Player of the Week 31: Star.

GOAO

Banned deucer.

Favorite Pokemon: Skrelp
Most Used Pokemon: Mienfoo
Most Known For: 4-1 in POCL, 5-0 in SPLC.

Tell us a little about yourself.

I'm a junior in high school in New Jersey. School wise I've always been really interested in math and science and am way ahead of the advanced track in both so I guess I'm a school nerd. Other stuff I do is play alto saxophone, tennis and general follow a lot of sports.

How and when did you get your start in LC? Do you remember your first team?

I first started fairly late in the BW era. I used this absolutely terrible sand build with like hippo drilbur sash cranidos eviolite onix lo energy ball tbolt gastly and can't remember the last for sure but I think it was Mienfoo.

What is your favorite aspect of LC?

Honestly the current metagame is super diverse and I really appreciate that. There's so many mons that are viable and it just makes playing the game really interesting.

Is there any mon, playstyle, etc that you feel is underrated in LC?

I think a pretty underrated mon in LC right now is elekid. It actually has really awesome coverage/speed and chinchou is getting less popular thanks to the ubiquitous diglett. It's only real counters are the super bulky grounds like hippo cuz it can break past its usual checks like Chou and drilbur with a few hits.

Anything you find overrated?

I think an overrated mon right now is tirtouga. Peoples are naturally running many checks to to it on teams with scarf foo scarf chou, fighting type priority and just generally bulky mons that really stop it from being effective.

If you could change something about the current metagame, what would you change?

Honestly I wouldn't change anything because I really like the current metagame. It might be worth a look at what the meta would be like without trappers because it would make a lot more cool mons more viable but I don't think trapping is broken necessarily. Also it would make SKRELP jesus.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?

Definitely have to give a shoutout to Levi here. Despite the shit we give each other we're p good friends and he helps me out quite a bit. As far as people I really look up to I'd say probably Heysup. He's been around forever, still as good as ever and is a pretty cool guy to talk to. Shout outs all of lfc and some other friends like cheek/Rowan/tazz

Whats your favorite tournament, Official or Unofficial, that you’ve participated in?

I really enjoy team environments so probably SPL so far followed by SPLC/LCPL

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

My favorite playstyle is probably bulky offense but I'm really open to using anything. I like bulky offense because it's nice to have a defensive backbone with a strong offensive presence. It's by far the best teamstyle in ORAS LC imo.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?

It definitely depends on the tournament. I don't really give a shit about individual tours and will usually spam the same teams unless I have some actual motivation. I definitely try pretty hard in team tours cuz I don't like letting my team down. I'll scout my opponent and their playstyles and try to work my game plan around that but I'm meet going to fully cteam somebody. I usually build a few teams, test them a lot and decide which one I like best a few days in advance of the match.

Is there any advice that you'd like to pass on to new LCers?

Ask for help. Seriously there's so many good lcers in the community right now and most of them are pretty chill guys. Learn the tier and understand how it works and then really just play a lot. Practice makes you better and even the ladder gives you a better understanding of the metagame.

Lastly, do you have a team you'd like to share with us?
Here's my week 1 spl team which I think is pretty cool.

Vinc (Magnemite) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
Level: 5
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Sweepage (Diglett) @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Teddeh (Skrelp) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 116 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Hydro Pump

teal6 (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 224 SpA / 40 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Encore

Alexander (Archen) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Valentine (Torchic) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 36 Def / 200 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Protect
- Baton Pass

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
What are your thoughts on Donald Trump, and why will you be voting for him in the upcoming election?

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
im pretty sure star is most known for being my kicking bitch
you suck

What are your thoughts on Donald Trump, and why will you be voting for him in the upcoming election?
He's beyond stupid

^ zzzzz.

How does it feel to know that there is a 2-0 correlation with being POTW and losing your spl match the same week?
I'm winning dw.

e: suck it!

BLESSED I GOT A S/O

if you could unban a mon, would you and which one
I don't want to unban anything but missy is the only one that wouldn't completely destroy the meta

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What would you say is the most overrated pokemon?

How do you deal with the pressure of SPL?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
What would you say is the worst playstyle at the moment, that used to be at least semi-viable? (aka don't say something like full wincon-less stall or manual sun)

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
If you could ban a mon, which one would u choose?
Diglett just so I can see what the meta would be like.

What would you say is the most overrated pokemon?

How do you deal with the pressure of SPL?
I answered this as tirt in the potw.
Honestly I don't think it's that much pressure. I just prepare and play normally.

What would you say is the worst playstyle at the moment, that used to be at least semi-viable? (aka don't say something like full wincon-less stall or manual sun)
Hard question cuz so much is viable. I don't like HO much in this meta.

What is your favorite LC meta and why is it BW2?
No

Sken

feet of clay
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
do you feel any regrets when you see quotes from your old tutee like the one in my signature?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)