Supreme Overlord @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The greatest late game sweeper in ADV unless you choke a dick and think the opponents gengar is at 100% after rock sliding it the turn before with ttar. huehuehue.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Reuniclus (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

this is basically what won me the match against soulwind for finals. twave support + reuniclus is really awesome because it allows you to outspeed stuff like tyranitar (crunch), jellicent (taunt), reuniclus (cm war) etc. hidden power [fire] is useful for luring scizor, although this is a slot that can be changed. with spikes and twave support there aren't many things stopping reuniclus, and i think this was pretty clear on that match. the fact i ran 0 evs on speed were probably the reason why i didn't attempt to cm earlier, so i definitely recommend running like 8 or 12 lol.

Already done but thx for the rate, if you feel free for some advices it might be cool ==>http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/foetus-in-the-desert-bw-ou.3520402/

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Substitute

I used this set vs marcoasd but never ended up showing it on the game.
Substitute Tauros can actually be key on a lot of RBY games. The ammount of people who sack a Pokémon versus Tauros so they have a free switch-in to the mon that will beat it is insane. Like for example when your opponent has a sleeping Alakazam and your sleep inducing mons are dead. He switches it in expecting to death fodder it, but you get a free sub. You can also be a (BAN ME PLEASE) and try to sub on paralyzed mons hehuehuhueh, also really cool when your opponent has a frozen mon.
It's not the best set ever, as Blizzard does have a lot of uses and status moves do pass though sub in RBY, but it's definetly interesting to try out.

I'll post more after shitting on hantsuki(jkjk i'll lose p badly :[ )

When night falls, she cloaks the world... in impenetrable... darkness.
A chill rises from the soil and contaminates the air...
Suddenly... life has new meaning.

Dunkelheit (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 56 Def / 156 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Now that I've got those lovely Burzum lyrics out of my system... this was originally a standard specially defensive set, I tweaked it endlessly to fit the needs of my team and I'm quite proud of the end result. This set is usually found on bulky balance-ish teams and excels at walling offense to hell and back. However those teams don't exactly tend to have stellar lead matchups against super offensive stuff such as Azelf and Aerodactyl because Hippowdon is helpless and the alternative, Zapdos, has to run in fear as well (unless you run a bulkier Sub Discharge set... which I almost used!) so you're on the back foot right off the bat. This led me to use Jirachi as my lead. However I immediately saw a need for Defense EVs - what if the Azelf is CB and just blows me up turn 1? With the given EVs it tops out at 99%, meaning Jira is down but not quite out and can find a place to heal later in the game (Protect and SG paraflinch go a long way, not just Wish). The Defense EVs also let it do a ton of other cool shit...

- you will screw over any Dragonite lead.
- you don't have to run from Mamoswine lead; an Adamant EQ tops out at 90% and Jolly LO only has a 44% chance to kill. Keep in mind the vast majority of leads are Jolly Sash.
- not necessarily related to leading (although they are occasionally seen there), but boosted Gyara/Nite/Tar wish they could OHKO it with EQ.
- lead Aero EQs become laughable.

I think the best thing about it is that it appears to be a standard SDef Jira and there's no real way to figure out it isn't until it tanks your physical attack. For example in SPL it survived an LO Aero EQ at a range where SDef would've been killed pretty much twice over. However, make no mistake about it - this thing is still bulky as hell on the special side. Suicune Hydro Pumps, Shaymin Earth Powers, Gengar Shadow Balls - they're all shrugged off, letting Jira do the job it was originally intended to do.

The Speed EVs outrun max Tyranitar as any Jirachi should. This isn't just important to Iron Flinch it on an attempted late game DD (don't want to Body Slam in case of Lum), when using it as a lead you want to retain the advantage over it that Hippo/Pert would've had. ScarfTar runs from it obviously but you want to get something out of the exchange against a Sash lead (and giving up a free DD to that rare variant would be embarassing), like Hippo/Pert would get SR alongside it. Outspeeding it and getting an Iron Flinch not only can bluff Scarf but it can deny the SR it might go for expecting the special Occa SR lead.

The last thing I'll mention is that this as a lead retains the advantage Hippo/Pert have over Zapdos. Not by beating it 1v1 - though I'm sure it could if it had to - but by sitting in against it for a turn or two, threatening paralysis on the incoming Heatran/Infernape/Flygon if there's a turn one U-turn (there won't be, they expect the Occa SR and try to toss out the Thunderbolts as they are meant to), and getting Hippo/Pert in on a TBolt/Roost (if it's non-Specs obv) for the early SR.

16 Attack breaks 0/0 Gliscor's Sub with Iron Head 100% of the time so it needs Sand Veil kicking in to keep one up.

Last edited:
Some other cool ADV things:

Super Onion @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Dual pass celebi, goes really well with agility metagross and starmie.

Gluttony @ Lum Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 188 Atk / 120 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Counter
- Shadow Ball
- Curse
- Self-Destruct

A nice variation of triangles' SD + curse lax. Counter to fuck over CBtars and other heavy hitters like metagross that try muscle past at +1.

Fish @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Awesome offensive tank that fits onto offensive teams. Dry baton pass to rack up spikes damage and scout. Paired this with CM + bp lunatone for maximum damage!

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I didn't really use anything particularly exciting this SPL in terms of novel movesets. I guess I'll post something about how to think about mons well-suited for BP teams.

Smeargle @ MiracleBerry
-Spore
-Baton Pass
-Agility
-Spider Web / Substitute

Spore is what lets you get passes off. Spider Web lets you get around multi-Phaze teams, Sub lets you mess with teams that rely on Explosion to beat BP. If Spider Web is prohibited, a move like SToss or Super Fang might be good to wear down Phazers. SToss lets Smeargle force a Phazer to Rest on its own, whereas Super Fang actually breaks Kangaskhan's Substitutes and puts things in KO range for other teammates faster. There's also ideas like Dbond to give you hope against a rampaging CurseLax, but that's not something you should rely on, and you should be able to keep enough pressure on the opponent to prevent that setup in the first place. The top 3 moves are the bread and butter, though, and what puts the opponent on their back foot from turn 1, thereby allowing BP to actually work.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
-Mega Kick
-Earthquake
-Belly Drum
-SelfDestruct

Mega Kick prevents DE recoil stalling while still possibly OHKOing Cloyster (~50% if it hits). PP and Accuracy suck, but you shouldn't need more than 8 tries anyway, and if you're using BP, you're already living on the edge, so 75% shouldn't be too big a turn-off. The aim is to blow up on Skarms to make the lives of Marowak and Scizor a lot easier. Or blow up on other Lax to make your own life easier. Protect might be an option for the last slot to deal with the Explodey types and to get enough Lefties recovery to make Double-Edge a more viable option. Snorlax didn't see a ton of use in my BP romps, it's enough to make me wonder if one would be better off running CurseLax here for a last-ditch attempt at a sweep if the rest of the team fails. Likely with Sleep Talk to also allow it to take otherwise-debilitating Sleep for the team.

Machamp @ MiracleBerry
-Cross Chop
-Rock Slide
-Hidden Power [Bug]
-Meditate

Meditate avoids forfeiting Speed boosts. MiracleBerry gets around Snorlax LK shenanigans. +1 HP Bug OHKOs Exeggutor. This can struggle to get past stuff like Nidoking, so if your Smeargle faces off against one, you should probably be Sporing it. Machamp is instrumental in shooing out (or heavily damaging) opposing CurseLax, especially in tandem with Scizor SD boosts.

Marowak @ Thick Club
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Hidden Power [Bug]
-Swords Dance

HP Bug is necessary to allow a cold OHKO on Exeggutor, thus forcing switches that allow for SD boosts, which in turn mean going for game-winning Rock Slide flinches against Cloysters and shit. This isn't a radical set, but it's a key one for BP teams.

Scizor @ MiracleBerry
-Hidden Power [Bug]
-Swords Dance
-Agility
-Baton Pass

MiracleBerry lets you come in on Eggs more freely, and stay in on Laxen more freely as well. SD is needed to keep Lax from just switching in; otherwise, Substitute might legitimately be better. This thing is pretty necessary for the Lax- and Egg-shooing properties, both of which are super important for BP teams.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
-Thunderbolt / Thunder
-Hidden Power [Water] / Hidden Power [Ice]
-Agility / Growth
-Baton Pass

The most expendable member imo, but it's important to be able to shoo away Skarms and Cloysters, and it's good at whittling away at Raikous, too. HP Water because it actually hits Phazers. I had experimented with MiracleBerry here, too, to be able to pass against Eggs, but as the HODOR game revealed, Leftovers is necessary if you want to make the Raikou matchup work. The biggest annoyance is that this lets Snorlax in cost-free to set up Curses unless you try to go immediately to Champ or something in anticipation of that.

Growth passing Jolteon is also sort of expendable on GrowthPass teams, but less so. Thunder is preferred there to 3HKO Lax.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
-Charm
-Baton Pass
-Mean Look
-Confuse Ray / Moonlight

Charm gives teams more reliable recourse against CurseLax. Cray lets it actually get a pass off and maybe deal with DrumLax, though Moonlight is nice to give a team some longevity (which a BP team with Umbreon is likely trying to achieve). You're probably doomed against CurseDrumLax unless you also run a Misdreavus, though.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
-Belly Drum
-Earthquake
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Rock]

A BP team needs at least one heavy hitter (Machamp or Marowak) to prevent opposing DrumLax from just rolling over you. Especially if you run Umbreon. However, Quagsire is a good mon to run on a BP team to give you a reliable, unparalyzeable, long-lived switch-in to Electrics. On these slower BP teams, in practice you tend not to sweep with something at +2, but to break an important wall (e.g., Skarm) with your BoomLax (which is much more necessary for this type of slower AgiPass team) and then just overwhelm the opponent with an unending stream of Pokemon forcing instant action with either Drum or BP. Quagsire's ability to tank as much as it does makes it well-suited for this sort of long haul.

Clefable @ Leftovers
-Frustration / Headbutt
-Belly Drum
-Moonlight
-Hidden Power Ground / Fire Blast

Fblast would allow you to shoo off Skarms and stuff, but HP Ground lets you sweep better once Skarm is dead. This is the main drummer to have in mind for "reliable" BP teams, as it has a broad slew of solid matchups and can heal up, which means you're not doomed if you predict incorrectly. Headbutt can dodge Exploders for you, although the lack of OHKOs can be annoying.

Midreavus @ Leftovers
-Mean Look
-Confuse Ray
-Perish Song
-Protect

Goes over a Belly Drummer on a slower BP team. The objective is to ensure you're well-covered against Lax. Missy actually kind of works on a BP team because it forces immediate action and can possibly destroy a Phazer for you.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
-Hydro Pump
-Substitute / Growth
-Acid Armor
-Baton Pass

Growth isn't needed for Agi Pass teams, but it is mandatory for Growth passing teams. Sub can be a better alternative for AgiPass to prevent Exeggutor from screwing with you. Main role in BP chains is to shoo out Skarms and Steelixes, pass boosts that beat Snorlax, and wear down any non-Suicune Phazers. You could run Roar over one of the boosts to get past Suicunes.

Espeon @ Leftovers
-Psychic
-Growth
-Morning Sun
-Baton Pass

Instant recovery makes this the easiest GrowthPasser to send in on things. Pretty handy for GrowthPass teams, Ttar's annoying but that's what passing to Vap helps you with. On GrowthPass teams you also generally want to run an LK CurseLax or something, which gives you the opportunity to put Espeon's most annoying Phazers to sleep.

Flareon @ Leftovers
-Fire Blast
-Growth
-Baton Pass
-Zap Cannon

Zap Cannon nets paralysis and potential passes against annoying Phazers, particularly Suicune. This is a fun one to use on your Eeveelution theme teams.

Entei @ Leftovers
-Fire Blast
-SolarBeam
-Hidden Power [Fighting]
-Sunny Day

This is my favorite target for GrowthPass teams right now. It outshines Moltres because it has real-life coverage and can actually take on a Zapdos if need be.

most of the innovations already been dropped but i'll post a few cool sets....

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Psych Up

let lax think he can win and then psych up on him. Could maybe run a more offensive spread and set with this but the team i have it on likes the bulk

Ludicolo (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

Beast. Resists all of meta's shit and is a decent option for teams that want sand gone (use with dug). Very nice I like.

Camerupt (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magma Armor
EVs: 136 HP / 60 Atk / 252 SAtk / 56 SDef / 4 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Standard Camel. This set tries to break through waters with the good ol toxic protect combo. nothin too crazy.

Hell I'll even drop some cool teams for you peeps

http://pastebin.com/fSfWgdEV (this team is oozing innovation)
http://pastebin.com/8wZwdsWy Kinda my own take on cm spam just with baton pass. zap and starm at +1 are scary. I like ada dug cause fuck blissey...
http://pastebin.com/jdiet04R pretty similar to the team above...

Shoutouts to Durrr Smurf. , maybe we'll be droppin some more innovation next yr

#Freelatias

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As someone who was pondering a GrowthPass chain team (not just the double Electric thing I fucked up against you three weeks ago with Vaporeon), my thought was three-attack Eggy. Between STAB attacks and HP Fire I believe you can hit everything, unlike something like Entei/Moltres which has to setup against Waters/Rocks and struggles to touch Dragonite or the rare fellow Fire-type. Giga Drain healing for a million is also pretty cool if you're not also passing Agility and thus taking hits.

edit: golden ninja

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't play any BW during SPL, but I built a ton of teams, so I just wanted to share some ideas I had when building.

Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Lovely Kiss
- Focus Blast

Just a cool little something I started using after looking through the Pokemon list in the builder for offensive, relatively speedy Ice-types (pretty much for their ability to run through many Sand balance builds in the current meta). Jynx stood out to me with its awesome ability, which let it grab free switch-ins to stuff like 'Toed, Tenta, Bulky Starmie, Jellicent, and Keldeo to an extent (the Scald immunity in general is great), and like Toxicroak can heal up in the rain while throwing around pretty powerful LO-boosted attacks. Additionally, Jynx serves as a Gatr n' Azu check on rain, being immune to Jet, which is a scenario that I've only come across once but it sounds mighty nifty on paper. It gets all the coverage it needs in three moves (I prefer EBall>Psychic STAB to hit various stuff like Fatmie, Jellicent and Rotom-W hard, otherwise Fatmie in particular just forces you into a standstill) and sits at a very solid speed tier, outpacing any non-Scarf Landorus-T and dangerous stuff like Hydreigon. I opted for Lovely Kiss + 3 attacks over NP just because of how great sleep is in BW, and Jynx already has the firepower to break stuff w/ LO alone (not to mention it never gets to set up NPs), and being able to beat Sucker Punch users like Toxicroak is pretty coolio as well. I paired this with SubWisp Moltres because the combo was something I really wanted to try out, and they didn't disappoint. Overall, a pretty dumb Poke, but it's got a larger niche than one would assume and is a fun option on Rain balance/offense

Nidoking (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

I found Nidoking when looking for hazard leads. Nidoking stood out with access to both Rocks and TSpikes, a pretty unique combo, and I believe is the fastest user of the two? Nidoking naturally forces a ton of switches, so you can use that to your advantage to get more hazards up. It even gets Taunt, which helps me shut down Custap Skarm, Breloom, n' whatever else have you. Ice Beam was kinda obligatory to grab hits on Lando-T, Chomper, etc. and the rest of the set kinda speaks for itself (I believe the SpA guarantees the OHKO on bulky Land-T? I don't quite remember). But yeah, nice little hazard lead, you can use Earth Power to laugh in lead Terrak's face but Ice Beam prevents the dangerous stuff from setting up, letting this be a last-ditch stop to random sweepers like DubDance Land/Thund-T. I also like the decent bulk n' longevity because Nidoking can absorb TSpikes, which is pretty dope for the offensive builds it'd ideally be used on, kinda like Garbodor.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SpD / 220 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

SpDef Cruel. I'm assuming a lot of people use this already, but just wanted to post here anyway since various stuff like Hydreigon is getting big again. Phys. Def does have its uses but you're really gonna be using Cruel to check stuff like Rain Keldeo or Volcarona or Heatran etc. so why not give it a little more SpDef to help it tank these things, y'know? Obviously the set and speed are adjustable (I like running a shitton of speed on Toxic Cruel personally) but yeah, neat little tech for the current meta.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry / Shuca Berry / Lum etc.
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

This is not innovation by any means, but pulling off a sweep with one of these things is so satisfying that I thought I'd just drop it for the chance that someone hasn't used it yet. Requires a ton of team support and is RKed by almost everything but that's where the berry /ideally/ comes in! But yeah, this 'Mon is pretty dumb overall, haha

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

A lot of people forget Heracross gets Pursuit! (or at least, I did when I found it in the builder .-.) But yeah, this kinda speaks for itself, but the "surprise" trapping of Lati@s n' Starmie is pretty nifty, and Bug/Fighting is generally a dope STAB combo in BW, so you can slap this on HO teams and it'll perform! Kinda! maybe.

Also some cool techs to try out are Scald on Scarf
(w/ a set of Hydro / Scald / support / Beam), besides giving you a more consistent option it allows you to fish for burns on stuff like Ferrothorn and Tentacruel if your team requires it. Thanks HnC for showing me this tech!

Knock Off on
is also really cool because like ORAS, there are a lot of Ferro vs. Ferro Leech Seed spam situations where removing their main source of recovery is great. Knock Off in BW is just a pretty underrated move in general and you can really damage stall/balance teams with it.

Last edited:

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Now that it's over:

Lapras (M) @ (No Item)

- Sing

- Blizzard

- Hyper Beam

- Thunderbolt

This is one of the sets i love the most on this meta. Not sure if it's innovative or not, but not even Sing Lapras is on the data so fuk it. The amazing thing about Lapras is the low ammount of switch-ins RBY has to it. The only real good check to it is Chansey, and that's where Sing kicks in. After putting Chansey to sleep you should have a ton of momentun(as long as no early wake up) because of how annoying that thing is. Hyper Beam is also really good for catching Jynx off guard(100% KO at 50%), which is probably the Pokémon people would try to bring as sleep fodder, in case they expect Sing. With proper predictions, this set is fucking deadly.

Alakazam (M) @ (No Item)

- Seismic Toss

- Thunder Wave

- Recover

- Counter

Alaka with a twist. I started noticing how the only thing lead alaka does most of the time is just thunder waving or seismic tossing the opposing lead that puts it to sleep, so i imagined how amazing it would be if i can wake up lategame and catch something off guard with Counter later. This can be really crucial, because for example, if a Tauros uses Hyper Beam to kill one Pokémon and i bring Alakazam in, the Tauros would switch out most of the time fearing Thunder Wave since i'm faster. Then, thanks to the RBY Counter mechanics, Counter wrecks whatever he switches into. It can also help vs snorlax and etc. It's pretty interesting, again not the best set ever as Psychic is amazing and helps vs chansey and etc, but it helped me a lot on spl finals. Thanks to Isa for the inspiration on that one, got it from the Gengar :]]

Now that it's over:

Lapras (M) @ (No Item)

- Sing

- Blizzard

- Hyper Beam

- Thunderbolt
I used to run this set in the paraslam days, just to give an idea of how good it is. Hyper Beam finishes Slowbro after a CH Thunderbolt (but maybe this is gonna be less important with Slowbro outspeeding Lapras after using TWave+Amnesia).

Hyper Beam Starmie's best set is Psychic/Hyper Beam/Thunder Wave/Recover. It can outspeed Alakazam with special drops and finish it with Hyper Beam.

Golem can now use Substitute>Body Slam. It can't paralyze Starmie switching in, but Body Slam's chance is not that good, and the damage it deals to Exeggutor is pretty disappointing.

Last load!

Nidoking @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Morning Sun

Counter Nidoking was pretty popular in SPL and Picollo and I busted out Tiba's Thief variant once. However I like this set the most! I'm sure it's been done before but I've never even seen it mentioned anywhere. Anyway I was playing Hantsuki for the finals of the GSC UU tour, chipping away at Nidoqueen and out of nowhere it uses Moonlight. I was like yo! does Nidoking get something like that? and to my delight, it does. I found that many times when I was pivoting around a Zapdos to hopefully get my Snorlax in on a non-Thunder, I would take an HP Ice and it would do way too much for my liking, and it wasn't easy to heal up. Plus, I was super not cool with LK often not pulling its weight since Zap kept eating it up. This led me to try MS and it has been really cool, especially in longer games. It's valuable to screw with Raikou, whose team often isn't fond of facing Nido and thus likes hitting it with HP or Crunch a few times to get it out of the way. 8 PP is a bit lame but I rarely needed to be super careful with my uses of it, not too much of an issue. I usually used LK Lax on the teams I made with this dude, sometimes Sleep Egg and once Hypnosis Gar. My double Nido team will terrorize GSC someday...

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Screech

Picollo and I used this set a lot. I really don't like PursuitTar without Crunch, Gengar/Misdreavus/Exeggutor/even poisoned Starmie mess with it too easily. I once used Fire Blast over Crunch to keep the SE hit on Egg while toasting Skarm/Lix, figuring I'd use Screech and the threat of Rock Slide to get full Pursuit hits on the ghosts, but Crunch's consistency won out, especially since a well-timed SpDef drop is a lifesaver. Screech is something I remember someone posting on Mount Silver, I think it was James G? I really like it because not only can forced switches be capitalized on with Pursuit, but it also rips Snorlax to shreds, whether last mon or not (where Roar would fail, unless relying on Crunch SpDef drops is your thing).

We also used a Cursing ResTalker on one team. Not unheard of yet not your everyday Tar either, for pretty good reason of course but on occasion it really pulls its weight with the unexpected recovery and absorbing LK from Lax is awesome. I remember it was quite threatening to VIL's Blissey/HazeNite stall.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Defensive Zap is still amazing amongst the offensive variants that populate the meta, especially since it checks those rather well, especially with Light Screen. LS is really cool with Skarm; it can now survive Magneton TBolts for Spikes/WW fun. Snorlax that comes in on Zapdos can't hope to scratch Skarm with Fire Blast either. Other things LS does worth noting are slowing down CM spam, temporarily making your team less shredded by the increasingly common offensive Starmie, letting you switch Tyranitar into Regice/Blissey more easily and potentially easing a PursuitTar's trap against Gengar. If you've got a Heal Bell Celebi it's worth considering Roar or Toxic over Sleep Talk.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: nothing specific, I changed mine around a lot but they were always heavy on hp with a mix of atk and def. bit of sdef wouldn't hurt for some rotom though and can save your ass if ttar hits you with ice beam/flamethrower (not fire blast), plus you can survive offensive cune at a bit lower hp instead of having to be at full. small amount of speed works to spore skarm, which will also give you the edge on cbtar if you, like, double into it and want to safely spore. also occa gross as much as I doubt that situation will ever arise.
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch

I almost forgot this beauty... I didn't use it in SPL but it has gained the slightest bit of notoriety since the idea popped into my head around the start of Tour 18. Jirachee affectionately refers to it as cancebolaids! I posted about it several months ago in a different thread, forgive me for c/ping but I feel it gets the point across

"on my offensive team I needed a solid switch in to grounds + rocks (so gliscor/pert/hippo/ttar/aero, flygon sorta), and to pressure stall a bit more. Breloom is great at doing this, but I wanted him to stick around or I'd get worn down after switching into Scarftar or LO Aero a few times. So, I wanted Leech Seed on it. However I didn't want to run SubSeed for a few reasons. First of all, that set loses to Gliscor, which is unacceptable. Second of all, if I wanted Loom to stick around, Sub probably wasn't going to see a ton of use. Third, I wouldn't actually be able to damage Swampert and Hippo, which was half the reason I was putting Loom on the team in the first place. Leech Seed + Seed Bomb it was. I obviously wasn't going to use unprotected Focus Punch as my Fighting STAB, so I figured... why not Mach Punch, extra priority never killed anyone right? It's been ridiculously useful, picking off weakened things left and right. Revenge killing a fully set up SubPetaya Empoleon that would otherwise sweep me off my ass is pretty high up there on the ecstacy scale."

Focus Punch and Protect are good alternatives to Leech Seed.

Hydreigon @ Wise Glasses / Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Hydre has been very popular lately with its classic set that emulates DPP MixMence. This is the set I like to run, yes I know it's actually walled by other Hydreigon (and my nemesis, The Kyurem). I found that Hydre liked to come in on Hippo/Land-T/Glisc on balanced sand stuff and really disliked the guessing games between trying to disintegrate the ground I was staring down or nailing an incoming Heatran with Superpower, so I came up with this "tech" as the kids seem to be calling it, Surf. I also took a cue from the more recent Taunt set and used Dark Pulse as STAB, hitting Jellicent is awesome instead of having it Recover in your face and hitting Celebi hharder is also nice. WG/EB instead of LO because I really dislike the recoil in the omnipresent sand, plus sometimes you feign choice (might be more believable with U-turn > Roost). My friends like to give me a hard time for this set but I like it.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Toxic / Protect / Dragon Tail

Not quite the Scarf Water Spout set favored by TFC but eh. Tentacruel is everyone's favorite Rain Dish spinner, however I loved Blastoise on my 2011 rain stall named Bloodletting and I love it now. Tenta is a bitch, he has to run from some of the most common SR dudes - Garchomp, Landorus-T, and the slightly rarer but very relevant Mamoswine (I'll add Donphan while I'm at it). Blastoise doesn't take any of their shit and fearlessly stays in to pummel them while keeping your side of the field rocks-free; very helpful for rain abusing dudes like Tornadus, Dragonite, Thundurus-T, Volcarona, Moltres or even that Jynx posted by Tokyo Tom! Unfortunately Foresight is illegal with Rain Dish. I recommend pairing Blast with Amoonguss or Toxicroak for the TSpikes absorption and Keldeo counter.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
here's the spread I used on bkc's breloom

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 160 Def / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb
- Mach Punch

god knows what it does

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
oh god not the psychicless alakazam
Snorlax that comes in on Zapdos can't hope to scratch Skarm with Fire Blast either.
This is actually a big reason why I like to keep it on Blissey in GSC too. Light Screen is generally a better setup move anyway for Marowak or whatever but the fact it makes Skarmory an ironclad answer to Snorlax, which is otherwise a pretty obvious counter since even very weakened Snorlax can potentially switch in on Blissey to get a Rest off, is what clinched it for me the last couple teams I've built with the egg. The team aspect is better than forcing yourself to use Growl just to annoy Curselax.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Hi all, just thought I'd share some cool shit I took this SPL.

Little Woman (Jynx) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam

This is an awesome lead, matches up rly well in particular vs the super common Zap lead. Sleep something, and start setting up. Hits obscenely hard and punches holes. By no means is this an endgame sweeper! Use it to gain a lot of early momentum, scout and all, and chunk some shit wit IB. With a good matchup and an accurate Kiss, you can kill 3-4 mons without even switching, no joke. Blissey is a bitch though.

Yee (Venusaur) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 60 SAtk / 24 SDef / 108 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Yet another sick lead (leads DO matter in ADV!, pick carefully). Outspeeds CBtar with given spread, can sleep something, scouts a shitton early with Leech Seed. HP Fire chunks skarms. Can do a lot of work mid-game with Spikes.

Vincent (Smeargle) (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Spikes
- Spore
- Endeavor
- Will-O-Wisp

Continuing in the vein of sleep leads. I never took this guy to SPL, but thought about it very strongly multiple weeks. Spikes Spore Endeavor @ Salac is standard but the kicker is WoW here. Sleep one thing, burn that TTar which tries to set up on you, or the like. This is genuinely a fuckin beast of a set. Could also run TWave for extra Gengar fuckery.

Deathwing (Charizard) (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Fire Blast

Mixed SubPunch Zard is a monster. Get yourself in the same way the usual Zard does, but this time punch a fat blob or even a TTar in the face. Dug is a bro. Can also do work late like a normal Zard, but this guy's role leans towards midgame.

ananASS (Ludicolo) (M) @ Miracle Seed
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Grass]

A different kind of Ludi. This one's a lot like Kingdra, but the kicker here is the STAB hp grass with seed. It allows you to shit on your fellow Waters, something that Kingdra can't lay claim to. Not gonna say this set's mine, but nobody else has posted it yet.

Dennis (Salamence) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 216 Def / 20 Spd
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Not as 'out there' as the others, but it serves a specific purpose. It's fatmence for teams with Mag, no need for Thrower here. I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that fatmence in general is good.

Basilisk (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 16 SAtk / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Recover
- Toxic
- Surf

Double status milo. If you're not scared of Mence, why not run this. Set's particularly cool, because people see one status and certainly don't expect another. Usually I like to throw a sleep move out first, then Toxic something that hates it.

Bludgeon (Marowak) (M) @ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Hidden Power [Bug] / Double-Edge

Not like I invented Marowak, but it's rly good. Pass an Agility to it late-game, or use it on a para-heavy team (or both!). Last slot depends on how much you hate Celebis.

The Butcher (Tyranitar) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 8 Spd
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Roar

Pursuit TTar with Roar. Allows you to do something after you've done your job. A really good Spikes-shuffler, and emergency defensive utility.

Cat Black (Jolteon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 8 HP / 176 SAtk / 72 SDef / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Roar
- Baton Pass
- Toxic

Toxic Jolt - massive surprise factor here. Jolt is a mon to make plays with; bluff shit, roar shit on predicts, and this set's so good at catching Flygon and Pert and all. SDef investment is there as I had it on a team that enjoyed a defensive check to Gengar. Don't worry about SpAtk loss, you still oneshot shit like Off Star.

Viscero (Raikou) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 208 HP / 80 SAtk / 44 SDef / 176 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Ice

Spread belongs 100% to BKC but since he hasn't posted it, I will. Fat kou is strong kou. Can set up completely free subs on the likes of Gar and zap, they dont break. Can take a Pert EQ iirc, and also that Danilo rachi body slam isnt breaking this sub :D. Still suffers from a lot of the usual kou problems tho, but kou is a monster. If using HP Ice, take 4 evs from Satk and stick them in Def.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)