Programming Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip

pre

pkmn.cc

Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip

Enhanced tooltip functionality for Pokémon Showdown Random Battle formats. This extension relies on data from https://pkmn.github.io/randbats/ which is an automatically updating repository of the latest options for Pokémon Showdown's standard Random Battle formats and is the same source that provides data to Pokémon Showdown's Random Battle Damage Calculator. More precise information about a Pokémon's possible abilities, items, moves, and stats are presented in addition to the standard tooltip information provided by Pokémon Showdown. All formats with 'Random' in their name should be supported (all generations, Singles/Doubles/Free-For-All/Multi, Unrated, Monotype, Let's Go, etc - but not Challenge Cup, Battle Factory, SSB, etc), and the additional tooltip information should be present on any Pokémon which would otherwise only have partial data (ie. any player's Pokémon/revealed team while spectating and your opponent's Pokémon/revealed team while battling).

This extension takes advantage of the fact that in practice a Pokémon's abilities and items are actually limited. The move pool displayed by the extension is guaranteed be a superset of what is returned by Pokémon Showdown's existing /randbats mon, gen command. Stats are slightly fuzzier - Max HP is elided as this stat is adjusted during set generation to hit optimal recovery or chip numbers and is impossible to infer in most scenarios without knowing the full set. Atk can be adjusted to minimize confusion damage and Spe can be adjusted if certain speed-related moves (Gyro Ball, Trick Room, etc) are included in the set and so are italicized in most cases to indicate they are not necessarily always exact (though in the cases where they are known to be fixed they are not italicized). Sets with Hidden Power in earlier gens may also have had their IVs adjusted to account for the move.

Install
Caveats

Due to Pokémon Showdown's release process, the information in the tooltip can be stale for up to an hour if changes to the Random Battle team generation logic are hotpatched immediately after being committed. This should rarely be consequential in practice, though may explain any discrepancies that may crop up. Before reporting any bugs related to the possible set options, please confirm that you are not simply dealing with this stale data scenario.

Furthermore, due to how the set generation logic used by Pokémon Showdown is based off of battle-only formes, it may not always be possible to disambiguate which forme's set to display in the tooltip (eg. Darmanitan-Galar vs. Darmanitan-Galar-Zen while the Pokémon is in Darmanitan-Galar forme) - in these cases, multiple set options will be displayed.

This extension was written to have no impact on tooltips in non-random formats and to gracefully degrade in scenarios where data is unavailable, however, extensions can be inherently problematic when it comes to reporting bugs. If you notice any UI inconsistencies anywhere within Pokémon Showdown, please do the developers a favor and attempt to reproduce the error after disabling all extensions to rule out the possibility that interaction between extensions is causing issues.

Thank you to nui, Annika, and Aeonic for helping to beta test.

In the past, the Chrome extension has been forcibly removed by Google due to a DMCA notice from a company acting on behalf of Nintendo. The extension has been republished with all trademarked intellectual property removed, however, if it happens to get taken down again the only way to use this extension on Chrome is by manually downloading chrome.zip from the latest release and unzipping it somewhere on your hard drive, going to chrome://extensions in your browser, checking the box for 'Developer Mode', and then using the 'Load unpacked extension' option to load the unzipped contents of the extension. Alternatively, many other similar extensions have been published based on the same data and code powering the official extension supported by pkmn.cc and may meet your needs, though please do not report issues for these extensions in this thread.

Last edited:
It's a very interesting extension. I only use Opera GX and the extension didn't work for me, so I suggest you add the extension for Opera too, please. It's possible?

(sorry for spelling mistakes, my english isn't so good)

Thanks for this, very useful! Is the source code open source? I would love to work on / suggest some improvements.

Namely, I think it might be useful to remove confirmed moves out of the "Moves" section, to decrease clutter.

It's a very interesting extension. I only use Opera GX and the extension didn't work for me, so I suggest you add the extension for Opera too, please. It's possible?

(sorry for spelling mistakes, my english isn't so good)
You can use opera's addon "chrome addons". By using it you can use any chrome addons (not every works tho) on opera, alteast this addon works fine for me!

Thanks for this, very useful! Is the source code open source? I would love to work on / suggest some improvements.

Namely, I think it might be useful to remove confirmed moves out of the "Moves" section, to decrease clutter.
I'd also like to know if it's open source

Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip

Enhanced tooltip functionality for Pokémon Showdown Random Battle formats. This extension relies on data from https://pkmn.github.io/randbats/ which is an automatically updating repository of the latest options for Pokémon Showdown's standard Random Battle formats and is the same source that provides data to Pokémon Showdown's Random Battle Damage Calculator. More precise information about a Pokémon's possible abilities, items, moves, and stats are presented in addition to the standard tooltip information provided by Pokémon Showdown. All formats with 'Random' in their name should be supported (all generations, Singles/Doubles/Free-For-All/Multi, Unrated, Monotype, Let's Go, etc - but not Challenge Cup, Battle Factory, SSB, etc), and the additional tooltip information should be present on any Pokémon which would otherwise only have partial data (ie. any player's Pokémon/revealed team while spectating and your opponent's Pokémon/revealed team while battling).

This extension takes advantage of the fact that in practice a Pokémon's abilities and items are actually limited. The move pool displayed by the extension is guaranteed be a superset of what is returned by Pokémon Showdown's existing /randbats mon, gen command. Stats are slightly fuzzier - Max HP is elided as this stat is adjusted during set generation to hit optimal recovery or chip numbers and is impossible to infer in most scenarios without knowing the full set. Atk can be adjusted to minimize confusion damage and Spe can be adjusted if certain speed-related moves (Gyro Ball, Trick Room, etc) are included in the set and so are italicized in most cases to indicate they are not necessarily always exact (though in the cases where they are known to be fixed they are not italicized). Sets with Hidden Power in earlier gens may also have had their IVs adjusted to account for the move.

Install
Caveats

Due to Pokémon Showdown's release process, the information in the tooltip can be stale for up to an hour if changes to the Random Battle team generation logic are hotpatched immediately after being committed. This should rarely be consequential in practice, though may explain any discrepancies that may crop up. Before reporting any bugs related to the possible set options, please confirm that you are not simply dealing with this stale data scenario.

Furthermore, due to how the set generation logic used by Pokémon Showdown is based off of battle-only formes, it may not always be possible to disambiguate which forme's set to display in the tooltip (eg. Darmanitan-Galar vs. Darmanitan-Galar-Zen while the Pokémon is in Darmanitan-Galar forme) - in these cases, multiple set options will be displayed.

This extension was written to have no impact on tooltips in non-random formats and to gracefully degrade in scenarios where data is unavailable, however, extensions can be inherently problematic when it comes to reporting bugs. If you notice any UI inconsistencies anywhere within Pokémon Showdown, please do the developers a favor and attempt to reproduce the error after disabling all extensions to rule out the possibility that interaction between extensions is causing issues.

Thank you to nui, Annika, and Aeonic for helping to beta test.
It's very useful indeed thanks much!!! :D

Thanks for updating the tool to the format [Gen 8] Random Battle (Blitz) too!

Please make it work in the format [Gen 8] Random Battle Mayhem too. What would need to change would be the stats (hp, atk, def, spa, spd and speed) but i think the rest would be the same.

EDIT (Apr 29, 2022): It would be nice to work on replays too.

Last edited:
How do I open the "build" script? For me it is just a regular file, not a .exe or a .bat file, so I cannot run it. Is it supposed to have a file extension?

pre

pkmn.cc
I appreciate everyone's interest in the tooltip (possibly driven by freezai's videos) - it reached over 10k active users before drawing the attention of the powers that be. I expect that someone else could try to upload the tooltip with a different name ("Showdown Randbats Tooltip"?) and without perhaps any images (ie. the PS screenshot/Pokéball icon) and there would probably be no grounds for a DMCA at that point, but I don't really have an interest in attempting to do so (if anyone else wants to try they have my blessing).

It would be nice to work on replays too.
It already does.

How do I open the "build" script? For me it is just a regular file, not a .exe or a .bat file, so I cannot run it. Is it supposed to have a file extension?
All the build script effectively does is create a zip file, though not in a way which is friendly to Windows users, as you have discovered. I have simplified the instructions by packaging up the files for you and publishing them as a release that you can simply download.

Hello, I am asking if anyone else received a message today that the Chrome Web Store marked the extension as unsafe and now you're unable to use it. I even tried searching for Pokemon Showdowon Randbats Tooltip in the Chrome Web Store and it doesn't even show it now.

MurderousMantyke

What sʇᴉɯᴉ⅂?
Hello, I am asking if anyone else received a message today that the Chrome Web Store marked the extension as unsafe and now you're unable to use it. I even tried searching for Pokemon Showdowon Randbats Tooltip in the Chrome Web Store and it doesn't even show it now.
Yea the same thing happened to me and multiple others. Definitely not a local thing.

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Community Leader
Yea the same thing happened to me and multiple others. Definitely not a local thing.
The tooltip was taken down by Google. You can read the full situation on the OP, and a proposed solution on the post above yours.

I added a typechart to the tooltip if anyone needs it just replace the original index.js file with the index.js in the attached .zip file.

Attachments

New damage calculator extension.
This extension shows the damage range of your own attacks.
Things it doesn't account for:
Own pokemons ability
Enemy pokemons ability
Enemy pokemons item
"Special" Attacks (Attacks that don't have a fixed Basepower (ex.: Lowkick), use other stats (ex.: Body Press) or have fixed values(ex.: Seismic Toss))
Psyshock works correctly and is the only exeption to the before mentioned "Special" Attacks

Known bugs:
Transform/Illusion will ruin the numbers. Might have to reload the showdown website after the effect ends.

There might still be other bugs since I didn't do extensive testing. Might realease a new and improved version if I find interest in it again.

Attachments

Last edited:
New damage calculator extension.
This extension shows the damage range of your own attacks.
Things it doesn't account for:
Own pokemons ability
Enemy pokemons ability
Enemy pokemons item
"Special" Attacks (Attacks that don't have a fixed Basepower (ex.: Lowkick), use other stats (ex.: Body Press) or have fixed values(ex.: Seismic Toss))
Psyshock works correctly and is the only exeption to the before mentioned "Special" Attacks

Known bugs:
Transform/Illusion will ruin the numbers. Might have to reload the showdown website after the effect ends.

There might still be other bugs since I didn't do extensive testing. Might realease a new and improved version if I find interest in it again.
Thank you very much! Please update if/when necessary! This helps a lot!

If possible, don't drop the idea, I beg you! This is a very amazing and extremely addictive addition. You have my full support to keep improving this tool.

Notes:

If possible, try to resolve the transform/illusion bug, please.

Whatever you can improve, all changes will be very welcome <3
About "special" moves, if you can include them in this tool it will be even better (example: show that seismic toss defeats in 2,3,4 hits).

If the tool manages to be "completely independent" (not 100% ofc) from https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/randoms.html, it will be even more amazing. I suggest trying to automate it as much as possible.

Suggestion: reverse the weaknesses typechart in inverse mod matches.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! Please update if/when necessary! This helps a lot!

If possible, don't drop the idea, I beg you! This is a very amazing and extremely addictive addition. You have my full support to keep improving this tool.

Notes:

If possible, try to resolve the transform/illusion bug, please.

Whatever you can improve, all changes will be very welcome <3
About "special" moves, if you can include them in this tool it will be even better (example: show that seismic toss defeats in 2,3,4 hits).

If the tool manages to be "completely independent" (not 100% ofc) from https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/randoms.html, it will be even more amazing. I suggest trying to automate it as much as possible.

Suggestion: reverse the weaknesses typechart in inverse mod matches.
This program doesn't depend on https://calc.pokemonshowdown.com/randoms.html

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I appreciate everyone's interest in the tooltip (possibly driven by freezai's videos) - it reached over 10k active users before drawing the attention of the powers that be. I expect that someone else could try to upload the tooltip with a different name ("Showdown Randbats Tooltip"?) and without perhaps any images (ie. the PS screenshot/Pokéball icon) and there would probably be no grounds for a DMCA at that point, but I don't really have an interest in attempting to do so (if anyone else wants to try they have my blessing).
done, see https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ooltip/ipfdjoljmkcfabfppnclebjgbehjemch?hl=en. I also added MarcoSupper improvements. I'm just not sure how I feel about typecharts.

PS: THIS VERSION WILL NOT BE UPDATED ANYMORE UNTIL JUNE 2023 PLEASE GO TO THE FIRSTS POST IN ORDER TO GET THE LASTEST VERSION, IF YOU WANT A CALC PLEASE INSTALL THE SHOWDEX

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)