Resource PU Simple Question, Simple Answers Thread

No one beats the bug

I COULD BE BANNED!
Voting for the VR is done when there's a sufficient amount of Pokemon to be voted on, and it doesn't have an exact gap of time; it can be between 2-3 weeks after the last vote usually. In terms of theorymoning, we really don't. As an ex-council member, I try pokemon that I have never used and I know others do too. And just an FYI, all your ladder replays supporting your noms are extremely low ladder, which is doubtful to turn heads at all.
I'd post replays from tournaments but for the fact "some people" have banned me from PU room
Thank you for response

I'm not that used to PU but I wonder why primeape dropped so much in the rankings, it used to be the best scarfer/revenge killer in the tier and a great anti hazard control mon, granted it has quite a few checks on balance and offense but it is still one of the better fighting mons here

Not to mention that its main checks such as weezing and oricorio-s have dropped off as well

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not that used to PU but I wonder why primeape dropped so much in the rankings, it used to be the best scarfer/revenge killer in the tier and a great anti hazard control mon, granted it has quite a few checks on balance and offense but it is still one of the better fighting mons here

Not to mention that its main checks such as weezing and oricorio-s have dropped off as well
Moved this to the SQSA thread where it belongs. Primeape dropped because even though its previous main checks dropped off, it's got a bunch of new ones. Jellicent and Froslass entering the tier means that at best its STAB isn't very spammable, Oricorio-Pom-Pom has gotten far more popular to offset the decline of Sensu, and Mudsdale is way more popular than it used to be (at least it was when ape dropped, it's cooled off a bit since). The influx of Choice Scarf Togedemaru also really sucks, since it means that Primeape's 95 base Speed is no longer the scarfer standard like it used to be. Teams are prepared for similarly fast mons and common U-Turns, and Toge itself is an effectively annoying Primeape check. Oh and Rocky Helmet got real popular which punishes Primeape for spamming U-Turn so much. Finally, the meta trended towards Scarfers that provide a bit more defensive utility like Togedemaru, Kabutops, and even Skuntank. Primeape's far from terrible, but there's not much in the meta that really favors it at the moment, it works on specific builds but it's far from the super splashable, high usage threat that it used to be.

Moved this to the SQSA thread where it belongs. Primeape dropped because even though its previous main checks dropped off, it's got a bunch of new ones. Jellicent and Froslass entering the tier means that at best its STAB isn't very spammable, Oricorio-Pom-Pom has gotten far more popular to offset the decline of Sensu, and Mudsdale is way more popular than it used to be (at least it was when ape dropped, it's cooled off a bit since). The influx of Choice Scarf Togedemaru also really sucks, since it means that Primeape's 95 base Speed is no longer the scarfer standard like it used to be. Teams are prepared for similarly fast mons and common U-Turns, and Toge itself is an effectively annoying Primeape check. Oh and Rocky Helmet got real popular which punishes Primeape for spamming U-Turn so much. Finally, the meta trended towards Scarfers that provide a bit more defensive utility like Togedemaru, Kabutops, and even Skuntank. Primeape's far from terrible, but there's not much in the meta that really favors it at the moment, it works on specific builds but it's far from the super splashable, high usage threat that it used to be.
Oh thanks for responding, like I said before Im not that used to the PU metagame and don't know that much about all the mons in the tier so I really should look more into it before I ask questions.
:pikuh:

Is there a chance lilligant might get suspected? find it relatively hard to counter
I am not a council member so I cant tell you if they are considering a suspect test for it atm however I can give you a couple examples of Lilli answers to help your builds.

It's true it depends on what coverage move it is using Lilli can take out certain counters however most blanket scarfers like Dodrio,Scyther and Gunk Shot Primeape are solid for revenge killing Lilligant even If it manages to pull off a Quiver Dance. As for the pokemon that can take its grass stab we do have plenty viable options but this is where its coverage will matter but for example Skuntank (w/o Z-Hyper Beam) SpD Sandslash Alola (w/o HP Fire) and Oricorio-Pom-Pom (w/o Z-Hyper Beam/HP Rock or Ice). There are also more niche options such as Oricorio-Sensu and Bouffalant which are assets on certain builds capable of fitting them, if you find yourself struggling add two lilli answers on that can also fulfill other roles (Pom-Pom=Fighting+Lilli answer,Scarf Ape=Momentum scarfed etc) more answers exist but I dont want to make this too long, if you would like more help feel free to ask in the PU chat.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
I am not a council member so I cant tell you if they are considering a suspect test for it atm however I can give you a couple examples of Lilli answers to help your builds.

It's true it depends on what coverage move it is using Lilli can take out certain counters however most blanket checks scarfers like Dodrio,Scyther and Gunk Shot Primeape are solid for revenge killing Lilligant even I'd it manages to pull off a Quiver Dance. As for the pokemon that can take its grass stab we do have plenty viable options but this is where its coverage will matter but for example Skuntank (w/o Z-Hyper Beam) SpD Sandslash Alola (w/o HP Fire) and Oricorio-Pom-Pom (w/o Z-Hyper Beam/HP Rock or Ice). There are also more niche options such as Oricorio-Sensu and Bouffalant which are assets on certain builds capable of fitting them, more answers exist but I dont want to make this too long, if you would like more help feel free to ask in the PU chat.
What I like to adress is that specially defensive Roselia also can tank any hit of Lilligant, if it is not Z-Hyper beam variants, but even then, Roselia is capable of tanking a +1 Hyper Beam with ease and is able to Sludge Bomb Lilligant with a chance to poison it and lower its chance to stay consistently in the game.
Some Calcs:
+1 252 SpA Lilligant Hidden Power Rock vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 50-59 (16.5 - 19.4%) -- possible 6HKO
+1 252 SpA Lilligant Hyper Beam vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 123-145 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252 SpA Lilligant Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 100-118 (33 - 38.9%) -- 99.2% chance to 3HKO

Other options for checking Lilligant are: Bulky Bellossom, since it can also tank any hits besides Z-Hyper Beam and it is able to switch into a predicted Sleep Powder, which isn't able to put Bellossom to sleep.
Abomasnow can revenge Lilligant after it took prior damage with a strong priority Ice Shard.
Regice is also able to switch hard into Lilligant, when it isn't the Sleep Powder variant and can OHKO it with its STAB Ice Beam up to a 56,3% chance to OHKO it.
Regice has the natural special bulk to tank any move from Lilligant.

Damn, this thread is dead... anyway, what are some recommendations for checks to stealth rock Aggron? Physically defensive Alolan Sandslash? I find Aggron sort of mandates a spinner if you want to keep rocks away, since it usually uses taunt (and most defoggers are pressured anyway). The only spinner I could think of that can deal Aggron and spinblockers is Snowslash, but I'm wondering if there are others I missed.

Reactions: gum

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Any faster Fighting- or Ground-type usually does the trick. Aggron doesn't like Scald users very much either nor does it like switching into hazards itself since it breaks Sturdy.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
Damn, this thread is dead... anyway, what are some recommendations for checks to stealth rock Aggron? Physically defensive Alolan Sandslash? I find Aggron sort of mandates a spinner if you want to keep rocks away, since it usually uses taunt (and most defoggers are pressured anyway). The only spinner I could think of that can deal Aggron and spinblockers is Snowslash, but I'm wondering if there are others I missed.
I'd recommend using Claydol, it can threaten Froslass to a certain extent. While a rather niche pick, Vibrava is also an option.

And btw, Aggron doesn't run Sturdy.

Excuse me for coming back so soon, but is frost breath a viable option on SpD Articuno in order to check cm Oricorio Pom Pom? Are there other options for stall? They usually have taunt, as far as I know, so you can't have a cm war or toxic stall it.

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
Excuse me for coming back so soon, but is frost breath a viable option on SpD Articuno in order to check cm Oricorio Pom Pom? Are there other options for stall? They usually have taunt, as far as I know, so you can't have a cm war or toxic stall it.
yes, it is an option. on stall you could run carbink as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)