Post your searing hot takes

My hot take on the Mario platformer rankings is that I'm not a huge fan of Odyssey. It felt like it was wasting the potential of how good Mario's basic moveset is by continually replacing it with the captures. Don't get me wrong, it's good in general, but I'm more likely to boot up 3D world instead if I'm wanting to play a Mario game.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I got bored the other day and made a list of how I'd rank all of the main "Super Mario" platformers on a tier list. This is what I came up with. Some takes aren't hot at all, but others... they could be a bit spicy. I really don't think Sunshine is all it's cracked up to be nowadays compared to its competition, and I never understood why a few of these games even exist to begin with outside of marketing purposes.

View attachment 454747
Mario 64 DS would be a clear improvement over the original if it wasn't on a system that only has a d-pad. That shit is so awful that it pretty much kills the game for me. Playing it on 3DS is marginally better, but it treats the circle pad like a d-pad, so it's still not great. I'm aware that there's a touchscreen alternative that gives you the full range of motion back, but I don't have the weird strap thing you're supposed to use for that, and I shouldn't need a touchscreen for Mario 64 anyway.

SM64 DS broke me when it comes to control schemes. Now I think that a D-pad just works for movement in every game and can't fathom why you would assume that you only needed to map the stick to movement if the D-pad doesn't have something else to do. I don't have an issue with stick aiming (at least when it isn't outclassed by gyro aim), just stick movement.

On second thought, it probably wasn't only SM64 DS. Any 3DS game that was half touchscreen (Kid Icarus being the main standout) probably also contributed since I use the stylus in my left hand, forcing me into button movement.

im sorry but x and y > diamond and pearl
I played Platinum first and then tried out DP and honestly? Yeah, I agree

DP feels very rushed and the game speed is just SO painful. I legit think they might be the worst mainline Pokemon games, whilst Platinum is one of the best as it took all of the potential and good from DP and polished it to make a great game. And I say that as someone who really doesn't like gen 6

Mr. Mime is indeed very cool :-) Now what are your opinions on Galarian Mr. Mime
:ss/mr  mime::ss/mr mime galar:
honestly cant decide which one is better. though i really enjoy galarian's typing

I played Platinum first and then tried out DP and honestly? Yeah, I agree

DP feels very rushed and the game speed is just SO painful. I legit think they might be the worst mainline Pokemon games, whilst Platinum is one of the best as it took all of the potential and good from DP and polished it to make a great game. And I say that as someone who really doesn't like gen 6
there's also that STUPID dex, which is more sad than anything ngl. platinum is miles better tho

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm back with some more takes after having a fun discussion with one of my roommates about some of the ones I've been reading in this thread. Unlike my last few, I'll be rapid-firing these.

• Rangers are objectively the best class in D&D. While I'm on the subject, we also think Fighters should have more abilities and that Monks should have more movement speed.
  • "Taco Bell" does indeed count as authentic Mexican food.
  • The modern Star Wars sequels would still suck even if Rey was a well-written character.
  • The vast majority of "slice of life" anime shows have pretty much the same basic plot premises.
  • Deoxys would benefit heavily from dedicated Physical and Special forms alongside the existing four.
  • Compared to the original show, the only good part about "The Legend of Korra" is some of the villains.
  • E-sports are not only not actual sports, but they also take away from what it means to participate in an active sport involving physical activities.

I'm back with some more takes after having a fun discussion with one of my roommates about some of the ones I've been reading in this thread. Unlike my last few, I'll be rapid-firing these.

• Rangers are objectively the best class in D&D. While I'm on the subject, we also think Fighters should have more abilities and that Monks should have more movement speed.
  • "Taco Bell" does indeed count as authentic Mexican food.
  • The modern Star Wars sequels would still suck even if Rey was a well-written character.
  • The vast majority of "slice of life" anime shows have pretty much the same basic plot premises.
  • Deoxys would benefit heavily from dedicated Physical and Special forms alongside the existing four.
  • Compared to the original show, the only good part about "The Legend of Korra" is some of the villains.
  • E-sports are not only not actual sports, but they also take away from what it means to participate in an active sport involving physical activities.
Big agree on the e-sports line. Though I guess chess being considered as a sport is a big factor in e-sports being tagged as sports. Chess doesn't involve physical activity, but tournaments are being made out of it similar to physical sports.

I think the biggest flaw of the sequels is that they are made by different characters that want very different things. And unlike the original trilogy, they are made without the guidance of George Lucas. The apparent hatred of JJ Abrams to the prequel trilogy also somewhat alienated prequel fans to the sequel trilogy.

Guey, I'm going to need you to explain this statement right the fuck now.
Fast food is overhated.
Holy crap, I am writing a Pokémon fanfic where several existing Pokémon got new forms, and among these are Physical and Mental Formes for Deoxys who are as specialized as the other ones.

As for a new unpopular opinion?
Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are waaaaaaaaay better names than Temporal Diamond and Spatial Pearl, also the glitches, especially the one that allow the capture of Shaymin, should have been kept and embraced.

Fast food is overhated.
There's a difference between "Taco Bell isn't that bad" and "Taco Bell is authentic Mexican cuisine and not bastardized 'Mexican-inspired' slop designed to be produced as cheaply as possible and appeal to a largely American market". The former is debatable, the latter is objectively incorrect and a borderline offensive take. It's a bit like saying a Big Mac is authentic German cuisine because it has distant cultural ancestry in Hamburg steaks. Sorry, but soaking some pink slime in soy sauce, paprika, and cumin doesn't constitute authentic Mexican food.

I have a rant about a niche subject. Feel free to skip if you're not into that.
Firstly, I don't like the aesthetic. That's personal preference though, so I won't dwell on it.

The Guard is thematically defined by not getting access to the sci-fi/fantasy nonsense the rest of the setting gets, with the exception of basic energy weapons. This means that it can't really compete when it comes to interesting mechanics: once another faction enters a design space that overlaps with Guard, it produces a much more interesting and refined take on that gimmick (both AdMech and Tyranids do a much better job at having "rigid command structure" as a faction identity, for example).

One of the main points I see in the Guard's favour is that it's thematically an underdog faction, and to be honest I don't understand how that belief occurred. The Guard is in top 4 most numerous factions, and top 3 when it comes to replacability. Sure, any individual guardsman is probably dead in seconds, but that's also true of any individual Ork or gant. It feels like a Guard player can get tabled and declare that they held off long enough for some of their endless reinforcements and declare themselves the winner to an excessive degree, and that's a pretty high bar coming from a Tzeentch player. You could argue that this niche has been carved up just like most of Guard's mechanics: Genestealer Cults now lets you run a group of mostly-normal humans that get results through cunning instead of endless supply lines.

There is one aspect that Guard still has on its own, and bluntly I wish it didn't. Guard is partially the tank-focused faction, and it feels like that causes more problems for other factions than it solves for one. Guard tanks aren't exactly great, since they're designed to get strength from high numbers. However, because Guard is "the tank faction," it wouldn't do to have other generalist factions get better tanks than it. Only a very small number of factions have usable tanks right now, mostly because they can count one style of vehicle within their specialization (example: the Tau have a single good tank loadout because they surmounted guard as the "shooting and conventional tactics" faction several years ago). I want this to finally be replaced so that other factions benchmark is good tanks, not mediocre tanks that it doesn't make sense for more elite armies to field that many of.

The setting no longer uses unaugmented humans as the baseline, if it ever did. It no longer needs Guard to be the command army, the shooting army, the horde army, or the underdog army. 40K has outgrown the Guard, and it's time to stop being limited by it.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Guey, I'm going to need you to explain this statement right the fuck now.
I suppose “authentic” isn’t the right word, but I will stand by the idea that Taco Bell’s fills a specific niche in the fast food market over here in the U.S. dominated by burgers and fries. Authenticity debates boil down to how the food is presented in my opinion. Chipotlé for instance: it’s one of those places that has what I call the “make your meal while ordering” situation going on, which is an idea almost unheard of outside of the States from what I’m aware of. Live cooking is much less “Americanized” by comparison to the average Taco Bell’s more traditional approach.

I suppose “authentic” isn’t the right word, but I will stand by the idea that Taco Bell’s fills a specific niche in the fast food market over here in the U.S. dominated by burgers and fries. Authenticity debates boil down to how the food is presented in my opinion. Chipotlé for instance: it’s one of those places that has what I call the “make your meal while ordering” situation going on, which is an idea almost unheard of outside of the States from what I’m aware of. Live cooking is much less “Americanized” by comparison to the average Taco Bell’s more traditional approach.
I disagree that presentation is more important than what you're actually eating, but I can 100% tell you that the presentation at something like a Chipotlé or Qdoba is a hell of a lot closer to every version of the real thing I've ever experienced than a Taco Bell, even if it's still heavily Americanized. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "make your meal while ordering", do you mean assembling your food in front of you as you order it? Because they do that basically everywhere in Mexico; street food is huge in Mexico and you can find street food vendors who prepare your food in a very similar fashion in every Mexican city I've ever visited. It's not exactly the same thing, sure, but it's not far off either. Taco Bell sure as hell misses the mark by a bigger margin than Chipotlé, not that I think either one is a stellar representation of Mexican culture.

Similarly, Gordos are the strongest beings in the Kirby universe because they are immortal.
Once when I was playing a Kirby game as a kid the game glitched and I managed to eat a Scarfy

Anyway to my hot take: Kahoot fucking SUCKS

It's one of those games where you accidentally get behind, there's NO coming back. You WILL drop 10 places if you get a problem wrong.

EDIT: it also won't let you put funny names anymore, like Gabe Itch or Ice Wallow Come

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)