Project Player Interview V3.2 #10: Lyss

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Approved by UU Moderation / Amazing Art by Moutemoute

Hello and welcome to.. "Player Interview"! This project will allow you to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level, their achievements on the strategic scene, or thanks to their dedication to the tier or within the community. Let me first say that I am honored to be following in the footsteps of an esteemed and accomplished list of interviewers: Moutemoute, Feliburn, Kink, and Cynde (also Pokemonisfun and Aqua Jet). Thank you are very much for your work!

Hello again! I am temporarily taking the reins from Aqua Jet as they step away for a little while. I would like to apologize for dropping this project; life got the better of me and I had to step away from Pokemon. I am part of the reason why this project has gone through 3 versions and interviews have been held by 5 separate people. That being said, I am back and the show must go on! With UUPL in full swing it's the best time for this project to be active because it truly is fun to interview UU's best and brightest battlers, contributors, and personalities.

Hello Lyss! How are you?

Hey! I'm oki, a bit sick but it's getting better, how about you?

I'm pretty good, thanks for asking! Just pretty tired.

So, tell me and the community a bit about yourself via a brief introduction. Name, age, favorite color, how true you think Meru actually is, whatever you would like to say!

My name is Reina, i'm 21yo, i live in italy iceland and i study languages, with a focus on japanese for now. My favorite colour would be lilac probably, which is ironically my discord name too, although i chose that name for a different reason. So True Meru for sure, but ever since his nitro expired and he can't spam that ok sis emoji he defo got nerfed a bit.

Iceland is a gorgeous country but I've heard its expensive to visit which is unfortunate. I've been to Japan. Absolutely love the culture and food! So true Meru indeed.

How long have you been a member of this community and what brought you to Smogon and Showdown?

I've first started playing competitive mons in 2013. I found out about it with random youtube videos and i really wanted to try it out, but i was way too lazy to start making my mons in-game so i was looking for an alternative. When i was randomly browsing the store on my phone i found out the PO app and started playing there. I didn't speak english at the time so i just hang around italian communities and forums. I wasn't really interested in tournaments, i was mostly looking for people to casually play with and was laddering from time to time. In 2014 I logged on Showdown for the first time and made my smogon account to try out the xy ou smogon tours since some friends were talking about them, i had some fun but i still enjoyed being a casual more. From late 2014 to 2016 i joined tours at random pmuch, i remember playing some opens during oras (uu and ru i'm sure about) and some classic cups (i used to enjoy dpp and bw ou a lot), but i was still not rly active on smogon and in the community.

I tried out the SM UU alpha in late 2016, i was rly liking it and decided that i wanted to play that during SM. In early 2017 i started playing uu tours and got to know people like Killintime and Ark, although talking with them was still not easy for me cause my english wasn't great. I played pmuch every UU tour from may 2017 to july 2018 (with the 2018 UUPL being my first one), but decided to take a break from mons after uu open cause i felt burned out.

Came back in June 2020 after talking with some friends (looking at you Juno) and was active ever since!

Thats an awesome story!

Currently you are starting in UUPL as one of the stronger SWSH starters, but you also carried our UUFPL last team last year and are proficient in ORAS. Can you talk a little about about your tournament experience and success?

Well, I don't think i've had much success so far. I've yet to debut in an official tournament and only had success in smaller tournaments like UUWC, UUFPL, RUSD and similar. I don't really have an individual (or finals of one at least) to show off either, I've hit playoffs of a couple of indivs before and had a nice run in UU open a couple of years ago but outside of those I think I still need to get a big accomplishment I can be proud of, in a teamtour or an indiv.

If there is something that i gathered from all of these tours I played into is definitely some experience though, and I think it's very important. I've always had (and still have) anxiety going to and through games, and I think i'm getting more comfy and finally being able to perform when it matters. For example in RUSD I had to play the tiebreak during finals and it was my first time experiencing that, and although i got smashed by a good friend, I definitely took it as a lesson and i'm sure that i'll do better the next time i'll be in that exact situation. Something else I learned a lot about is how to prep in the right way, considering I have a past of sabotaging myself with some choices in the builder, I think that was an important step, although I still need to learn to be self-sufficient since I don't really find myself comfy loading my own stuff in tours lmao.

So yeah, for now I can't really say I've had much success but I feel like I'm making a lot of progress in the right direction, so I'll keep trying my best to get something I can be proud of and hopefully to play in SCL later this year, since it's an experience I'd love to have.

Going far in individual tours is hard even for really skilled players. You definitely have the stuff to do so!

What's the story behind the names Lyss and Mionda?

I get questions about my nicknames a lot since i go by many different ones and outside of close friends people don't really know my name. The answer is that i like to change nickname every now and then, never really like to stick with the same ones for too long although i've been doing it recently on all platforms.

The stories behind them aren't anything exceptional. In 2017 I used to play some MMORPG games and needed multiple names for multiple characters. At the time i had just played Danganronpa and one of my favourite characters from series is Ibuki Mioda, and when i was brainstorming for name ideas it came back to my mind and I went like "hey, what if i added a n to it?" and that's how Mionda was born, eventually i started associating it with sea waves since that's what "onda" means in Italian, and the nickname on PS being blue was just perfect for it. Later on I got close with umbry which used "Tuononda" as PS name at the time, and people associated our names since they sounded really similar and thought it was some kind of matching while it was just a casuality. Her name meant Thunder Wave in Italian and a lot of people knew about it/learned about it, so I got asked often if it was some other Italian move, but the answer is no.

As for Lyss that's a bit more complicated. I love writing and it's an hobby I practice from time to time although I don't think i'm any good at it. I usually just try to come up with fantasy stories and make characters from 0. In a story I was trying to write in 2019 there was a girl named Lyssereth and it was probably the most interesting design i had came up with at the time (and she still is probably), eventually I changed her lore and development a lot and her name also changed and went from Lyssereth to Lyss to Lyssa, but I loved her character and the name I gave to her. Although I'm not all too similar to her, I decided to make it my smogon nickname at the time because I really liked that name and felt that mood a lot, and since part of me gave up ever publishing something (or at least for the near future) I didn't feel like i was ruining her name or anything, especially since I was using an older version of it. I kinda wish i made it Lyssa but recently it probably would've made a lot more confusion due to reasons lmao, so I don't mind it.

The only other one i frequently use in the mons community is Lilac, which is one of my favourite japanese songs, and even tho sometimes i've been feeling like changing it, someone screamed at me to stop the last time i did it so i just kept Lilac LMAO. Last thing i'm gonna add is that part of me got tired of Mionda being my ps alt, but between being too shy to ask for the Lyss name and people liking Mionda a lot, I kinda sticked to it.

That's cool. I like all of them. Purple is my favorite color, I don't really have a favorite shade though.

Why do you have it out against Zydog? What did it do to you?

WELL I've been meaning to write down something in a proper way about Zydog for a while now so I suppose this is the perfect occasion.

I just believe that the mon is broken to put it simple. It affects teambuilding in an extreme way, Amoonguss would be a top tier mon in this meta and an amazing tool for Aegislash, but sometimes it's simply unusable because of that mon alone. Zydog has extremely limited counterplay, with the only reliable answer being Tapu bulu, since both mandibuzz and tangrowth just die to Outrage with minimal chip, which is not hard to achieve consdering the nature of those mons (The first wanting to slowturn on a bunch of threats to bring in a breaker, and the second being a sponge; Synthesis tang does an ok job at handling zydog but non-av tang would be worse than av in 95% of the scenarios if that mon alone got kicked, and synthesis is not the move you'd want to first slot in there). Offensively checking it is not a thing in most situations, since it's base speed being 115 makes it one of the fastest mons in the metagame and it pairs really well with Mandibuzz, Slowking, Chansey and other mons that grab momentum very easily. Zydog alone makes teambuilding a nightmare for me, the options to cover it are very limited and when you don't go for one of them, you often find yourself running items that you would love to avoid such as Shuca for Cobalion or Button for Amoonguss, that while are still relevant for a couple of other things (Shuca for Mamoswine and button is usually ok to pivot to stuff early on), make it a lot more awkward in other situations.

It has also been insane in games to me. While it doesn't always have the strongest showing in UUPL for example, both because it's sometimes not played well and some others it faces a combination of things that limit it very hard, I've seen games coming down to @ how many outrage turns and it's just ridicolous. This meta having 2 (some would even argue 1) good fairy types means that during the midgame you can safely click outrage and get a ton of progress off it, just to get bailed by a 2 turns end when they switch out in favor of their steel type. Seeing games come down to that is just sad to me.

I would write more and more but the tl;dr would be that i think it affects teambuilding in a crazy way and since the mon is so good at punishing unprepped teams you can't afford to ignore it, but using the little tools that consistently beat it just leaves you open to other stuff. It makes the tier a lot more revolved around match up and i think we would be 100% be doing well without it, while also not losing anything too important for the balance of the tier.

I'm slowly moving towards ban. However, I think it's still really stupid Aegislash stayed in the tier.

Let's move outside Pokemon. What are your TV, movie, and music interests? Do you have a favorite song, movie, or TV show?

I don't really watch TV series nor movies much, I used to watch some anime years ago but i stopped in the last 2-3 years. I have a netflix account and sometimes binge watch stuff although i usually do it with friends rather than alone, since i prefer doing something else otherwise. A couple of months ago i watched "The queen's gambit" and liked it a lot so I'd say that's my favorite TV series, unsure about film though.

As for music, I listen to a ton of stuff of different genres in a couple of different languages. I like japanese music a lot and used to listen to a bunch of korean music too, even tho i haven't been doing it much lately. Lately i've been listening to BMTH, Bülow, Sub Urban, Charli XCX and Halsey the most I think. If i had to pick a top 5 overall for me, I'd say Cö shu Nie, BMTH, Heize, Aimer and Minami would be my favourite artists/groups overall, with Asphyxia by Cö shu Nie (jrock) being my favorite song and That's The Spirit by BMTH (alternative metal for the most part) being my favorite album.

Good choices.

Could you perhaps share a team of your own design that you are especially proud of? Your choice of team week 1 of UUPL was interesting if you'd like to speak about that.

Well, as i said earlier i'm not self sufficient which means I don't build for my own tour games, and I don't really build a lot in general. I don't dislike doing it, but I just can't unless I feel inspired in doing so and usually have big holes in the things i build which makes me end up scratching them away. The week 1 team wasn't made by me and both me and the person that built ended up agreeing that the team wasn't really great, it just had the ability of covering everything the meta had at the time if the sequences were played the right way which was good enough. Since I don't really wanna share teams made by others even though the base ideas might've been mines, I'll share one of the teams I used against Meru in UU Masters 2 months ago, which i thought was interesting at the time and i actually made it for once.

:moltres::azelf::aegislash::swampert::nihilego::tangrowth:

(I changed the spread of tang to the default smogdex one for tour reasons)

So yeah, this was a team i built around banded Aegislash, which at the time wasn't a common thing, it was a dead, months old, trend that i thought would be cool to revive since it looked exceptional against meru and his high Celesteela usage. Aegi could literally just cc it into Nihilego's +1 Thunder range which was perfect, and i was using Head Smash during that game as a fun choice for Mandibuzz, so i could easily get rid of it for my Azelf to pop off. Head Smash was definitely a memey choice i made, Shadow Claw is better in 90% scenarios but clicking CB Head Smash is so much fun and I wanted to show it off (if possible) for the fun of the TD chat. I ended up showing it! .. just g3 when i used another CB aegi team and it did more damage than good things, but i kinda expected it the moment i took the head smash gambit. Rest of the theory is pretty simple, Azelf pressures Slowking which belt eball/turns to get it in range for nihi/molt, swampert and tang were the defensive backbone of the team and checked most stuff that could be threatening, Mamo was a huge threat so i ended up making swampert pdef for it and to have an out to dd mence, which would've been really hard to deal with otherwise. Amoonguss is super annoying for this team to deal with but it trended off at the time, same with zydog.

Overall, this team was really fun to use back in that meta, wouldn't expect it to do much nowdays with a way different meta where i don't think mons like Azelf are that great, but it did it's job and won me that one game i used it into+revived cb aegi for everyone!

That was an intense game! Cool team.

Would you like to shout out anyone or give some final remarks?

Not gonna mention everyone 1 by 1 because those would be a lot of tags, but big thanks to umbry in particular as well as everyone in ff22, idols, darms, tmbj, roseraiders, the uu community and all the people i talk with in general for the fun times and memories i've made so far. I've had ups and downs in the last couple of years but my time here has been overall enjoyable and it's thanks to y'all. Also big thanks to you Drew for having me, it was fun!

Awesome interview! Thank you very much for joining me!

Feel free to ask Lyss any questions you want!

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Q1) Other then Zygarde-10%, are there any Pokémon you find to be problematic right now?
Q2) After Tier Shifts, do you expect anything to be broken, if not Quick Ban worthy?
Q3) What are your thoughts on Silvally-Ground in the current meta?
Q4) What is your most treasured possession?
Q5) I noticed that you didn't sign up for UUFPL this year. Are you supporting any team and, if not, is there a team that you're cheering for?

Hey Lyss/Lilac/Mionda. Bit of a deeper question for you: What qualities do you value in a friend? In other words, what draws you to people and makes you want to get to know them? Do you think there is anything that you value in a friend that's unique compared with others?

For a little bit of a less deep question, I'm interested to know your thoughts on languages since you like learning about them. As a fellow Japanese language student, what do you like about the language? What do you not like? What surprised you about it once you started learning it? And finally, what other languages are you interested in learning, if any?

Last edited:

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Q1) Other then Zygarde-10%, are there any Pokémon you find to be problematic right now?
Not in the current meta idt. I don't think Aegislash is broken as we have enough answers to every single set outside of maybe the choiced ones, but those 2 just work differently in general. There are a lot of ways to fit both hard shutdowns or just out sequences for SD for example, and most importantly aren't hard to find. Choiced sets are a matter of getting plays right and limiting them as much as possible if your team loses one everytime, it's not anything we are unfamiliar with (see: primarina). Could go a bit more in depth on that topic but nah I think the meta rn is fine outside of Zygarde being overcentralizing.

Q2) After Tier Shifts, do you expect anything to be broken, if not Quick Ban worthy?
I'm unsure about what we're getting and what is gonna leave at the moment. I'm a huge Scizor hater and I believe it's gonna be broken eventually, but we will need some time to figure it out and to figure out what the best sets are gonna be, so idt it's ever getting quick banned although i wouldn't be too opposed personally. I think it's gonna be broken eventually though.

Q3) What are your thoughts on Silvally-Ground in the current meta?
Offensive grounds with coverage for skarmory and the grasses are probably all usable tbh, if it ends up not being outclassed on the team why not. The only thing worrying me is that work up is forced out after a KO if it gets it in the first place and flame charge does rly 0.

Q4) What is your most treasured possession?
Unsure if you meant material or in general, but assuming you meant material i'm not rly sure.

Q5) I noticed that you didn't sign up for UUFPL this year. Are you supporting any team and, if not, is there a team that you're cheering for?
Yeah, Between Slam and UUPL+RUPL+SMPL I definitely wanted to skip something and decided to skip UUFPL, in fear of someone slotting me in smth I didn't wanna play too lol. I'd say i'm cheering for friends more so than teams, but since the Poliwags+Diancies+Venusaurs have a bunch of them, I guess i'm rooting for one of them. GL with the tour, hope y'all can find success in it and most importantly have a fun time while doing so!

Hey Lyss/Lilac/Mionda.
Heya!

Bit of a deeper question for you: What qualities do you value in a friend? In other words, what draws you to people and makes you want to get to know them? Do you think there is anything that you value in a friend that's unique compared with others?
I'd say honesty and trustworthiness are the two i value the most. Being open minded too probably, nobody is perfect and I think that accepting others for who they are, even with their flaws, is an amazing quality. As to what draws me to people and makes want to know them more, I don't know, I feel like that can different than what i listed above. I'm really shy and usually have a hard time being the first one to start a conversation or to go and try to talk to someone, but the few times it happened to me it was just cause we shared hobbies or passions, they seemed like fun person to be around and it eventually went on etc. Haven't really thought/brainstormed about this recently since i've mostly been focussing on myself and this definitely got me thinking for a bit lol

For a little bit of a less deep question, I'm interested to know your thoughts on languages since you like learning about them. As a fellow Japanese language student, what do you like about the language? What do you not like? What surprised you about it once you started learning it? And finally, what other languages are you interested in learning, if any?
I'm not sure on what I like the most about the language. I'd say the way it sounds probably? I've been a fan of japanese music even before i started studying the language, and wanting to know what those lyrics i was listening to said is also part of why i wanted to study and learn it. Something that surprised me is that I don't find it as hard as I imagined it to be. I don't think it's rules are too complicated or anything, and the one thing that i find really difficult, and that i don't like about the language, is kanji really. Especially as a non-native speaker, it's just really complex to pick it up from 0. Thankfully with some time and patience picking up the most essential and common ones isn't too hard. Not sure what other languages i'd like to pick up at the moment, but i definitely don't hate the idea!

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
drily

best dangan girls / guys

whats the most embarassing internet slang youve said irl (i just naur'd by accident)

how kpopified have the idols gotten from their idolm@ster roots

Lyssa

DPL Champion

best dangan girls / guys
was trying to do game by game but dr1 guys actually suck hard gdi. best guys are Nagito/Kokichi/Gundham i guess??? Maybe Hajime too.
Best girls are Kyoko/Ibuki/Maki/Angie but there are other ok ones.

whats the most embarassing internet slang youve said irl (i just naur'd by accident)
I accidently So True'd my mother once and never felt more ashamed. I dropped some lol every now and then but those were nothing in comparison to that.

how kpopified have the idols gotten from their idolm@ster roots
Between me/Passion/Bouff/Chloe listens to some as well i'd say very kpopified/10

spell

breathe again in the world anew
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
queen

Top 3 tiers you despise and wouldn't play even if money was put on the table, can also be a DLC/certain shift metagame.
Any players you looked up to when you started out?
How many hours did you spend on master duel

Lyssa

DPL Champion
hii queen

Top 3 tiers you despise and wouldn't play even if money was put on the table, can also be a DLC/certain shift metagame.
Not gonna count OMs for obvious reasons and gonna cut rby away cause I really wouldn't play any non-ou versions of it under any circumstances.

1 - Lucha Conk Xurkitree SM UU meta (UU open 2017): The most horrendous phase SM UU has gotten through, literally an unplayable metagame where games came down to bulletpunch critting lucha or xurkitree hitting zhypnosis, everything ohko'd everything else and we even had WEAVILE on top of everything

2 - Alakazam Kyurem Magnezone SS UU meta (UUPL 2021): Basically what i talked about above but dragmag edition, with mag not even being able to properly trap scizor so you'd see bs to trap it which made it hilarious honestly. Noivern being a staple in a tier with those 3 monsters, scizor, zeraora, and a bunch of other mons just talks for itself.

3 - Oras RU, in it's entirety. I used to play it a bit when dugtrio was around and i SWEAR it was better than the current one somehow but full of weird bs and TOGETIC of all things was considered viable when it was cg, rn it's just venuwars and weird stuff honestly I can't stand that tier.

Any players you looked up to when you started out?
Sacri, Pak and Pearl in no particular order. I used to watch all their tours games in 2017 and be impressed for different reasons, I always loved the way all 3 played the game and how they were able to keep their style and make it viable in every meta UU was going through at the moment, without changing it too much but just by adapting. When Pak and Pearl teamed together in the 2018 SPL Raiders, they produced some of my favourite all time teams (that i shamelessly stole from replays).

How many hours did you spend on master duel

I haven't played much in march and honestly I always prefer watching yugioh rather than playing it myself

Is there anything specific you do before an important game?(as an example I usually have water next to me and put on one of my favorite gaming OSTS)

SCL is around the corner(I expect you to get picked)which would be your debut in an official setting. Think you will be nervous? Excited? A mix of both?

I haven't played much in march and honestly I always prefer watching yugioh rather than playing it myself
What's your favorite season of yugioh, and if you could name your top 3 duelists from that
Season who would it be?
Example: Yugioh GX top 3:Yubel Johan, Hell Kaiser, Judai Yuki

Lyssa

DPL Champion
Is there anything specific you do before an important game?(as an example I usually have water next to me and put on one of my favorite gaming OSTS)
I gradually start going full panic mode before important games so eventually i came up with a routine/list of stuff to help with it a bit, and grabbing water is def part of mine too! Other stuff I do are grabbing another sweater or something else to wear since anxiety makes me feel the cold 5x, trying to play sequences of possible hard mus in my head so that in case i run into them i know where i can (possibly) optimize etc, and usually put on some chill music that i likely end up changing during the game. oh, and importing the team into calc too.

SCL is around the corner(I expect you to get picked)which would be your debut in an official setting. Think you will be nervous? Excited? A mix of both?
I appreciate the first part a lot, thanks! I think i'll probably be a mix of both, excited to get to know new people and to have more people watching/talking about my games, nervous about my own performance, but i've been hopeful about it recently, although i still make some rly dumb mistakes.

What's your favorite season of yugioh, and if you could name your top 3 duelists from that
Season who would it be?
Example: Yugioh GX top 3:Yubel Johan, Hell Kaiser, Judai Yuki
I meant it more so as watching games and not the anime, although i love the anime too and i watch almost all the seasons(from dm to arc v, didn't rly watch zexal 2 since i found it boring). My favourite season would definitely be GX and the Yubel arc peaked. One thing i always didn't super like about the yugioh anime are the characters honestly, because outside of 4-5 for season i thought they were underdeveloped. If i think about 5ds for example, Akiza could've been a super cool character and had a strong base but they ended up deciding that she was better as a babysitter(??) period. GX had more likeable characters than the usual 4-5 but still has that kinda issue, I still think Aster could've been better and the COs like Syrus and Blair were literally useless even in the arcs about them. I'd say Jaden/Yubel Jaden, Johan, and probably Chazz??? since he was giga funny were my favs but also Zane/hell kaiser when he wasn't cringe. I'd say no other season comes close to GX in terms of how good it was, 5ds is pgood and arc-v was unironically good if you skip the first 10-15 episodes and end at 120 without wathcing the final part of it.

god i wrote so much

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)