Player of the Week 44: Cheek Pouch

GOAO

Banned deucer.

Favorite Pokemon: Staraptor
Most used Pokemon: Magnemite
Most known for: A lot of name changes​

Tell us a little about yourself.
I am a 17 y/o guy that lives in Tennessee. I'm about to start senior year in HS so that's pretty awesome. I like to hike, fish, hunt, play ultimate, and play mons of course! For el cash, I work on a farm during the summers, but outside of that I work at Firehouse Subs. I also sing a lot, and I sing around some local spots in my general area. My goal is to become a speech pathologist or an audiologist, sound has always interested me haha.

How and when did you get your start in LC?
I started playing LC around the end of BW and the beginning of BW2, kinda just ghosted the chat bc I was super duper intimidated by everyone being so fucking good lmao. Eventually, I started to get into LC more and more, and I found some pretty awesome tutors in HeDancesWithSwords, Levi, and absdaddy who helped me a lot in improving in general and getting the ropes of the forums, as well as the social side of the community.

What is your favorite aspect of LC?
My favorite aspect of LC is probably that there is so little that is truly unviable. While a lot of things are outclassed by others, I think that most Pokemon can crave a niche and be usable if you want them to be, which really makes teambuilding a lot of fun. Unlike other tiers, I feel like LC (at least ORAS in the moment) is pretty balanced in the sense that there aren't enough high-powered Pokemon in the tier that make certain Pokemon mandatory, and that since there are multiple checks to just about any given Pokemon, a lot of customization can be done with teams and sets.

Is there any mon, playstyle, etc that you feel is underrated in LC?
I really find Kabuto and Carvanha underrated in LC at the moment. Kabuto has amazing bulk, decent Speed, and access to Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin. It's also an amazing check to birds, namely Fletchling, and it just fills a solid amount of spots on any given team. Carvanha is just so stupidly powerful, I don't really understand why more teams don't use it. Definitely not underrated, but just underplayed I feel.

Anything you find overrated?
I think that Chinchou is overrated. The Berry Juice set is just so easy to whittle down, and while I do like the Scarf set, I just don't feel like it deserves as much praise as it should. Its saving grace now is probably being a Drifloon check, but other than that I'm not really a big fan of it (although by no means do I think it is bad)

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
I'm good friends with all the people I talk to on Skype, but people that I'm really good friends with would probably be JacHeysupBerksQuoteMambo coconut absdaddy Levi Star.

As far as users I look up to, Heysup and ZoroarkForever both are talented, levelheaded users that are easy to get along with and just cool people in general.

Outside of LC, shoutouts to AdvantageryanShaneghoulSkittyCrestfall for just being cool people overall Stathakis for being a cool dude in POWC and blunder for the enjoyable time RUPL was and your content in general.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Hazards offense by far. It's very easy to build and use and I feel like it's just not prepared for that much. Dwebble is typically my go-to setter, and just spamming powerful offensive mons that can take advantage of the hazards is both a solid build for laddering and for tournaments.

What are your thoughts on Drifloon in the current metagame? Do you think the metagame would be healthier without it? Why?
I do think that Drifloon is a very solid Pokemon in the current metagame and at the very least warrants a suspect. I don't know if the metagame would be any healthier without it, since I feel like Drifloon isn't a mon you see on literally every team, as teams can still be incredibly effective without using it. Its ability to stall out a lot of Pokemon should be noted, however, and I wouldn't be shocked to see it get banned from the tier.

Do you think ladder will ever be good again?
Honestly probably not, idk what anyone can do to fix it tbh but that's just the way it is.

How did you choose your nick and why do you stick around with it?
I bounced around a bunch of usernames, namely Kid Shiftry, Darmanican't, Nicholas Wolfwood, Kiba Roserade, and the one I currently have. I chose CP just bc I liked the ability, I thought Dedenne was cool, and I kinda just got bored of the others. I've stuck with this name mostly bc I've done the most work I've contributed to the site on this name, so it's best not to change it.

In all the tours you played, what was your favorite?
Probably a 3-way tie between Children of the Corn II, 2 LCPLs ago, and the LC Ladder Tour for the circuit. CotC2 was the first tour I ever did well in as far as LC goes and I think it was the one that got my name noticed, 2 LCPLs ago bc being on Ray Jay's scrub team was freaking awesome, and the LC Ladder Tour bc I managed to do well in it and I just feel like it was a solid performance by everyone that made the top 16 cut.

Any predicts for Sun/Moon? Do you like the game so far?
God I hope Litten is good. All the designs for starters are cool, the legendaries looks cool, and Rotom-Pokedex looking clean as hell. I'm very excited for the release of Sun/Moon

Is there any advice that you'd like to pass on to new LCers?
Stick with it. While the community can be a little hectic sometimes, the staff/auth/reputable users of LC are genuinely looking out for your best interest. Don't be afraid to ask for anyone's help, and ghost on the forums before actually posting so people don't think you're crazy haha.

Lastly, do you have a team you'd like to share with us?
this one
annnd this one
Taillow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Facade
- Brave Bird

Stunky @ Eviolite
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 36 HP / 40 SpA / 108 SpD / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Staryu @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SpA / 68 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Energy Ball
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)