Metagame Pokébilities

I made a post last time this was an om about potential suspects, much of it still holds up but I'd like to reiterate on some opinions I've flipped on, it's like really late so sorry for any mistakes or dumb shit

:Clefable: Still feel as though this thing is probably one of the most obnoxious mons in the meta due to the vast number of options it has and how necessary it is. Most people seem to use their own defensive clefable as a check to opposing CM clefable, and offensive LO clefable can beat CM clefable too but I've also seen sets like cosmic power + 2 attacks and even the demonic cosmic power + work up set which turns defensive clefable into setup fodder. If you don't see this set coming it can just destroy you if it boosts enough to take out your slow haze toxapex or clear smog mon, especially since I don't see that much dark types. This is a mon that doesn't feel broken in all games or with all sets, or even with one particular set, but the combination of things it can do and its versatility make it feel broken sometimes, I'm sure some people would argue that clefable is merely overcentralizing or splashable rather than broken and that is a reasonable opinion to have

:dracozolt: I feel less strongly about this thing as I did prior. I feel as though Dracozolt is less unhealthy than the other factors listed here. First of all, I feel like CB dracozolt is overrated, as every team has one or multiple electric immunities (Hippo, Dracozolt or Arctozolt, Landorus-T, Krookodile or others) , as well as dragon immunities (clefable) too. Dracozolt is very prediction reliant on the part of the user, even when not choiced, and it tends to be worn down a lot when running LO. I find that when prepped for Dracozolt, it is still a threat but manageable with factors like rocky helmet recoil (I've had success with soft checks like phys def Lando, hippo, phys def eldegoss, also seen tangrowth and amoonguss) can let you outplay it and bring its health down. It can also be quite inconsistent with accuracy, relying on Outrage traps itself, and you can take it out with priority (weavile mostly, it's super under-utilized) when it's weakened. Dracozolt feels good, but a bit matchup-fishy to me sometimes. It's not the kind of mon I'd like to use but I've played against it enough that I think I know how it works.

All that said Dracozolt is still a massive threat and I still get why people want it banned. The teambuilding pressure it exerts is among the most notable in the metagame. A particular struggle I find with it is that there aren't really any defensive electric resists than can check both it and Magnezone at once, meaning you need to overload on checks to electric types a bit.

To further generalize these arguments to the sand playstyle in general I feel like it would basically entirely die out if Dracozolt was banned, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it might result in the meta shifting away from weather a bit. Hippowdon would still get use as a standalone mon but it would drop off, and some more mediocre sand sweepers like Stoutland and Drilbur might let the playstyle hold on to a bit of relevancy. I've seen a lot of weather teams on ladder but I feel like some of that is due to new toy syndrome as I've seen a lot of the better players not running weather.

:conkeldurr: still has no checks really besides buzzwole, weezing or weezing galar, usually I just go into phys def clefable with 190 speed before it gets burned and take 50% from thunder punch and go from there. Many players on the ladder leave it in on clefables that obviously speed creep them and they just die or trade but even in the hands of a doofus conkeldurr can almost always take a mon down with it. Really the fact that people are seriously using weezing in this tier shows how much of an impact clefable and conkeldurr have on this meta, I guess my takeaway here is that unless buzzwole catches on in a major way I don't see conkeldurr getting any easier to check

:cloyster: :cinccino: Why is king's rock still allowed. This shit sucks man

:ninetales-alola: :garchomp: Evasion abilities are also pretty cheap because you can run them with no opportunity cost, and ninetales-alola even sets up hail for itself. This is a big factor in why I think hail, not sand, is the most annoying weather to face right now, although it might be because I overprepare for dracozolt a bit. However, if you ban evasion abilities I feel like it results in a lot of collateral damage as stuff like Garchomp outside of sand is perfectly fair and reasonable, even ninetales-alola is fair 90% of the time so part of me wants to leave in untouched
Personally, I never felt like Clef was overcentralizing. Sure, it's obnoxious, but it can be dealt with fairly easily. Even if it's +1, many things still 2HKO and some even OHKO, such as a Pex Venoshock if Clef is poisoned. Is Clef an issue, yes, it's role compression and variability in sets with all of it's sets being extremely threatening make it obnoxious, but not to the point where it is a necessity to scout the set like Conk to see if a mon on your team can actually check it. It's strong af, but not broken like Conk or Zolt in my opinion.

Zolt is just overbearing often times. The only pokemon that I can say reliably counters it are Hippo and Tangrowth (haven't run calcs with Fire Fang/Blast on Growth, so I'm not completely sure). However, Hippo still gets 3HKOd by Outrage, so if you get it down to around 60%, it can't switch in and wall anymore. Geezing and Kanto Weezing take two Bolt Beaks, but are plagued by lack of reliable recovery and vulnerability to passive and chip damage, so they can't really counter Zolt, especially because it's forced to deal with Conk and often other threats like Clefable as well. Zolt completely shuts down all teams that don't have one mon constantly healthy to specifically counter it.

Conk is a pokemon that I have pushed to get banned for a while. As you've said, the only true counters are the Weezings, which I've already talked about the weaknesses of. Even Buzzwole gets 2HKOd by Fire Punch after taking the Sheer Force and Iron Fist boosts into account. Couple this with Conk mostly running max speed other than Trick Room teams and there's not much you can do to deal with it. Fairies smacked by Jab, ghosts and psychics with Knock, bulky flyers with Ice/Thunder Punch, bugs with Fire Punch or Rock Slide, and poison types with Earthquake. Conk also has Facade to smack anything on a switch in. All it's coverage forces you to scout it out first in order to not get ran over, which sometimes doesn't even work because it can just demolish half of a team in the scouting process.

Kings Rock is inheritly uncompetitive, much like other RNG items such as Bright Powder and Quick Claw, but not strictly overcentralizing. I do think it should be banned for letting players have some control over RNG, but I can understand the counterarguments

Cloak and Veil users are frustrating, but not an easy thing to work around because you'd just have a ton of random pokemon banned. The Sandslash forms, for example. Unless there's a way to disable these abilities while enabling the other ones, I'd rather the abilities not be banned so the worse pokemon with these abilities don't get sent into limbo.

what about Clefairy While it's not outright overpowered theres a reason i'm seeing it on nearly everyones team (along with wheezing) but it's Just as bad as Conk and Zolt in the oppisite way.

A defensive wall/setup pokemon immune to toxic is already really good. Immune to stat changes too?.

Congratulations you now need a physical steel type to even hope to deal more then 50% else it's immortal unless your crit fishing.I would say poison too but there are so few pokemon that can deal good damage with jab unbuffed.

Then again I use Toxipex so maybe I should stop throwing stones in glass houses.

Heck if Galar Wheezing didn't nullify it I think it would be alot more complained about?

what about Clefairy While it's not outright overpowered theres a reason i'm seeing it on nearly everyones team (along with wheezing) but it's Just as bad as Conk and Zolt in the oppisite way.

A defensive wall/setup pokemon immune to toxic is already really good. Immune to stat changes too?.

Congratulations you now need a physical steel type to even hope to deal more then 50% else it's immortal unless your crit fishing.I would say poison too but there are so few pokemon that can deal good damage with jab unbuffed.

Then again I use Toxipex so maybe I should stop throwing stones in glass houses.

Heck if Galar Wheezing didn't nullify it I think it would be alot more complained about?
Clefable is most similar to gen 2 Snorlax. A team is worse without it, but it's not overbearing in any way. You don't need a physical steel type. If you can just wall Clef, that'd be plenty, and there's several pokemon that wall Clef. Corv, Pex, Tran, and Alolawak for example. Alolawak even 2HKOs with Flare Blitz and can scout the item with Poltergeist. As of now, I don't think it's banworthy, but give it a week or 2 and that can change

Even though the hotpatch that is banning Conk, Zolt, and King's Rock hasn't happened yet, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on the meta afterwards. Obviously, the meta won't completely revolve around countering two pokemon, which is nice. However, Zolt and Conk were major stop-gaps to stall, which I think will be much better with these two vicious wallbreakers gone. Clefable, Reuniclus, and Corviknight are all debatably top 3 pokemon with Clef and Reun commonly agreed upon to be the best two without Conk and Zolt. All of these pokemon have possible setup options and dish out solid damage without any investment, but also have great bulk and a surprisingly solid movepool, both offensive and support. All major stall pokemon that have notable roles in stall, mostly on the VR, include Clef, Reun, Corv, Ferro, Pex, Tran, Scizor, Slowbro, Galarian Slowbro, Slowking, Galarian Slowking, both Kanto and Galar Weezing, Zapdos, Moltres, Blissey, Eviolite Chansey, Quagsire, Hippo, Dragonite, Tangrowth, Pory2, Amoonguss, Bronzong, Gastrodon, Melmetal, Milotic, and Washtom. Keep in mind that these are just the pokemon on the VR and that several more pokemon are still viable in the meta despite not being on the VR (like Hitmonlee). If the format comes back for NatDex someday, we'd even have pokemon like Gliscor and Breloom pop up as both stall support and stallbreakers. Of course, without any way to reliably do damage, you can't consistently win, so obviously there has to be one pokemon to deal heavy damage, which I'd guess Mienshao would fill due to its ability to act as both a major hard hitter (can't get hit by Intimidate because of Inner Focus and has a base 156 power stab HJK after Reckless) and serve as a fairly bulky pokemon (my personal favorite set is AV with enough speed to outspeed base 100s. Change EVs as much as you desire, though). Coming into this new meta, my prediction is that stall will be the most optimal playstyle and counters to stall will have to be developed. With the loss of all of the three major wallbreakers (Mosa, which was legal back in April, Conk, and Zolt), stall will be much harder to break through and pressure. Hyperoffense teams will probably jump off of a cliff with the increase of pokemon that can deal with the sweepers, cleaners, and revenge killers because they don't have the same wall decimating capability they did before the bans. Sand especially will drop off of a cliff because it only has Lycanrock, Sandslash, and Stoutland (which doesn't even get Double Edge), leaving more room for other weather styles to rise in prominence. However, one style I do think may also have a chance to get better is balance for its ability to have mons to match the bulk of stall while simultaneously having pokemon with the capability to clean up a weakened team, especially if already pokemon are coming in on hazards or have some form of status. We will have to see how this new meta develops, but I'm looking forward to seeing what changes will come. Will Clef become too overcentralizing? Will the Weezings have major drops in usage without the two largest threats they check being gone? Will Alakazam and Sigilyph usage rise to combat heavy hazard stacking from stall? Only time will tell, and I'm excited for what's to come. I've been researching and studying this metagame for 18+ months, before it even came to gen 8, and these recent changes are making sure it'll be a long time before I stop.

First thoughts on the new meta, GO, GO, GO!

I really like how the meta is shaping up after the Conk and Zolt ban. I have been struggling less in the meta because I can actually build teams that revolve around countering more than two pokemon. As much as facing constant balance and stall can get frustrating at points, offense is still solid, just not as good. Stall and balance rule the meta, but I'm enjoying finding ways to play around it. I surprisingly haven't faced Clefable too much despite how strong it is. I've used a lot of mixed defense Reun and it's much better without having to switch in to Conk and Zolt to make them take Rocky Helmet damage. I actually put one on the first time I made for the new meta, but I decided to replace it with Milo to have a status absorber other than Blissey and a good check to some Sticky Web teams. This is the first team I've made https://pokepast.es/0d59c7d7caff407a

Dragapult was my choice to replace Dracozolt for the dragon type. Draco and Shadow Ball spamming is hard to counter without certain pokemon, but even with those pokemon, it isn't unbreakable. Goes past the screens and Webs on many hyperoffense teams with Infiltrator and Clear Body. Cursed Body can also be nice at times just to be annoying. Draco, Shadow Ball, and U-Turn are obvious, but Hydro is for Sandaconda, Hippo, Tyranitar, Gigalith, and Heatran.

Mienshao was the Conkeldurr replacement and fighting type for the team. Enough speed to outspeed base 100s and max attack with the rest dumped into HP and Assault Vest to maybe be able to take one special attack with stab Reckless HJK and no Intimidate because of Inner Focus. HJK is obvious, Knock for psychics and general utility, U-Turn for momentum, and Edge for flyers.

Zeraora is the electric type to replace the other type of Dracozolt. Obviously able to win speed wars against almost all non-scarf pokemon. CC for general coverage, Knock for utility, and Volt for momentum.

Corviknight is the basic physical wall with easy stalling capability with Pressure and ability to shut down berry users with Unnerve plus Mirror Armor for Intimidate and secondary effects of moves. I'm not going to explain the moveset, because it's all obvious.

Blissey for a special sponge. I originally had Tri-Attack, but I replaced it with Thunder Wave once I added Milo to the team. Seismic Toss for basic consistent damage and Softboiled are obvious. I didn't have a Stealth Rocker and I hadn't been doing too great at first, so I replaced Toxic with Rocks.

Milotic for a mixed wall and the EVs to be equal in both defenses after being hit by status. Scald and Recover are obvious, and Toxic too to a lower degree. Dragon Tail is to force unfavorable switches and Stealth Rock damage repeatedly. You can adapt EVs to take hits because I haven't done calcs at all.

Basic balance, but it does have flaws. No true win con and really weak defensively on either side once either Blissey or Corviknight are taken out. Dragapult is vulnerable to repeated hits from hazards. Along with that, all of my offensive pokemon are extremely weak to status. Sure, I have Blissey and Milo to absorb status, but I think a cleric might have been a better choice. Been trying to get 1300 elo with it

I would like to make two suggestions related to the viability rankings. I know, shocking I'm not posting about how a mon needs to be banned or how a mon isn't as good as many are lead to believe. The first suggestion is adding Hitmonlee to the VR because its usage is at a decent level and it is relevant to the metagame to a degree. Hitmonlee is like a midway between Mienshao and Hawlucha. No Mold Breaker, Regenerator, or Inner Focus, but Reckless, Unburden, and Limber is a really nice combination. It can be run on terrain teams fairly well with nuclear power and surprisingly solid coverage. However, Lee still has several issues. 125 base attack does still hit hard, but not nearly as hard as it used to thanks to power creep. Only having base 87 speed means that if you're running something like White Herb+Curse, you're fairly slow in a lot of cases. If you try to run Adamant, it can't even outspeed a base 73 speed pokemon with max speed investment and a plus speed nature. Even with setup, Lee has a lot of trouble busting through common walls, especially if running either White Herb or Normal Gem because you make your 4 moveslot syndrome worse than it would be otherwise. Don't get me wrong, it has a place in the metagame, but it's extremely inconsistent and most of the time, you're better off using one of either Lucha or Mienshao and having another mon on your team cover some of the traits the mon you choose lacks because Lee simply doesn't put in even close to the same consistent game to game performance of Lucha and Mienshao. Personally, I think Hitmonlee is either C- or D, not because it's bad, but because it is heavily outclassed by two different pokemon and Lee's issues hold it back much more than Mienshao and Lucha's issues. My second suggestion would be to move Corviknight to A+ tier with Clef and Reuniclus. While Mag is still a huge stop-gap to Corv's walling capability, its bulk still lets it do a crazy amount. In the post-ban meta focusing on the shift to stall and balance teams, Pressure's ability to stall out a pokemon's PP twice as fast is a massive deal. With a lack of Conk and Zolt, Corv is even more prosperous as one of the few pokemon that is both a stall staple and a stallbreaker with things such as Taunt to shut down other walls, U-Turn for momentum, Defog for hazard removal, even Tailwind isn't useless with a lot of slower wallbreakers like Alolawak in the metagame (when it's not on a Trick Room team or using a Flame Charge double Dance set). Its set variability is also nice in a similar vein to something like Reun or Clef, even if not as varied. Several setup options in Bulk Up, Hone Claws, Iron Defense, and Agility if you want to run a Power Trip cleaner set. A base 120 power stab move in Brave Bird is always nice, even if not the most powerful hit and on a mon with no investment, Iron Head is a more niche option to try to get some RNG and annoy people with flinches, a solid base 80 power fighting type move that goes off of the defense stat that will more likely than not have full investment instead of going off of an uninvested attack stat. Corviknight does have several options, even if not as many as Clef. Its sheer walling ability combined with its role compression and set variability along with how splashable and easy it is to fit on any team despite archetype is a true testament to how phenomenal Corviknight is, especially in the pokebilities metagame.

I'll be giving Perrserker a look without Conk, Absolute Iron Head Nukes with Tough Claws + Steely Spirit which would just destroy any Clefable. Idk if thats enough to make it great though, sincee it doesn't get Knock Off and it doesn't really do anything to a lot of the higher tiers and especially hates Heatran since its got a 4x resistance to Iron Head and if it gets a burn with Flame Body then Perrserker is toast, though Life Orb Close Combat deals with it and Ferrothorn. Magnezone is an Issue because of Sturdy and Magnet Pull but if you could get Sturdy out of the way with rocks or something else it could get it with Close Combat too.

Speed is where I have a dilemma, not sure what to do there yet, its still fairly frail even max HP but I don't know if there's a point to investing in speed since it needs a lot of it to outspeed anything.

Speed is where I have a dilemma, not sure what to do there yet, its still fairly frail even max HP but I don't know if there's a point to investing in speed since it needs a lot of it to outspeed anything.
I think one thing you can do is give it Trick Room support.
Yeah, Trick Room is pretty hard to use, but it may have more benefits in this meta due to many teams wanting to use Pokemon that rely on speed or being pretty bulky.
Also, you can use U-turn on Magnezone to escape from Magnet Pull.

I remember using Perrserker in another Meta where it recieved Tinted Lens, which unfortunately it lacks in this meta. It was pretty good without Trick Room support as it was a pressure tool.

https://pokepast.es/2b2e10e9c973d0c0

With all the stall running around, I thought I'd make a team to try to serve as a hard counter to stall while simultaneously not doing too terrible against balance. As I did with my last team, I will give an analysis on the roles of pokemon.

Clefable- One of ther several Magic Guard users in the metagame. I used Calm Mind instead of Cosmic Power because boosting my defenses would only really help against the one or two pokemon per stall team used as win conditions and Calm Mind helps boost the power to deal with other threats. CM Clef is nutorious for struggling with choosing coverage, which only gets worse in this meta. Steels wall it without Flamethrower, Toxapex needs Thunder or Thunderbolt most of the time, Heatran requires Focus Blast, Alolawak only gets hit too hard by Shadow Ball, and poison types make it difficult without Psychic or Stored Power. I decided to go with Stored Power to deal with poisons as well as hit Pex super effectively and hit Alolawak for neutral damage.

Starmie- I needed a pokemon for hazard removal, but since I wanted the team to be a Spikes stack team, I didn't want Defog. I decided Starmie to smack everything on the switch while being able to reliably restore its HP to be able to Spin several times. Status is already nullified by Natural Cure, so I decided to make switching even more helpful with Boots. Analytic is extremely nice when you aren't required to give up Natural Cure, hitting Spin blockers hard if you can predict the switch.

Mienshao- Basic offensive demon with some decent defensive utility. SD to help boost to try to bust through certain pokemon, Knock for Psychics and utility, U-Turn for momentum, and HJK for Reckless boosted stab. I chose Black Belt over Life Orb to not be forced to U-Turn after a certain amount of turns.

Sigilyph- Wanted another Magic Guard breaker, but Alakazam is frail and while Reuniclus is stronger and bulkier, it is also slower by a landslide. Here is where I decided Cosmic Power over Calm Mind because only 4x resists can resist Sigilyph's stab and paralysis isn't the most reliable because status moves are only 50% accurate thanks to Wonder Skin. Life Orb without recoil makes it even more frustrating to kill Sigilyph because it isn't progressively wearing itself down and isn't taking Stealth Rock damage thanks to Magic Guard, helping it boost its defenses to difficult to break levels, helping its ability to sweep.

Druddigon- Nice power and utility in one. Base 120 attack is always nice, even if uninvested. Potential to be really annoying with Rocky Helmet+Rough Skin. The added contact punishment is what made me choose Rocky Helmet over Leftovers, which would help me recover HP, or Life Orb, which would work much better on an offensive set because Sheer Force boosted moves don't cause Life Orb damage. Claw for basic stab, Rocks because I needed a setter, Glare for status (thinking about replacing with either Fire Punch or Flamethrower. Decided against it as of now, but I may change it), and Gunk Shot to make cocky players regret switching in fairy types in.

Mew- Sets up Spikes. I wanted a mon that had reliable recovery and could repeatedly lay down the Spikes. The only pokemon with reliable recovery that also get Spikes are Maractus, Accelgor, Roserade, and Skarmory. Skarmory has Weak Armor, so no, Maractus has no bulk, same with Accelgor, and Roserade does have the nice utility of absorbing T Spikes and not being able to be Tricked without consequences because of Black Sludge, but its physical defense is rather poor, even if invested, while also having the issue that Synthesis is only 8 PP in comparison to Roost's 16 PP. Taunt to annoy stall, Roost to recover off damage, and Psychic Fangs for a basic attacking move to break annoying screens on hyper offense teams.

Always open to constructive criticism, so feel free to suggest anything you feel would make my team better. I think this team will do fair, but I haven't tried it yet. However, one thing I will say is that I'm glad I found uses for pokemon I thought had unique roles that hadn't really been optimized like Starmie and Druddigon.

https://pokepast.es/2b2e10e9c973d0c0

With all the stall running around, I thought I'd make a team to try to serve as a hard counter to stall while simultaneously not doing too terrible against balance. As I did with my last team, I will give an analysis on the roles of pokemon.

Clefable- One of ther several Magic Guard users in the metagame. I used Calm Mind instead of Cosmic Power because boosting my defenses would only really help against the one or two pokemon per stall team used as win conditions and Calm Mind helps boost the power to deal with other threats. CM Clef is nutorious for struggling with choosing coverage, which only gets worse in this meta. Steels wall it without Flamethrower, Toxapex needs Thunder or Thunderbolt most of the time, Heatran requires Focus Blast, Alolawak only gets hit too hard by Shadow Ball, and poison types make it difficult without Psychic or Stored Power. I decided to go with Stored Power to deal with poisons as well as hit Pex super effectively and hit Alolawak for neutral damage.

Starmie- I needed a pokemon for hazard removal, but since I wanted the team to be a Spikes stack team, I didn't want Defog. I decided Starmie to smack everything on the switch while being able to reliably restore its HP to be able to Spin several times. Status is already nullified by Natural Cure, so I decided to make switching even more helpful with Boots. Analytic is extremely nice when you aren't required to give up Natural Cure, hitting Spin blockers hard if you can predict the switch.

Mienshao- Basic offensive demon with some decent defensive utility. SD to help boost to try to bust through certain pokemon, Knock for Psychics and utility, U-Turn for momentum, and HJK for Reckless boosted stab. I chose Black Belt over Life Orb to not be forced to U-Turn after a certain amount of turns.

Sigilyph- Wanted another Magic Guard breaker, but Alakazam is frail and while Reuniclus is stronger and bulkier, it is also slower by a landslide. Here is where I decided Cosmic Power over Calm Mind because only 4x resists can resist Sigilyph's stab and paralysis isn't the most reliable because status moves are only 50% accurate thanks to Wonder Skin. Life Orb without recoil makes it even more frustrating to kill Sigilyph because it isn't progressively wearing itself down and isn't taking Stealth Rock damage thanks to Magic Guard, helping it boost its defenses to difficult to break levels, helping its ability to sweep.

Druddigon- Nice power and utility in one. Base 120 attack is always nice, even if uninvested. Potential to be really annoying with Rocky Helmet+Rough Skin. The added contact punishment is what made me choose Rocky Helmet over Leftovers, which would help me recover HP, or Life Orb, which would work much better on an offensive set because Sheer Force boosted moves don't cause Life Orb damage. Claw for basic stab, Rocks because I needed a setter, Glare for status (thinking about replacing with either Fire Punch or Flamethrower. Decided against it as of now, but I may change it), and Gunk Shot to make cocky players regret switching in fairy types in.

Mew- Sets up Spikes. I wanted a mon that had reliable recovery and could repeatedly lay down the Spikes. The only pokemon with reliable recovery that also get Spikes are Maractus, Accelgor, Roserade, and Skarmory. Skarmory has Weak Armor, so no, Maractus has no bulk, same with Accelgor, and Roserade does have the nice utility of absorbing T Spikes and not being able to be Tricked without consequences because of Black Sludge, but its physical defense is rather poor, even if invested, while also having the issue that Synthesis is only 8 PP in comparison to Roost's 16 PP. Taunt to annoy stall, Roost to recover off damage, and Psychic Fangs for a basic attacking move to break annoying screens on hyper offense teams.

Always open to constructive criticism, so feel free to suggest anything you feel would make my team better. I think this team will do fair, but I haven't tried it yet. However, one thing I will say is that I'm glad I found uses for pokemon I thought had unique roles that hadn't really been optimized like Starmie and Druddigon.
This team gets rolled by rain. Maybe a pex instead of mew?

Spikes are able to apply much more pressure than Toxic Spikes, plus I wanted the Spikes setter to have reliable recovery to repeatedly lay hazards. One spike+rocks on a mon neutral to rocks without intimidate is an automatic 25% and with 3 Spikes down, it's 37.5% rounded down on any mon neutral to both. Easily knocks several pokemon into KO range with ease and Boots isn't the hardest to work around as some chip damage can knock several pokemon into range and can be knocked off.

Spikes are able to apply much more pressure than Toxic Spikes, plus I wanted the Spikes setter to have reliable recovery to repeatedly lay hazards. One spike+rocks on a mon neutral to rocks without intimidate is an automatic 25% and with 3 Spikes down, it's 37.5% rounded down on any mon neutral to both. Easily knocks several pokemon into KO range with ease and Boots isn't the hardest to work around as some chip damage can knock several pokemon into range and can be knocked off.
What about Ferrothorn?
It mixes the anti-rain aspect of Toxapex and has the Spikes+Stealth Rock but relies on Leech Seed and Leftovers.

tried doing a trick room team but I'm just not sure how to execute trick room teams in singles, looked at a lot of trick room setters and figured that Jellicent and Reuniclus were my best options, Jellicent is pretty bulky and can get burns with Scald or Will-O-Wisp, and Cursed Body is nice to disable a move and possibly force a switch to get the trick room sweeper in. Reuniclus benefits itself from setting trick room but I kinda felt like I just wanted to use its other moves instead of trick room most of the time, it does like swapping because of regenerator though. Considered Bronzong, Gothitelle, and Whimsicott but I'm not sure If they combo well with Perrserker.

I decided to swap out Life Orb on Perrserker for Assault Vest, so Perrserker could survive more turns of trick room but ended up switching again to Choice Band since I came up short on a couple Iron Heads and got OHKO'd in return, figured that since its already so situational requiring trick room to be up I should just take advantage of it as much as possible with Iron Head bombs and hopefully deal with pokemon Iron Head doesn't hit hard before hand.

I also figured Arctozolt also takes advantage of trick room well but it might be a better idea to swap for someone else who's more effective against ground types since Arctozolt doesn't get any reliable physical Ice type moves, maybe Arctovish works out better? Swap Jellicent out for Bronzong since he's still got bulk and eliminates two weaknesses with Heatproof and Levitate.

feel like two setter and 2 sweepers might be relying on trick room too much, I filled out the rest of the team with Dragapult and Mienshao and they're fast, maybe I should just cut it down to one trick roomer and Perrserker and build the rest of the team for dealing with what Perrserker can't.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
tried doing a trick room team but I'm just not sure how to execute trick room teams in singles, looked at a lot of trick room setters and figured that Jellicent and Reuniclus were my best options, Jellicent is pretty bulky and can get burns with Scald or Will-O-Wisp, and Cursed Body is nice to disable a move and possibly force a switch to get the trick room sweeper in. Reuniclus benefits itself from setting trick room but I kinda felt like I just wanted to use its other moves instead of trick room most of the time, it does like swapping because of regenerator though. Considered Bronzong, Gothitelle, and Whimsicott but I'm not sure If they combo well with Perrserker.
Original slowbro and slowking have oblivious, regenerator, and teleport, so they are ideal TR setters. I saw lots of porygon2 trick room as well back when conk was in.

https://pokepast.es/7507fdb2e8f614fb

Lil stall team. Clef and Reun as win conditions with Cosmic Clef and CM Reun. I gave Clef equal defenses because I don't know calcs and Clef should be given enough investment on any team to take hits on both sides. Reun has physical defense investment to make sure it can survive physical hits because you're already setting up your special defense. I slapped on Rocky Helmet to add on some contact punishment. I wanted a steel type Defogger with few weaknesses, so I chose Scizor with full SpDef investment for Lele. Decided against Swords Dance because I already had two pokemon that serve the purpose of a win condition. Pex is another generally annoying and bulky hazard setter that can also annoy with burns on poison types or physical attackers. I went against Knock because after I was done teambuilding, I already had two Knock users. I have T Spike+Venoshock to do batter and weaken an opposing team and put them in the range of Reun and Clef. Hippo is on the team for generally solid physical defense with extra utility as a status spreader and hazard setter, adding on Rocky Helmet for more annoying contact punishment. Finally, I added on Ferrothorn. Knock to remove items such as Boots and Choice items, Spikes to stack even more hazards, and Leech Seed+Protect+Leftovers for as much recovery as poosible while also annoying opponents with Leech Seed damage and Iron Barbs contact punishment. The main goal of the team is to get as much residual damage as possible to wear down a team through hazards, Leech Seed, Rocky Helmet/Iron Barbs, and Toxapex chip damage to set up for a late game cleanup with Clef or Reun. I personally think this is one of, if not, the best team I have made yet.

One thing I've found in several teams I've faced and several teams I've made is a weakness to Garchomp. Several ladder teams I've seen just don't have anything for it. There are pokemon like Corviknight and Ferrothorn, but Garchomp does get Fire Blast, which it runs fairly commonly, to heavily chunk both. One pokemon I've looked at as a possible answer to Garchomp is Bronzong. Resists dragon, has Levitate for ground, has Heatproof for fire, and the only coverage moves Chomp has to hit Zong super effectively are Crunch and Shadow Claw. However, Crunch is only a 2HKO with Jolly 252 Atk Life Orb 16% of the time and Shadow Claw is even lower, possibly not even having a chance to 2HKO. Crunch stops 2HKOing if Zong is running Leftovers. However, very few Chomps run Crunch as of now. It's normally an SD set, Tankchomp, or a rocks setter, and Chomp already has trouble with 4MSS, so it has to be conservative of it's move slots. If not running either Crunch or Shadow Claw, Bronzong is an iron clad wall to Chomp and can easily wear it or a switchin down with Toxic. Zong also has additional utility in Stealth Rock setup and Trick as possibilities, so it has many more uses than just countering most Chomps. While other steels like Corv and Ferro are definitely better, Zong does have a solid place in the meta as a unique steel type with optional utility.

https://pokepast.es/33ea7c9a16e67781

Ok, before I start on the team analysis, this team is one made only for fun games. If you want to win, do not use this team. Now, on to the explanation.

This team is one that focuses heavily on the status of poison in tandem with the offensive capabilities of Hex and Venoshock on Dragapult and Toxapex respectively. With several ways to spread poison, such as Toxic Spikes, Corrosion, Poison Point, and Poison Touch, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a poison on a pokemon. Now to talk about the team. Instead of doing what I normally do, I will go from last in the teambuilding order to the first

Misty Surge is a huge roadblock to anything that spreads status, especially teams reliant on Hex and Venoshock abuse. I knew I needed a terrain setter to stop that, and I thought Rillaboom would be the best option. While it doesn't do much to Geezing, it can still remove its Black Sludge and cripple it along with smacking Fini extremely hard. I decided to go with Assault Vest to lessen reliance on prediction (I literally went against my favorite set in all of pokemon, Choice Band Rillaboom, to make this team something that is able to win, even if its mainly for fun) despite the loss in power. Leech Seed+Protect+Terrain+Leftovers could be cool on a stall team, but I figured that I needed a more offensive pokemon that doesn't rely on Venoshock or Hex for a large source of its damage. Due to the ability to compress the roles of an offensive powerhouse and a terrain setter, I thought Rillaboom was the best choice. Wood Hammer for monstrous stab, Glide for crazy priority, Knock to remove items and predict switches if I don't need to pivot, and U-Turn for pivoting and momentum claiming.

Dragapult is the main abuser with its monstrous Hex tearing through most of the meta. I chose Boots over Specs because if the opponent switches into an opponent without status, Hex is rather weak, and I didn't want to give any opponent free turns. Other than that, Draco to nuke, Fire Blast for steels, and U-Turn for momentum. Basic nuke and cleaner option

Salazzle is used to poison pokemon otherwise immune ot the status without being able to be Taunted due to Oblivious. Flamethrower and Sludge Bomb for obvious stab, Sludge Bomb even having a 30% chance to poison, Knock for basic item removal, and Toxic to be able to ruin bulky poison and steel types.

Seismetoad is a basic utility Rocks setter. Obviously Rocks because hazards are nearly mandatory, Knock Off for item removal and a chance to poison on contact, Toxic to completely cripple walls that thought they were safe to switch in, and Scald for physical attackers and pokemon that can't be poisoned. Along with this, Seismetoad is one of the very few pokemon able to demolish most rain teams with the combination of Water Absorb and Swift Swim.

Roserade for the Toxic Spikes setter. T Spikes for instant poison, Sludge Bomb for stab and the 30% poison chance, Sleep Powder to give myself a free turn or two, and Giga Drain for powerful recovery. Black Sludge to avoid being tricked. Has Natural Cure for status and Poison Point for contact punishment, but Technician only really boosts Magical Leaf, which I still wouldn't suggest using as Sand Veil/Snow Cloak/Bright Powder are simply far too uncommon.

Toxapex is the main bulky mon with an insanely powerful move for a bulky pokemon with no investment. Knock for basic item removal, Scald for physical attackers and pokemon that can't be poisoned, Recover to restore health, and Venoshock for poison abuse. Despite its extremely low special attack, Toxapex can do a ton of damage with Venoshock. Let me just calc the base power for you real quick. Venoshock is 65 power, multiply by two because poison and you get 130. After that, you take the stab multiplier, adding half of 130, which is 65. 130 plus 65 is 195. Finally, you apply the crit multiplier that is 1.5 to the 195. 195x1.5=292.5 rounded down to 292, more powerful than a non-stab Explosion. Despite an extremely low special attack and no investment into the special attack, Toxapex is able to heavily abuse poison support.

So yes, this team is just meant for fun, not for any serious competition. There are several hard counters to the team and despite several methods, poison isn't too hard to remove or deal with. Hope you enjoy my teams and analyses. I saw someone on ladder yesterday using my double Magic Guard+Druddigon team, so I'm assuming at least someone likes them.

As the meta is coming to a close yet again, I'd like to talk about some of the developments in the metagame even more so than the past few posts I've made. Before January, Phermosa, Dracozolt, Conkeldurr, and King's Rock were all allowed. (brace yourself, its a long read)

The first ban was Phermosa. The metagame didn't change too much after the ban because while offense wasn't as good without Mosa, it was still extremely strong with other pokemon such as Azu and Rillaboom, but losing Mosa definitely dented the viability. Without the possibility of Scarf Phermosa with Drill Run, however, sand became even more powerful with Dracozolt.

Sand's capability was crazy with the insane bulk of pokemon like Hippo, Ferro, and Corv, and the offensive capability was extraordinarily strong with Dracozolt being the main perpetrator. Dracozolt was so strong that even most teams that don't run sand still run Dracozolt to put opposing teams in a catch-22 situation, don't get their sand up and be far worse off or get their sand up and risk being overrun by the opposing Zolt. This was the exact thing that got Sand Rush banned in BW OU. However, Conk would also often be wreaking havoc with its crazy power and ability combination plus Drain Punch offsetting sand, burn, and hazards.

Even though it was a mainstay, Conk wasn't limited to just sand teams, as it was on every viable offensive team, reigning as the best pokemon after Mosa's ban. Conk completely overwhelmed teambuilding and battling due to a necessity of scouting to beat it and its ability to force pokemon out with ease, being able to 2HKO everything not named Weezing or Geezing. Every time Conk came in, it would force a sack if you didn't have one of the Weezings, the same thing that got Dracovish banned at the beginning of SS OU. However, Conkeldurr was debatably worse (I definitely believe its much more overpowered than Dracovish) because of a few things. Dracovish could be crippled by burn or para and pretty much only used Fishous Rend along with being locked into a Choice item and could be easily worn down, even if not killed, by hazards and chip, relying on Wish support to help it. Conk, however, has none of those flaws. Conk gets boosted from status, isn't locked into a choice item most of the time, doesn't just spam the same one move repeatedly, making it much scarier as it could switch between moves to destroy different pokemon, and could heal off chip damage from things such as weather, hazards, burn, etc with Drain Punch. With all of this, Conk dominated the metagame with an iron fist (pun not intended) and made it completely revolve around itself.

Lower down on the ladder, Cinccino was much more common and mostly running King's Rock. This caused many people trouble with its ability to turn a counter into fodder with luck that the player had the ability to control. Due to the ability for the player to have some sort of control over luck, this frustrated several players as their losses often came down not to how either player made their move decisions, but rather getting a flinch or two. While not as bad an offender as Conk and Zolt, King's Rock did get banned alongside the two.

Without Dracozolt, sand completely dropped off and is no longer seen as viable to many people. I've seen people try to replicate the style with Alolan Dugtrio and Mienshao, but without Zolt and Conk, sand is simply not worth facilitating in the majority of situations. Hippowdon remains to be absolutely phenomenal, but not for its sand setting capabilities.

Offense also took a major hit, having its stall busting capabilities destroyed. Without Conk, much of the sheer ferocity and ability to completely decimate any defensive pokemon is gone, leaving offense in between a rock and a hard place where it doesn't have the defenses on any pokemon to take hits, but it also struggles with breaking through extremely bulky pokemon.

The new meta has become a set of three styles, balance, stall, and hyperoffense. Hyperoffense is the one I've seen most commonly, most of the reason coming down to Hail+Veil making Arctozolt extremely good. With sand having a heavy drop off and rain just being overall uncommon, it allows Atales to set up far easier.

Balance has increased in viability because it doesn't completely fall to offense due to a lack of pokemon able to deal with Mosa, Conk, and Zolt, even if it doesn't have those same pokemon to reign hell down on stall. Due to these bans, however, balance also became much more defensively sound. While a trade-off, balance did end up benefiting far more than it got hurt.

However, the style that most benefited from the bans was easily stall. Stall was already really solid, being the best team archetype that didn't have Mosa, Conk, or Zolt on it; although, granted, that was most teams. With these absolutely nuclear threats being absent, stall has become absolutely insane and easily the best archetype in the meta. Offense and balance have trouble going up against stall because several strategies are just neutered. Trying to overwhelm with residual damage is difficult with the prominence of Magic Guard users, setup is infuriatingly difficult with Clef and Quag being absolutely amazing, abusing broken abilities is much harder because of the Weezings, so you're left with forcing switches constantly and not letting them recover, which is notoriously difficult against pokemon with the level of bulk that stall teams have, especially with Magic Guard and Boots.

Thanks for reading! I have loved this metagame for the longest time and I've loved seeing it develop. I've been looking into and researching a lot for this post and making some videos, and I will say it's been nice being able to look back at the meta's past. From looking at Raticate as a possible option in battles against the abyssal bot to being one of the more respected figureheads of the metagame, its truly been a journey that I have loved being on. Thank you all for trying out this meta! I will be a lifelong fan of pokebilities and keep being a figurehead in the community for as long as I can.

Last edited:

Byleth

Retirement
Hi with Pokebilities ladder duration coming to a close I would like to make a nomination for this little fella who apparently missed the vr. :cinccino:

I think B at the least is appropriate for it (although I wouldn't mind B+), with this set in mind:
:sm/cinccino:

Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Triple Axel/U-Turn
(ftr I think pads and scarf are also viable options, but none of them are simply destructive as band)

Cinccino is often regarded as a low ladder mon and I think when Kings Rock was legal and then banned people thought this mon fell off or something (bad set anyway). But given you can equip a Choice Band and stack Technician and Skill Link on this thing, people forget this thing can just have no switchins if it wants;

252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 185-220 (46.3 - 55.1%) -- approx. 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 240-285 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 320-380 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 200-240 (65.7 - 78.9%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 390-470 (104.2 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 210-245 (54.9 - 64.1%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhelm can be a problem but that means you can wear it down with rocks/hit it with bullet seed)
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 310-365 (97.7 - 115.1%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO (axel obviously kills)
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 145-175 (55.9 - 67.5%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 255-300 (64.7 - 76.1%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 235-280 (60.8 - 72.5%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 375-440 (109.9 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(for your average offensive mon, if your bulk is less than mew, you will just get OHKO'd)

So if it kills everything, why am I not ranking it any higher?
Well for one, this thing is super frail so it needs Teleport/Volt Turn support to get in safely, and obviously with band you will have trouble locking into moves sometimes seeing as being locked into Normal (less so in this metagame) and Grass is generally abusable for offense teams. Its speed tier is great in this meta, but I feel things like Zama-Crowned, Dragapult, and Rillaboom existing are gatekeeping it from being any more dominant. Additionally, walls DO exist, in Galarian Weezing (suppresses abilities), Melmetal, Zama-C (resists everything), and Ferrothorn (spdef might take a lot but Iron Barbs are very annoying and pads doesn't have the breaking power to get through Ferrothorn.

Some cool partners to help with Cinccino I've been experimenting with are Rillaboom, who powers seed to be able to do stuff like 2HKO defensive lando and OHKO Slowbro and Hippowdon, and Zone who can chip mons like Melm, Ferro, and various other random Steels that may prevent it from OHKO/2HKO'ing the entire team.

An example of a team I've used Cinccino on lies here in which the team worked pretty with Cinccino easily softens the team with the help of Rillaboom/Lele/Lucha to help clean up after.

But overall idk if this mon was forgotten or just disregarded as trash but this thing deserves to be ranked seriously here it's strong and can just 2HKO almost the whole meta when used right and it's not even slow.

Hi with Pokebilities ladder duration coming to a close I would like to make a nomination for this little fella who apparently missed the vr. :cinccino:

I think B at the least is appropriate for it (although I wouldn't mind B+), with this set in mind:
:sm/cinccino:

Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Triple Axel/U-Turn
(ftr I think pads and scarf are also viable options, but none of them are simply destructive as band)

Cinccino is often regarded as a low ladder mon and I think when Kings Rock was legal and then banned people thought this mon fell off or something (bad set anyway). But given you can equip a Choice Band and stack Technician and Skill Link on this thing, people forget this thing can just have no switchins if it wants;

252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 185-220 (46.3 - 55.1%) -- approx. 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 240-285 (57.1 - 67.8%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 320-380 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 200-240 (65.7 - 78.9%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 390-470 (104.2 - 125.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 210-245 (54.9 - 64.1%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (Rhelm can be a problem but that means you can wear it down with rocks/hit it with bullet seed)
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult: 310-365 (97.7 - 115.1%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO (axel obviously kills)
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 145-175 (55.9 - 67.5%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 255-300 (64.7 - 76.1%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 235-280 (60.8 - 72.5%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 375-440 (109.9 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(for your average offensive mon, if your bulk is less than mew, you will just get OHKO'd)

So if it kills everything, why am I not ranking it any higher?
Well for one, this thing is super frail so it needs Teleport/Volt Turn support to get in safely, and obviously with band you will have trouble locking into moves sometimes seeing as being locked into Normal (less so in this metagame) and Grass is generally abusable for offense teams. Its speed tier is great in this meta, but I feel things like Zama-Crowned, Dragapult, and Rillaboom existing are gatekeeping it from being any more dominant. Additionally, walls DO exist, in Galarian Weezing (suppresses abilities), Melmetal, Zama-C (resists everything), and Ferrothorn (spdef might take a lot but Iron Barbs are very annoying and pads doesn't have the breaking power to get through Ferrothorn.

Some cool partners to help with Cinccino I've been experimenting with are Rillaboom, who powers seed to be able to do stuff like 2HKO defensive lando and OHKO Slowbro and Hippowdon, and Zone who can chip mons like Melm, Ferro, and various other random Steels that may prevent it from OHKO/2HKO'ing the entire team.

An example of a team I've used Cinccino on lies here in which the team worked pretty with Cinccino easily softens the team with the help of Rillaboom/Lele/Lucha to help clean up after.

But overall idk if this mon was forgotten or just disregarded as trash but this thing deserves to be ranked seriously here it's strong and can just 2HKO almost the whole meta when used right and it's not even slow.
Actually, Cinccino did get on the viability at C tier. I personally believe it got the rank it deserved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)