Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Though not as bad as SW&Sh it's still pretty bad online with the lag and desyncing. Sadly offline 5+ raids are hard to beat solo as the partner AI is still dumb and not helpful especially with how brutal the raids get.
And worst part being, allegedly from the tests on the ROMs...,
ability patches drop from 7 star raids (maybe from 6?), so we kinda *need* to do these...

And worst part being, allegedly from the tests on the ROMs, ability patches drop from 7 star raids (maybe from 6?), so we kinda *need* to do these...
6 star is the cap I think? I know they drop from 6 star raids.....with a 1% chance. Really hate they keep tying rare crap to raids when it's clear the fandom do not like these raids. Yet they brought them back again and they still are the worst part of post game.

Yeah but I think the ability patches can't be bought so you have to do raids for em.
I ended up checking on serebii, and the 7 star raids are basically meant to be event only (like the announced Charizard one), so yeh 6 star is the pain.

Also I sure hope serebii is wrong when they say there's "only one up at a given time"... the map is absolutely huge, SURELY I don't have to potentially check the entire map for that raid...right...RIGHT???

I ended up checking on serebii, and the 7 star raids are basically meant to be event only (like the announced Charizard one), so yeh 6 star is the pain.

Also I sure hope serebii is wrong when they say there's "only one up at a given time"... the map is absolutely huge, SURELY I don't have to potentially check the entire map for that raid...right...RIGHT???
Oh please god no if that's true then raids are now worse than SW&SH!

Oof. All of a sudden eternally grinding Endless Dynamax Adventures seems a LOT more worthwhile for Ability Patches.

I've noticed that in raids, if you're playing with AI allies, the boss will only target you.
Tbh I thought the boss attacked all enemies at once. I remember doing my first Tera Raid and thinking "wait the NPC actually help in this game?" Nope, they just can't die apparently.

EDIT: *NPCs

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Late to the discussion, but I think the thing to note with Leon is that his title and how he was portrayed as "the strongest Champion ever" specifically was made with respect to Galar's culture, especially in its League. In no situation should a character being described as "the strongest Champion ever" with respect to their region ever be taken to the literal wording, because it's impossible for anyone to literally be the most powerful Trainer in the world.

Galar's Pokemon League has a massive rooting in sports culture and is treated as public entertainment like how IRL you have sports being broadcasted as live entertainment on TV and in stadiums and whatnot. The Gym Challenge is held yearly and is treated as a big sporting event. The Gyms are massive stadiums with audiences and it's implied that Gym Battles are broadcasted on television as well. Every year they also have a big Champion Cup tournament in Wyndon for Gym Challengers to compete to earn the right to face the reigning Champion, who in SwSh itself is Leon. Which, mind you, also is a big public event. Battles in the Gym Challenge are basically a big sport, and fans across all of Galar treat it as such.

Leon being portrayed in-game as "the greatest Champion ever" is basically propaganda that comes with this kind of entertainment business. Yes, at his core, he is a guy who went on a journey when he was 10, became Champion, and has had an undefeated streak ever since, he's the real deal and a mirror of the player character. But him being glorified is basically tied to the Galar League being sports entertainment, and a title to prop him up and make him look "awesome" to the general public. Basically, a way to give Leon celebrity status. You know how in sports; the best and most skilled players often get propped up and given fancy titles and are made famous and end up with lots of fans? Yeah, that's Leon in a nutshell. He's propped up as a celebrity because battling is a sport in Galar, and he's basically famous and has a massive fanbase because of that and how he's the "top player" amongst Galar's battlers. You can see how he has a cape with so many company logos on it and how he goes around putting on a show for people, and how his battles are always portrayed as a big spectacle and how he puts on a public front for everyone to align with his title as the "strongest, undefeated Champion".

A lot of Leon's character in SwSh delves into how he feels about the weight of carrying the burden of that title. That he's never lost, that he has a reputation as a celebrity that hinges on that and how strong he is, and how living up to those expectations imposed by other people has really caused a great deal of stress on him and has also given him worry that he's reached his full potential. Most of his depictions even outside of the games (like the anime) also play on this. He's propped up as a great unbeatable Champion for purposes that tie with respect to the Galar League being rooted in sports culture, which helps make defeating him feel more awesome and a great feat, yes. But it also concludes Leon's character arc in that he learns he can lose again, that he can still get stronger, and that yes, there are still people who are even stronger than him. And it relieves him of those expectations, which is why he's happier when he loses his Champion position. Because he's free of having to live up to the expectations of others as a celebrity, and he becomes League Chairman afterwards where he lives not for a public image to maintain, but for his own dreams and ambitions of helping Galar's Trainers grow even stronger together. That's really what his character was all about. His title and shilling were tied to the culture that Galar had, and his character revolved around how he dealt with and felt about his public persona vs what he really wanted to live for.

--

I went on a tangent about Leon, but point being, this isn't really comparable to Geeta from my understanding. I haven't played SV yet, but Paldea's Pokemon League from what little I've heard and seen seems to have a fundamentally different approach from Galar. In Paldea, the League seems to be more of a professional business as opposed to a big sports entertainment. Instead of being like publicly broadcasted sports, the Gym Challenge and League. The Gyms are more like job interviews or business opportunities as opposed to a big event for sports purposes. You know how a professional business/company has a general hierarchy and employees are in various positions of power? Yeah, that seems to be how the Paldea League is organized. Like a big company that is a business, and Gym Leaders and the E4 and whatnot are employees of the company. And the academy in Paldea seems to be more akin to a college than K-12 school, which also works here as the Gym Challenge taking in people from the academy as potential "hires" for positions amongst Paldea's Champions.

Geeta being portrayed as the "strongest Champion in Paldea" ties into that sort of vibe with the fact that she's specifically also the chairwoman of the League here. In that since the Paldea League is more like a professional business, she's a figure of authority in that she's the owner of said business, the head of the company, the CEO, the top person in the business hierarchy. And her being the strongest Trainer in the Paldea League is enforcing that. Enforcing her as a person in a position of authority, at the top of the business. She runs the business, and she's the strongest battler amongst all the members of the "company" hence why she is at the top of the hierarchy as the one who runs and oversees everything that happens in the business. And also why she's basically the final boss/test for Gym Challengers who go through the League to earn the right to the title of Champion. Unlike Galar where there is one reigning Champion and Leon is ultimately dethroned and a new person becomes the big star of the show, in this case you're basically climbing to the top of the tower of a business conglomerate, because in Paldea the title of Champion is an honorary title you hold permanently a la Top Coordinator in the anime. And you win that title by proving yourself worthy to the head of the business, the chairwoman, Geeta, who is the one who runs the Paldea League and reinforces it by being the best Trainer amongst the lot. You defeat her, you've earned the right to the title of Champion and a high position in the hierarchy as a member of the Champion Rank in the Paldea League. So in that sense, she's more of a "she's the CEO of the business, you win the position you're aiming for in this business by proving yourself worthy to said CEO".

I rambled a lot here, but TL;DR There's really not an issue with "power creep" when it comes to portraying a Champion as the "strongest Champion ever" when you consider the different contexts in SwSh and SV, and the title isn't something you can take literally and more something you have to think about with respect to the different contexts. Galar has its League deeply rooted in sports entertainment culture, the whole thing is a big public entertainment event that has big stadiums with audiences and is broadcasted across Galar, Gym Challengers and Gym Leaders are all "players" of the sport and Leon is basically a celebrity akin to iconic sports players who is propped up for his talent and then gains a massive fanbase and celebrity status surrounding his "undefeated streak" to prop him up as a public figure and give him a glorified public image. Paldea treats its League more like a business, and Geeta being propped up as the "strongest Trainer of them all" is tied to her being the chairwoman in this case in that it enforces her authority and power as the head and owner of the League, the person who runs and oversees the business, and her position isn't to be a celebrity like Leon, but rather as someone who's "in charge", so Gym Challengers aiming for the position of Champion Rank in the League have to prove their worth by defeating her, because she's the strongest Trainer in the business, ie the person at the top of the hierarchy, and with how Champion title is treated in Paldea it's effectively you earn the position amongst others by proving yourself to the chairwoman/CEO of the business that you are worthy of the position. It's not an issue of who's stronger, Geeta doesn't need to necessarily be "stronger" than Leon, and neither of them being described as the strongest in their respective regions should be taken at the literal sense, but rather with respect to the League cultures in Galar and Paldea and how their positions in said cultures are being enforced.
As Champion Leon myself, I approve!

I've noticed that in raids, if you're playing with AI allies, the boss will only target you.
Raids are 4 battles at same time that share a hp bar / enemy buff and debuff. You only ever see attacks that target you even in multiplayer, but others definitely get slapped :>

I can guarantee you that they do get nuked at 4+ stars

Sadly online players are just as stupid as AI players just spamming legendaries against raid Pokemon without caring about typing match ups. So many lost matches from these idiots constantly dying or doing chip damage.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So not far thru the game yet, but had an interesting encounter, on the way to the school from the first town, found a cliff I’m clearly not supposed to pass, but managed to catch a Dunsparce on the other side. After the battle I was on that side of the cliff, went around and barely caught a bunch of mons above my current level :) fun times!

So not far thru the game yet, but had an interesting encounter, on the way to the school from the first town, found a cliff I’m clearly not supposed to pass, but managed to catch a Dunsparce on the other side. After the battle I was on that side of the cliff, went around and barely caught a bunch of mons above my current level :) fun times!
Good luck using higher level mons than your gym badges allow ;)

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good luck using higher level mons than your gym badges allow ;)
I mean the highest one was like 20-22 or something. Besides I’m sticking with all Paldea mons for an initial playthrough, most of the ones up there happened to be previous gen lol

Oh please god no if that's true then raids are now worse than SW&SH!
You can do raids through Poké Portal>Tera Raid Battle online with random ppl or have friends send you link code to do with them. It is much better than going around the world searching for a specific raid.

Why can't these stupid games have level requirements for joining other people's raids.

No Japanese guy, you shouldn't bring a Steel type to my 5 star Volcarona raid, and it definitely shouldn't be level 60. Not like my other teammates were much better, in the mid 60s, but at least they brought water types.

Not that it mattered, all three of them were killed in one hit. Thanks for trying I guess.

Edit: I found these link codes. Surprisingly they work and are active, though some Pokémon are in higher demands than others so you might have to search for multiple partners.

pokemon-scarlet-violet-starter-trade-codes.jpg

Pokemon-Scarlet-And-Violet-Trade-Codes.jpg

Last edited:
One last thing I wanted to mention, as we know they're split up into crews with Mela's crew being called the "Schedar Squad". So, what does "Schedar" mean? Well, it's not exactly a word, but rather its name. A name of a, get ready for it, a star! "Never heard of them". Not a celebrity, I man one of the big balls of burning gas in space!

Schedar is the name of a star in the Cassiopeia constellation. In astronomy it's given the designation of "Alpha Cassiopeiae" and is considered one of the main five stars that make up the constellation. Even though it's one of the middle stars it was likely given the alpha designation because its usually the brightest star in the constellation; that and it being a red giant could be why it was given as the name of Mela's squad as they're the Fire-type crew (we won't get into how red stars are actually cooler than the sun and is only brighter because its closer to us than the others...).

So, you're probably wondering why I mentioned all that. Well, for those paying attention, you'll note I said it was one of FIVE stars in the constellation. And how many flags indicating Team Star bases were there? Five. And, yes, each star has a name likely meaning we know, at the very least, the name of each squad (and if you're wondering if the name has any meaning, they just generally mean the part of the body that star is positioned at in the constellation). "WAIT! How do you even know that's going to be the case? What if each squad is just named after a bright star"? Good point, but if that was the case than none of the stars in the Cassiopeia constellation reaches the luminosity of the brightest stars, and also the position of the flags on the map "vaguely" matchs the positions of the stars in the constellation (and the Schedar Squad is in the same place where the star Schedar is in the constellation):
View attachment 453197

.So then, if true, here are what the other squads would be called:

LETTER - FLAG COLOR - NAME - TRANSLATION
  • Alpha - Red - Schedar - Derived from the Arabic word for "breast".
  • Beta - Yellow - Caph - Derived from the Arabic word for "palm" (as in "palm of your hand).
  • Gamma - Purple - "Navi" - Originally had no name, was given "Navi" by Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom as a joke on planning charts (its his middle name spelled backwards). Grissom would sadly lose his life during a test launch of Apollo 1 and since then NASA has used "Navi" as a nickname for the star.
  • Delta - Blue - Ruchbah - Derived from the Arabic word for "knee".
  • Epsilon - Orange/Pink - Segin - Unknown origin.
Each name is linked to a website that gives some more facts about the star. Here's the ones which standout to me:

• While I think this theory is plausible, there is another possible list of star names. While Schedar may not be on the top 50 list of brightest star, it (and the other stars in the constellation) are bright that a few get into the top 100. Schedar is so bright is considered a "Navigational Star" because its easy to identify in the night sky. It shares this distinction with names of these following stars (and in parenthesis I'll put the constellation they're in): Capella (Auriga), Vega (Lyra), Deneb (Cygnus), Mirfak (Perseus), Alioth (Ursa Major), Dubhe (Ursa Major), Alkaid (Ursa Major), Polaris (Ursa Minor), Kochab (Ursa Minor), and Eltanin (Draco). So if one of there names are used instead they're using the Navigational Stars as the squad names.

• Caph is a giant white star that's the oldest (over a billion years old), smallest, and least brightest of the 5 stars; it's only so bright because its also the "nearest" to Earth.

• Navi is a spectroscopic binary star, meaning it has another star-like object orbiting around it in a way we can see the spectral line of that object's orbit; this companion object is the size of our Sun (and there may be a third orbiting object). It is the youngest (only 8 million), biggest, hottest, and technically most luminous. However, its also the most furthest away from us, thus from Earth it appears Schedar and Caph are brighter.

• Ruchbah is an eclipsing binary star, meaning its orbiting companion crosses the "line of sight" we have with the star. There's also thought to be a giant debris disk around it, 88 Astronomical Units radius (as reminder, an AU is the distance between the Earth and our Sun; and if you're trying to visualize that, here's help: you can line-up 11,700 Earths between the distance of the Earth and our Sun; So doing the raw math, this speculated debris disk has a radius of over 1 million Earths lined-up).

• Segin is the faintest star from our point of view even though its technically the second most luminous, this is because its the second most furthest away from Earth. It's believed to have a gas shell around it that it has ejected.
So, you're probably wondering why even do this? Well, from what little I could find, Portugal apparently has a good view of not just the Cassiopeia constellation but also the Andromeda galaxy during the Summer. Why did I mention the Andromeda galaxy? Because the constellation is attributed to Queen Cassiopeia, the mother of (Princess) Andromeda. If you're not familiar with the Greek myth, basically Queen Cassiopeia boasted that her and/or her daughter were more beautiful than the Nerieds, sea nymphs and daughters of Nereus, a primordial being of the sea. But even more notably, they were companions of Poseidon and his wife was one of them. So, Poseidon got mad and demanded Andromeda be sacrificed to one of his sea monsters or said sea monster will destroy their kingdom. As Andromeda, chained to a rock, waited to be eaten, Greek hero Perseus slew the monster and saved Andromeda who would become his wife. But, still mad, Poseidon turned his wrath onto Queen Cassiopeia who he placed in the sky as a constellation, tied to her chair in the same position that Andromeda was chained to the rock.

Not sure if the mythology part would have anything to do with Team Star, though it's still all interesting.
I know that this is a very old post, but predicting the names of all of the Team Star squads two months in advance deserves some mention.

Question about the Charizard event. Once we capture it, we should be able to breed it right?

And will it have its hidden ability?

Question about the Charizard event. Once we capture it, we should be able to breed it right?

And will it have its hidden ability?
Yes you'll be able to breed it.

I believe all raids default to their Hidden Ability, so while it might be different here yeah it should have Solar Power

New patch out by tomorrow
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60277/p/989

• Season 1 of Ranked Battles will kick off, allowing you to enjoy Ranked Battles through the Battle Stadium.
    • Please check the in-game notice for more details about Ranked Battles Season 1.
  • An issue has been fixed that caused the music to not play correctly during the battles with the Elite Four and the Top Champion in the Victory Road path.
  • Other select bug fixes have been made.

We are aware that players may encounter issues that affect the games' performance. Our goal is always to give players a positive experience with our games, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We take the feedback from players seriously and are working on improvements to the games.

So they're going with a similar approach to gen 8 where the "special pokemon" were not legal at start huh (back then, it was Gigamax).

Honestly curious on if this means we'll be getting Paradox raids to allow everyone to get the other version paradoxes like they did for Gmax raids.

Also looking forward to see what "bugs" they fixed...
You know I have 0 hopes that they'd fix the memory leaks, but having the raids not constantly desync would be kinda nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)