Tournament Post-AGPL V Thread

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I already made a big post on my experience in the tour/teams here; this is just quick food for thought post tour on format and tiers.

4 SV worked fine. As per almost every team tour, people think that there isn't enough room for half the slots being current gen and then it ends up being fine. 4 SV + an SV in the Bo3 slot is fine. It really does not matter.

Touching on what I actually wanted to post, I think an issue with AG in team tours in general is that in my mind, at least with current gen (I don't play any AG old gens), is that SV AG is a bad Bo1 format. Bo1 SV, in my mind, is not that competitive. There is skill in the builder and in in-game play, but overall, with all the variables within SV (Caly, EKiller, Koraidon all with their own sets and Tera) it's, in my mind, a very bad format to play Bo1 in. I am not making any prescriptive statements with this, I'm not suggesting that every SV slot becomes Bo3. However, it is worth entertaining the possibility of more AG team tour slots in the future being Bo3. If this means decreasing the overall amount of slots, for example, from 8 -> 6 (and potentially adding 2 teams to make up for that so that there's 6 slots 8 teams) (again, I have not thought through solutions so don't come at me) and making more slots Bo3, I think that is a fair trade off. The argument of how this would mean having to build more teams is in my mind, moot. AG has (from my perception and from some AG player's I have spoken to) always been more a matchup tier than a team tier; AG is more forgiving than many other tiers when it comes to reusing. You could go an entire team tour and recycle the same 12 SV teams among 4 players with minor changes between each game and be fine.

I understand not everyone agrees with this suggestion but it's worth discussing imo. Adding 1-2 more Bo3 slots would increase the skill involved and decrease the overall RNG/mechanics issues that plague many AG tiers, especially current gen.

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
Hiii! I haven't really done this much but I'll try to phrase this well!

First off, I'm a little bit disappointed with my performance this AGPL. I know I could've been worse, but I don't believe any of my games were unplayable and I just had to be better. But that's fine. It's my first AGPL, one of my first team tours ever, and I'll be much better next time around.

Everyone that I teamed with this team tour was great and I hope to team with you guys again! I know we weren't very active, especially after being demotivated w2, but you are all incredible players and I trust that we'll kill it next time around.

Onto the teams I did use though, mostly with succinct descriptions:

W1 - entrocefalo - L
I kinda just liked the idea of bringing in CB koraidon with Eject Etern and BP Caly into Ting Lu, so I went hard with that. Miraidon could help break through Groundceus and Caly-S checks, and Ekiller was there to check Caly-S. Ultimately, I played poorly either way so I got owned.

W2 - Mashing - W
I wanted to build a slightly unconventional build featuring Specs Ogre and an Eternatus that could trap Clodsire for it. I loaded up with LO Caly-S, the most broken set in the tier imo, which ended up putting in mad work and claiming nearly the entire team by itself.

W3 - tier - L
I was in the midst of traveling this week and just wanted to build a double Groundceus HO. Double Groundceus has some insane issues with Calyrex-S, so I made sure to change up Tera types according such as Tera Dark Koraidon + Crunch, and Steel Groundceus, as well as a really bulky Zacian-C. Additionally, I loaded up the standard broken LO Caly-S once again. But I ended up getting really sick before the game and piloted it like shit, although I do have to admit that i overlooked Toxapex in the builder completely.

W4 - Ballfire - W
I have been wanting to load up Triple Koraidon SO much. I focused on building around a LO Koraidon that could break through typical Koraidon checks like Skeledirge, Toxapex, and Fairyceus, an Eject Pack Koraidon that could pivot into Miraidon to claim a kill, and a standard Caly-S and Ekiller after. The team put in work, though the Zacian matchup was a bit annoying. Thats the nature of Triple Koraidon + Miraidon anyways, so I'm not disappointed.

W5 - Adhiraj - W
I finally pulled off the PlotPass Caly-S + LO Miraidon core. I built around that along with a wisp Fairyceus to lure in Zacian / check Koraidon. The Zacian matchup was still rough, which was a common thing I noticed in some of these teams haha, especially since I didnt even load EQ on Ting-Lu (something I will not forget to do anymore). Our game was somewhat haxy, but I came out on top and I'm satisfied with the build.

So this is all of my teams I used for this tour. I enjoyed playing this tier, and I can't wait to play more in future tours.

Shoutouts:

corvere Frito Inder Frozoid My fellow SV builders, you guys were fun to interact and test with. I know you're all incredibly good players, and I'm excited to team with you again in the future and kill it!

Royal1604 Staxi Chloe Dockiva~~ HunterStorm I didn't interact with you guys as much, but I know you are all great players and I hope to work w you again :)

Geysers Bread Sandwich Thanks for drafting me! I know you guys had other commitments, but I appreciate what you did do, and I know you'll kill it if you go for it again next year.

hayedenn TaxFraud pichus Opnoob 598 You guys are cool, and I appreciate talking through ideas + testing with you. hope to team with you someday :heart:

Farce Of The Death :swole:

About the actual metagame. As we all know, I think Calyrex-S is broken and completely warps the tier around it, but that's how AG is. I appreciate it a lot more now though, because it forces more consistent building and less cheese in games. Games often come to smart use of your Calyrex, even if the tier is incredibly wack, because Calyrex just has no consistent counterplay. I'm glad I picked up AG in OMPL and kept at it all this time.

Good luck to everyone in Playoffs! Zacians out :zacian-crowned:

Alright, I'll get this straight underway.

Particularly, not happy with my performance in AGPL this year. I believe my games weren't totally unplayable, I mostly fumbled under pressure and had to play better. But I think that's fine, it's my first ever AGPL and team tour, will definitely do better next time around.

Week 2 vs Ballfire (L)
team: https://pokepast.es/f8242c037d03dab0 I wanted to use some Specs Caly + Mira. Overall, I do like the team apart from a few minor issues. I mostly played bad and didn't make the correct plays and lost.

Week 3 vs WrathoftheLeopard (W)
team: https://pokepast.es/78f187201f464564 I really liked the idea of CM ogre + Kora. Even more so because that's the core which I lost to the previous week. I think I played up to the mark vs Wrath, and then in the end encore Caly got the job done.

Week 4 vs jb291 (L)
team: https://pokepast.es/122889c5f97bfaa3 I was expecting JB to bring a fat build as he used some really fat builds previous weeks. I wanted to use something which is good into fat builds but at the same time, is also good into standard stuff. I think I played this alright, but then the matchup was a bit rough.

Week 5 vs Taka (L)
team: https://pokepast.es/864bc69a54a488b9 By now, you know who forced me into bringing this. It's TaxFraud I mean this was a pretty dead week, with both us and Zacians being out, so I just wanted to get over with the game. Think I played this alright apart from that misclick I made.

shoutouts:

TaxFraud hayedenn LoSconosciuto Fc lotiasite my fellow SV builders. Was really fun interacting, building and testing with you guys. I mainly built with Tax and hayedenn, and then loti and Fc would give us feedback for our builds. While I didn't interact much with you LoSconosciuto it was still fun having your sarcasm around.

Andyboy Thimo Quantum Tesseract and all the others in our team, I couldn't interact with you guys much, but you're all great players. Hoping to work with you once again. :)

lotiasite Fc thank you for drafting me once again!! Loved working with you both, you both are great managers :). I wish I can work under you in the next AGPL as well. I'm sure you both will kill it next time around.

shoutouts to the likes of Opnoob 598 Alpha1013 Agcl2 Ragib for always helping me test whenever I needed to and always motivating me. I wish I can work with you guys in the future

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)