Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Hero Trio: I'm guessing they'll be part Poison. I say this because of the rope accessories that they're each wearing. Not only are they purple, the larger hoops on the rope ends also look somewhat like one eyed skulls, which are telltale signs of the Poison type. Would be really cool to have a Poison Legendary Trio for once. Purple Skull could be a hint at being Ghost or Dark as well, but I doubt that. They don't look related to the afterlife at all, and we already had a Dark Quartet in the baseline game. Given that, I suspect their final typing would be:

Poison/Flying Pheasant, Poison/Fighting Dog, and Poison/Dark Monkey

As for the masks in the trailers, I suspect they won't have any battle significance. My hunch is that it's a story teaser. My theory is that these "heroes" aren't heroes at all. They're scammers who dupe people into believing that they are there to save the day, when all they want is the glory. I mean, look at those smug faces on those guys. Do they look like they're up to any good? In other words, these "heroes" are two-faced, hence the masks.
Gonna go out and say that not only are they the "villains" but the wee mask guy (haven't learned new names yet) is actually trying to alert/warn the villagers that they aren't heroes/helping them and ultimately turns out to be the hero of the story

The more I look at Iron Leaves the more I dislike the design

The design in the book looked great, this is just an uninspired mess. I thought Iron Jugulis was boring but Iron Leaves is literally just the original Mon with minimal changes

I am not the biggest fan of Walking Wake either but the Violet paradox mons are such a fumble

A story thought occurred to me: if Tera proper is specifically tied to the Paldea region, it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense for it to be usable in the outside region that DLC1 takes place in. Obviously, they wouldn't drop the generational gimmick from the gameplay, so they would instead need to implement lore around some effect mechanically equivalent to Tera that occurs in the new region. Seems like a reasonable guess that that's what the masks and associated legendary are about.

A story thought occurred to me: if Tera proper is specifically tied to the Paldea region, it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense for it to be usable in the outside region that DLC1 takes place in. Obviously, they wouldn't drop the generational gimmick from the gameplay, so they would instead need to implement lore around some effect mechanically equivalent to Tera that occurs in the new region. Seems like a reasonable guess that that's what the masks and associated legendary are about.
That's already kind of accounted for by the story. According to the lore, the Terastal Phenomena originates from the Great Crater (which is why the Professor had to build their Research Labs in such a dangerous location), and the Tera Orbs they invented allow the effect to be performed on a whim anywhere else and recharged. The Tera Raid Dens seem to dissipate daily so the immediate explanation is they scatter Terastal Energy that doesn't last away from the Crystal Deposit.

In short, the Tera Orbs already explain away how we could use the gimmick outside the Paldea region proper, while Future Gen explanations will simply be that no one outside Paldea makes or knows how to make them.

Gonna go out and say that not only are they the "villains" but the wee mask guy (haven't learned new names yet) is actually trying to alert/warn the villagers that they aren't heroes/helping them and ultimately turns out to be the hero of the story
Could be. If we use the Momotaro archetypes, the Three Heroes are the Pheasant, the Dog, and the Money, with Ogerpon as the Ogre Villain. That still leaves Momotaro, the Peach Boy and main character in the story, a role which I suspect is being played by... Ogerpon again. The back of its head looks like a broken off stem from a fruit. Also each of its feet look like a peach's "rump" with two leaves sprouting from it.

Could be. If we use the Momotaro archetypes, the Three Heroes are the Pheasant, the Dog, and the Money, with Ogerpon as the Ogre Villain. That still leaves Momotaro, the Peach Boy and main character in the story, a role which I suspect is being played by... Ogerpon again. The back of its head looks like a broken off stem from a fruit. Also each of its feet look like a peach's "rump" with two leaves sprouting from it.
I think us, the players, are supposed to be Momotaro. Befriending the three mons and facing against Ogerpon at the end

Praying against all hope that neither of the new legends have a "combine with another form to unlock its real power in one of two ways" gimmick. Those mons are always enormously obnoxious to optimise on cartridge and I don't get why GF loves the gimmick so much, especially given one of the forms has always been obviously superior to the other every time they've done it *and* they're always ugly as sin.

Praying against all hope that neither of the new legends have a "combine with another form to unlock its real power in one of two ways" gimmick. Those mons are always enormously obnoxious to optimise on cartridge and I don't get why GF loves the gimmick so much, especially given one of the forms has always been obviously superior to the other every time they've done it *and* they're always ugly as sin.
I mean with Calyrex which one was stronger was a matter of whether you were playing Singles or VGC.

I mean with Calyrex which one was stronger was a matter of whether you were playing Singles or VGC.
Fair point, yeah.

On an unrelated note, I think the otherwise baffling "design" of Iron Leaves is meant to be that it can function well in any of the terrains. It has Grass and Psychic STABs which directly benefit from the relevant terrain, one of its STAB moves also directly benefits from Electric Terrain (which also gives it a boost thanks to Quark Drive), and it obviously likes not being able to be burned under Misty. It also resists all three of the offensive terrain types itself and doesn't care about status immunity while hitting Tapu Fini hard with one of its STABs, limiting your opponent's ability to use the terrain usefully.

Fair point, yeah.

On an unrelated note, I think the otherwise baffling "design" of Iron Leaves is meant to be that it can function well in any of the terrains. It has Grass and Psychic STABs which directly benefit from the relevant terrain, one of its STAB moves also directly benefits from Electric Terrain (which also gives it a boost thanks to Quark Drive), and it obviously likes not being able to be burned under Misty. It also resists all three of the offensive terrain types itself and doesn't care about status immunity while hitting Tapu Fini hard with one of its STABs, limiting your opponent's ability to use the terrain usefully.
I find it interesting that Wake is only effective in Rain and Sun (it even loses Blizzard compared to Suicune) while Leaves is directly boosted by three terrains and still helped by the last one. If they were fully symmetrical, we'd expect something like Grass/Steel for Leaves (good in Grassy/Electric, less use for Misty since it's already poison-immune, default type for the appearance mirroring Dragon on the past mons). Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I think there's some interesting discussion about one of a pair having simpler aesthetic design and more expressive mechanical design.

View attachment 495740
Iron Leaves extending its red crests into blades is pretty cool.
This is basically the same design concept as Valiant. Surely it's coincidental but ultimately kinda neat that both Wake and Leaves seem to roughly echo Moon and Valiant as dragon/blade-wielder.

That said assuming one was playing Scarlet that means each of the noble paradoxes (to borrow from Khu's parlance) was part Dragon typing. Really hoping Terapagos doesn't get some super world eater dragon form like we've gotten out of every third legendary for the last 20 years. It's beyond tired.

I didn't say they don't host any tournaments at all, all I said was I recalled Joe offered a potential reason Worlds was unlikely to be held in Spain and it might have been a legal reason, but come to think of it it might also have just been something like there is no local TPCi office there. But, I couldn't find the tweet to check.
So your statement is based on nothing? cool

It definitely looks like the first DLC is based on Momotaro
which I'd usually guess would lead to some Momotaro themed clothes, but this is S&V so I doubt we'll get that, much less the jinbei shown in the official art

I find it interesting that Wake is only effective in Rain and Sun (it even loses Blizzard compared to Suicune) while Leaves is directly boosted by three terrains and still helped by the last one. If they were fully symmetrical, we'd expect something like Grass/Steel for Leaves (good in Grassy/Electric, less use for Misty since it's already poison-immune, default type for the appearance mirroring Dragon on the past mons). Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I think there's some interesting discussion about one of a pair having simpler aesthetic design and more expressive mechanical design.
Definitely no knock on the idea of this sort of divergence -- I really liked how Xerneas and Yveltal were very similar "on their face" but ended up playing extremely differently -- but I wonder if the simpler explanation is that they were only considering the weathers/terrains that provide offensive boosts, and the utility with Misty Terrain was more of a happy accident.

What I'm wondering is if the other two box legends will expand upon the theme of the two box legends setting field effects and give them actual competition. It wouldn't be especially creative, but the monkey getting a Grassy Hadron Engine and the turtle getting Rainy Oricalchum Pulse would make some amount of sense.

(Incidentally, are the two new paradoxes internally classified as legendary?)

I got Iron Leaves without Nintendo Switch Online, but when my friend tried the same things I did, it didn't work. What I did was:
1. Go to the Poke Portal
2. Go to Mystery Gift
3. Check Poke Portal News
4. Exit the menu and disconnect from the internet
5. Find the raid and defeat Iron Leaves.
Does anyone know why it didn't work for my friend? And how to make it work for them?
Edit: If it matters, they don't have a SD card and have the 1.20 update.

Last edited:
I got Iron Leaves without Nintendo Switch Online, but when my friend tried the same things I did, it didn't work. What I did was:
1. Go to the Poke Portal
2. Go to Mystery Gift
3. Check Poke Portal News
4. Exit the menu and disconnect from the internet
5. Find the raid and defeat Iron Leaves.
Does anyone know why it didn't work for my friend? And how to make it work for them?
Edit: If it matters, they don't have a SD card and have the 1.20 update.
Have they beaten the game? You have to have beaten Turo/Sada to get 5 Star Raids.
Could also be normal/ice. If you look at the term Pagos from Greek it's etymology is very related to ice and/or frost.
That's very much a reach, the Pagos is pretty clearly from Galapagos.

My suspicion is we either get Paradox forms of the other trio members (Raikou/Entei; Cobalion, Terakion) either in the lead up to the DLC or not at all. I am immensely skeptical of them ever releasing the mons as the sketches we were shown in the book.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 23-52-43.png

Surprisingly, the eShop gives estimated release dates of Dec 31, 2023 and April 30, 2024 for the two DLCs, when the presentation said "Fall 2023" and "Winter 2023". I would've expected it to say Nov 30 and Dec 31 instead (since they wouldn't reveal which month of fall).

For comparison, SwSh's DLC was presented as "June 2020" and "Fall 2020", and the eShop said June 30, 2020 and Nov 30, 2020.

(For a more obscure comparison, Cadence of Hyrule was announced March 2019 and presented as "Spring 2019", and the eShop said May 30, 2019, but right before that day the eShop quietly changed it to June 20, 2019, the technical last day of spring. It ultimately released on June 13, 2019.)

View attachment 496332

Surprisingly, the eShop gives estimated release dates of Dec 31, 2023 and April 30, 2024 for the two DLCs, when the presentation said "Fall 2023" and "Winter 2023". I would've expected it to say Nov 30 and Dec 31 instead (since they wouldn't reveal which month of fall).

For comparison, SwSh's DLC was presented as "June 2020" and "Fall 2020", and the eShop said June 30, 2020 and Nov 30, 2020.

(For a more obscure comparison, Cadence of Hyrule was announced March 2019 and presented as "Spring 2019", and the eShop said May 30, 2019, but right before that day the eShop quietly changed it to June 20, 2019, the technical last day of spring. It ultimately released on June 13, 2019.)
I'm sure the eShop has done this before where the dates were just.. not correct, so it's not the easiest way to grab an accurate date.

If that is true though, then waiting until October (which was likely anyway) is.. what it is, but an additional six months for the second part is grating, especially as base SV is not that interesting, so even October is a bit of a stretch. Right now there aren't many reasons to continue playing SV for a long period of time, so unless something interesting comes in Summer, then.. idk. Maybe a 1.3 patch with a Battle Facility? We can only hope.

It's especially annoying when these are continuations of a somewhat unfinished story from SV, having to wait 18 months for a conclusion is very unsatisfying. At least with the Expansion Pass from SWSH it released in the Summer with HOME in February, so we at least had some new toys to play with.

I do just hope that because the release dates are potentially so far out that they're putting a lot of content into them, the SWSH EP was fine I guess but got boring quick. Considering they're advertising them as travelling to "new regions" perhaps the content will reflect that of a pseudo-region, (obviously not as much as a base game) but taking onboard the critical feedback of SV (Which they seem actually quite eager to rectify) and making the DLC truly immersive and large.

(aware a lot of my own reasons are coming into play with this lol, i'm sure a lot of others have found longevity reasons to play but i haven't played SV properly since Jan)

I can hope though, right? :zonger:

I think SV had a pretty finished story honestly. There was sufficient narrative pay off, it just had mysteries in its margins to be picked up on.

Anyway yeah there's no reason to take the eshop dates at face value. Why they're so far off (Even in terms of "Winter" going into 2024 that would likely place it around...March, I think, not April) who knows but those are always the worst case scenario. Engage's DLC punted everything to December 2023 and then turned around and released Wave 2 two weeks after the game came out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)