SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Look, we can argue all day about whether Gigantamaxing sucks, whether it's a waste of space that came at the expense of other things like [REDACTED], whether they should've just done new Megas, so on and so forth.

But if there's one thing Gigantamaxing has already done better than Mega Evolutions did in their debut it's that a substantial amount are actually being given to Pokemon from their generation of origin this time. No matter how much you like Megas and decry GF for scrapping them, the fact only one Gen 6 mon (a Mythical no less, so basically useless for Game Freak-sanctioned competitive formats) got a Mega throughout that generation's entire run is still fucking stupid. And while you can say Gen 7 started this trend with exclusive Z-Moves being given largely to Gen 7 mons, those were far more undercooked and didn't change the Pokemon they were used by too much, not like Gigantamaxing giving them new forms entirely. In addition, those were only given to popular and "marketable" picks like the starters, mascot legends and Mimikyu, whereas the Galar Pokemon Gigantamax forms seem to have a way more varied distribution.
My big worry with this (and I'm someone who is mostly an optimist on everything else) is what happens next gen, or whenever they decide to ditch dynamaxing and gigantamaxing? Since mega evolutions and z-moves were revealed as gimmicks that aren't returning, what happens in a gen or two when this even more gimmicky thing falls by the wayside? A lot of these gigantamaxed new pokemon look really cool, and like their designs were based around it even. Do they no longer show up in anything, and a lot of people's reasons for liking these pokemon, a lot of the reason they will be competitively viable (if they are) disappear? Does pokemon home have a pokemon stadium-esque function that allows all forms of every pokemon to be used in one place, or at the very least some separately released game?

At the very least with megas, they were all pokemon that existed before, so the blow of them no longer having those forms isn't QUITE as bad as these new pokemon potentially becoming half of what they were intended to be in a few game's (or even one game's) time. Only time will tell I guess.

Look, we can argue all day about whether Gigantamaxing sucks, whether it's a waste of space that came at the expense of other things like [REDACTED], whether they should've just done new Megas, so on and so forth.

But if there's one thing Gigantamaxing has already done better than Mega Evolutions did in their debut it's that a substantial amount are actually being given to Pokemon from their generation of origin this time. No matter how much you like Megas and decry GF for scrapping them, the fact only one Gen 6 mon (a Mythical no less, so basically useless for Game Freak-sanctioned competitive formats) got a Mega throughout that generation's entire run is still fucking stupid. And while you can say Gen 7 started this trend with exclusive Z-Moves being given largely to Gen 7 mons, those were far more undercooked and didn't change the Pokemon they were used by too much, not like Gigantamaxing giving them new forms entirely. In addition, those were only given to popular and "marketable" picks like the starters, mascot legends and Mimikyu, whereas the Galar Pokemon Gigantamax forms seem to have a way more varied distribution.
But its not so different? So far most gigantamaxed forms and galariam forms are still... kanto. It did change it up a bit by having gen 8 mons but having gen 1 and gen 8 is not varied distribution whatsoever, gens 2-6 are being ignored.. Again

One gigantamax for garbador still equals the one mega we got for audino

And one galarian form that isnt kanto is not impressive so far

Just like with Z-Moves, Gigamaxx forms seem to be just anothwr way to masturbate Kanto while keeping some new mons there to hide that fact. Same with Galarian forms so far, with Zigzagoon being an exception to justify furry Gene Simmons without bringing back cross-generational evolution. I bet whatever the number of Gigamax galar mons is, the Kanto amount will be higher. And everyone knows Garbodor is there just out of spite.
I wouldn't necessarily say that Garbodor is for spite and zigzagoon is an exception. I think they're token picks, there just so people can't say all the stuff is going to Kanto. Just like Mega Audino and Diancie and the lack of gen 5/6 megas.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't necessarily say that Garbodor is for spite and zigzagoon is an exception. I think they're token picks, there just so people can't say all the stuff is going to Kanto. Just like Mega Audino and Diancie and the lack of gen 5/6 megas.
Then you have the exclusive Z-moves, in which the Kanto ones outnumbered the Alolans (I'm counting the two Pikachu as well as retcon Raichu) before USM. Zigzagoon seems to be odd one out of laziness to create more badgers, though only time will tell if he's the only form (which I'm betting but hoping that I'll be wrong).

And come on, the creator of the most hated Pokémon visually being big part of the creature designing and of art design not taking a stab at the critics? This sounds too innocent to be true.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Just like with Z-Moves, Gigamaxx forms seem to be just anothwr way to masturbate Kanto while keeping some new mons there to hide that fact. Same with Galarian forms so far, with Zigzagoon being an exception to justify furry Gene Simmons without bringing back cross-generational evolution. I bet whatever the number of Gigamax galar mons is, the Kanto amount will be higher. And everyone knows Garbodor is there just out of spite.
Bro, just listen to yourself for a sec. "Masturbate Kanto", "Garbodor is there just out of spite", lmao what the fuck man. Can we just cool it down with the Kanto hate boner? This shit's getting way more annoying than the genwunner bogeymen you guys always rant about. Maybe my standards are too low, but I don't care who gets the cool transformations so long as they are in legit need of a buff, I just want the cool transformations! Like if the speculation about Gigantamax Gengar actually comes true I'll happily ride on the hate train and call bullshit, but for now I enjoy Kingler, Machamp, Butterfree, yes, even Charizard. And does anyone seriously think that the only non-Gen 1/8 mon they'll give a Gigantamax form to is fucking Garbodor? Maybe if it was like Lucario or Scizor or another popular mon not from gen 1 I'd see it, but Garbodor? Yeah, no, there's gonna be more, and if I'm wrong I'll happily do something embarassing.

Then you have the exclusive Z-moves, in which the Kanto ones outnumbered the Alolans (I'm counting the two Pikachu as well as retcon Raichu) before USM. Zigzagoon seems to be odd one out of laziness to create more badgers, though only time will tell if he's the only form (which I'm betting but hoping that I'll be wrong).

And come on, the creator of the most hated Pokémon visually being big part of the creature designing and of art design not taking a stab at the critics? This sounds too innocent to be true.
James Turner did not design Garbodor. He did design the Vanillite line, but not Garbodor. Please don't spread misinformation to fuel your dumb rant.

Don Honchkrorleone

Bro, just listen to yourself for a sec. "Masturbate Kanto", "Garbodor is there just out of spite", lmao what the fuck man. Can we just cool it down with the Kanto hate boner? This shit's getting way more annoying than the genwunner bogeymen you guys always rant about. Maybe my standards are too low, but I don't care who gets the cool transformations so long as they are in legit need of a buff, I just want the cool transformations! Like if the speculation about Gigantamax Gengar actually comes true I'll happily ride on the hate train and call bullshit, but for now I enjoy Kingler, Machamp, Butterfree, yes, even Charizard. And does anyone seriously think that the only non-Gen 1/8 mon they'll give a Gigantamax form to is fucking Garbodor? Maybe if it was like Lucario or Scizor or another popular mon not from gen 1 I'd see it, but Garbodor? Yeah, no, there's gonna be more, and if I'm wrong I'll happily do something embarassing.
I like Kingler too, however ignoring the Kanto power in marketing of these games is being extremely naive and/or stupid. Kanto is what moves the vault, no matter if you agree or disagree. That's why I still hold megas in high regard, because at least there was an attempt of masking, but now they don't care anymore. The games are not made for the fans, they're made for the money. And Kanto sells more. It's not a hate boner, it's just the constatation of how the sausage is made, and I'm sorry if you cannot comprehend that or if that shatters a mental area. That's why "KANTOOOOOOOOOOOO" became such and brilliant meme, and why even with more Galar forms, they focus specifically on the Kanto ones for trailer. I said I want to be wrong, but I don't have any good prospect especially with the Charizard champion.

James Turner did not design Garbodor. He did design the Vanillite line, but not Garbodor. Please don't spread misinformation to fuel your dumb rant.
On this I concede even though your rhetoric seems to be ad hominem, but the circumstance is too obvious. The world is too cynical for this to be a mere coincidence, unless Giga Stantler and Giga Cherrim appear.

Sobble 3rd evo is disgusting.
The drum gorilla evo is mediocre, will see little play I'm guessing.
The only palatable one is scorbunny. Even then a lack of secondary typing pretty much screws it in terms of competitive viability.

I dont get why they ditched z moves and megas. People want mega zard x not fucking bloated kingler. Once the novelty of these reveals wears off the rest of you will see GF is removing legit game substance for a cheap veneer.

If my bad vibes turn out to be telling the truth, this is a true behemoth far beyond even the Grinch leak. The consequences of that scenario will extend far beyond this community: Videogame leaks all over will never be trusted or taken seriously ever again unless it is literal gameplay footage.
That wouldn't be evil genius if that was made in purpose by someone from, well... Nintendo PR?

Anyone remember grinch leak? We used to say its too perfect too, we even had more evidence it was real with all the employee drama that was identified in the picture and real life but it still turned out to be false
To be honest I still don't know why that had any traction to begin with. The fact the Grinch is not a videogame character should have been enough to discredit that 'leak' (or at least it was to me).

These ones are plausible, at least.

Kim Possbubble? It's kinda forced...
Maybe, but yes, it's kind of forced as the "joke" with James Pond is that it's also the name of a videogame character.

You know, this is actually a pretty good idea. It really wants a more efficent way of triggering sun, and lacks the fire coverage that would allow it to make do with regular Dynamax.
And that's why I find that unlikely, as they'd have to make two separate Gigantamax models, one per forme, due to its ability.

I'd discard all mons able to change formes in battle as Gigantamax candidates.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
To be honest I still don't know why that had any traction to begin with. The fact the Grinch is not a videogame character should have been enough to discredit that 'leak' (or at least it was to me).

These ones are plausible, at least.

Maybe, but yes, it's kind of forced as the "joke" with James Pond is that it's also the name of a videogame character.
The leak wasn’t the grinch being in smash, the reason it’s called the grinch leak is because a never-before-seen render of the grinch from the upcoming grinch movie also happened to be in the shot with the poster showing the new characters, giving it credibility

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
And everyone knows Garbodor is there just out of spite.
On this I concede even though your rhetoric seems to be ad hominem, but the circumstance is too obvious. The world is too cynical for this to be a mere coincidence, unless Giga Stantler and Giga Cherrim appear.
"Eww, those foul peons are complaining about Kanto Pokemon getting too many entries in our new transformation gimmick. I know! Let's spend money and resources to give one of their golden boys they insist is overhated a new form! That will show them! Mwahahaha!!!"

...Yeah, doesn't sound like the most realistic thought process to me.

anyways let's end this little back-and-forth here i got better things to do and dont wanna clog up the thread if you really really wanna discuss this further let's move it to DMs

Don Honchkrorleone

"Eww, those foul peons are complaining about Kanto Pokemon getting too many entries in our new transformation gimmick. I know! Let's spend money and resources to give one of their golden boys they insist is overhated a new form! That will show them! Mwahahaha!!!"

...Yeah, doesn't sound like the most realistic thought process to me.

anyways let's end this little back-and-forth here i got better things to do and dont wanna clog up the thread if you really really wanna discuss this further let's move it to DMs
And for a company that is already snapping most of their creations till next game, that doesn't seem unreasonable...

If they put Charizard they can give three variants to shit mons that no one cares like Drampa they'll still make a million. As long as Kanto is pandered.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
And for a company that is already snapping most of their creations till next game, that doesn't seem unreasonable...

If they put Charizard they can give three variants to shit mons that no one cares like Drampa they'll still make a million. As long as Kanto is pandered.
Or better, just use the 151 original Pokémon and no other Gens, and no more new Pokémon. If GF really believes that Kanto sells a lot, they should only use them long time ago.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

shit mons that no one cares like Drampa
Seriously bro? Did you actually just say this right in my fucking face?

1572732865559.png

Ok enough of this let's move on to more pressing matters that won't start a big fight

1572732746816.png

Apparently this is a thing that happened. Now it could be totally false, but if real it's very shitty. Also, is this Wolfen guy the one who posted the Cinderace image? Because if this is true, this could very well prove Cinderace is fake. After all, he's clearly an untrustworthy person who'd do stuff like that for fame...

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
*looks at Let's Go*
That wouldn't stop them from trying again but in an island, would they?

Anyways, even if we agree that Kanto, as always, get too much attention as of late, the likes of Butterfree, Kingler and Machamp does needed a Gigantamax form to stand out during Gen 8. Charizard, yeah, that's pushing it, but Pikachu, Eevee and Meowth are to be expected at this point. All I can say about this is that, Garbodor or not, at the very least the Gigantamax doesn't seems to be only for Gen 1 and 8 unlike with the Z-Moves which only gives signature Z-Moves for Gen 1 and the marketable Gen 7 Pokémon.

In other words, distribution not as good as Megas (even if Megas focused too much on popularity) but not as restrictive as signature Z-Moves were.

Idk how true the Wolfen stuff is but he was being a douche, saying he took the leaks in such poor photo quality to troll people and was doing stuff like demanding money and free art drawings before he would release more leaks. It would explain why he's being so shitty about the leaks.

PS: Pretty sure Cinderace came from Wolfen or whoever his contact was because it fits in with his MO (ie, shitty quality scans of the guidebook)

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What the hell is up with all the MONOTYPES?? First eldegoss disappoints me, then sirfetchd, then ponyta, then the starters, then this absolutely adorable sea urchin

I swear if they keep up the monotypes rather than do rare typings im gonna keep playing gen 7 metagames instead
I'm actually of the opposite opinion. Gen VII went too far with the "rare types" thing, and it's refreshing to see them do fully evolved Pokémon without any of the "supernatural or man-made" types: Psychic, Ghost, Fairy, Dragon, Dark, Steel, and Fighting. In recent generations, there haven't been many legendaries or late-game, fully evolved Pokémon without those typings. I believe it's fully possible to create interesting Pokémon through monotypes or combinations of the other types, and I hope Gen VIII will explore that principle further. Nothing wrong with making a Ground/Grass Pseudolegendary, for instance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)