All Gens Project - RoA Victim of the Week | Week 2 | Gen 6 | Starmie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Hclat for winning Round 1!
Round 2:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Deadline is (3 / 24 / 19)
Have fun everyone :toast:!

Counter:

The Prickler(Cacturne) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Water Absorb
Happiness: 0
EVs: 135 HP / 34 Atk / 237 Def / 11 SpA / 41 SpD / 50 Spe
Quirky Nature
- Smelling Salts
- Block
- Body Slam
- Needle Arm

This Cacturne will always beat Starmie in a 1v1 fight. Because of Water Absorb and dark typing, you will be completely unaffected by both Scald and Psyshock. First, you block it so it can't switch out. Then, you proceed to Body Slam it and try to paralyze it. Once it's paralyzed, you can use Needle Arm to get a super effective hit and threaten it constantly with flinches. And finally, once it's low enough, Smelling Salts will be very powerful, and will finish the Starmie off in epic fashion. The great thing about this set is that you can prevent Starmie's Natural Cure from working, so Smelling Salts will be more consistent. I like Air Balloon because I wanted the Cacturne to float. The EVs didn't matter too much because this Cacturne is so good at beating Starmie, so I just chose some of my favorite numbers.

Relevant calcs:
34 Atk Cacturne Needle Arm vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 174-206 (53.7 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
34 Atk Cacturne Smelling Salts (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 115-136 (35.4 - 41.9%) -- 86.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Starmie Scald vs. Water Absorb Cacturne: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
Starmie Psyshock vs. Cacturne: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time

Alternate moves:

You can use moves like Poison Sting, Acid, and Hidden Power Poison alongside Block to make your total PP > 120 (The amount of PP Starmie has) and also use all poison moves. The flexibility you have is pretty cool.

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
Counter:

So I was thinking Kyurem-B was a pretty good counter to Starmie, because Scald is a 7HKO. Unfortunately, my efforts in switching Kyurem-B into Starmie kept getting foiled by the 30% chance of burn, which meant not even Kyurem-B could serve as a Starmie counter. I thought long and hard about this problem, and I think I found a solution:

SATAN (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage/ Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Facade

Relevant calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 451-532 (139.1 - 164.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 301-355 (92.9 - 109.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 502-592 (154.9 - 182.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kyurem-Black: 47-56 (12 - 14.3%) -- possible 7HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-Black Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 351-414 (108.3 - 127.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, not even a Scald burn can deter Kyurem-B from switching in, making him a very practical solution. Use with Magnezone for effective results.

Last edited:
Mega Abomasnow (aka the best Mega that exists) as a counter.

Iceman (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

4 SpA Starmie Psyshock vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow-Mega: 84-99 (22.6 - 26.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
252+ SpA Abomasnow-Mega Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 314-372 (96.9 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

Nothing more is needed to say, Starmie is too weak.

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
Mega Abomasnow (aka the best Mega that exists) as a counter.

Iceman (Abomasnow) (M) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake

4 SpA Starmie Psyshock vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow-Mega: 84-99 (22.6 - 26.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes
252+ SpA Abomasnow-Mega Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 314-372 (96.9 - 114.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

Nothing more is needed to say, Starmie is too weak.
I think this is shaky at best, though. What if it gets burned?

I think this is shaky at best, though. What if it gets burned?
The goal in this thread is to counter Starmie, not to kill all of Starmie's teammates. It gets that done, as burn doesn,t affect Gigadrain. Besides, you can always pair it with something like Chansey, Clefable, Umbreon or non-Mega Diancie, all of which have Heal Bell or Aromatheraphy.

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
Cacturne is cool and all but everyone knows no Starmie is ever staying in against a Cacturne, so you'll never be able to block it.

Fear not, for our new lord and saviour Malamar is here to save the day!

Counter:

Malamar @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Block
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Rest

As we all know, Malamar is a massive threat in ORAS, being capable of very quickly amassing a big number of boosts and sweeping an entire team. So, what is the best way to cripple a physical attacker? That's right, burn it! Which means Starmie is going to stay in to attempt to burn it with Scald. And that's when you Block it. Then, all you have to do is set up against Starmie with Superpower.

+6 4 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 184-217 (56.7 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Starmie Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 76-90 (20.2 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Since you never KO it, you are able to go to as far as +2/+2 against it. And the best part is that after you are done setting up, you'll be able to get rid of the burn using the legendary ChestoResto combo, one of the most deadly combos in Pokemon history, allowing you to sweep through the rest of the team with an unstatused +2/+2 Malamar.

So not only does my set counter Starmie, it also sets you up to win the game.

Last edited:

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Nominating Starmie as a counter.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Starmie's typing allows it to resist both Water and Psychic, both of opposing Starmie's STABs. Natural Cure also allows it to heal Scald burns off. Recover heals off the damage Starmie takes from Starmie, and Scald can burn it and force it out. 252 Speed EVs and a timid nature allow me to speed tie with Starmie.

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Counter: Shedinja

Shedinja @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 7 HP / 7 Def / 7 SpA
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- X-Scissor

The posted Starmie set can't hit it. Safety Goggles for immunity to Sandstorm and Hail. Standard moves. 7 / 7 / 7 IVs on irrelevant stats for good luck hopefully.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Counter: Ditto

Ditto @ Bright Powder / Choice Scarf / Absorb Bulb / Mind Plate / whatever u want man
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
IVs: IV it either for HP Ice for Thundurus or HP Ground for Magnezone
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Transform

Literally everything Triangles said but you have infinite PP, so it's strictly better than Hclat's suggestion too. Choice Scarf is better in most other cases but anything else can be used if u don't fancy switching up moves to be able to really punish those pesky Starmie. It copies Natural Cure and resists both STABs go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)