Porygon2 (Full Revamp) +

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Generally pokemon don't like to be set up on. Especially by the #1 used pokemon for the last 2 months with a sky high attack. There's a reason celebi has been using hp fire more recently, to not allow scizor to set up on it. You're assuming that you have every single one of your pokemon at full health. At the very worse hp fire could act as a last ditch move to take down scizor. However, on a pokemon as slow as P2, I don't think it works well enough to warrant a slash, at best it belongs in other options. Discharge hits scizor plenty hard anyways and if you're lucky you'll get a paralysis. I'd like to note that cressy as an "overspecified counter" is not fair to cressy, if you had said something like scarfcune, that would have been better. And lastly, "easily walled by stuff" is extremely vague, and doesn't exactly help your argument. And of course toxic is invaluable on P2, as it allows it to beat, say, zapdos.

Tbh I agree with Chris. When using Porygon2, I found that having a reliable status move in the last slot was pretty essential to discourage the likes of Zapdos, Tyranitar and Togekiss from coming in freely. Hidden Power Fire doesn't seem that helpful as Scizor is faster than Porygon2 anyway and will Brick Break/Superpower you, so it's only really acting as a deterrant from it switching in in the first place. I can see the value of Hidden Power Fire, but Toxic/Thunder Wave are much more useful imo.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Scizor outspeeds Porygon2 and can OHKO with +2 Brick Break: 98.6 - 116.5%

Also, Porygon2 can only OHKO with HP Fire if it switches into Scizor and copies Technician:

Non-Technician HP Fire 60 vs 32HP Scizor: 77.5 - 92.7%
HP Fire 70 vs 32HP Scizor: 91.3 - 108.0%

Not to mention that many Scizor run a lot more HP EVs than that (232).

Porygon2 can counter a lot of things, but I don't think Scizor is one of them. Anyway, the last slot is so much more helpful with either Toxic/ Thunder Wave, instead of using a Hidden Power that can sketchily kill a single specific threat.
I'm reposting this for the purposes of this discussion. Being a long time user of Porygon2, I can say with certainty that a status move in that last slot, be it Thunder Wave or Toxic, is far more useful and helpful than HP Fire. If you use the standard EV spread on p2 (the one that lets you safely counter Gyarados and Salamence), you cannot OHKO Scizor with HP Fire unless you get the Flash Fire boost from a Heatran, or you run HP Fire 59 and switch into Scizor to get its Technician. The first scenario is highly unlikely to occur, and the second is impractical for reasons posted above.

Regarding p2 trapping Magnezone and using HP Fire to take it out, here are some calculations:

HP Fire 70 vs 0/0 Magnezone: 42.7 - 50.5%

Timid unboosted Thunderbolt vs 252/0 Porygon2: 43.3 - 51.3%

Magnezone outspeeds Porygon2, and by running HP Fire you will not be running Thunder Wave to slow it down. So it will 2HKO Porygon before it is 2HKOed by HP Fire.

Scizor is all about preventing it from setting up on you. You don't need to OHKO if it switches into Discharge, as I said. If Scizor does switch into Discharge, you have a 30% chance for a surefire kill (paralysis). I don't understand why people would downplay this - if Scizor was so easily countered, it wouldn't be #1 in use still.

For Magnezone, while I usually run a few SpD EVs on p2 to make him more of a balanced supporter (something like 52, p2 doesn't need full defense in either case) you can still beat Magnezone due to recovery and leftovers, especially if it's scarfed and locked into something else. Also, Magnezone can come into p2 and set up a sub every time if you're not running HP fire.

The main problem I have here is gauging exactly how useful these other moves are to p2. No, HP fire is not amazing, but neither are Toxic or T-wave (nor Conversion2 for goodness sake). They both allow quite a few free switch-ins, especially for ever-so-common steels. They also entice you to stay in on things you shouldn't, mainly resttalk or natural cure walls as well as random Substitute users who will be glad to set up on you.

Really, status options are not always desirable. Paralyzing something means it won't be affected by Toxic Spikes. Paralyzing or poisoning something means I can't put them to sleep later. Paralyzing Bronzong means it laughs at you. Status makes Heracross and friends even better switchins to you. We know how this works. I think people should be made aware that there is another useful option if they think running Toxic or T-wave on p2 is not going to be a good fit on their team.

There was a special defensive Porygon2 set but Caelum deleted it. Had Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Ground. Take it up with him, not me.

And as LR pointed out, Scizor destroys Porygon2 fairly easily. If you paralyzed Scizor you pretty much wrecked it as you just said, and can kill it with something else quite easily. Porygon2 needs to have that status attack to ruin things he can't threaten super-effective.

recently i have been using the standard 252/216/40 porygon2 with thunderbolt and although sending it in on scarftran is pretty easy it has problems with subtran seeing as how most of the time thunderbolt wont break its subs if you could include a better ev spread to handle subtran under evs that would be great something like 252hp/168df/88spatk
does:

Damage: 75 - 88

Damage: 23.15% - 27.16%

has over 50% chance to break subs and still handles gyarados and salamence pretty much the same i really think this is important and i think it should get a mention​

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Thing is, what is heatran doing back to you? If it is going for toxic, if it has a sub up, it's going to get in that toxic anyways. You're immune to fire blast and earth power should do little enough damage to recover off at some point. Besides, I see P2 more as a "back up" heatran counter. I'd always prefer to pack an additional bulky water (or latias) to deal with it more effectively and proactively.

A few comments:

[SET]
name: Defensive Duck
move 1: Discharge / Thunderbolt
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Recover
move 4: Toxic / Thunder Wave / Magic Coat
item: Leftovers
ability: Trace
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpA
All I did here was change the order of those two. I would mention in the set comments that Discharge is better with Toxic and Thunder-Wave works better with Thunderbolt, since Thunderwave + Discharge is redundant IMO, and P2 can use the extra power.

[SET]
name: Trick Specs
move 1: Trick
move 2: Recover
move 3: Discharge
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Choice Specs
ability: Trace
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpA
OK, this set bothers me because it isn't offensive enough and it IS choice specs. I would probably make a separate set that is more offensive at minimum. Something like this:

name: Choice Specs
move 1: Tri-Attack
move 2: Discharge
move 3: Trick / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Ground (Steelix)
move 4: Recover
item: Choice Specs
ability: Download / Trace (Omit this line, but definately list merits of both)
nature: Modest
evs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe (Speed EVs for Skarmory in OU)

This set packs a ton of power, so don't underestimate it: This is usable in UU at the very least:

+1 Choice Specs Tri Attack vs. 252 / 0 Milotic - 58-69%
+1 Choice Specs Tri Attack vs. 252 / 252 Clefable - 54-64%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)