ability: Download
evs: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Defense

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
-Defeats most leads in the metagame
-Decent sweeper late game
-Hits hard as fuck
-Fast enough to outspeed every lead it needs to

Additional Comments:
-Modest and max Special Attack is to OHKO attacking lead Machamp 87% of the time with Psychic
-Download helps it get a Sp. Atk boost against most leads
-Trick can be used over whatever move if you really want it
-Hyper Beam can be used over Tri-Attack to OHKO lead swampert 100% of the time, lol
-Icy Wind lowers the speed so you can 2HKO Azelf and Aerodactyl leads, while they only get 1 attack off and cant kill you
-Download can raise your Special Attacking, which nets it some much needed OHKO's.

Teammates and Counters:
-Works well on offensive teams, since you get an early advantage
-Still countered by blissey easily
-Faster pokes fuck it over
-A poke to take Infernape leads, such as Gyarados, partners well.

Calcs to show the amazing power:

+1 Tri-attack vs. standard lead Swampert: 94.51% - 111.47%
(his Earthquake only does 50.32% - 59.62%)

+1 Hidden-Power (Ground) vs. Naive Shuca Berry Heatran: 127.16% - 150.00%

+1 Hidden Power (Ground) vs. Lead Metagross: 116.25% - 137.19%

Psychic vs. Attacking Lead Machamp: 98.16% - 115.49%
(OHKO 87.18% of the time)

+1 Icy Wind vs. Naive Lead Azelf: 77.74% - 91.78%
(Speed drop ensures he only gets 1 move off. Psychic only does 58.01% - 68.59%. Pretty much the same thing against lead Aerodactyl.)

Tri-Attack vs. Standard Life Orb Starmie: 96.93% - 114.18%
(Life Orb Hydro Pump does only 86.17% - 101.61%, which is only a 7.69% chance of an OHKO. After Life Orb damage, Tri-Attack kills it.)

Icy Wind vs. Anti-Lead Dragonite: 126.32% - 148.61%

Basically, the only leads you lose to are Infernape and Roserade, although you can survive Roserade's Leaf Storm and 2HKO back with Icy Wind, but if they use Sleep Powder, you lose. Against Jirachi, you can just switch out to something like a Heatran, giving you a free chance to use stealth rock, thus getting a win imo.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ooh, a mediocre anti lead, what a great birthday present

3/4 of your moves are terrible to be locked into and the fourth is piss weak. It's slow, it's uninteresting, and a massive liability to ever use. It can't do a damn thing against suicide leads except get set up on by the lead AND whatever comes in afterwards. Having Normal as a STAB sucks in a metagame infested with Rotom-A and Gengar.

It loses horribly to suicide leads, it gets slept by Roserade, it has to deal with flinch from Jirachi, it can't do anything to Skarmory and Forretress (rare but infuriating), Download is unreliable at best, and all in all I can't think of a worse way to lead than with this Pokemon. It's a choiced Pokemon where all four attacks suck to be locked into, and guaranteed that even if you kill the opposing lead, you'll still have to switch out immediately and start the game on the defensive. It's like Specs Heatran, except terrible.

ooh, a mediocre anti lead, what a great birthday present

3/4 of your moves are terrible to be locked into and the fourth is piss weak. It's slow, it's uninteresting, and a massive liability to ever use. It can't do a damn thing against suicide leads except get set up on by the lead AND whatever comes in afterwards. Having Normal as a STAB sucks in a metagame infested with Rotom-A and Gengar.

It loses horribly to suicide leads, it gets slept by Roserade, it has to deal with flinch from Jirachi, it can't do anything to Skarmory and Forretress (rare but infuriating), Download is unreliable at best, and all in all I can't think of a worse way to lead than with this Pokemon. It's a choiced Pokemon where all four attacks suck to be locked into, and guaranteed that even if you kill the opposing lead, you'll still have to switch out immediately and start the game on the defensive. It's like Specs Heatran, except terrible.

so its not terrible to be locked into -2 specs overheat with heatran?

Icy wind isnt meant to be a "strong" attack, its to beat azelf and aerodactyl. It beats most every lead easily.

btw, i'd rather be locked into a +1 tri attack than a specs -2 overheat. its setup bait for gyarados, dragonite, tyranitar, etc. It also hits a ton harder than specs heatran, since you are comparing them.

Download isnt unreliable at all. You get a special attack boost when their defence is higher than their special defence. meaning you get a boost against swampert, azelf, metagross, heatran, and most others, while machamp is OHKO'd by psychic, and aerodactyl is 2hkod by icy wind and either attacks, or gets SR off and dies. specstran fails agains aerodactyl leads and Azelf gets SR and explodes doing over 70%. this outspeeds and OHKO's everything heatran does including other heatran.

so "It's like Specs Heatran, except terrible." i really dont understand...

"I can't think of a worse way to lead than with this Pokemon. "

being up 6-5 with a good chance the opponent doesnt get SR up is bad apparently?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heatran is significantly better midgame than this Porygon-Z. Better defenses, more reliable power, better attacking type(s), potential Explosion, etc. This set can barely switch into anything midgame, and it guarantees that whatever it's locked into, it's going to suck and be potential setup fodder.

does fine with life orb tbh. you're not stuck and anythign your initial move doesn't kill, icy wind normally does, which is extremely useful if they're saving it for bait

and i used loPZ lead plenty of times so pretty much sds doesn't know what he's talking about

252 HP evs...no SpAtk evs...Icy wind...your calcs are based on download being successful...there is already a choice specs set onsite...my eyes are burning...

Seriously, first your OU Medicham Anti-lead and now this? Please... stop making halfassed leads to get attention...

Edit: With LO this set is even less effective, and it doesn't stop leads like Swampert from setting up stealth rocks.

I've tested this set out in the past, and I personally think it's a viable lead, although I'll leave its viability to the QC team. But I must ask, why 252 HP EVs? What is Porygon-Z surviving with those EVs, and why should it survive it? Plus, the lack of power isn't very good at all. For instance, your calcs show you can sometimes OHKO Swampert and take an Earthquake, but Swampert may still get rocks up. Why not use max Special Attack and OHKO Swampert there and then and not worry about rocks at all?

I've tested this set out in the past, and I personally think it's a viable lead, although I'll leave its viability to the QC team. But I must ask, why 252 HP EVs? What is Porygon-Z surviving with those EVs, and why should it survive it? Plus, the lack of power isn't very good at all. For instance, your calcs show you can sometimes OHKO Swampert and take an Earthquake, but Swampert may still get rocks up. Why not use max Special Attack and OHKO Swampert there and then and not worry about rocks at all?
In case you hadn't noticed, even with 252 Hp evs Porygon-Z is taking over half from an unboosted Psychic from Azelf... Imagine what would happen if it didn't have those EVs...

It would lose against the most common lead in the OU metagame.

Point made.

Look in the counters section in his write-up:
"Faster Pokes fuck it over"
Let's see... how many pokemon are faster than Porygon Z... gotta think about that one for a while...

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As displayed in this post located in Porygon-Z's update, we rejected a lead set whose purpose was quite similar to the one that's in the OP of this thread. Additionally, that set didn't lock itself into a move because it wasn't carrying a choice item, and to top it off, it couldn't even compete with the beautiful spread that the one proposed here has.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to vote against the addition of this set to Proygon-Z's on-site analysis.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
Yeah, this set is going nowhere fast, and it's not even anywhere near as good as another lead Porygon-Z using Icy Wind that was proposed.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

In case you hadn't noticed, even with 252 Hp evs Porygon-Z is taking over half from an unboosted Psychic from Azelf... Imagine what would happen if it didn't have those EVs...
In case you hadn't noticed, here is the calculation for lead Azelf's Psychic against Porygon-Z: 58.2% - 68.8%. So the situation is the same, Azelf Psychics, you Icy Wind and Porygon-Z outspeeds and KOes Azelf next turn. This set will mostly likely go to Locked/Outdated anyway, but just make sure your proclamations are correct before stating them next time. Thanks.

252 HP evs...no SpAtk evs...Icy wind...your calcs are based on download being successful...there is already a choice specs set onsite...my eyes are burning...
supposed to be speed / sp. atk whoops :s

idk what u mean about the calcs...

i also realized sds was right about damn near everything, and it was poinless arguing :p

didnt realize a lead pz was posted before =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)