PU Good Cores

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've been using a new balance core in this Stoutland-dominated meta that I find to be pretty effective.

+

First, I've been using defensive Tangela on a lot of my teams to eat up hits from CB Scrappy Stoutland especially. Using Defensive Tangela also has the benefit of stopping Shell Smash Barbaracle and Shell Smash Carracosta cold (except for the rarely seen Shell Smash + Ice Beam variant of Carracosta). At this point, this opens up the way to use Rain Dance LO Poliwrath because you no longer have to run Water Absorb on Poliwrath given Tangela is already a perfect stop to common Shell Smashers. They have nice defensive synergy together, with Tangela resisting Grass / Electric hits for Poliwrath, and Tangela resisting Bug / Fire / Ice hits for Poliwrath. And, if you need to keep Tangela's Eviolite, offensive Poliwrath still makes a decent switch-in into Pawniard despite its greater emphasis on Speed rather than HP.

While you’ve probably already noticed this core is not standalone because it’s weak to Flying (e.g.: Swanna, Dodrio, Jumpluff before Rain is set), high SpA Mons with great type coverage (e.g.: Kadabra, Mr. Mime, Zebstrika), fat mons that have SE coverage and don’t die in 1 hit (e.g. Grumpig), this is still a great starting point in teambuilding to handle the meta’s most offensive physical threats, like Pawniard, Sawsbuck, Carracosta, Barbaracle, and Stoutland to list a few.

In terms of EVs and IVs, I have Tangela running a small amount of Speed to finish off RestTalk Poliwrath before it can Rest and switch out, as well as Adamant 252 Spe Carracosta by 1 point (this is optional, so full Def is fine). On Poliwrath, I lowered its HP IV in order to reduce the recoil it takes from Life Orb. Tangela can also run a Hidden Power over Knock Off, but I found crippling Roselia switch-ins to be especially useful in this specific combination. Knock Off Tangela for Roselia switch-ins comes to me via a smart recommendation from gasquakee.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stun Spore / Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off / Hidden Power Ice
- Synthesis

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

I have a second offensive core that is especially potent now, considering the different types of defensive cores like SpDef Clefairy and Def Tangela that I've been seeing lately.

+

These guys have nice defensive synergy, with Pawniard resisting Flying / Ice / Poison for Simisage and Simisage resisting Ground for Pawniard. Compared to that though, the way they work together in the meta to break certain defensive cores is the reason to use these two in combination. Simisage is able to take on many Pawniard checks and counters, like Poliwrath (bulky special and physically defensive), defensive Carracosta, defensive Stunfisk, and standard Piloswine among others. After these answers to Pawniard are removed by Simisage's STAB LO Leaf Storm, Pawniard is free to wreak havoc. In return, Pawniard can take on non HP-Fighting / non Powder variants of Roselia by resisting Giga Drain and being immune to Sludge Bomb for Simisage. Here are some calcs that show you how Simisage can open up the way for Pawniard:
OHKO on standard Piloswine:
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 359-424 (89 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 359-424 (89 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

OHKO on defensive Carracosta:
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 760-901 (215.9 - 255.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OHKO on Resttalk Poliwrath:
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 393-463 (102.3 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OHKO on Special Poliwrath (Seed Bomb barely misses the OHKO):
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Poliwrath: 393-463 (106.5 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

OHKO on Stunfisk after Rocks:
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Stunfisk: 361-429 (85.5 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Simisage and Pawniard are also cool because they form a Knock Off core together and dismantle many of the NFEs that form potent defensive backbones which keep many teams alive.

As far as the EVs /IVs / Nature / Movesets for these two goes, Simisage MUST run Leaf Storm to do this for Pawniard, and it should run Naive over Hasty in order to take Piloswine's Ice Shard better (takes 8% less). Simisage also takes a lowered HP IV to reduce LO recoil, like RD Poliwrath does above. Pawn is standard and doesn't need to be explained.

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Superpower

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to post a really cool Offensive Core I've been trying out a bit:
+

Floatzel and Zebstrika are two of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame, and can take on each other's walls pretty well, Zebstrika taking on Water-types, and Floatzel taking on Ground-types. They also both provide momentum, Zebstrika using Volt Switch, and Floatzel using Baton Pass. I opted for Zebstrika over Raichu due to its ability, as well as having Overheat to help take on Roselia. With this core, I decided to run an interesting set on Floatzel with Mystic Water, and the moves Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Taunt, and Baton Pass. While this could just as easily be changed, Floatzel forces more switches with Taunt, and then can proceed to switch out using Baton Pass instead of relying on predictions.

Floatzel @ Mystic Water
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt / Hidden Power [Electric]
- Baton Pass / Hidden Power [Electric]

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gonna post an offensive core of my own.

+
or

The idea behind this Normal Spam core is to break down physical walls with Stoutland while Sawsbuck or Dodrio comes in and picks off faster, frailer threats that it can outspeed thanks to Choice Scarf. These Pokemon complement each other in the sense that Sawsbuck or Dodrio can pick off faster threats to Stoutland as it is worn down quick as it isn't the fastest Pokemon in the tier, while Stoutland gets rid of Ghost-types which wall Sawsbuck and use Superpower to wear down opposing Rock-types for Dodrio and can absorb Will-O-Wisps for either if need be and hit back with STAB Facade. Do keep in mind that depending on the second Pokemon, this core can be handled by defensive Tangela and other bulky Grass-types in Stoutland + Sawsbuck's case, while Rock-types can trouble Stoutland + Dodrio so having something for them is crucial for this core to work.

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper / Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Baton Pass

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Gonna post an offensive core of my own.

+

The idea behind this Normal Spam core is to break down physical walls with Stoutland while Sawsbuck comes in and picks off faster, frailer threats that it can outspeed thanks to Choice Scarf. These two complement each other in the sense that Sawsbuck can pick off faster threats to Stoutland as it is worn down quick as it isn't the fastest Pokemon in the tier, while Stoutland gets rid of Ghost-types which wall Sawsbuck and can absorb Will-O-Wisps if need be and hit back with STAB Facade. Do keep in mind that this core can be handled by defensive Tangela and other bulky Grass-types, so having something for them is crucial for this core to work.

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper / Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Baton Pass

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit
Did you ever try using Dodrio over Sawsbuck? I used that core against scorpdestroyer in Week 2 of PUPL, and I felt like Dodrio was just better because it doesn't stack Fighting-type weakness, and has more kill potential on Pokemon such as Tangela, which is a pain for Stoutland, even with Choice Scarf, because of Flying-type, but also because of access to Knock Off which hinders its bulk and can cripples other foes in general too. Dodrio has access to Baton Pass too, so you won't miss out momentum, though Stealth Rock weakness can be annoying at times.

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Did you ever try using Dodrio over Sawsbuck? I used that core against scorpdestroyer in Week 2 of PUPL, and I felt like Dodrio was just better because it doesn't stack Fighting-type weakness, and has more kill potential on Pokemon such as Tangela, which is a pain for Stoutland, even with Choice Scarf, because of Flying-type, but also because of access to Knock Off which hinders its bulk and can cripples other foes in general too. Dodrio has access to Baton Pass too, so you won't miss out momentum, though Stealth Rock weakness can be annoying at times.
Yeah Dodrio can work over Sawsbuck as well as it handle Grass-types and can Knock Off Tangela's Eviolite and the like, though it struggles with Rock-types. Either or works just fine, I'll just update the core.

Balanced Core:
Pawniard+Misdreavus+Carracosta
Pawniard+Misdreavus is an good balanced core, since they cover they weakness almost perfectly, but, it is still weak to fire. So we add carracosta, to take advantage of the capacity of spin/defog block. Pawniard can also Pursuit Roselia, and it will back to field with only 50% of HP.
misdreavus.jpg
Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 52 SpA / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
Those evs allow it to outspeed Adamant flareon, guarantee OHKO on Pawniard, take less damage from sr and have some nice physical bulk. HP fighting covers my weak to probopass
pawniard.jpg

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
This thing dont care about crunches and shadow balls, it only need to be careful against knock offs, and really like defog. This covers all weaks from misdreavus and get almost completly covered by misdreavus.

250px-565Carracosta.png
Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Aqua Jet
- Toxic
This thing protects me from knock off, fire blasts and put an irremovable sr. This also forms an great sinergy with Misdreavus.

Balanced Core:
Pawniard+Misdreavus+Carracosta
Pawniard+Misdreavus is an good balanced core, since they cover they weakness almost perfectly, but, it is still weak to fire. So we add carracosta, to take advantage of the capacity of spin/defog block. Pawniard can also Pursuit Roselia, and it will back to field with only 50% of HP.
View attachment 45926
Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 52 SpA / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
Those evs allow it to outspeed Adamant flareon, guarantee OHKO on Pawniard, take less damage from sr and have some nice physical bulk. HP fighting covers my weak to probopass
View attachment 45927

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
This thing dont care about crunches and shadow balls, it only need to be careful against knock offs, and really like defog. This covers all weaks from misdreavus and get almost completly covered by misdreavus.

View attachment 45928
Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Aqua Jet
- Toxic
This thing protects me from knock off, fire blasts and put an irremovable sr. This also forms an great sinergy with Misdreavus.
I thought about adding this but to be honest, I don't really think it's needed considering there's a core almost exactly like it here and I don't think Carracosta is that necessary to the core, so I decided not to add it. Sorry :/

I thought about adding this but to be honest, I don't really think it's needed considering there's a core almost exactly like it here and I don't think Carracosta is that necessary to the core, so I decided not to add it. Sorry :/
The original core that I thinked was just Missy+Pawn, feel free to remove it.

This is a simple, yet effective balanced core that I've been using to great success.

+

In this Stout-centric meta defensive Tangela has once again rose to fame, since its one of the few mons that can reliably take a hit and immediately scare Stout out by threatening a status move like Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. This opens up easy opportunities to not only get free switch-ins into Roselia but also to double into Rose for free momentum. The rarer, defensive costa and also switches into stout pretty easily and rose handles that as well.
In addition to this Stoutland can trap Grumpig for Roselia as well
Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Last edited by a moderator:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

This is a really fun core. In a nutshell, Girafarig tends to draw in Dark-types such as Pawniard and Poliwrath walls them pretty easily, allowing you to pass the Nasty Plot to KELDEO ON STEROIDS and sweep. Girafarig also beats Roselia and most fat Ghost-types such as Misdreavus for Poliwrath.
Girafarig @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice / Substitute

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

RIP Fraxure + Arbok, use Shuce Berry tho xd

Also maybe you could add all cores in the Core Analysis Workshop™ because at the end of the day this is a resource thread and it should be as complete as possible :0

Last edited:
Ok I've completely updated the op by getting rid of Togetic (rip ;_;), adding suggested cores I felt were worthy for the op, and implementing cores from the Core Analysis Workshop. Enjoy!

+

Vanilluxe @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Torterra @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

This is a fun core I've been using lately that features the very unprepared for threat Vanilluxe. Paired along with RP Torterra there aren't many 'mons that this core can't threaten or flat out beat. The ideal situation is to already have Torterra in and as the opponent attempts to revenge kill you with maybe an Ice Shard from Pilo or an HP Ice, Giga Drain, Knock Off, etc from a Tangela you get a switch into Vanilluxe that they now have to handle. Since this is an offensive core Luxe+Tort doesn't offer much typing synergy (both ridiculously weak to fire obviously) and Vanilluxe doesn't like hazards so the proper support is necessary.

RIP TORT

Last edited:

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
+
/

Interesting core, I didn't really came up with it as galbia was mainly the one that hyped it along with Life Orb Kadabra, but I managed to build a team around it and I'm having fun digging it in roomtours and casual battles so posting the main core here. This core's main member is Kadabra, which is also the major source of damage of most teams, thanks to its access to Life Orb and high base Special Attack, which allow it to burst through balanced and offensive teams if it finds space to fire moves. Though, without Focus Sash it can be an easy target for a well played Pawniard or most priorities, so Grumpig or Dusknoir get added mainly as Pawniard lures because of Colbur Berry and as a sort of backbone. The core works well with Pokemon that can provide momentum to Kadabra and allow it to find space to force switches and get KOs, while revengekillers that are able to deal with faster threats and cleaners that appreciate the damage input from Kadabra are also appreciated along with other Pokemon that struggle against Pawniard and appreciate carrying a lure.
Kadabra @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Encore / Substitute

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Dusknoir @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Pursuit

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Lol, like more than half of what I've contributed to this thread got destroyed by this most recent tier shift ;_;. But, I've got a defensive core consisting of Vullaby and Piloswine for you guys this time.

+

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear / Freeze-Dry

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Foul Play

This core should be fairly obvious, but you can use this core on bulky offense or balance teams in order to both set Stealth Rock with Piloswine and remove hazards on your side with Vullaby. Vullaby beats a lot of physical threats 1 on 1 that would normally scare out Piloswine (like Stoutland, Leafeon/Sawsbuck, Rapidash if Pilo is low, etc.), while Piloswine can act as a dedicated switch-in to offensive electrics that would otherwise beat Vullaby, like standard Zebstrika and Scarf Raichu especially (NP LO is a different story for Raichu though). In terms of type synergy, Piloswine is immune to Electric for Vullaby, while in return Vullaby resists Grass for Piloswine.

I've also noticed that Memento Jumpluff has been picking up some steam lately, which is why I'm running Whirlwind over U-turn, Toxic or another Attack on Vullaby. All you have to do is switch Vullaby into Jumpluff (and either take on the offensive variant with Foul Play, or eat the Memento), and then Whirlwind on the next turn as something like Barbaracle wastes its White Herb, Linoone wastes its Sitrus Berry, etc.

Vullaby and Piloswine synergize especially well with Pokemon that appreciate SR on your side gone, Jumpluff being taken care of and fast electrics like Zebstrika / Scarf Raichu being beaten by 100 SpDef 'Swine. I chose to run 100 SpDef EVs on Piloswine here so that it can avoid OHKOs and 2HKOs from certain specially based threats:
Survives 2 Flash Cannons from 252+ SpA Probopass:
252+ SpA Probopass Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 200-236 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
vs
252+ SpA Probopass Flash Cannon vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 174-206 (43.1 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO

Survives 2 Focus Blasts from Choice Scarf Raichu (1 on the switch, 1 after Piloswine has been in for 1 turn):
252 SpA Raichu Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 204-240 (50.6 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
vs
252 SpA Raichu Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 178-210 (44.1 - 52.1%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO

Survives LO Simipour's Hydro Pump:
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 385-455 (95.5 - 112.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
vs
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 335-398 (83.1 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Survives Mixed LO Simisage's Leaf Storm:
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 359-424 (89 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
vs
4 SpA Life Orb Simisage Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 312-369 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lastly, it should be noted that this core is bothered a lot by offensive Knock Off cores because both Vullaby and Piloswine lose their Eviolites otherwise, and so some kind of Knock Off sponge should be added if this defensive core is used.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
I've got two more offensive cores (though, I imagine the first core won't be around for too long, given Barbaracle/Carracosta may be banned without Poliwrath in the tier). Both are based around Memento and allowing powerful setup sweepers to clean or punch holes in other teams.

+

Barbaracle @ Wacan Berry / White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Stone Edge
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Sleep Powder
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

The way this core works is simple; once opposing Tangela have been worn down about half way, you can use Jumpluff's Memento on whatever you need (as long as the opposing mon lacks a phazing move), which then allows you to bring your Barbaracle in on a -2 Atk / -2 Spatk mon for free. As they switch out (presumably), you're able to get off a Shell Smash and go for the win from there. Before using Memento, putting a Pokemon to sleep with Jumpluff is also a fine way to create some breathing room so that Barbaracle can setup successfully. Jolly +2 252 Atk Barbaracle does about 52-61% to Max Defense Tangela with Poison Jab, so it needs prior damage for this to work.

+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 174-206 (52 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Breaking past counters aside, these two have excellent type synergy together: Barbaracle resists Ice, Fire, Flying, and Poison for Jumpluff, while in return, Jumpluff is immune to Ground, and resists Fighting and Grass for Barbaracle.

I'm using a Wacan Berry on Barbaracle to take a Thunderbolt from Scarf Raichu (which outspeeds +2 252 Spe Jolly Barbaracle at 525 Speed) so that I can't be revenged, but White Herb is also a perfectly fine choice.

252 SpA Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Barbaracle: 130-154 (45.6 - 54%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO

+

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Memento
- Taunt

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab
- Superpower

In the same way that Jumpluff creates setup opportunities for Barbaracle, Misdreavus also uses Memento so that Fraxure has a much easier time setting up. While Fraxure's Eviolite-boosted bulk often does the trick, it's pretty helpful in my opinion to give Fraxure the extra push it needs to setup a few Dragon Dances.

This core focuses on beating other leads (if you're wondering about the Speed EVs on Misdreavus, they're for outspeeding positive nature 252 Spe base 58s (236 Speed) and lower - more Speed can be ran to burn Mightyena before it Crunches and gains Moxie), while paying special attention to disabling Piloswine for the rest of the match with Will-O-Wisp.

The best time to lay the foundations for a Fraxure sweep with Misdreavus' Memento would be after bulky Grass types like Tangela/Gourgeist-Super, Fairies like Clefairy and Mr. Mime, and walls like Avalugg that can OHKO Fraxure have been weakened or removed altogether. Coincidentally, Misdreavus can take a hit from Mr. Mime and severely wound it with a STAB Shadow Ball so that Fraxure can sweep unhindered with Outrage.

Good partners to this core include things like Simipour, Arbok, and Probopass for their abilities to set hazards and trap Steels, while beating Fairies for Fraxure and 2HKOing Piloswine with its 252+ SpA Flash Cannon + Air Balloon set (Probopass), to OHKO standard Piloswine with its LO Hydro Pump, while scaring out Tangela/Gourgeist-Super with its Ice Beam (Simipour), and to overload opposing Piloswine by chipping away at it with Aqua Tail every time it switches in to counter, while easily beating Tangela and Clefairy for Fraxure (Arbok).

Last edited:

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
Not meaning to double post, but here's a defensive core (or balanced, depending on whether Roselia is EV'd offensively or not) for you:

+

This core is very similar to the defensive core I posted back in early January of Costa + Roselia (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/good-cores.3527291/), but there are some distinguishing factors that prevent Roselia + Solrock from being a redundant addition to this thread.

Solrock protects Roselia from physical attackers that either OHKO Roselia, or use it as setup fodder: Intimidate Arbok is hit SE by Zen Headbutt / is crippled by WoW, Stoutland is forced to choose between hitting Solrock with coverage or using Facade and is therefore handled easily, Rapidash and Flareon are forced out, otherwise they take heavy recoil, Machoke gets in a Knock Off, but is wounded by Zen Headbutt, Dodrio takes heavy recoil as you switch in Rocky Helmet Solrock into a Brave Bird (especially if Dodrio is running LO over CB for the ability to switch between priority and dual STAB), etc. While Piloswine is outsped by Roselia in most cases and can be taken down with Giga Drain or even Leaf Storm, Piloswine is also hard countered by Solrock, making it a nice addition to any team that might be Ground weak.

In return for resisting Fire / Poison / Flying / Psychic attacks (mostly on the physical side) for Roselia, Roselia checks or counters most Water / Grass types for Solrock. Pokemon like Tangela, Special Floatzel (lacking Switcheroo), Politoed, Simipour lacking Knock Off, Clefairy if you're running more SpA, etc. are all easily beaten by Roselia so that Solrock can continue to do its thing. 4 Spe EVs are used here to outspeed Pelipper by one point, allowing you to finish off a weakened one or put it to Sleep before it Roosts / Defogs.

The most attractive feature of this core is being able to lay both Spikes and SR consistently over the course of a match via Synthesis and Morning Sun, respectively. With Spikes and SR wearing down the opposing team, this opens up the way for powerful cleaners to finish off the team, like Zebstrika or even Moxie Mightyena.

Some prominent threats to the core: RestTalk Shift Gear Klang, Standard/NP Misdreavus, NP Ninetales, Swanna, mixed Simipour, mixed Simisage, Duosion, Mightyena, RP Regice, Taunt/Spikes Quilladin.

Some helpful partners to the core:
Zebstrika, for its ability to check and OHKO Swanna / Simipour / Simisage;
Rapidash, for checking Ice types and acting as an Ice resist, easily switching into Misdreavus' Will-O-Wisp, OHKOing Klang / Simipour / Simisage / Regice, checking Ninetales after SR with LO Drill Run, forcing Quilladin out;
Machoke, for absorbing Knock Offs for Solrock + Roselia, providing much needed resistances to Bug / Dark / Steel, taking Misdreavus' WoW and activating Guts, beating Klang, etc.;
Mightyena, for its ability to take advantage of Spikes / SR, resisting Ghost / Dark for Solrock, etc.

As a sidenote, Texas Cloverleaf used Rocky Helmet a long time ago on physically bulky, fully evolved SR users like Costa (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...y-will-be-deleted.3522046/page-5#post-5993158), but Detect Marowak should be credited with the addition of Rocky Helmet to Solrock specifically.

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

Solrock @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Zen Headbutt

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can't believe nobody has posted this (balance I guess):

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Spikes

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard

Not only does the core has decent type synergy, roselia resists water, grass, and fighting, and piloswine resists ice, but they also both provide entry hazard support. However, the biggest reason why I love this, is because roselia and piloswine are the tankiest mons in the tier. This core is so easy to place on pretty much any bulky offensive team (or even regular offensive) and you basically check the metagame. Although this isn't perfect, as very strong wallbreakers like stoutland can run through, but those mons are not too problematic for offense, whereas the ones that are, like floatzel/zebby/most scarfers can be stopped. It can make teambuilding almost effortless as the two latest teams i have made were two offensive mons + these two + two fillers to cover weaknesses.

Here I have got an offensive core consisting of Stoutland and Mightyena:
+

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Frustration

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Iron Tail
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

The concept is simple, Stoutland is a powerful wallbreaker that can break down most of the physical walls in the tier that Mightyena really hates. Examples of this include Pelipper, Machoke and Piloswine who are 2HKO'd by Frustration, Avalugg is 2HKO'd by Superpower after Stealth Rock or Spike damage, Stunfisk and Torkoal who is also 2HKO'd after Stealth Rock. Gourgeist-S and Defensive Carracosta barely avoid the 2HKO but are heavily damaged by Frustration and Superpower respectively, this can often lead to easy Moxie boosts and help Mightyena clean up.
Defensive Tangela is the main thing that annoys this core because it can eat up any one of Stoutland's hits and cripple it and regenerate its health so adding something like Roserade or Ninetales can be helpful. Whilst Stoutland loves breaking down defensive teams, Mightyena can knock out faster offensive threats that annoy Stoutland. After Stealth Rock Sucker Punch OHKO's things like Raichu, LO Kadabra and Scarf Mime. Last thing I want to mention is that both pokemon are weak to fighting so having a good fighting resist helps out a lot.

Last edited:
Defensive/Balanced Core:

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Grumpig @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

Here’s a balanced/defensive core that I’m loving in this meta to check the many big threats lurking around. With normal spam being pretty relevant I wanted a core to check these threats reliably, but still able to easily handle the other offensive powerhouses in PU. In this core, Def Tangela and SpDef Stunfisk are the primary defensive backbone of the core easily handling scary threats such as Dodrio, Stoutland, Kadabra, Mr. Mime, Zebstrika, Raichu, Mightyena, Machoke, Sawsbuck, Linoone etc.

Grumpig nicely handles many of the weaknesses that Tang and Fisk can’t handle such as Regice, Roselia, CM Clef and uses these as set up bait. The EVs are to outspeed Stout and Arbok, while maximizing power and bulk. Grumpig however is replaceable if your team can handle whatever threatens Fisk+Tang.

Like all cores (especially in PU) this core definitely has its flaws as it can struggle to beat Knock Off Simipour, some Floatzel variants, Duosion, and others so build accordingly so that these aren’t too troublesome.

Last edited:
Added all of the previous cores, now posting one of my own.

Here's an offensive core featuring Pelipper and Stoutland/
+

Pelipper @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Roost
- Tailwind

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Superpower
- Pursuit

So the basic premise of this core was to set up Tailwind with offensive Life Orb Pelipper, allowing a slow breaker in Stoutland to come in and pick up a few kills. If you want a better description of Pelipper's set, check here. After Pelipper has been knocked out or Stoutland finds an opportunity to switch in, it can proceed to pick up a few kills with its high speed along with its huge Attack stat and its extremely spammable STAB moves. Pelipper is also able to take on the more common Pokemon that can counter Stoutland, such as Tangela and Solrock.

Offensive core featuring Regice and Fraxure.

Regice @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Rock Polish

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt/Low kick
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

This is an effective sweeper core that I've been using lately that handles most of the meta quite well. Regice has great coverage and at +2 speed outpaces a majority of the unboosted and unscarfed meta. With BoltBeam combo and access to Focus "miss", Regice has near perfect coverage and pressures many of the defensive stops to DD Fraxure, such as defensive Tangela, Avalugg,and Piloswine. With the fighting coverage Regice provides, Fraxure can afford to run Taunt over low kick, which prevents status/encore that would otherwise limit a sweep. Regice also pressures teams that rely on Kadabra's focus sash to stop a variety of set-up sweepers, allowing Fraxure to sweep with more ease.

Hard hitting physical attackers that naturally outspeed, such as Stoutland and Dodrio, threaten this core heavily. Mightyena and Machoke are also problematic to this core as Mightyena can OHKO Regice after rocks, and it's STAB priority Sucker Punch can take out a weakened Fraxure. Machoke's ability to tank any one hit and then deal massive damage to either member of the core is also something to keep in mind.

Scarf Mr.Mime is a likely partner for this core, serving the role of a decent revenge killer with access to healing-wish support, giving new life to a sweep if the initial attempt fails.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)