams, all weathers, and trickroom in particular, which tend to be bad vs certain common mons but deadly vs others, therefore kinda limiting teambuilding.
3-The most common mons are Mesprit, Hitmonchan, Kangaskhan, Lanturn, Claydol, Sableye, Qwilfish and Absol/Persian-A from my experience.
4-Almost never seen mons include Lilligant, Froslass, Stoutland, Regirock, Sandslash-A, ie most toptiers. Pompom is non-existent.

What I want to say is that any idiot can be in top10 if they actually try to. I've been an idiot and still am, because I secretly believe I can be in topladder by using unmons. It is possible, sure. But it is hard, the outcome is unpredictable too. So if you want to, say, top1-top20, try to understand the "ladder metagame" (I've played OU for almost 3 years and done 3 OULT, I know what I'm talking about), and use it to your advantage.

As you may know by now, thinking "i'm going to ladder with X mon cuz its fun" is not what you should do when laddering for Points and as fast as possible. Anyone who has reached 1600+ knows that you will gain +4/+8 in most games, or lose -15/-20 or even -35 (yes, trust me) due to the average elo of ladder players being low.

I might be harsh, but one thing is to say "I'm too lazy for laddering/Ladder sucks" when you have never climbed it to the top, another one is to say
it when you have already explored it in depth. But as I said before, any idiot can climb the ladder to the top, so if you feel insulted, you should feel insulted for laziness, nothing else ! I just know how annoying and frustrating the ladder can be, so I want to help you if you actually need help, and not spend time laddering in vain. Let's see more 'detailed' rules now:

Part2: How to Ladder in PU

What I said before and what I will say now are obviously subjective statements, that I will just consider as true since it always worked for me and for people I chat with.

1-Hyperbeam Lilligant kills the ladder. The common checks are scarfers, hitmonchan with icepunch (lol) and leftovers drampas. Oricorio doesn't exist, audinos dont run toxic (most of the time), while spdef sandslash has a negative usage, so you don't need Hp fire.

2-Gurdurr+Pursuit Skunk kill the ladder. Colbur Mesprit/claydol are by far the most common checks to gurdy, unlike in tournaments where mesprits tend to be offensive and paired with sturdy gurdurr checks such as sableye/pompom/quagsire. Gurdurr+Skuntank also handle most cheese (hail/rain/trickroom) thanks to their priority, bulk and general utility. Although this core is a biiit outdated since it straightup loses to more adapted teams using the former gurd checks, it's still very potent vs ladder which relies on mesprit/defensive jellicent.

3-Hitmonchan is good vs ladder. Froslass is quite rare, whereas drampa/eelektross/lanturn are common. It also protects you from ludicolo rain, and from hail teams. Pair it with skuntank too.

4-Prepare for stall, but not stall you would see in tour settings. Ladder "stall" is usually "spikestacking semi-stall". Indeed, spikestacking is a fairly active playstyle, while pure stall is just passive and not using a wincon like spikes. Sableye+Qwilfish+Audino/Lickylicky (lol) is the dominant ladder stall, often paired with 3 random mons, sometimes an unaware user, sometimes gourgeist, altaria or mudsdale. Lilligant and stoutland can usually dispose of most ladder stalls, especially if paired with healing wish and running respectively Healbell and IronHead (for toxic users/carbink stalls).

5-Avoid using pure offense, ie very agressive teams with little bulk that aren't anti-meta unlike rain, hail, sun and TR. Balance/BulkyOffense are much better, since they are able to pressure your oppo while having solid bulky backbones to fall on if your oppo brings HO, which typically destroys frailer offenses (best example is SD kabu in rain, faster than the entire meta including scarfers, and able to ohko most things not called gurdurr, gastrodon or quagsire).

6-Avoid using cheese-weak teams (offense is typically weak to weathers/TR, but balance can be very weak to stall if it has not enough offensive pressure, while some balance/BO (bulkyoffense) can lack speed control/tanks/pivots. For example, AV eelektross+no ice resist is a tough matchup vs aurorus hail.

6-Don't use teams that look "shaky" or slightly "MU based" like you would in tournaments (because you know your oppo's playstyles/you take the risk since it's a bo3). You have to play... 40, 50, 60, 70 games? You will fight every possible kind of ladder team, so you need a team that deals with all of them. Your team might be bad/outdated by tournament standards, but remember: Ladder is an entirely different meta.

Part3: Stall and Rain: should I use them?

Stall is extremely potent in all ladders, although many people consider it as "cheating", "cheesing" or "unfun". I'm in this category. Not because I am jealous of people who reach 1 million elo with 99 gxe, but because I view it as pointless, and a waste of time on your way to learning competitive mons. Most competent players can ladder fairly easily without these playstyles, and although they might have a bad gxe or whatever stat you care about, the only thing that matters is elo, and I strongly believe it is better to lose several games vs pikachus and lickylicky stall than crushing all your opponent's team with a SD rain qwilfish, which requires no skill and can be achieved by any idiot, or stalling a team with no breaker for 2000 turns just to keep your gxe perfect.

Rain:
-pros: fast games ; no need for thinking.
-cons: matchup based ; no room for creativity (you use the best rain, there aren't 2/3 kind of rains different enough and as good as each other) outplayed by competent players since they are always used the same way (rocks, rain, uturn, break; rain, uturn, break etc), which can be frustrating since you end up making 5050s in many scenarios (do I go mesprit on hitmonchan or do I stay in with ludicolo/kabutops?). These 5050s are unlikely to happen vs ladder players though, so just keep in mind the "matchup based" point.

Stall:
-pros: extremely high win/ratio, even in the hands of mediocre players; room for creativity ; requires little thinking.
-cons: matchup based to some extent (all stalls have their flaws) ; long-very long battles ; risk of timerstalling from opponents who know they will lose/just want to annoy you ; being called bad, if you care enough about it.

In a nutshell, these are the two real "cheese" playstyles in PU (a third one might be ferroclefghost spikes if the seed drops). Cheese because they require little skill and thinking, and most of the time winning/losing at team preview if nobody on both sides does significant outplays/draws a good gameplan (choosing the right lead, sacking the right mons, identifying the wincondition) from turn1 in order to reverse the MU (matchup) advantage.

Using them is allowed, it's a strategy like others in order to win, but it won't help you improving at pokémon, and might be kinda unfun/frustrating. Being cheese doesn't mean a 100% success, I have seen several rains and stalls failing to climb the ladder since they kept being outplayed/had a big flaw in the team structure.

I think I covered the most important things about laddering, I'll probably edit one or two points after re-reading it. So, let's move on now !

Here is a selection of my teams which I think are really fine in both tournament and ladder. I will first post the teams I used to qualify in PULT, in chronogical order (order of use, all were built before it started). I just hope that this post will change your attitude towards laddering, encourage you (whatever you level is) to post teams, and make the ladder a bit more competitive and attractive. Let's go!

Omastar @ Waterium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Flame Charge
- Explosion
- Swords Dance

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Facade

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- X-Scissor
- Leaf Blade
- Magic Coat

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

As any ladder player should know, HO is the best playstyle vs lowladder:
-it forces your oppo to play more passively, and destroys random breakers like rampardos, zangoose, raichu etc. So it prevents losses vs unlikely breaker spam while winning games quickly vs irrelevant teams.
-it doesn't need much thinking, and you don't risk getting outplayed since most lowladder players don't anticipate at all.

This team is straightforward: lead with leavanny, setup webs, and start wrecking havoc with the breakers. 3 fighting weakness+3 fighting resists, gurdurr/hitmonchan/ape are monsters vs HO ;_; The team optimizes wallbreaking presence and synergy (that's the best I could do with webs), but might lack some speed vs flying/levitating mons. Golurk should setup rocks only if it finds the opportunity, it is here as a rock/elec resist+fighting immunity, so use it carefully!

The team isn't great imo, especially vs competent players, but very fun and effective vs lowladder-midladder too.

Strength: great vs "standard" PU: gurdurr-mesprit-lanturn teams. Easy to use. Fast and Fun games.
Weaknesses: Mudsdale, Flying types, Prankster Weather setters. MU based.

Mesprit @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Substitute

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 180 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Toxic

Victreebel @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Strength Sap

Froslass @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Destiny Bond

Hakamo-o @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Skuntank @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Aftermath
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Defog

HakamO is fun and very good vs rain and sun, as well as being able to wall eelektross/lanturns/simisear/victreebel/specs jellicent that I started seeing in opposing LTPU teams. Vic+mesprit are the breakers+fighting resist, while froslass does froslass things: cripples stuff and lays spikes down, which is crucial for hakamoO to work. Scarf skunk is a really solid set I started using, able to check the unboosted tier, and defog vs sableye+qwilfish/taunt froslass.

Corsola @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

Tangela @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed

Audino @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Flamethrower
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Duosion @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Acid Armor
- Recover

Skuntank @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Punishment
- Defog

A fun team (corsola/mienfoo aren't viable, while duosion is arguably viable). regen spam, I replaced duosion's regen by magic guard cuz I don't want to autolose to toxic, mienfoo uuuuuh knocks items to help skuntank. Idk how many flaws this team has but it has never lost yet lol. Battles are a bit long tho and less fun as you get used to the team.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Clear Smog
- Recover

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Skuntank @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Defog

Lilligant @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hyper Beam
- Heal Bell

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

So I started memeing around with monopoison and then lost -35 vs a dude at 1200, so I decided to just ladder seriously with a real team. I started with cleric lilligant, which is basically an instawin vs most ladder teams (especially ladder stalls that lose on turn1 lol), paired with gastro+hitmonchan which destroy all weathers easily, and then mesprit as the breaker, skunk as speed control+defog (hitmonchan can only spin vs teams lacking a ghost-type, which is rare in PU), while sandslash is amazing and compresses roles: rocks user, knock user, ice/normal/bird resist.

Akuba (Abomasnow) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Shard

Saitama (Hitmonchan) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch

Speed'o'Sound (Sandslash-Alola) @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Boolloon (Qwilfish) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Emerald (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Recover

Aiedail (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Ktut hail v.1000 I guess. Last version had quagsire>qwilfish and froslass>sableye, but that made it more passive and not that great vs fighting types ironically. Also I wanted to use sableye in hail since it hard stops fighting types which are the biggest issue. Team isn't that great (like most hails, MU based), but pretty good vs ladder teams. Chan is banded since LO chan is garbage and always dies of recoil from my experience.

Hakamo-o @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Kangaskhan @ Figy Berry
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Night Shade
- Recover

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

This one is similar to the hail one, actually the hail team is a revamp of this one: as you can see, chan->hakamoO, abomasnow->mesprit, and sandslash SD->sandslash spdef. hakamoO was supposed to check houndoom, but it does have a niche now imo since victreebel and simisear rose in the Viability Rankings, while still walling the good ol' eelektross, lanturn and lilligant, as well as a more recent threat in jellicent (thanks bulletproof). Speed creeps 48spdef sandslash-A. This is probably my best attempt at building balance in this meta, the hail version is offense imo, idk how to classify them. Let's just say spikestacking!

You can also use the DogSpikes team from the samples, which has good rain/hail/stall matchup (ie, good ladder matchup). Also I don't know if I can post in this thread or if I should move it to another place (since it is a Ladder guide and Team dump at the same time). Anyway, apologizes for the length of this Pu squad dump post, I hope you will enjoy it ^^'

Last edited:

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
I told myself that id post some teams for the Squad dump after the shift, expecting big changes coming up. Guzzlord is still quite a bit one but not exactly the only one I was anticipating. Nonetheless, as a player who got into PU not too many months ago, Ive slowly gained a bit of confidence in my knowledge of the meta and in my building, some of which was gained thru experience of thru influence from great players.

These teams are by no means perfect but I thought id be cool to post some of these for the sake of this thread, since otherwise they might just end up lost in old replays, and if they’ve proven to be effective for me, maybe they’ll give some players ideas for their building? Idk really, but all of us are in a learning experience and, to me, is worth keeping a record of (as well as keeping a record of whats efficient in a certain meta).

Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head / Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Lum Berry
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Guzzlord @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 136 Def / 252 SpA / 60 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off

This first team is one of the ones that Ive enjoyed the most through the past weeks. I had initially built it prior to Doom dropping. It originally had Gastrodon and then Drampa in the Guzzlord slot. As said in my VR post in which I mentioned Abomasnow, the tree has a great speed tier and is able to break through a ton of teams with the right coverage move, many of which utilize Slash Alola as their only Ice resist or Pokemon such as Lanturn as their Sp Def wall. My secondary form of speed control is Sandslash-Alola, the option between SD and Iron Head comes from a general annoyance for Froslass, which isn’t a particular big issue for the team but one which can cause a bit of damage if not dealt with properly. SD prob better though. Guzz is my second wallbreaker, quite self explanatory. I have yet to decide on my favorite set for it, initially I had the Z on Pom Pom and used Specs Drampa on the Guzz slot, but I enjoy Lum Pom Pom since its able to avoid being put to sleep by Lilli and also avoids potential Toxic from different mons, which comes in handy when this able takes on stall teams. The team is finally supported further by Mesprit and the aforementioned Ori to alleviate the noticeable Fighting type weakness.

Theres a few potential wincons in the team: Gurdurr, Pom Pom and Slash Alola, and the team does a good job of having a great offensive presence while also having more than decent ways of dealing with opposing wallbreakers and sweepers threats such as Stout, Lilli (Notice the 4 checks?), opposing Guzz, etc.

The team can struggle a bit with Pokemon such as Simisear and Raichu-Alola, as well as Aurorus, but the general speed control achieved by Aboma and Slash as well as the defensive utility of Pokemon such as Mesprit and Guzzlord make these match ups possible to play around, usually when playing a bit more aggressively.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-886969164
This was a pretty good battle that could’ve gone completely south because of a 50/50. Slash is able to take advantage of the hail to take down four mons, further supported by Ori in the end game against the Sableye. Aboma is also able to put in a good amount of work by outspeeding the opposing Aboma. Hail is naturally risky against both players since it can definitely work as a double edged sword.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-882611040

In this second replay against gum I notice that I was being incredibly reactionary and passive thru the first half of the match. The point of this replay is simply to show how the build is able to pressure Fighting-types despite the team having quite a bunch of weaknesses to the type. Due to a series of misplays (I have no idea what I was thinking during this game) I end up losing to Lilli despite having like 4 checks. I did try to predict the Aurorus coming in everytime earlier in the battle but I ended up simply reacting to what my oppo was doing later on. There was a good attempt at bringing shit back later on but having most of my checks weakened allowed Lilli to just pick off Ori and secure the W.

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Ive always enjoyed the Rotom forms quite a bit and I find Rotom-Frost in particular to be a great, yet tricky to use, offensive threat in the PU metagame. Rotom Frost functions as a fast offensive Defog user (though it has the option of Will-O-Wisp in that slot sometimes),that’s able to beat most hazard setters in a 1 v 1 situation including Regirock, Mesprit, defensive Slash-Alola, Mudsdale and having very little in terms of actual counters due to its amazing classic Ice-Electric coverage (as well as functioning as a great offensive pivot with actual solid defenses).

The concept of this team was to use Rotom Frost to weaken physical walls while Stout is able to break thru the special ones. Once again alleviating the Fighting weakness was vital so using Mesprit and Pom Pom seemed only reasonable. Lilligant does Lilli thing and is obviously a great wincon alongside Pom Pom. Scarfed Mesprit gives the team its main form of Speed control and Grass Knot is used to break thru Ground and Water Pokemon without risking Lilligant on a potential Toxic or allowing it to take damage, as well as helping against Shell Smashers. Finally Regirock is one of the best hazard setters in the tier rn and rounds up the team giving it a better way of dealing with Flying and Normal types like Dodrio and Stoutland.

This team is really a lot of fun and its absurd how much work Rotom Frost is able to put on slower builds or in builds in which the oppo isn’t using a Pokemon such as Lanturn. This mon is incredibly underrated and should see more use.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-882607264

This match against Gum showcases Rotom Frosts power against slower builds. My oppo had prepped really well against Lilli, Stout and Pom Pom, but the speed of the team made it susceptible to Frost, which meant that it was able to clean late game. I know that this was a team in the test and theres been circumstances in which gum has beaten this team by pressuring the Frost a lot (its kinda the only way to do it) or simply with a Pokemon like Lanturn, but builds of this kind aren’t uncommon in the meta, and its also worth pointing out how great of a speed tier Rotom F has against so many common threats, even including slower wallbreakers such as Stout and Aggron.

Dugtrio-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Tangling Hair
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Rocky Helmet
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Regirock @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Raichu-Alola @ Psychium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Drampa @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Glare
- Roost
- Defog

This third team is quite weird, looks weird and functions in strange ways as well. Its definitely one of my least favorites from this list but it has some interesting set choices and Pokemon that I thought would be worth showcasing.

This team functions around Raichu Alola and Eelektross. Raichu Alola is a great offensive wallbreaker that a lot of teams don’t prep for. Eel is able to break thru a lot of Pokemon that Raichu dislikes such as Mudsdale, Lanturn while the faster threats such as Dodrio are checked by Regirock. This Drampa set was sent to me by my friends Specs Jigglypuff, who utilized it in one of his laddering videos. Its able to function as a Defog user that can beat +1 Hyper Beam Lilli and defensive Slash in a 1v1 situation. Its surprisingly effective. Scarf Duggy Alola, recommended to me by EviGaro a while back is able to beat Flying types such as Pom Pom offensively as well as being able to pick off threats such as scarf Primeape, opposing Raichu Alola and Simisear as well as being able to outspeed Pokemon such as Omastar after a Shell Smash. Why use this over a Pokemon such as Dodrio? The reason is pretty much its coverage and ability to check a multititude of Pokemon like the aforementioned without having to add another Stealth Rock weakness, as well as not having to rely on a mon that’s gonna kill itself due to Brave Bird recoil lol. Pom Pom does Pom Pom things, I use this mon a lot ig.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-872391769

Great match against my friend PTF. I manage to make it so my opponents team is weakened enough to the point of Duggy cleaning. One great thing about this set is the surprise factor that comes along with it, since its able to outspeed Pokemon such as scarf Primeape and do around 80% as well as speed tie with Dodrio. Really had a good matchup because of the Raichu which really helped wearing down the opposing team earlier on and forcing out switches, which I also mentioned earlier by talking about mons players don’t really prep for.

Sableye @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

This team was used for my second round of Gods Among Us. The team was meant to do the best against Gallade but Ive been able to test it outside of this realm and functions quite well. Bulky spikes team with Sableye as the spin blocker. Roselia is kinda awkward rn admittedly but is able to provide a good sp def wall for the team while Sableye covers for the physical threats bar Stoutland and a few others. Toxic Gurdurr is able to support Sandslash Alola in its sweeping while Aurorus functions as the secondary form of hazard control, able to heavily dent and wallbreak thru different Pokemon (same story as Aboma but slower and with different coverage, also no phys EQ and a 4x weakness to Fighting). Mes is the second Fighting check and the Stealth Rock setter.

The concepts of Spikes plus Hail is quite simple and common but you simply set layers of spikes and annoy the hell out of your oppo with Sableye, stopping them from getting rid of them while you create as much chip as possible for Gurdurr and Slash Alola to sweep in the end game. Ty Specs once again for helping out with this one.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nu-888447420

Really fun match for Gods Among us round 2. Even if Gallade isn’t in the tier this replay shows how Sableye is able to shut down physical attackers while Roselia is able to pressure the special ones. The presence of Dark types such as Persian Alola, Guzz and Skunk sometimes bother this core, but theyre able to remain not that threatening due to the offensive presence that is obtained from Gurdurr as well as Scarf Aurorus and offensive Slash Alola. Very cool team that might require a lot of aggressive counterplay against Pokemon like Rotom Frost, Raichu Alola and Simi. Remember how I mentioned how not many prep for some of these?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-888528723

Meme match against my friend Sketchy while Mengy was on my acc. This has some really funky plays, but I mostly wanted to showcase how these slower builds struggle with a series of wallbreakers such as the ones I mentioned on the same replay and Pokemon such as Stout since Gurdurr can be mediocre at checking it. My oppo should’ve won that one, just made a little mistake at the end totally forgetting bout the Rocky Helmet but…hey, Rose deals with Lilli quite well.

Houndoom @ Firium Z
Ability: Unnerve
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Pursuit
- Nasty Plot

Regirock @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick
- Knock Off

Victreebel @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Strength Sap
- Sleep Powder

Froslass @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

This is a Lass-Doom team that I built during the suspect test. Not really much to say here, I ended up going for NP Doom even though I felt like that was probably one of the worst sets for it, since I really liked AoA and Specs. Id probably change that to it now but ill just show it as is. The bulky Vic is able to take on +1 Hyper Beam from Lilli and the rest was simply put in defense since I might as well. P basic team really but still a somewhat fair representation of what was being used during Doom meta, in which everyone was suddenly using Hitmonchan again.

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Golem-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Magnet Pull
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Explosion

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Now heres mono-electric. Gum and I had been build random PU monotype teams and we had come up with this one, which is one of the best in my opinion. A lot of types simply don’t have whats required for a full monotype team but this one is actually pretty good. Its quite fun so I thought Id showcase it.

Thank you so much for reading!

Last edited:

my favorite types of teams to make are teams relying on spamming pivoting and/or priority with spike stack.
this is a relatively old take on this idea, from before houndoom meta, and probably the most consistent of my old squads from around that time. after Kiyo convinced me to use Electrode, i decided to pair it with the choice band gourgeist from one of his old videos, and it performed quite well despitie the transition into a different gen and metagame. i added sandslash to provide spinning and a consistent resist to ice and flying; then a scarf scyther rounds off the offensive core; it and electrode creating a pretty respectable voltturn duo. lastly, the fire weakness is ridiculous, so a double water core of quagsire and omastar was added. the added bonus of omastar comfortably providing spikes and sr and quagsire being able to curse up and potentially take games. the spikes helps with potential late game tbolt/shadow sneak/aerial ace cleaning from one of the offensive mons. special fires, especially those with grass coverage, can prove to be a nuisance, but are more often than not prone to being revenge killed at a rather quick rate by one of the offensive mons, either getting overpowered by thunderbolt, harassed by the pretty strong shadow sneak, outran and finessed by aerial ace, and even lured by gourgeist expecting the standard defensive variant. also pu doesn't have fires anyway. team actually has a large number of exploitable weaknesses, but its one of those squads that's kinda at equilibrium at its current state-- i feel that changing one thing to help patch up one weakness results in amplifying another, so i generally like this version of the squad.
fun fact: all of my offensive mons are choiced and all of my defensive mons are blue.
here are some games in which i utilize the team successfully.

Electrode @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Volt Switch

Gourgeist-Super @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Sneak
- Explosion
- Trick

Careful Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Recover
- Curse

Omastar @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Quad Protect Balance

Looking at m3po post about Probopass in the viability rankings got me thinking about how I can use it efficiently and this monstrosity of a team was the result. Albeit it's a pretty strange concept, this team revolves around 4 Protect Pokemon; trust me though, there is a reason why I decided to go down this route. Most balance teams gets overwhelmed by locked-in breakers like Stoutland and Aurorus but this specific team combination gives you outs for most if not all common breakers in the tier. Just protect, scout for the move your opponent clicks, and then switch to a designated counter or check. After running protect on so many Pokemon, I decided to just go with the nice and stable Toxic + Protect combo. This gives the first 4 Pokemon synergy and makes it so you don't lose to set-up sweepers like Omastar and A-Raichu by stalling them out with Toxic + Protect. Oricorio-E is here to act as a defogger, wincon, and Lilligant check while Silvally-Fairy acts as an all-around Gurdurr + Guzzlord check that can win late-game with SD + Multi-Attack. Poliwrath should be your designated Aggron + Lycanroc switch-in and Lanturn was added to the team for pivoting purposes and to act an electric immunity. This team has a fun little quirk where Audino has Normalium Z to prevent it from getting tricked by the likes of Manectric and Mespit but it can be changed to Leftovers if you don't feel like it's necessary. Probo's the dedicated rocker for the squad and is amazing for checking stuff like Stoutland and Aurorus.

Threats: Victreebel, CB Ground types, Taunt, SD Abomasnow, Substitute + Setup.

Other Probopass teams cuz why not:

Specs Shiinotic Bulky Offense

Double Grass Offense

CB Hitmonchan Bulky Offense

Raticate Balance?????

Lol idk what archetype this is. Anyways I love mice, so I built a team round rat. I made an RMT about this team, but I'll give you a bit of information on how to use it. Stealth Rock Mespirit is an amazing poke. I use it for rocking, and crippling some pokemon with paralysis. Quilfish sets up more hazards as well as provides some resistance and STAB. Specs Guzzlord is the sweeper. IT IS A BEAST. Ye anyways, Swanna scarfs and revenge kills some stuff. Raticate also revenge kills some stuff. Mudsdale provides that need bit of **stall**.
Welp there is my team for you.

EDIT:
Raticate @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Stomping Tantrum
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 196 Def / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Defog

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:

Pretty straightforward HO. The idea is to lead with weak armor kabutobs to get up your rocks and keep of hazards on your side and try to overpower the opponent with the 4 setup sweepers including raticate which is actually a threat. It has a good speedtier, hits very hard with guts boosted facade and has decent coverage with stomping tantrum and sucker punch. The team struggles with trick room and weather teams (as most ho's) but has a decent matchup versus other archetypes.
Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917902799 (versus ho)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917898018 (versus bo)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917969569 (versus bo)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917894489 (versus bo)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917878542 (versus stall)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917758365 (versus bo raticate putting in work)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-917763734 (versus semistall)

Import: https://pokepast.es/eaa9a3f0297994b6

Last edited:

George (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Trick Room

Bash (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Fartz (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

Bruce Lee (Hitmonchan) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 104 SpD / 128 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Bitcher Blant (Victreebel) @ Rocky Helmet
Timid Nature
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

ur mum (Aggron) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail

As the title says, very new to this level of play (although pokemon has, of course, been a favorite since childhood). This is the first team I built by myself that has had a decent enough rate of success. I was hoping I could get some feedback, constructive critique, insights, etc.

Misdreavus ends up with equal defensive stats (solid 338's) so i tend to open with that, get some status cons on some enemy mons.
Marowak has been my all time favorite pokemon since my first pokemon game (fire red) so I've got a soft spot for this guy, but he spits Stealth Rocks and can give enemies a good whack consistently gets at least 1 kill, usually more
Skuntank.... Defog and Pursuit, 'nuff said?
Hitmonchan for more hazard clearing and throwing hella hands. The surprising staying power with drain punch should not be dismissed
Vistreebel sort of a PU standard for the time being, huh?
Aggron can PHaze with Dragon Tail in addition to being a beefy powerhouse

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

George (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Trick Room

Bash (Marowak) @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Fartz (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

Bruce Lee (Hitmonchan) @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 104 SpD / 128 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Bitcher Blant (Victreebel) @ Rocky Helmet
Timid Nature
- Strength Sap
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

ur mum (Aggron) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Dragon Tail

As the title says, very new to this level of play (although pokemon has, of course, been a favorite since childhood). This is the first team I built by myself that has had a decent enough rate of success. I was hoping I could get some feedback, constructive critique, insights, etc.

Misdreavus ends up with equal defensive stats (solid 338's) so i tend to open with that, get some status cons on some enemy mons.
Marowak has been my all time favorite pokemon since my first pokemon game (fire red) so I've got a soft spot for this guy, but he spits Stealth Rocks and can give enemies a good whack consistently gets at least 1 kill, usually more
Skuntank.... Defog and Pursuit, 'nuff said?
Hitmonchan for more hazard clearing and throwing hella hands. The surprising staying power with drain punch should not be dismissed
Vistreebel sort of a PU standard for the time being, huh?
Aggron can PHaze with Dragon Tail in addition to being a beefy powerhouse
Hi, and welcome to Smogon. We try to discourage new threads for individual teams since that leads to a lot of clutter, and there is a separate forum just for posting teams to be critiqued. However this wouldn't really meet the forum's standard so I just moved your thread into this one instead.

Are sprites necessary? I'm not sure how to post them, and I figure it'd be difficult on mobile. Anyway, hopefully a pokepaste will suffice:

https://pokepast.es/f12d6d464513258f

Servine is the Pokemon I wanted to build the team around. It is one of the few, if not only (I didn't check everything) Pokemon that can avoid the 2HKO from rocks Aggron, defog its rocks away, and heal itself. Servine can also check other rockers, like Regirock, though it doesn't like toxic. Because Servine lacks leftovers, and synthesis has very little pp, I decided to give it secondary recovery in giga drain and leech seed. I thought about leaf storm, but the low pp is off-putting, and Servine struggles to sweep due to its mediocre speed and coverage options.

Articuno is the face of stall in PU, and for good reason. It has immense special bulk, which sometimes makes up for its many weaknesses. It also has pressure, allowing it to pp stall hazards and toxic with defog and heal bell. The EV spread allows Articuno to outspeed timid Auroras, which can be stalled out of HP rock pp thanks to roost and pressure. Freeze-Dry has excellent coverage and pp, making it a great choice. Articuno can defog on a variety of targets, like Mudsdale that don't have both toxic and rock slide (you can roost to take less damage, but you have to heal bell if you get poisoned), Ferroseed, Auroras lacking a rock move, and Clefairy. In short, Articuno compresses a lot of roles, serving as a defogger, special wall, and cleric.

Audino is pretty much the only Pokemon that can stop Eelektross from building momentum with volt switch, thanks to regenerator and its solid bulk. The set is mostly standard, but I chose double edge as the attacking move to be less passive. This allows Audino to dispatch certain setup sweepers before they boost too much, like NP Liepard.

I used Quagsire instead of Pyukumuku so I can directly damage set up sweepers. Throh notably gets a boost from toxic, and can throw Pyukumuku out before it can pp stall Throh (which can then spam Circle throw to stop Pyukumuku from coming in to recover). I chose curse over toxic because I didn't want to have a quick lapse and toxic Gurdur or Throh, which often have guts. Curse also allows Quagsire to stay in on heavy breakers like banded dog (you know the one), so you don't have to guess which move they lock themselves into. Quagsire also has the benefit of checking banded Aggron, which Pyukumuku can't check.

Next up is the bug everyone sleeps on. I swear, people just keep punching this thing with their fighting types until you get to +6, then disconnect when you beat down their Hitmonchan or whatever have you. Aside from providing a surprise wincon, Dustox provides additional defog support, notably for Mudsdale, Dugtrio-A, and even Regirock (rock slide rarely 2HKOs, and you outspeed and roost anyway). As a poison type, Dustox doesn't have to worry about toxic from the aforementioned Pokemon. Bug buzz is a strong STAB move that bypasses substitute, which Dugtrio-A sometimes uses. Shield dust stops Dugtrio-A from flinching with iron head, and is a solid ability in general.

Lastly, I needed a rocker and a check to both Oricorio(E/G) and banded dog (Quagsire can't reliably switch in). Regirock fills these roles, and is kept healthy with leftovers and Audino's wishes. Rock slide easily 2HKOs Oricorio and bops Articuno, a popular defogger. Toxic cripples both the Pokemon Regirock checks and the Pokemon that switch in on it. Protect allows Regirock to heal with leftovers and scout for choice-locked Pokemon.

I have two teams i like to share. I made the first team for budget tour. I really liked scarf skuntank and cb throh from another team i had. So i started with them. Bronzor, tangela and muk(eel answer) form the defensive core where curse muk is also a nice wincon. Swanna is a nice offensive defoger. I personally like variant 2 more. this variant uses defog skuntank, specs fire monkey over throh and z dodrio over swanna.
Swanna variant paste: https://pokepast.es/dc330d00048632e6
Dodrio+fire monkey paste: https://pokepast.es/c406972e3bfe1818
I always forget to save replays but there are two on the alt paimar

Last edited:
Torterra dropping has been one of the best things PU has received in a long time. Grass/Ground typing is phenomenal and can easily break teams with SD or Banded sets or be a check to the ever so popular Eelektross with Specially Defensive ones. These traits made me fall in love with Torterra and it's currently my #1 used Pokemon in the PU tier. I'm here to spread the love by sharing some Torterra teams for those who wish to try it out. Hope you guys enjoy! I'll be sorting them out by sets: SD + Z-move, Banded, Physically Defensive, and Specially Defensive. I apologize for the overuse of Rotom-Frost/Bronzor + Torterra cores they just work so well together lol.

SD Torterra + CM Carbink

3 Attacks Granbull + CB Torterra

Double Dance Noctowl + CB Torterra

Hail Core + CB Torterra

Phys Def Torterra + CB Crabominable

Banded Qwilfish + Synthesis Ludicolo

Buginium Butterfree + Silvally-Poison

Hypnosis Mr. Mime + Scarf Raticate

Specs Manectric + Whirlpool Lanturn

Hypnosis Haunter + CB Regirock

Last edited:
I made a slight edit of the team I posted a few posts above, in response to Quagsire rising to UU: https://pokepast.es/0345b50dd4937efd

Pyukumuku can pretty much check whatever Quag had to, bar banded Aggron. Because of this, I moved some EVs on Regirock to avoid the 2HKO from banded head smash (heavy slam does less because Regirock is too heavy), and replaced protect with drain punch to smack Aggron and the newly risen Zangoose while healing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)