Tournament Post-PMPL Discussion Thread

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
PMPL_Banner.png

Art by Albatross

This is the Post-PMPL Discussion thread, to post shoutouts, Obituaries, Team dumps, really anything to discuss the PMPL.

Congrats to the following teams for making playoffs

Phantomire Gourgeists(managed by Regic Boat and Vipotis) for qualifying in 1st Place
turnTier 1 Boomers(managed by Lord Zorz and KeroseneZanchu) for qualifying in 2nd Place

Close Combat Comrades(managed by Paulluxx and Rezzo) for qualifying in 3rd Place
Workers Union of Gensokyo(managed by anaconja and cityscapes) in 4th Place

Good luck in playoffs!​

idk if we'll do any "All-Star Game" type things during the break week, but I put together an All-PMPL First and Second Team to recognize and congratulate people on their stellar performances in the tournament. Just like real All-Star recognitions, I definitely snubbed some people (especially FEUU, all the performances were very close), so just know that even if you're not on this list, you did a great job.

Yoshi's All-PMPL Teams
All-PMPL First Team
M4A
: Sticky Fingaaa (PG)
FEUU: analysis geek (PTP)
HGOU: Rezzo (CCC)
REST: Scoopapa (MM)
ALT: SiceXV (WUG)
JOLTOU: dex (WUG)
NBDH: Quantum Tesseract (CCC)

All-PMPL Second Team
M4A
: adem (WUG)
FEUU: Tapler (PG)
HGOU: Voyager (T1B)
REST: zxgzxg (PG)
ALT: Clasmia (PTP)
JOLTOU: Xrn (T1B)
NBDH: XxSevagxX (T1B)

I also originally put recognition for Managers on each team, but honestly any of the 4 sets of managers that made the playoffs have a case to be the best or second best, so just put who you want in that slot

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
This was my first teamtour, and while my team didn't do so well, I had a ton of fun, especially during my games, and am very happy with having this as my first teamtour experience.

first of all, big thanks to pupugugu and Hematemesis for drafting me and giving me a chance. You guys were great managers and never stopped having faith in me.

bynum - So happy we had a chance to meet, you're really cool and testing with you was a blast, wishing you luck in everything going forward.

Clasmia - Is it really a DuckeryDoodle post if I don't s/o Clastia? There's not much I can say that I haven't said already, you've been a great friend and it was great to be on a team with you.

analysis geek - Another teammate I'm happy to have met, I don't understand FEUU at all, but you seem pretty good at it and you were always down to help me test.

The Dragon Master - You were the only reason my week 5 game was anywhere near close, you're a great builder and a fun person in general, enjoy this replay of me beating you as usual.

beauts - I don't think words can describe how much I appreciate you. You've helped me so much these past couple months, and I'm so grateful to have had a chance to build and test with you during OMPL.

Amberr - You're super funny and under appreciated, thankful to be hosting OMFL with you.

UT iapt - My green (and yellow) smogoncord friends, talking with you guys is so much fun, and I can't imagine you guys not being there.

Gravity Monkey Nalorium Mossy Sandwich megaspoopy000 - The rest of my PMPL teammates, we didn't interact much, but you guys are all awesome and I hope things go well.

The last thing I want to do is show off the team I used Week 3 vs Dex
:orbeetle::beedrill-mega::landorus-therian::Samurott::hydreigon::starmie:(Joltemons OU)

Gravitas was one of the first things that caught my eye, as I wanted to bring something cool and fun that would also hopefully catch dex off guard. The team is pretty straightforward, it's just a Sticky Web team with Gravity, but I had a ton of fun building it and think its pretty good, so wanted to share.

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
dead chat so im gonna write the eulogies of the two dead teams

1654982028465.png

manicunos were managed by the two pet mods juggernauts earl and gluke, both being very strong players in feuu, alt, and jolt, so it was a no-brainer that they both self-bought. besides that their draft seemed to consist mainly of upbidding the usual picks while ensuring they bought scoop, the strongers player in restrictions. gluke fulfilled the 45k scoop prophecy by upbidding his own comanager which was hilarious but definitely a blunder draft-wise as they could have probably gotten better players with the extra 7k. in the end though manicunos pulled out with a pretty formidable team with moretto in mfa and nihilslave in ndbh and uhhh other people playing different things (why did guttrainer go for 10k and then never play lol).

the records show a different story though. earl got critically haxed every week and became the player with the worst record in all of pmpl, g-luke had a mixed record in alt and feuu, though scoopapa pulled through with a solid 4-1. moretto became (justifiably) jaded with the controversial mfa tourbans and took a couple weeks off leaving amber to play in his stead, which didn't go too well. nihilslave is a good ndbh player but had tough times vs sevag and qt as well as presumably some scheduling issues which made tgtz play tttech which didn't pan out either.

overall manicunos was prepped to be one of the top picks but failed due to unforeseen circumstances - mfa tiering decisions, awful rng, and not freeing tol ultimately led to their demise.

1654983268657.png

ptp was managed by pupu and bolivia, two strong mfa players. in the draft they snagged clasmia, bynum, and mossy, all very solid players, and then made (in hindsight) crazy overpays in gravity monkey and nalorium. by then they were running out of money and bought analgeek, voden, and duck. paul labeled them "one of the most well-rounded teams in the tour" and placed them at the top of their pr but i was skeptical of the absolute lack of ndbh players and sketchy feuu/jolt slot.

while my ndbh prediction turned out correct (they went winless) i dont think anyone expected them to go winless in mfa as well. their strong hg slot shockingly went 1-4, and the jolt slot players in gravity/voden/duck underperformed as well. a skim through the replays shows gravity making a couple questionable teambuilding decisions such as using a mega with an uncoded ability and building hail without accounting for the defensive behemoth wishiwashi. voden had an interesting team but got haxed, and duck put out good work but had trouble against the strong jolt players dex and beaf cultist. however, clasmia and surprisingly analysis geek had good records, and mossy did decent as well.

overall a lack of ndbh slot that stood up to the menacing SR players and lack of performance in mfa, hg, or jolt led to their quick downfall. if they spent some of their overpay money to bid on someone like onyx i could see them getting more wins.

good luck to the other teams but lets win this union!!

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Well, guess it's finally time for me to make the big L post for the Manicunos Manicunos. Not gonna beat around the bush, we really could've done a few things better even if we were also God's Least Favorite Team™. For starters, tour managers, we all really should've done a mock draft lmao. goofy ass prices all around and I know a mock could've fixed that. Secondly, G-Luke and I could've had a more comprehensive draft plan, not that the team we got was bad at all. Lastly, I know I could've done better myself. I deadass went 0-5. Sure I was haxxed hard for most of those games but games 1 (mattered) and 5 (mattered only for my pride) were genuine misplays on my behalf. Also feel I could've helped prep Joltemons better, it clearly worked great week 1 and subsequent weeks suffered from lack of support at times. Anyways some shoutouts

G-Luke fuck you for upbidding me. anyways happy you came on as co-manager, you were goated at alt even when robbed and generally were a real one. Lots of good support all around

Moretto thanks for filling the unwanted m4a slot + being based

Scoopapa worth the extra 7k, great record and a support god for the tiers you knew. Glad I got to play on the same team as another CS main

447323a hexcode you are the best for filling the hg slot I deadass don't know what we would've done otherwise

Nihilslave also the best, but for hackmons. Gluke and I know nothing about hackmons so you really came through

swag god Amberr goated pilots, swag god you started building some real heat in jolte and amber thanks for wet week

Tol we should've unleashed you

guttrainer TGtz8920 sorry for not fielding you guys much (or not at all for gut...) but great to have you guys on regardless

anaconja thanks for helping me prep week 2 that team should've won

ViZar thanks for the in-server support too

Copen if i could give anyone a billion dollars i'd give it to you so i would have the motivation to make 2 billion

Not sure if I'd want to manage next year but a manicunos manicunos redemption arc would be pretty epic. Team dump here

tldr: was a fun time even if I bombed. The team was great. gourgs for 4th

Rezzo

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Pre-Contributor
Hoenn Gaiden So Far... (or, How I Learned to Never Make an Analysis Post of This Length Ever Again)

Five weeks, five games to analyse! The PMPL was a good chance for me to prepare a range of competitive teams to be used in high-stakes matches. My biggest interest going into this tournament was to try and expand as many traditional ADV OU archetypes as possible, inserting new tricks into the old models and poking holes in the understood conventions.

This aims to be a combined analysis of my formed teams as well as the matches they were used in. It will not so much be an analysis of my opponents' teams / performances, but I'd very much like to offer anyone who played against me, or even helped to prepare against me, the opportunity to extend this discussion further.

Not much more prefacing to do here, so let's have a look at each series:

Week 1 vs LRXC

:rs/deoxys-speed: :rs/zapdos: :rs/metagross: :rs/gengar:
dugtrio-alola.png
:rs/octillery:
:rs/skarmory:
talonflame.png
:rs/flygon: :rs/tyranitar: :rs/gengar: :rs/blissey: (paste)

Team Analysis:

Into the first week, I decided on bringing what at first glance, looks like an uncompromising balance team consisting of defensive Flygon and Talonflame. The latter of which seems like a reasonable choice - it's blisteringly fast and outspeeds a significant number of Pokemon that the likes of Moltres cannot: the most notable being Dugtrio, Starmie, Gengar, Zapdos (plus Galar), +1 Tyranitar, Jirachi and Celebi. Talonflame has a relatively low special attack stat, but even with a neutral nature, max STAB Fire Blasts deal a significant amount of damage to its key targets once chipped. It also has reliable recovery in Softboiled, and a multitude of utility options like Will-o-wisp, Toxic, Taunt, Flame Body, and most notably, Rapid Spin.

This team is built with 4 spike-immune members, meaning that the necessity to run Rapid Spin is pretty low. Instead, I opted for Hidden Power Grass to aid in breaking past opposing balance teams that feature Swampert.

The other members are fairly standard for a team of this structure, except for Perish Song Gengar. Quite simply, I opted for this move on Gengar as a catch-all for preventing lategame setup sweeping, which has a significant amount of ways to present itself in HG OU. It most notably restricts Curse Snorlax heavily with spikes on the field, but it can also be used as an emergency stop to the likes of Pokemon like Raikou and Dragon Dance Tyranitar.

Game Analysis:

The game starts with me leading Skarmory into LRXC's Deoxys. Judging from LRXC's lead, I identifed that I am probably facing an offensive team, and decided to make getting spikes up a priority. LRXC establishes 1 layer while I achieve 2, after which LXRC brings in Metagross on my full health Blissey. On turn 5 I was hesitant on checking Metagross with Skarmory, as it's possible I was facing a physical or mixed offence team using Choice Band Metagross as the Skarm lure & removal. Losing Talonflame instead to an Explosion would also be less than ideal, as it is my most reliable form of speed control to check LRXC's seemingly speedy team. Despite all this, LXRC getting the attack boost from Meteor Mash on my switch to Skarmory could spell disaster for my team. On that basis I switched to Talonflame, which was met with a banded Meteor Mash while a fortunate Flame Body activation burned LRXC's Metagross.

An interesting sequence of turns occured shortly after where LRXC and I both made double switches to gain momentum and scout information. LRXC manages to trap my Tyranitar on turn 8 but opts not to attack in the event that Tyranitar survives the hit and 1HKOes back. Metagross is sacked into my Tyranitar's Earthquake, and Deoxys enters but subsequently fails to land a 1HKO on my Tyranitar, which is able to KO back with HP Bug.

At this point I realised I'm in a pretty good spot if I can disable Zapdos as much as possible and lower its health down into Talonflame's Fire Blast range. Gengar trades on turn 11, and winning is mostly a matter of landing Fire Blast hits here with Talonflame as nothing for LRXC can sustain health with sandstorm up. Flygon is revealed into a unfortunate Thunder Wave attempt from Octillery and I opt to start using Rock Slide repeatedly into LRXC's team as I have a significantly higher amount of defensive utility at this point in the game, making this line of play rather difficult to punish. Flygon successfully chips down Gengar and Octillery into range for Talonflame, and Talonflame finds a safe way in versus Gengar on turn 22 and cleans up with Fire Blast to win the game.

Week 2 vs Bynum

:rs/zapdos: :dp/roserade:
talonflame.png
:rs/suicune:
crabominable.png
:rs/jirachi: (paste)

Team Analysis

For bynum I brought a bulky offence style team, which would fit the description in the ADV Archetype Analysis as a "Bulky Offense with Immediate Offensive Threat".

The immediate offensive threat (and star of this show) is Crabominable; a Pokemon which allows traditional ADV OU team structures to cut several corners, most notably the need to traditionally run a rock resist for Tyranitar and Aerodactyl. This is because of two factors; Crabominable has access to a base 132 attack STAB Mach Punch which can easily 2HKO both targets with maximum investment, allowing it to bypass Rock Slide's flinching factor. But on top of this, Crabominable can safely check both thanks to the Fur Coat ability doubling its defence stat and effectively 'resisting' Rock type moves.

Adding Choice Band on top of Crabominable's ability to wallbreak allows you to cut corners even further - suddenly Skarmory and Defensive Swampert become unreliable answers because of Superpower, and as you will see in the match this team was used in, CB Crab is strong enough to 1HKO offensive Swamperts.

The rest of the team provides support for CB Crabominable to wallbreak and discover a win condition - Zapdos carries Thunder Wave to enable the Crab to potentially throw Superpowers and Rock Slides more consistently. Zapdos, Defensive Jirachi and Roar Suicune together offer a rather solid defensive synergy which offence teams may struggle to break - Zapdos also pairs defensively with Crabominable rather well.

For this team you want to get the Crab in as frequently and as safely as possible. Carrying a spinner here massively aids with this as the Crab is going to be taking Spikes and Sandstorm damage pretty frequently and has no passive Leftovers recovery to hold its ground. And while its defence stat is sky high, it is far from a stop gap.

Roserade was the free slot on my team - Spikes are not required to get value from Crabominable, but Rose's ability to Leech Seed (and also scout status spreaders) is appreciated for this team's teammates. Jirachi also carries Wish to pass around and keep health high for when this team wants to play passively (like against a Drill Peck Skarmory + Blissey pairing for example).

Game Analysis

Thunder Wave Zapdos opens vs Bynum's Blaziken. This is a good position despite knowing that I'm most likely slower, as I can either force out the Blaziken or scout its set. Bynum answers with Blissey - I eagerly pivoted my Roserade into an anticipated status attempt, however this is punshed by a Blissey Ice Beam.

We danced around for a few more turns trying to scout information. My primary goal is to cause as much pressure as possible with Thunder Waves in hopes that Bynum eventually responds differently and I catch something. Bynum keeps his cool though and Blissey absorbs once more. Both of us are able to get one Spike up, and by Turn 10, Leech Seed is on Skarmory and Talonflame threatening both a Spin and a Fire Blast. Bynum makes an ultimately greedy play, opting to neither switch nor Protect against Talonflame, and is punished by Fire Blast immediately KOing Skarmory. This is a fantastic result for me as I am likely to win the Spikes war from here and enable Crabominable into the battlefield a bunch of times.

Turn 11 I invert the greed and decide to Rapid Spin into Blissey - my thought process being that I can push for an endgame result and close the game here if Bynum has minimal answers to the banded Crab. However, Calm Mind Blissey is in fact revealed; something that paired with Blaziken might actually cause me some serious issues. Immediately I switched to Suicune to prevent Blissey from getting out of control by forcing a Roar onto it. Bynum makes a good play and lands two back-to-back Thunderbolts on Suicune, comfortably 2HKOing.

This sacrifice positioned Crabominable to come in at full health and demand response to a Choice Banded Superpower tearing something apart. Bynum pivots to Swampert, which after a Spike was 1HKOed immediately, and Gengar follows in. Much like in LRXC's game, Talonflame once again pivots into a contact move and is rewarded with burning the Gengar, putting me in a position to relax about landing damage on Gengar as the lack of Sandstorm puts Bynum in a pretty comfortable spot walling my team - Gengar has the right toolset here to really cause some problems if a Will-o-wisp connected on Jirachi in the back.

From here it seems like my gameplan is mostly roadmapped. I can continue to spread paralysis to annoy Blissey and preventing CM spam from clawing the game back, all while pivoting to Crabominable to dish out heavy damage in the process. Turn 22 saw Jirachi Body Slam Paralyse Blissey - I made a rash choice to throw in Crabominable here and bank on Mach Punch being a suitable option to clean the game vs the current known threats. However, the Crab is in safe on a Thunderbolt (no paralysis), and because Blissey is paralysed, I'm positioned very well to midground Rock Slide and capitalise on the flinch chance while also hitting Gengar trying to absorb the Superpower. Gengar comes into the Rock Slide and it connects, KOing.

Blaziken was the next response to the Crab from Bynum. It was pretty hard for me to pivot here, so I decide to bring in Talonflame just to see what Bynum's response is, and it actually happened to be Substitute to my surprise. This actually leaves me in a bit of a pickle - thankfully Talonflame is faster here and is able to Recover off Blaziken's damage, however it is not able to Flame Body burn the Blaziken nor is it guaranteed to land Fire Blast to break the sub. I'm also extremely conscious that I mustn't knock the Blaziken into both Blaze and Salac Berry range as this could possibly end the game for me. As a result I decided I will try to stall out Fire Blasts, as this seems to be what Bynum wants to be doing. Bynum manages to crawl into Blaze range but just outside of Salac range. Talonflame fortunately manages to avoid disaster on Turn 34 as it connects a Fire Blast while dropping to the Focus Punch.

Again I go to Zapdos and attempt to paralyse. Blissey absorbs, and on Turn 36 Bynum makes a pretty solid double switch into Blaziken, knocking it into Salac Berry boosting range thanks to the earlier Spike on the field. However, since I Baton Passed rather than hard switching, this enables Crabominable into the field to use Mach Punch. The Crab sweeps from here against Bynum's last 3 in Blaziken, Blissey and Tyranitar to close the match.

Week 3 vs Voyager

:rs/skarmory: :rs/dugtrio: :rs/celebi: :rs/charizard: :rs/heracross: :rs/suicune:
:rs/cloyster: :rs/snorlax:
golurk.png
:rs/illumise: :rs/raikou:
kleavor.png
(paste)

Team Analysis

This team is a deep-sea-style build aimed at picking apart balance and bulky offence styles by offering constant offensive pressure for as many turns as possible. I say deep-sea-style as all six of the team's members feature a Hoenn Gaiden change, pushing the team build far along the extreme edge of established archetypes from ADV OU.

This squad consists of a Spikes Lead; 3 Explosion users in Cloyster Snorlax Golurk; a reverse trapper in Illumise; the fastest "sub-CM" user in Raikou (though of course replacing CM with Tail Glow); and a sand-immune Endure + Salac Bery user in Kleavor. It's a very heavily momentum-based team which doesn't mind sacrificing teammates to allow the next one in to pick up the slack.

Again, Spikes are not essential on this team as the squad doesn't have a particularly good chance of keeping them up all game. However, Cloyster fits nicely in that it can lay spikes while also wearing down Skarmory's health early in the game without much recourse, also opting to explode on other would-be answers to preserve momentum and allow the next teammate to come in without taking an attack from the opponent.

Lovely Kiss Snorlax is an important glue as it can create a lot of space for teammates. Lovely Kiss has a tendency to land on Tyranitar and Skarmory, and this compliments Focus Punch pretty well. Double Edge combines with Custap Berry and Selfdestruct to provide constant wallbreaking damage, as well as a midgame momentum swing should you opt to come in later and boom after Spikes and/or Sandstorm damage.

Illumise is primarily a support option for Raikou and friends in catching and revenging an opponent's Dugtrio. However, with a Choice Band it can still provide some wallbreaking utility for other teammates to come in and clean up. Knock Off is the 4th move option to put Skarmory and Swampert on a timer should they find their way through walling the likes of Golurk and Kleavor.

Substitute + Tail Glow Raikou and Endure + Salac Berry Kleavor are a pairing which, once Dugtrio has been removed from the game, offer to try and clean up the opponent's remaining team members. Should Raikou find itself a free turn, it can become incredibly difficult to wall with sky-high Thunderbolts being thrown around. Hidden Power Ice is the move of choice to hit opposing Celebi. Kleavor hits a pretty convenient 403 speed stat after a Salac Berry boost alongside running an Adamant nature, allowing it to outspeed key targets such as Aerodactyl, Agility Metagross and even +speed Deoxys.

Game Analysis

Voyager and I run immediately into each other both running a Spikes lead on our mixed offence squads. Rather than opting to Spike immediately, I made an aggressive switch to Snorlax to try and sleep Voyager's Skarmory as this would net me quite a lot of momentum. Instead, Dugtrio is slept, which actually isn't an ideal outcome - I'd rather it was KOed so that something else can be slept later on, but it does mean that Raikou has free reign for the entire match if I can prevent a sleep turn from being burnt by Voyager (a fairly simple task given my squad's offensive prowess).

Voyager then on Turn 5 reveals a Substitute Celebi - a Pokemon my team is not very well-equipped for dealing with. I tried to shake off Voyager's progress by looking for a Leech Seed miss, but with a Spike on my side of the field this is not going to be a long term effective maneuvre, and by Turn 8 I opt for hard switching to Illumise (at the risk of a Psychic being thrown at it) to try and reverse the pressure. Voyager makes a good Baton Pass on this turn and reveals Charizard, another potential problem.

I couldn't really switch here to check Charizard, however since Dugtrio is asleep, sacking Illumise looked to be fine as its purpose is pretty much redundant for this match. The knocked-off Petaya Berry indicates a Substitute set (akin to Bynum's set from the previous game on Blaziken). Raikou then comes in on the sack on Turn 10 - it would seem that I'm in a good position to drop behind a Substitute and see what Voyager wants to respond with, but there's no defensive response - Voyager immediately broke the Substitute.

By the end of this turn it feels very clear to me that I'm facing some sort of offensive structure on Voyager's side as well due to the response offered. An option here would be to Tail Glow; Raikou is guaranteed to live even Modest Flamethrower as long as it doesn't burn or crit. The game is likely to be won at this point given the ideal outcome. This is still, however, far too greedy for me to do at this point; Voyager hasn't revealed the other two attacks and they could easily be anything between Overheat (which can KO), Blast Burn (which will absolutely KO), or even something unorthodox like Earthquake. Based on this, I felt like I had to Thunderbolt and avoid risk. Charizard is removed from play.

Voyager now reveals they have a Heracross and a Suicune while I manage to place a Spike down. I can see that Raikou with a free turn will win the game after a Tail Glow. But not to be hasty, I used Raikou to wear down everything into range of Kleavor's Swarm Lunge (Voyager could have easily opted to Roar on Turn 15 for example and pushed back pretty hard).

Voyager seems to be able to sense by now that my Heracross answers are somewhat limited. I threw Golurk into the lines of Megahorn and immediately boomed it just to preserve momentum, and Raikou takes Skarmory. From here my win condition is to Endure into Voyager's Heracross' attacks to guarantee Salac boost. It's very likely that Kleavor and Heracross both speed-tie, and going for Endure nets the best possible result to guarantee I could outspeed and KO with Rock Slide.

Turn 20 saw Raikou dodge a Megahorn, enabling two Thunderbolts onto Heracross before being taken out by the second Megahorn landing on Raikou. Heracross is now within Lunge range, meaning I don't have to risk a Rock Slide miss. But, for better or for worse, Heracross is also within Swarm range if running Swarm, which turns Megahorn from guaranteed Salac pinch range (without crit) to guaranteed OHKO against Kleavor.

Based on this info, I see it's probably worth going into Snorlax to discover whether Voyager is running a non-Focus Punch Fighting move or not, and take a potential Megahorn miss here rather than where it might actually swing in Voyager's favour in the event of a miss. Megahorn actually does miss to Voyager's demise, and Lax KOes Heracross with Double Edge. The game from here is pretty much won; Snorlax trades a Custap Berry boom with Celebi and Kleavor comes in on the sleeping Dugtrio to finish the game.

Week 4 vs Copen

:rs/heracross: :rs/swampert: :rs/jirachi: :rs/salamence: :rs/dugtrio: :rs/tyranitar:
:rs/milotic: :rs/donphan: :rs/roselia: :rs/tyranitar: :rs/gengar: :rs/dugtrio: (paste)

Team Analysis

Knock Off spam stall. Milotic and Donphan both Knock Off different targets - Milotic is able to hit the likes of Celebi, Jirachi and Zapdos whereas Donphan is able to hit stuff like Gengar, Skarmory and Swampert. Spikes are mandatory - Roselia is a bulkier Roserade with less offence, suiting this team's needs adequately as it is able to hit some essential benchmarks when it comes to surviving physical hits. But, it is much slower and its Giga Drain deals much less damage than Roserade's. Milotic and Donphan are very susceptible to status, and Roselia runs Aromatherapy as additional support for this squad (and also alleviates Milotic's pressure to run Refresh).

Tyranitar's sand combines with the Knock spam to cause chip over the course of longer games. Dugtrio is essential as Pokemon like Celebi and Jirachi can easily go for a greedy CM in the midgame and spiral out of control since Roselia and Tyranitar are not adequate special walls here. But, again, the Knock Off utility does mean that their strengths as checks are amplified somewhat.

Taunt Wisp Gengar asists in spinblocking as well as preventing the opponent from stall mirroring in general.

Game Analysis

I decided to lead here with Milotic to aggressively put Spikes leads on a timer. Copen surprisingly leads with Heracross, something I'm not expecting to run Spikes, and immediately pushes for a good position with a strong Megahorn into Milotic. Copen attempts to preserve momentum with a Spike as I retreated to Donphan. The spike is immediately cleared and on Turn 5, my Roselia is pressuring Copen's Swampert who has a strong Earthquake. Mistakingly instead of trying to lay a Spike, I go for Giga Drain on Turn 5 directly into Jirachi. This ends up being my best chance all game to lay Spikes (as we will see later).

Both Copen and I respond fairly passively for the turns to come. Turn 8, my Tyranitar lands a lucky first-turn burn onto Swampert, meaning that I have a safe window to get Milotic in and heal off the Heracross Megahorn earlier. I also wanted to avoid a desperation Ice Beam thrown out in attempt to catch Roselia. But, rather than playing all too passively, I decide to read the incoming Jirachi and knock it off to prevent it from walling my whole team (and surviving a Dugtrio EQ if it will). Knock off successfully does land on Jirachi while Milotic's health still remains rather shaky, though I can potentially look for a second chance on a Swampert pivot later on.

Turns 11 and 12 Copen reveals CM + Psychic + HP Grass on Jirachi, and I am now aware that my Tyranitar is not going to be a consistent wall on beating this. Thankfully I'm able to Roar Jirachi before it starts controlling the game, and Salamence is shown. Copen and I double a couple of times and Copen very cleverly catches Roselia here as I attempt once more to land a Spike. Suddenly now my gameplan no longer revolves around passive Spikes damage and I need to start thinking about my best method of progress, which seems like it'll come from Milotic Toxic, Knock Offs, and Gengar Will-o-wisp.

Gengar also looks like it has a great matchup into Copen's team once these 5 have been revealed. I was able to get it in on the Dugtrio trap while Copen takes a Will-o-wisp burn on Tyranitar. Anticipating a Pursuit, I go to Milotic to find a turn to Recover, but Copen actually reveals Rock Slide and lands some painful chip on Milotic. Now suddenly Milotic is so low that it's useless if it cannot Recover, although Leftovers heal shows Milotic to outspeed meaning that a Rock Slide flinch will not need to be risked either. Milotic Recovers back up to full and my squad is back to a stage where Heracross and Salamence will need to land multiple crits in order to break.

Turns 19 and 20, Copen seemingly attempts to close the game early by going to Jirachi and using Calm Mind. I need to make a very risky play here and pivot Dugtrio onto Jirachi to stop this from happening, had Copen been running max Special Attack Modest there is a chance that both Psychic or Hidden Power Grass can KO in this range. However, Dugtrio does this safely as Copen tries to set up, and Jirachi is 1HKOed by Dugtrio, easing my team of a lot of pressure.

Roadmapping the win condition seems to begin here. I just need to Knock and/or Toxic the remaining threats and the game will be won. I also need to be conscious of not letting Milotic drop towards Dugtrio's Earthquake range. Gengar is looking all but solid for the taking.

Copen on Turn 22 seemingly made a misread of the gamestate and tries to Focus Punch predicting an incoming wall, while Dugtrio stays in and Earthquakes. Now Copen's gameplan pretty much relies on Salamence cleaning past Gengar, Donphan and Milotic. By Turn 29, Milotic is able to Toxic and Knock Off Salamence while Recover stalling it in the Sandstorm. Turn 32 Copen tried to land a Rock Slide flinch in order to make a way back into the match, unfortunately this doesn't happen and Milotic solos the remaining members of Copen's team to take the game.

Week 5 vs 447323a
:dp/dusknoir: :dp/toxicroak: :rs/swampert:
eelektross.png
golurk.png
:rs/metagross:
:rs/tyranitar: :rs/blissey: :rs/skarmory: :rs/claydol:
jellicent.png
:rs/ledian: (paste)

Team Analysis

TSS Balance with Ledian seemed to me like it could easily produce great results, as Ledian is rather fast while sporting a pretty colourful special movepool containing STAB Psychic, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Ice Punch and Giga Drain. Magic Guard is also a very good reason to use this Pokemon, as it can come in on the face of all kinds of passive damage and immediately threaten something offensively.

That leaves the other team members just being ways of offering chip damage for Ledian to clean up with. Jellicent is able to land Will-o-wisp burns effectively due to Surf being able to threaten common Wisp pivots, while Skarmory and Blissey pair up to also spread poison.

Lead Subpunch Tyranitar attempts to capitalise on a strong lead position by getting behind a Substitute against the likes of Zapdos. It runs Earthquake as a way to chip Metagross, Jirachi and other Steel types alongside Claydol to put them into range of Ledian's Fire Punch. Everything else about this team is fairly bread and butter; Claydol is running Shadow Ball just as a midground for hitting an anticipated Ghost type switch in for some extra damage (as EQ cannot hit Gengar).

Game Analysis

447323a, who I will refer to as 'hex' for the rest of this analysis (lest I go insane), leads on the front foot here with their Sand Veil Dusknoir into my Tyranitar. To scout intentions, I Substitute and Rock Slide while hex reveals Wisp and Earthquake. Dusknoir can honestly pull apart my team here if it is running the necessary moves, so in order to reveal info from hex I aggressively pivoted to Blissey and attempted to land Toxic to prevent Dusknoir from controlling the entire match. Dusknoir is in fact running no Fighting type moves to my relief, meaning that Blissey is able to heal stall it and force a different response.

Turn 5 has Toxicroak come into Blissey. Skarmory is a relatively safe pivot here, and I start setting Spikes. Dusknoir is revealed again, and I continue to remove it from the match as quickly as possible by waiting for its health to deplete with pivoting and Protect stalling. Not much of note happens until Turn 17 where I greedily pivot Ledian on a predicted Toxicroak - this doesn't happen although I am thankfully met with a resisted Earthquake dealing only minor damage to Ledian.

However, Turn 17 sees me make an absolute blunder that could have cost me the match. In a damage calculating fat-finger-frenzy, I deduce that Ledian has a guaranteed KO at this range when in fact it absolutely does not, and Ledian hit Dusknoir into 1% HP while Dusknoir took Ledian out with Rock Slide. I was left with very little offensive pressure and two revealed Mons that laugh at Tyranitar trying to enter the battlefield. The obvious pathway at the time was a need to stall out as many turns as possible to claw my way back to a win condition.

To my fortune, hex doesn't seem to have revealed a solid Skarmory + Blissey answer as of yet. To get things going on Turn 18, I try to land Toxic onto Swampert for the second time; it misses while Jellicent is Roared in. Jellicent then misses Will-o-wisp twice in a row, and suddenly this uphill climb is revealing itself to be an entire mountain. Instead of trying to land status all game, it's clear that I need to try and land all 3 layers of Spikes as a.) they won't miss, and b.) hex hasn't shown a Rapid Spin user as of yet.

Skarmory makes its way back in safely on turn 24 and is able to gain 3 layers. Hex, still without a solid Skarmory response, tries to wallbreak it with a combination of Swampert and Golurk, and on turn 31 finally a Toxic connects to Swampert and puts it on a timer.

The next serveral turns have a loottttt of midground plays from the both of us. Hex seems to need a way to outread my next play multiple times as Eelektross does not reveal Focus Punch. Despite this, I always attack into Eelektross to deny it this last gambit of wallbreaking past Skarmbliss while the rest of hex's team takes TSS passive damage for the next 15-20 turns. Metagross is dragged into the match on Turn 37 and isn't holding Leftovers. I had to tread carefully here since Choice Banded Meteor Mashes will sweep my entire team. The Metagross annoyingly misses on Turn 39 and I am denied of the information I need to win the game, however the Spikes layers have already reduced Metagross down to 50% health meaning that if I can catch it one more time with Skarmory it might not be relevant to this game.

Turn 52 reveals vital information - not only is Metagross not Choice Banded, but it is also pretty slow meaning that Jellicent can answer if it enters battle safely. This doesn't at all happen as Jellicent is met with a critical hit Rock Slide on turn 59, and I am now relying on two things; my Tyranitar to not be crit by Meteor Mash, and for hex's Metagross to not be running Brick Break.

To my luck, Brick Break is not revealed on Metagross and no crit is landed. Tyranitar just about clinches an almost-thrown match to clean off Eelektross with Rock Slide and win the game.

Summary

tl;dr: just look at the teams analyses first paragraphs for an idea of the team concepts.

There's more Hoenn Gaiden games to come next week as we enter the playoffs for the PMPL, so look forward to those. Would be interested to see what the previous 5 weeks have taught us all and how people's preferences have aligned now.

ggs and special thanks to Paulluxx bynum EeveeGirl1380 LRXC Lord Zorz for the idea testing, practice games, that sort of stuff, and Monai SuperEpicAmpharos Voyager for hanging around on Discord and discussing things. Sorry LRXC and Bynum for the comparatively shorter analyses, your games were longer ago and thus more of a distant memory, but still very much as engaging to play.

More to Come..?

There's a lot of threats, ideas, cores, synergistic concepts in HG OU that haven't been discussed for months. Stay tuned for a post on those. See you later!

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
ONE GOURGILLIONS WINS!!!!!! WOOOOO YEAH !!!!!1!!

Jokes and annoying memes aside, I just wanted to say that this tour has been a blast and I have none other than my team to thank! Gourgs, you guys were the most spirited, supportive, and skilled premier league team I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of (1). Thank you all for your weekly motivation and energy, we couldn't have made it this far without each and every single one of you. Even though we did not get the SEVEN GOURGILLION WINS we wanted, you all shattered my expectations and did amazing things and should be proud of yourselves.

Onto more specific shoutouts (tags dont always work on my computer so if they dont work now im not fixing them):

Regic Boat Vipotis the men who started it all. i couldn't have drafted better myself. bravo gentlemen
Tapler Thanks for helping me build my shaky Restriction teams and for pulling out the amazing tech literally every single game. parasex
Beaf Cultist also thank you for winning every time you used one of my teams it wouldve been very embarrasing if you lost with them ahahah
Sticky Fingaaa Sorry I couldn't help you out a lot but goddamn, what a performance you gave! Truly the second best M4A player according to someone I forgot who.
Copen Despite only talking about MG1 ever (please stop), you did great in HG. Thank you for covering for us there the best you could.
Darkrai Retribution Also must've been a huge jump for you but didn't seem to affect you one bit! Also thank you for learning such a wild metagame in such a short time.
TTTech Thank you for enduring 2-hour long NDBH games every week. I'm sorry for doubting Sheer Force Diancie that one time.
ry4242 thanks for covering that one hg game that was pretty frickin epic ngl
Spook NeonNitroGlycerin sorry we never got to field you lol. thanks for still supporting us tho!
DuoM2 Mossy Sandwich Scoopapa Thanks for temporarily betraying your teams and supporting the one true cause that is Restrictions by running test games with me. Good luck in finals, Duo, bring snailord webs itd be super funny
Monai MagearnaTheBoss Gekokeso Thanks for swinging by to check out Restrictions! sorry if things were broken i didnt make them go yell at the people i tagged above + tapler
@everyone who played joltemons Oh yeah, I'm on council for this too. Anyways, thanks for checking out the funny pumpkin meta! Hope you guys will stick around for more Pet Mods action!!!!!
earl hater >:(
Paulluxx Yoshiblaze DuoM2 Finally, thanks for putting this tour together! This provided a lot of helpful data for a bunch of mods and was generally great for the development of all these mods. You guys are awesome :D

ok i think thats it from me. sorry im not good at being heartfelt. see yall around

restrictions team dump coming soon,....

Voyager

He didn't notice that the lights had changed
ig i'll do a little very low effort post about hg per rezzo's request. note i didnt use a single new mon and the only team built for hg was my semis team, yet i still went 5-1. this is a good sign for the meta and shows its not too far from adv.
ill start w a brief overview of my games then do meta takes

games o:
w1
link when scoop gives it me
i brought suicune because i thought my opp would either use and adv sample or a structurally flawed team and suicune does p well against both of these. i brought defensive spin stuff because it can be hard to keep up pressure on especially someone unfamiliar with the meta. in the end suicune went in on a team built by a cg player who hasnt watched bkc say 'an adv team needs atleast some defensive backbone'. i wouldnt bring this type of team in hg because of how weak it is to shuca tar.
w2
link when scoop gives it me
this week i brought phys oriented mixmence offence. in the end i got somewhat lucky after my opponent made a...unique stay in t1. but in the end double rock resist with sustain just outlasted kleavor only offence.
w3
:skarmory: :dugtrio: :celebi: :charizard: :suicune: :heracross: vs :cloyster: :snorlax: :golurk: :illumise: :raikou: :kleavor:
rezzo game. my team had the issue of bringing a team with a loose defensive backbone that didnt have the speed to back it up. my celebi, whilst dangerous w a spike up, couldnt touch kou behind a sub and that hurt me. the real moment i lost was when i didnt sub vs illumise. got unlucky with misses but kleavor kleans anyway probably.
w4
ye sorry fuck the sprites i cba
i brought an offensive aero build i also brought in advpl. it did its job and my opponent brought lose to skarmory (+awful mon custap lax, but ill get to that later). i ended the game early with a nice bluff around my mixed suit tar to surprise kill molt. crab good tho
w5...
i was gonna bring houdini (t1 cb boom metagross) +smeargle ho, but the opposing managers didnt know what a sub was :blobshrug:
semis
protox forre+heal bell bi for jellicent. should have protected t1 but i was worried about firemag. i got a 2 for 1 trade to start the game then my 2 checks for lax+aero shut down that, but then my arch nemesis crab came out. i sack tar and revenge w dug. whilst crit is lucky i still probably win without. in the end tar last is obvious and pert cleans after a missplay w lax.
will edit my thoughts on the finals game maybe (50/50 if i can be arsed or not)

my main take about this season was that the team choice was absolutely abysmal. with almost all teams brought by lrxc, copen and hexcode being deeply flawed. bynum and rezzo also brought some flawed stuff but i think it was better overall. rezzo's stally builds in particular kind of lost to skarm gar+double switching. the records for hg were very top heavy and this could have been avoided if people had brought better teams, maybe adv samples (ik this doesnt push the meta foward, but neither does losing 3 in a row with deo speed+5 set up sweepers)
Voyager 5-1
Rezzo 5-1
Hexcode 2-3
LRXC 2-4
ry42 1-0
bynum 1-4
copen 1-4
for my team choice personally i think my w3 team was structurally iffy with weak matchups, and my w1 team too weak to shuca tar flinches for my liking but otherwise teams were sound.

I ALSO CANNOT BE ARSED WITH META TAKES RN, BUT I WILL SOON TELL U WHY CUSTAP LAX IS UNVIABLE GARBAGE.
yes this is low effort and unfinished

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Well, my matches are done. I'm sure this is going to come out like a salt post for some people who aren't as good at picking up social cues over text or haven't seen any of my rants that happened earlier this year, but trust me, it's not a salt post.

I've made it no secret on the main Pet Mods Discord (join it!) that I don't really enjoy playing Pokemon. I used to have pretty bad tilting that has admittedly gotten a bit better, but still is there enough to really annoy me when RNG doesn't go my way, even if it ultimately doesn't end up mattering. My mentality from there can end up spiraling downwards where I feel like "I literally host Restrictions people will think I suck badly if I lose," or "I used to feel like such a good player where did all of that go," or "how could I have misplayed like that I'm so bad." Just a ton of generally bad stuff that I think I may be a bit too competitive-minded to not think about during a game. It peaked at a point where I quite literally just gave up at the beginning of one of my games here because I just had another Pokemon-related thing not go my way, not gonna say which. Winning's not even really that fun for me either, the other annoyances just build up too much. I probably should have thought about all of this going in.

I honestly signed up as a player for this tournament for a few reasons that were a bit nearsighted, mainly that I wanted to support the tournament. I was pretty excited to see something big and new happening with this subforum, even though I helped decide whether or not it was even happening in the first place, so that instantly made me want to be involved. It helped that Restrictions had pretty few active players at that point and I really wanted to support my mod as well.

So, actually playing the game wasn't fun, but I can't even say I hated the experience. Was and still is really fun cheering on my team, was really cool seeing Restrictions develop even if it wasn't to a desirable place, and I still did enjoy some of the moments that came of this like the 8-0 or Earl's Jokerfication TM. There's a lot of really cool people that this tournament has introduced to our community and I couldn't be happier with that. Goes without saying that I probably shouldn't join next time though and just leave it to others. I'll probably just end up joining a team's server for support or something like that.

Rant over, so I have a few thanks to give -

• Paulluxx Yoshiblaze Thank you both for doing the bulk of running this event. I'm not gonna lie, I REALLY slacked on my duties here, sorry for that lmao
  • Monai MagearnaTheBoss Thank you guys for taking a chance and playing a new tier you've never heard about before. I hope you both enjoyed the mod in spite of its obvious problems. Also Gekokeso to a lesser extent, can't let you go unnoticed.
  • anaconja Thank you for drafting me and helping out with building pretty consistently despite knowing nothing about the tier. Hope I did what I needed to as a cheapo 8k pick.
  • Copen I don't have anything to thank you for I just felt like being annoying
  • zxgzxg Scoopapa Thank you for coming in during the later portions of the tour and helping out with building, meta discussion, and practice, and both them and Mossy Sandwich for their continued support towards this mod throughout its entire lifespan.
  • Thanking Scoopapa again for all of the work you've done for this community. Cannot be overstated how much your presence in things like coding helps this community. If I haven't said enough, I greatly appreciate it.
Said this earlier in this very thread but good luck once again to everyone else participating in the finals!

Xrn

is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
we got elimed in semis so here's my quick joltemons team dump, no clue when/if I'll touch the tier again but it was fun playing something new
https://pokepast.es/1df1fa2e5cd51b8a
everything was built by me and usually checked over by teammates or helpers (quality not guaranteed, zero test games played)
general philosophy was just use stuff that seems solid and trust myself to pilot it to wins and it worked well enough (altho I played kinda scuffed and got some luck in a few wins but that's pkmn ig)
don't have the experience or knowledge to make a VR/noms, think the tier is fairly healthy tho

s/o to my managers for trusting me to make it work and to all my teammates for putting up with me having 0 to contribute

go shifus

My team may have made it to the finals, which is still ongoing due to funny tiebreaker, but having only played for the first 3 weeks and not once actually winning, my career this year has been over for a while. That means I may as well write something out now, before the big guys barge in.

I have a few people to thank:
- Paulluxx for recruiting me to CCC, and then coaching me when it became clear I had no clue how to play Alternatium despite being council. Also thank you for putting up with my batshit insane strategies.
- Bobsican for letting me work with you in FEUU even after I stopped actively playing in the league, which meant an amateur coaching you on offensive sets.
- Thank you again to both Paul and Bob for taking up the reins in Alternatium after my… unfortunate record (and by extension thank you anique for picking up FEUU where Bob left off)
- Finally, a very special thanks to DuoM2 for approving my Pet Mod so I still had shit to do during finals lmao (and if ya don’t wanna play next year, consider running a team with me).

Close Combat Comrades are gonna get the reverse 2-0 and win the whole fuckin thing, Abilitypos better fuckin be in the next Premier League, and the Dischord Moderators (or whatever the fuck I decide to name a team) may return someday.

Deuces!

Bobsican

NatDex Ubers TL
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Now that the tour is over out of epic Union sweeps, now I can say some stuff

This was a very wholesome experience as a whole, I saw a ton of metas being developed with this fun event, and several niche mons even got spotlight in general.
Even if CCCs didn't get to the first place, we all have to agree that 2nd place isn't that bad, especially when we got as far as tiebreakers, many would've wished to be where we were at, so let's not ignore our acomplishments either.
Anyways, some thanks to drop:
Paulluxx Thanks for introducing me to the concept of tours to participate in such a big group, overall giving a nice amount of support even when I didn't have the best takes out there
RedwoodRogue While rain tests became repetitive for FEUU, they were nonetheless useful to provide basic insight of potential teambuilding issues
ViZar The little help you provided in Alt is what helped me quickly grasp the tier and shred G-Luke , a VR on the thread really helped to quickly cover stuff, if I didn't make vanilla Slowking SpD (originally for Primal Kyogre, lmao), Deoxys-S would've 2HKO'd in that one part of the match and then sweep
scorbunnys EeveeGirl1380 We may not have interacted much, but I did like the mutual competitive development in the finals, I may have barely touched Jolte beforehand, but NDOU really provides nice insight for metas that just slap more stuff to it (in which I'm decent at).
Monai I tried my best to help you in the finals and the tiebreaker as best as I could even with little prior experience to Resrictions (notably predicting Polbearab from the opponent), while we didn't win first place and all, I totally appreciate that you cooperated as well and still managed to get us this far.
anique Even if you didn't really touch FELT before the tour as far I could tell, and your playstyle may not have been the best, you still were open minded and willing to grasp the meta while dealing with my overthinking EV optimizations, and overall had a good time overall.

adem

her
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK adam M4A TEAMDUMPPPPP

https://pokepast.es/43b03918a67e5810

my favourte team i made it a rmt go like it here. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/novacane.3702389/

yasss

https://pokepast.es/0040c38b2422f923

rain this is suoer cool dont listen to any1 else mperr is the ONLY rain mega here also no kyurem so rain is BROKEN

https://pokepast.es/9c5b0b975301c0ae

this is rlly cool but i misplayed vs connie because i forgot how megas worked and threw, also loading into double dark type dont rlly help aha…..

https://pokepast.es/34656a2a12768843

brought this week 1 and didnt know brokenmtrev got triage + got mega haxed :( torn banned but thismwas cool giving me ssou vibes yass

ok hope to see more mega latias more clefable more mega swampert and MEGA BISHARP NUKED also stop coping mslowking is NOT THAT GOOD + FREE LELEL

fun tier fun pl s/o teammates and Paulluxx ausma dex spoo Lunala pannuracotta omicorio LpZ R8 Fc

anique fuck u dodged me

YASSS go team

anaconja

long day at job
first of all huge shoutouts.
cityscapes for joining me in the ultimate rabbit hole of pet mods during ompl. youre extremely funny and a very good friend
Squawkerz you didn't play much but thanks for covering alt. it was a close game
adem goated player. showed me the light of vanilla megas
LRXC UNION PROUD. definitely the hypebeast on team and it was really cool to see you teambuild. stream feuu when
dex still feels awesome that we achieved AVATAR STATUS.
Onyx Onix 7 only now did i realize your name was spelled wrong on draft. you deserve way more recognition than this
SiceXV the absolute sleeper pick. you are also extremely funny and good and you made my asscheeks rain team work somehow
DuoM2 despite what i say about restrictions it def has potential because it has nuzzle polbearab. also very solid player for 8k. see you in duomod
Mr.Bossaru contacted. thanks for subbing in w2. it was pretty funny seeing you occasionally ask the status of the union.
earl Tapler zxgzxg thanks for supporting me in feuu. sorry i brought a hax generator w4 earl (it's tapler's fault)
Scoopapa thanks for supporting restrictions
Beaf Cultist thanks for supporting jolt and also telling dex to bring samurott right before he played you
XxSevagxX TTTech thanks for supporting ndbh in the critical time of having to bring qt down
astralydia thanks for building two alt teams that one time and showing me the light of CHEETO
pannuracotta Ducky you guys are also cool

now the teams.
warning this is long.

MFA
so ive played mfa quite a bit when it was pmots on main. here was my builder. eventually i came to hate it because i tried to build stall for the longest time and toxtricity mega is the worst. of course with a non pet mods player playing mfa i needed to come up with ideas.

META FARMER 1000

apparently tr is just absolutely broken apparently i saw it in a post. mfers been losing to tr left and right. of course i had to try it. i think its pretty mid.

garbodor better keep knock off or im gonna have a joker moment

every meta gotta have their spike stack. i love spike stack. i cant remember testing this but it looks pretty good to me.

the bobsican special

every meta gotta have their stall. this is my new attempt at stall. volcanion is there to beat dhelmise mega but the team loses to silly stuff like swampert mega so its bad.

PURPLE FROG CULT

yeah yeah purple frog and all that. anyway using vanilla megas in mfa is great. manaphy in rain is a menace as usual.

eel bo idk

eels pretty nice. get a water when you switch into lando and heatran and stuff. fairly standard voltturn + crazy choice breakers.

earl fastspam special

always a tradition now to make fastspam. tsareena's mega ability is very disappointing why cant it always give you priority turn 1?

THE acidic terrain that DOESNT lose to toxicroak

acidic terrain is actually pretty disappointing: gengar doesn't need poison stab, nidoking is slow and already has the coverage it needs, and other crazy shit like roserade or toxicroak or shit are too slow and still have resists. nihilego is too reliant on meteor beam but its probably the best you can do. also corviknight dodges the acidic terrain that sucks.

RETURN OF DIMRAH PUMPKIN

dhelmise is pretty great. you have grass to give it some passive income (healing), z-parting gourgeist is a pretty cool pivot, misty surge helps you not get burned by randos like pex, healing wish jirachi can trick a scarf to something annoying like ferro. i forgot what chomp does but hes hanging out.

ballux (pauluxx but ballin)

magmortar is nice. slowbro switches into garchomp for days. ignore that this is another spike stack.

FEUU

feuu is nice. stable meta and nothing feels really broke (avaruptmega and jirachi and hoop were pretty annoying but they got nerfed so its good now)
my enemy when (week 1, win)

two bob cteams. makes sure you beat both stall (roaramp + heatki + pory t1, regibee + heatki + tentoxys t2) and rain (slowton + pory + eeltoad t1, kokovoir + whimsi + weezlord t2). of course he was forced to run something else and it went about as you could hope.

KINGPIN

i saw lrxc playing bob with pingar mega and it went miles but he lost cause it didnt have the support. so i tried to build a pingar team. i tested it once and it won. maybe its okay.

it's tapler's fault (CHEETO 0) (week 4, win)

demon team. 4 paralyzers and 2 pillagers to make sure miemie doesnt get away with it.

CHEETO 1 (week 2, loss)

this is just the above team but worse. idk why i made this. i brought this with lycanserker over monferpa but got absolutely owned because eelektoad is mediocre at doing its job as a ground resist and also you get 6-0d by slowton. shouldve put glidol somewhere.

CHEETO 2 (psyspam)

this ones better. expanding force manicuno is always good and you have dredvul to punish mesflame/arctres.

CHEETO 3 (fastspam)

the feuu fastspam. more of a meme than anything theres 0 ground resist for one thing.

intermission

why is this beedrill still throat chop uturn it should be knock off roost

CHEETO 4 (rain)

its ok. CHEETO is probably unnecessary (hazard removal is a better idea) but its funny.

CHEETO 5 (webs)

frossharp seems mid 105 atk isnt enough to justify it ALSO triple ground weak no resist L

OOPS! ALL FAT SETUP (week 3, loss)

this team had potential but failed because it had no ground resist. sad.

CHEETO 6

ye olde setup spam. double smash + ddance + CHEETO for good measure. of course CHEETO doesnt fit here either but its funny.

spike stack (cool)

this team is GOATED because it has two unmons. i ran it against tapler and it did i believe 40 to no def weezing? mon could be legit

NO CHEETO !!

frax and altx are probably mid here. maybe put toucosta in here somewhere?

bulky spike stack (week 5, win)

this team is some solid semistall. wish jirachi might be better here for more longevity but it didnt do much this week anyway so w/e

KINGPIN 2

after learning eelektoad is mediocre it was time to build another pinsir team. but then earl roasted pingar so im sad.

pivotspam 2

total revamp of CHEETO 3 so it actually has a defensive synergy (sort of). it won against one of glukes teams because he had 4 fire weak mons and 1 resist but thats something at least. magic surge sucks on this team though

everyone loves their tr

sussy tr. made this at 4 in the morning but i think its pretty standard. likely mediocre though

semifinals shit 1

for semis i honed in on tapler's building:
  • uses weezlord/corveot/flygalge as physical walls
  • uses arctres/slowton/thornbro as special walls
so i figured psychic or ground special attackers would do pretty well. heres a team with offensive flygalge, corveot to check landmaldo, hat to check slowton (theoretically), and heatki to kinda pressure the special walls while luring in jelliswine and whimsi.

semifinals shit 2 (semifinals, win)

earl mentioned volc and it sounded p cool. idrk how to build around volc though but maybe the defensive core can patch up the two ice types on the team. did real well but tapler brought like 3 unmons so doesnt say much

semifinals shit 3

revamp of CHEETO 5, still has lotta ground weaks but now two ok ground checks. kinda wish there was a ghost to block spin; then again hes never actually brought that

semifinals shit 4

revamp of CHEETO 2, now with two (2) psyterrain abusers! has questionable matchup against weezlord though

fatbreak + rain check (finals, win)

for finals tapler pointed out that bob was probably building teams for anique based on the rain team w3 and the mons in semis. this meant a lot of stall or stallbreaking bo so heres the stallbreak part. idk if this actually checks rain cause no kokovoir (this is a revamp of my enemy when 2) but venuroar maybe spams giga drain.

team did as well as i hoped. nothing really pressured the cat once thornbro disappeared and ninjacross lost its band.

goodspam (finals tiebreak, win)

cm thornbro is good against bob - earl. naturally you build a fwg core around it, throw on pory + glidol for good measure. corvmega is nice and cteamed anique's team last week. later changed glidol to jirachanator for rain and that paid off a ton. spd grigus to always take <33 from volt switch slowton. corv outspeeds neutral gdarm.

game went a bit sideways quickly when thornbro got crit but spd grigus carried the team so we were ok
im not well versed on hg or restrictions enough imo so these dont get descriptions

HG

:chesnaught::dusknoir::sableye::claydol::weezing-galar::cryogonal: stall
:sunflora::octillery::jirachi::starmie::dunsparce::celebi: octillery paraspam
:starmie::marowak-alola::jirachi::alcremie::illumise::silvally-dark: alolawak paraspam
:abomasnow::milotic::sableye::glaceon::dugtrio::cloyster: hail stall
:gengar::dugtrio::raikou::celebi::jirachi::regice: specialspam
:deoxys-speed::cloyster::silvally::gengar::froslass::metagross: ho
:sunflora::cloyster::jellicent::golurk::skuntank::gengar: tss with no s
:jolteon::slowking-galar::dugtrio::chesnaught::metagross::starmie: perdemos 2

Restrictions

spike stack (week 2, win)
stall
bad tr
rain
funny paraspam
basic balance (week 5, loss)
spike stack 2
fastspam
fat balance
semisun
balance 2

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
look at that i broke the 65000 char limit. pog

Alternatium

alt is funny. at first when i tried to approach it it felt daunting for some reason. but now ive realized it feels like camomons in that the main meta is just fatass balances so i like it now (buff some of these mons though what are you realistically doing with 80% of pikachus or 80/80 offense dgz or 460 bst lycanroc)

TRIPLE BEAM

dex mentioned a funny cap team with three meteor beamers so i gave it a whirl. special swordeo is probably not good

stall

i was still brain broken by alt so i had to build something simple so stall came to mind. pikachu phd is v strange and i cant tell if its good or not.

tr

this team is p silly and idt tr will ever work well because of the lack of apeshit tr abusers. slowking-g is pretty solid though i think.

RETURN OF TRIAGE STEELA

first sighting of nasty plot fantom. i would come to realize that max defense is unnecessary when you wall sandslash anyway. also fibormadam is WORST MON ON TEAM look at how passive it is (at least it hits sandslash unlike moretto's WORSTER MON ON TEAM spin firbormadam)

what do you mean tarrows isnt broken on a non-ground type?

first shot at dual screens. zyg-10 sucks ass. no smash or good qd makes me sad.

MORVIDLY A BEAST

this looks better on paper. idk how good morvilant is though.

idk

relies on too much prediction from deo-g probably. also kinda feels like its only there to cteam offense because otherwise deo-g kills itself too quickly and the other attackers dont have much power.

CAMOMOMS SPECIAL (week 1, win)

sadly specs fantom didnt see much use in the game as specs genesex was putting in all the work. first appearance of the based fantom set though.

web

darm-g theoretically goes apeshit when things are slow. darkvally pursuit traps the two fast psychics that otherwise annoy the team.

googers-fae

it looks nice on paper. burn shit, set up sub, spam moonblast.

kind of fastspam

5 uturners and 2 trappers. looks smogon enough.

IM SO WET

rain is weird and probably bad. something about it just doesnt click. maybe its ogre being awkward to use (it should have spikes somewhere tbf).

TRIPLE PLOT (week 2, win)

i had the googers-fae team loaded up for darkrai when i discovered that they apparently only had one team so i just built a cteam to that one. sub fantom won on preview.

lydia in pet mods?? (week 3, win)

i decided to ask hba for advice for anti-offense (cause the past two weeks clastia brought offense) and fsr astralydia came in clutch making two alt teams and mentioning a couple things:
  • pixie plate double-edge sandslash has 0 switchins
  • cram is busted
  • deo-s is really good (known)
  • zacian is good for ho
you can see the first point in the game vs clastia where 3 mons just instantly disappeared lol

lydia in pet mods?? 2

second dual screens lydia made. honestly i think its worse because no fast as fuck cram. dual screens pikachu is funny though.

OOPS! ALL SPECIAL

sice wanted me to build around wisp + hex gira-s so here we go. i didnt mean to make it all special. this has no hazard removal so its p cringe although you can go with like flamethrower + defog on castform instead of ice beam + cm.

fat balance (week 4, win)

the final draft of the team. had belle problems cause apparently that mon is good but it didnt have light ball so we won. Lol!

stall revamp

i came back to stall when i knew the meta more and theres a specs fantom there. technically that makes it semistall but w/e.

fat balance 2 (week 5, loss)

not much to say about this team. i think it very much could have won if squawk was more careful with sandslash (not letting it take a future sight) and if he didnt let fantom get tricked.

goodspam (semifinals, win)

clearly one of the best teambuilding strategies is just to spam 4-5 of the best mons in the tier. jokes aside deo-s goes hard af in psychic terrain. wiped half the team off the map.

some dualprio

sice wanted a priospam team against paul. darkvally traps the psychic surger, fantom switches into sandslash, weezing switches into physical attackers, and slowking switches into special attackers. this wouldve absolutely cteamed paul (weezing vs 5 physical attackers + monopsychic sect? no contest) but sice wanted the more apeshit team.

EVEN WETTER (finals, win)

sice wanted a no-punches-pulled rain offense so this is what i made. this team makes 0 sense. the game made 0 sense. but we won so thats all that matters.

Joltemons

jolt is nice. i know i placed it low on playability in pmpl chat that one time but thats just cause other metas are more fun and i was never really a big fan of national dex. stuff like regen molt or shell bell or arid absorption or coal engine make it more fun though

OOPS! ALL REGEN

this was before i really thought about jolt. obviously not good but 6 regen probably makes it annoying to play against regardless.

spike stack

every meta gotta have their spike stack. there are some good ideas on there but azelf feels pretty mid.

Sexcadrill

sand + gravity is p solid. allows excadrill to free up a move for stuff like absorption or rapid spin, and serp to deal with both heatran and corviknight (theoretically).

Sexcadrill 2 (week 3, win)

looking at the sand article from gen 6, i looked into chary over mega tar to reset sand turns and break down grounds. it worked in practice though dex sacked chary before it did anything so rip. still a w

FUNNY SNOWMAN

dgz is kinda cool except it cant use snow cloak while setting hail. sad. also it cant hold hail rock so the synergy between it and zolt is a bit questionable over ninetales-alola.

bulky stack

dex had the idea of setup articunogalar. so i made a team. i forgot what altariamega does but it uhhh checks gren?

BEEZONE

everyone gotta build a beezone. its pivotspam + triple choice so i think its funny. centiskorch is pretty mediocre to carry the physical defensive role though.

bob special

every meta gotta have their stall. dex doesn't play stall so this team never saw play.

dual screens (week 5, loss)

articuno used to be mesprit. mesprit is funny. not great probably, but not funny. chomp is a menace though. team lost cause dex forgor about scale shot and also got haxed so thats sad

pivotspam 2

6 pivots 4 choice. say gg. counterspell blissey is kinda questionable.

weirdho

this might be better now that empoleon got nerfed. though magnezone isnt needed anymore cause most of the setup mons beat steels anyway.

brick broom

techno blast has 162 power on this mon so it looks p solid. problem is its pretty fast compared to stuff like pex, wishi, etc. still might have a little potential here

IM SO WET 2 (week 1, win)

every meta gotta have rain. we loaded rain into ho with only gyarados as the water resist and ferrothorn 2hkod it with power whip so massive w for us. wanted to see cursed belt manaphy do work though. unfortunate.

lydia edit

at this point i was starting to run out of steam team idea-wise so the next best thing is to browse nd teams and port them to jolt. no z-moves is literally 1984 though

epic fail? more like epic hail (week 2, win)

much more standard hail. cant go wrong with 2 fat steel pivots.

"sun"

semisun is a weird concept. sun by itself is already p weird cause it feels like defensive pokemon have a harder time fitting in. with rain you just slot in a steel type or something. this is adapted from a lydia team so it has some foundation but im just not sure about this.

not very HEATAH FAJITA (week 4, win)

as you might have been able to tell dex was bringing weather every other week. so w4 they wanted to bring sun. dex eventually put blacephalon over victini for the massive mind blowns backed up by regenerator. sun worked out well for us as sun caused the moltres wincon to miss all its hurricanes but our cursed belt wincon saw no play. another sad.

the game itself was super weird. i have no idea what skill swap manaphy was doing. was swag god preparing to swap the venusaur's chlorophyll?

THE AVATAR (semifinals, win)

of course the week 5 finale has to end with all weathers coming together. politoed is surprisingly versatile - very decent bulk, good coverage, flip turn, life dew, etc. dgz doesnt really fit at all though. unsurprisingly 4 weather mons have little synergy with each other (2 4x rock weak, 2 electric weak) which really puts pressure on the last two mons. these last two are not good. perhaps one should be a ground type.

dex reworked this team with excadrill and pelipper. turns out they worked really well since beaf ran koko and megabee.

MY ENEMY WHEN

a port of earl fastspam but its very fast and has spore and stuff. scizor mega is a cool tech by quizel that can break through a lot of physical walls with the combo of atk boosts and def drops.

MY ENEMY WHEN 2

building another offense for beaf led me to make the same fastspam but with wishi over breloom. woggers!

What How

THE spike stack WITH NO hazard removal. simply switch hawlucha into rocks and instantly win!

le spike stack (finals, loss)

gyarados is cool. switches into weavile and heatran and removes the latter's hazards. nidoking as usual has basically 0 switchins.

dex reworked this team with cress and pult, a good idea for more speed and ground resists. he overpredicted against wishi though which sucked.

NDBH

ndbh is brazy. people like to rate it as the most balanced meta but im not sure about that when there are just so many threats to take into account. sometimes it feels like you gotta slap a prank glare somewhere on your team and hope that does the job against the things you missed.

none of these teams were used cause onyx/city are the type of players who build on their own but it was a good exercise for me at least in case i had to play in the slot
DOUBLE DARM

dgz is p incredible with glacial lance AND vcreate stab AND high speed just shy of mmy. i think this team is kinda mid though with not many attackers besides pixilate fairyceus.

brack obamer!!!

gren-ash is a menace to the meta cause of fast fishious rends + wicked blows which is why a staple of normie teams are stuff like fc waterceus, fc zyg-c, etc. mixed shakes it up a lot. obama is questionable but its funny and it can switch pretty nicely into walls.

work in progress

port of a gen 8 team, still dont know whats going on with this one.

BEST MON ON TEAM

arceus-steel is honestly revolutionary as a mon. its the first steel that can go ff and put actual pressure on a team (provided they don't have a hard counter in regenvest/ice scales ogre). zacian is a good mon to pair with it then as it can switch in super easily to take scalds/revdances and threaten it out. i think this team would be better with a better hazard setter though. maybe regigigas could work.

what

dont ask i dont know either (its a port of city's team ask her)

CHAD FOCUS ENERGY 3

love this team. gen 7 bh elo farmers love using sniper mmy so you add to the fun with an annoying ass improof, paraspam in xerneas, and top it off with a furscales core. the furscales core is definitely weird though maybe its better to put prank over swampert instead (steelceus does decently against special threats anyway).

unpassive (aggressive) income

same philosophy as a couple of the teams: strong attacker improofed by a tail glow fat arceus. again might want prank somewhere.

IMPORT

anyway this was super fun, see you guys in pmpl 2 and wcopm

UNION STRONG. UNION PROUD

ps WHERE ARE YOUR GUYS' TEAMDUMPS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)