Project Player Of The Week Revived: Week 10 - tondas

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

tondas
Favorite Pokemon: Munchlax
Most used Pokemon: Skuntank
Most known for: PU Room Driver + QC Member
TJ: Hey tondas, how are you doing today?
tondas: Sup nerd, I'm doing pretty alright today, thanks. A little bit of pressure from PUPL but besides that it's a pretty average Sunday for me.

TJ: Can you tell us a little about yourself outside of Smogon?
tondas: I'm an 18-year old high school senior living in North Virginia and preparing for my future. I've worked at a community center for about a year and right now I'm thinking about college and any possible majors.

TJ: How and when did you get into competitive Pokemon? What drew you to PU?
tondas: I first got into Pokemon at age 10 when my parents got me Pokemon Black on Christmas and I instantly fell in love with it + its sequel. However, I took a hiatus from Pokemon until around 2017 when a friend at school told me about showdown and how you could build and use teams which blew my mind. As for PU, a lot of Youtube representation from people like Pokeaim and Pyrotoz drew me in and immediately I was captivated by the thought of viably using crap Pokemon. I also assumed it was just a meme tier and felt safe as a tier I could quickly pick up and play.

TJ: Where did you get your username from?
tondas: My username derives from the catchphrase "Tonda Gossa!" which comes from Mother 3 which happens to be one of my favorite games of all time. People never referred to me as the whole thing though so I shortened it and added an s because idk it sounded cool.

TJ: How does it feel being the newest PU driver?
tondas: Being a driver is very exciting; being able to staff my favorite tier while getting greeted whenever I hop online feels great. I also enjoy starting tournaments with special rules or just hanging out with other auth.

TJ: What advice would you give to new players starting out in PU?
tondas: Ask questions! Don't be afraid to ask about certain mechanics or ask for team advice or even send battle challenges provided that person gives you the ok. One of the things I rarely did was ask for advice which made the learning process so much slower for me.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
tondas: Jmash324, curi, and gum have genuinely impressed me as PU players that have presented themselves as competent teambuilders and also fun people to be around.

TJ: Who are some of your favorite people on Smogon?
tondas: Way too many to count good lord. My shoutouts go to most of the PU community but also people in other tiers and in the Crew, namely Jordy, zizalith, So Noisy, Mellow, TPP, martha, Averardo, Rabia, curi (get tagged again bwahahaha), among others.

TJ: If you could make one change to Smogon, what would it be and why?
tondas: I'm pretty content with Smogon as-is but one thing I would change is making new users feel more welcome. There's a lot for a new user to unpack upon joining smogon which can be very intimidating without any guidance.

TJ: Favorite TV Show/ Movie?
tondas: My favorite TV show is definitely Breaking Bad; I loved the character development and themes of the show, and I'm a sucker for all the humor and foreshadowing that's thrown in there for good measure.

TJ: Finally, could you give us a cool team and briefly explain it?
tondas:

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Aurorus @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Freeze-Dry

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 56 SpA / 252 SpD / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Beartic @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Though ice spam with Sableye was originally one of my own concepts, this version of the team was actually made by HJAD alongside some personal tweakings. This is definitely a ladder team as it folds to any well-played fighting-type that can muscle past sableye (especially with toxic gurdurr becoming a thing) among many other problems. However, this is a pretty straightforward type spam team that I haven't changed since January and I notably got Alolan Exeggutor reqs with it in only a couple hours of the suspect dropping. I also passed it around to other suspect-goers to great success which made it a bit of a legacy.

TJ: Thanks for your time, tondas! As always, if you guys have your own questions, feel free to ask them below!:blobthumbsup:

tondas more like goat

Pineapple on pizza n/n?

If you were to be left stranded on an island and you could only choose 3 things to bring with you, what would they be?

How does it feel being able to warn shitposters/flooders?

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Glad u came back bro :]

1. What kind of music do you listen to? Favourite artists/bands?

2. What do you want out of gen 8 competitively?

3. Dream job?

4. What's one unpopular opinion you have, could be related to mons or not

Katy

Banned deucer.
1. Did you watch the Pokémon Movies and if yes, which one was your absolute favorite?
2. Most underrated Pu-pokémon in your opinion right now?
3. How did Munchlax became your favorite mon?

tondas

YOU DONT WANT NO PROBLEMS YOU JUST TALKING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
"Cool team"
Hilarious

So what majors are you shooting for?
hello fellow ice spammer,

I'm currently looking towards graphic design in a more technology-based field; it's something that's always interested me and I've been doing art on and off so it just seems like a viable career option.

tondas more like goat

Pineapple on pizza n/n?

If you were to be left stranded on an island and you could only choose 3 things to bring with you, what would they be?

How does it feel being able to warn shitposters/flooders?
a. I'm into weird shit but fruit on pizza is not one of them

b. a plane and a source of fuel and food, 3 options gives me a good shot of escaping

c. warning/muting people isn't exactly something I want to do but being able to prevent spam or flooding is pretty nice I'd say yeah.

Glad u came back bro :]

1. What kind of music do you listen to? Favourite artists/bands?

2. What do you want out of gen 8 competitively?

3. Dream job?

4. What's one unpopular opinion you have, could be related to mons or not
never left you specs <3

a. I listen to a lot of experimental/alt rock and lo-fi — they're pretty chill and simple which makes them appealing to me. Gorillaz, David Bowie and Nujabes are all pretty fire

b. delete z moves theyre fucking stupid

c. no clear dream job yet but for now I'd like to work at a game studio and design stuff. releasing my creative energy for a large audience would be sweet, especially if it's for a passion project

d. hitmonchan is an acceptable choice.

1. Did you watch the Pokémon Movies and if yes, which one was your absolute favorite?
2. Most underrated Pu-pokémon in your opinion right now?
3. How did Munchlax became your favorite mon?
a. haven't seen any so no opinion. apparently they range from good to shit so maybe they're worth a shot
b. I've been loving combusken for the good part of three months; it requires significant team support but under the right conditions it can threaten basically any team that lacks something like quagsire or defensive jellicent. swords dance in particular can capitalize on passive pokemon or forced switches and can blow through things like mudsdale and even offensive jellicent at +2 with firium z. it's fallen off with lilligant's ban in my opinion as people are generally more comfortable running defensive water-types but it still has its moments. I've been liking skuntank even more as of recently because it offers so much utility for teams and its move and item slots are pretty customizable. mixed defog with flamethrower was something i didnt do justice to my last pupl game but it catches pokemon like snowslash and mawile and lets teammates like aurorus and choice dodrio go off. choice band and standard defog sets are always great and maybe other sets are worth experimenting with
c. munchlax was my mvp a few platinum playthroughs ago when I got it from a honey tree after like two tries and I also happened to use it a fair bit in early iterations of sm pu. jumpluff is a cool dude and primarina is a cutie but I lack the same experiences with them as I do with munchlax which only makes them close contenders

Would You be scared to touch a Moose?
unless they want me dead I'd say no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)