Resource Post-WCoOM V Thread

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Congratulations to US NorthEast for winning this fifth edition of this world cup edition !
Also congrats to Europe for making it to finals 2 years in a row.
This edition was cool to watch, but I'm happy for the end of this generation, and waiting for the SV generation.

I'm also proud of France team, in 4 editions, we have gone from outsider to a threatening team not to be underestimated.
I already did the Shoutout in the french server, but I'm proud of you guys wigjoyous.png

:mewtwo: :palkia: :chansey: :celesteela: :zamazenta-crowned: :xerneas:
https://pokepast.es/923514d5313ed3d3

My only team vs Tanny89k, L.
I haven't some idea what on build vs him, and just choose to build something safe team with 2 threats, mewtwo and palkia.
It's not the best team, probably ok-team.

Last year, Osake made a post giving his opinion, what he liked and what not.
I will do the same this year, and how to improve this.
I'm not making it just for complain, but because I want the best for OM tournaments :blobnom:

What to improve ?

FORMAT
Keep this format, and don't take the format from the 4th edition.
I confirm as a manager and as a spectator it's more hype for me to watch some battle friday to sunday, and not having 50% of battles the last day and probably have some problem.

NATION BASHING
The last year, i was very sad to see some nation bashing, from others managers, players or spectator, and I'm happy to see it wasn't the case this year . (Or only in private :blobglare:)

NEED A HELPING HAND ?
Hosting alone is always a bad idea, but you need a minimum of two hosts, especially for taking Information and Administrative Decisions and to avoid some useless drama.
If you host the next edition, please host with another OM auth, and to being very active isn't enough. Same comment for the the next OMPL and OMFL.
I talk about this because I already hosted some french teamtour, with 8 teams, and not only one time. (pinging Clementine who can confirm this point)
(also waiting for the roster :bloblul:)

USERNAME RULES

Well, I don't like this rule but it doesn't come you, but from smogon, so :blobshrug:
But please add a "smogon name" and a "showdown name" section in the next players signup. It would help avoid some random warnings because managers and players didn't know this rule (and can use a same alt for many month/year). Use it to have a strict usernames for this world cup. No alt, nor "similar name", it's just useless for this community.

See you next year, I will be happy to manage France again for the VI edition of this world cup :blobwizard:

Gastronomic_France.png

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Hosting alone is always a bad idea, but you need a minimum of two hosts, especially for taking Information and Administrative Decisions and to avoid some useless drama.
If you host the next edition, please host with another OM auth, and to being very active isn't enough. Same comment for the the next OMPL and OMFL.
While I was the sole host this edition, I consulted the entire om mod team before each decision as a pseudo host team, so I’m unsure what you’re getting at here.

Also the Roster is listed in the records sheet like I said in the discord

First of all, félicitations to US Northeast for winning OMWCOP V !! I'm glad I was able to see them get their second World Cup win throughout the tournament.

Individually, as a new player, I was very honored to be able to represent US South for this edition of World Cup! I had an amazing experience being with the team and I want to thank them for letting me have this chance. Going from spectator to player was a dream coming true.
I enjoyed my time in this tournament; I got to see my team work together and play in real time, and I got to know about many players.
I also thank them for trusting me and to have got to Semifinals with me. It was a great run.

It's now my time to do this kind of post and I had a fun time thinking about it. I will go on to explain my perspective of the team I have played and the environment I was in, from making them to playing my matches. I just hope it is somewhat readable for those that like to read this kind of stuff as I did reading Post World Cup and OMPL posts.

Vs. France - Week 1 (L vs. PandaDoux)
:thwackey: :vullaby: :piloswine: :hattrem: :gurdurr: :wartortle:
Fighting France week 1 was magical. Like being in different dimensions and waving to the other side. When I saw I had to fight PandaDoux I was feeling very confident because we already played before in NFE SSNL so I got that EXP, and because it was some kind of a rivalry at the time since we were paired for GG SSNL before that and he won our matchs so it was a 1-1 situation I absolutely did not want to lose.

Building
When scouting I already knew what I would be up against: The kind of team that gradually breaks you, the kind to have an answer to everything the opponent throws at you; I was prepared to face a slow team. It took a while to think of something solid to play and initially I wanted to play his game because I was prepared for a long game. I've gone with the idea of forcing things out and taking advantage.
For that I wanted to bring Sub SD Thwackey; a set I've found to be useful against what he could potentially bring. I wanted to play this set when I was rewatching my NFE SSNL replays for ideas and it caught my attention when Mr.Bossaru used it against my Corsola Galar on turn 11. I wanted to have the same scenario where a potential Corsola-Galar could do nothing against a Thwackey. With that I wanted some kind of breaker that would help Thwackey and I used Morgrem first since I was pretty much familiar with it and it was an ideal breaker for a team. Choice Band Piloswine to force things out and Linoone-Galar for a potential Lampent I know he could use and it would make the team less passive instead of using a regular Vullaby.
I made second version of the team afterwards since Morgrem was an odd pick. Bulk up Gurdurr suited well its role and it allowed me to use regular Vullaby. All of that with Nuzzle Healing Wish Hattrem replacing Clefairy to help against Roserade and helping the team being offensive. I was then suggested Wartortle to ease the Raboot matchup and because Linoone-Galar prevented me to absorb Knock Off more effectively.

I've gone with the third and final version just for that. I didn't believe Raboot would be a problem nor he would bring it against me with the information I had. With some modification, the team became more passive than what I wanted it to be and the plan of having a long game came back in mind. I had still my sub Thwackey so it was still cool.

In battle
Team preview I see Raboot and it caught my attention for a good minute. "Raboot? now?? it's impossible!!" Of course I couldn't be more grateful for the Raboot call and changing the team but it's just how could I make things easier. The rest of his team confirmed what I wanted him to bring but with Raboot it changed the simple aspect of the match.
Turn 1 - I found Wart to be the more appropriate lead and after seeing the U-Turn damage I knew things would not be easy. You would prefer Boots when using Raboot but noooo, Band Raboot + Hattrem and Vullaby was atrocious. After Flip Turn I was happy I had Band Pilo since the plan to force things out applied pretty well.
Turn 7 - Exchanging for a Knock on his Pilo with Vulla and having my Tort low was not ideal. I just wanted to be in a position where things would be easier for me to be offensive. My Pilo get poisoned but I'm able to get rock up, forcing him to hard his Vulla. It allowed me to hard Gurdurr and set up directly since I'm still in disadvantage. I get to Knock his Corsola and my Hatt helps deny the recovery and allows me to heal my Pilo from poison.
Turn 14 - I gambled on his Vulla being faster since mine is 30evs but revealed to be more slower which placed me in a weird spot. I didn't want to roost vs Raboot or Pilo coming so after his U-Turn I just wanted to force something. Other responses would result in me going Hatt and him taking advantage.
Turn 18 - Reset of the situation by losing Vulla and allowing to place Pilo and forcing things out again. I get to chip the Raboot and Hatt, and from there Piloswine helped ease things out.
Turn 26 - I was able to get the sub Thwackey vs Corsola scenario and him hazing right after was very good.
After that it was my fault for keeping tunnel visioning with the SD; I could've chipped the Corsola and go from there and losing Gurdurr for Roserade wasn't ideal. I got confused on what to do later and lost.

TBH this loss gave me a bitter taste. I kept telling myself I wasn't supposed to lose and that things would be worst going forward... I just want's able to prove to be a good pick for my first match in World Cup!

Vs. Canada - Week 2 (W vs. Elfuseon)
:electabuzz: :roselia: :thwackey: :corsola-galar: :piloswine: :wartortle:
Week 2 I was just happy to be given the chance to play again. Right after the loss I wanted to go with something solid against Elfuseon but without a clear scouter I wanted to base my team on how he played in his his replays.

Building
Looking more into his week 1 replay he admitted he didn't play NFE much, so it caught my attention. I asked myself what I would bring to someone who would be new to the tier, and an Hazard Stack team was more suitable for that (also because it was the kind of team I had hard times dealing with in the past).
(There is also the consensus that you shouldn't say you don't know the tier the team trust you to play, etc, so that surprised me.)

I wanted to base the team on Spikes Roselia and Stealth Rock Corsola-Galar, and with Corsola having Rock I could use Piloswine as a Toxic user to lure when necessary. Thwackey was a good powerful and Knock Off user I choose, and Wartortle and Electabuzz came later as placeholders.
Here Electabuzz made me think of a Shing'n Streets 's team with a Boots Electabuzz so I used it here since it was appropriate for an Hazard Stack team and it allowed me to use the classic Rapid Spin Shell Smash Wartortle set.

A second version of the team was made because of the lack of a knock Off absorber, but I didn't like the idea I needed one and coming from week 1 where it wasn't necessary to have one I decided I would stick with the first version of the team. I was also happy the first version was solid enough to get a direct pass.

In battle
In team preview his team seemed more standard than what he brought week 1 so I was surprised. The idea of my team worked well here but the Lampent was still a problem since I had no good switch ins.

For me it was a pretty straightforward game -
Turn 1 - I lead Thwackey because of Lampent or what could be a mon that I could U-Turn on, and for me the lead Vullaby seemed wrong since I had Buzz and Pilo that could've been a problem if I had led with one of them. With a Thwackey vs Vullaby lead it allowed me to not worry much and go Roselia to use Covet on the Knock Off, but because of Lampent I decided to double on Buzz and got a good good Static on the Vullaby.

Turn 5 - We trade SR allowing Lampent, Thwackey trades a Knock on Tangela and a Spike to go down to Lampent, Pilo comes I'm able to Toxic his Corsola, Buzz is able to stall the toxic with Taunt, the things I wanted to happen.

Turn 17 - His Pilo doesn't allow my Buzz to switch and I decided to go on Wartortle Shell Smash and eventually chip something. This moment reminded me since he doesn't play NFE much he could stay to chip me and possibly activate Torrent, but at the same time I thought he would know that hitting me here was not the move since Wart still has Eviolite and -1 can't KO.
He go for the hit, no crits, and the *victory* realization hits me. Then the "maybe Ice Shard + Bullet Punch kills??" and I wasn't so happy. Sacks Corsola to go Machamp and no Bullet Punch comes out before the Surf. I'm happy again.

I was happy to see him asking for the Torrent percentage because it's a common misconception and it confirmed what I thought in my preparation.

Vs. UK - Week 3 (W vs. Milo)
:gabite: :clefairy: :gurdurr: :vullaby: :tangela: :electabuzz:
Glad I was able to get my first win of the tour in week 2 so it was chill mode going into week 3.

It was another case of no clear scouter going against Milo but since I had the chance to fight him in BW Cup previously, things looked good for me. I knew how he played and with other week's matches having SOMALIA (week 1 ; week 2), I got a pattern on what he could bring against me.

Building
I wasn't sure at first on an overall team I could use and I wanted to base myself on a mon he could bring.
Raboot was the first mon I had in mind since for me it fitted how he played, and I started with Gabite on my team for that. The second mon I guessed was Fraxure; easy to use and fitted his team's week 2 replay, so I added Clefairy.
The rest of the team was complementary, and the first version was made. Flame Orb Gurdurr to break easily, Clasic Vullaby defog, Tangela with Sleep Powder to help vs Calm Mind Clefairy, and Specs Electabuzz to pressure.

The team had a mixed feeling at first but I wanted to keep it like that. Switched Electabuzz to a defensive RestTalk set to be safe against an opposing Electabuzz and a Wartortle, and changed Tangela to a fast set with Leaf Storm.
I wanted to use this Tangela set because it reminded me seeing S1nn0hC0nfirm3d 's "FAST TANG" somewhere that he used against me and some others in NFE SSNL. Since it could outspeed Lampent and tie with Rufflet (a mon SOMALIA used) it fitted well on the team.

Roselia seemed to be a problem but I was confident of the final version of the team.
(and also Choice Ban Piloswine, but just for the anecdote, my perspective against it was:
the idea would be to always lead with Gabite to know its set because the team gives a good Piloswine lead; EQ would be the best play because if it's Eviolite there is a high chance it just SR and if Band I lose my Gabite but got the confirmation and chip damage to help with seismi buzz.)

In battle
Teampreview the team looked very standard and very different from previous weeks so I had to change my perspective of the match (rip choice band Pilo gameplan).

Turn 1 - Lead Tangela seemed good for me; good to get a knock vs Buzz, Thwackey, and Pilo. I'm able to knock Vulla and Trick Roselia after, classic things that gave me direct advantage.

Turn 10 - Toxic on the Thwackey and rocks up helps me place Gurdurr and KO early game. When Buzz was going to rk I kept tunnel visioning a Choice Specs set and I go to Tang without looking at the damage to go right after to Vullaby, and it was then I realized it was not specs and questioned the purpose of those plays... It kinda worked but it was still a silly mystake to make at that moment of the game.
I got to force his buzz out and trade Tangela to let my Gurdurr in to KO Roselia.

Turn 19 - Raboot is in and with rocks it confirms a choice band set but it's still not good good for me with my mons weak. I go to Gabite to get hit by a Flare Blitz and I go Vulla on the Thwackey switch in.
For me it was very obvious but it seemed to be an arguable play for others. I was personally fine losing Vullaby on a potential double Flare Blitz since I could rk with Gurdurr after, but I understand the need for him to KO my Gabite there and I even sack it afterwards.
Gurdurr is able to tank Raboot's Sucker Punch and clean with Mach Punch at the end.

I was prepared for worse but I was happy the team proved itself.
(Wasn't able to show off "FAST TANG" though.)

Vs. Europe - Semifinals (L vs. Jordy)
:torracat: :duosion: :roserade: :vullaby: :gabite: :machoke:
2 wins in the bag, I was on my way to get the third. We made it to Semifinals and I had to keep things going.

Building
I had a fun session to discuss on what I could bring against Jordy, going from his full scouter to a playstyle I could use.
With all of that I wanted to use Torracat. It was a mon I considered to be enough against the type of build could use based on his scouter. It helped with Intimidate in most cases, it could pivot, it could set up easily if wanted... A good general pick.
It was also a mon not seen enough for me to know its full utility... It has Taunt, Will-O-Wisp... and Nasty Plot??

I wanted to play a Bulky Sword Dance set in this case, and beauts helped me (thank you very much) adjust the rest of the team.

The first version of the team reminded me of my Grand Finals team in NFE SSNL with Hakamo. beauts suggested to have something for a potential Mareanie and Hattrem was a partner of choice for Torracat. For me, using a defensive Hattrem would make the team too shallow so I made it Healing Wish to give it a better utility and make the team more offensive.
Ferroseed was a reliable check and hazard setter, Koffing would help vs Mareanie's Regenerator and Knock-Off, and Eletabuzz + Hakamo-o would help keep pressure. I was very proud of this team even incomplete because of how I could see it do well with what I knew playing the tier. But the team wasn't enough since it lacked a hazard removal and it was based on being offensive which would put me in a high risk high reward scenario against Jordy who is unpredictable.

Then I made a second version based on a Duosion, following the pattern of the first version. Duosion was a mon I didn't use and I thought it would be cool if it was a surprise factor. Knowing Jordy, it would be an everyday NFE thing but for me it was still worth it.
Duosion would be a classic Future Sight set paired with a Brave Bird Vullaby to help against Gurdurr.
I also wanted to keep the idea of Healing Wish Hattrem support and made a third version using Acrobatic Thwackey and offensive Roselia with Leaf Storm.

Both teams were one-dimensional and that wasn't good. beauts then proposed a fourth version, combining the two teams which was very cool. It used Magic Guard Duosion and SpDef Gabite to better handle a potential hazard war. Tweaked it a little and the team was accepted from there.

I wanted to keep offensive Roselia because it could be another surprise factor with no cost against Jordy. Then beaut mentioned that Piloswine could be a problem but I was more afraid of a Gurdurr since it could Knock Off for free on my team and Piloswine was less scary to face. We then opted to replace Electabuzz for a Machoke. It could prevent Piloswine from coming in, resulting in other important opposing mons to be handled; it helped the team being more offensive which was what I wanted, and could easily be placed on the field with Torracat's U-Turn.

It allowed me to make Gabite defensive and Roselia SpDef in the fifth version, that I then changed to the final version with 200 Spe Roselia because of a potential fast Choice Band Piloswine I couldn't handle directly if it was against Roselia. The team was good to go and it was cool.

In battle
Teampreview, I'm somewhat confident; I know Corsola-Galar is annoying, the Gurdurr call that gets to Knock-Off everything is there, I can't touch Linoone-Galar much which was a good call from him, Piloswine + Roserade is standard and means the potential hazard war is there... I kind of had trouble knowing what I had to do at first.

Turn 1 - I lead Vullaby because of a easy lead Linoone since it doesn't care of my team except Machoke and can just use Parting Shot. He leads his Vullaby and it was a similar scenario. we trade Knocks and I find it strange his Vulla is faster since mine has 8 evs in speed. He reveals Brav Bird and I know it will not be good for my Vulla since he's faster. Then I decided to temporize in order to not reveal my Brave Bird for his Gurdurr since it could easily come in on a Roost.

Turn 6 - Gurdurr comes in and is Flame Orb. I know Roserade can take a hit to outspeed and KO after. I wasn't sure at first because me going Roselia on Gurdurr seemed odd and I could easily be faster, and looking at the timer showed he had already clicked after Roserade came in so it confirmed that he was confident in staying so I got KO his Gurdurr after.

Turn 9 - I got to bait his Linoone to knock Roselia into Double Edge on Gabite, chiping it and forcing him to not knock my Gabite which is what I wanted. Taunt on me wanting to Stealth Rock was surprising, I wanted to Earthquake but traiding rocks with Piloswine seemed more good for me, so it was well played.
I assumed he would knock my Gabite so I go Vullaby to bait another knock into Double Edge but I get Parting Shot and face Piloswine which is immediately not good for me. I go Torracat as a midground play on rocks but he stays on my U-Turn to EQ on Duosion.

Turn 15 - I know he can't do much against Duosion so I use that to get Machoke in. I got to Knock Off Corsola-Galar but it resulted in Machoke being weakened, which wasn't ideal of a play to make looking it back.

Turn 23 - My Roselia gets to recover and it allows my Vulla to defog after. Torracat got to burn Pilo, opening my Roserade to Spikes and my Vullaby to tank hits from it.

Turn 34 - Vulla vs Vulla again, and I decide to keep playing the scenario until I get something like a little opening for me to place one of my mons. I got to defog and place Torracat on his Roost and I want to keep pressure from there so I Sword Dance and take out Pilo which I found just benefiting him. Gabite go out on Linoone and a that point I lost on what I could do to win.

Turn 63 - I try to Toxic his Vulla to help mine but I realize I could have done it since the start. Roselia trade Spikes, Torra gets poisoned trying to RK and doesn't get to take out Corsola; I lose from there.

In the end, I was happy with this match. I got to fight Jordy and to show my team what I could do. My biggest regret is not handling Corsola with Duosion or Roselia and instead making Machoke unusable the entire match. I didn't visualized correctly the things that could have happened and basically throwed the game.
But of course, they are just simple mistakes that can be corrected.

s/o beauts You are very cool!! I can't thank you enough for helping everyone!!

s/o UT Thank you for the good vibes

s/o Shing'n Streets most of my bases came from yours so thanks again!!

s/o Maybca☆〜ゝ。∂ Merci beaucoup pour les test et les conseils ! C'est toujours sympa d'être avec toi.

s/o Dragonillis for believing in me (also for reminding me the last minute to signup because the signup period wasn't 2 weeks like it said it was) + (goat)

Thank you all, and... GULF COAST BEST COAST LETS GOOOOO
marshtomp.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)