Other Poke2Vec: Vector Embeddings of Pokemon

Untitled2.png
Hi everyone! I'm here with a project I've been working on for the past few weeks while quarantined (that is actually kind of relevant to my life outside of Smogon but that's not super important). I'm not entirely sure what I expected to get out of this when I started, but I wanted to share what I've come up with and hopefully see if people have ideas how to extend it.

Background
For people unfamiliar with the '2vec' kinds of models, the idea is to go from a one-hot encoded representation (each pokemon corresponds to an 1 in an otherwise entirely 0 vector) to a lower-dimensional one that has some useful information 'baked' into it.

Word2Vec uses the idea that a word is defined by the context it appears in. Expanding a bit, this means that words appearing in the same contexts convey similar meaning. Taken this way, it's not super unreasonable to expand this idea to Pokemon, since Pokemon that fill similar 'roles' within a team would probably find themselves having similar teammates.

Model and Data Generation
This part is a bit technical so for people who don't care about the gory details about "how" please skip to the Results section.

Model
The model I've described above (a word/pokemon being 'defined' by the words appearing in its context without consideration of position) is referred to as a Continuous Bag-of-Words approach. There are a lot of different ways to fit such a model, the way I've done it is using a two-hidden layer neural network to get two matrices of 'encodings' and 'decodings', and then average the resulting vectors element-wise to get the final embedding. Here is a helpful link that explains Word2Vec in case you're interested.

Data Generation - Theory
In an ideal world, I would have access to the actual teams that were used on PS in a given month. In the real world, I do not have access to this data, so I have to estimate it.

The monthly usage statistics files give access to the marginal (eg: P(Clefable on team)) and pairwise conditional (eg: P(Charizard on team | Clefable on team)) probabilities for all pokemon in the metagame. The problem is, the actual probability of a team cannot be inferred from this, so (incorrect) simplifying assumptions had to be made. This next part goes into more technical detail about why this happens/what assumptions end up being made, so unless you really care about statistics skip ahead and take for granted that you can get the probability of a team.

A joint probability, P(A & B & C), can (repeatedly) be broken down into a marginal and conditional probability as shown below
Code:
P(A & B & C) = P(A & B | C) * P(C)
Using pokemon in place of the placeholders, you get
Code:
P(Spinda & Clefable & Bisharp) = P(Spinda & Clefable | Bisharp) * P(Bisharp)
From the usage stats, we have the marginal probability for Bisharp. What we are missing is the conditional joint P(Spinda & Clefable | Bisharp), all we have is P(Spinda | Bisharp) and P(Clefable | Bisharp). A potential work-around is to simply use the product of the two conditionals as an approximation of the joint conditional, which gives
Code:
P(Spinda & Clefable & Bisharp) = P(Spinda & Clefable | Bisharp) * P(Bisharp)
P(Spinda & Clefable & Bisharp) ≈ P(Spinda | Bisharp) * P(Clefable | Bisharp) * P(Bisharp)
This is great, because now I can compute the probability of this trio using information available from the usage statistics files. The problem is that this makes an independence assumption, specifically that Clefable and Spinda appearing on a team is independent given Bisharp is already on the team. Put into equations, this means
Code:
P(Spinda & Clefable | Bisharp) = P(Spinda | Clefable, Bisharp) * P(Clefable | Bisharp)
P(Spinda & Clefable | Bisharp) = P(Spinda | Bisharp) * P(Clefable | Bisharp)
In my contrived example (and for certain pokemon) this assumption is probably valid (or rather not too badly violated). You might think about highly splashable pokemon (Landorus-T, TeleWish Clefable) as the reference where they’re put basically irrespective of their teammates as examples that do not violate this assumption. As for when this assumption is violated, consider a team deciding between Tapu Bulu or Tangrowth to pair with Toxapex. Certainly, P(Tapu Bulu & Tangrowth | Toxapex) is not equal to P(Tapu Bulu | Toxapex) * P(Tangrowth | Toxapex), as the former is 0 but the latter is not. Basically this set-up does not have visibility to ‘cores’ of more than 2 pokemon, which leads to some funny teams like Gliscor+Lando-T.

For specifics, the position matters so any 6-pokemon team has 6! (720) possible ways it can be arranged. The way I get the probability is, for a team of 6 pokemon (A, B, C, D, E, F) I consider the following conditional/joint breakdowns
Code:
P(A & B & C & D & E) = P(B & C & D & E & F | A) * P(A) + P(A & C & D & E & F | B) * P(B) + ...
From this, you break down the conditional joint using the independence assumption, and multiply by 5! (for the possible combinations of the 5-pokemon subteam). This way, all combinations of the 6 pokemon are accounted for in the probability, and hopefully helps deal with the violated assumption as you condition on all pokemon.

For a more rigorous look into this check out this file from the github repo.

Data Generation - Process
There are two main steps to actually generate the data, first getting the possible teams and second getting the number of occurrences.

The possible team combinations are generated using Beam Search. At a high level, if I have teams of pokemon with 4 pokemon on them (for a metagame where there are 6 pokemon per team), then all 4-pokemon teams get expanded to 5 pokemon (considering all combinations), and only the N most likely (where probability of a team is calculated as in the previous section) 5-pokemon combinations are used in the next step. While not perfect, this is much more computationally feasible than considering all possible combinations of 6 pokemon (which is unwieldy when you have more than 50ish pokemon in the metagame). There are problems with this approach, the most egregious of which is that high-usage pokemon have their usage further inflated (I’ve seen results where Clefable has 60% usage, check the Results section for an example).

Each metagame has a total number of battles, so I sample the teams from the total number of battles (the corresponding statistical distribution is a Multinomial, where each class corresponds to an individual team). There are 2 sampling set-ups available, taking the expected value (eg: P(Team) * [Total Number of battles]) and actually drawing from the distribution. This gives a resulting sample “metagame,” with teams and the number of times they occurred.

Test Set
A test set is scraped from the top-rated Pokemon Showdown replays for a given tier, with a minimum date threshold. This is to test generalizability of vectors fit to a given month to prediction in later months. As for why I can’t use this to generate the metagame, it only goes back 25 pages which is ~2600 teams at a given moment. I guess you could build a database of teams from the replays by pulling down the most recent ones constantly, but I didn’t think of that until after I wrote the team generation scripts (and these might not be representative of the metagame as a whole).

Results
Alrighty enough of me going on and on about math or whatever, here are some hand-picked results that (a) show what this project is capable of and (b) hopefully get me some grant funding Smogon Technical Project clout.

These results are from a simulation with 250,000 distinct teams based on the Gen7 OU 1695 usage stats for June 2019. The threshold for a pokemon to be considered 'relevant' is that it must get usage greater than 0.5% (this simulated metagame has 125 pokemon in it), capturing most of the pokemon reflected on the final iteration of the USUM Viability rankings. A 1% cutoff can be and results in a metagame of 89 pokemon, but misses out on such dominating metagame threats as vanilla Swampert and Muk-Alola.

Similarity to the actual 06-2019 OU Metagame
The first thing I should probably establish is that the simulated metagame is somewhat similar to the actual metagame. Looking at the marginal distributions, the simulated metagame does better than a random vector which is promising. From playing around with the cutoff percentage, the less pokemon in the simulated metagame the better the KL divergence, up to a point.
Code:
   KL.obs   KL.rand
0.1135541 0.5977038
So, in short, the simulated metagame captures the marginal pokemon probabilities better than a completely random guess. You can also look at usage stats from the sampled metagame. The pokemon at the top of the metagame have their values inflated a bit (note the usage statistics are normalized, so they won't be exactly the same as OU's usage numbers).
Code:
   pokemon          est.prob true.prob
1 Landorus-Therian    0.737     0.504
2 Magearna            0.377     0.295
3 Greninja-Ash        0.258     0.222
4 Ferrothorn          0.263     0.195
5 Tapu Koko           0.217     0.192
6 Kartana             0.204     0.189
7 Tornadus-Therian    0.192     0.163
8 Heatran             0.196     0.158
9 Tapu Lele           0.132     0.134
10 Toxapex             0.250     0.124
Holy 74% Landorus-Therian usage. Note that the real probabilities used are these numbers divided by 6, so the actual percents are a lot closer than the results here look; Landorus's difference is on the order of 12% vs 8%, and the rest of them are within 1-2% of the actual results.

Prediction Accuracy
The objective for fitting a 2vec model is, given 5 teammates, to predict the 6th (what’s his/her last?). You don’t expect the model to perform incredibly well on this task, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results so I’m showing them here. The data is augmented where each team corresponds to 6 data points, one to predict each member from the remaining 5. The vector embeddings were of size 50. Trained for 15 epochs, the model ends up at ~23% accuracy on the test set of size 5729. I’ve included a “species clause” into the predictions (ie: if Clefable is on the team don’t predict Clefable), which improves the accuracy by a few percentage points.

Something important to note is that I do not filter out cases where the model has to predict an unseen pokemon (one that does not meet the threshold to be included in the sample metagame); if it is part of the 5-pokemon used for prediction I just ignore it and if it is the thing to be guessed the model just gets it wrong. Removing the latter cases (of which there were 340) of predicting an unseen pokemon puts the model at 24% accuracy.
Code:
Test Set Total: 5735
Test Set Usage:
Landorus-Therian              UNK       Ferrothorn         Magearna
             482              340              254              230
         Heatran         Greninja Tornadus-Therian       Rotom-Wash
             220              216              189              166
Test Set Predicted Usage:
Landorus-Therian         Magearna          Toxapex          Chansey
            2303              942              433              255
    Greninja-Ash       Ferrothorn          Heatran        Excadrill
             197              167              148              138

# Uknown:  340
% Unknown: 5.93
Unknown most commonly predicted as:
Landorus-Therian     Lopunny-Mega         Magearna          Toxapex
      0.36764706       0.15294118       0.11764706       0.07352941
         Chansey        Excadrill       Ferrothorn         Quagsire
      0.06470588       0.04705882       0.02647059       0.02352941

# Correct: 1305
% Correct: 22.76
% Correct (No Unknowns): 24.19

Analysis of the Embeddings
If you remember at the start of this I said that pokemon appearing in similar “contexts” should have similar vectors. Below are some pokemon I chose and the pokemon 10 pokemon whose vectors are closest by the cosine similarity metric (which effectively is a measure of the angle between the vectors).
Code:
Pokemon Landorus-Therian
Furthest: Kartana 0.766 | Tapu-Lele 0.756 | Tapu-Koko 0.743 | Heatran 0.722 | Greninja-Ash 0.692 | Magearna 0.678 | Rotom-Wash 0.665 | Magnezone 0.662

Pokemon Clefable
Furthest: Ditto 0.88 | Gliscor 0.856 | Toxapex 0.847 | Reuniclus 0.84 | Chansey 0.826 | Hippowdon 0.733 | Celesteela 0.733 | Tangrowth 0.728

Pokemon Tapu-Bulu
Furthest: Gastrodon 0.771 | Venusaur-Mega 0.725 | Keldeo 0.719 | Tangrowth 0.706 | Garchomp 0.618 | Scizor-Mega 0.604 | Tornadus-Therian 0.595 | Zapdos 0.593

Pokemon Ferrothorn
Furthest: Greninja-Ash 0.76 | Tornadus-Therian 0.682 | Heatran 0.679 | Tapu-Koko 0.673 | Azumarill 0.66 | Landorus-Therian 0.658 | Tapu-Fini 0.655 | Gengar 0.638
I do not claim to have in-depth metagame knowledge of USUM OU at all, so I’ll only be able to make high-level observation. Clefable is interesting because Reuniclus (another slow/bulky Magic Guard user) shows up, but generally it shows up with stall pokemon. Tapu Bulu has pokemon forming good cores with it with high similarity, plus Tangrowth/Venusaur-Mega who fill the role of bulky Grass-type. Ferrothorn is in a similar boat (Ash-Greninja, Heatran, and Landorus-T forming hazard stacking cores), plus it’s kind of funny how you can make a half-decent team from the top 6 teammates.

Code:
Pokemon Hawlucha
Furthest: Porygon-Z 0.743 | Kommo-o 0.702 | Manectric-Mega 0.691 | Diancie-Mega 0.681 | Blacephalon 0.673 | Tapu-Koko 0.669 | Rotom-Wash 0.651 | Crawdaunt 0.621

Pokemon Ribombee
Furthest: Dragonite 0.908 | Azelf 0.86 | Charizard-Mega-X 0.844 | Gyarados 0.834 | Charizard-Mega-Y 0.801 | Serperior 0.792 | Breloom 0.779 | Mimikyu 0.777

Pokemon Swampert-Mega
Furthest: Pelipper 0.925 | Azumarill 0.916 | Manaphy 0.89 | Kingdra 0.867 | Volcanion 0.857 | Araquanid 0.794 | Klefki 0.677 | Diggersby 0.667

Pokemon Sableye-Mega
Furthest: Quagsire 0.922 | Skarmory 0.91 | Pyukumuku 0.897 | Amoonguss 0.866 | Chansey 0.863 | Bisharp 0.789 | Gliscor 0.781 | Zeraora 0.769

Pokemon Chansey
Furthest: Skarmory 0.919 | Gliscor 0.911 | Ditto 0.91 | Amoonguss 0.875 | Sableye-Mega 0.863 | Pyukumuku 0.837 | Clefable 0.826 | Quagsire 0.821
These next pokemon are found on very specific archetypes, and their teammates are thus reflected. Hawlucha and Robomobee have HO teammates (and Tapu Koko for terrain support in the former’s case). Swampert’s most similar pokemon are all (except for Diggersby) rain teammates. Sableye-Mega and Chansey both feature stall teammates (though I’m unsure why Zeraora shows up).

Code:
Pokemon Weavile
Furthest: Zeraora 0.838 | Bisharp 0.807 | Mamoswine 0.777 | Jirachi 0.774 | Salamence 0.698 | Muk-Alola 0.671 | Shuckle 0.642 | Amoonguss 0.585

Pokemon Bisharp
Furthest: Zeraora 0.851 | Weavile 0.807 | Quagsire 0.805 | Sableye-Mega 0.789 | Pyukumuku 0.785 | Skarmory 0.746 | Amoonguss 0.74 | Muk-Alola 0.693

Pokemon Excadrill
Furthest: Tyranitar 0.87 | Breloom 0.811 | Tyranitar-Mega 0.793 | Mimikyu 0.772 | Ribombee 0.749 | Gyarados 0.747 | Dragonite 0.746 | Azelf 0.735

Pokemon Seismitoad
Furthest: Gastrodon 0.853 | Diggersby 0.777 | Garchomp-Mega 0.756 | Nidoking 0.65 | Swampert-Mega 0.65 | Azumarill 0.627 | Pelipper 0.614 | Tornadus-Therian 0.579
This is the last batch I’m going to analyze, which highlights something somewhat subtle. Looking at Weavile and Bisharp, you see quickly that there are two different types of teammates showing up: Stall and more offensive ones. This could be an artifact of the way teams are generated, but if not it means that different parts of the pokemon vectors are able to encode different aspects of a pokemon’s teammates (ex: Weavile & Bisharp both provide pursuit support, which stall teams appreciate). Excadrill is in a similar boat, where I think one set of the nearest teammates are Sand Teams and the others like Sash Lead Excadrill (or at the very least appreciate Rapid Spin Excadrill). Seismitoad is in the same boat, except this time it's Mono-Ground and Rain teams (plus the people who use it like Gastrodon).

Overall Metagame Scatterplot
If you’ve looked at word vectors I’m sure you’ve seen those scatterplots where fruits and european country capitals form their own clusters, so here is the analogous visualization that you can make from the pokemon vector embeddings. Note that, as with any dimension reduction, information will be lost so don’t take this visualization as the end-all be-all. That being said, outside of the mass cluster at the center you do see some well-defined groupings based on playstyle. Please forgive the size it's a bit hard to get the text to not be an overlapped mess but still be readable.

plot.png

Around (-2, -1) you see, with few exceptions, a cluster of stall pokemon like Skarmory, Chansey, and Sableye-Mega. Looking to (-1, 3) you pretty much have different flavors of HO pokemon. Kind of funny but far to the right (4, 0) you have some of the Trick Room setters/abusers. If you plot different Principal Components, you see different clusters (I think 3 and 4 gives a very strong Trick Room cluster). The actual xy-positions are meaningless but similar pokemon clustering together was the ultimate point of this, so between this and the earlier analysis of cosine distance I hope I’ve convinced you that the goal has (at least somewhat) been achieved.

Duplicating these results
The link to the github is included at the end. There isn't much there besides the code but I'll fix that eventually. For anyone wanting to run this on their own, the most time-consuming tasks are generating the teams and pulling down the test set. My computer takes 15-16 minutes to simulate the metagame of 250,000 distinct teams from 125 pokemon (the config.py file has times for different metagame sizes/number of teams if you’re interested). Results are similar with less teams, if you run into memory problems (the 125x250K consumes ~23GB of RAM). Calls to get replay logs are always slow, but generating the test set is not too bad/only needs to be done once.

Fitting the embeddings should take less than 5 minutes if you’re on a GPU ; it is a relatively small one with only 2 matrices that need to be estimated. If you run into time problems on a CPU, you can tweak the metagame size to get a smaller training set, increase the batch size, or reduce the number of epochs. If you opt for reducing epochs consider reducing the dimensionality of the embeddings as well.

Future Improvements / Issues
  • Adjusting the sampling to not be heavily skewed towards the metagame giants would be nice. I'm not sure how this would be done.
  • Inferring Probabilities: From my testing the probabilities should be calculated properly, but I get weird things like this for calculating Chansey & Ferrothorn’s conditional probabilities. For Ferrothorn|Chansey you have a 13% conditional but Chansey|Ferrothorn gives you a negative percent (calculating the inflation as teammate_score / marginal[raw], and then lopping that off from the marginal). This confuses me but I’m not sure where I’m going wrong.
Code:
Ferrothorn | Chansey
Marginal: {'pct': 0.1868265, 'raw': 39762.7843985595}
Conditional: {'score': -2125.3009342376, 'inflation': -0.05344949973660783, 'raw_prob': 0.13337700026339216, 'prob': 0.13337700026339216}
Chansey | Ferrothorn
Marginal: {'pct': 0.0840403, 'raw': 18063.239634869296}
Conditional: {'score': -2158.3164441913, 'inflation': -0.11948667502726829, 'raw_prob': -0.03544637502726829, 'prob': 0}
  • Data Quality: I’d like to have access to the real team data please. In seriousness, having access to more data is always better because it allows for more depth in the model. For example, being able to see BD Kommo-O vs SR Kommo-O is helpful because they're found on very different teams, so you could fit an embedding for each type of Kommo-O. As for the simulated data I’m currently working on the KL Divergence checks for the Conditional and Joint pair distributions, but I’m running into the issues related to inferring probabilities

Conclusion
That's all I've got so far folks. Hopefully you found it as interesting as it was for me to code up. I can come up with the results for other metagames if people are interested in seeing them as well, for people who don't want to go through the trouble of setting up the environment. That being said, thanks for reading and hope you have an awesome day!

Link to Github Repo: https://github.com/aturfah/poke2vec

Last edited:
Interesting work, I am working in NLP and it looks funny to use embedding for other fields.

You point out the limitation of embedding with word2vec (cbow/skipgram) . 1 word = 1 vector is a huge limitation because a word can have several meanings in different context, that's why LSTM (ELMO) and transformer (BERT) are used to take account of context.
Here one pokémon can have different role in different team (you point it out with kommo).

A vector should represent a set and not the pokemon and if you want to keep 1 pokémon =1 vector, you should try to Train the model on older metagame (it can be funny in gen1OU)

Last edited:
You point out the limitation of embedding with cbow/skipgram. 1 word = 1 vector is a huge limitation because a word can have several meanings in different context, that's why LSTM (ELMO) and transformer (BERT) are used to take account of context.
Here one pokémon can have different role in different team (you point it out with kommo).
I think word vectors should be able to capture different word senses, don't have any papers off the top of my head but I've seen it before. I agree though, explicitly capturing teammate context for individual sets is definitely a benefit. This was more meant as a proof-of-concept to see if pokemon vector embeddings would be able to work in any capacity (also I didn't have the actual set data while doing the analysis), now that I know it can work I can go wild with the types of things I try :psywoke:

I think Transformers (maybe more specifically the attention mechanism) would be useful when doing things that require an opponent's team (ex: should I stay in or switch?). Alternatively, you could take the team encoding from a 'playstyle' prediction and do cluster analysis on that. Those are different problems though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)