SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Idk how true the Wolfen stuff is but he was being a douche, saying he took the leaks in such poor photo quality to troll people and was doing stuff like demanding money and free art drawings before he would release more leaks. It would explain why he's being so shitty about the leaks.

PS: Pretty sure Cinderace came from Wolfen or whoever his contact was because it fits in with his MO (ie, shitty quality scans of the guidebook)
In that case, I am confident enough to declare Cinderace as fake. If I were Blitzamarin I would actually remove Cinderace from the leaked mons list until we get more evidence it is real

In that case, I am confident enough to declare Cinderace as fake. If I were Blitzamarin I would actually remove Cinderace from the leaked mons list until we get more evidence it is real
I'm not quite in the loop here. Wasn't Cinderace on the same page as other starters?

1572735139868.png

I'm not quite in the loop here. Wasn't Cinderace on the same page as other starters?

The name "Cinderace" is real in case the other starters are as well, but the design itself could still be fake

The design comes from a distinct image from this one, and no one is sure if that image really comes from the same source that took these photos (confirming its veracity), or if it's just a fake thrown in the middle of the images

Here's another (possible) leak of Intelleon doing a pose. If you look very carefully, you can actually see it shooting bubbles from its little fingergun.

The key takeaway, however? It looks SO much better in a not awful looking photo in an action pose.
First appearance on 4chan's vp: https://archive.nyafuu.org/vp/thread/40665327/#40676069

Much higher res (1512x2016) so easy bet this is the origin. Claims to also be from a guidebook leak...

The name "Cinderace" is real in case the other starters are as well, but the design itself could still be fake

The design comes from a distinct image from this one, and no one is sure if that image really comes from the same source that took these photos (confirming its veracity), or if it's just a fake thrown in the middle of the images
The guy who leaked the design also leaked the name "Cinderace" tho. It's very unlikely he got the name right by complete accident.

A good rule of thumb for Pokemon leaks is that the more people hate a design and try to prove it fake, the more likely it is its real :P

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I love how we have no idea what's real enough to be real anymore. It's madness! I almost want this all to be fake just because of what it would mean. >:D

I'm glad this Cinderace is probably fake. That thing is way too human, and that's coming from someone who hasn't had a problem with human like Pokemon. Pretty sure it's the"clothes" that does it...
View attachment 203763
Here's another (possible) leak of Intelleon doing a pose. If you look very carefully, you can actually see it shooting bubbles from its little fingergun.

The key takeaway, however? It looks SO much better in a not awful looking photo in an action pose.
I really don't like Sobble and Intelleon because of their noodle arms, but this changed my mind.

Edit because we posted at the same time:
The guy who leaked the design also leaked the name "Cinderace" tho. It's very unlikely he got the name right by complete accident.

A good rule of thumb for Pokemon leaks is that the more people hate a design and try to prove it fake, the more likely it is its real :P
Actually, there was a picture with the other two starters that cut off Cinderun's pic but still showed the name. (or atleast part of it.)

Edit Again: Here's the pic.

sure

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyways, even if we agree that Kanto, as always, get too much attention as of late, the likes of Butterfree, Kingler and Machamp does needed a Gigantamax form to stand out during Gen 8.
So do the likes of Girafarig, Beheeyem and Pyroar. It's not only Kanto 'mons that become lost in obscurity as time goes by, but they're disproportionately well represented among those lifted out of it.

I don't think people have a problem with Kanto getting attention per se. The problem comes when Kanto gets attention and hardly anbody else does. Repeatedly. Megas were quite fine in that respect; there was a lot of Kanto representation, but most other gens got their share too. If anything, the issue of Gen VI was just that Kanto 'mons were put too much towards the frontline in-game in XY. The "KANTOOOOO" meme seems to be more recent than that, it's a late Gen VII thing, but I think its roots are found in Gen VI (even though Megas had little to do with it): The overuse of Kanto in XY made fans aware of the favouritism, and from then on Game Freak seems to have doubled down on it. Kanto 'mons overwhelm Gen VII almost as much as they did Gen VI, then there was a dedicated Kanto game in LGPE, and still we're seeing Kanto over-represented in Gen VIII, as if LGPE wasn't enough. Even after fans began expressing that they've had enough of Kanto now, and wish for other generations to get a share of the limelight, the Kanto pandering coupled with an apparent neglect of later generations continues in full force.

What we're seeing with the KANTOOOO meme, and which I think is a legitimate concern in light of Dexit, is fans starting to lose hope for their post-Kanto favourite 'mons. If your favourite Pokémon is something obscure like Crawdaunt or Aromatisse, and Game Freak says they'll cut down on Pokémon representation in future games while continuing to frontline Kanto (and the current generation, but that one will be dropped like a hot potato the minute the next gen is out), what can you expect for your favourite 'mon? The hopes of it getting an upgrade was slim enough already, but now it has to compete for even being in the games. The whole Dexit discussion is a separate topic for a separate thread, but combined with Kanto favouritism it sends a very strong, if inadvertent message: "Don't get too attached to anything unless it's from Kanto; we won't give it any attention and may not even keep it around in the future". And if that's the case, why stick around with the franchise if it contines to frontline Pokémon you don't care for, while forgetting the ones you do? If the reason why you're a fan is effectively removed from the games, why would you keep buying them? I don't think Pokémon has quite lost it yet, and it's still a little too early to tell exactly how Gen VIII will fare, but I think the strategy chosen for the next few games will make or break the future of the franchise.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Ehh the Intelleon art doesn't look official to me, colors are pretty flat and the image is crisp but there's an odd page white out on the side. Def leaning on the side of this just being (admittedly nice) fanart.

I don't think people have a problem with Kanto getting attention per se. The problem comes when Kanto gets attention and hardly anbody else does. Repeatedly. Megas were quite fine in that respect; there was a lot of Kanto representation, but most other gens got their share too. If anything, the issue of Gen VI was just that Kanto 'mons were put too much towards the frontline in-game in XY. The "KANTOOOOO" meme seems to be more recent than that, it's a late Gen VII thing, but I think its roots are found in Gen VI (even though Megas had little to do with it): The overuse of Kanto in XY made fans aware of the favouritism, and from then on Game Freak seems to have doubled down on it. Kanto 'mons overwhelm Gen VII almost as much as they did Gen VI, then there was a dedicated Kanto game in LGPE, and still we're seeing Kanto over-represented in Gen VIII. Even after fans began expressing that they've had enough of Kanto now, and wish for other generations to get a share of the limelight, the Kanto pandering coupled with an apparent neglect of later generations continues in full force.
XY made fans aware of the noticeable Kanto bias... because that's where it actually started. For example, in Gen IV, Gen I is the one that gets the most new cross-generational evolutions (counting both Leafeon and Glaceon as one)... but it's only one more than Gen II, which has 51 less Pokémon. Gen III had 6, but it can be excused as it was the most recent one by then.

I love how we have no idea what's real enough to be real anymore. It's madness! I almost want this all to be fake just because of what it would mean. >:D

I'm glad this Cinderace is probably fake. That thing is way too human, and that's coming from someone who hasn't had a problem with human like Pokemon. Pretty sure it's the"clothes" that does it...

I really don't like Sobble and Intelleon because of their noodle arms, but this changed my mind.

Edit because we posted at the same time:

Actually, there was a picture with the other two starters that cut off Cinderun's pic but still showed the name. (or atleast part of it.)

Edit Again: Here's the pic.

Yeah, but the solo Cinderage image was posted before the picture showing the other two starters.

Checking the /vp/ thread where the leaks first dropped, I'm wrong, but the solo Cinderage image was posted about an hour after the starter evo set image. It's not impossible but I really doubt someone was able to fake something like that so fast, especially since the images do align with each other perfectly.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Yeah, but the solo Cinderage image was posted before the picture showing the other two starters.
That's just straight wrong lmao, we saw that page that showed the other two and Cinderace's name nearly a day (not actually that long, but it felt like it) before Cinderace came out.

Saw this thread. The gist of it is that apparently a tcg temp came to the /r/pokemon discord and dropped some info last Tuesday. Seems easy to verify since it's public and all. The OP is an image of a compilation post made after the fact, but this snippet seems to describe the Sobble family nicely.

1572737118045.png

1572737292055.png

*Whistles*
That is some big fanart.

EDIT:
It's not impossible but I really doubt someone was able to fake something like that so fast, especially since the images do align with each other perfectly.
Sounds suspicious to me. Could be one photo purposely cropped but that makes me think it wasn't actually two separate photos.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So do the likes of Girafarig, Beheeyem and Pyroar. It's not only Kanto 'mons that become lost in obscurity as time goes by, but they're disproportionately well represented among those lifted out of it.

I don't think people have a problem with Kanto getting attention per se. The problem comes when Kanto gets attention and hardly anbody else does. Repeatedly. Megas were quite fine in that respect; there was a lot of Kanto representation, but most other gens got their share too. If anything, the issue of Gen VI was just that Kanto 'mons were put too much towards the frontline in-game in XY. The "KANTOOOOO" meme seems to be more recent than that, it's a late Gen VII thing, but I think its roots are found in Gen VI (even though Megas had little to do with it): The overuse of Kanto in XY made fans aware of the favouritism, and from then on Game Freak seems to have doubled down on it. Kanto 'mons overwhelm Gen VII almost as much as they did Gen VI, then there was a dedicated Kanto game in LGPE, and still we're seeing Kanto over-represented in Gen VIII, as if LGPE wasn't enough. Even after fans began expressing that they've had enough of Kanto now, and wish for other generations to get a share of the limelight, the Kanto pandering coupled with an apparent neglect of later generations continues in full force.

What we're seeing with the KANTOOOO meme, and which I think is a legitimate concern in light of Dexit, is fans starting to lose hope for their post-Kanto favourite 'mons. If your favourite Pokémon is something obscure like Crawdaunt or Aromatisse, and Game Freak says they'll cut down on Pokémon representation in future games while continuing to frontline Kanto (and the current generation, but that one will be dropped like a hot potato the minute the next gen is out), what can you expect for your favourite 'mon? The hopes of it getting an upgrade was slim enough already, but now it has to compete for even being in the games. The whole Dexit discussion is a separate topic for a separate thread, but combined with Kanto favouritism it sends a very strong, if inadvertent message: "Don't get too attached to anything unless it's from Kanto; we won't give it any attention and may not even keep it around in the future". And if that's the case, why stick around with the franchise if it contines to frontline Pokémon you don't care for, while forgetting the ones you do? If the reason why you're a fan is effectively removed from the games, why would you keep buying them? I don't think Pokémon has quite lost it yet, and it's still a little too early to tell exactly how Gen VIII will fare, but I think the strategy chosen for the next few games will make or break the future of the franchise.
Hard(ish) disagree. I'm the guy who's been doing the regular dex updates on the official Sword and Shield news thread, and from a representation standpoint Kanto doesn't really have much of a lead. Lemme get the latest stats real quick, keeping in mind these aren't considering leaks...

Kanto - 49 (46 original, 3 regional variants)
Johto - 31 (22 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions) (+3)
Hoenn - 33 (30 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution) (+1, I already had Shiftry counted last update)
Sinnoh - 34 (21 original, 10 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions) (+2)
Unova - 64 (all original) (+6)
Kalos - 28 (27 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 28 (all original) (+1)
Galar - 30 (28 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 296 (+12)

Percentages (Rounded down, now going down to nearest tenth for overall Galar Dex %)
Kanto - 32% of Kanto mons, 16.5% of Galar Pokedex
Johto - 31% of Johto mons, 10.4% of Galar Pokedex
Hoenn - 24% of Hoenn mons, 11.1% of Galar Pokedex
Sinnoh - 31% of Sinnoh mons, 11.4% of Galar Pokedex
Unova - 41% of Unova mons, 21.6% of Galar Pokedex
Kalos - 41% of Kalos mons, 9.4% of Galar Pokedex
Alola - 32% of Alola mons, 9.4% of Galar Pokedex
Galar - 10.1% of Galar Pokedex

At first it seems Kanto has a pretty big lead, but that's only in terms of overall Galar Pokedex. When you look at representation from the home dex and compare it to others, Kanto only has a measly 1% lead over Johto and Sinnoh, and is tied with Alola. It's actually Unova and Kalos who have the disproportionate lead, especially Unova who wins both categories. Now this is obviously incomplete and could be upset in the final product, but for now there's not much cause for concern roster-wise.

And it's not like the other generations' obscure and unpopular Pokemon have been totally axed. We've seen Vespiquen, Maractus, Unfezant, Qwilfish and more confirmed. This is also Cherrim's first appearance in a regional Pokedex since Diamond, Pearl and Platinum: It was catchable in games like ORAS but only via postgame activities.

So on those two fronts - representation and usage of less popular/liked Pokemon - I'd say Gens 2-7 and their fans have nothing to worry about. The only admittedly biased point is alternate forms like Gigantamaxes and Galarian forms, but you never know, those could turn around with more reveals!

Can we please, please, please stop shitting our pants over Gen 1 stuff? This shit is getting [REDACTED]-tier annoying and repetitive. We get it, GF likes Kanto mons, now let's move on please and judge these forms on their own merits.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hard(ish) disagree. I'm the guy who's been doing the regular dex updates on the official Sword and Shield news thread, and from a representation standpoint Kanto doesn't really have much of a lead. Lemme get the latest stats real quick, keeping in mind these aren't considering leaks...
It's not necessarily that Kanto is favoured when it comes to the Dexit policy of these games, but the way Kanto 'mons are consistently given the new tools of each generation in a way other gens aren't, it still creates the impression that Kanto 'mons will be favoured going forward. Maybe not in terms of inclusion in this game, or the next, or possibly ever, but the impression stands that the other generations aren't cared about to the same degree. There will always be hope for obscure Kanto 'mons to be brought to the limelight through the gimmick du jour, while obscure Sinnoh or Kalos 'mons appear doomed to stay obscure forever. Gotta have that sixth alternate form of Lickitung before Carnivine can get something.

And it's this impression of favouritism that shapes the views of long-term fans. Maybe the favourite Pokémon won't be axed from the games forever, but that impression that the chance is half'n'half at best can quickly kill the enthusiasm for the games. For now, it might be two separate truths that 1) TPC favours Kanto, and 2) not all Pokémon will be in the games going forward, but fans are going to see them in light of each other, mix them up, and decide that there's writing on the wall and it's not boding well for their prospects of future enjoyment of the franchise.

What I'm saying is, the franchise doesn't have to actually be devolving into a complete Kanto pander-fest where all other generations are neglected, but the impression that it is can still take root in fan circles. And if that idea settles and spreads into the wider Internet culture, the whole image of Pokémon may go belly-up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)