Project Player Interview V2 #5: Avarice

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion

Approved by UU Moderation / Amazing Art by Moutemoute

Hello and welcome to.. "Player Interview"! This project will allow you to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. This time around we will be focusing mainly on important contributors to the forums such as Tier Leaders, Forum Moderators, Community Contributors, and Council Members. Let me first say that I am honored to be following in the footsteps of an esteemed and accomplished list of interviewers: Moutemoute, Feliburn, Kink, and Cynde. Thank you are very much for your work!

Hello Avarice. How are you?

I'm good, Flapples just confirmed playoffs for UUFPL

Hope you've been well yourself

Nice job! I'm doing well thanks.

Alright well, tell me and the community a bit about yourself via a brief introduction. Name, age, favorite color, your favorite prime number, whatever you would like to say!

My name is Dillon, I'm 19 residing in Ohio and my favorite color is periwinkle, prime number 11 and my favorite music artist is Mitski

Periwinkle, thats cool.

How did you get yourself started on Smogon and Showdown?

I played a fair amount of random ladder games back in 2016 just for fun and eventually found myself in UU where I could use the always skillful Combusken + Nidoqueen

I at some point made a smogon account and made I think was a random VR post (deleted and got hit w lurk more)

Eventually I joined the UU discord in like 2018 and enjoyed the environment enough to start using smogon

Of all the cheesers, in all the land, you sir stand alone. Somehow, no matter the tier, you can make cheese work and I'm feta up with it. Why do you like cheese so much? Also do you ever want to build yourself a Blue Cottage in Monterey where there is a nice cold Brie's and own some Goats?

LOL, well I just appreciate the fast paced games that come with offense where often there arent turns that won't have consequences

Cheese also gives room to use some less common mons like Inteleon, Indeedee, etc.

If counting stall, it's just nice to have options especially when it's frankly busted in SM UU (and it's very difficult to prep for both HO and full stall)

That makes sense. Talk a little about your tournament experience. Where have you found the most success?

I believe my best record was in LTPL (which people didn't really take seriously I suppose) where I used mostly BO instead of cheesing every week. I also assisted obii during the last Smogon Snake Draft and helped him get the best PU record building for him each week. My favorite teamtour was probably the last PUPL (though not on the team I drafted on) or UU Snake.

Oh and as far as individuals go I did pretty well in UU majors and DPP PU cup.

I know you play quite a few tiers alongside UU. Is there a tier you enjoy most or at least a top 3 tiers?

I think I enjoy cg UU the most since post Zeraora you can be more creative without the team just folding. My favorite overall though are probably DPP PU, BW Monotype or SM UU.

SM UU is king and with old gens changing there is potential for some suspects.

What is your favorite Pokemon that is currently a viable pick in UU?

Entei and Inteleon are really fun mons and should be ranked imo

More-so Entei

If Entei isn't ranked right now that's surprising. It gets plenty of tournament usage.

What was your favorite cartoon or Disney channel show growing up?

I watched a lot of cartoons but the first that come to mind are Avatar the Last Airbender and The Amazing World of Gumball

My friends harassed me until I watched ATLA and it's now my favorite animated show to date.

As they should

Haha. Off the top of your head, completely improvised, give me an inspirational quote.

It's always worth getting out of bed in the morning, especially when you can make waffles downstairs

Legendary. You're up there with Einstein and Carl Sagan my friend.

Could you perhaps share a team of your own design that you are especially proud of?

:azelf::froslass::mimikyu::scizor::cobalion::inteleon:
I've been spamming this in the UU roomtours and its done pretty well. Hella weak to Noivern but is still very fun. I wanted to build with AO Azelf and Spikes Froslass after a discussion in QC between Lily and Mantis (obviously) about Azelf and how offensive > lead/screens etc.

Cool team! Would you like to shout out anyone or give some final remarks?

I'd like to s/o expulso for being a huge asset to the flapples' season and gum for always testing cracked pu shit with me

Awesome. Thanks for sitting down for this interview Avarice!

Yeah of course, thanks for having me!

Feel free to ask to avarice any questions you want!

Last edited:

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1- :omg:
2- Favorite Pokemon soundtrack
3- What buffs you'd like to see for some returning mons if any when the remakes drop? (e.g Roost Empoleon)
4- You have the power to nuke one mon from existence like it never existed, which do you choose?
5- What keeps you going on the site?

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
fav mitski song? and why is it class of 2013?
thoughts on acupressure bright powder tsareena in uu
do u think anything should get banned from uu (/ pu), including oldgens
:omg:

How close do you think I am to achieving your level of cheese?
How do you feel when people use the term "cheese" to really mean "something I don't like to play against so I will dismiss it as bad even though I lost to it"?

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Please use a new avatar.

Anyway, why the name avarice? we've talked about this before but you never gave a real answer. You know it means lustful greed, but like lol! Anyway plz become RO and teach me UU to get away from the travesty that is Monotype without Urshifu-S.

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
[19:06:33] pif: avarice
[19:06:38] pif: more like boringrice
yeah i should've spoken more apologies ;w;
Which songs would you recommend
It really goes down to what you already listen to butttt in general Francis Forever by Mitski and Cherry by Rina Sawayama arent rly "out there"
Which pokemon do you wish was viable in uu
I wish snorlax was viable since I had a team I really liked with it back when zera skarm etc. were around
If you had to pick one would you choose atla or lok
tbh lok, it gets a lot of hate but u gotta rm the writers thought it was only one season, then one last season, and then when given news for 3 and 4 they couldn't rly switch the style
1- :omg:
2- Favorite Pokemon soundtrack
DPP, iconic
3- What buffs you'd like to see for some returning mons if any when the remakes drop? (e.g Roost Empoleon)
roost empo sounds cool for sure or even like literally anything to make electrivire not suck. i want megas back more than upgraded movepools tho
4- You have the power to nuke one mon from existence like it never existed, which do you choose?
I think toxapex set society back a few years
5- What keeps you going on the site?
mainly being able to talk with friends about stuff like music and how this game sucks w rng sometimes
fav mitski song? and why is it class of 2013?
it really depends on the week tbh but most recently I've been spamming puberty 2 n love Fireworks and A Loving Feeling. Class of 2013 will always JSDAKLF;JADSLFKA tho
thoughts on acupressure bright powder tsareena in uu
talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, shit on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it
do u think anything should get banned from uu (/ pu), including oldgens
maybe I'm just lazy to relearn shit but I don't really have complaints rn (SM UU stall is a big convo rn but ehhhh). Scrafty is prob the most annoying thing in SS PU for me and for oldgens I think Simisear leaving SM PU wouldn't be too bad.
:omg:
What's your favourite playstyle?
HO lets you run weird shit and has a fun fast feel to it which i find p appealing
If you could go anywhere in the world where would it be and why wouldn't it be Spain?
japan seems pretty cool, spain ive been n had a good time but i make more visits to spain with the s while laddering
Do you have any teambuilding tips for any up-and-coming/newer players?
it's alright to use basic structures at least personally id go out of my way to use some obsurce mon (and still sometimes do)
How close do you think I am to achieving your level of cheese?
dangerously close, fuck that screens pyuku :omg:
How do you feel when people use the term "cheese" to really mean "something I don't like to play against so I will dismiss it as bad even though I lost to it"?
it honestly kinda tiring LOL since it just invalidates smth that's doing it's job as off meta (at times). agreeing to not prep for it is just boring to me.
Please use a new avatar.
cba to keep a smogon one anyway
Anyway, why the name avarice? we've talked about this before but you never gave a real answer. You know it means lustful greed, but like lol!
it sounded cool i honestly don't rm much beyond that
Anyway plz become RO and teach me UU to get away from the travesty that is Monotype without Urshifu-S.
just main smth besides fighting :omg:
i know you're lying about your favorite team tour, tell me why it was miltanks go ahead
including miltanks as a teamtour is HELLA generous sorry @Seo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)