Project PU Matchmaking! SuMo Hiatus

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
So busy this week... x. Forgot to update this.

And this weeks winner is... aki0s with his Arbok submission! The runner up is Taskr with his Rotom-Frost submission! Congrats to both of them.

This week I was looking for an underrated threat after having a weeks of very common Pokemon, and I found this gem.

Huntail @ White Herb / Wacan Berry
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Beam / Double Edge

Sitting in the B+ rank of the viability rankings, I barely see this mon at all. Despite its low usage, it is a very potent setup sweeper and can be a large threat when provided with the right team support.

What Pokemon will you pair with Huntail? Submissions end Thursday... or maybe Friday, depending on how my papers are going.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Memento
- U-turn

You give Huntail free turns to set up, which is good. You also check Leafeon and Monferno for Huntail to which is also good.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Reserving Bouffalant

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Bouffalant and Huntail have great offensive synergy with each other. Bouffalant is able to switch into Grass types due to Sap Sipper, increasing it's power and it can start setting up with either Substitute or Swords Dance. Huntail is a great lure to bulky Pokemon such as Tangela and Vullaby as it can threaten them with Ice Beam. Huntail can also deal with Ghost-types such as Misdreavus since it doesn't have to worry about Will-o-Wisp at all, though Foul Play is something to worry about; and passive Rock-types such as Solrock to set-up. With those mons down or weakened, Bouffalant does not have to worry about potential walls stopping it from doing its job.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
391.png

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / U-turn

I've used Monferno on every single Huntail team I've made recently (quite a few if you've seen my teams floating around in dump, shop, etc) just because they're so easy to pair together. Both SD and U-Turn variants achieve the same goal of weakening things that take on Huntail and Monkey can also force in Lumineon/Politoed (sometimes) to weaken them and threaten Grasses as a bonus. I slashed SD first because I like the extra breaking, especially for weakening Vullaby for Frustration (aka better) Huntail, but you can also U-Turn on a lot of things that happen to be setup fodder like defensive Pelipper, Solrock, Gabite, w/e. Tpunch is also probably fine if you've looking for Monferno to beat Pelipper/Swanna for Huntail and not the other way around. As for what Huntail does, it can break, threaten or weaken pretty much every notable Monferno check from Pelipper to random scarfers which makes SD a much larger threat and other sets just a bit of a larger threat, and that's really all it needs to do, the merits of running Monferno+anything offensive are obvious in this meta but Huntail is a really cool mon that people should use more of.

oh and LO is best huntail item for sure s/o RawMelon

Last edited:

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Quick Attack
- Toxic

Trapinch traps: problematic electric types so that Huntail can set up easier; Pokemon specifically added to prevent shell-smash sweepers, aka. Sash Kadabra; Bulky things that Huntail can't break very well even at +2, aka. Metang, etc. Trapinch makes Huntail's life a hell'uva lot easier and gives Huntail better opportunity to set up, whilst acting as a solid electric check for Huntail (not for Rotom-F however).

Since it's not Double edge Huntail: water types are still a problem - but c'est la vie - you still have 4 other members.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Simipour_XY.gif

Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Knock Off / Superpower

This looks familiar...but anyway, even at +2 Huntail can have some trouble getting past a few threats such as Lumineon, Politoed, and Specially Defensive Tangela. Because of that, Simipour makes a good partner as Part 1 of a 2 part Water Spam core. This set lures in Lumineon and Politoed and can 2hko both, while also weakening other Water switchins with Knock Off or Superpower. Once the team is properly weakened by Simipour, Huntail can sweep that much cleaner.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Huntail loves the Spike support from Roselia allowing Huntail to KO Gourgeist with +2 Ice Beam. Roslelia can also come in on Prinplup and Lumineon who are good switch ins to Huntail lacking Double-Edge. Lastly Roselia can switch in on the electric types which threaten Huntail like Electrode and to some extent Zebstrika.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
me doing something on time??? what this??? Two votes this week because six submissions!

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Memento
- U-turn

You give Huntail free turns to set up, which is good. You also check Leafeon and Monferno for Huntail to which is also good.
Reserving Bouffalant

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Earthquake

Bouffalant and Huntail have great offensive synergy with each other. Bouffalant is able to switch into Grass types due to Sap Sipper, increasing it's power and it can start setting up with either Substitute or Swords Dance. Huntail is a great lure to bulky Pokemon such as Tangela and Vullaby as it can threaten them with Ice Beam. Huntail can also deal with Ghost-types such as Misdreavus since it doesn't have to worry about Will-o-Wisp at all, though Foul Play is something to worry about; and passive Rock-types such as Solrock to set-up. With those mons down or weakened, Bouffalant does not have to worry about potential walls stopping it from doing its job.
View attachment 72260
Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance / U-turn

I've used Monferno on every single Huntail team I've made recently (quite a few if you've seen my teams floating around in dump, shop, etc) just because they're so easy to pair together. Both SD and U-Turn variants achieve the same goal of weakening things that take on Huntail and Monkey can also force in Lumineon/Politoed (sometimes) to weaken them and threaten Grasses as a bonus. I slashed SD first because I like the extra breaking, especially for weakening Vullaby for Frustration (aka better) Huntail, but you can also U-Turn on a lot of things that happen to be setup fodder like defensive Pelipper, Solrock, Gabite, w/e. Tpunch is also probably fine if you've looking for Monferno to beat Pelipper/Swanna for Huntail and not the other way around. As for what Huntail does, it can break, threaten or weaken pretty much every notable Monferno check from Pelipper to random scarfers which makes SD a much larger threat and other sets just a bit of a larger threat, and that's really all it needs to do, the merits of running Monferno+anything offensive are obvious in this meta but Huntail is a really cool mon that people should use more of.

oh and LO is best huntail item for sure s/o RawMelon

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Quick Attack
- Toxic

Trapinch traps: problematic electric types so that Huntail can set up easier; Pokemon specifically added to prevent shell-smash sweepers, aka. Sash Kadabra; Bulky things that Huntail can't break very well even at +2, aka. Metang, etc. Trapinch makes Huntail's life a hell'uva lot easier and gives Huntail better opportunity to set up, whilst acting as a solid electric check for Huntail (not for Rotom-F however).

Since it's not Double edge Huntail: water types are still a problem - but c'est la vie - you still have 4 other members.
View attachment 72365
Simipour @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Knock Off / Superpower

This looks familiar...but anyway, even at +2 Huntail can have some trouble getting past a few threats such as Lumineon, Politoed, and Specially Defensive Tangela. Because of that, Simipour makes a good partner as Part 1 of a 2 part Water Spam core. This set lures in Lumineon and Politoed and can 2hko both, while also weakening other Water switchins with Knock Off or Superpower. Once the team is properly weakened by Simipour, Huntail can sweep that much cleaner.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Huntail loves the Spike support from Roselia allowing Huntail to KO Gourgeist with +2 Ice Beam. Roslelia can also come in on Prinplup and Lumineon who are good switch ins to Huntail lacking Double-Edge. Lastly Roselia can switch in on the electric types which threaten Huntail like Electrode and to some extent Zebstrika.
Voting ends Sunday!

I vote for Monferno and Jumpluff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)