Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

Zoroark and Zoroark-Hisui have their levels set to 0 in the Random Battles S/V Calculator, making calculations as if they were level 100 display.
This is because Zoroark and Zoroark-Hisui do not have a fixed level in Random Battles. Their levels are automatically set equal to the level of the 6th Pokemon in your party, so that the Illusion is not given away. You can just change it manually to whatever level you get.

Idea: X of Ruin as buttons (power spot, etc.) instead of ability with button being pressed automatically when having a pokemon (this is for doubles)

Idea: X of Ruin as buttons (power spot, etc.) instead of ability with button being pressed automatically when having a pokemon (this is for doubles)
Wait actually, we've been struggling implementing the latest Ruin ability update with Showdex (same Ruin abilities cancelling each other out), and this part really confused us. If we turn on the Ruin ability toggles, it applies to both Pokemon (even the one with the Ruin ability, which it shouldn't affect). We were also confused on why the toggles are there if the Ruin abilities are applied automatically when set as an ability, but we assumed it was for doubles right? Since you might want to calc the damage for the two other non-Ruin pokemon on the field, while still needing the Ruin effect to apply to them. Idk it's very confusing to explain even haha.

Sorry if this is coming out of nowhere, I just wanted to piggyback off your suggestion since we've been struggling with it as well and would love some insight into the implementation.

Very specific but the item/set for the doubles scarf Chi-yu set on the calc has choice specs as the item and I believe the wrong moves

Untitled.png

Might be a small problem, but Covet Cloak in the damage calculator doesn't ignore secondary effects from moves like salt cure.

Last edited:

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Community Leader
Hi, on SS, the calc still automatically calcs the max moves for surging strike, wicked blow, strom throw and frost breath as critical hits. This can be avoided by scrolling down and unselecting the crit mark, but it's kinda unintuitive, prone to still get people confused on the heat of a match, and probably more of an oversight than anything else.

Analytic gives you the damage boost on a speed tie, can this behavior be removed? It can lead to confusing calcs in lategame situations

In the gen 4 calculator, the power boost that weather ball gets when specific weather conditions are met is currently broken. The switch case in the region Base Power overwrites it back to the default move power of 50.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Palafin is a commonly used DOU mon (among other tiers) and the sample sets written for it only load for its base form, not the Palafin-Hero form it transforms into later in the match.

This is cumbersome when trying to run damage calcs for Palafin's targets, because you should almost always be in Palafin-Hero form by the time you're attacking foes for meaningful damage. Edit: and also Palafin-Hero has more bulk which has implications for calc'ing hits against it as well.

I know in past tiers Aegislash, a Pokemon that frequently alternates between Aegislash-Shield and Aegislash-Blade, just had the same sample sets duplicated for both formes in the calc. Can the same be done for Palafin?

1675901837078.png

Last edited:

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Small thing but could we please have EVs shown on calc for gens 1-2? This is actually relevant for some calcs - for example in gen 1 "Safetwo" (immune to overflow) uses 341 special, not 406, which is literally impossible to set in the calc without Stat EXP/EVs, and a lot of Counter techs require lower stats than just dropping the DV to 1. Editing base stats is often a little inaccurate and is super inconvenient since it resets every time you change mons. Just showing it and defaulting all sets to max in all stats would help a lot. I'm working on a pull request for it but figure its good to ask regardless + I'm inexperienced and can't promise my version will even work right lol, someone with more experience can probably do this much simpler than I will

Edit: sent a pull request but my attempt likely sucks ass so if someone who actually knows how to code wants to take a stab at it i'd love that

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Analytic gives you the damage boost on a speed tie, can this behavior be removed? It can lead to confusing calcs in lategame situations
Alternatively, could we have it so Analytic has a checkbox like Stakeout for when we want to see the calcs? That'd make it a lot more convenient to calc damage on switches.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Revelation Dance doesn't work properly with Tera in the calc; it just doesn't recognize the typing change also changing Revelation Dance's. Unsure if intended or not.

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
With Random Battle Mayhem being a thing, would it potentially be possible to get buttons for Shared Power, Camomons, Inverse and Scalemons in the calc? It'd be a nice QOL change for playing that format since it can be kinda hard to get proper calcs with all the mayhem that can happen in it

Reactions: ken
The DPP calc doesn't work properly for Weather Ball.
252+ SpA Life Orb Victreebel Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Torterra in Sun: 156-184 (39.5 - 46.7%) (DPP calc)
252+ SpA Life Orb Victreebel Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Torterra in Sun: 312-369 (79.1 - 93.6%) (BW calc, actual damage in game)

Frixel

Double down
is a Social Media Contributor
There is no spread damage reduction when selecting doubles as the field

Additionally, would be possible so that we can have 2 Pokemon on each side?

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There is no spread damage reduction when selecting doubles as the field

Additionally, would be possible so that we can have 2 Pokemon on each side?
Expanding Force is single-target when Psychic Terrain is not active, and double-target when Psychic Terrain is active. The calc in your screenshot is accurate (and 100% replicable using sample sets of both those mons).

I found a weird bug, specifically with the DPP calc.

If a mon has Technician, and has a move that's 55 or 60 base power, the calc will say it's weaker if you're holding a type-boosting item than if you're not. For example:

252+ Atk Technician Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 274-324 (71.3 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
vs
252+ Atk Sharp Beak Scizor Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 220-260 (57.2 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I did some testing both on Showdown and on my Platinum file, and my testing Scizors consistently seemed to do more damage with Sharp Beak than without, so I'm fairly sure this isn't intentional.

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
According to this replay, once something has been boosted in Electric Terrain due to Quark Drive, the boosted stat cannot change, even if the Pokemon (Iron Thorns in this case) boosts its Attack. The calculator has implemented this incorrectly, as demonstrated by the following calcs:
+2 0- Atk Quark Drive Iron Thorns Pin Missile (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tablets of Ruin Wo-Chien: 480-576 (128.3 - 154%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 0- Atk Iron Thorns Pin Missile (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tablets of Ruin Wo-Chien: 372-444 (99.4 - 118.7%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO

It should be noted that although it doesn't specify it in the calculation, each one was done with 23 Attack IVs, as that is the only way for Iron Thorns to boost its speed.

Last edited:
In the calculator - Tera Ice mons do not get an increase in body press damage in snow. Physical attacks on the subject are lessened properly in the calc, but the 1.5 DEF boost is not applied on the damage side.

Tested with Mudsdale vs Abomasnow. Snow active, tera ice toggled.

In the calculator - Tera Ice mons do not get an increase in body press damage in snow. Physical attacks on the subject are lessened properly in the calc, but the 1.5 DEF boost is not applied on the damage side.

Tested with Mudsdale vs Abomasnow. Snow active, tera ice toggled.
This is the correct behavior on Showdown and very likely the correct behavior in-game as well. Aside from stat stage changes, boosts to Defense on the attacker typically do not increase the damage dealt by Body Press.
Bulbapedia said:
Defense stat stage-modifiers are applied (rather than Attack stage-modifiers), but otherwise Attack modifiers are used (including held item, Ability, and burn). For example, Huge Power or a held Choice Band will increase the stat used in calculation, whereas Fur Coat or a held Eviolite will not. In contrast, Slow Start will decrease the stat used in calculation.
Edit: It seems confirmed that the Snow boost does not increase the damage dealt by Body Press.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)