ORAS Ubers Poison Berries HO [Peak #5 Ladder]

> Poison Berries - ORAS Ubers <

Introduction

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Looking to get more involved, so I thought I'd start by posting an ubers team I've been working on. I've been playing with and refining this team on the upper levels of the ubers ladder for a little while now, and I've reached the point where I no longer have anything substantive to change. Whether this is due to the limits of my teambuilding skill or my battling skill I hope you'll help me figure out. Enjoy!

The Team

Cranberry (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Scoliopede usually leads unless the other team has a really obvious counter-lead like Diancie or Klefki. Scoli's best niche in ubers is guaranteeing at least one layer of toxic spikes and usually crippling at least one defensive pokemon (hopefully the defogger) with toxic. Most suicide leads are destroyed by Pin Missile, and it's usually smart to go straight for the attack against a predicted taunt. Against Groudon I usually toxic on the first turn, and then stall them out with protect while getting up spikes. Toxic also hits Giratina or flyers that come in to avoid/defog the spikes, making it worth running over Endeavor.

Blackberry (Lucario) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Using Lucario effectively requires identifying the weak link in the opposing team, that one moment where you can set up a swords dance. If it manages to set up, it's an unparalleled wallbreaker. BP does a nice job revenging Xerneas if it's past 50%, which this team is usually able to accomplish through passive damage and a resisted hit. After a Swords Dance, Lucario rips through teams, especially bulky Arceus forms. The only non-standard move is Rock Slide, which lures Ho-Oh and Flying types that come in on the SD. I go back and forth on Adamant vs Jolly, but the extra power for bullet punch is worth it, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't that much worth outspeeding between the two speed tiers.

Blueberry (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Aromatherapy

I really can't say enough good things about Scarf Xerneas. It can sweep, revenge kill, and act as an emergency cleric. It's also bulky enough to take one hit of pretty much any priority move after rocks. 90% of the time I just Moonblast and destroy. If it kills something slower, you can also bluff the Geo set and kill the Darkrai that comes in to revenge. The rest of the moves are sort of filler. Grass Knot does about 35-45 to Primal Groudon without risking the miss of Focus Blast, which doesn't have a ton of use outside hitting Groudon and the rare stray Ferrothorn. Aromatherapy is a pain to run on a scarf user but it has bailed me out from a few key burns/twaves and it helps bluff. This team handles Darkrai pretty well, so Sleep Talk isn't neccesary.

Strawberry (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Hey look who it is! This is pretty standard SpDef PDon, with some extra speed. It's EVed to outspeed standard Primal Kyogre and bulky Ho-Oh. Main job is to get up rocks, but Adamant nature helps put power behind the utility. Stone Edge murders Ho-Oh (when it hits) and some weakened birds. Dragon Tail is great to toss out their incoming defogger or scout their switch-ins, many of which happen to be dragon types.

Without getting on my soapbox about how much I hate Precipice Blades, I really hate Precipice Blades. Earthquake has always been a great move, with nice base 100 power, perfect accuracy, and reliable STAB. Matched up against Xerneas, I need PDon to put out enough damage for Xern to be revenged by a Bullet Punch. With hazards, Earthquake does that 100% of the time. Precipice Blades succeeds 85% of the time.

Raspberry (Yveltal) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

Yveltal does a nice job in this meta, and with PDon it makes up the defensive backbone of this team. It's an excellent switch-in to EKiller, Mega Mence (even after Stealth Rock), Arceus-Ghost, Gengar (though you might die to Destiny Bond) and Mega Kangaskhan. Sucker Punch provides emergency priority. It can also Toxic some obvious switch ins. Rocky Helmet is great for racking up passive damage against the physically-oriented metagame. Yveltal lures in Xerneas, which often seem to bait the hazard-conscious opposing player into popping Geomancy before they probably should.

Banana (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Bananas are berries right? Not much needs to be said about EKiller - I chose to go with Edgequake coverage because I think it's simply better than the Shadow Claw variety. I don't have much trouble with Giratina, and Stone Edge helps hit Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and Mega Mence, which are all relevant late game threats. Despite being an unparalleled late-game sweeper, Arceus is sometimes better used to beat up troublesome walls early so that Lucario can sweep.

Also, scout for Charti Yveltal before setting up. I lost an embarrassing ladder match to a prominent youtuber that way. Maybe I should be running Charti Yveltal.

Threatlist

Mega-Gengar absorbs Tspikes and doesn't get OHKOed by anything on my team. I usually hold off on setting Tspikes until it's gone. If it's weakened I can take it out with Bullet Punch or Scarf Moonblast, but I usually end up having to trade Yveltal for it.

Lead Excadrill takes a chunk out of this team. It shuts down Scoliopede takes a few Yveltal foul plays to kill. Usually leaves me somewhat behind by the team it goes down.

Mega-Diancie is not quite as common as I think it should be in Ubers (probably because of mega opportunity cost), but I don't have any great switch ins. If they don't lead with it, I get Scoliopede's spikes off fast, and then sack Scolio get Lucario in.

If I can Toxic Lugia I'm usually okay, but otherwise this this can phaze my set-up sweepers and roost back to multiscale.

IMPORTABLE
Cranberry (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect

Blackberry (Lucario) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Blueberry (Xerneas) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Aromatherapy

EVs: 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Raspberry (Yveltal) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Sucker Punch

Banana (Arceus) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Conclusion

That's about all :) Thanks to MetalSonic for the team backbone that inspired this one, and Doctor (Sigma) DraX (Squared) for some refinements and teambuilding suggestions.​

Last edited:
Well, as I saw that my previous comment was deleted by not having any kind of content, I will strive. It seems like you have a "phobia" Ho-Oh. Seeing several Pokemon with Rock Slide / Stone Edge. I like that in MLucario, even betting on accuracy rather than power. You'll carefully. Iron Tail is also an option, but fails more than it should. I thought that, using your main strategy, remove MLucario by MGengar. This would make a great core with Yveltal. And do not worry about Ho-Oh, you have to Yveltal own and other users with Stone Edge to stop it. Around what you want to do, I see feasible these set:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp / Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis

It is best suited to the style of play. You can even give Venoshock use, but its usefulness is only for those who are poisoned. Otherwise its power is much lower. Destiny Bond can serve at a time of trouble as the last hole, but it's complicated.

You have a nice team. the idea seems simple Scolipede + 5 offensive Pokemon, but it is not. You has become something solid. I believe that the change will help a lot, especially if you find Lugia. A pleasure and thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your peak, easy. You have to give everything.

Hi, this looks like an interesting team and I would like to give you a rate.

First of all, I think that your team struggles against Stone Edge Ekiller or Stone Edge PDon, therefore I'd use Charti Berry on Yveltal to help it check them better.

I think that the use of Ekiller is pretty subpar here, since it doesn't cover any weakness and is just not needed. I would replace it by a CM Arceus-Rock set, which would help you switch into the threat that Ho-Oh is.
Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp / Refresh
- Recover
- Judgment

I disagree with the part where you say that you can easily deal with Darkrai. I think that having Sleep Talk on Xerneas would be pretty much necessary since you don't have anything that switches into Dark Void. You can add Focus Blast and Thunder/Grass Knot in the last 2 slots but I think that Moonblast+Sleep Talk is the most optimal set on Scarf rn.
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
-
-

Last but not least, seeing as how weak to Ground-type moves your team is, I would replace Lucario-Mega (who is not doing much at all) by Salamence-Mega. It would give you a more reliable wincondition but also an interesting Ground immunity.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Refresh

Hope I helped, have fun with your team, with or without my changes.

Both of these are super rates, thanks a bunch.

Well, as I saw that my previous comment was deleted by not having any kind of content, I will strive. It seems like you have a "phobia" Ho-Oh. Seeing several Pokemon with Rock Slide / Stone Edge. I like that in MLucario, even betting on accuracy rather than power. You'll carefully. Iron Tail is also an option, but fails more than it should. I thought that, using your main strategy, remove MLucario by MGengar. This would make a great core with Yveltal. And do not worry about Ho-Oh, you have to Yveltal own and other users with Stone Edge to stop it. Around what you want to do, I see feasible these set:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp / Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis

It is best suited to the style of play. You can even give Venoshock use, but its usefulness is only for those who are poisoned. Otherwise its power is much lower. Destiny Bond can serve at a time of trouble as the last hole, but it's complicated.

You have a nice team. the idea seems simple Scolipede + 5 offensive Pokemon, but it is not. You has become something solid. I believe that the change will help a lot, especially if you find Lugia. A pleasure and thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your peak, easy. You have to give everything.
Yeah you nailed it, I hate Ho-Oh. I usually have to sack something every time it comes in, so I solve that with an excess of somewhat random rock moves. I think you're probably right that I just need to play around it better. I'll definitely try this out, it changes the Mega's focus a little more towards wallbreaking than sweeping, but you could be right that it better handles the actual walls that give my team trouble, plus it's less redundant coverage. Thanks!

Hi, this looks like an interesting team and I would like to give you a rate.

First of all, I think that your team struggles against Stone Edge Ekiller or Stone Edge PDon, therefore I'd use Charti Berry on Yveltal to help it check them better.
Yeah. Also Rockceus. I'm kind of attached to Rocky Helm because the passive damage breaks sashes, and wears down physical attackers to put them in priority KO range. That having been said, I'm always crossing my fingers that those two mons don't carry Stone Edge, so worth trying.

I think that the use of Ekiller is pretty subpar here, since it doesn't cover any weakness and is just not needed. I would replace it by a CM Arceus-Rock set, which would help you switch into the threat that Ho-Oh is.
Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp / Refresh
- Recover
- Judgment
I'm with you that EKiller might be worth replacing given some redundant coverage with PDon and Lucario, but I'm not sure Rockceus is the solution. As you mention later, this team is a little weak to ground coverage and EKiller can set up on certain PDons, which this can't. Also EKiller isn't really about covering weakness so much as finishing off a team, and redundant coverage can be useful there in terms of weakening mutual checks. You've got me thinking about possible EKiller replacements though (it's a very splashable mon, but no necessarily the best for the team), so I'll look in to that.

I disagree with the part where you say that you can easily deal with Darkrai. I think that having Sleep Talk on Xerneas would be pretty much necessary since you don't have anything that switches into Dark Void. You can add Focus Blast and Thunder/Grass Knot in the last 2 slots but I think that Moonblast+Sleep Talk is the most optimal set on Scarf rn.
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk
-
-
Darkrai in my experience is usually played very early or very late. If it leads vs Scoli it loses, and late in the game I usually just sleep fodder something that has outlived its usefulness. If I really need it back to win, Xerneas can Aromatherapy. Plus it loses to Scarf Xern outright, and EKiller/Lucario given some prior damage. Not having a dedicated switch is theoretically annoying, but in practice I haven't had much trouble with it.

Last but not least, seeing as how weak to Ground-type moves your team is, I would replace Lucario-Mega (who is not doing much at all) by Salamence-Mega. It would give you a more reliable wincondition but also an interesting Ground immunity.
Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Roost
- Refresh

Hope I helped, have fun with your team, with or without my changes.
I toyed with this idea early, but it doesn't fit the team without major changes. Two birds with no hazard control is problematic, plus Mega Mence gets walled by a lot of the same defensive threats as some of my other offensive mons. Very helpful overall, thanks for the rate!

Cynara

Banned deucer.
I don't think Mega Lucario is the best candidate for a Toxic Spikes Offense team and forces a defensive Yveltal team option to deal with specific threats such as Extremekiller Arceus, Defensive Yveltal is a massive momentum suck to the team and most importantly your team doesn't deal with Mega Salamence very well and you're overtaxing yveltal to deal with a lot of threats putting you in a very dangerous position of a Mega Salamence sweep. Ho-oh also looks like a massive pain for this team; you lack a good counter play (Lucario is giving up Iron Tail for rock slide, when it absolutely needs Iron tail)

I am recommending Mega Salamence over Mega Lucario and Shuca Berry Dialga over Yveltal for the changes to the team.

Mega Salamence provides the team with a lot of options, especially with Facade it is able to absorb sacred fire burns from Ho-oh and Do serious damage with status and it also retains the much needed check against ExtremeKiller Arceus while not losing momentum like Defensive Yveltal and still providing a reliable ground immunity against Primal Groudon; Salamence is also a powerful breaker likes of that of Lucario aswell with a dragon dance setup.

As I have mentioned Mega Salamence is also a threat to the team so I am suggesting we now replace defensive Yveltal with a Shuca berry Dialga, since we no longer need Yveltal to check aforementioned threats, it becomes a redundancy and the team would much appreciate a solid check to Mega Salamence, Dialga is also able to run stealth rock and is a much more consistent Stealth Rocker and is able to pressure all the common defoggers such as Giratina-o and Support Arceus's such as Water and Dragon Arceus, while being able to beat both Magic Bouncers to get stealth rock up. running stealth rock on Dialga also frees Groudon of it's Stealth Rock duties allowing us to run a more offensive Groudon set such as Rock Polish to help against offense and paired with Swords Dance to help break down bulkier teams as well.

Further changes you could make to the team is Earthquake over Protect on scolipede, Earthquake enables Scolipede to hit Excadrill leads and successfully getting toxic Spikes down versus Excadrill offense teams; Earthquake also gives a way of breaking Shuca berry on opposing Dialga, Hitting Gengar for super effective damage, since the meta has shifted to Mega Gengar being very dominant in the metagame right now and keeping Toxic Spikes Vs Gengar can provide troublesome. Arceus can also drop Stone Edge Coverage for Shadow Claw again to deal with Ghostceus better now that we have Dialga for Mega Salamence. Finally I would drop any coverage on the Scarf Xerneas and just run Sleep Talk Moonblast, so you can reliably deal with Darkrai and Dark Void, making Xerneas a proficient sleep absorber, something your team could do with.

Dialga @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder / Toxic

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 216 HP / 156 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Roost

EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

Good Luck with your team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)