Project Player Interview #7 : Estarossa

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

It's been almost 2 months and I know you've all been waiting for it.. Welcome guys in the "UU Player Interview", a project where you'll be able to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Hello there Estarossa, thanks for being here today with me for the return of the UU player interview ! First of all how are you ?

I'm good thanks, just relaxing after a tough day of uni work irl

I may be dumb but what is "uni work" ?

university work ;x

Oh lmao ! Outside of that, can you tell us about yourself ? Where are you from, how you managed to discover Smogon etc.. ?

I'm a 24 year old PhD student from London, studying maths. I used to play DPP UU a decent bit on Shoddy battle for fun when I was bored back in the day, and then came back to Pokemon Showdown a few years later. A couple of years ago I started to get a lot more interested in Pokemon and started taking it more seriously, and decided to sign up to Smogon to help improve and integrate more with the UU community.

I see.. I assume you're a fan of "Nanatsu no Taizai" right ?

yea i'm a pretty big fan of the manga in particular, its just generally a fun manga and definitely has a fantastic sad backstory to it, and while I'm not a massive fan of the direction the anime has been going with the poor animation lately, it has a few of my favourite anime characters in Merlin and Estarossa.

Yeah talking about the animation, what's your thoughts on the last broadcast season, particularly the fight between Meliodas and Escanor ? Do you hope that we're going to get at least a good final season ?

Yea the animation this season, especially in that fight, was a big disappointment especially with how hyped it was. The soundtrack was super on point as usual though which was good at least, and the animation picked up at some points towards the end. I'm slightly hopeful for the next season as it was clear this previous one was rushed, and there's one particular fight I hope is done well.

Yeah let's cross our fingers.. ! Let's focus on Smogon and competitive Pokemon.. From a competitive point of view, do you have any goal on Smogon or in UU ?

I'd quite like to try and win a circuit tour this generation, or try and reach playoffs in Grand Slam, although I still feel both of these are rather out of reach for now. Otherwise I'd mainly just like to focus on helping the community as I have been with QC and analysis work, modding the PS UU room, and helping on the forums.

That's some program you got there ! By the way, about a month ago, you posted your RMT "Francis"..Do you have another UU team that you'd like to share with us ?

does this need to be SS UU? been playing a lot of sm uu lately especially during uupl

Could be whatever you want man !

:metagross::mamoswine::altaria-mega::tentacruel::rotom-heat::hydreigon:
This is one of my favourite SM UU teams atm. I made it after the end of the generation when i was particularly interested in building around Grass Knot Metagross, which is a really cool set that can lure Pokemon like Swampert and Scizor. Its a good example that i'm not a Sand Balance one trick pony in sm uu kinda! I used this quite a bit in tests for Vets in UUPL, especially for PDT, and it was always one of my favourites to use!

Team looks fire and I'm not saying that because of the Firium Z Rotom-Heat ! I didn't asked yet, but since we're going to have some big changes in UU with the upcoming DLC, do you have any expectation ? Any wish on what we could get ?

One thing, that i'm sure no-one is surprised about, that im excited for is aerodactyl, but that isn't until DLC2. I don't have too many immediate expectations for this DLC due to new toy syndrome in OU, but I would love to get Skarmory finally this gen if Corviknight causes it to get low enough usage, and I'm really not looking forward to getting Scizor most likely dropping. Definitely expecting Blissey to be overpowered in UU with Teleport, especially with Blissey offense teams, although it would otherwise be a nice boon for defensive teams.

Yeah Blissey with Wish and Teleport looks kinda nasty. 3 weeks to wait and we should be fixed ! Last question, could you tell us what's your favorite Pokemon and why ?

One thing to note is that Wish Teleport Blissey is an illegal combination, so we don't have to worry about that! My favourite Pokemon is a tie between Hippowdon or Umbreon personally, Umbreon has historically always been my fav just fitting my playstyle amazingly, and I love its design especially its shiny sprite, although not everyone agrees that it is a black cat. Hippowdon was probably my favourite Pokemon all through sm uu, seeing massive usage, and I similarly love its design and sand as a playstyle in general.

Oh I didn't know you can't run both, what a bless ! Yeah Umbreon is super nice even though the current metagame is super rude for it because of Incineroar, Cobalion, Sylveon and our brand new Keldeo.. Well that's all for today. Thanks for your time and your great answers, feel free to shoutout your friends if you want to !

Would love to shoutout Juno, Accelgor, PinkDragonTamer, Lilburr, and Hilomilo, some of my best friends on this site who make it worth my time!

Sure ! Thanks again and have a good night !

thanks for having me :)

Feel free to ask to Estarossa any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

• Absol: peeled or not peeled?
  • Coffee or tea? (hot chocolate is also a valid answer)
  • Do you have any cool meme to share with us?
  • Favorite math fun fact?
  • Gigalith or Rhyperior?
  • If you could travel to any place in the southern hemisphere, where would it be?
  • Just curious, is Stall / Semi Stall viable in any incarnation of PU that you play?
  • Last but not least, are there more people you'd like to shoutout that you didn't shoutout in the main interview? ^3^

what is the best set in the ss uu metagame and why is it otr jelli?
what are the two worst sets in the ss uu metagame and why are they offensive weezing and fast taunt umbreon?
what is your favorite part about doing qc work for two different metas and why is it to likewhore?
can you like my most recent post?

ok now for a serious question that i never got to ask you: why is the best pairing for hazard coverage wtih molt like molt + tsareena/dhelmise?

cheers

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
hello Estarossa i have a question: thoughts?

poggedemaru

i'm here to snipe the usual questions:
fav food
fav pet
fav color
fav drink
also plz explain how lyd is so good at drawing i don't get it :psyduck:

curry
cats
purple
prosecco

i don't get it either, lyd is just too talented at everything :]

• Absol: peeled or not peeled?
  • Coffee or tea? (hot chocolate is also a valid answer)
  • Do you have any cool meme to share with us?
  • Favorite math fun fact?
  • Gigalith or Rhyperior?
  • If you could travel to any place in the southern hemisphere, where would it be?
  • Just curious, is Stall / Semi Stall viable in any incarnation of PU that you play?
  • Last but not least, are there more people you'd like to shoutout that you didn't shoutout in the main interview? ^3^
not peeled, peeled is an abomination :peepo:
hard to choose, i drink more tea in general but i do love iced coffee. hot chocolate makes me feel sick despite enjoying it though.

e^ipi + 1 = 0
Rhyperior, toxtricity is absurdly annoying
antarctica, i love cold places and its generally beautiful and untouched
definitely in sm pu, sawbusken is a famous example but there's a lot of potential for it
100%, lyd CBU TSR avarice Twilight Stoward gum martha yogi are all amazing people <3 i'm sure i missed some people so sorry :(

what is the best set in the ss uu metagame and why is it otr jelli?
what are the two worst sets in the ss uu metagame and why are they offensive weezing and fast taunt umbreon?
what is your favorite part about doing qc work for two different metas and why is it to likewhore?
can you like my most recent post?

ok now for a serious question that i never got to ask you: why is the best pairing for hazard coverage wtih molt like molt + tsareena/dhelmise?

cheers
offensive weezing :peepo:
otr jelli and otr jelli
i generally enjoy writing, and like helping people

idk why wouldn't it be

Last edited:
Esta why do u like gsc uu?

why are u so addicted to tspikes?

whats ur favorite bug type pokemon?

do u wanna do bo5 slam tiers later?

sm tour plz

Last edited:

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Forgot to reply to the rest of these woops!

what is the best smogon meta and why is it sm pu?
thoughts on lanturn in uu?
what is britney's best album and why is it blackout?
sm pu because lanturnt is goat.
cool niche option in sm uu on some fat balances, never really tried it in ss uu after finding out AV barely avoids the boomburst 2hko from toxt.
tbh i'd say femme fatalle but blackout is great too, its really hard to pick in general.

do you think hydreigon > Latias in gen 7 uu, and why is seven sins ur fav manga/anime. also why estarossa as ur name
No but i definitely use it a lot more in my builds, its proabbly my #1 usage mon honestly cause of how crazy good darkinium fog hydra is. Seven deadly sins isn't actually my favourite manga/anime, would probably be hunter x hunter honestly. Estarossa of love was just the first free name I could find on PS when i wanted to get a new name, so I got estarossa on the forums, and then the name on ps.

Esta why do u like gsc uu?

why are u so addicted to tspikes?

whats ur favorite bug type pokemon?

do u wanna do bo5 slam tiers later?

sm tour plz
Hard to explain honestly. I do really like a metagame where cool mons like Haunter, Granbull, and Nidoqueen are top mons though. Lack of u-turn/volt switch, and the nice range of playstyles is cool too ig.
Escavalier probably.
Late but sure if you ever want to do some.

Best item on UU golurk?

What's the second worst color you know of? Please provide an exact RGB or hexadecimal code of the color.

Have you ever tried focaccia bread it's really good I reccommend it

Best Mario RPG?
Colbur personally, the ability to be a bit more greedy vs bulky incin and risk clicking eq vs a potential offensive incin is really nice.
#ceb011 horrible mustard colour twi chose in goons fsr
yea my aunt makes some really tasty homemade focaccia.
paper mario thousand year door.

Weezing Galar in SwSh UU or Hydreigon in USUM UU

Scarf Flygon or Defog uturn flygon in SwSh UU

Botw or SwSh

and last but not least, Fire blast or flamethrower?
oh god thats such an impossible question, i guess If i was forced at gunpoint I'd say hydreigon though because i have an absurd usage % on it.
defog u-turn I guess but I'm really not a flygon fan in general.
Botw.
Fire Blast most of the time ie. on weezing, flamethrower on like boots chandy eg tho.

Why doesn’t smogon pay contributors
How much will you go for next Uupl? Pupl?
What questions do you want me to ask you
Because we're priceless.
well i went for 7k in pupl since you asked, but 0k in uupl probably :c
Why are huskies so cute? Answer -

hows life?
quarantine is driving me insane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)