PU Good Cores

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Offensive/Balanced Core

+

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Dusknoir @ Choice Band
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Monferno is one of the best Mons in the tier right now having great match-ups vs almost all play-styles. Now while being great it does have a a few solid checks and counters namely, Grumpig, Stunfisk, Altaria, Mr.Mime and Kadabra. Not all can switch into to Monferno but Dusknoir can reliably switch in and threaten all of them. Pursuit trapping the psychic types in particular. ice punch easily scores the OHKO on Altaria and Earthquake secures the 2HKO on Stunfisk. Monferno does a great Job putting Holes in teams and eliminating the normal types immune to Dusknoirs STAB priority making clean up with banded Shadow sneak a very viable possibility. i will say you can use this with other Monferno sets but Eviolite Swords Dance is arguably the best set Monferno runs so that's the one i put down.

Great partners for this core include Fast Mons as while it does have great prio on both ends it is still rather slow.
I'm glad you posted this, Shuckle; I was talking about this in chat (and used this core to make a team here for Ranbu), so I can confirm this is a nice core, especially when you're building bulky hazard stack with it. This has great matchup when used against offensive teams that rely on Cryogonal as their spinner, as Monferno often disallows Rapid Spin thanks to its high powered Mach Punch, and Dusknoir serves as a spinblocker while at the same time being able to Pursuit-trap Cryogonal.

Not only does Dusknoir put a huge amount of pressure on Monferno's defensive answers as you mentioned already, but things that threaten Dusknoir (Pawniard, Mightyena, etc.) are handled quite easily by Monferno, so there's a lot of synergy here both in terms of eliminating their checks and counters for each other and in how they function well together on the same team archetype.

I'd recommend Quilladin as a partner, which supplies both Spikes and some counterplay to physical Floatzel for Monferno, as well as Mr. Mime, which works really well once Grumpig has been dispatched (playing with Monferno and doubling to Dusknoir puts a huge amount of pressure on Grumpig to predict correctly and is often just Pursuit-trapped and beaten, letting Mr. Mime or Monferno clean late-game uninhibited).

Last edited:
Balanced Core:

+
+

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Toxic Spikes

I am not quite sure on whether or not someone already posted the Rose + Stun core but I would like to introduce Machoke here. I think that Stunfisk's set speaks on its own as it is already quite known between players who have played the meta for a very long time. I, myself am not one of those players so feel free to correct me on anything you want, or add anything you wish since this is my first post here :] . Physical Stunfisk's job is to spread status on your opponent's team while keeping threats like Dodrio from either touching Rose or Machoke. Stealth Rocks is also a good addition because it creates pressure and keeps your opponent from feeling comfortable between switches throughout the match. In contrary to the normal bulky Machoke, I prefer to run its more speedy variant since Machoke is a good support for this core, I don't like it to be taking damage between switches, or before it gets to revenge kill a Pokemon. I added some EVs in HP for that extra bulk since max speed is not necessarily needed. Roselia has good synergy with Stun and Machoke as they all mutually cover each other's weaknesses rather well. Rose doesn't care about switching in to Gourgeist or not caring about the Will-O-Wisp because of Natural Cure and helping Machoke. Toxic Spikes is a really underrated move as it creates even greater pressure in your opponent's team by chipping extra damage each turn. This is where Machoke comes in. Pokemon like Cryogonal don't really have to worry about switching in to Rapid Spin hazards away. You can bring in Machoke to scare it off with a physical move like Knock Off or Dynamic Punch/Close Combat and make holes in their team without having to worry about Pokemon Like Gourg as mentioned above.

This core has its flaws like every core, you may want to add a Pokemon on your team since psychic types like Colbur Grumpig or Metang may deal massive damage on this core.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the EVs on Rose for defense are for taking physical Floatzel better.

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Balanced Core:

+
+

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Toxic Spikes

I am not quite sure on whether or not someone already posted the Rose + Stun core but I would like to introduce Machoke here. I think that Stunfisk's set speaks on its own as it is already quite known between players who have played the meta for a very long time. I, myself am not one of those players so feel free to correct me on anything you want, or add anything you wish since this is my first post here :] . Physical Stunfisk's job is to spread status on your opponent's team while keeping threats like Dodrio from either touching Rose or Machoke. Stealth Rocks is also a good addition because it creates pressure and keeps your opponent from feeling comfortable between switches throughout the match. In contrary to the normal bulky Machoke, I prefer to run its more speedy variant since Machoke is a good support for this core, I don't like it to be taking damage between switches, or before it gets to revenge kill a Pokemon. I added some EVs in HP for that extra bulk since max speed is not necessarily needed. Roselia has good synergy with Stun and Machoke as they all mutually cover each other's weaknesses rather well. Rose doesn't care about switching in to Gourgeist or not caring about the Will-O-Wisp because of Natural Cure and helping Machoke. Toxic Spikes is a really underrated move as it creates even greater pressure in your opponent's team by chipping extra damage each turn. This is where Machoke comes in. Pokemon like Cryogonal don't really have to worry about switching in to Rapid Spin hazards away. You can bring in Machoke to scare it off with a physical move like Knock Off or Dynamic Punch/Close Combat and makes holes in their team without having to worry about Pokemon Like Gourg as mentioned above.

This core has its flaws like every core, you may want to add a Pokemon on your team for psychic types like Colbur Grumpig or Metang that may deal massive damage on this core.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the EVs on Rose for defense are for taking physical Floatzel better.
Liking the idea here. I feel that one thing that can be changed here is the Machoke set as I feel RestTalk Machoke will help in checking mons such as AV Bouf and Rotom-Frost. while not 100% stoping them between that and toxic spikes i can see this core being very difficult to break when played correctly.

Defensive Core:

+

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

I think that Gourgesit-Super and Camerupt can really work well together, seeing how Gourg can take on Golem without having to worry at all about either of its STAB moves and other rock types that tend to set up their rocks early game. Gourg can also take Pokemon like No Guard Machoke or maybe even Guts Machoke leeching its energy bit by bit with both Will-O-Wisp, Leech Seed and recovering up with Synthesis. If Gourg is played smartly and brought up against CB Stoutland or CB Floatzel at a decent chunk of health it can deal good damage with Foul Play to both of them. On the other hand, Camerupt can take on Rotom-F and fire spam which are things that Gourgeist does not like at all. Since you'll already be dealing burn status by both sides I decided to add Yawn on Camerupt, because predicting potential switches is always good, and this cripples your opponent into making a double switch. This is also good if your opponent switches into something that can threat your team, Yawn helps you gain momentum in the match. Things like LO Floatzel and CB Dodrio are two things that this core does not appreciate, that's why you could add something like
Zebstrika or
CS Raichu to help bring the core more balance.

Edit: I would also like to add that running Colbur on Gourg is not necessarily needed as you can run leftovers too and not receive a lot of damage from Knock Off users like Machoke. However, I do tend to carry colbur in this set for things like Pawniard that can set up a SD and deal massive damage with their STAB Knock Off.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Offensive core:

Arbok @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Monferno @ Eviolite / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz

Ik there have been a lot of Monferno cores lately (usually monf + pursuit) but I'm really liking this due to the sheer offensive presence they provide for each other, not just Arbok luring and severely weakeninh certain Psychic-types like Colbur Grumpig, while also baiting in Stunfisk, but together their nice bulk and ability to boost really troubles any balance team, and their strong priority can really wear down most offensive ones. Usually Arbok wallbreaks a bit and then Monferno cleans, though that depends on the opposing team and their checks to Monferno. There are ofc several variations to this, like LO monf, or Shed Skin Arbok which really screws over stall teams, but it doesn't make a huge difference, I just recomend shuca on arbok to lure fisk and even gabite to an extent. Also its worth noting that Mr Mime is a great partner, as both of these on their own love Healing Wish support, as it allows you to play a little more recklessly early game with them.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Offensive core:

+

Ninjask @ Choice Band / Insect Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash / Swords Dance

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

While I'm not really keen on using Pokemon with a big Stealth Rock weakness like Ninjask, this core has done some good work for me. Normally Ninjask is paired with Pokemon such as Raichu, Zebstrika, and Rotom-F to make VoltTurn cores, but relies on keeping up momentum all the previous Pokemon mentioned bar the latter do struggle with Stunfisk. Ninjask also struggles with Rock and Steel-types such as Golem and Probopass, so it can easily click U-turn and pivot out to Ursaring and safely active its Toxic Orb with wasting a turn to Protect. Not only does Ursaring have the ability to 2HKO most stops to Ninjask and act as a great wallbreaker in general, it also likes Ninjask's ability to wear down faster threats to Ursaring while outspeeding some Choice Scarf users such as Mr. Mime. As stated before, Pokemon such as Raichu, Zebstrika, and Rotom-F can form a VoltTurn core and also bring in Ursaring safely. Hazard removal is also a neccessity to make this core work, so Prinplup, Swanna, and Vullaby are solid examples of making this core work. I mainly use Swords Dance + Insect Plate on Ninjask (even did SD + Baton Pass a few times for Ursaring at the expense of giving up X-Scissor), but Choice Band works just as well though i never click Night Slash.

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Offensive Core
+

Ninetales @ Salac Berry or Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Superpower/Low Kick
- Poison Jab

Ninetails and Fraxure break down each others checks and counters, allowing either one to potentially sweep mid-late game, depending on the opposing team. Sub NP Ninetails just destroys steels and grass types that wall Fraxure while it takes on some water types, grounds and special walls that Nnetails can't beat.

Sub Nasty Plot Ninetails is a cool mon not many people seem to use, favoring Simisear's higher attacking stats, speed and diversity. However, Ninetails overall greater bulk allows to sub up on mons like Audino (as Knock Off doesn't break the sub), take on special attackers like Rotom-F, Mr Mime, Grumpig and Zebstrika and also live priority from stuff such as Monferno, Pawniard and even Basculin (Ninetails has to be at 100% for Basc though, does 95.8% max). The problem is Ninetails is a one time answer to most of these pokes mentioned, which is where Fraxure comes in. The given Fraxure set allows it to outspeed Adamant Pawniard, maximize it's attack and the rest is thrown into HP for bulk. Fraxure is able dent opposing teams which opens up a path for Ninetails, taking care of bulky mons like Stunfisk, Grumpig and Audino once at +2.

The Ninetails set is pretty standard honesty. Substitute and Nasty Plot to set up, Fire Blast as a strong STAB and energy ball for grounf, rock and water types. Lefties give it that passive recovery while the Salac Berry comes in clutch a lot of the time, giving it a +1 speed boost, which allows you to sweep offensive teams that lack priority. Fraxure is running SD to boost it's attack stat to ridiculous levels which allows it to wreck teams with Outrage. You can go either Low Kick or Superpower, but Superpower is preferred as it hits a wider range of pokes that Low Kick can't, like Relicanth (40 BP smh). Poison Jab is there to hit fairies and grass types such as Tangela.

Fraxure-Offensive Calcs
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Relicanth: 320-378 (79.4 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Superpower vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 214-252 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Superpower vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Avalugg: 310-366 (78.8 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 250-295 (66.8 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Stunfisk: 322-379 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Fraxure Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino: 302-356 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Fraxure-Defensive Calcs

252 SpA Life Orb Floatzel Ice Beam vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Fraxure: 221-263 (77 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Fraxure: 219-258 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Chatot Boomburst vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Fraxure: 210-247 (73.1 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Fraxure: 94-112 (32.7 - 39%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Zebstrika Hidden Power Ice vs. 56 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Fraxure: 143-169 (49.8 - 58.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

Ninetails-Offensive Calcs
252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 330-390 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 207-244 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 286-338 (67.7 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 147-173 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swanna: 207-244 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-F: 248-294 (102.9 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ninetails-Defensive Calcs
252 SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 127-150 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mr. Mime Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 123-145 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Grumpig Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales: 127-150 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 136-162 (47.2 - 56.2%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 136-162 (47.2 - 56.2%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Basculin Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 234-276 (81.2 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Quick note, this core works really well on sticky web teams, where Fraxure really shines and Ninetails outspeeds a lot of mons.

Last edited:

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Offensive Core:

+

Simipour @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt

Here's a solid water spam core built around Sub + NP Simipour. The pokemon that stops Simipour for achieving a late game sweep are bulky Water-types such as Politoed and Lumineon which both don't like taking a Freeze-Dry from Lapras though Lapras does hate being poisoned. Opposing Lapras also gives this core problems hence why Thunderbolt is here on Lapras while also doing more damage to Articuno. As for teammates for this core, Metang is a good option is it can switch in on Regice and can weaken Articuno and Cryogonal. Monferno can do the same, it just has to be wary about Articuno.

Offensive Core:

+
+

At first, my initial plan was to build a core based on Ninjask and Scarf Monferno with U-Turn to assist Voltcore. But after thinking, Monferno and Ninjask would struggle against bulky Water Types that can take their hits and cripple/kill with Scald. I decided to add Rotom-F because it assists with the Volt Core and is generally a much better user of scarf than Monferno. Scratching U-Turn on Monferno I think that a Set up Sweeper with Swords Dance with the combination of both of its heavy hitting moves Flare Blitz, and Close Combat can create holes in the opposing team in order for Ninjask to sweep. Ninjask helps with psychic types like Grumpig or Scarf Mime that threaten Monferno, and in return Monferno weakens/kills Rock/Steel types like Probopass that like to wall Ninjask and Rotom-F. Rotom-F besides helping with Water types and Pokemon like Vibrava it helps against flying types like Swanna alleviating the massive Flying weakness the core suffered at first.

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Toxic

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Offensive Core
+

Basculin @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Beam

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Here is an offensive core me and Yosp have been using. You could call it BascSage (can you think of a better Basculin+Simisage name?). Starting with Basculin, it's one of the best offensive water types in PU imo because of it's ability to put in work versus any team or playstyle. Basculin has access to Adaptability and Superpower which allow it to spam water attacks like Waterfall or Aqua Jet and hit normals, steels and ice types with Superpower, something Simisage appreciates. Here is where Nasty Plot Simisage comes in. NP Sage turns it's usual counters like Gourgeist-Super or Tangela into set-up fodder. Once it gets a Nasty Plot off, Simisage can be really hard to stop if you can't outspeed. At +2, Simi's coverage allow it to beat a large range of mons.

BascSage is a really fun core to use that can rip teams apart if played well. Beware that stuff like Articuno, Scarf Dodrio and Ninjask run through this core so adding a steel type like Metang helps the core a lot.

Simisage (aka Sage the Destroyer)
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-F: 265-312 (109.9 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Giga Drain vs. 160 HP / 28 SpD Eviolite Machoke: 253-300 (74.1 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Monferno: 315-370 (117.1 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Stoutland Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Simisage: 352-415 (120.9 - 142.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Eviolite Roselia: 161-190 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Giga Drain vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 242-286 (70.9 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 442-523 (107.8 - 127.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 265-315 (62.7 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 265-312 (77.2 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Bouffalant: 385-455 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regice: 153-182 (50.8 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 380-447 (113.7 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 354-419 (94.6 - 112%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simisage Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 72+ SpD Altaria: 234-276 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Too lazy for Basc calcs

Last edited by a moderator:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Mawile here it's sorta hard to tell where balance is gonna go, but I was really surprised there's no Lumineon cores since it became so splashable so fast, so here's a basic one. They cover each others' main weaknesses, provide both rocks and defog, and check a ton of shit. Obviously doesn't appreciate lapras/normals/NP users/random stuff but it's a pretty nice place to start off a basic balance team albeit with an offensive skew since neither have recovery.
457.gif
323.gif

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn
- Toxic

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Yawn

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Core
This set works as what I believe to be a good offensive core. With the addition of Mawile into PU, it can be used in many ways. Mawile has weaknesses to Fire and Ground. Pokemon such as Camerupt, Heatmor, Simisear, Golem, etc will give it problems. Swanna is here to the rescue. Swanna disposes of said Fire and Ground types that would otherwise shred Mawile to bits. It resists the Fire moves and avoids the Ground moves. In turn, Mawile gets rid of the Rock types and sometimes the Electric types too that Swanna hates! Swanna has Defog for hazard control and Roost for recovery from hazards and LO use.

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Last edited:
Defensive Core:

+

Since I've seen more players running Mawile I decided to create a core with Torkoal. First off, it should be considered that Torkoal similar to Prinplup is really great at performing role compression and this can be advantageous for the player since it gives it the space to add anything else. Let it be said that Torkoal is really weak against special hits and like Camerupt, Torkoal can't touch things like Swanna, since Swanna can come in freely to Defog hazards away as well as do damage with Surf/Scald. Chinchou comes in without having to fear any of its attacks and lets the player gain momentum with Volt Switch or help with Pokemon like NP Simipour without Knock Off and some mono water types. While in return Torkoal helps Chinchou against the majority of grass types. Be it Jumpluff, Simisage, or Leafeon.
However, there is a problem that has to be addressed which are ground types like Golem or a Freeze Dry user like Lapras. This is why it is optional, yet crucial to add a grass type be it
or
. While Chinchou handles Flying types and some Fire types, Torkoal can take on things like Arbok and things like Cryogonal.

As for the set detail, it should be noted that EQ is to hit things like Monferno that otherwise could set up on it if it's running any other moves like Toxic. Also, yawn could be considered too for Pokemon like Gorebyss that like to set up on it. Like all cores have weaknesses one of the biggest weaknesses for this core is Sub-Will-o Rom, as Scald doesn't break its Sub from the first try.

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: White Smoke
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake / Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
hi

Offensive Core

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Low Kick / Superpower

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Naughty Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

Since Fraxure recently dropped on the VR Rankings I decided to post this. So this is a really, really good core. Mixed Mawile literally breaks down nearly every check there is to Fraxure and maintains extremely good synergy overall with it. Most common checks to Fraxure are usually bulky Grasses and fat things / teams in general, which mixed Mawile just slays very well. Some threats include Scarf Mr.Mime, Floatzel, Rotom-F, etc. Pretty simple core overall and follows the usual theme of "offense breaker + balance breaker".

5gen

jumper
Balance Core

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Scald

Arbok @ Black Sludge
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Golem is a go to pokemon for Stealth Rocks and Lumi the same but for hazard removal. Tank Golem is a rocker with both bulk and some offensive presence, while Lumineon provides Defog, a stop to waters and U-Turn. Together the two bring a ton of role compression. Now the two struggle against grass- and fighting-types so Arbok was added. Lumi and Golem's movesets are pretty standard, but the Arbok spread is meant to reach 265 spe (outspeeding any Adamant Monf creepers, looking at you Grumpig) whilst maximizing attack then bulk. All in all this core covers most attackers, however ice-types such as Frostom, Regice and Lapras can trouble it. So you can consider running checks to them like Grumpig or Yache Leafeon.

Balanced Core

Electabuzz (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Quilladin (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Wood Hammer
- Taunt
- Spikes

I showcased this core in my latest RMT here. Electabuzz and Quilladin pairs well with each other as they both are the backbone for bulky offensive inclined teams with their decent bulk and offense presence. They handle a lot of 1v1 matchups the opposing Pokemon would lose. For example, Quilladin stops Roselia and can either kill or set up Spikes which would not only provide Electabuzz support allowing it to make some important KOs, it also puts pressure on the other team to get rid of the hazards and allowing another Pokemon to set up etc. Electbuzz is a reliable switch in to Pokemon that would rely on sleep to get their job done such as Jumpluff who often uses Sleep Powder. For a more pure offensively inclined core similar, Pokemon like Zebstrika, Jumpluff and even Roselia could get the job done thanks to the coverage the Pokemon get and their typings that correpsonds with each other.

Balance Core - Swanchou
+

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

So this is a core that's definitely been seeing a lot of usage lately. These two Pokemon compliment eachother really well for pretty obvious reasons, beginning with the fact that Swanna is 4x weak to Electric-type moves while Chinchou provides an Electric-type immunity and even gains health when hit by one. Because of this, Chinchou a lot of the Pokemon that check Swanna, namely Rotom-F, Zebstrika, and Regice. Additionally, Chinchou provides a slow Volt Switch, allowing Swanna to get in and wallbreak without having to take any damage, and on top of that, Chinchou often lures in Grass-types such as Leafeon and Gourgeist-XL, which Swanna can definitely take advantage of. The core also features recovery on both Pokemon, meaning they do a good job of lasting through the match.

Also I'll get to updating the archive, sorry just been lazy lol.

Offensive Core - whereisyourmarowakswitchinlol?

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bonemerang
- Rock Slide

Ninjask @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Aerial Ace
- Protect

This is a fresh offensive core to hinge your teams around, purely because Marowak has simply no Viable switchins (fuck quilladin or tangela lol), especially at +2. What makes this core extremely potent is how people interpret Ninjask. You can often get away with bluffing a banded ninjask, forcing in the likes of Probopass, Klang and Defensive Mawile alike to comeinto the fray. Whats great is that each Ninjask switchin happens to be fodder for Marowak. We all know the achilles heel for Marowak has been its lack of speed. Its crushing power however has been quite handy for breaking down stall teams.
With SpeedPass from a Ninjask however, Marowak not only gains that speed it previously lacked, but ninjask inherently gives Marowak settup fodder. If you double predicting a baton pass, marowak gets the choice of a free sd or attack behind a sub, essentially forcing someone to have a Marowak check, or die. Its a great benefactor when you know your opponent enjoys balance, it overall limits how redundant Marowak can be in certain matchups because vs offense; maro has the same utilty as a pidgey p much.
Some calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 120+ Def Eviolite Machoke: 360-426 (98.9 - 117%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 418-494 (111.7 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I would also suggest running some flying checks and ice checks alongside these 2 mons, preferably able to break after a speed boost. oh yeah, and be sure to pack quilladin and tangela counters.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
+

Relicanth @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

A nice balance core that covers a decently large portion of the metagame. Camerupt protects Relicanth from Electrics and certain grass types like Gourgeist, and also frees up Stealth Rock from Relicanth. This allows Relicanth run CB freely (or if you want, Rock Polish) and proceed to wallbreak excellently which is one of the main draws of not just using Golem/Metang. Relicanth in turn also protects Camerupt from normal and flying types.

+

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

Leafeon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Leaf Guard
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Synthesis

This one's very obvious but hasn't been posted yet so far for whatever reason. Leafeon wears down all of Stoutland's answers. It knocks the eviolite off of Vullaby and Knocks the lefties off of Gourgeist (it can actually set up and eliminate Gourgeist if you are running Lum like me). Leafeon can actually hard switch on a lot of Stout's answers like Golem and Relicanth and Solrock and proceed to threaten the rest of the team. Stoutland helps to wear down some of Leafeon's checks too, for example 2HKOing a worn down Gourgeist, Pursuiting on Roselia, and doing large chunks of damage to Mawile.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
this isn't the core from my most recent rmt

upload_2016-6-7_18-59-24.png
upload_2016-6-7_18-59-29.png

Astentia (Lapras) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Surf

bluff (Dodrio) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Recently, I've been noticing that a well-played Choice Specs Lapras has little to no switch-ins in this meta. The only things that are not OHKOd or 2HKOd by one of its attacks are Audino and Munchlax. In addition, after Lapras KOs a mon, Fighting-types can come in to revenge kill Lapras.
This means that Dodrio is a perfect partner for Lapras. Dodrio is able to weaken specially bulky Pokemon and Fighting-types which switch into or threaten Lapras, while Lapras weakens Ground- and Rock-types so Dodrio can sweep later in the game.
You can use Choice Band Dodrio if you want, but then this core is even more weak to Electric-types than it already is. Be sure to add a hazard remover and an Electric-type immunity (I paired it with Golem).

Edit: forgot to mention, this is an offensive core.

Last edited:
Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed

Monferno @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave

Its a pretty fun balanced core around two tanks and a powerful attacker. I'm still pretty new to PU but I think that Regice and Tangela are pretty underused in the tier. Tangela can handle most physical attackers not named Monferno/Dodrio pretty well while Regice can take almost any special attack.

Disclaimer: I didn't invent this core, however it hasn't been posted yet...

Mixed Simisear lures & removes the counters / checks to Stoutland. Stoutland sweeps once its checks / counters are gone. A pretty simple offensive core all-in-all. I've found it works best on sand based cores with hippopotas as once Stoutland's checks have been removed it can't be stopped easily.

Hippo can turn Simisear + Stoutland into a scary sand offense team. Scarf Healing wish mime compliments this core well as it allows Simisear or Stoutland to have a second life, adds speed control if you do not opt to go the sand route and helps remove Monferno.

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Stoutland @ Choice Band / Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy / Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Crunch
- Superpower

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Been trying my hand at some PU lately, thought I would post this core I've been using to ladder with. SD BP Mawile + Banded Dodrio is insane. I think bulky SD Mawile is a really cool mon on its own, but when you pass +2 to Banded Dodrio, things just drop. +2 Dodrio can almost guaranteed OHKO stuff like Stunfisk after Rocks with Brave Bird. It 2HKOs literally anything in the tier with one of its coverage moves. I went for Facade because I want it to be able to break walls even if it gets Burnt. It still struggles against fast electrics, so pairing it with a check to those like your own Stunfisk can be useful. I alway wanted to be wary of Monferno because Priority can cut a sweep short, so I paired it with a bulky DD Altaria. If this thing only got U-turn ;__;

EDIT: I got a pretty good replay showcasing this

Mawile @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Return
- Facade

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
419.gif
470.gif

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Naive Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
- Frustration

Leafeon @ Choice Band
Ability: Leaf Guard
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Frustration
- Bullet Seed / Quick Attack / X-Scissor / Aerial Ace / Rock Smash
It almost feels unfair to post two top 5 mons together as an offensive core but right now there's criminally low amounts of offense and Floatzel usage in general in favor of Machoke and Chinchou and all that good stuff so I thought I'd go back in with a nice core that hits pretty much everything stupidly hard. Between them they can do a lot to Machoke/Swanna/Chinchou/Clefairy/Audino/Gourgeist/Stunfisk/Golem/Metang and I've basically listed 90% of the current defensive meta. You'll want to pair with some kind of cleaner on some kind of offensive team and then just let them go ham. Between these two your main defensive annoyances are pretty much just Articuno and Regice and then Machoke if you're not automatically willing to sacrifice one to weaken it for the other (so basically run Grumpig). Really fun way to spam fast offense, very easy to pick up, slap on a team, and use.
don't forget to make leafeon chlorophyll if not bullet seed

Last edited:

Mawile @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough

Seaking @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 112 HP / 200 Atk / 124 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Found this balance/offensive-ish core to work out super well! It features Mawile + Seaking, which blanket checks a lot of threats and covers weakness for each other. Mawile can check so many things - Grasses, Normals, Birds, etc, however it is weak to Fire, Ground and just special attacks in general, and it doesn't like electrics at all (dies to almost every thunderbolt in the tier). This is where Seaking comes in. It can take on those electrics, as well as tank a hit from most special fires and grounds, such as Camerupt. Seaking really dislikes things like Simisage, Leafeon and other grasses, so Mawile is a great partner that can take them on. (btw, you can run lefties on seaking, but idk i just find av gives it a lot more bulk that it would like; choose what you like)

But that's not all. Because this core checks so many things, Mawile finds a lot of opportunities to not only set up stealth rocks, it also finds ample time to swords dance and/or baton pass into a mon of your choice, giving you sooo much momentum. Using this core with a fast and powerful Water type such as Floatzel or Basculin means those water types are protected from electrics (cuz seaking) as well as grasses (cuz mawile) whilst it sweeps or punches holes in the opposing team.

Here's some replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-399294876
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-398603238
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-398860389

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)