Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 11 - curi

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

curi
Favorite Pokemon: Infernape
Most used Pokemon: Gurdurr
Most known for: Playing OU, PU Room Driver, Workshop Builder
TJ: Hey curi, how are you doing today?
curi: I'm feeling pretty good actually, thanks.

TJ: Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon?
curi: I'm a 17-year old guy from Sydney, Australia and I'm actually in the process of moving to Osaka, Japan to study and teach English for a bit. I'm a huge fan of football / soccer / whatever tf you call it and I've been playing for about 11 years now, although admittedly we've been doing really badly this season so I've lost a lot of motivation to train but it's still something I really enjoy. Aside from that, I'm really into scuba diving and snorkelling, which is something I've also been doing for a long time now, but I've also been trying out a few new things like rock climbing and even ice skating which i've picked up through school friends.

TJ: How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon? What drew you to PU?
curi: So I've played mons casually for as long as I can remember, but I started playing mons competitive around late 2017 once I had become really burnt out of tf2 and I was looking for a new game to play and I managed to stumble upon PS and I just started playing OU for a bit. Eventually I met yogi through a few friends and he managed to convince me to play PU. I eventually met tondas later and liked talking about with him so eventually I just decided to stick around.

TJ: Out of curiosity :^), where did you get your username from?
curi: Ok you can fuck off. Ok but for real I was just looking for a new name to use and eventually I found that 'curiosity' was free on the forums and so I just went with it. A few months later I met TPP, So Noisy and Qplaz and they started calling me 'curi' and I just rolled with it.

TJ: What's the best team in PUPL right now and why?
curi: Alright I'm not even going to pretend like I've been keeping up with the tour but I've been playing around with both tondas and Chloe and obviously I'm rooting for them because they're my friends but aside from that, I honestly think that EviGaro's missies has the best lineups right now. SM has a huge lineup of fantastic players between Shaneghoul, yogi, LordST, obii, Gondra, Eternally, etc. with fantastic building support from yogi and LordST, while it also has a great set of old gen players. While week 1 didn't work out for them, I have no doubt that they'll be able to dominate in the upcoming weeks and are my favourites to win PUPL this year.

TJ: Are you excited for Slam?
curi: Seeing PU in slam is definitely exciting, especially since that'll mean drawing in a much larger playerbase, so it'll be interesting to see where the tier goes from there

TJ:
What advice would you give to new players starting out in PU?
curi: PU is relatively easy to get into, seeing how all the resources a newer player will need are dumped into the one thread, so definitely go ahead and read through that if you're looking out for anything. The PU room and discords are pretty open to newer players and are very welcoming to newer players, so you should definitely check out those places.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
curi: Honestly I don't think I can really comment on this but I can definitely tell you that PTF is a sleeper threat and that KellyKafka deserves some recognition.

TJ: Who are some of your favorite people on Smogon / in the PU community?
curi: I've made a few really good friends here, so it'll be basically impossible to tag them all, but my absolutely favourite people on this site include TPP, So Noisy and laser火circus for being fucking hilarious to play both mons and pubg with as well as tondas and Qplaz for being great people. Would be bad if I didn't tag Specs Chloe and PTF for also being great people as well as User: TJ for being cool. Special shoutouts to lyd for being the most memeable person on this site.
TJ: Its bad tagging Specs cuz he sucks

TJ: Cutest PU user?
curi: I'm obliged to say Chloe.

TJ: Favorite TV Show/ Movie?
curi: In all honesty I haven't found the time to be watching tv lately, but some of my older favourites include House of Cards, Clarkson-Era Top Gear, Atlanta and other political dramas like Designated Survivor and Bodyguard. In terms of films, I'm really into Tarantino films, specifically Pulp Fiction and Django: Unchained, as well as stuff like Grave of the Fireflies, Gran Torino, and Apocalypse Now, but honestly I really don't mind watching anything as long as it's not pointless bullshit but even then I loved revenge of the sith so :shrug:

TJ: Finally, could you give us a cool team and briefly explain it?
curi:

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 136 Def / 252 SpA / 60 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 200 Def / 36 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 28 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Acid Spray
- Giga Drain

Froslass @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

While this is generally a really standard offensive build, I'm an absolute sucker for building with offence since I believe that it rewards both smart and aggressive play more than any other playstyle, particularly PU. I've always had a thing for teams that can consistently keep up the momentum and I think this team is a good example of that style of build; between mesprit / gurdurr / eelektross and froslass , it really shouldn't be hard to ever regain or keep up the momentum and provide the team's win-conditions with many opportunities just to get that win. Honestly I don't think there's much to talk about here since it's so standard but I will say that there's a lot you can do with mesprit / gurdurr / eel / speed control that most people haven't really looked at yet.

TJ: Thanks for your time, curi! As always, if you guys have your own questions, feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

appreciate the special shoutout, now some questions

1) which tier are you more involved with nowadays? ou or pu?
2) what kind of music do you usually listen to?
3) when will you start watching surf contests?
4) who do you fucking hate in smogon (other than me)?

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hi curi big fan

6s or Highlander? div?
Omastar or Carracosta?
Most wanted drop / Least wanted rise?
Offensive or Defensive Cryogonal?
What are you most looking forward to in Japan?
cutest user with a 7 in their name? :3

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
Curiosity you beast. I have a few questions that I'm burning to have answered.

First ones first, how do you like your Vegemite spread on toast? With cream cheese or margarine?

When are we going to go for a Vegemite and coffee outing?

Why are you such a bloody awesome user?

How's HSC treating you?

Name your three most listened to artists rn.

Which team do you think is gonna win this season in the NRL? Who do you normally support?

Best set-up mon rn? Best glue mon? Best scarfer? Favourite mon to build with?

I fucking love you mate. Legit one of my favourite users I have ever come across.

omg it’s curiosity, could i get an autograph?

Pineapple on pizza y/n?

What mon in PUBL do you feel is the least broken/most deserving of a retest?

how do you feel about Mega Obama possibly dropping and mes possibly rising next month?

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Hi fan, big curi!

1. Which is your fav Bowie album and why is it Low?
2. Which is, in your opinion, a solid underrated mon in PU that deserves more recognition?
3. Whats something youre particularly interested in in regards to going to Japan? (Cultural aspect, place, whatever)

Ive always appreciated your presence in the room, keep doing you and gl with whats ahead of you :)

Last edited:
TJ: Its bad tagging Specs cuz he sucks
:blobglare:

appreciate the special shoutout, now some questions

1) which tier are you more involved with nowadays? ou or pu?
I'm definitely a lot more involved with OU just because I'm more into it than I am PU. Like don't get me wrong I absolutely enjoy playing this tier and being a part of the community but i'm considerably more invested into the tier and because of that, I'm a lot more knowledgable and enjoy playing the tier more.

2) what kind of music do you usually listen to?
Name your three most listened to artists rn.
I listen to a fair amount of music but here's a playlist of my favourite artists if you're interested. Obviously you should know that I'm really into Bowie, but i've also been digging artists like Stevie, Kendrick and Tyler lately so there's that. I'm not really too bothered to talk about this because I don't really have a reason for liking it or whatever so just listen to it.

3) when will you start watching surf contests?
Maybe if you asked me around 4 or 5 years ago I would've said yes, but unfortunately my passion for surfing kinda died, although I do like randomly surfing on kayaks so maybe if those become a thing....

hi curi big fan hi there lol

6s or Highlander? div?
So as a Medic main, I used to play a decent amount of both formats, but personally, I much prefer highlander just because I feel like it's the real tf2 experience, since you have all 9 classes involved. The dynamics of highlander are personally a lot more enjoyable for me since there's a lot more to work with and plus being able to play random heavy is always fun.

Omastar or Carracosta?
Honestly I'm a lot more into Carracosta since imo it's a lot more rewarding to use with less consequence right now; because costa is considerably bulkier, you have the opportunity to set up more consistently vs offence while also having that improved matchup versus said playstyle. Like considering the fact that a lot of generic offences will rely on stuff like lanturn / gurdurr / guzzlord or sometimes jelli as their sole water / rock resists and so you're easily able to crush those builds since they're not really great checks (or checks at all for that matter) and are just able to go.

Most wanted drop / Least wanted rise?
Honestly I would really like to see stuff like Pilo / Ferro / Steelvally / Hitmontop / Miltank and Torterra back into the tier since they would be a really interesting addition to the tier; Additional Guzzlord counterplay is always great, so are more rockers and just steels in general so I'd definitely like to see them drop. Oh and if NU takes Mesprit i'm never playing this tier again.

What are you most looking forward to in Japan?
Definitely the food, but not just eating it. I've always wanted to cook a lot more and this should be a really great experience to expand my cooking resume and i'm really looking forward to see where it takes me.

cutest user with a 7 in their name? :3
Probably Decem7

curiosity you beast. I have a few questions that I'm burning to have answered.
Why are you such a bloody awesome user?
I fucking love you mate. Legit one of my favourite users I have ever come across.
ay ptf it's been too long brother how are you

First ones first, how do you like your Vegemite spread on toast? With cream cheese or margarine?
Vegemite is like the worst spread on this planet but if I did have to chose it would be cream cheese because the general sweetness would counteract the horrid taste of Vegemite.

When are we going to go for a Vegemite and coffee outing?
Maybe when I come back, which should be around this time next year or something similar. But i'm telling you now I'm not eating Vegemite lol

Which team do you think is gonna win this season in the NRL? Who do you normally support?
Roosters all the way but I'm also a disloyal supporter so I don't really care lmfao. I've never really cared for the NRL outside of trying to make smalltalk with people so uh yeah

Best set-up mon rn? Best glue mon? Best scarfer? Favourite mon to build with?
I'm honestly not really into set-up mons in this tier but if I were to choose it would probably be dibsbird because it's just so good at dismantling those bulkier builds while somehow retaining a good matchup versus offence, which is absolutely fantastic. In terms of glue, I honestly can't decide between Gurdurr and Mesprit so I'm just going to say both simply because the combination of those two mons (normally with an av eel or lanturn in the back) just generally blanket checks the entire meta pretty solidly whilst also keeping up the momentum pretty easily, so i'd say it's that. Now when it comes to scarfers, I definitely think that Dodrio is the undisputed best scarfer in the tier right now, since you're basically able to revenge everything because of its speed tier and being able to trap a lot of annoying threats to offence like froslass and even like simisear is really great in general. As for favourite mons to build with, I'll be honest when I say that I genuinely do not have one at the moment, but it's probably something like Lycanroc or Simisear since I love those mons to death.

omg it’s curiosity, could i get an autograph?

Pineapple on pizza y/n?
no.

What mon in PUBL do you feel is the least broken/most deserving of a retest?
I'll be honest when I say that I don't think that there are any PUBL mons that deserve a retest or are inherently less broken than one another, since none of them actually look like they have solid counterplay right now, but if I were to choose one right now I would say Pyroar simply because I had the most fun in that meta and I had made the most memories during that era.

how do you feel about Mega Obama possibly dropping and mes possibly rising next month?
Honestly I really couldn't care less because it's not happening in the present and it's more than likely going to get banned regardless because nothing really switches into it and it's bulky enough to the point where revenging it can be considered difficult, even with a horrible defensive typing, but it's honestly too early to make a fair judgement.

yo quick question bud

What killed the cat?
Did curiosity kill the cat?

Edit: Jmash sniped but act like this is original. :blobuwu:
4) who do you fucking hate in smogon (other than me)?
These two idiots. Don't ever talk to me again Jmash324 ShuckleDeath

Hi fan, big curi! hey hey

1. Which is your fav Bowie album and why is it Low?
My favourite Bowie album definitely has to be Station to Station; basically this album is just filled with fantastic tracks and tells a really compelling story about a dude struggling in life trying to get over a drug addiction and an ex-lover. Highlights of the album is Station to Station, which is considerably long but it's very compelling and is technically a spectale. Stay's my personal favourite since it's generally very catchy and has a fantastic guitar riff that lasts throughout the entire track and is generally just fucking awesome. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars is also pretty good and similarly tells a compelling story and has a lot of great tracks as a whole and a personal favourite is Moonage Daydream which is also really amazing.

2. Which is, in your opinion, a solid underrated mon in PU that deserves more recognition?
Honestly I think Metang is really underrated as a generally fantastic blanket check to a considerable amount of mons right now; being able to not only check Kangashkan / Stoutland and Aurorus is fantastic because now you've compressed like two or three teamslots into the one whilst also getting rocks up reliably while also not being passive like Mawile. Only issue with it is that you're unable to really do anything to Gurdurr but just have another check to that and you should be pretty good.

Thanks for the questions everyone! Sorry for the wait, but you can probably tell that life is a little busy right now. If you've got anymore please feel free to ask me, but I wouldn't rely on them being answered asap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)