HTML Pokémon World New Game

Hi all,

Just posting here to share my progress on a new Pokémon game I'm working on titled Pokémon World.

The basis around it is taking Google Maps data and generating a Pokémon world from it using colour data, currently the algorithm supports grass, long grass, flowers, and 3 types of paths, grass, sand and road, you'll see if you open the game at https://thepokeworld.com/game that it will ask for your location and generate the pokemon world based on your location, including streets and etc.. around you.

I'm just posting to see if there would be any interest from others in developing this into a fully fledged multiplayer Pokémon game with battling and levelling of Pokémon. I have the know how, have been a full-stack web developer for 5+ years, but not much time so I'm just working on this as I can, I just finished the 3rd iteration of the map generation algorithm which improves on the speed of the first iteration by over 20 times, 60+ seconds for 9 blocks compared to 3 seconds, but I digress.

If you have any interest please let me know :) I think it would be really cool to find Pokémon in your local geography and battle like the traditional Pokémon games, unlike Pokemon Go.

Anyway, kind regards! I hope you enjoy!

Hi all, first post here, be nice!

I'm just posting because I've been working on a little project called Pokémon World which I've setup at https://thepokeworld.com and visit https://thepokeworld.com/game for the actual game.

Essentially I'm taking Google maps data and using it to create a Pokémon world using the Emerald tileset and sprites.

I've done grass, long grass, flowers, and 3 types of paths, grass, sand, and road, but I'm now looking to do water/sand for beaches, but I'm having a little trouble finding the tile/animations for the ocean water in pokemon emerald.

I'm using the attached sprite extraction file, but I can't seem to find the water animation tiles, especially the water splashing up over the sand parts, I've found the sand/water parts but they seem to be missing the animated sprites.

https://i.gyazo.com/0eb6b4d56ce68b38fe50a70641b43132.mp4

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help with this or know where I can find the sprites for these animated parts?

Kind regards, excuse the attachment dump!

Lopu
I'll just quote this post here from another forum I posted in maybe someone knows a little bit about emerald sprites here

Attachments

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
This is awesome. Catching/leveling would definitely be very good as right now there’s nothing to do (maybe the pool of available wild Pokemon for a given location would be based on the surrounding scenery? Not sure how hard that would be to implement.) Also I really can’t tell where I’m actually supposed to be, so some kind of side display of the actual Google Maps location would be nice. But the most important thing imo would be new tile types, because all I’m seeing is huge stretches of grass with the occasional path. This has so much potential.

This is awesome. Catching/leveling would definitely be very good as right now there’s nothing to do (maybe the pool of available wild Pokemon for a given location would be based on the surrounding scenery? Not sure how hard that would be to implement.) Also I really can’t tell where I’m actually supposed to be, so some kind of side display of the actual Google Maps location would be nice. But the most important thing imo would be new tile types, because all I’m seeing is huge stretches of grass with the occasional path. This has so much potential.
Thanks so much, you picked up on everything it needs perfectly, I'm thinking a Minimap then pop-up on click style Google maps interface, the cool thing is I can map any pixel coordinate to a latitude longitude so I can place your location on a map exactly!!

I'm working on new tile types, currently working on ponds, and making grass more filled out rather than sporadic, and making the game easily modable like Minecraft so Generation is modular. Also working on one way walls and hills and mountains, I'm very happy you see the potential.

I will make Pokemon spawning some how location based, other ideas include making super markets Pokemarts and gas stations pokecenters.

Also, with the Google maps data I can detect house locations so I'll be spawning houses for every real life house, this will give real city vibes and houses can be bought in the game and made into private dwellings like diamond and pearl introduced with the underground.

Thanks again for replying, hope to see you around along this journey :)

Are you a html/JavaScript programmer too?

Kind regards

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)