Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's the difference between PU & ZU ?
Hey, I moved this because the SQSA thread is for simple questions, sample teams is just for team submissions.
PU is an official Smogon tier, directly below NU. ZU is an Other Metagame, with the concept being imagine if there was a tier directly below PU. There are various things that go into being official, such as we have analyses and a dex page (https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/pu/) while ZU does not. However the biggest thing is just ZU being below PU, just like how UU is below OU.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Wasn’t Lycanroc-N good in PU? Why is it Untiered now?
I don't believe Lycanroc-Midnight was ever ranked higher than C, which is pretty bad, and as time has progressed the council has made an effort to sift through the VR and out things that don't really have a great enough niche to be ranked. No Guard STAB Stone Edge. What else? Lycanroc-Midnight was never really that great, tbh.

I don't believe Lycanroc-Midnight was ever ranked higher than C, which is pretty bad, and as time has progressed the council has made an effort to sift through the VR and out things that don't really have a great enough niche to be ranked. No Guard STAB Stone Edge. What else? Lycanroc-Midnight was never really that great, tbh.
First off, that was freaking quick.

Secondly, huh. I thought it was. I remember it being suggested in things like team options.

Ah well, Lycanroc Midday seems to be doing pretty well here, and there’s always ZU for Lycanroc-N

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First off, that was freaking quick.

Secondly, huh. I thought it was. I remember it being suggested in things like team options.

Ah well, Lycanroc Midday seems to be doing pretty well here, and there’s always ZU for Lycanroc-N
To add a bit more clarity to the answer, Lycanroc-M was ranked based on its Choice Scarf set being semi-effective in a few previous metas. However, once things like Aggron and Lycanroc became more common due to shifts, along with Togedemaru becoming the single-best Choice Scarf user in the tier, it saw little need to be used on any teams.

To add a bit more clarity to the answer, Lycanroc-M was ranked based on its Choice Scarf set being semi-effective in a few previous metas. However, once things like Aggron and Lycanroc became more common due to shifts, along with Togedemaru becoming the single-best Choice Scarf user in the tier, it saw little need to be used on any teams.
Gotcha. Thanks!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Ditto is kind of a mon that should always be D/C- in any tier that isn't somehow controlled by a bull shit trick room meta

But I thought about it some more and I wonder.

Is ditto somewhat of a smell test on a meta game? It can be amazing at beating polarized in HO/stall without having to burn 2 slots. I think it might be used more often as a result of metas that struggles with cores

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Is Jellicent somewhat suspect-worthy? Its pretty dominant rn
Its very dominant, both sets can fit on a plethora of teams and team styles. Suspect worthy tho? I don't think so. Choiced sets are pretty exploitable, and require almost perfect predictions against common offensive and defensive cores. It also has a hard time against opposing Jelli's + Normal types, which has been very common on Bulky Offense. Its defensive sets (while hard to break at times) are somewhat passive and aren't ridiculously hard to break. So while Jellicent is easily one of the best Pokemon in the tier, it's honestly good for the meta and isn't over centralizing or broken.

Idk exactly how the council feels about it but I haven't seen many complains about it. They will be looking closely at it though!

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
Why are viability votes held in secret and how can the players have faith in the sanctity and fairness of the process when transparency is so sorely lacking?

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In question format:

Where is the vote results for my crustle nomination? And where can I see the associated discussion?
To see the results, go back to the time we voted on it and they’ll be linked in the post. There is no current public discussion but asking here is the right thing to do. Note that this does not invite a discussion, it only warrants an answer. The nomination massively overrates Crustle and conflates it doing well situationally vs generally subpar teams and mediocre players with it being actually good. It doesn’t effectively address how badly Omastar outclasses Crustle either, which was the direct reason for unranking Crustle in the first place, and council felt that this reasoning did and still does apply to prevent Crustle from being worthy of ranking. Its small niches over Omastar make it desirable on teams more geared towards fun, not competitive play.

Is Zangoose good in this tier?
Usable at best, while its a good wallbreaker with Swords Dance or a scary setup-sweeper with Belly Drum currently its struggling in the meta, thanks to the amount of faster mons like Dodrio, Froslass and Togedemaru (The 2 last even doesn't care about about Quick Attack, when Dodrio is only OHKOed with 1 Swords Dance, good physical walls like the ever-so-common Colbur Mesprit,Colbur Jellicent and specially Quagsire that doesn't care too much about it (even more with the Belly Drum set) and, because both sets are passive to chip damage, priority users like Gurdurr, Kanghaskan, Lycanroc and Skuntank

Usable at best, while its a good wallbreaker with Swords Dance or a scary setup-sweeper with Belly Drum currently its struggling in the meta, thanks to the amount of faster mons like Dodrio, Froslass and Togedemaru (The 2 last even doesn't care about about Quick Attack, when Dodrio is only OHKOed with 1 Swords Dance, good physical walls like the ever-so-common Colbur Mesprit,Colbur Jellicent and specially Quagsire that doesn't care too much about it (even more with the Belly Drum set) and, because both sets are passive to chip damage, priority users like Gurdurr, Kanghaskan, Lycanroc and Skuntank
So from what I'm getting from this, he isn't bad, he's simply outclassed?

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
So from what I'm getting from this, he isn't bad, he's simply outclassed?
Yeah it has a ton of competition. Between Kangaskhan, Stoutland, Raticate-alola ect. Zangoose has a tough time standing out, and doing something better than the others. Not to mention killing itself with toxic damage, being vulnerable to mach punch, being extremely frail. It's not bad but it just doesnt have a lot going for it.

Is hyper offense buildable in this tier, or is bulky offense more viable?
Hyper offense is certainly a viable playstyle but having dedicated leads and such means you're more than likely just sacrificing a mon for rocks which isn't ideal. Bulky offense is a lot stronger in my opinion due to how it can actually check some threats to offense and trade against opposing offense reliably.

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
when is the next round of voting on outstanding nominations

Will we consider the rule that it is ILLEGAL to vote "no" without trying the pokemon first in some games?

so-called "theorymon," scourge of the site, can't be allowed surely?

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
no one answered my question
Voting for the VR is done when there's a sufficient amount of Pokemon to be voted on, and it doesn't have an exact gap of time; it can be between 2-3 weeks after the last vote usually. In terms of theorymoning, we really don't. As an ex-council member, I try pokemon that I have never used and I know others do too. And just an FYI, all your ladder replays supporting your noms are extremely low ladder, which is doubtful to turn heads at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)