Post your searing hot takes

I got bored the other day and made a list of how I'd rank all of the main "Super Mario" platformers on a tier list. This is what I came up with. Some takes aren't hot at all, but others... they could be a bit spicy. I really don't think Sunshine is all it's cracked up to be nowadays compared to its competition, and I never understood why a few of these games even exist to begin with outside of marketing purposes.

View attachment 454747
Hot take: SM64 is the worst 3D Mario game and sunshine is significantly better than it and a really good game that people hate too much. Galaxy and Odyssey are still better tho

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Anyway to my hot take: Kahoot fucking SUCKS

It's one of those games where you accidentally get behind, there's NO coming back. You WILL drop 10 places if you get a problem wrong.

EDIT: it also won't let you put funny names anymore, like Gabe Itch or Ice Wallow Come
agree w this. it's not a very well-designed game

that said imo its main value lies in the fact that it's more exciting than anything else you can do in a classroom (and back in my day you COULD put in funny names. i think i called myself bin laden once)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like complaining that it’s difficult to recover from behind in Kahoot is like complaining that your life bar can drop to zero in Street Fighter. If you’re behind, it’s because your opponents are playing better than you are lol. Just revise more and work on your fact recall techniques.

If u get an answer wrong and then your classmates don’t give you an opportunity to even the score, that’s the game working as intended.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i like kahoot a bunch but a lot of the fun of street fighter is, if you get hit once, you can pressure or trick or force your opponent into making a mistake to come back. in kahoot, if you miss question 1, you could play immaculately and still have no control of your fate if someone else gets them all right. even if you get 2-10 faster than the other person! relying on mistakes out of your control is kinda tragic. maybe they could weight question speed more to counteract that some? idk, tough problem

I feel like complaining that it’s difficult to recover from behind in Kahoot is like complaining that your life bar can drop to zero in Street Fighter. If you’re behind, it’s because your opponents are playing better than you are lol. Just revise more and work on your fact recall techniques.

If u get an answer wrong and then your classmates don’t give you an opportunity to even the score, that’s the game working as intended.
Ok but you don't DIE if you get hit once in street fighter you can still theoretically come back from any amount of health without relying on tons of human error

Is there any point in playing a game that you can't win anymore? And if you just quit, the whole point of Kahoot (being a study tool) is completely eliminated

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
Kahoot is basic, but Quizizz is an RNG nightmare. You could get useless power-ups, or you could beat 2nd place by 9,000 points even though they only missed one question
i'd forgotten abt quizzizzizzizzizz! i don't remember any rng factors tho - is that a new thing? (in fact the only thing i vaguely remember was that you could change(?) the theme to e.g. christmas/hallowe'en and maybe that instead of nicknames you just got given a number?)

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
After a lot of thought I have decided to reveal this hot take

"Monster" features an incredible verse by Nicki Minaj. I think to this day it's the best verse of her career. But Kanye's verse in that song is just as good, and I probably even prefer it tbh

I am now ready to get called a misogynist by the Barbz
this is less a hot take and more a story but once at rowing i was given the aux (a terrible idea, really) and the combination of the scream at the start & the lyric "fat motherfucker" made everyone laugh and i took it personally. so now i can't listen to this excellent song without thinking about that.

(both verses are v good. i agree)

i'd forgotten abt quizzizzizzizzizz! i don't remember any rng factors tho - is that a new thing? (in fact the only thing i vaguely remember was that you could change(?) the theme to e.g. christmas/hallowe'en and maybe that instead of nicknames you just got given a number?)
Basically, there are several power-ups you can get, which range from removing one incorrect answer choice(not that good)to doubling your points from that question(obviously great). This has gotten even worse recently with the introduction of a power-up which gives you 1.5* points for 30 seconds, which can stack with double points to give triple points for a question

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok but you don't DIE if you get hit once in street fighter you can still theoretically come back from any amount of health without relying on tons of human error

Is there any point in playing a game that you can't win anymore? And if you just quit, the whole point of Kahoot (being a study tool) is completely eliminated
Jokes aside, this is just how quizzes work. If you get one question wrong and your opponent doesn't, you lose. If there are (e.g.) 10000 points up for grabs, then a player who gets 10000 points statistically can not lose. It's not a flaw with Kahoot so much as it is with the entire concept of a quiz where everyone answers the same set of questions (if you can even call it a flaw). And just because you can't win, that doesn't mean that there's no reason to keep playing. You are competing with the entire class, not just whoever is in first, so try and place higher than your best friend who's sat in the back corner instead of continuing to compete with the nerd on the front row.

An actually-flawed quiz would be something like Mastermind, where you are on a timer to answer all of your questions, can't guarantee that your set of questions are going to let you get through the same number of questions in the same amount of time, and you aren't allowed to interrupt the host (meaning you can't claw back time lost due to variance in question length by figuring it out before the question is over). This is actually unfair design, as players aren't guaranteed to be on an even playing field.

Quizzes aren't exactly the only games like this either. For example, it is very, very common in high level snooker for you to lose an entire frame off of one (often very small—far smaller than getting a question wrong in Kahoot, and much more like guessing a second or two slower than whoever you're tied for first with) mistake. You can't go up and influence your opponent's cuing or change the positions of the balls when you aren't at the table, so you are forced to sit there and watch as Ronnie O'Sullivan cleans up. Similarly, if two strong chess players play against each other, it is common for one positional mistake or incorrect move order to be the difference between a draw and a loss, and one blunder is all it takes to turn a commanding winning position into an entirely lost one.

In both of these cases, if your mistake leaves your opponent with a good enough position, your ability to come back will depend entirely on your opponent cocking up somewhere. Does this make snooker and chess bad games? No, of course not. It's just a different room-for-error threshold than a game with more variance. And for a quiz, you ideally want as little variance as possible, because you know what feels worse than getting one question wrong and losing because of it? Getting every question correct and then losing to someone who didn't because of something completely out of your control.

While it's undoubtedly a classic and one of the best games of its time, FF6 is incredibly mediocre by today's standards. Kefka is an amazing villain and Dancing Mad is the best final boss theme ever, tough.

Also since it gets brought up a lot Chrono Trigger > FF6 by a landslide.

Two related to the original Donkey Kong Country:

- I like Boss Dumb Drum. An enemy rush / multi-mook melee is pretty rare for the SNES trilogy, the area it is a part of (Kremkroc Industries Inc.) makes thematic sense, and I'll take it any day over lazy palette swaps of Very Gnawty / Really Gnawty and Necky / Master Necky Jr. and Snr.

-I really don’t think Tanked Up Trouble is a bad or even hard stage. If there’s anything that’s BS about it, it’s the sole bonus room which asks you to let the starting platform run out of fuel. I think I have a harder time with Trick Track Trek honestly, as every time you fail the jump to the first bonus room have fun doing half the level again.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
After a lot of thought I have decided to reveal this hot take

"Monster" features an incredible verse by Nicki Minaj. I think to this day it's the best verse of her career. But Kanye's verse in that song is just as good, and I probably even prefer it tbh

I am now ready to get called a misogynist by the Barbz
This is a real disrespectful take, how dare you...it's universal knowledge that Nicki's best verse ever is on Monster. To say Kanye 2024 is better is blasphemous.

“Have you ever had sex with a Pharaoh?
I put the pussy in a sarcophagus”

REALLY?

I won't call you a misogynist but GAHDAMN

Hot take: Kanye hasn't put out a good song since he dropped Jesus is King

Last edited:
I am not a practising Christian but I prefer the Christmas that has something to do with the story of Jesus compared to the over-commercialiced celebration of consumption and capitalism that modern day Christmas is

I mean its so stupid. Its really just a feast for companies to make more money, it has no real meaning behind it. What should be a calm and peaceful celebration with the family ends up being a stressful and squeaky clean, fake event. The fact that Christmas is still equated with Wintertime and snow when the extreme consumerism and capitalism that happens during it basically ended these two things

The fact that people are bombarbed with Christmas for months on end at every step they walk isn't much better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 2)