Metagame Post-SPL Set Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
approved by atomicllamas

With Smogon's best time of the year coming to a close, it's time to get another one of these going. Share any uncommon sets or ideas you've brought or thought about bringing in SPL with the community n_n
Didn't tag the people who're still on the run for obvious reasons. Anyone else who has helped people preparing for their RU games but didn't play the tier in SPL is also free to post. IIRC, McMeghan shared some really cool sets last year

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Diancie @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpA / 96 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Ancient Power / Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Used this vs Luigi. week 8. Offensive SR Shuca Diancie is pretty cool given how popular Flygon is for defogging, pretty sure my SpD EVs were for Delphox or something, and The SpA EVs were for Mega Steelix? Idr, it was p arbitrary. Earth Power is also pretty sweet on offensive teams with Diancie cause it gives qwilfish 0 free turns (came in handy vs Luigi.), and also punishes M Lix switch ins. Ancient power means you don't really have to play games with Fletchinder, but Diamond Storm beats Houndoom / Delphox a lot harder + def boosts are cute. But yeah its a cool set, probably my favorite set I used all year.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ru-137084 <-- the game it was used in and actually did decent work, damn fast camel or it would have gotten 2 kills + rocks rather than 2 kills + nothing.

also thanks for posting this thread pearl :p.

yeah, i bummed it this year, really couldn't muster the motivation i'd have liked to have (sorry to my team x_x). but there was some cool stuff i wanted to mess w/somewhere along the line that i could stand to mention.

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Shard / Growth
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

fast aboma is neat b.c it always catches those middling-speed types off-guard (exploud, rott, magneton, scrafty, etc.), which can be pretty dang useful for bulky offenses and balanced stuffs. i've given some mild hype to growth b.c i think its a really nice tool for making aggro pushes into defensive cores, which can be rad if you're using it primarily to set up other mons, though shard picking off stuff like viriz and gonner definitely has enough merit here to be given consideration.

Garbodor @ Normal Gem
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 68 SpD / 140 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Explosion
- Gunk Shot

cool set i initially made a little bit before slammer, then ended up retooling it a smidge for this meta. plays as a more offensively-inclined teams soft-check to grasses, fighters, accelgor if it ever catches on, but can also effectively bait gonner, both ohkoing offensive variants on the switch after sr damage and outpacing and chunking defensive variants for ~75%. really cool for setting up something like a doomer to go in on balance.

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 152 HP / 200 Atk / 76 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost
- Acrobatics

not the most inventive thing of all time, but this can be the goat v.balance that's relying on tox'ing and durdling between momo / lix to handle this. it's trading some end-game potency, and in order for it to really get the traction you want it's best paired w/something that can bait and knock the momo, but it can really play to a lot of building trends favorably. strayed from atk investment just a little (you can't afford to drop much imo) to ensure momo scalds don't 2hko.

Slowking @ Rindo Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psychic
- Fire Blast / Grass Knot

bomb-ass set on a 'mon that should get played way more. plays a way more active roll than most slowking, which i think is honestly better b.c it feels like cm sets are too pressed to get anything rolling rn, what with the meta being a little too status-heavy (though colbur king is an ok-ish fight resist, which is neat). pushes through passive stuff nicely and has the leniency of a midgame thanks to regen. i really like rindo b.c baiting all the good grasses and popping them off is awesome (modest lo leaf storm from venu hits for 70% max, virizion leaf blade does like 40%), but the residual recovery of lefties does go a long way in sustaining tox damage, sponging various uninvested neutral hits, etc

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 12 Def / 232 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Swords Dance / Pursuit

hate av, love tect on fatmons. iron head is pretty superfluous, especially w/aero being disfavoured by a bunch of kids and sd punishing aromatisse squads moreso than anything else, so i find it to be scrappable most of the time. using this rather than the old mono-attacking set gives it more flexibility of play in balance and bulky offense match-ups, since you can actually catch the emboar switch, scout it out, and go from there. similarly, you can get aggro and beat into a lix or maybe a qwilfish (always an iffy thing 'cuz scald is clearly not worth banning, but w.e), using tect to keep you out of ko range and helping to lay up another mon. pursuit is obviously also useful, especially until hoopa leaves, but it requires a little less explanation.

Hariyama @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 216 Atk / 144 Def / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch

ignore anything dice says, this set would've owned. who was prepped for this? nobody. it's actually a cool 'mon to mess with given that its a somewhat solid offensive rock resist, doomer check, and potential beater in one. bd up on the momo switch and watch things drop.

didnt play much or well but here are a few cool things

[WITH HOT GIRLS] (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Used this against Luigi and the goal was pretty much to have a solid Water immunity and Tyrantrum/Durant Check in one slot, you know what Poli is supposed to be doing. Protect + Toxic is very nice however since it let's you beat Alomomola and have some sort of recovery as well. Protect is also cool against Max Speed Abomasnow since it allows you to always outrun after he megas since he loses the speed and you aren't forced out. Focus Blast also does a lot to it.

Next Grips (Sigilyph) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Used this against Meru since i assumed he would bring something fat and Flash Cannon would have broken down an expected Diancie and made it vulnerable to my Exploud. Also 2HKOs SpDef Tisse.

Death Classic (Rotom-Mow) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

I noticed Rotom-Mow could be a nice Burn spreader and i needed it not to crumble to Abomasnow so i gave it Hidden Power fire and Rozes suggested i used Yache berry as well and that worked out amazingly against a Sharpedo :))

Hey guys, gonna drop some of the cool sets I used in the Wolfpack's RU teams. I think a lot more of my teams focused on interesting combinations of mons but there were definitely some creative sets we used that deserve mention n_n

Drapion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Joey used this week 2 in the SD Spam team I built, this set is basically regular sd drapion but it drops poison jab for ice fang to lure flygon, which shuca berry aids in pulling off successfully. Cool lure, it unfortunately didn't see much use that game and shuca didn't even save it from an ohko by camel good lord.

Emboar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Heavy Slam

I used this for the team I built for Alan with the malamar, basically I didn't think scarfboar was necessary or even as helpful as other sets to the team, so I started working on a lure wallbreaker set. I noted that with EBelt Wild Charge emboar can scare off a lot of water types that try to come in, and flygon can get lured with the combination of Flare Blitz + Superpower if you bluff a scarf. I noted Malamar enjoyed diancie being removed (and fairies in general) and that it may try to switch in if you scare off emboar's other primary switch-ins, so I decided to try Heavy Slam in the 4th slot, and it worked out perfectly in the game :)

Afterlife (Aurorus) @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Refrigerate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Freeze-Dry

I love this mon so freaking much. Other than Bronzong and Registeel, barely anything enjoys taking its hits, Hyper Voice is super duper strong and freeze dry smacks those bulky waters trying to come in. Icicle Plate allows it to bluff specs and switch up moves, which can be useful with not only its ice stab, but to lure mons like diancie with flash cannon (which was honestly used very rarely but meru likes diancie) and steels/fires with earth power. It's also handy in its ability to check stuff like fletch (which aboma can't do, for example), and having actually really solid bulk (especially special bulk) in general.

Autonomy (Rhyperior) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Not really so creative (I think a lot of rhyperiors should be running ice punch), but I thought i'd throw it out there. My team didn't have good switchins to the special variant of flygon, so the shuca berry allows me to take the hit much better, even if i'm weakened, and KO back with Ice Punch. In my match it allowed me to tank an earth power from camerupt on the switch, which was kinda useful.

Scrafty @ Coba Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Head Smash
- Dragon Dance

I find scrafty to be really lackluster, but this set I have been able to enjoy with the support of screens (which make it much more viable for scrafty to grab multiple boosts). Head Smash hits fairies still extremely hard as well as smashing togetic and fletchinder. Coba Berry here is to lure flying types like acro fletch or air slash sigi, which can stop riolu (and scrafty) from sweeping.

Riolu @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 Def / 8 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance
- Copycat

The ultimate meme. If this thing gets a free shot and has its counters removed, all it needs is a turn to SD and another to hjk before copycat will run through unprepared teams. I've actually swept entire teams with monster :D

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Yawn / Charge Beam / Sand Attack

I find that the 4th moveslot on jolteon isn't always super important, and can be left open to fun stuff if you don't need signal beam/shadow ball. I opted for yawn on my meme team because I can spam it and eventually force something to take me out and fall asleep, giving riolu the opportunity it needs to grab some boosts. On Joey's week 1 team I put charge beam as the 4th moveslot, but he opted for sand attack instead LOL.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit
- Encore

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Yawn

Not an original Accelgor set but it works neat in combination with this Jolteon set. While a fast pokemon like Jolteon already appreciates spikes, with Yawn it can force out its normal switchins like Steelix or Camerupt for more spikes damage. Or in case I see spikes wont be helpful i just take a megalix out with final gambit for jolteon always nice to get out of the way n_n.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Dazzling Gleam
- Work Up
- Roost
- Baton Pass

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 96 Atk / 176 SpA / 236 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

A different take on the normal TogePedo Nastypass core with a mixed variant instead.

Amoonguss @ Eject Button
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 96 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Dugtrio @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Hidden Power [Fire]

A cool trapping core i was working on at the beginning of SPL. Too bad Eject Button doesnt work if Knock Off is used on Amoonguss instead of any other move. The idea was to have it switch in on Virizion or nonscarf durant, trap them with Dugtrio, then proceed to take them out with the appropriate move.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave

Not "creative" per say but pretty underrated, used it against 49 week 4 (sharpedo meta) and it ended up on New breed's semis team (which I built Oo)(not sharpedo meta but still good). I think dual status is Registeel's best set as it performs super well against offense (shoutouts t wave), while not being totally dead weight against defensive teams. It also counters stuff like Venu and Diancie which are pretty threatening. Registeel gets a lot of shit for being lix bait, which is sort of true, but its also actually pretty good at wearing lix down with seismic toss, as lix has a relatively low base HP. Spread is just jump point in SpD, rest in Def, doesn't really do anything of note. So yeah, use registeel, its better than bronzong c:.

I never played RU but i'll post some ideas or things that kevin used :P

Diancie @ Choice Specs
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I told FV to use this vs meru wallahi it's FIRE. Nothing can really take the proper coverage move of Diancie and moonblast is generally pretty spammable. I think the speed is to outspeed mola but I forget.

Mesprit @ Tanga Berry
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

Icey tea used this vs ginku I think. it was my team tho and this is a cool alternative to hwish mesprit cuz twave is always rewarding imo-

Rotom-Mow @ Miracle Seed
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

idk how uncommon this rotom set is but yeah kevin used this vs 49 and it's a cool alternative to choice sets cuz it can switch moves and then hinder switch-ins with wisp oo

Houndoom @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

twist to standard NP except it nails shit like poliwrath or alomomola. Kevin used this vs llamas I thought it'd be cool but he didnt even get to click solar beam D:

ok that's all I really did that I can remember. :D also ru players plz use sturdy specs magneton in ur worthless tier its the best or scarf blastoise

Hey, been extremely busy with finals the last couple of weeks since my SPL run ended to post at all on forums, so sorry if I've been holding off on this for long. Here are a few cool sets

---------------------------------------------------------​

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Healing Wish

By far the favourite mon I got to use this season. I think it all started with me looking for an ideal teammate for Swords Dance Drapion against 49, and passion gave me the idea of using Musharna as she brought it against me while doing a bunch of random matchas. And good lord I was so hyped to use it when I realised everything it could offer. What it served for is for the most part giving SD Drap a second opportunity to break through the opposing team thanks to Healing Wish support, while being able to constantly pivot out of 3/4 of the mons that strongly pressures out Drapion on offense, such as Special LO Flygon, Scarf Medicham, offensive Virizion, LO Sigilyph, Gurdurr etc.. which is something Mesprit fails to do, thus alongside a great Twave spreading support. And overall I think everyone can claim that it did its job perfectly throughout my match. EV spread ensures it handles the whole threats listed below, as well as offensive Venusaur in the right scenarios (might lose to first turn poison+rocks). Really underrated Pokemon though that definitely should see much more use on bulky offense teams given all the support it can provide for those.

Durant @ Salac Berry
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Another very underrated set: SubSalac + Baton Pass Durant. Basically still the same Pokemon, with its annoying Speed tier and fearsome STAB+Superpower combo to deal with on offense, but with moreover the ability to adapt its gameplay against litterally any playstyle, Substitute + Baton Pass for one, lets you get past any kind of counters that is brought to the table given you get the good receivers, I've been using many ones such as Abomasnow, Virizion, Gurdurr, Mega-Camerupt, Druddigon, boosting Slowking sets (Calm Mind, Nasty Plot whatever). All those threats that turn out with 2x their effectiveness under a substitute, and pretty much always ends up on a strong wallbreaking process to the opponent's side. Salac Durant however can easily win games on its own late game against offense squads (archetype of x passive check x faster/scarfed pokemon), as it perfectly did against pokeaim week 3 and against myself later on the season as Ginku decided to use it against me. fun fact salac berry also boosts accuracy. it never missed 0 hits out of 8 in both games after berry activation oo

Venusaur @ Lum Berry / Black Sludge / Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Sleep Powder / Knock Off

Used this against atomicllamas week 5, as I've noticed a quite sheer weakness to fast sleep induction on his builds as well as 49 pointed out the week before. However I also noticed that he's been relying quite a lot on steel-type pivots as a whole in his previous games, such as Bronzong but particularly Registeel, as self-explains the post above omfugod's. Basically what the set was meant to do was still acting as a bulky water-slayer, but with on top of this the ability to get surprise damage chips on the two walls listed below without necessarily relying on trappers, which again fitted the purpose of my build really well. Unfortunately though llamas' team turned out to be very passive so it didn't exactly show off, all I had to do with my Venu was to throw out hits under rocks pressure apply in order to win, as checks were already severely crippled. Leads me to the point though that you should only be storing this set for tournament prep, like don't be a retard and spam this piece of shit on ladder like eonx does lol

CAZADOR (Flygon) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

King. shoutouts Laurens for the nick =P hate kushalos and his av max def bold tangrowth though X(

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 192 Atk / 64 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Focus Blast / Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

I've been looking for something able to strongly punish current meta trends like diancie/grass resist cores especially after seeing that sorta weird week 4 when everyone decided to bring stall teams (._.) Not really much insight behind it despite its a massive fuckup vs. bo teams which Luigi kept having a trend for. Pretty much an offensive Venu with even less switchins alongside a strong priority to pick off faster targets (sigilyph, meloetta, durant)

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Scald

Not creative per say but Colbur Berry mons are imo mandatory in any RU balance team given how threatning dark-types are in this meta. Sharpedo was still in the tier at this time and i was overall very scared of current flavours like Knock Off+Iron Tail Sneasel/Absol as my main pivot in that team was being SR Diancie. Colbur Berry makes sure jellicent serenely stays in (and prevent itself from a pursuit trap) against those and cripple them all with will-o-wisp.

oh and shoutouts to lighthouses passion vape nation (-) Robert Alfons Pearl Feen for helping out with cool ideas and playtests before midseason, I really had up to 0 support at RU in my team so that really helped out :o also big thanks to HJAD, im glad my managers listened to me and bought you at mids, having someone that shared my motivation and give me faith on my builds every week was the best I could ask for <3 special shoutouts to Meru for being a massive bitchass who obviously has to end up in the same UUPL team as me, dont forget to post your sets btw c:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)