Priority Turns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i've been noticing that the priority is a little strange. I'll explain. My opponent has an Infernape out, and finishes one of my pokemon, and I send out my Infernape to face it.

I use substitute, and he uses Overheat. My substitute takes the hit and fades.

I use substitute again, and he uses Overheat again. My substitute takes the hit and fades.

(I'm using an Endeavor Infernape).

My HP is now 50, I figure that I will do it once more, and then use endeavor.

So I select Substitute again, and he uses Overheat again.

For some reason, he attacks first and kills my Infernape.

I don't seem to understand why this is. He had speed boosts from a Ninjask, but since my Infernape entered play, it was already faster... and nothing happened to change the speed of either pokemon. He did not use a priority move like Mach Punch.

It has been happening a few times now, so I don't quite understand what's up. Can anyone explain this to me? Or is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe because even at minimum HP (262 HP at 0 IVs and 0 EVs), you don't have enough HP to Substitute again... You need 25% of your health, and 25% of 262 is 65 (rounded down). You have 50, so it would fail.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
He never said anything about the sub failing, leading me to believe your Infernape were running the same speed. In the event of a speed tie, it's a 50-50 coin flip for who goes first.

But then was I so lucky that I won the first like 3 coin flips? Becuase his ape revenge killed one of my pokemon, so when I sent out my ape, we were both at 100% HP untouched. I beat him to the punch EVERY turn and I got my substitute out before he hit me, EVERY turn. All of a sudden, the last turn (the most important for me since I need to use endeavor) he gets to go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)