Resource Post NUPL Set Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.
because i know most of these wont be shared otherwise

Descriptions are encouraged, but not required. But if it requires some explanation or key information, pls include it. Teammates you used it with are excellent. 2-3 sentences should be enough, so don't feel pressured to write a lot unless you want to.

Please include the metagame that the set was for :) i'll post my own later

my sets:

NO SNEASELS (Poliwrath) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 168 Atk / 4 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Endeavor

from week 1 vs blastral. Meant to lure in Seismitoad so Klinklang can sweep. Attack EVs are so you cap at 74% damage vs Crustle, so Custap berry does not activate, with Speed EVs to outrun Rampardos, rest put in bulk.

iplaybplol (Floatzel) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Taunt

used this set mainly because i had been using the BU BP set a lot prior, so I figured it could catch my opponent off guard. HP Electric > Grass to hit Mantine and Pelipper, who were much bigger threats to my team than Seismitoad.

share sets pls :)

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Freeze Dry

One of my all-time favorite mons I commonly used in teambuilding. I received high praise for this innovative set from star NU players such as FLCL and Omfuga . While Aurorus isn't a speedster by any means, it is fast enough to outspeed most relevant offensive threats. Psychic hits fighting types that like to switch in, although I mostly used this when Hariyama was much more common. Earth Power can hit the Steel and Fire types, while Freeze Dry can catch some Water types off guard! It's a great set and I recommend you try it out!

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader

Gourgeist-Small @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Magic Coat

Cool niche set that has a lot of practical value when used. The Spread lets it outpace base 95s with max speed and +speed and anything slower (it hits 319 iirc), so it is already not a defenseless slow tanky pokemon as it is, but with Wisp and Magic Coat, it can cripple opposing physical attacks and foil opponents' attempts to set up hazards or inflict a status upon you, which happens quite often (think: Gourgeist vs Garbodor, Gourgeist vs Torterra, Gourgeist vs Ferroseed, Gourgeist vs Uxie, Gourgeist vs Stunfisk, etc.). Besides temporarily controlling the hazard game, it can also Destiny Bond to act as a last line of defense vs a boosted CM pokemon like Uxie, Musharna, or Mega-Audino or simply force a 1-for-1 with a threatening offensive pokemon. Finally, Colbur berry is to let you check Sawk, lure + burn Sneasel (this happens so often!!!), and simply not take as much damage from one of the most common moves in the tier that will often be directed at Gourgeist. I used this set in week five against New Breed and it actually worked wonders by bouncing back Stealth Rock from a Torterra against a team with a Xatu and Scyther, but I didn't play totally optimally during the middle and later portion of the game while my opponent did what he needed to, so I ended up losing this match ( http://puu.sh/i4oLu/4d75bbbb24.txt ).

Stunfisk (M) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 20 SpA / 144 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Yawn / Foul Play / Toxic

Stunfisk has been all over the place ever since Magneton dropped into the tier and it's quite good in the current metagame, but I elected to take an alternative approach to the standard SR set by slapping Passho berry on it. This was mainly due to my suspicion that Cased would use a Samurott against me as he uses it kinda often and I'm usually sort of weak to Samurott with some of my offensive builds, but it turned out to be quite an effective set that was part of the team I used in NUPL finals vs Cased ( http://puu.sh/i4oK6/fcb09a5c2a.txt ). Anyway, getting back into the set and not the reasoning for why I came up with it, the EVs let me tank a +2 torrent Waterfall from SD Samurott 70% of the time (lives non-torrent +2 easily), a +2 Razor Shell from Barbaracle 100% of the time after SR, and a +2 LO Waterfall from Carracosta 100% of the time, ensure that I have sufficient special defense to check Pyroar, Magmortar, Magneton, and some other special attackers, and let me OHKO Pyroar after SR 100% of the time with Earth Power (was sort of expecting a specs Pyroar, so this was a precautionary measure against that). The 4 speed EVs are simply creep as so many others are using Stunfisk now that Magneton is present in the tier, so I might as well try to get an edge without going too far out of my way and compromising anything else!

+2 252+ Atk Samurott Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Passho Berry Stunfisk: 250-295 (59.2 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
20 SpA Stunfisk Discharge vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 200-236 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - not enough SAtk to let it get into torrent range from full~
+2 252+ Atk Torrent Samurott Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Passho Berry Stunfisk: 373-441 (88.3 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Carracosta Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Passho Berry Stunfisk: 341-403 (80.8 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (12.5% OHKO w/ SR)
20 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Solid Rock Carracosta: 267-316 (92 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Tough Claws Barbaracle Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Passho Berry Stunfisk: 322-381 (76.3 - 90.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
20 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Barbaracle: 188-224 (65.7 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
20 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. -1 4 HP / 0 SpD Barbaracle: 288-338 (100.6 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 139-165 (32.9 - 39%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 153-181 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 181-214 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 165-195 (39 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
20 SpA Stunfisk Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pyroar: 236-278 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Magneton Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 162-192 (38.3 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Magneton Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 110-130 (26 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Stunfisk: 126-148 (29.8 - 35%) -- 89.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Stunfisk (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Scald
- Sludge Wave / Scald

The first thing that came into my mind when I saw that Magneton and Fletch dropped was the fact that many people would be using and expecting SR Stunfisk, so Specs Stunfisk could have a lot of surprise factor and it is still able to maintain some bulk while hitting quite hard and having a solid dual STAB+coverage. I hyped this thing up a shitton in my NUPL team chat and I think it had some influence on Teddeh rocking this monster vs Kiyo (props go totally to Teddeh for using it and doing well with it, I was just the first one to come up with using it as an idea). Anyway, this thing does a lot of damage and doesn't have many switch-ins on offense while still being able to defensively check a fair share of things, so it's a cool hidden gem in the tier I suppose (replay of Teddeh using it vs Kiyo in NUPL: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-58012 ).

Samurott (M) @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 124 HP / 240 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall

This isn't meant to be a check to electrics or anything, but with pokemon like Magneton, Rotom, Electevire, Lanturn, and Stunfisk being all quite common there isn't much reason to not use Wacan Berry if you're trying to get a turn to set-up vs offense with SD Samurott. Wacan grants it so many chances to set-up or get a surprise kill or some damage on electrics that you need worn down - the overall utility and usefulness of Wacan Berry on SD Samurott right now outdoes the effect that any other item could possibly have on it I'd say. Anyway, SD Samurott is sort of standard and I'm solely posting this for the purpose of showing the berry as the item, so I'll just post some calcs below that demonstrate the effectiveness of the berry (with this spread specifically - outpaces max speed torterra, max speed crustle, and everything slower (hits 212 speed) and has bulk to tank a hit or two you'll see in the hide tag).

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Samurott: 306-361 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Samurott: 237-280 (65.4 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 124 HP / 0 Def Wacan Berry Samurott: 211-250 (58.2 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Samurott: 178-210 (49.1 - 58%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Lanturn Volt Switch vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Samurott: 81-96 (22.3 - 26.5%) -- 14.5% chance to 4HKO
0 SpA Stunfisk Discharge vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Wacan Berry Samurott: 97-115 (26.7 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

PS: Been using this on suspect ladder mainly, so no NUPL team or replay unfortunately D:

Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 56 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Standard ass Gurdurr (the Def and SDef investment increase its bulk significantly because Eviolite + investment go a long way on NFEs, for those who aren't aware, but I can't quite recall specifics - rest assured, it's a tested and optimized spread that was made by someone during SPL and passed to me by Ium when we were on good terms) with Stone Edge over Bulk Up. This hits Scyther and Fletch, both of which are pretty common and often find themselves switching into Gurdurr, so it's a cool utility to have when you don't see yourself setting up Bulk Ups and sweeping or doing much work vs your opponent (and given Cased's teams, I didn't think I'd do much work with a normal Gurdurr, but the team I made with this never saw the light of day in NUPL as I elected to use the team I posted above with Passho Stunfisk instead of my Gurdurr team. The reason I wanted to lure and kill Scyther and Fletch was to give HP Ground QD Lilligant a pathway to sweep, which it did quite well in some test and ladder games, so feel free to try out this core if you'd like. HP Ground Lilligant is only really walled by Scyther, Fletch, Roselia, Xatu (sorta), and Weezing (sorta) and the two of the more common out of these five that are frequently used to check both Lilligant and Gurdurr are lured by this Gurdurr and set up a big void in the opponent's team that makes sweeping with Lilligant likely if you can manage to get a free turn mid-late game. I put this core on a bulkier build as I wanted to catch my opponent off-guard since a majority of my NU teams are offensive and specifically heavy on physically offensive win conditions, but it is equally if not more effective on balanced or offensive builds, too ( http://puu.sh/i4qIm/a637e5befc.txt ).

SCARF BUCK (Sawsbuck) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Rain Dance
- Double Edge
- Jump Kick

Used week 4 vs Blapperl. Rain Danced late game and swept with Kabu. Sawsbuck literally is jesus.

SCORPDESTROYER (Sneasel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Brought this vs Scorp week 5 and even though it didnt do much in our battle, low kick is really cool as it smacks yama for 60ish%, instantly making it not a sneasel switch in for the remainder of the battle.

Scotti

we back.
dppnu

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Night Slash
- Pursuit
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

this set was used to mostly handle haunter and jynx and allowed me to trap them, if i could get pursuit with sleep talk or wake up on switches. it also takes on other psychic types such as gardevoir, hypno, and grumpig.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Muk @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Explosion
- Shadow Sneak
- Brick Break

used this in dpp nu as a lead. beats charizard which is like the most common lead and lures lead sandslash

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Quick Attack
- Rock Tomb

didn't have the chance to use this guy but it's bulky enough to tank hits from magneton and even lanturn as long as you don't get burned and trap them

forgot the rest

Is it bad that i dont remember half the shit I used @_@. Anyways i didnt really innovate as much as I would have liked to, mainly because outside of week 1, i didnt really prepare alot. Anyways:

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry | Tough Claws
252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe | Adamant
Shell Smash | Razor Shell | Return | Grass Knot / Earthquake

I used this against Zeb in Week 1 and it kinda turned into "my set" after it worked out so well. I knew Zeb liked to use Tauros and Seismitoad and didnt really use Ferroseed or Gourgeist so Shuca Barbaracle seemed cool to set up on them. Return was just cause I had squashed Tennis in a test game with it a couple months prior to NUPL and it really does offer the best neutral coverage. I used Grass Knot to beat toad but now that that's gone EQ is cool to hit stuff like Garbodor, although GK still hits Quag.

Musharna @ Leftovers | Synchronize
240 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Spe | Calm
Barrier | Calm Mind | Stored Power | Moonlight

I used SpDef Barrier CM mush in week 2 because my team really needed a check to Pyroar, but also something that could act as a wincon. The set isnt really all that special but at least I can say that I ran it before Queen, or at least before I knew Queen ran it.

Sneasel @ Dread Plate | Inner Focus
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
Knock Off | Icicle Crash | Ice Shard | Pursuit

I also used Dread Plate Sneasel in Week 2 against scorp but it didnt really do anything haha. The idea was to bluff the Banded set that was everywhere at the time (and still is) so that I might get a free kill if he thought I was locked into Ice Shard or Pursuit. Still hits really hard as well.

Malamar @ Tanga Berry | Contrary
252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe | Adamant
Superpower | Knock Off | Psycho Cut | Destiny Bond / Rock Slide

I theorized this set for week 3 against Blapperl, except I didnt actually bring this set, but I definitely should have. I knew that Blapperl like to use Defensive Xatu with Signal Beam or Mawile to check Malamar and this set beats both of them. This set would have put in a ton of work, but I could never really build a solid team around it, so maybe one of you guys can.

Yeah so thats about all the innovating I did in NUPL, the only other thing I did was bring stunfisk before the Magnets meta because it was cool and checked gears, even though my team was awful that week. Enjoy.

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Camerupt @ Choice Specs | Solid Rock
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Modest
Eruption | Fire Blast | Earth Power | Hidden Power Rock

NASCAR Specs Camerupt, brought this vs. The Goomy in BW2. this guy does a great job taking advantage of and demolishing common Spikes stackers (Garbodor, Roselia). Charizard forces people into running Regirock as their dedicated Fire resist, and obviously that gets wrecked by Camerupt. standard Alomomola spreads are also 2HKO'd by Eruption so you don't even have to predict against them.

Golurk @ Leftovers | No Guard
160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe | Adamant
Substitute | DynamicPunch | Earthquake | Stone Edge

SubPunch Golurk except the punch haxes the opponent instead of hitting a bit harder. this shit is disgusting, esp. with para support. you can get up free subs on a lot of forced switches, and you can even hax your way through killing Mandibuzz if you catch it on the switch. can't Roost safely against you because it takes loads from DPunch if it does. used this on a hax team I only brought vs. Tachycardia in BW2 because the week was already decided, but it's the perfect support for it.

Electabuzz @ Eviolite | Vital Spirit
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Thunderbolt | Focus Blast | Volt Switch | Hidden Power Grass

planned to bring this vs. Tachycardia for BW2 because I noticed most of his teams were super weak to it, except later on I realized that most teams in general were super weak to it. he liked to use a lot of Charizard and Carracosta, with Seismitoad as one of his few Electric switch-ins. not much to say about it because it's super standard except that it's also amazing in BW2. outspeeds and kills lots of common mons like Charizard, Mandibuzz, Alomomola, Carracosta, both Rotoms, Samurott, Braviary, etc.

Beheeyem @ Choice Specs | Analytic
208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe | Modest
Psychic | Thunderbolt | Signal Beam | Trick

another mon I planned to bring vs. Tachycardia for BW2 because this thing is a goddamn monster. most Psychic-types suck ass in BW2 unless they beat Mandibuzz, and Beheeyem easily does that with Specs Analytic Thunderbolt. it can even beat it 1v1 with Signal Beam because it hits it super effectively when it Roosts. Speed EVs creep Gurdurr, even though it has Analytic it's nice to outrun some stuff and just outright kill it. also outright OHKOs offensive Skuntank on the switch with Analytic Thunderbolt after rocks, 50-ish% chance w/o them.

brought mostly standard teams for ORAS because I only played it in Bo3s and didn't feel like building for all three metas.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

All out attacking Archeops is cute. I used this in my NUPL week 5 match and it didn't fail me. Pair it with some hazard control so you avoid Defeatist and it will put in work. U-turn helps you get out of bad situations like Tank Rhydon, Carracosta, Quagsire and other stuff it's unable to break while also getting good chip damage to everything else.

Claydol @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin

I never got a chance to use it but LO Claydol is awesome. Psyshock is stab and hits all of the frail ghost types such as Rotom, Mismagius and Haunter who try to spinblock without having to use Shadow Ball. Also has a good chance to OHKO 0/0 Hariyama after stealth rock. Ice Beam lures in the likes of Xatu, Cacturne and Torterra and hits the relevant bulkier spinblockers for a 2HKO such as Gourgiest and Golurk. Earth power is your other strong stab for hitting anything else and ofc you need rapid spin. :toast:

EVs let you outspeed neutral max speed base 70 mons such Ludicolo, Magneton and Samurott.

252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haunter: 463-549 (200.4 - 237.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mismagius: 187-222 (71.6 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom: 153-183 (63.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 374-445 (87.1 - 103.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Golurk: 224-265 (58.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 234-278 (62.5 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 432-510 (109.6 - 129.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cacturne: 281-333 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Claydol Earth Power vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 250-296 (62.3 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
BW2:

Charizard @ Flying Gem | Blaze
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def | Jolly
Swords Dance | Acrobatics | Will-O-Wisp | Roost

Always wanted to try this even before XY came out, but then it did, so I never got to use it until now. Standard SD Zard with Wisp over EQ since it wears away at every Acro resist and makes setup way easier; for example you literally set straight up against any Alomomola without Toxic, so Mirror Coat becoming more popular actually works to your advantage. Also really nice for burning Sucker Punchers. Ik the set looks exactly like Fletchinder this gen but I came up with this even before that existed xd

Skuntank @ Rocky Helmet | Aftermath
252 Atk / 144 Spe / 112 HP | Lonely
Sucker Punch | Pursuit | Poison Jab | Hidden Power Grass

Rocky Helmet Skuntank, inspired by Garbodor because my team needed a Psychic check + Grass resist + priority, and I figured this could work fine too. Not much to say, just play it like you'd normally play Skunk, but later if you don't need it, you can sack it and get some huge damage on a contact move. HP Grass because I couldn't afford Costa setting up on me.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 56 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

, but I can't quite recall specifics ...
Near max HP for general bulk, 60 Def EVs avoids 2hko from most physical stuff, like Kangaskhan and also M-Steelix when that was a thing. If you remember that meta and how M-lix basically 2hkoed nearly everything with neutral attacks you can be rest assured it's avoiding 2hko from physical attacks unless it's banded of super effective. 136 Atk hits jump point, a bit of speed creep and rest in SpDef. I actually tweaked the spread a bit because it currently has odd defense numbers, and x1.5 effect of Eviolite is wasted. As long as you aren't going overboard it feels mathematically worth losing 1 point of HP for 2 points of Def especially when you have Drain Punch which heals flat HP, but thats just my opinion man.

Didn't use anything useful in BW1, kinda mad @ myself for it but I had trouble bringing original teams every week, so I didn't really care lo!L

Oh and I suggested T-wave Xatu for Deej Dy one week which massively improved his vs. offense matchup because it covered switch-ins that Giga Drain or Night Shade didn't really threaten, and allowed him to slow down some fast stuff his team had issues with. He wasn't quite sure of it but it ended up haxing the shit out of somebody and iirc bunch of other people on our team ended up using Twave Xatu too so lolllll

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have some cool sets from my XY games :)

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt

This was from my week 1 game vs Vileman. I didn't know how into CM Psychics he was so Kiyo and I innovated max HP Nasty Plot Mismagius. It was good for the match cause it kept rocks off the field which was critical for the rest of the game.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear

Also from week 1 but didn't play as big a part. I've used Oblivious Pilo for a while now and it's an extremely reliable rock setter because of its great matchup vs Xatu, immunity to Taunt, and great bulk.

~~~

didn't have any really cool innovative sets week 2 :(

~~~

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell
- Super Fang

Another set that I thought was pretty cool that didn't get to see any action. Super Fang Offensive Granbull weakened stuff like Steelix/Plume/Seis for a late game Sneasel sweep although SIMIPOUR took the team on its pack anyhow. Probably not the most creative thing in the world but I like it nonetheless :)

~~~

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- U-turn

Expected mont to bring offense so Defog Swellow was a reliable choice. Unexpected and forces switches so it should, in theory, get spikes off the field fairly easy. Unfortunately I didn't prep for Gatr in team builder so I found myself pressured more than I would have liked.

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Yawn

I was, uh, weak to Ferroseed. Ras also used Yawn Prinplup earlier that week and I thought "hey yea, fuck dragalge and set up mons"

~~~

Deej's Weakness (Lampent) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball

Offensive Lampent had a great set of coverage for Deej's standard builds on top of being a very reliable special Sceptile and Pyroar switch in for offense. Didn't get a lot of show time, but it was a great joke suggestion by ras to add a Lampent to an offense team.

Big Pecks (Archeops)
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

The set that took the week 5 game from the undefeated legend Deej. I put sub on there as an option against Kangaskhan because the squad was pretty weak to it. Drain Punch would have been a problem, but I was convinced Deej would bring the more powerful option considering my usage of DragLix in the past weeks. Sub works around Sucker Punch while also preserving HP during Roosts. It also blocks Sleep Powders!

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't gonna do an XY post, but seeing as Disjunction did one I got inspired. I didn't end up innovating so much as bringing relics from a long dead XY era that aren't seen at all in ORAS.

Week 3 vs. Vileman

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Calm Mind

Ah the legend, this thing pretty much straight up 6-0d him from team preview. The addition was a last minute add on suggestion and I was looking at my team and saw that I didn't have a wincon against stall. I wasn't so much thinking that he would bring stall as much as I was just adjusting the team to do well in general. Turns out that Calm Mind Xatu pulled its weight and was completely forgotten about with all the Xatu's running U-turn in ORAS.

Week 4 vs. Disjunction

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute

Sceptile was incredibly common in NUPL and for that fact Dragalge was also common as a stop to it. If the Dragalge was physically defensive then it is a 2HKO if specially then its a 2HKO after a previous switch in with some hazards up. Didn't do as well against Disjunctions team as I would of liked but still a p cool set that has worked incredibly well in the past for me.

Week 5 vs. Omfuga

brought the same team as week 3

Finals vs. Blarajarn

Sceptile @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

I went into this knowing I wanted to build around SD Sceptile, cause it p much destroyed every team that blara had brought up to that point. Turns out that things went perfectly and this thing obliterated Soulgazers team. This thing was a hell of a lot of fun in gen5 ru when we actually still had Flying Gem and you could activate unburden whenever. Sitrus berry is a little bit harder to activate, but you get health back so you can setup on weaker threats.

Crustle @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

Lum Berry+Adamant+X-Scissor=Fuck Lilligant, other moves are standard

FLOW IS SO NICE (Riolu) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Protect
- Copycat
- Substitute

This Pokemon carried me to a respectable 2-2 record in this tournament. The set on the site has 4 Special Defense EVs, so I decided to innovate the metagame by putting those into Speed. I also invented something known as a speed creep in case other people decided to use Riolu. Follow these steps and even niggas like Omfuga who were too shit to even go .500 (nigga went 2-3, ass) can reach my level of skill.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I didn't innovate anything too fancy but I did use these:

Cryogonal @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Freeze-Dry
- Signal Beam

Handy backup check to Malamar in a pinch and while the Freeze Dry vs Ice Beam damage difference is notable, I've never minded
252 SpA Cryogonal Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 228-272 (60.6 - 72.3%)
or if you are manly and use LO
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 296-354 (78.7 - 94.1%)

Xatu @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Wish
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic

DPP NU has several common Psychic options, but no one really uses Xatu. But it's a neat Psychic for having Baton Pass and TWave and being faster than a lot of important threats. I EVed to outrun Adamant Skuntank (afaik Jolly isn't a thing). Probably should have boosted to 136 Timid to also outrun Jolly Medicham but I didn't lol. Obviously Xatu has to fear T/Ice Punch but switching into both of Medicham's stabs so easily is rare, and most anything that can gets wrecked by Skuntank. Not Xatu!

252 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Xatu: 79-93 (23.6 - 27.8%)
252 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Xatu: 127-150 (38 - 44.9%)
252 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Xatu: 111-132 (33.2 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery - not even a 2hko through rocks!

I also used this alongside Regirock with Protect, since Regirock baits Medicham out and you can scout it, even get the HJK recoil if you're lucky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)