Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

I'm more concerned with how Quaxley is not Water/Flying out of the ball. Rowlet get away with Grass/Flying just fine. Maybe they didn't want kids with Quaxley hard times with a Pikachu two routes away.
Quaxley isn't flying type because that would influence the type matchups between the starters. The starters are used to teach new players how types can interact, but this lesson wouldn't work if Quaxley isn't weak to grass. Rowlett didn't have this problem at all, because it's still weak to fire and it still resists water.

I'm super hopeful for a Fire/Grass Fuecoco final evolution. It's the big swing people have been suggesting about a chili-based grass type for a while now and it fits so well. Obviously doing that to a starter of all Pokemon is a little extreme, and would probably have to be mirrored by giving sprigatito water and quaxley fire just so the balance between the three of them isn't weirdly lopsided. The starters as a game design element usually teach a lot about type balance and that big a loop mid game might be odd for new players. Still, I think there are reasons Gamefreak might be interested in it. They seem to adore surprising players, and boy oh boy would making a cycle of starters where they share another starter's type certainly shake up the mold. I don't expect it, but then again, I didn't expect evolving legendary Pokemon either.

Here's hoping for Grass/Water Sprigatito3, Fire/Grass Fuecoco3, and Water/Fire Quaxley3!
I don’t think it’s as extreme as it first looks. They did a somewhat similar thing with Gen 4 with Water/Steel, Fire/Fighting and Grass/Ground, which actually balances their weaknesses to each other and allows the traditional weaker matchup to actually be a threat in return (eg, Infernape can threaten Empoleon and so forth)

We are long overdue a Fire/Grass type. And Water/Grass is such a missed opportunity with only Ludicolo to show for it. Fire/Water only has a mythical to it’s name. So really, it’s a logical choice if they have the balls to do it.

If we don’t get that, I’d love another Water/Steel type in the game. And Fire/Fairy or Fire/Dragon, and Grass/Dark or Grass/Psychic or Grass/Rock could be cool. It’s not a perfect trilogy but nobody says it has to be. And we have enough Grass/Fighting lately.

and is nobody else gonna talk about how ugly the humans in this games are?
the faces are so awful even in the art that it literally hurts to see them!
Now that you mention it, I did notice the face on the player character in the trailer looked different from usual! I don't dislike the shift and I completely understand Game Freak wanting to try something a little different, but the human characters feel more like they're from a generic CG movie than Pokémon.

The game just came out recently. Why even bother?
I heard people defending it by saying "You still have 8 month to enjoy it at least." but to me it comes off as if Legends Arceus is just filler not worth bothering by both fans and Gamefreak themselves. I don't know the reasoning but its baffling that they immediately bomb us with games.

With SwSh, while I didn't like the game, it seemed like after the release they are taking time with the games. Now we got like 3 new Pokemon games in 1 year related to the main series.
Reminder that Arceus reportedly had development issues that kicked back its target window. Arceus and SV were very likely co developed while BDSP was outsourced so GF could spend more time experimenting with these new open world esque grounds. Id still reccomend getting Arceus as its a great game in its own right and will give you a taste of whats to come, but i understand why if you dont wanna

Reminder that Arceus reportedly had development issues that kicked back its target window. Arceus and SV were very likely co developed while BDSP was outsourced so GF could spend more time experimenting with these new open world esque grounds. Id still reccomend getting Arceus as its a great game in its own right and will give you a taste of whats to come, but i understand why if you dont wanna
I think that's interesting considering the game feels rushed based on release date. It got better from the reveal trailer up to the release but it itself got released a little too soon IMO. Now another potentially better version is coming out.
Why should I play similar experiences if I can wait a little longer and decide which to get? It's a weird decision in my eyes.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Gather around gang it's time for a SV story theory
View attachment 409980View attachment 409979
Ya ever notice how the two version-exclusive protagonist designs have different insignias on their sleeves? They're not just different colors, if you look closely enough the actual symbols are different. Coupled with the rumblings that they look like school kids and here's my theory:

Your player character is a student of one of two rival Trainer's Schools depending on version. The two schools are competing to see who can have one of their students beat the region's Pokemon League or fulfill some other region-specific major objective first. With this setup friends in one version become rivals in an another and vice-versa, with the main rival being the final boss.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokeLeaks/comments/t48oer
I'm just built different

Just learned this from Lockstin's latest video, Scarlet and Violet may be named so based on the colors of Spain's old flag (the Second Spanish Republic):

(Modern Spanish flag is pretty much the same but they replaced the purple violet with another stripe of red scarlet)

Also just want to point out two notable symbols on Spain's Coat of Arms in the middle there. First is the Castile, the small castle/tower structure, and the Leon, the lion. Won't get into their history, they both represent smaller kingdoms that eventually united to form what Spain is today. There's another flag of Spain which has an eagle but that one was used by a Spanish dictator so probably wouldn't be referencing that one.

As you're probably guessing with me brining this up, I'm thinking maybe design theme of Legendaries? Yeah, we already had a Lion Legendary, but we've had plenty of dragons Legendary and lions are a common symbol so I don't think anyone would bat an eye at another as long as they make it look interesting (basing it on the Leon would help in that regard). However I'm interested in maybe them doing something with the armillary sphere/astrolabe and castles. Since both have castles on them, maybe have one Legendary based on Spain which is a Castle Lion King and the other based on Portugal's which is a Fortified Armillary Sphere Rooster (I looked up other national symbols and one of Portugal's is the Rooster of Barcelos). Hey, it's an idea. :blobshrug:
Very interesting. I never thought of this, didn’t even know Spain used to have a different flag in the past. I’m unsure if the legendaries of this generation are going to have a connection to the country they are basing the region on. That hasn’t always been the case in the past. After all, we had a dragon trio based on Taoism in a region based on New York. But who knows? Anything is possible.

I thought even more about the names Scarlet and Violet since yesterday, and I remembered another thing which is probably completely irreleveant but I decided was worth a mention.
For those who haven’t read One Piece… you really should! It is amazing, definitely my favorite manga. But that’s not what I wanted to say here. In the Dressrosa arc, the royal Riku family is introduced. The two characters that I want to talk about here are the two daughters of King Riku.

1646160476514.png

First, we have the older daughter, who also ends up becoming the wife of Kyros and the mother of Rebecca. Her name is Scarlet. (In the official English translation at least, it seems like her name is "Scarlett" in the Japanese original.)

1646160565628.png

Then we have her younger sister, Viola. She ends up joining the Donquixote Pirates against her will in order to save her father’s life. During that time, she goes by the alias Violet.

Which means that One Piece secretly predicted the names for the Gen 9 games back in 2013! Or perhaps not.

Another notable thing is that Dressrosa as a country seems to draw a lot of inspiration from Spain… which is what our upcoming region is based on.

I don’t know if this has any relevance to the games, it was just something I thought about.
In the end, this is probably just a huge coincidence, but I thought I should at least mention it.

Also, two more thoughts on the starters. Fuecoco makes me think of a baby Crocomire. Which isn’t a bad thing. It is still my least favorite of the starters though. As posted yesterday, my rank is Sprigatito > Quaxly > Fuecoco. If people say "Sprigatito is nobody's favorite", then I will send an army of hungry Sprigatito to their house at night and have the cute cats steal their leftovers.

I got a different impression from the starters this time around, and I think one reason was that the first image I saw of them was the somewhat blurry image first posted on Serebii directly after the direct. Then I saw the trailer which also featured the same blurry image. The clear images of them weren't revealed until afterwards. It was different from when I first saw the Galar starters as the first I saw of them was the 3D versions of them in the reveal trailer for S/S. As for the two previous generations… I think I saw the Alola starters directly in a trailer for S/M, while I saw the official art for the Kalos starters before seeing their 3D models. Don’t really remember how it was for the older generations.

One other thing I thought of is that these games are in two versions, which somewhat feels like a step back from L:A which is just one game instead of a pair. But I guess the two versions are still going to be a thing in the future and that L:A was just an exception, sadly.

Then I have some more thoughts on the release date. I have never been a fan of the yearly releases for Pokémon games. It started during Gen 4 with Platinum followed by HG/SS in the next year, and it has pretty much continued since then. One of the worst situations I can remember from the past is when B2/W2 were released in October 2012, then X/Y were announced just 3 months afterwards and they were released just a year after B2/W2. Both are great games, but I wish the time between their releases had been longer.

At the same time, there has been some exceptions to the yearly release schedule. The first one was in 2015, when we didn’t get any new main series game. 2020 was also a bit of an exception as we got the DLC for S/S instead of a full game, which I thought was great.

Other than that, I have had some personal exceptions as well:
2010: Didn’t play HG/SS all that much as I didn’t like them. Didn’t play Platinum that much either as I was burnt out on Pokémon during this year.
2014: Didn’t get OR/AS until 2015. However, this meant that 2014 became my break year instead of 2015.
2018: Skipped LGP/E as they didn’t interest me. Played US/UM a lot instead, I really needed that extra year to complete everything I had planned to do in them.
2021: Skipped BD/SP as well. I still played Pokémon for a bit of the year. Mostly In Wonder, but also Sword a little.

The current situation feels even worse than it has ever been in the past. I am happy that I didn’t get BD/SP (or just SP in my case), playing through it in just two months followed by L:A and then S/V in another 10 months… that would have been extremely stressful. My current situation is a little better but not that much.

Sorry for ranting so much about the release date, but this is a very big issue for me, I am not happy about it at all. I am looking forward to the games, but I am not super hyped for them because of the release date.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Then I have some more thoughts on the release date. I have never been a fan of the yearly releases for Pokémon games. It started during Gen 4 with Platinum followed by HG/SS in the next year, and it has pretty much continued since then. One of the worst situations I can remember from the past is when B2/W2 were released in October 2012, then X/Y were announced just 3 months afterwards and they were released just a year after B2/W2. Both are great games, but I wish the time between their releases had been longer.

At the same time, there has been some exceptions to the yearly release schedule. The first one was in 2015, when we didn’t get any new main series game. 2020 was also a bit of an exception as we got the DLC for S/S instead of a full game, which I thought was great.

Other than that, I have had some personal exceptions as well:
2010: Didn’t play HG/SS all that much as I didn’t like them. Didn’t play Platinum that much either as I was burnt out on Pokémon during this year.
2014: Didn’t get OR/AS until 2015. However, this meant that 2014 became my break year instead of 2015.
2018: Skipped LGP/E as they didn’t interest me. Played US/UM a lot instead, I really needed that extra year to complete everything I had planned to do in them.
2021: Skipped BD/SP as well. I still played Pokémon for a bit of the year. Mostly In Wonder, but also Sword a little.

The current situation feels even worse than it has ever been in the past. I am happy that I didn’t get BD/SP (or just SP in my case), playing through it in just two months followed by L:A and then S/V in another 10 months… that would have been extremely stressful. My current situation is a little better but not that much.

Sorry for ranting so much about the release date, but this is a very big issue for me, I am not happy about it at all. I am looking forward to the games, but I am not super hyped for them because of the release date.
To me, what kinda sucks about Scarlet and Violet's announcement isn't the fact that it's being released this year, but the fact that it got announced so soon after PLA came out. Like, I can understand the fact that they're gonna abide by the yearly release schedule no matter what, but I'm of the opinion that even if Scarlet and Violet were to be out this year, they should've waited later in the year to announce it, not on Pokémon Day and only a month after Legends: Arceus hit the stores.

Like I get that February 27 is Pokémon Day and is a big time for announcements, but I really feel like it would've been much more reasonable to announce Scarlet and Violet in May/June of this year, rather than February so soon after PLA came out. It is not unprecedented for mainline games to be announced as late as May or June of the year either: HGSS, ORAS, and LGPE were announced in May of their respective years, while USUM was announced in June of its release year. This helped because these games came out just a year after Platinum, XY, and SM, respectively, but having such a late announcement in the year gave their preceding games enough time in the spotlight before HGSS/ORAS/USUM took over in that they had multiple months to stay as the main center of attention.

Granted, I know these are remakes/third versions so they are kind of a lesser concern than debuting games of a generation, but I still think they should've used the May/June time window to announce Gen 9, rather than Pokemon Day, because by the time May and June would've rolled along, PLA would've been out for three months, which would be enough time for it to have accumulated enough sales and by that point the attention towards it would've died down a little, making it the ample opportunity to announce Gen 9 in May and then build up hype for it.

And this Pokemon Day had already enough big announcements even if they didn't announce Scarlet and Violet: there was the Shaymin event for BDSP, a free content update for Legends: Arceus, and a PLA animated series. That's more than good enough for a Pokemon Day announcement. They don't need to announce a new gen strictly on Pokemon Day, and they could've afforded to wait on announcing it until PLA's hype died out a little. I think announcing SV so soon was an incredibly stupid move considering PLA has only existed for a month so far. I do know that both Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield were both announced on Pokemon Day, but the games that had preceded them had a long enough run in the spotlight beforehand: ORAS was well over a year old by the time of Pokemon Day 2016, and for Pokemon Day 2019, LGPE had existed for over three months, and even then, LGPE was a minor project and secondary concern that was catered to a very specific audience so it didn't need to be in the center of attention for long. PLA on the other hand was pushed as a huge deal that breaks a lot of series norms so for it to get overshadowed by a new generation so soon after its release is an insanely stupid move on their part.

I totally get how you feel, but I personally feel a big part of it is how soon after PLA these games were announced: while I would've preferred to see this game announced later, and from the looks of it the game looks very good and I expect myself to really like it when I play it, what really sucks for me is how soon it was announced, and I feel that it would've been more reasonable to reveal it later in the year in Q2 even if it was to release this year after PLA's hype would've naturally died down a little, then the hype for Scarlet and Violet would've been stronger in such a case. Revealing it so soon after PLA is still at the peak of its spotlight was a stupid move on their part and I feel that definitely plays a part in this.

Overall my reaction to Gen 9 being revealed can be summed up by the surprised Pikachu meme. BDSP and Legends Arceus had such a small release window between them that I was almost cynically expecting an announcement for Gen 9, but was surprised it actually happened. Sword and Shield was already three years ago, but neither Legends Arceus nor BDSP are even a year old yet so it really feels like there's no breathing room between games right now.

With all that being said, an open world mainline Pokémon game is something I've always wanted. Gen 1 has several gyms that can be done in any order and that's a part of why I still love them, but it seems more like an oversight than an intended feature. Legends Arceus also proved that exploring the world of Pokémon doesn't have to be limited to a grid and can be fun in its own right. If Scarlet and Violet can keep the best aspects of exploring the world and powering up your Pokémon in Legends Arceus without sacrificing the depth of competitive battling, I think they will be what finally rekindles my love for the series.

The starters are cute, but none of them won me over immediately. I guess Fuecoco does kind of look like an apple, and I think it would be very funny if it ended up evolving into yet another Fire/Fighting type, had apple-shaped boxing gloves for hands and was named something like Appulverizer.

As far as the story and setting go I have no idea what to expect, but I'll be cautiously optimistic for them. I don't need the greatest story in the world; "explore, get the eight badges, beat the Elite Four and get ready for competitive matches" is all the motivation I need. I do hope they'll bring back Megas, at least the ones that already exist!
I am OK with little breathing room between games (especially BDSP and Legends), as long it doesn't effect the end product of the gen 9 game. Legends, while a really good game, has little to no replayability factor. (trying to fill my dex is already killing my soul and making me bored of the map). BDSP with no official online ranked also has little replayability (for me at least) as I don't have motivation to catch everything and build competitive teams in the post game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Obviously doing that to a starter of all Pokemon is a little extreme, and would probably have to be mirrored by giving sprigatito water and quaxley fire just so the balance between the three of them isn't weirdly lopsided. The starters as a game design element usually teach a lot about type balance and that big a loop mid game might be odd for new players.
... Do they? Let's really think about it. Yeah, having Fuecoco's final evo be Fire/Grass would certainly mess around with the Type Match-ups of the Starters, but it has happened before. EDIT: Yes, I know Marzbar got to it before me, but I'm still posting what I said anyway:
  • First notable example was in Gen IV, Empoleon's Steel-type gave Infernape a chance to hit it super effectively with its Fighting-type. However, Empoleon didn't get the same benefit as Torterra became part Ground-type, infact Torterra getting part Ground still let it hit it super effectively as Grass was now neutral against Empoleon (oh, and Torterra's Ground-type gave it a way to hit Infernape super effectively as well). In terms of match-ups Empoleon really drew the short end of the stick (of course you could always give it Ice Beam or Blizzard and that'll cover it against Torterra, but we're talking about STABs here).
  • Gen VI REALLY doubled-down on the Type Triangle. First time they used the fan suggested triangle of Fighting/Psychic/Dark... but, while fans wanted it to be a reverse triangle to the Starters had an option to hit the one that was normally super effective against them, GF made it flow the same direction (which feels like missing the point having a second Type triangle).
  • Gen VII was strange. Poor Decidueye is the one that got the short end of the stick (hey GF do you have something against the bird starters?) by it's Ghost-type being weak to Incineroar's Dark. However, while normally Primarina's Fairy would hit Dark super effectively, since Incineroar is Fire it makes Fairy neutral. And Ghost and Fairy do not have any interaction.
  • And now we have Legends: Arcues which did the second Type Triangle again (though this time Fighting/Ghost/Dark)... flowing in the same direction as the primary Types. :facepalm:

Okay, so I guess in retrospect only really Gen IV buck the trend of assuring the Starters kept the Type Triangle (and even then there was ways to get around it). Still, I don't see why they can't change their mind and decide "you know what, one of the Starters final evos secondary Types will be the same as one of the other Starter's primary Type" as long as it fits with the theme of the Pokemon. Because, while it's surely discussed about the Typing they plan on doing, at the same time the Types don't usually clash with the design but rather works with it (usually). So if Fuecoco's design is based off a chili pepper and evolves into a pepper dinosaur with more obvious plant features, maybe they would make it Fire/Grass.

But would they make the others also have another Starter's primary top? Not necessarily. Once again it all comes down to design. What would they make Sprigatito into in order to justify it getting Water? Quaxly for Fire? Many are predicting Flying for Quaxly but maybe it'll surprise us and become part Dragon (cause male Ducks are called Drakes, its a word pun; Maybe instead of it becoming a "scaly dragon" it becomes a Dragoon soldier). And maybe to combat that Sprigatito with get Fairy (some have suggested its final evo could be made to be based on Puss In Boots, and while that would seem to suggest Fighting it could also be Fairy as Puss In Boots in a Fairytale and in his fable is more of a trickster than a fighter).

As for teaching Type Balance, that only matters in the beginning. By the time you're evolving your Starter you should know about Type Match-ups even if you don't know all of them, and by the time you're evolving your Starter to its final evo you should know most of the Type Chart. And thus, you should also have a varied party with additional coverage moves to help you cover gaps either in super effective moves or weaknesses. Keeping the Type Balance I don't feel is necessary for the final evos as their first forms did the job of teaching you, their evolutions should let them expand upon their own theme and design.

I'm more concerned with how Quaxley is not Water/Flying out of the ball. Rowlet get away with Grass/Flying just fine. Maybe they didn't want kids with Quaxley hard times with a Pikachu two routes away.
Quaxley isn't flying type because that would influence the type matchups between the starters. The starters are used to teach new players how types can interact, but this lesson wouldn't work if Quaxley isn't weak to grass. Rowlett didn't have this problem at all, because it's still weak to fire and it still resists water.
Yeah. As for explaining why it isn't part Flying, all they would need to say is that it prefers swimming and using its wings to dive underwater than flying which, due to how its species adapted, tires easily from too much of. See the Mergini (Sea Ducks) and Grebe bird families.

Now that you mention it, I did notice the face on the player character in the trailer looked different from usual! I don't dislike the shift and I completely understand Game Freak wanting to try something a little different, but the human characters feel more like they're from a generic CG movie than Pokémon.
The big difference is they changed the eyes from being anime horizontal ovals to being more circular.

For those who haven’t read One Piece… you really should! It is amazing, definitely my favorite manga. But that’s not what I wanted to say here. In the Dressrosa arc, the royal Riku family is introduced. The two characters that I want to talk about here are the two daughters of King Riku.
... Oda, if you're having problems drawing female characters that don't look like Nami and Robin, you could probably just commission another Shonen Jump artist to draw a unique female character for you...

But anyway, that is interesting that Oda also saw a connection between Spain and the colors of Scarlet and Violet. Maybe he too did research and saw the older flag?

To be more clear, when I said “balance” I meant less for like actual Pokémon vs Pokémon balance but like a less rigid “being interesting game design pieces” balance. Having a fire / grass starter would be really cool but also it might feel kind of weird, especially to casual players, to have one starter who gets to be two starter types. Seems like a bit of a lopsided triangle when that happens where one starter is significantly more interesting than the rest type wise. I feel like giving one another starter’s type is just begging for the other two to get them too just so they’re nice aesthetically fulfilling cycle of Pokémon from a game design standpoint.

Last edited:
Just give all the starters steel as a secondary typing. All of them would be great. Boom, done
That's been one of my pet ideas for a while. Not steel, because as said that messes with the triangle in a bad way, but Psychic, Dragon, or similar? There's plenty of types that are roughly the same for all 3 starter types, and you could do a lot of interesting stuff regarding late-game fights and certain types of stories by knowing that all 3 starters will be part-dragon by that point.

just make all three of them Fire/Fighting

game

set
and match:boi:

Seriously though, the fact that Fuecoco looks like a chili may just be either A) coincidence, or B) just a quirky design element that has no bearing on the actual typing. As much as a Fire/Grass Pokémon would be cool, I’m not really seeing GF throwing typing balance out the window like that.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Quick off-the-cuff regional dex prediction
1646214187564.png

If there's one Hisui Pokemon I could see being available naturally without transferring, I'd guess Wyrdeer. Spain does have various species of deer, and its PLA evolution method is relatively easy to translate: Just make it function like various move-based Gen 4 cross-gens where it needs to simply level up while knowing Psyshield Bash with the level at which it learns the move being moved into the mid-30s to compensate.

Above those factors though, my basis for this prediction is off its competitive design. I mentioned this in the PLA datamines thread, but with its slower bulky bruiser statline in conjunction with keeping Stantler's ability pool it's pretty transparently designed to lean extra hard into its pre-evo's unique Intimidate + Trick Room combo and make it really shine. Out of the cast of Hisui it's far and away the most tailored for Doubles specifically, and as such I struggle to see Game Freak having its first rodeo in a game with proper PVP infrastructure be one where it's barred from their primary competitive format due to being in transfer-only limbo.

Last edited:
Reading all theories makes me remember when Galar was announced, and people were predicting it to have plot connections with Kalos because some ancient conflict between England and France.

Well... For the starter trio i'm predicting Electric-Flying-Ground shenanigans. Probably Water/Flying, Fire/Ground and Grass/Electric.

Oh, and Sprigatito rules. Lazy croc and discount ducklett fans, please don't riot.

Reading all theories makes me remember when Galar was announced, and people were predicting it to have plot connections with Kalos because some ancient conflict between England and France.

Well... For the starter trio i'm predicting Electric-Flying-Ground shenanigans. Probably Water/Flying, Fire/Ground and Grass/Electric.

Oh, and Sprigatito rules. Lazy croc and discount ducklett fans, please don't riot.
Hey both England and France famously intervened in the Castilian Civil War of the 1360s.

1646268759713.png
1646268870816.png
1646268968648.png

Call me a pizza cutter because what I want are all edgy final evolutions for no point whatsoever besides coolness. While I personally loathe the Zodiac Fire Starter Theory, I saw a design for Fuecoco that gave it a crocodilian Minotaur final evolution that I fell in love with, so the idea has been rattling in my brain since.

Last edited:
I love how the current collective stance about the starters is that there is a huge discourse about the fire one and the zodiac theory; there is a huge discourse about the Grass one's stance on its legs and then the Quaxly gang is just vibing with El Patón
idk bud quaxly is apparently the 'polo-wearing young conservative' starter:
Spanish Twitter is in full agreement on it being pretty much an incarnation of the stereotypes associated with young people associated with the conservative party. I mean, it has the hairdo and the white polo shirt! It has the colors of our conservative party:

View attachment 409973
(Of course, tongue in cheek, but laughs are being had)
...which might be worse than the 'pokemon fans seeing patterns where none exist' starter OR the 'possible furry bait #7' starter

WAIT is that the new type triangle??

furries > young conservatives > Overly Online Pokemon fans > furries

(/s obviously, but lmao)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)