Post CAPTT Team / Set Dump

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Last edited:

Steam Buns

:rosetriumph:
is a Pre-Contributor
Started this tour having never played gen 6 CAP before and decided to try it on a whim, which turned out to be a great decision because it is now my favourite meta, in general this CAPTT was the most fun I've had in competitive Pokemon, sincere thankyous to my team and everyone else involved. ORAS severely lacks resources and I made a lot of teams so I'm gonna drop my favourites.

-Scarf Lati Balance-
This was the first team I made but holds up surprisingly well, took inspiration from this team by RWW. I wanted something that would let me play more slowly and is quite easy to use as I was new to the meta and it did the job.

-Talon-Kril Balance-
Talonflame and krilowatt have amazing offensive synergy which is what this tries to capitalise on.

-Big TOISE-
I don't care what anyone says, blastoise is great, and super fun to use. This team certainly has some flaws like losing 6-0 to stall as Rage.Spam.Quit very kindly demonstrated for me, but does decently against the most of the balance teams that you see.

-Dragalgae+Victini-
Another really fun team to use featuring pursuit mega sciz among other things. Opposing pursuit users give it real trouble, but I had a fairly close game v finch so it's definitely quite solid.

-Mega-Sciz Balance-
Another team with pursuit scizor this time on a far more standard balance, I didn't end up using it but it's a strong and reliable team.

-Mega-Manec+Azumarill-
I never got to test this one but its cool

-The Perfect Team-
Because I couldn't help myself

Throughout this tour, I've built many teams and toyed around with a few sets. I'd like to use this opportunity to share some that I liked the most.

Stresh vs MechSteelix
Ever since Equilibra's release, I wanted to build with Tomohawk because it seemed like a very efficient balance breaker, which it is. The easiest way to make it work that I found was with Tapu Koko, which baits in Grass-types and Equilibra, while providing a strong check to Tornadus-T for Tomohawk. From there, Toxapex seemed like a fine addition to handle Jumbao and Mega Lopunny, which have both been experiencing a bit of a resurgence in the CAP metagame. I settled with Knock Off over Scald because opposing Toxapex and Ferrothorn were pretty annoying otherwise. Equilibra's a pretty simple pick here; it provides hazard control, and can act as a check to Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Magearna, and Mega Mawile. It was especially appealing because Doom Desire + Tapu Koko is really nice. Stealth Rock setters are pretty awkward to fit right now, so I just went with Mega Garchomp, which is a solid wallbreaker and also a Heatran check, which was really important. Lastly, because I'm not that big of a fan of running Equilibra as a sole check to Tapu Lele, I added Kitsunoh. I wouldn't recommend running this team right now, though, as it's pretty weak to the common Tapu Koko + breaker teams.

highlighter vs EpicUmbreon29
Against Umbreon, we knew that we wanted to use some double lead hyper offense because Umbreon's teams were always really weak to them. There really isn't much to say about this team, as it's just a standard hyper offense team.

Jordy vs SHSP
I swear this is a CAP team. This team's pretty inspired by the first 2 cycles of OLT, where these type of semi stall teams were pretty common. Against SHSP I knew that I wanted to use something like this, since I heard that he tends to get impatient against really fat teams. Chansey and Skarmory form the basic backbone of this team; stacking hazards and blanket checking special and physical wallbreakers. I opted for Wish on Chansey to take some pressure off Skarmory when it's switching into Pajantom. Tapu Lele is pretty weird on these type of teams, but it benefits greatly from hazards and I figured that it'd be a cool addition to make the possible fat vs fat matchup less painful. Ditto's really cool on these teams to trap Magnezone, which I definitely thought was something SHSP could bring, considering the teams I'd brought prior to this. I also really wanted a secondary check to sweepers like Necturna. So far the team was pretty weak to Heatran, and I didn't feel comfortable enough against Arghonaut to completely drop Defog, even though the team's main purpose is to win through stacking hazards. I also noticed that SHSP liked breakers such as Kyurem-B, Mega Gallade, and Mega Medicham, so Mega Slowbro seemed like a pretty natural fit. Slowbro's also great at attaining chip damage on Ferrothorn. I opted to run Foul Play instead of Ice Beam because it helps in the Pajantom matchup, while both Chansey and Gliscor handle Mega Garchomp pretty well. Unfortunately, SHSP didn't bring what I was expecting at all, so the team didn't really do what it was intended to do, but it still came out on top and I really like the team regardless.

Stresh vs Mellow
Up until this point, Mellow had used 2 of my teams and one of his own, but he never shifted away from Equilibra + bulky water, in this case Arghonaut and Toxapex. With this build, we wanted to abuse that through Reuniclus + Excadrill. Reuniclus is great at taking advantage of bulky Water-types, and Equilibra can't really handle it unless it's Bulletproof, in which case, Excadrill becomes very hard to handle. The Reuniclus is pretty simple; we went with Psychium Z here because it's really nice for Necturna, without having to run Shadow Ball, and it's also great to overwhelm Pokemon like Pajantom quickly. Tornadus-T was a pretty simple pick; we just wanted something to take advantage of Grass-types. We later came up with the idea to run Assault Vest, making it easier to switch into Pokemon such as Jumbao and Mega Latias, and it really paid off. While it's unfortunate that Tornadus-T can't run Defog on these sets, it wasn't particularly bothersome because Excadrill's still a great spinner. Krilowatt was cool because, together with Excadrill, they could overwhelm Grass-types pretty well. Mega Tyranitar should be really obvious; it sets Stealth Rock and checks Pokemon like Tornadus-T, Pajantom, and Mega Latias. In hindsight, I think we probably should've run Superpower, but it worked out so whatever. Throughout the weeks, we hadn't run very strong Mega Alakazam, and Mellow really liked to use it, so we went with Celesteela here. While the main idea behind this team was to overwhelm Equilibra through running 2 Pokemon it cannot check at the same time, it's sitll important to have a solid check to it, so Celesteela felt like the natural pick here. The EV spread on Celesteela is for Necturna.

Jordy vs Chazm
Throughout the tour, Chazm hadn't really run any solid checks to sand and it's an archetype I'm pretty comfortable with, so I thought it'd be a fine call. However, Chazm made a great call and brought Snaelstrom + Colossoil. Regardless, I still really like this team. I decided to run Superpower on this Mega Tyranitar to hit both Heatran and Ferrothorn. It would've been useful against Chazm, but I really wanted my Stealth Rock up against Victini. Bulky Z-Move Jumbao is a cool idea Terracotta came up with that I wanted to give a try; it's a pretty good check to Pokemon like Heatran, Tapu Koko, Caribolt, and Pajantom, which Chazm seemed to like. Wish support was also really nice on this team, as Pokemon like Mega Tyranitar and Celesteela tend to be worn down really quickly. Celesteela's this teams check to Psychic-types and Equilibra. Toxapex's a great check to Jumbao and Mega Lopunny, which this team would otherwise really struggle against. I opted for Toxic over Toxic Spikes because of Tornadus-T, which could be a major menace, especially if it was Fightinium Z or Superpower. This Tapu Lele set was inspired by Lazarillo, who used it to qualify for OLT. I thought it'd be a cool addition here because Toxapex was quite annoying to deal with, and it could overwhelm Celesteela relatively easily thanks to Thunderbolt, which is great for Excadrill. I used a Modest nature Tapu Lele in my battle against Chazm, but I prefer a Timid nature now because of Colossoil, lol.

This isn't really a new idea or anything, but I was toying around with this set on a few teams because I believe that Cyclohm has pretty good potential in the current metagame. Cyclohm's defensive utility is great right now; it's a good check to Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Gyarados. Its coverage is very frightening too, being practically impossible for bulkier teams to switch into right now. Electrium Z is cool because it does a lot to Toxapex, which could otherwise take 2 hits relatively easily. It's also nice for Tapu Lele, which takes pretty insignificant damage otherwise. I was unfortunately unable to make a team with it that I really liked, which is why I didn't end up bringing it.

I'm certain that I'm not the first person to have thought of this, but Future Sight Slowbro's something that has been on my mind for a while now. It's a really cool option alongside Pokemon such as Heatran, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Tyranitar which can struggle to break through bulky Water-types like Arghonaut and Toxapex. Psychium Z is great because it lets Slowbro deal with Arghonaut and Toxapex relatively easily, as the 1v1 is otherwise pretty awkward. I was actually able to build a team with it that I liked, you can check it out here. Waterium Z was something I also considered a few times, as it's really nice to OHKO Equilibra and Heatran.

This isn't a very creative core, many other people have run it before, so I won't go in-depth about their synergy, but I believe that Wish on Mega Latias makes this core so much more frightening and difficult to deal with. With a Wish up, Equilibra can switch into Pokemon such as Heatran, Tapu Lele, and Pajantom with very little risk attached to it, which is great. It also makes Equilibra even harder to wear down over time, which is how some teams deal with it.

Ok I guess is my time to post a few ideas and builds
when this tour started my cap knowledge was nearly 0 so I tried to build for myself based on my unique playstyle to start of.
Team 1 Mmedicham alomola wishpass bo
For my first game I expected my opponent to go with a rain or some balance cause is the best way to play vs players new to the meta so I opted for a pretty solid defensive core with mmedi for outbreaking more passive teams. The main idea was to use alo as wishpasser and triple protect to gain momentum vs choice locked mons with a dual rege core and mmedi to abuse momentum. Dual fight core+fightnium torn pressure a lot equilibra teams while the rest let u pivot vs all the actual meta.Pretty solid team honestly,good vs any general matchup maybe a few weak to mgallade but it worked so all good.

Team 2 sd bulu+sub mmaw

This is a pretty sample team ,I expected stall so I decided to build around sub mmaw to pressure really hard any passive team while bulu was there to control the ground weakness. The evs on bulu let me outspeed modest Tran and get the ko with superpower at +2,nature power Tran is nice to get usual resists like arg rotom+toma gives a nice defensive core without being totally passive and as last scarf lando gives a dual intimidate core vs more offensive teams. It was overall a nice pick cause it gave me the flexibility I like to have during the games.

Team 3 koko lucha hazard stack
I have to admit this was the week where I couldn’t really decide for a team so I went with an old ou core+ i nice hazard core. Equi spin+the hazard core would let me win the hazard battle most of the times without a too many problems while lucha would be a really nice win condition late game,tornadus 4 atks is in my opinion the best offensive momentum mon. Not a lot to say except I forgot mzam had trace and lost from there.

Going ahead there was the all meme week that I will post later on as the majority of them are just mono use teams good only cause the opponents don’t know what to expect.

team 4 agility zap+4atks gren
Well this is a spicy team, wasn’t really expecting stall as I always covered the matchup pretty well the main idea was 4 atks gren+hazard stack to really lure bulky teams with whirlwind+Circle while agility zap could take down most offensive teams with spike lure. Fun team and overall pretty good.

Tiebreak team mamo+msharp
This is one of the hottest team I did. A really nice mon as mamoswine as stealth rocker giving u both a good sr control and a late game cleaner as the switchins are really limited freezy dry let u 2ko rotom wash after sr dmg. Msharp is actually a pretty solid mon letting u 2ko all the meta and if well played nearly impossible to revenge. The rest is pretty standard and I think is easy to see that I love hazard stack. Av bro gives a solid check to a lot of threads.

Finals team lati semistall
even if I lost I am pretty proud of this team, solid vs most of the meta dual wish pass + dual rege should give a good long term matchup, zequi let u get Kills on shit like tornadus if i Could go back i would probably use toxic over whirlwind but I was afraid of cheese like smokozone. Mlati refresh cm is a nice late game win condition once u took out most of the threads and give somewhat a nice def pivot and status absorber.

This were all the teams I used now let’s go with some teams I wished to use but didn’t have the occasion.

Cm clefable+mpinsir
Really fun and revolutionary team with cm firium z clef to break equilibra+ mpins to help vs the ho matchup. Toma spin let u run both toxic and whirlwind on equilibra while sr seis let u beat the most common spinners/defoggers sets.

hazard stack fightnium z alakazam
OK So here I should waste a few words: the main idea was bluffing z gyara at team preview and get free sets+libra lure, nido is a nice jumbao check most of the times and let u run both tspikes+sr in one slot the team was pretty good during tests and is fun to pilot.

ddance chary y+ hwish

Really high iq team with ddance earthquake to lure both toxa and Tran while ddance let ur opponent think u are charx. Av bro+scarf hwish jumbao complete the wfg core and dance kommonium z kommo let u pressure really hard any team while libra gives u the classic spin.

raikou tspikes
Raikou is really hard to check in the actual meta once libra is down so I opted for a z rotom heat as partner. Mchomp is the best stealth rock setter and libra is the best mon. Toxa covers other matchups and jumbao let u have a nice long game control with wish pass.

And finally I will drop a little past with memes and not evsed teams that everyone wanted

https://pokepast.es/4b696952f1cf8305

S/o to my managers for drafting me and trusting my building, to lasen for being the best, to plasoat aka best lc cap player (didn’t know this meta existed till captt) and best cheerleader, to noisy for being a goat sometimes and to whoever banned me from cap discord.

I have to do a second post cause my phone got crazy with 2 teams

https://pokepast.es/86dd785dbca2c376
Swampert sr+moltres. Moltres is a solid win condition vs both fat and offense while toxic sr assure always sr up syclant gives a nice momentum gainer and spike setter while the rest is pretty standard

https://pokepast.es/bb853ca2fbeb8473
Colossoil charyx
Hard breaking team not a lot to say about it except np mew as sr setter to give a fight resist without being passive

https://pokepast.es/786d5d090575e771 and this is the raikou paste that doesn’t work for some reason on the first one

Last edited:
Even though I played mostly ORAS this CAPTT, I still built some USUM teams that I’ld like to show, so here they are.

CAPTT V Teams
191020191022 191023 191024 191025 191026
Me vs Terracotta zygod, USUM, Week 2
When I built this team, Equilibra was relatively new so I was just testing things out. I haven't used Mega-Latios in a while and I believe Ash-Greninja was also pretty powerful in the meta at that time. I have Grassium Heatran to beat Arghonaut, Rotom-W, etc so that Ash-Gren, Weavile, and Equilibra have an easier time. The team is really focused on overwhelming the opponent supported by Spikes, but in the end, in this replay I got overwhelmed by M-Medi. So I changed Toxic on Equilibra to Protect, which you see here in this pokepaste.
Kind of weak to opposing Equilibra since my only answer is Ash-Gren, which can get chipped, so you have to put on the offensive pressure vs that.

191027 191028 191029 191030 191031 191032
Me vs againa, ORAS, Week 3
Standard stall, should be self explanatory. One thing to note though is that I have Rest on CM bro for toxic, since I don't have Heal Bell on this team. Also that the only way to really chip Ferrothorn is Zapdos' Heat Wave. You can change Foul Play on Amoonguss (intended for M-Meta) to HP Fire, but you still probably will struggle vs Ferrothorn.
P.S. the nicknames were to taunt againa haha

1566230899946.png 191033 191034 191035 191036 191037
Me vs ESM, ORAS, Week 4
This is Jho's team, he can probably explain it better than me.
In the replay, yea I haxed the Azumarill, but if ESM play roughed my Chomp, it would have been chipped by rocky helm to the point where it would be easy to kill later anyways (by tomo or chomp). Besides tomo kinda 6-0ed

191041191038 191039 1566230751489.png1566230734609.png191040
MechSteelix vs mellow, USUM, Week 4
Built this team and then gave it to MechSteelix (my irl friend) for his match vs mellow. Should be self-explanatory - Bulu is there to help Suicune gain even more passive recovery, T-Spikes on Paj is to be annoying while Suicune keeps subbing and protecting and they get poisoned down. I have Levitate > Bulletproof on Equilibra cuz I felt I had enough answers to Zam and not one for opposing Equilibra. You can change it to Bulletproof if you feel worried about Magearna, but like that mon doesn't exist in the meta nowadays anyways lol.
Also HP Fire on Kit is for Kartana
P.S. ik the bulu sprite is broken, I couldn't find one that fixed it

191042 191043 1910441566231034647.png1910451566230912150.png
Me vs RajShoot, ORAS, Week 5
Team was built around Kerf parting-shot stuff like jirachi, amoonguss, etc to get Volk free switch-ins to fire off specs fire blast. Rest of team is also volt-turn for that reason and to continually put on pressure. I have scarf zap cuz I needed a scarfer that could defog and beat tomo I think? I don't exactly remember what but I do remember that I chose zap > kit for some reason

191046191047 1910481566230734609.png191049191050
Me vs jrdn, ORAS, Finals
The infamous crit bullet punch scizor. I was told jrdn tends to bring cyclohm and tomo to teams, so I thought what better way to abuse that than uturn msciz + specs kyurem. Turns out he brought neither of that, but kyurem still put in mad work by pressuring the oppo. EVs on tran to outspeed rotom-w, max speed modest specs magnezone, etc, etc (it puts it in the speed range to tox many things iirc). HP Ground on torn for M-Cruci, which is the same reason why exca is max def. Tbh m-cruci technically shouldn't be too much of a threat cuz you can play around it with msciz + keld but I wanted extra insurance anyways.
Careful vs stall, only answer to it kinda is toxic exca which isnt a great answer

In the replay, I sacked exca lol cuz I forgot mold breaker on it meant it could EQ vs rotom-w, which also explains the weird plays where I tried to get a tox off on rotom-w instead of just eq-ing. The game was super intense for me with me trying to predict a lot and i enjoyed playing it, altho idk if my oppo did after that second to last turn.
Also that turn where I stayed in with msciz on charizard, I did that cuz I didn't want to risk a Char-Y just blasting through my team and (at that time) I felt that M-Sciz wouldn't have been useful anyways. How reasonable was that judgment after you see the rest of the game is up for you to decide.

Unused Teams
1566231538945.png
1566231034647.png
Some weird hippo mollux kyurem fusion, ORAS
My first kyurem team, where my char y answer was hippo (technically lives two fire blasts w/o sun, but just barely). You should prob change the evs on landot to be fat scarf variant to better handle mmeta and mmedi since my hippo is spdef. Anyways even tho i tried to mollux work, just having a defensive fire type weak to rocks sucks, even if it sort of fit on this team (for pyroak, ferro, kerf, focus blast keld, etc).
Tested with it with Jho, didn't like it, so I didn't bring it vs jrdn.

1566231604324.png

Jho's Gengar Team, ORAS
This was the other team I was considering bringing vs jrdn. Seems pretty cool, gengar is a fire mon, Jho can prob explain this team better than me cuz I only tested it once like 10 min before my match with jrdn.

1566233514741.png
1566231022046.png1566233532327.png
When I tried to cteam Wenderz, ORAS
Sooo I was on Wenderz's team last CAPTT so I went through his teams and replays and found that he was sort of weak to Hydreigon. Now you may be wondering why tf I have a Defiant Thundurus. That is cuz Hydreigon ultra-loses to Kerf so when they p-shot on my hydreigon expecting mollyux to come in, I go to Thundurus and get them yummy boosts (+4 iirc). Wenderz in the end got subbed in by RajShoot so I never got a chance to use this team, so I'm still curious as to whether this team can actually work. If you can test it and find out, pls lmk

1566230751489.png1566230765538.png
1566231007558.png

Charizard-Y Bulky Offense, USUM
Since everyone was spamming Equilibra when I made this team (and everyone still is), I thought of using Char-Y. Should be self-explanatory - get char in, fire off fire blasts, bing bam boom. Didn't test this team that extensively so idk how it fares in the meta rn tbh. Aqua Tail on Chomp for opposing Equiliabra.
Also change D-Tail on Equilibra in this pokepaste to Whirlwind cuz of clef and that sub-magnet rise magnezone set

1566235253891.png
1566231007558.png1566231585016.png1566230751489.png
Koko + MMedi Breaker Team, USUM
This is probably a poor example of the Koko + Breaker teams people have been talking about cuz well Argho + Chomp aren't as good as they used to be + Charti Berry on Torn-T prob isn't relevant cuz Equilibra nuked the existence of Rockium-Z Garchomp. You can patch up the team if you want, I personally didn't like it when I was testing so take it as you will.

There's also one more USUM team I have but I won't show cuz I want to keep it a secret and I'm too proud of it to show here ;)

Please drop some likes, I spent three hours making this post :(

P.S. shameless plug that I went undefeated 6-0 in ORAS over the past 3 captts and 4-0 in oras this captt

Attachments

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
Here are the two teams I used in the tour:

Snake, meet boot (by Frat Dude)
Me vs snake_rattler

This team was basically built to take on trick room while also having a good matchup against other team archetypes snake typically plays. The basic game plan with this team is to continuously apply offensive pressure, keeping trick room from being set up with taunt, maintaining your momentum by pivoting, and then breaking holes in the opposing team once you're in an advantageous position. I wasn't really that involved in making this team(though the name was all me), so Frat Dude may have a bit more to say about it.

Best Moth 4
Me vs Volkner
Me vs Heaven Jay

This one was mostly my own creation, though Mx did help polish it a bit. This team is entirely built around Volcarona as its win condition. Tornadus-T + Equilibra are very effective at keeping hazards off the field, which is vital if you want to bring in Volcarona. Ferrothorn + Arghonaut are great at setting up hazards in addition to providing other utility, encouraging the opponent to defog, which again gives more opportunities to bring in Volcarona. Tapu-Lele provides utility for Volcarona by giving it a boost to Psychic and preventing priority moves, making it more difficult to revenge kill. Every Pokemon on this team has the capability to deal with Tyranitar in some way, as it is essentially impossible for Volcarona to deal with since it lacks Bug Buzz. Overall I think it's a fun team, once Volcarona's checks are out of the way and you get an opportunity to set up, that's basically the game. Unless you're facing stall.

Last edited:
Sorry for flooding this but I saw the links have some problems probably cause I did them bad on phone and what not but is really to adjust just delete the https and the ‘ ‘ in the high part to be able to see them for whoever who couldn’t

Here are the two teams I used in the tour:

Snake, meet boot (by Frat Dude)
Me vs snake_rattler

This team was basically built to take on trick room while also having a good matchup against other team archetypes snake typically plays. The basic game plan with this team is to continuously apply offensive pressure, keeping trick room from being set up with taunt, maintaining your momentum by pivoting, and then breaking holes in the opposing team once you're in an advantageous position. I wasn't really that involved in making this team(the name was all me), so Frat Dude may have a bit more to say about it.

Best Moth 4
Me vs Volkner
Me vs Heaven Jay

This one was mostly my own creation, though Mx did help polish it a bit. This team is entirely built around Volcarona as its win condition. Tornadus-T + Equilibra are very effective at keeping hazards off the field, which is vital if you want to bring in Volcarona. Ferrothorn + Arghonaut are great at setting up hazards in addition to providing other utility, encouraging the opponent to defog, which again gives more opportunities to bring in Volcarona. Tapu-Lele provides utility for Volcarona by giving it a boost to Psychic and preventing priority moves, making it more difficult to revenge kill. Every Pokemon on this team has the capability to deal with Tyranitar in some way, as it is essentially impossible for Volcarona to deal with since it lacks Bug Buzz. Overall I think it's a fun team, once Volcarona's checks are out of the way and you get an opportunity to set up, that's basically the game. Unless you're facing stall.
just to clarify that fratty team is the greatest shit ever built in 2019 lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)