Project PU Next Best Thing! (Week 20: Aurorus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Beheeyem @ Buginium Z
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
- Signal Beam

Beheeyem is probably our best OTR sweeper and has been since Eggy left the tier. However, it does struggle with a few pokemon, notably Dark types that aren't weak to bug, those being Spiritomb and Skuntank.
You can always cut your losses against Spiritomb and run HP Ground for Skuntank, but the problem you run into then is not being able to touch opposing Psychic types and virtually every Dark type outside of Skuntank, including Guzzlord.

Buginium gives you the best of both worlds, providing a way to kill Skuntank on the switch:
252+ SpA Analytic Beheeyem Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 316-372 (90.8 - 106.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
vs
252+ SpA Analytic Beheeyem Signal Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 170-201 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It lets you kill Guzzlord (guaranteed after a small amount of chip) without needing an Analytic boost:
252+ SpA Beheeyem Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 60 SpD Guzzlord: 488-576 (83.1 - 98.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Analytic Beheeyem Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 60 SpD Guzzlord: 634-748 (108 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
252+ SpA Analytic Beheeyem Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 60 SpD Guzzlord: 342-404 (58.2 - 68.8%)

And finally, helps you deal with Spiritomb - it's still an issue mind you but you can at least take it out at +2 now.

+2 252+ SpA Beheeyem Savage Spin-Out (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Spiritomb: 305-359 (100.6 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
vs
+2 252+ SpA Beheeyem Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Spiritomb: 164-193 (54.1 - 63.6%)
252+ SpA Analytic Beheeyem Signal Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Spiritomb: 107-127 (35.3 - 41.9%)

Last edited:

Beheeyem @ Psychium Z
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Ally Switch
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

Apparently I'm as bad at this as Beheeyem is at being useful. Hi let's rerun this crap.

Beheeyem sucks outside of TR but thats not why we're here. Z-Ally Switch (you can also use Z-Trick for this. Theyre both useless outside of the stats) gives Speed+2 which contrary to my earlier awful math, does not outspeed Scarf base 95s with 220 Timid. So this one instead opts to outspeed Alolan Persian and base 60 Scarfers like uhh... There arent any, idfk Toucannon I guess (I doublechecked my math this time) and has some more bulk cuz why not. Psychic cuz STAB and Signal Beam because it doesn't get Focus Blast. Dont use it unless youre using TR. Also dont use TR. So dont use Beheeyem. I had some other cute text here last time but i forgot what it was. Its 3am leave me alone. Also i wanna reserve Banded if i can submit multiple sets so someone lemme know about that.​

Recover Beheeyem

Beheeyem @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Signal Beam​

Descripton: With the absence of mesprit, there has become and even greater call for more gurdurr counters to rise to the challenge. However, there still is a lack of viable psychic types to use for this job. This set's job is to act as a wallbreaker and consistent gurdurr answer compressed into one, being the only truly viable psychic type to fill this role (musharna is a bulky setup-sweeper). With Recover, you can occasionally use your free turns to heal off your damage, allowing you to continue acting as a switchin to Gurdurr. With Nasty Plot paired here, you can now set up on passive pokemon relatively easy, almost always netting a free ko.

44+ Atk Gurdurr Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Beheeyem: 142-168 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

tldr; Recover makes Beheeyem a consistent Gurdurr counter as well as lets it take advantage of passive pokemon easier

Katy

Banned deucer.
reserving sub disable

606-Beheeyem.png
Beheeyem @ Leftovers

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Disable

- Signal Beam
- Psyshock

Behind a Substitute Beheeyem can easily Attack or just diasbles the Attack from other Pokémon such as Sucker Punch or Dark Pulse and other
super effective moves like Shadow Ball as the opponent has to break the Substitute first.
Disable can also block recovers / roost for 4 turns so Beheeyem is able to break through phatter mons with this specific set better or can help its teammates to break through those mons easier.
In that process Beheeyem can disable this moveslot and can make it for itself easier against that opposing pokemon or can make it easier for its teammates to get into that pokemon.
It has Modest Nature - as due to Analytic - the power of its Moves are maxed out so it can deal pretty hard damage on the opposing pokémon.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Calm Mind

Fighting check that also functions as a potential win con with Calm Mind. Set can be altered to run Psyshock over Psychic for other Calm Mind users to HP Fire over Calm Mind to 2hko Ferroseed and Alola Sandslash. Speed is for base 50s, max hp, rest in defense pretty straightforward.

Beheeyem @ Leftovers / Colbur Berry / Pecha Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Charge Beam​

Wow, i just noticed the subject changed and you have already posted so many cool sets. :psyduck:
Tbh i used Beheeyem just a few times and without trying anything crazy, so i had to think a bit for this one.
And this is the best i came up with, a double boosting set which combines bulkyness and power. It isn't half bad but some preparation is required because of 2 major weaknesses:

1) Status, if you use lefties or colbur a toxic can be very dangerous because you haven't instant power and you need at least one charge beam(which you use AFTER cosmic power) to do big dmg, for the same reason even a 1-time saver like Lum berry might not be enough, btw Pecha is better so you can take burns and pars. You can even try a chestorest set, adding recycle over psyshock if you dare risking even more.
2) Physical def, before your first boost it isn't that good so you have to be careful when you choose your statup field, if you want to play safe a max hp/def evsing is possible, but that way you need too much time to pile up sp atk, always remember that charge beam has 30% to fail boosting and 10% to miss.
At least colbur berry helps against knock off.

Example: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-942774690

Last edited:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader

Beheeyem @ Leftovers / Psychium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

SubCM Beheeyem is a decent stallbreaker (on paper) as it turns Pokémon like Articuno and Audino as setup fodder. Against more offensive teams, the combination of Substitute and Analytic allows it to kill at least one Pokémon and it makes it significantly harder to revenge kill. Don't use this set. :3

jonago's Choice Specs set

tlenit1's Z-Hyper Beam set

uhuhuhu7's Z-Signal Beam set

Mehdiocre's Z-Ally Switch set

tom h0lland's Recover set

Katy's SubDisable set

TONE's Calm Mind set

Tizio's Cosmic Power + Charge Beam set

...And my submission above!! Thanks to everyone for participating, I really appreciate it. uwu

Voting phase is now up, same rules as always and it should end this Sunday or Monday at latest. Feel free to poke me on Discord / PS! / Smogon if I'm late.

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Voting for uhus Z-Signal Beam set. I had posted in the vr post a spread that I had come up with Evi meant be bulkier and outspeed guzz which is very similar to this. Very interesting options this time around! (:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
With 3 votes, this week's winner is uhuhuhu7 with his Z-Signal Beam set! Congrats!!

This week's subject is...

Aurorus! Aurorus has established itself as a threatening wallbreaker with a limited amount of switchin and a staple on hail teams. It can even support its team and run a Stealth Rock set. However, its large movepool could allow it to potentially run other sets and lure moves. Have fun and good luck!!

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning / Refrigerate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Blizzard / Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Rock

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Rock

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Encore
- Rock Tomb / Earth Power

Same rules as always. Voting phase should begin Saturday, feel free to poke me on PS! if I'm late. Again, have fun and good luck!!​

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Aurorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic/Facade
- Stone Edge
- Return
- Earthquake

CB Aurorus can lure Cryo, Alolan Slash, Andy other normal switch ins and smack them on their weaker physical side with super effective coverage. Adamant power is nice but Jolly outspeeds Lanturn, jolly aggron and so on. Toxic can cripple mons like Jellicent switching in knowing you aren’t freeze dry/special anymore or Facade can give more breaking power.

Last edited:
Reactions: gum

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

Aurorus @ Rockium Z / Groundium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Ancient Power / Rock Polish
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Earth Power

Calm mind aurorus is able to improve its already decent SpA stat, enabling it to obtain the same power levels as a specs set while maintaining the ability to swap moves, and use z-moves. Hyper voice + refrigerate gives you a powerful ice stab, that isn't dependent on hail turns for accuracy, and doesnt give opposing SpDef Alolan Sandslashes the ability to outspeed you. Earth power rounds out the strong Ice + Ground coverage.

Ancient Power when powered up by a Rockium Z turns into a 120 BP rock move, making up for aurorus's lack of strong special rock type moves, and allows you to break articuno, cryogonal and rotom-frost, while giving a strong nuke against other ice resists that earth power cant kill in one hit. Rock Polish + Z-Earth Power is another option, allowing you to boost up your speed to make yourself harder to revenge kill, but leaves you open to the above pokemon that resist ice + ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: gum

Katy

Banned deucer.
reserving thunder wave

Png.png

Aurorus (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Thunder Wave

This is a support Aurorus set with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave. First Move is to get Hazards up and the last Slot is to slow down the opposing team and lure in the checks / counters to Aurorus and threaten them
with slowing them down heavily.
Freeze-Dry and Earth Power are necessary on this Set, as it has a bit of a breaking potential and can hit mons such as Regirock on the switch in.
Thunder Wave espeically can be threatening to Articuno and catch it off guard, same goes to the many fighting type mons. Even tho the fighting type mons
such as Gurdurr might get the Guts boost but they get heavily threatened
by Thunder Wave as it can full para them on a turn they want to use Mach Punch. Also Thunder Wave can surprise Choice Scarfed pokémon as well.
Clefairy especially doesn't like Thunder Wave because it can get full parad on a turn it wants to use to Soft-Boiled the HP up, which makes Clefairy bypassable easier for the rest of Aurorus team.​

Last edited:

sugar ovens

blood inside
is a Top Tiering Contributor
substitute.png

Aurorus @ Leftovers
Ability: Refrigerate / Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Hidden Power [Fire]

An Aurorus set for simple and reliable stallbreaking. Every common Aurorus switchin on stall is a setup bait - and once you are behind Substitute, you are basically untouchable. Freeze-Dry has very good coverage (and is supereffective vs Quag-Pyuku). HP Fighting OHKOes spdef Snowslash at +1 after rocks, or at least guarantees the 2HKO when unboosted, while also hitting Aggron supereffectively. HP Fire is an option to hit Bronzor and Metang supereffectively, while still KOing Snowslash. Timid nature is chosen to outspeed opposing 4x Fighting-weak wallbreakers, Modest Jellicent and everything that creeps them. Refrigerate immediately tells your opponent that something is not right, Snow Warning boosts their Snowslashes.

Shoutouts to gum for the HP Fire

Last edited:

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Ancient Power

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aurorus: 286-338 (73.9 - 87.3%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Aurorus: 384-452 (99.2 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Sandslash-Alola: 264-312 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Aurorus Hidden Power Fighting vs. 252 HP / 208+ SpD Sandslash-Alola: 356-420 (100.5 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hidden Power Fighting allows Aurorus to OHKO opposing Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash, though you do lose to Metang and can't OHKO Probopass (though let's be honest this isn't really relevant as much). You do lose out on some situations - you have to rely more on prediction, e.g. you can't cover both Sandslash-A and Lanturn in a single slot, you're restricted to Ancient Power as your Rock STAB since you can't use two Hidden Power types (and as a result have a harder matchup vs Articuno) but overall it's a very reasonable option if you want a cool lure for opposing Ice types.

Last edited:
Mirror Coat + Focus Sash Aurorus

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Mirror Coat
- Earth Power

Here we have an offensive variant of Aurorus, which can lure and destroy a reckless special attacker thanks to the combination of Mirror Coat + Focus Sash. This is possible thanks to the high HP stat of this dinosaur. The addition of Snow Warning allows Aurorus to break opposite Focus Sashes, Sturdy and can scout for Leftovers.
Keep in mind that we don't have recovery moves, though.

Spe control in every form is appreciated a lot in order to spam regular attacks with more ease.

Last edited:

Super Idiotic Dinosaur

Aurorus @ Flame Orb
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Facade
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rock Polish​

Super idiotic set, but hey, Refrigerated Facade with Flame Orb equals 168 bp stab without any recoil, charge time ecc, if you're lucky this thing turns out crazy. Freeze dry for water types and HP fire for Ferroseed.(2HKO even without evsing spatk)

gum

for the better
PU Leader

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Stone Edge allows Scarf Aurorus to get past Cryogonal while still hitting Hidden Power Rock targets, such as Froslass and Articuno. This doesn't work on the Choice Specs set as Articuno is faster, which means that it can PP Stall Stone Edge thanks to Roost. Anyway, this is a pretty fun lure and partners that appreciate Cryogonal lured in, such as Ludicolo, make for good partner.

Scizorphobic's Choice Band Aurorus

Estarossa's Calm Mind Aurorus

Katy's Thunder Wave Aurorus

Skipkan's SubCM Aurorus

uhuhuhu7's Hidden Power Fighting Aurorus

nameless90's Sash + Mirror Coat Aurorus

Tizio's Flame Orb Aurorus

and my set c:

Thanks to everyone for submitting!! Voting phase is now up, you have until tomorrow to vote for your favourite set, and same rules as always. If ever I'm late, feel free to poke me on Discord / here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)