Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

How do i calc beat up
Showdown Pokedex said:
Hits one time for the user and one time for each unfainted Pokemon without a non-volatile status condition in the user's party. The power of each hit is equal to 5+(X/10), where X is each participating Pokemon's base Attack; each hit is considered to come from the user.
I'd just plug whatever 5+(X/10) would be into the calculator (you can edit move values as well as the movesets)

dex

10 wolf, 3 shepherd, 1 sheep, led leopard
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Would it be possible to include a “check mark box” next to ability when the ability is Protosynthesis/Quark Drive? This is helpful for when Roaring Moon has Booster Energy + Acrobatics. Right now, people need to set the item to (none) and then set sun up. Although I’ve never run into this situation, there’s actually no way to calc the damage of Proto boosted Acrobatics against an Ice-type in snow without manually changing the BP of acro which is, admittedly, a rare case, but probably shouldn’t be a thing. Letting people just check a box for proto/quark no longer makes it reliant on the item nor the field effect, so you can calc Acro damage way more easily.

Would it be possible to include a “check mark box” next to ability when the ability is Protosynthesis/Quark Drive? This is helpful for when Roaring Moon has Booster Energy + Acrobatics. Right now, people need to set the item to (none) and then set sun up. Although I’ve never run into this situation, there’s actually no way to calc the damage of Proto boosted Acrobatics against an Ice-type in snow without manually changing the BP of acro which is, admittedly, a rare case, but probably shouldn’t be a thing. Letting people just check a box for proto/quark no longer makes it reliant on the item nor the field effect, so you can calc Acro damage way more easily.
Really it should be treated as being consumed when the weather isn't sun, since the item would already have been consumed in those cases.

Shellos-East (blue one) seems to be bugged when trying to plug it into the damage calculator. I got the error message below after putting in a set I was going to use for LC games. I had a friend test it as well, this time on a set without a nickname, and they also came across this issue. Shellos (pink one) works, so I think that is a problem from the East. I do not know if this error also applies to Gastrodon.
1679799161041.png

1679799171617.png

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Shellos-East (blue one) seems to be bugged when trying to plug it into the damage calculator. I got the error message below after putting in a set I was going to use for LC games. I had a friend test it as well, this time on a set without a nickname, and they also came across this issue. Shellos (pink one) works, so I think that is a problem from the East. I do not know if this error also applies to Gastrodon.
View attachment 502771
View attachment 502772
Looked into this, this seems to be an issue targeting most pokemon that have a different cosmetic form that is not classified as a seperate unique "form", with some exceptions for commonly used pokemon. For example, the Florges line works properly with all the different colours, while flabebe and floette do not, Gastrodon-East worked while importing but Shellos-East did not and

I went through going through a list and tried them out on the calc, here are the ones I found that do not implement correctly into the calc by syntax:
Not Implemented:

Shellos-East

Flabebe-Blue/Flabebe-Yellow/Flabebe-White/Flabebe-Orange
Floette-Blue/Floette-Yellow/Floette-White/Floette-Orange

Alcremie-Ruby-Cream/Alcremie-Matcha-Cream/Alcremie-Mint-Cream/Alcremie-Lemon-Creme/Alcremie-Salted-Creme/Alcremie-Ruby-Swirl/Alcremie-Caramel-Swirl/Alcremie-Rainbow-Swirl

Vivillon-Archipelago/Vivillon-Continental/Vivillon-Elegant/Vivillon-Garden/Vivillon-High Plains/Vivillon-Icy Snow/Vivillon-Jungle/Vivillon-Marine/Vivillon-Modern/Vivillon-Monsoon/Vivillon-Ocean/Vivillon-Polar/Vivillon-River/Vivillon-Sandstorm/Vivillon-Savanna/Vivillon-Sun/Vivillon-Tundra

Pichu-Spiky-eared (sorry, insane nitpick since it's exclusive to gen 4)

Unown-B/Unown-C/Unown-D/Unown-E/Unown-F/Unown-G/Unown-H/Unown-I/Unown-J/Unown-K/Unown-L/Unown-M/Unown-N/Unown-O/Unown-P/Unown-Q/Unown-R/Unown-S/Unown-T/Unown-U/Unown-V/Unown-W/Unown-X/Unown-Y/Unown-Z/Unown-!/Unown-?

Burmy-Sandy/Burmy-Trash

Deerling-Summer/Deerling-Autumn/Deerling-Winter
Sawsbuck-Summer/Sawsbuck-Autumn/Sawsbuck-Winter

Furfrou-Heart/Furfrou-Star/Furfrou-Diamond/Furfrou-Debutante/Furfrou-Matron/Furfrou-Dandy/Furfrou-La Reine/Furfrou-Kabuki/Furfrou-Pharaoh

Xerneas-Neutral (Technically a mon I guess? idk if it's even usable in BH)

Tatsugiri-Droopy/Tatsugiri-Stretchy

Frankly if anything, this is an extremely low-priority issue, but thought I'd compile a list of what I found.

this may sound silly, but this somewhat helps pet mods not need to create a whole new calc - but being able to add custom BST mons and/or allow future gen stuff in older gen(but hide it behind a toggle)

I personally plan to try to fork the calc to make one for the format I am thinking of but I am an amateur coder and the above would help more than just this format and would make it universal :) [this is for hoenn gaiden, and for example, the game uses gen 3 as a base but adds things like expert belt, which is impossible to choose in the gen 3 calc]

essentially, locally saved custom pokemon with custom bst would be really good on its own :)

I am using the vanilla gen 4 calculator and imported some mons for nuzzlocke purposes.
Importing these sets make the abillity glitch and copy the next pokemon's ones:

Mars 1 (Zubat) (F)
Ability: Inner Focus
Level: 15
Hardy Nature
- Bite
- Leech Life
- Toxic

Mars 1 (Purugly) (F) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 17
Hardy Nature
- Fake Out
- Scratch
- Feint Attack

Silvana (Turtwig) (M)
Ability: Overgrow
Level: 20
Hardy Nature
- Grass Knot
- Razor Leaf
- Reflect
- Sunny Day

Have you ever thought about adding a feature that would give you options for the best Tera types depending on the inputted set for a given Mon? I know it would be weird to implement and the optimal Tera type doesn’t always translate to the best Tera type but I think it would be a cool option. There are already things out there that return the best defensive/offensive Tera type but implementing something that takes moves into account would be helpful especially for some off meta mons.

A nice QOL change would be if when you used /calc in a battle, it would load the calc in whatever generation the battle takes place in. For example, if you were playing a BW OU game and used /calc, the link would take you to the gen 5 calc. Last gen's randbats did something similar where it would go directly to the randbats calculator (add this back to gen 9 too please!)

Was told to post here a suggestion for the new dark mode.

First, really happy to see a dark mode! As someone who uses dark mode for most everything, love to see it!

However, it's really in a pretty rough state. The contrast of using pure black and pure white is very intense and counteracts having the dark mode at all. It just needs to be evened out so that it's not as intense. Good dark mode design rarely uses pure black (#000000), and when it does, usually sparingly and as an accent color, and the same goes for white (#ffffff).
Changing the main background color to something like #1b1b1b or even as high as #232323 would be a great. For white, bringing it down to something like #e4e4e4 or #cfcfcf would help ease the strain on the eyes as well.

It's a lot more minor, but, in my opinion, the blue highlight color for indicating which move or whatever is selected also feels a little too saturated and dark to match well. I think #232e51 or #3d4c67 would be fit better within the design as well as still being a clear indicator for which move is selected.

I have a photo that I edited to help show how these changes could look.
calc dark mode 2.png

Was told to post here a suggestion for the new dark mode.

First, really happy to see a dark mode! As someone who uses dark mode for most everything, love to see it!

However, it's really in a pretty rough state. The contrast of using pure black and pure white is very intense and counteracts having the dark mode at all. It just needs to be evened out so that it's not as intense. Good dark mode design rarely uses pure black (#000000), and when it does, usually sparingly and as an accent color, and the same goes for white (#ffffff).
Changing the main background color to something like #1b1b1b or even as high as #232323 would be a great. For white, bringing it down to something like #e4e4e4 or #cfcfcf would help ease the strain on the eyes as well.

It's a lot more minor, but, in my opinion, the blue highlight color for indicating which move or whatever is selected also feels a little too saturated and dark to match well. I think #232e51 or #3d4c67 would be fit better within the design as well as still being a clear indicator for which move is selected.

I have a photo that I edited to help show how these changes could look.
Hi, I created the dark theme that you are using! Thank you so much for the kind words, and also thank you for the feedback on how to make it nicer to look at. I didn't really have any sort of intentionality with the color choices (mostly just taking the negative of the existing color palette), but I recognize that toning down the contrast makes it easier on the eyes. I'll get that moved along ASAP.

I'll also look into styling the dropdowns for selecting the Pokemon and moves. When I first made the dark theme, there wasn't much documentation I could find on Select2 themes, but now I'm just gonna poke around and see what sticks.

Hi, I created the dark theme that you are using! Thank you so much for the kind words, and also thank you for the feedback on how to make it nicer to look at. I didn't really have any sort of intentionality with the color choices (mostly just taking the negative of the existing color palette), but I recognize that toning down the contrast makes it easier on the eyes. I'll get that moved along ASAP.

I'll also look into styling the dropdowns for selecting the Pokemon and moves. When I first made the dark theme, there wasn't much documentation I could find on Select2 themes, but now I'm just gonna poke around and see what sticks. bangladesh-bank full review here
The dark theme looks interesting. you need only some time to to get used to it

Last edited:

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
A feature that lets you remove tiers from suggested sets would be fantastic. If I want to have standard OU sets, imported ones and the Blank set at the same time it is so annoying to scroll down every single time when I'm using a mon like Great Tusk or Iron Moth.

I've found a bug with how the ruin abilities are working. The calculator doesn't check to see if both pokemon have the same ruin ability, which should make them immune to each other (i.e. two chien-paos don't lower each other's defenses) according to Bulbapedia. Luckily showdown appears to calculate the damage in battle correctly (chien-pao v chien-pao ice shard did 14%, calc said 16% minimum, and you can see the stats accurately adjusted hovering over different mons in your team) and I also verified that behavior in-game. This problem appears to effect all 4 ruin abilities in the calculator. I briefly looked at the code for the calc and it looked like sword/beads of ruin are only checked for on the attacker (and I assume tablets/vessel is only checked on the defender) which would explain why the abilities don't see each other.

I also checked another interaction that the calculator gets right currently: body press. The thing that actually started all this investigating was seeing that in the calculator sword of ruin doesn't decrease damage taken from body press (either intentionally or beacuse again sword of ruin is never checked for on the defender). I checked in-game and on showdown and that appears to be correct, sword of ruin does not affect damage taken from body press even though you'd think it would lower the defense stat used as the attacking stat.

Other minor bug, if you have both sides set to only show imported sets and then uncheck that option on one side then both sides go back to displaying all sets rather than only the one you changed (and the other checkbox stays marked even though the behavior goes back to displaying all sets)

Murm

formerly Murman
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Is there any way of adding EVs into the Gen 1 and 2 calc? Its not the most useful thing, but purposely avoiding EVs to avoid overflowing (like Marowak) can be optimal over lowering their DVs (Marowak having 255 Attack with EV drops and 254 Attack with DV drops). Thank you!

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Screenshot_604.png

The Ruin Mon's immunity to their own Ruin skills isnt implemented in the Calc. It works properly on the simulator, but due to that flaw it can lead to disastrous...
Screenshot_605.png

...yea

Thankie in advance. This involves all ruin mons btw (Ting-Lu, Wo-Chien, Fish also do not apply that immunity)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9anythinggoes-1872092240-0kul8quf06a6tdh2effw1lxqwc3h2mdpw
252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Tera Fire Miraidon Overheat over 2 turns vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 509-601 (78 - 92.1%) -- not a KO
252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Tera Fire Miraidon Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 382-450 (58.5 - 69%)
-2 252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Miraidon Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 128-151 (19.6 - 23.1%)
-2 252 SpA Choice Specs Hadron Engine Tera Fire Miraidon Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 192-226 (29.4 - 34.6%)

i think the calc doesnt include stab when calcing overheat twice with hadron engine+sun since it correctly calcs overheat damage without sun
pretty sure tera isnt the problem cuz natural fire types also do less than expected when overheating twice if you give them hadron engine

The One vs All and All vs One sections of the calc don't have the option to specify Stealth Rock is on the field; this feels like a pretty big oversight considering how important rocks are to the metagame!

Would the calc please be fixed in regards to Body Press not increasing in damage when there's a defense increase with Proto/Quark? Thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)