Pokémon GO

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
Does Pokemon GO hate me?
I keep losing at PvP no matter how good I get and I am having so much trouble getting remote raid passes!

But then again does Pokemon GO want me to still be hooked on it?
I got a shiny Giratina the other day and I have over 21 Melmetals!

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Am glad to see the item/pokemon limit being raised but still have to use coins to get them. Even after dumping rare candies into Zarude and TMing away Frustration from shadow pokemon, my item limit still becomes challenging even though revives and potions are usually the first to get tossed along with feeding non-premium berries to gym defenders.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
So it's been officially confirmed that we're getting a Johto Tour in February, much like this year's Kanto Tour.

I've been racking my brains today wondering how exactly it'll work.

People have already pointed out that Niantic have shot their bolt when it comes to Johto by already having given us shiny Celebi as well as Shadow Ho-Oh and Lugia, but that's not what I'm most curious about. Assuming some form of collection challenge is included as part of this event, they'll probably break up the day into biomes like the Kanto Tour did. What will those be? Johto has a lot of iconic and diverse landmarks: I'm thinking perhaps Ice Path, National Park, Violet City, Ecruteak City, Whirl Islands, Mt Mortar or even Mt Silver.

But there's a lot of Pokemon to shoehorn in. Unlike Kanto, Johto has numerous babies (which don't ever spawn wild, though I can't imagine Niantic will force people to walk around hatching eggs all day) and numerous evolved forms dependent on Kanto spawns like Blissey, Scizor, and Steelix. Outside of events, Pokemon that require a specific item to evolve (Kingdra, Bellossom, Dusknoir et al) never spawn wild, whereas those that only require candy (Blissey, Crobat, Espeon et al) are able to do so. So will we just be having Kingdra, Slowking, Politoed, Bellossom, Steelix, Scizor, and Porygon2 spawning everywhere throughout the day? Seems a bit unlikely, but I don't see how else you catch those without being forced to catch their base forms. Though it's not inconceivable that they'll just be spawns; Sunflora was an event spawn fairly recently. Obviously Heracross, Corsola, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Ho-Oh, and Lugia will all be in raids. Will Smeargle be spawning wild or will you just be able to catch multiple from photobombs? Timed Research, I suppose, is the best way to handle some of the wackier mons.

What about Unown, though? Maybe that'll just be a constant rare spawn throughout the day - all 28 forms released as shiny, though? Good luck with that one. You'd better have a lot of friends if you want every letter...

EDIT: OH, and if they divide it up into Gold and Silver (which they should), might that mean we finally see the return of distance trading?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So it's been officially confirmed that we're getting a Johto Tour in February, much like this year's Kanto Tour.

I've been racking my brains today wondering how exactly it'll work.

People have already pointed out that Niantic have shot their bolt when it comes to Johto by already having given us shiny Celebi as well as Shadow Ho-Oh and Lugia
In b4 they reveal Hisuian Celebi.

QuentinQuonce

-Druddigon is a Dragon-type, which have always been rarer in Go than other types, but as a single-stage Pokemon it presents more of a challenge than Pokemon which need to evolve - once you've caught it, you've caught it. Gen V is actually fairly Dragon-heavy so they're obviously waiting for the right time to drop it
So I was kind of right about Druddigon - they obviously don't want it to be freely available so it's exclusive to raids/research. Was not expecting the shiny to be available right away though! It's been far too long since that happened.

...oh.

Always one step forward, two steps back with this game, isn't it...?

Expert Evan

Typical of any dragon type no matter good or bad to use they'll just make it harder to get the medal for completing a certain number of dragon types, making even Altaria and Noivern harder to obtain. Hopefully with this recent dragon event some of us were smart enough to trade over to our alternative accounts to help with the dragon count and hopes any trade becomes lucky in the process.

I don't recall when was the last time distance trading outside of 100 meters was implemented as my main account has soared to well over half of them being lucky including most of you I'm best friends with. No rush on what to trade as I'm quite undecided these days. I got a 95% lucky gible that I evolved on CD so am happy with that so far and would otherwise have to wait another year for gible's exclusive move to come around again.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
According to Pokeminers the entirety of Gen VII has now been added to the game. Wonder if any of those will be debuting during the next season?
Datamines are always shaky information to go off of. They datamined Shadow Torchic a while ago too and that's also still not available. The most recent datamine that was implemented shortly after was Hisuian Electrode which got released during the current event (Poke Ball prep rally). I take those datamines with a grain of salt until we get an actual announcement in game itself. The information being in the game doesn't mean much in reality

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Every gen gets mass dumped into the game in this fashion; the same happened with 6, 5, etc., while many mons from those gens remain unobtainable.
Movesets can and do change since this first implementation, as had happened with some of the legendaries. Hell, the Honedge family got nerfed between datamines before they are even obtainable in the game lol.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Every gen gets mass dumped into the game in this fashion; the same happened with 6, 5, etc., while many mons from those gens remain unobtainable.
Movesets can and do change since this first implementation, as had happened with some of the legendaries. Hell, the Honedge family got nerfed between datamines before they are even obtainable in the game lol.
Gen 7 is announced available March 1. Time always tells. Got announced on Sunday during the Pokemon Direct.

QuentinQuonce

Wow, they really half-assed Gen VI didn't they?

I didn't expect any of the existing gens to be fully completed before Gen VII rolled out but we're still missing 17 species from Gen VI. I guess the lack of legendaries in Gen VI makes it hard to string it out. Was hoping for a questline for Zygarde at some point as otherwise I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the different forms - the 10% form really doesn't feel worthy of being a 5* raid. Similarly, Type:Null feels like a Pokemon that we should be getting through research rather than raids, though I could go either way on that one.

Weird how Therian Tornadus is the second raid boss this month. Looks like they're going to cycle between Tapus and Therians, so Tapu Lele next, then Therian Thundurus, then Tapu Bulu, then Therian Landorus, then Tapu Fini.

This season looks like it could be decent, though I'm going to miss the "guaranteed XL candy from trading" bonus. Sandshrew community day is pretty unexciting, however. I hope all the comm days this season aren't going to just be species with Alolan forms, since most of those have boosted shiny rates already - I'm pretty sure I've got every shiny Alolan form already.

I was really hoping for some Pokemon from beyond Gens I and II, like Starly, to get community days in the near future. Most of the likely candidates from Hoenn have been used up - although I'm expecting Aron to get one when Mega Aggron eventually drops - but Gen V has a plethora of species I'd like to see get a community day, like Venipede, Sewaddle, Solosis, Gothita, Sandile, and Vanillite to name a few. Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Wow, they really half-assed Gen VI didn't they?

I didn't expect any of the existing gens to be fully completed before Gen VII rolled out but we're still missing 17 species from Gen VI. I guess the lack of legendaries in Gen VI makes it hard to string it out. Was hoping for a questline for Zygarde at some point as otherwise I wasn't sure how they were going to handle the different forms - the 10% form really doesn't feel worthy of being a 5* raid. Similarly, Type:Null feels like a Pokemon that we should be getting through research rather than raids, though I could go either way on that one.

Weird how Therian Tornadus is the second raid boss this month. Looks like they're going to cycle between Tapus and Therians, so Tapu Lele next, then Therian Thundurus, then Tapu Bulu, then Therian Landorus, then Tapu Fini.

This season looks like it could be decent, though I'm going to miss the "guaranteed XL candy from trading" bonus. Sandshrew community day is pretty unexciting, however. I hope all the comm days this season aren't going to just be species with Alolan forms, since most of those have boosted shiny rates already - I'm pretty sure I've got every shiny Alolan form already.

I was really hoping for some Pokemon from beyond Gens I and II, like Starly, to get community days in the near future. Most of the likely candidates from Hoenn have been used up - although I'm expecting Aron to get one when Mega Aggron eventually drops - but Gen V has a plethora of species I'd like to see get a community day, like Venipede, Sewaddle, Solosis, Gothita, Sandile, and Vanillite to name a few. Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.
I think the genies could be pretty good in their Therian forms.

I think Gen 5 is finally getting it’s good forms.

Thundorous is going to rival Zekrom due to typing (Zekrom is weak to a whopping 4 types, while Thundorous is weak to 2, and still resists Ground).

Having less bulk is notable but it’s not like Zekrom would take an Ice move much better, and both resist Grass. I think Thundorous would be a nice alternative: similar power, less weaknesses, and better Dual typing (Flying covers Grass-types that resist Electric).

Landorous would be in a similar boat, removing its Grass weakness, still resisting Electric, while Flying would handle Grass types that resist Ground and Ground would handle Steel, Rock, and Electric types that resist Flying.

Their stats are average for a legend, but their type coverage is unique, and Thundorous would outdamage Zapdos with ease.

QuentinQuonce

So I was thinking about the post I wrote earlier. We're all generally operating under the assumption that Niantic wants to make the rollout of generations last as long as possible, hence the general drip-feeding of new Pokemon. But having caught a Jangmo-o earlier today, I was thinking "isn't it a bit premature to release Jangmo-o?" I mean, Goomy wasn't even a year ago and Deino hasn't even had a community day yet. Feels like they could have held it back for a bit longer if they wanted to.

So that got me wondering about the length of time between pseudo-legendary releases, and whether it just feels longer than it is. When I think back to the start of Pokemon Go in 2016, I always end up assuming that it was a full year until Gen II dropped. But, of course, it wasn't - Gen II actually debuted in December 2016 (less than six months after the game was released) with the introduction of all the baby Pokemon; the rest following a couple of months after. So I took a quick look and calculated how long it was between each generation's pseudo debuting. List time!
  • Dratini, like most Gen I mons, dropped on 6th July 2016
  • Larvitar, like most Gen II mons, dropped on 16th February 2017, a mere 225 days later
  • Bagon and Beldum debuted together on 9th February 2018, 358 days later
  • Gible was released late in Gen IV, coming as part of the final large batch of mons on 17th May 2019, 462 days later
  • Deino was released with a large amount of Gen V 16th September 2019, only 122 days later
  • Goomy appeared for the first time on 4th May 2021, a whopping 596 days later
  • Finally, Jangmo-o was released as part of the first wave of Gen VII mons on 1st March 2022 (today), 301 days later
Quite uneven. Looking at the numbers, Deino appears to have come way too early, accounting for the giant gap between it and the next gen's pseudo. The pandemic might account for Goomy's delayed release, but that seems unlikely given that numerous other Pokemon were introduced during that time, as well as the general shift to drip-feeding that took place during Gen V's rollout as opposed to the "chunk" releases of previous generations.

Overall, the average time between pseudos is 344 days. Goomy and Deino sort of cancel one another out here.

So then I got curious about the amount of time it's taken for each generation as a whole to debut. Note that I'm counting a generation as starting when the first Pokemon from a new region drops, opening up a new section of the Pokedex (therefore regional forms don't count). Gen VIII is omitted for clarity, and because it was explicitly characterised as a "sneak preview" rather than a full rollout of a new gen akin to what we've seen with Kalos and Alola.

The generational rollout is as follows:
  • Gen I, of course, started on 6th July 2016
  • Gen II dropped on 12th December 2016 with the introduction of baby Pokemon, 159 days later
  • Gen III followed on 20th October 2017 with the introduction of various Ghost-types, 312 days later
  • Gen IV arrived on Oct 16 2018 with a wave of Sinnoh species, 361 days later
  • Gen V debuted on 16th Sep 2019 with a wave of Unova species, 335 days later
  • Gen VI started on Nov 30 2020 when Espurr began appearing in raids, 441 days later
  • Gen VII began on Mar 1 2022 (today) with a small wave of Alola species, 454 days later
Okay, so this is a bit more even, and we start to see a broad trend emerging in which each generation is progressively taking more and more time to arrive, with only Gen V breaking the pattern as it took less time to debut than its predecessor. Gen II is an outlier in terms of pure numbers, coming way more rapidly than the other generations did (probably why, as I said, I often misremember Gen II as coming a full year after Gen I's launch) while Gens VI and VII increase the interlude from roughly a year to roughly a year and a quarter each.

But, amusingly, the average amount of days between generations is the same as between pseudos - 344*! Curious. I don't know if this means anything in particular for the future, but it was a numerical curiosity I felt like sharing after thinking about it a lot earlier. Expecting patterns and trends to continue is something of a fool's errand in Pokemon, which loves to surprise us (and yet we still try). But if the general trend I've outlined continues, we can expect to see Gen VIII debut properly around June next year. Which would, of course, be when a new season would be due to begin. Let's see...

_________

*(actually 343.67 rounded up the nearest whole number, but close enough)

Expert Evan

While the buddy system can be addictive, I wish certain things can change. Requiring AR mode to at least play together or take a snapshot can be hard to do from a cell phone if its dark or don't have a clear flat surface around. Getting to 300 hearts for Best Buddy can take an average of 30 days especially if it requires to give it a berry to battle together and possibly visit a new place. Most of the time I like to keep an active buddy under cp 2500 so I can more easily battle the valor leader's fire types with the buddy in the party at least.

While the buddy system can be addictive, I wish certain things can change. Requiring AR mode to at least play together or take a snapshot can be hard to do from a cell phone if its dark or don't have a clear flat surface around. Getting to 300 hearts for Best Buddy can take an average of 30 days especially if it requires to give it a berry to battle together and possibly visit a new place. Most of the time I like to keep an active buddy under cp 2500 so I can more easily battle the valor leader's fire types with the buddy in the party at least.
You can turn off the full AR mode by going to settings and unchecking the "Niantic AR" button. Then playing with your buddy will just bring up the regular AR camera mode with your buddy in front of whatever your camera is looking at---no having to find a flat surface or anything to bring your buddy out. Infinitely easier to feed and play with.

Since I'm here, other recent thought: now that Gen 7 has started rolling out, I have my fingers crossed that Marshadow will be the GO fest mythical release this year (and that there will be a global ticket again). Last year was Meloetta (2nd gen 5 in a row), but followed by the release of Hoopa in a seasonal event right after. Hopefully if Marshadow doesn't come with go fest there will be a similar release for Halloween or something.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Random thought I had: Why have we still got no Steel-type Rocket grunts? I mean, consider the number of Steel-type Shadow Pokémon that have already been released (as per this list):
  • Alolan Sandshrew faily
  • Magnemite family
  • Scyther (evolves into Scizor)
  • Pineco (evolves into Forretress)
  • Skarmory
  • Mawile
  • Aron family
  • Beldum family
  • Nosepass (evolves into Probopass)
16 'mons in total. Missing only Onix (Steelix), Piplup (Empoleon), Shieldon family, Bronzor family, Riolu (Lucario) and Alolan Diglett family - 9 Pokémon - among non-legendary Steel-types from Gens I-IV, as far as I can tell. No Shadow Pokémon from beyond Gen IV have been released yet.

There should be plenty of Steel-types to build a Grunt team around even without releasing new Shadow Pokémon. It took them the longest time to add Fairy, but I'd say Steel has even greater potential to build Grunt teams - the Fairy Grunt has only ever used 'mons from two evolutionary families.

There's even a line for Steel grunts in the code since forever ("You're no match for my iron will!"). Pokémon like Magnemite and Aron are obvious Grunt fodder 'mons that are even out of rotation from their respective secondary types. So why haven't the Steel grunts arrived yet?

Expert Evan

Now that Mega Lati@s is coming to an end today, I'm expecting Mega Mewtwo is not that far off and expect it to be over 100,000 cp once available. Mewtwo used to be in demand with Shadow Ball but it now has Psystrike and other good attacks in demand for raids and the Master League so I expect once it has a Mega that it's going to be broken, so will likely make a lucky hundo that's currently maxed at level 40 as a buddy as a head start.

QuentinQuonce

Trading away all the stuff I caught in yesterday's Go Fest and idly wondering which regionals they'll feature in next year's Go Fest, since there have been so many made available recently. List time!

Off the top of my head:
  • We had Tropius, Torkoal, Mr Mime, Lunatone, Solrock, and the elemental monkeys all featured this Go Fest
  • We also had Corsola, Heracross, Tauros, and Kangaskhan available earlier this year in separate events
  • Throh, Sawk, and Chatot were featured in 2021's Go Fest, while Heracross, Kangaskhan, and Relicanth were available in other events
  • Heatmor, Durant, Zangoose, and Seviper were all featured in 2020's Go Fest
So for 2023 that leaves... Pachirisu? Sigilyph? Bouffalant? Klefki? Maractus? Comfey?

Hmmm... I'm going to guess a Diancie-centric Go Fest in 2023, with Pachirisu and one or both of Sigilyph or Maractus. Looking forward to seeing how wrong I am about that!

Expert Evan

While I'm not sure what's in store for Season of Light starting in several days, I'll certainly miss the current season's features to have up to 2 special trades per day and an automatic XL candy when trading, which is normally reserved for distance trading of over 100 kilometers. For the last event, I did manage to get in 5 Xurkitree raids including from a member here from California so I hope to get in some lucky trades involving the reject Xurkitree I caught outside of a 15/15/12 which I hope to do better in a lucky trade as it's useful for raiding and fighting Team Rocket, but not for the GBL based on PokeAK's recent youtube video. I wish there was a feature to at least do lucky trades globally since more than half of all my friends including about all of you that have friended me we're lucky, I can almost never get any arrangements to do lucky trades locally since there's little desire to travel to my place just to do a lucky trade where 1/64 chance of it being a lucky hundo.

QuentinQuonce

While I'm not sure what's in store for Season of Light starting in several days, I'll certainly miss the current season's features to have up to 2 special trades per day and an automatic XL candy when trading, which is normally reserved for distance trading of over 100 kilometers. For the last event, I did manage to get in 5 Xurkitree raids including from a member here from California so I hope to get in some lucky trades involving the reject Xurkitree I caught outside of a 15/15/12 which I hope to do better in a lucky trade as it's useful for raiding and fighting Team Rocket, but not for the GBL based on PokeAK's recent youtube video. I wish there was a feature to at least do lucky trades globally since more than half of all my friends including about all of you that have friended me we're lucky, I can almost never get any arrangements to do lucky trades locally since there's little desire to travel to my place just to do a lucky trade where 1/64 chance of it being a lucky hundo.
This last part is what I find maddening.

I have about 20 lucky friends currently and even though the vast majority are in the same city as me, some don't consider trading a priority so don't want to make the effort to meet, some take literal weeks to respond on Discord or Whatsapp or whatever method we first connected, and some don't have the time due to work or family issues. Remote trading would solve this at a stroke. Some people keep holding out hope that it'll return, but with the way Niantic have been lately about remote raiding I don't ever see that happening again barring a nuclear apocalypse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)