Approved Pokemon Yellow Colosseum2 Mechanics Mod(?)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
In Pokemon Yellow, there is a second "Colosseum" available in the Cable Club. This is dubbed "Colosseum2" and is one of the main ways to play 3 of the formats that were promoted by The Pokemon Company at the time. For example, Stadium Tour 2000 ran brackets for them.

Colosseum2 allows Pokemon Yellow players to play the following formats, all of which would later become available in Pokemon Stadium;
  • Poke Cup / Nintendo Cup 1997
    • The official competitive format for Pokemon Red and Green. This is coming to PS very soon!
    • Given this would be played on Yellow in this case, moves from after 1997 would theoretically be allowed, such as Wing Attack Scyther and Bind Pinsir.
  • Petit Cup
    • If you remember Fancy Cup from Pokemon Battle Revolution, it was originally based on this! Only small, unevolved Pokemon were allowed.
  • Pika Cup
    • A very primitive Little Cup, where only L15-20 Pokemon were allowed. Since you can get an L15 Chansey, I'll let you guess what happened as a result. :fukyu:
It also makes these mechanical changes, which is partially why I'm here;
  • Blizzard's Freeze chance is changed to 10%
    • This makes the format less based around freezing opponents, removing the imperative need for Ice-types.
  • Sleep lasts 0-3 turns
    • This absolutely guts Hypnosis and allows Pokemon to wake up as soon as they're slept. As such, sleepers become very rare.
Right now, it's impossible to simulate the mechanical changes for Colosseum2, meaning that Colosseum1 mechanics have to be used instead. While this is enforceable, it's technically wrong and inaccurate to how the formats were originally played during the Yellow era on the Game Boy. This leads some players to use Stadium instead, which while the most common, changes a lot of what players are used to on main series cartridge. Those are, effectively, two separate formats due to the mechanic changes. Substitute is amazing, stat modification glitch removed, Hyper Beam is always a forced recharge, etc. Literally every Pokemon uses different sets in Stadium.

However, the changes aren't that large. Ergo, making an entire format on PS could be seen as a bit iffy. I think there could be some kind of rule/mod available for room owners to use when making tournaments. But, I believe this is some new ground in that area, as it's not exactly a ban or a clause, is it? These are entire mechanic changes. I'm not sure how this would be implemented without making an entirely new format, and I don't think that's something that would be desired on PS Main. I'm assuming it depends on demand. On that note, it should be noted that Nintendo Cup 97 is rarely played on Colosseum2. Pokemon Battle Historia goes over it here in Japanese; essentially, the Bind wrong side fainting glitch doesn't happen which causes a massive desync that cannot be played through unlike most. It could also be due to personal preference and compatibility with other games. As a result, one of the main reasons this would be implemented in the first place isn't really there.

So overall, I believe there should be some kind of Mechanics Mod or something that can be applied through room tours. I'm really not sure how this could be made, but I think it could be really nice for somewhere like the RoA room on PS Main. At a big stretch, you could say making those "invisible" formats you can only bring up through room tours could be an idea to ponder? I dunno, just throwing ideas at the wall here.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
(For the record, you mean 10% freeze chance; its hit chance is still 90%.)

As far as I'm aware, PS's "Gen 1" is International Yellow, which has a 10% freeze chance for Blizzard everywhere.
Yeah I meant freeze chance, sorry lol. Thank you for the clarification!

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Zarel told me to post this in the thread, so here goes.

Given Nintendo Cup '97 is going to be coming to PS, it should be noted that the Frz chance change will come into play there if this mod is used. It's a Japanese format and will be using JP Cart Mechanics by default, which includes 30% Frz Blizzard.

I'd like clarification on which option has actually been approved: the mod or the format.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I wasn't aware that Nintendo Cup '97 was coming to PS. I want to hear more about that.

I approve the mod. I will leave it up to The Immortal whether or not it should be its own format; if not, we'd have to update the custom rule system to support custom mods (which shouldn't be too hard, tbh).

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
This thread had it and NC2000 approved since August (thread became a shitshow due to some disagreements though), and it has been worked on by Enigami for a good while. The Immortal initially tried working on it to attract the Japanese players to PS, but had issues and shelved it due to the Level Sum Rule. It wasn't until recently it was picked back up. RBY 2k20 has been taking interest in the format, so we've been working on stuff (research, suggestions, ruling checks, tests) surrounding it to ensure it gets the best implementation possible. Thus why Enigami decided to work on it since. It has a mostly-working implementation on Pokemon Perfect.

@Zarel If you want to know about the Nintendo Cup 97/Poké Cup you can check the brief analysis that Plague von Karma and I made here. In my analysis I just talk about the History of the format; below my post is Karma's analysis which includes the teams that were used by the finalists of the real tournament (Nintendo Cup 97/Poke Cup was a real life event).

I think that Colosseum 2 mechanics could be enforced via a command, e.g." /tour rules yellow mechanics" or "/tour rules colosseum 2 mechanics".

Please remember that the only difference between Colosseum 1 and Colosseum 2 mechanics is this: Sleep lasts between 1 and 3 turns. In Colosseum 2, if a pokémon is put to Sleep by a move like Lovely Kiss, there is a 33.3 % chance that it will wake up on turn 1, a 50 % chance on turn 2 and a 100 % chance on turn 3.

So given that we have Nintendo Cup on PS, that means we have all the relevant mechanics as well regarding level limits and team preview, right?

I would love to see this format but with the Colosseum 2 mechanics. Seems like it'd be the true pinnacle of Gen 1 competitive, if you want to go by official competitive rules.

I personally would add all three Col2 formats (Pika Cup, Petit Cup & Poke Cup). Or just Poke Cup.

(just to be clear, this would also have team preview, bring 6 pick 3, & all the clauses from nintendo cup)

I personally would add all three Col2 formats (Pika Cup, Petit Cup & Poke Cup). Or just Poke Cup.
Colosseum 2 mechanics were approved long ago, but they have not been implemented because no one had time to do it. If you have the programming skills to add those formats, I think that you should talk with Enigami, I think that he is one of the main programmer of Pokémon Showdown.

And while we're at it, maybe you could ask if we can also add Colosseum 1 Pika Cup, Poké Cup and Prime Cup (aka, the 1999 formats).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)