Programming Procedural Pokémon - v1.2 Stoneless Megas Update

logo.png

Procedurally generated pokémon teams to use in Pokémon Showdown.

Check a look!

• Draft a team from a pool of random options across the first 8 generations of Pokémon.
    • The generation process was created with a design philosophy in mind, more info on the site.
  • Export your team into showdown to use it in custom games.
    • The site includes visual step by step guides.
  • Usable for 1v1s or local/community tournaments.
    • Some ways of playing the format are available on the site.
  • Open source.

"So... I like games about decisions, opportunity cost, and variables. Pokémon should be a natural fit, but I find the mainline games too easy to keep me engaged. I found out the Nuzlocke challenge long ago, but it was until the randomness factor was added with the Randomlocke challenge that It caught my attention. I watched people doing them first to see if I wanted to try something like that, but since the things I liked most was the team drafting and random battles, I decided to instead search for a way of doing just that.

Enter Pokémon Showdown with their random battle formats. I tried them out and at first it was a good fix for what I wanted, but the more games I played the more I started to see limitations in their random team generation that left me wanting more. You also don't get to draft your team in those formats, so the other big thing I was looking for wasn't there.

I kept looking and found PokéAPI. I immediately began thinking about the possibilities and made a bare bones web app that only gave you 9 random pokémon upon loading... Evidently, I kept going." - About

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
I was the one to point you here for sharing this, I'm glad I did, this is great. Some feedback:

-There are a few moves with incorrect descriptions, such as Scale Shot and the Let's Go signature moves.
-Female Indeedee exports incorrectly, it exports as Indeedee-Female instead of the Indeedee-F that Showdown recognizes. Not sure if this happens with Meowstic as well.
-A toggle could be added for the "information" abilities to be allowed, as not all matches are with knowledge of the opposing team.
-I noticed Rock Head generated with Light of Ruin, which (as well as Steel Beam, Mind Blown) is not counted as a recoil move for its purposes. I assume this would also happen with Reckless.
-Could Z-Crystals and Mega Stones be added? Z-Crystals could be locked to if you can have a move of that type with signature Z-Crystals and Mega Stones locked to if you have the corresponding mon. As well as something to prevent 2 Z-Crystals or Mega Stones from generating. Alternatively, Megas could generate on their own without an item and depending on BST take up the "top mon" slot.
-Legends/Mythics below 540 BST could simply be added to the normal mon pool rather than excluded entirely.

I was the one to point you here for sharing this, I'm glad I did, this is great. Some feedback:
My man, thanks for the guidance. Regarding feedback:
  • I like the toggle for "info" abilities and adding legends/mythics below 540 BST to the normal pool ideas, these are also relatively easy to implement, so I could make an update with those soon.
  • I can also fix the description/export/usability issues you pointed out and make an update soon.
  • For Z-crystals/Mega stones, I have mixed feelings about adding them, I like the first way you suggested (usability check for moves of relevant type, specific pokemon, and a limit of 1 per team each), the thing I don't like is that if these options are on the pool, but are also random (instead of deterministic like "top pokemon" or "shiny bonus"), I feel that it would hurt the drafting process because people will just click generate until those appear in their options, therefor they would need to be deterministic and I'm not entirely sure that would be better than not having those options at all because then the high rolls for a team would increase significantly and the average team would become less competitive. I'll think about it while I work on the other fixes though, since I imagine a lot of people would like to have those options in some form.
Also, I was thinking on adding a "change log" below the "useful links" section on the home page, and maybe add the usernames of people that helped with each update if applicable. What do you think about that?

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
A changelog sounds good. I see your point about Z-Crystals (as well as Gems already doing the same thing) but I do think Stoneless Megas would be a good addition to the legendary/pseudo pool. Looking through a few more generations it looks like the incomplete info moves are mostly gen 8 ones. In total I found these:
Almost everything from gen 8, as well as:
Things changed between gen 7 and gen 8: Teleport switches the user out, Terrains only boost by 30%, Rapid Spin boosts speed
The Let's Go signature moves
Photon Geyser
Plasma Fists
OHKO moves should mention their level scaling property (relevant here because of the shiny level buff)
Lunar Dance doesn't mention PP or status
Pluck and Bug Bite do not double in damage if the target has a Berry
Double Iron Bash does not list its flinch chance
Not technically an inaccuracy but Weather Ball says "If there be weather"
The tag for sound moves should mention they bypass Substitute
Razor Wind has an increased crit rate
Redirection moves like Follow Me, as well as Ally Switch, Heal Pulse, After You, and Quash, should be added to the "useless in Singles" group, speaking of which a toggle for doubles that allows these moves and abilities would be cool
It appears that, due to sharing Reckless's move list, Rock Head counts Heat Crash, one of the "crash moves" that are boosted by Reckless but are not recoil, as a recoil move.

Hope this helps.

A changelog sounds good. I see your point about Z-Crystals (as well as Gems already doing the same thing) but I do think Stoneless Megas would be a good addition to the legendary/pseudo pool. Looking through a few more generations it looks like the incomplete info moves are mostly gen 8 ones. In total I found these:
Hope this helps.
Hey, great feedback, I fixed most of the points you mentioned, just a couple of things about them:

-I did fix an error in the way I was doing the usability checks for Rock Head, but regarding the moves you mentioned about this, as far as bulbapedia and showdown's help channel go, the moves I'm using are fine. I can show you the list below, maybe you could point me to up to date sources if I have outdated info. If the list is fine the usability fix should be enough though.
-Reckless: 'brave-bird', 'double-edge', 'flare-blitz', 'head-charge', 'head-smash', 'high-jump-kick', 'jump-kick', 'submission', 'take-down',
'wild-charge', 'light-of-ruin', 'volt-tackle', 'wood-hammer'
-Rock Head: everything from reckless excluding: 'high-jump-kick', 'jump-kick'

Current info situation:
Since I'm using pokeapi, I share every missing or incorrect piece of info. The ideal case would be the pokeapi community updating their database for all relevant entries. The thing I'm doing right now with the bulbapedia links for missing things and manually fixing incorrect texts is manageable (specially because it's mostly gen 8 stuff), but I don't like the wiki dependency added while drafting teams.
What I'm aiming for right now is making sure every current team option with info has a correct description, with solid tooltip support to minimize third party dependency. After that maybe I could start adding missing info manually. Any help here would be highly appreciated since I'm no master trainer and my knowledge of current mechanics and interactions is lower compared to the regular showdown user.

I also added the mythical/legendary below 540 BST idea and and thought about the toggles, megas and z-crystals. As of now, I also want to add those in the following ways:
The idea here is to have a solid default generation process, but giving users the option to customize it to their liking while retaining the core philosophy, to that end:
-add a toggle section at or above controls, that also disappears while generating options.
-add toggles for "info", "doubles", "megas" and "z-crystals".
-info and doubles toggles would control related moves and abilities from spawning.
-megas toggle would control stoneless megas from spawning, they would follow the same total base stats rules for top pokemon.
-z-crystals toggle would control related items from spawning, these would require extra usability checks and therefor take the longest to add.

As a side note, I was thinking if adding something like "top pokemon" but for moves would improve the drafting process and/or average team, something like generating exactly 1 signature (or similar) move on each moveset. Let me know any thoughts you may have on that.

Also, big thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Hey there! This is a really cool project - I am in LOVE with what AI can do recently, and mixing that with Pokemon Teams can result in some interesting teams! Here's a team I made using it: The GorrilaHorse Squad!

Genesect @ Steel Gem
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 3 Def / 17 SpA
- Whirlwind
- Pin Missile
- Metal Claw
- Heavy Slam
Genesect is my main STAB attacker, and for good reason. It's the Legendary I got from the generator, which means it's really good at dishing out some good damage. Whirlwind is mainly the cheese move that won't get used often, but I still had to include it.

Toucannon (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Lax Nature
IVs: 24 Atk / 21 Def
- Techno Blast
- Submission
- Energy Ball
- Metal Sound
Toucannon is another one of those attackers, however, it is able to use a mixed set with Flying STAB Techno Blast thanks to Aerilate. Energy Ball and Submission are for non-STAB options which are actually pretty decent coverage. Not a bad mon on this team!

Darmanitan Galar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 10 Atk / 29 Def
- Night Slash
- Draining Kiss
- Superpower
- Behemoth Blade
Literally one of the mons I named this team after - this gorilla is AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER. Even though it doesn't have STAB, thanks to Scrappy, Superpower is able to hit through Ghost types, and equipping it with Life Orb alongside its monstrous attacking stat makes for the backbone of this entire thing. Good luck surviving against him.

Stakataka @ Enigma Berry
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 HP / 2 Atk / 9 SpD
- Branch Poke
- Hone Claws
- Tail Slap
- Skill Swap
Probably the least important mon, only being used for Skill Swap Klutz cheese. It is a setup attacker though, so I guess that counts?

Reuniclus (F) @ Tanga Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Naughty Nature
IVs: 10 Atk / 23 Def / 28 SpA
- Nuzzle
- Psychic
- Jungle Healing
- Snarl
Reuni is the utility Mon of this team, packing a decent punch. It's got the tools it needs, ranging from healing in Jungle Healing, paralyzing in Nuzzle, and lowering Special Attack in Snarl. Also STAB Psychic is pretty decent too, and thanks to its solid defensive stats, it's able to take some attacks. Overall, not bad.

Rapidash (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 13 HP / 20 Def / 26 SpD
- Swagger
- Head Smash
- Wood Hammer
- Flying Press
The SECOND mon I named this team after: not as powerful as Garmanitan, but it's still REALLY powerful in its own. Recoil damage does trip you up though, but you are able to recover that. Nothing else to say here really.

I'm gonna put a PokePaste link soon so everyone can use this team, but for now, this tool is pretty good... in case if you're bored.
(Also, sorry Smogoffers, I failed No Post November :blobsad:)

Hello, sorry for the double post - just as a small question, is there/will there be any work done on Generation 9? It actually added a LOT of new Pokemon, Moves, Abilities and Items.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)