All Gens Project - RoA Victim of the Week | Week 2 | Gen 6 | Starmie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Triangles for winning week 2 of VotW with his Choice Scarf Salazzle submission. Check the Hall of Fame and leaderboards as it will be updated.

Moving on to the third VotW....

Hitmontop:
Hitmontop @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Checks and Counters
Psychic-type Pokemon: Psychic-type Pokemon such as Xatu and Slowking resist Close Combat and threaten Hitmontop with powerful STAB moves. Xatu and Sigilyph are effectively immune to Toxic, meaning that they completely wall Hitmontop.
Flying-type Pokemon: Flying-type Pokemon are some of the biggest thorns in Hitmontop's side. Golbat is the most notable check because it is immune to Toxic and retaliates with Brave Bird. Vivillon can put Hitmontop to sleep with Sleep Powder and then can set up with Quiver Dance against it. While Braviary is not a direct switch-in to Close Combat, it does reliably KO Hitmontop with Brave Bird and can stall Close Combat out with Substitute.
Fairy-type Pokemon: Fairy-types such as Comfey and Whimsicott resist Close Combat and threaten Hitmontop with powerful STAB attacks. Mega Audino doesn't resist Close Combat, but it still threatens Hitmontop with Dazzling Gleam and can shrug off Toxic with Heal Bell.
Poison-type Pokemon: Pokemon such as Vileplume, Garbodor, and Golbat resist Hitmontop's Fighting STAB attacks and are immune to Toxic, which gives Hitmontop more trouble because it cannot do much damage to them.
Residual Damage: Hitmontop lacks reliable recovery, so Toxic poison and burns wear it down incredibly quickly. Hitmontop also hates Toxic Spikes from Garbodor, as it has to switch in in order to remove them, leaving it poisoned.

Nominating Claydol as a counter:

ALWAYS BRING A SPINNER (Claydol) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Psybeam
- Teleport
- Rock Smash

Moveset is pretty simple. Psychic so you can chip stuff like Hitmontop and also Psybeam if Psychic runs out of PP. This Claydol can also teleport to Hitmontop's back.
Rock Smash becase I couldn't find the Move Deleter's house in-game :(

Relevant calcs:
252+ SpA Claydol Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 384-452 (126.3 - 148.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Hitmontop Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Claydol: 59-70 (18.2 - 21.6%) -- possible 5HKO
0 Atk Hitmontop Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Claydol: 33-39 (10.2 - 12%) -- possible 9HKO

Attachments

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Assume sand is set up. This will check Hitmontop and 80% of other mons posted on this thread for future reference.

Aron (Level 1) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endeavor
- Protect
- Toxic
- Hidden Power Rock

Relevant calcs:
0 Atk Hitmontop Rapid Spin vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aron: 115-136 (958.3 - 1133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Counter: Xatu
zatu.png

Xatu @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 69 SpA
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Sky Attack
- Thief
- Magic Room

I nominate Xatu to counter Hitmontop
I made this choice because I saw that Hitmontop had access to the move foresight. I thought to myself, "whats better than foresight?....hindsight". Xatu has the superior ability to see into both the future and the past. This makes it an excellent counter to Hitmontop as it can predict stone edges and dodge them.

For the item, I've chosen eject button in case of an emergency.
The EVs are fairly modest. I have decided not to use all of my 508 EVs on 1 pokemon, as that would be farcical.

The moves I have chosen give Xatu great dexterity. I chose magic room in case I dont want to get switched out if I get hit. Thief is there in the case of me seeing an item that my opponent has that I prefer.
Finally I chose Sky Attack and Future Sight so I can do immediate damage to Hitmontop if I need to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)