Project Player Interview #6: col49

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader

Art by Kalalokki

col49
Favorite Pokemon: Slurpuff

Most used Pokemon: Metagross

Most known for: Being one of the most diverse builders in the tier, besides playing in official tours and being one of the oldest members of the community

After finally saving enough money, I managed to go to New Jersey to meet with my agent. However upon my arrival, I wasn't received by anyone.

3 weeks passed and I found myself walking around aimlessly once again, this time with no clues to go on. It wasn't until a sunday night that I met this eloquent fella playing magic the gathering.

He had this different vibe around him and he kept using words too complicated for my understanding. Turns out this was the man I was supposed to meet all along, so I questioned him why he decided to john me till sunday, he just looked at me and said "Hell yea" and walked away.

I sighed and went after him...

Hey col, how is it going?

Can’t complain man, how you living?

Chill as usual
Contrasting from the previously interviewed people, I actually dont really know much about you other than the fact that you are a prominent force when it comes to building teams
Would you mind telling me about yourself?

Shoot, that so? Well, I’m 24 years old and I guess I technically started playing in 2009, right about when Netbattle was starting to fade out in favor of Pokémon Online. My friend irl showed me the server, we made a terrible Baton Pass team and raged at someone who ran Skarmory to the point where we added a Magnezone just for him. Finally started playing on my own right about when BW1 started on Pokémon Online on some super small server where I started to self-teach how to actually build and play, met one of my longest Pokémon friends in Tokyo Tom, then Alan, and eventually joined a clan by the name of The Gang /[G$] once I started to get decent. Made some connections there (GarytheGengar and Void were members, for some names of folks still around) and started idling around the IDM room, after enough time I was convinced to make a Smogon account. Started up about right at the inception of RU, and frankly I decided to give it a shot just on the basis that everyone was bound to be as new to it as me so no harm, no foul. I was pretty bad for a minute, but after grinding a bit on the low I finally got decent around BW2; started QCing, took part in the now-defunct mentorship program, got rotating council for laddering like 7 alts into the top 40 using variations of the same HO with each alt, etc. Took it pretty slow during XY, but around the time of SPL VI I decided to take a swing at playing and was given a shot by Cryonicles off a vote of confidence from Dice and since-quit Ubers player Sweep, which was a lot of fun. That progressed into a great deal of hype for my next season, where honestly I wasn’t feeling it so much but I was hype and did it anyway, getting retained for an exorbitant sum and promptly falling short of everyone’s expectations, teaching me a valuable lesson about how much you should invest in a past time like this. Past that I think it’s all been pretty clear-cut; been helping out Europe during Wcop on account of East being way too stacked, getting involved with most other team tours directly, and telling people not to ladder in between.

Epic story
So the image I have of you is an old good player who went on the down low and recently came back to play at the top level, what made you start playing again for real?

Honestly I’d love to know myself. Feel like I’m well past the point of getting hyped about winning, I basically only sign up for team tours at this point because I can’t maintain interest in a solo tour whatsoever. I suppose I just enjoy the part of this game that allows you to mess around with friends, put together something cool, and in an ideal world put on a good show for whoever happens to catch it live.

Would you mind telling me a bit about your backstory?

I can’t imagine it’s anything too special really, NJ middle class suburbanite. I managed to grow in that special “TV will melt your brain” era of parenting, and incidentally both my first time watching television and owning a video game were Pokémon-based, being the surfing Pikachu episode of the original series and Leaf Green, respectively. Got grounded the very first day with it too, tried to push through Rock Tunnel without Flash on a school day when I was supposed to go to bed, good times. I did fairly well in school but never quite made things click in college, realizing a bit too late I’d probably be most motivated to get a degree in the arts but having the good fiscal sense to realize I don’t want to sink money into a decree in the arts this late. Nowadays I work for UPS plus whatever odd jobs to fill my midday hours, though in the near future I’m hoping to make the transition to driving because being not even 25 with back pains isn’t fun.

Other than mons, what else do you do on your freetime?

In terms of other games, I tend to lean towards RPGs more than most; the Fire Emblem series was something I’ve been following since the GBA era, From Software has been putting out a lot that I’ve liked though I’m a pretty late adopter honestly, Fallout’s not even been that good this decade but I enjoy it nonetheless. Play my fair deal of Magic The Gathering, I think a lot of the deck brewing there has a similar appeal to that of Pokémon and the way a good player with a cool deck can go off is super dope to me. I’ve sunk a lot of time into film and music as well, the art of storytelling on the whole is something I’m pretty fascinated in. Probably listen to rap more than anything else, which is woat where I’m at right now because nobody in central jersey’s listening to rap like that but I’ll give a shot to just about anything. Right now I don’t think I could aptly categorize myself as a film buff, but I’ve been soaking up featurettes and interviews with directors of films I enjoy and beginning to find the words for why I find, say, Funny Games so fascinating while Endgame was such a bore.

rofl I'm playing through Fire Emblem awakening as we speak, favorite Fire Emblem game?
Also favorite rapper? You are not allowed to say Ajna

Ah, nice, I’m just a couple months into Part 2 myself. I’ve enjoyed Three Houses so far, and the writing is a lot better to me than most installments, but for my money the original GBA title and Path of Radiance are the best. Best blend of challenge and enjoyment, but that’s mostly if you’re going to it for a purist strategy game experience which it really isn’t as much with the newer titles. As for rappers I usually default to Ghostface for lifetime (Fishscale was one of the albums that got me into rap in the first place, like 3.5 classic solos albums and some of the best verses off 36 Chambers) and Danny Brown in terms of more current ones, but Billy Woods hasn’t had a real miss yet for me and is up there.

Nice, so col tell me a thing
In the latest snake draft tournament you signed up to play NU/UU, is there a specific reason you opted not to play RU?

Well the primary goal of that was to avoid dealing with Ajna, so I guess I’m already messed up. However, I would say more than anything I just felt I would enjoy it more, play against a different pool of opponents and build different teams. Plus, if you’ve known me long enough you’ll know I don’t consider myself to be a particularly good player, just enough so to get by really, and at a point like this me RUing would see me way too overhyped for my liking. Getting picked up by around 3 for a tier I’ve got a net 3 tour games in is insane, but in the same breath I feel like I’m not crust enough to not sign up because I think tours like these should ideally feature interesting games and I feel like I should be doing my part to give back to the community in some way. That may make no sense, but it felt like my best bet at balancing a continued enjoyment in touring and avoiding this assessment as some kinda wunderkid I never really was haha.

What are your thoughts on the snake RU players?

I think there’s a lot of promise in the pool right now. I was surprised to see so many teams put so much faith full swing into ‘mains’ given the history of the tier in tours, but a lot of the players have developed to the point where that’s viable which is cool. That all said, a ton of slots here look super volatile, be it by way of just not having much in terms of ‘big’ tour experience or just wild variance in performance, so being able to accurately predict how the season goes is sort of a crapshoot to me.

Feel the same, I like that more mains got picked this time around
What do you think about the current player base? Both veterans and newcomers

I like where we’re at right now. There was a time a year or two ago where convincing anyone, vet or otherwise, to use something outside the Top 15 felt like pulling teeth. Fortunately, thanks to the inclusion of vocal newcomers and changes in stance from players like Ajna this no longer feels like the case. I’m generally quite happy with our current playerbase, and the fact that so many are getting looks as evidenced by the recent draft is an indicator that we’re in a good place competitively too.

What about the current meta? How do you feel about it? Would you change something from it?

In terms of bans? Not at all, I find everything to be pretty stable, though stealing some picks from UU could hardly hurt. I guess I could say that the manner in which people have been tackling the metagame has gotten a bit dull, and I stand by the fact that basically the only thing keeping Donphan as good as it is would be everyone’s adamant refusal to adapt to it being a relevant Pokémon. Not that it would suddenly become awful otherwise, point being I would love to people to take this willingness to try new things that I touched on earlier and applying it to 1-upping current meta standards, that’s what makes building so fun imo.

Why and how is it possible that slurpuff is your favorite pokemon?

that’s my aesthetic. In fairness, it was Kangashkan for the longest, given a nostalgic connection being this Pokémon I had to spent too much time in the Safari Zone trying to nab after seeing Giovanni use it and the fact that it’s a shout-out to my Australian roots, but if we’re being real I do like Slurpluff’s design more. It’s so gaudy and adorable, anything that can walk that line where it knows how goofy it is without being ridiculous will earn points with me. Plus it’s one of those Pokémon that’s just, like, almost good, you know? Making a consistent Slurpluff team can feel like the impossible dream at so many times, and that’s always going to interest me.

lmfao I never though I'd see someone say Slurpuff was their fav mon
Would you mind dropping a team that better represents your style and explain your thought process behind it?

You'll have to understand that some of the spicier stuff has to stay hush-hush for the next couple months, but this was a concept I pulled together in considering how I felt it best to adapt Zygarde use in a metagame that has grown far less kind to it in the past year or so. Ultimately my conclusion was to opt for Adamant alongside Stone Edge > Outrage; frankly not enough people seem to like Shaymin right now regardless, and that sequence where you're forced to lock Outrage to revenge-kill Virizion was everybody's least favorite thing to be doing with it in the first place, so I decided to instead focus on its strengths. Adamant Zygarde is very playable in my personal experience, making more of its free turns vs balance and making the ExtremeSpeed clean vs offense far more doable at the expense of missing out on what I'd deem to be very acceptable benchmarks (the nigh-unseen Mismagius, Espeon which now takes ballpark 65-80% from ExtremeSpeed, and Virizion, which for the purposes of this experiment is now best hit by the priority move anyway). Edge + Toxic serves to keep pressure on what are now the most conventional responses to Zygarde, being some combination of Slowbro, Donphan, PDef Mandibuzz, Golisopod, or perhaps a Cresselia, which are all Pokemon that can in turn be exploited nicely. Necrozma was a Pokemon I felt to be highly cohesive with this adjusted Zygarde, both capitalizing on on its ability to bait many of the Pokemon I listed prior to an extent and serving to regulate what I might deem to be the proper 'pace' of a team such as this, which I feel is an oft overlooked aspect of building. I got to mess around with a host of weirdo picks for this to coalesce though, which is part of why I felt it worth showcasing here, including the Venusaur as token Fighting-type check and utility with which to help break down Registeel balance, Fly Z Mantine as an initial Donphan switch and bulky Water-type that doesn't get bullied by Roserade offenses nearly as badly, and Return Poryzon2 more than anything because I think Raikou has the ability to shred teams like this super hard on paper even if that usually fails to happen in practice (but also its useful for 2HKOing Salazzle clean and other misc things). Pretty easy to pilot, lots of fun I feel, just be wary about how you play your status.

You are definitely one of the few people I know who takes tailor made EV spreads to another level, what has been your focus when doing all these intricate EVs?

Ok, so I can realize how from an outside perspective it can look all kinds of crazy, but at its core every decision I make with things like that are rooted in a very basic idea: every Pokemon should do the best possible job at what it's meant to be doing for a specific team. Perhaps the best way to explain it is to go through a very basic exercise, let's say we want a Noivern that above all else is meant to switch into Ninetales to some extent. So for this to work a few basic requirements need to be filled, including a [semi-]safe switch under reasonable conditions and the ability to thereafter respond to it. Obviously stalling it out is out of the question, so we need it to be a bit more active in it's role, basically ruling out Rocky Helmet sets from the jump. That narrows down the 'goal' of the set to switching in, outspeeding and KOing it consistently. From here we establish all the items and moves that can OHKO Ninetales after Stealth Rock: Z / Choice Specs Draco Meteor @ 56 SpA, Z Hurricane @ 108 SpA, and Life Orb @ 200 SpA. On principle I would rule out non-Z Hurricane as an option for the assumed risks of expecting results primarily vs a Sun inducer, so from this point I would narrow down what exactly I can afford of this Noivern; can I make it my Z move user, is the team paced in such a way that I can make my primary Ninetales answer a Choice user and if so, will I be able properly capitalize on what it offers through it's breaking ability and / or use of Switcheroo? After settling on this, I would try to apply the same standards to the process of switching in, and with the obvious conceit of a Choice Specs HP Ice on the switch the worst case scenario here is a +1 Overheat after Stealth Rock. Fortunately, the threshold for surviving this is rather low, just 48 SpD EVs, and to that end the most a Noivern looking exclusively to serve the role of Ninetales switch for bulky offense is ??? SpA (depending on item choice made, as stated) / 48 SpD / 72 Spe, Timid nature. Of course, trying to find what's best for your team becomes more than that, because odds are good you'd want a Pokemon doing more than just that, but in recognizing the minimum threshold for doing what you want most of a Pokemon, you get a better baseline for where you can push the margins and eek every last bit of value out of those 508 EVs. Really the best advice I can give is to just start tinkering, I genuinely don't think what I do is some special talent as much as it is a byproduct of messing around with calcs and having a clear idea of what I want each Pokemon to be doing.

Hella cool, I do think it's amazing how you can twist the given EVs so much, all I normally focus on is speed creep and seeing your spreads makes me wish to just mess up with stuff
What's the origin behind your username?

Well back on Pokémon Online I was getting to a point where I was thinking to ‘break out’ past that smaller server I was thinking about. After mulling it over for a while, I settled on converting an old alt, 49th Parallel. Coincidentally, I happened to actually be reading at the time, so I was left in a unique position where I could have a two-fer, with it standing both Circle Of Latitude and [The] Crying Of Lot 49, the Thomas Pynchon novel. I’d highly recommend it, real interesting read and pretty short.

Is there anything else you'd like to tell the fans?

So Much Fun out on all streaming services

rofl alright, thanks for your time col

=========================================================================================

Feel free to ask col49 any questions you want!

If you have any reccomendations I'll be more than happy to read them, just PM me!

Next time on FeliInterviews...

Reading interviews was never interesting until I saw Feliburn's. So great work bhai
Col49 you're a really good player, I liked watching your ru replays back when I played this tier in ORAS. :)
Any tips/guidance for the new comers to usum ru? What's your opinion on Larvesta in oras ru teams since you're a diverse builder?

Ajna

i tell my ppl i don't need love but
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
who're 2 newcomers that have caught your eye in the teambuilding department?

what song are you listening to the most rn?

what's your fav ev spread you've made?

what's kept you around the game for so long?

Really cool interview feliburn.
For col, can you rank a top 10 of every ru players since bw until nowadays asuming everyone at their highest level? (You can include yourself in the rank)
And, are u free this tuesday at 8pm gmt+2 to play ssd?

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Big fan of Danny Brown as well lol
Thoughts on 30? And why it’s the best tape of all time
Do you like his older style (hybrid) or his mainstreamish flow
Any favorite songs? Also recommendedations?
ORAS or SM
Can you use Quagsire outside of stall?
Thoughts on my builds? And any tips on getting better
Any tips on being in the community I feel like a outsider tbh
Is it bad to ladder? Like can it make you a worse player
Also shoutout Feli nice job :toast:

Also any plans of new narrations on yt chimpact I mean 49 lol

Last edited:
Underrated BW2 RU Pokemon/sets/cores and why?

Favorite BW2 RU teams (yours and others')?

Favorite metagame of all time? Doesn't have to be a finished tier (for example early BW UU with sun and Kyurem and whatnot)

What are your favorite teams you've built of all time (any meta, see above q)?

Favorite OU tier?

What are your favorite tournament battles you've played and why? I really loved that one from last Snake with the Honchkrow.

What are your favorite tournament battles you've spectated and why?

I recently went to see Where Does a Body End? at a film festival in Berlin. It was 1) the snobbiest, most pretentious thing I've ever done 2) awesome. When this film is released for purchase (probably near the end of the year), will you check it out?

Are you excited for the upcoming Swans record (probably released in October)? Any predictions? I think Gira's moving past his neo-krautrock style.

Any new findings in rock/metal/shoegaze?

I enjoy your aesthetic, birthday brother. Keep it up, lol

Nat

is a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
What do you consider some of the most pivotal metagame changes we've seen in gen7, particularly in regards to in-meta thought processes rather than sudden tier shifts?

As such a prolific builder, what annoys you the most to see (or not see) on current RU teams today?

Is there any time(s) this gen you feel the community made a poor choice in terms of a suspect result?

You've been around obviously awhile in terms of RU. Are there any notable differences you see between the top competitive RU field say, back in spl6-7 vs current day?

Piggybacking off the last question, is there any notable differences in general with regards to the public mindset of the RU playerbase?

Do you have a favorite build you've made in each gen, and if so, what are they?

You've led me down some pretty cool musical paths before. Any new recommendations?

What did you hate more: when every team was gardevoir tyrantrum regi/zong milo gligar, or the current donphan/golisopod/metagross trends. If neither of these are your most hated over-satured team trend of gen 7, what is?

Is there any pokemon you expect to flop hard in this edition of snake tour?

Why won't you just accept that 252/252/4 is the true master EVing tactic???

---

this last part isn't a question and i know you shy away from praise but ty for what you've given this community. In my eyes, it's arguably the most anyone has given to the ru tier, and you're for sure a role model that anyone could look to in most facets of contributing/existing within the community.

is there anything you hope to see next generation for ru / the game in general? mechanic changes, pokemon you'd want to mess around with in ru, new evolutions etc

do you think z moves and mega evolutions have had a net positive impact on mons? do you wanna see either of them next gen?

will asap rocky ever make a good record again?

any rap collabs you wanna see at some point? this can include producer collabs too like without warning

what do you consider the best year this decade for rap?

Reading interviews was never interesting until I saw Feliburn's. So great work bhai
Col49 you're a really good player, I liked watching your ru replays back when I played this tier in ORAS. :)
Any tips/guidance for the new comers to usum ru? What's your opinion on Larvesta in oras ru teams since you're a diverse builder?
Haha, thanks man, I'm glad my games were of some value to other people. In terms of starting with this tier, while maybe being a bit late for it I would say the most important thing for someone w/a modicum of general Pokemon know-how to do is to not get overly passive in your building and playing; I feel like the outlook of the tier very much seems to incentivize players starting out to roll w/some good old-fashioned balance, and while it's certainly viable there are an equal amount of dangerous breakers that make auto-piloting them rather difficult. 'Just' having a good defensive backbone oftentimes leaves you a good prediction away from a proper Virizion / Salazzle / whatever from opening up your team, so try to be conscious of that and make sure every turn you give a Pokemon like is putting you farther ahead in the grand scheme of things.

In regards to Larvesta, honestly I'm super hard to please in terms of non-traditional 'mons in the ORAS RU tier, and honestly I don't think I personally could see either a defensive nor offensive niche that Larvesta would be filling that some other 'mon doesn't. That said, if ever I were to try to use it, probably the best bet would be something to the effect of Calm Mind / Flamethrower / Substitute / Roost; Flame Body, Earthquake neutrality, and access to recovery makes Larvesta at least somewhat usable over other Fire-types, since Flygon is less liable to force you out and Registeel / Mola being forced to compromise status-free conditions (since 0 SpA Flamethrower still does like 20% max to Regi, so you will get Toxic'd and lose without Rest and if you're just a Resting CM user why not literally anything else that isn't 3HKO'd by Seismic Toss).

who're 2 newcomers that have caught your eye in the teambuilding department?

what song are you listening to the most rn?

what's your fav ev spread you've made?

what's kept you around the game for so long?
Gauging who to call "new" is tough for an old-ass bitch like me, but I've appreciated a fair amount of what Durza and yoppie have done. Not all of them are perfect, I'm recalling one Ambipom / Raikou / no Water resist balance that yjh toted, but there's a lot of ingenuity and willingness to try new things that I would deem admirable. There are plenty of diamonds in the rough right now though.

Recency bias obviously, but I've been circling 'round to the highlights off the thugger project (shame he ruined Ecstasy to ig promote his tour?), the singles off the upcoming Hobo Johnson album, Charming Man by The Smiths, and Jogging by Richard Dawson.

Favorite's tough man, I circled back to that one BW Aero spread with EVs in six stats for the meme, but really it's just what's come into play. You can really name almost any kind of bulky attacking type 'mon that can be tweaked to take this hit while outspeeding that and getting the secure KO on x, y, and z, and those are generally the ones I find most rewarding.

I think it's all about balancing things out. I might very well be proven wrong one day, but 'crust' might just be fake, and once you reach a threshold I feel like you can just jump back into the game whenever without compromising your baseline play too badly. I feel like if I was out here grinding circuits and other solo tours I'd have burned out ages ago, so instead I just focus on team tours and general chatting. It can be more of a social thing that way, which is rad.

Really cool interview feliburn.
For col, can you rank a top 10 of every ru players since bw until nowadays asuming everyone at their highest level? (You can include yourself in the rank)
And, are u free this tuesday at 8pm gmt+2 to play ssd?
Idt I would put myself in a top 10 in terms of play honestly, like maybe in terms of influence but like I'm probably better suited for 11-20. To attempt, and not to put too much stress on the order:
  1. Silentverse
  2. New Breed
  3. Shake
  4. Ajna
  5. Windsong
  6. august
  7. Nat
  8. Bad Ass
  9. Pearl
  10. Omfuga
Also, I haven't gotten to prepping for our game and work during that time, and would highly encourage keeping your Sunday open. Looking forward to our game, hopefully I can give you a good one!

Big fan of Danny Brown as well lol
Thoughts on 30? And why it’s the best tape of all time
Do you like his older style (hybrid) or his mainstreamish flow
Any favorite songs? Also recommendedations?
ORAS or SM
Can you use Quagsire outside of stall?
Thoughts on my builds? And any tips on getting better
Any tips on being in the community I feel like a outsider tbh
Is it bad to ladder? Like can it make you a worse player
Also shoutout Feli nice job :toast:

Also any plans of new narrations on yt chimpact I mean 49 lol
Man it's crazy how fresh that still is to me, ridiculous project. The closing track in particular is something I've always stated as one of the best closers of any rap project ever, it's so powerful. Hybrid's a mixed bag for me, I like some of the grittiness there but also I feel like as a rapper he was still sorta figuring things out. Him going, like, overly commercial for me is kinda weird honestly, like I heard Grown Up after 30 and it just felt off.

Going strictly off Danny Brown as a reference point, I'd say that you'd probably get something out of the original Def Jux type works: The Cold Vein, Funcrusher Plus, etc. Aesop Rock and Busdriver are probably contending with him for lyrically oriented, eccentric voices too.

SM is more fun for me in RU, but I think I'd take ORAS OU / UU over SM personally.

I wouldn't in RU personally, feel like Gastrodon does the job just fine. Been seeing it spark in ORAS OU a bit and haven't hated it, though I mean what does that offer here lol

I've seen some interesting things from what I recall, I guess the best I could offer as far as advice would be to build methodically; take one idea and consider "what do I need to do to make this Pokemon succeed? Is it meant to win games vs a certain playstyle or set the stage for something else, and if so what kind of Pokemon would benefit from this?" Usually with enough experience in the tier, you can gauge how different people adress different threats and situations, so take advantage of that information and flip it into an advantage at preview.

I don't think laddering necessarily can make you worse, I merely think that after a point it doesn't make you any better. It's great for sharpening your sense for the game, I did the same way back, but laddering in a vacuum promotes very complacent play where you find yourself going on auto-pilot given a lack of knowledge of your opponent's skill. That said, no shame in that really, and if anyone has fun doing that then far be it from me to find fault in that.

Also hopefully! Mcmeghan did a series I really liked some time ago wherein he talked about his tour games for I want to say SPL 9 with an emphasis on the prep work, and maybe if I'm not terrible I can try to do that for my Snake stuff, though obviously catching some games in the interim would be nice haha

Underrated BW2 RU Pokemon/sets/cores and why?

Favorite BW2 RU teams (yours and others')?

Favorite metagame of all time? Doesn't have to be a finished tier (for example early BW UU with sun and Kyurem and whatnot)

What are your favorite teams you've built of all time (any meta, see above q)?

Favorite OU tier?

What are your favorite tournament battles you've played and why? I really loved that one from last Snake with the Honchkrow.

What are your favorite tournament battles you've spectated and why?

I recently went to see Where Does a Body End? at a film festival in Berlin. It was 1) the snobbiest, most pretentious thing I've ever done 2) awesome. When this film is released for purchase (probably near the end of the year), will you check it out?

Are you excited for the upcoming Swans record (probably released in October)? Any predictions? I think Gira's moving past his neo-krautrock style.

Any new findings in rock/metal/shoegaze?

I enjoy your aesthetic, birthday brother. Keep it up, lol
I've been a real big fan of bulky Tanga Berry Lilligant in 'modern' BW2 RU, really gets the one-up on a lot of people's manner of addressing sweepers and Lilligant's already pretty great currently. I've also liked Substitute Druddigon, super difficult to dance around and it gets to dance around the fact that every runs max Speed Drudd right now and thereby frees up EVs for bulk. Also Scarf Rotom-C + Gothorita, lol.

Running of the Bulls was always one that I really dug, plus that one Nidoqueen / Clefable / Cresselia / Spiritomb / Qwilfish / Last I can't rightly recall team that Windsong came up with during the point wherein that was legal just felt so surgical in the way it operated. A lot of what Alf was coming up with at the time also felt pretty forward-thinking, same with a lot of what Dice and Bloo were running with during that iteration of Grand Slam.

I've definitely enjoyed the clusterfuck metagames for as brief as they were around, that one point at the start of ORAS where certain Megas and new abilities were being introduced and all of a sudden RU had access to Contrary Serperior, Adaptability Dragalgae, Mega Altaria / Lopunny / Pidgeot was such a mess and I loved it but maybe wasn't the best example of a conventionally enjoyable metagame. I actually did rather enjoy pre-Abomasnow / Chandelure ban BW2 UU, though I'm sure that's not reciprocated, and there was this magic point in ORAS OU where CM Clef was primed to sweep most people under the right conditions but hadn't yet become incredibly vexxing (like, midst of Tesung's collection spree) that I was actually super into building for that. I think I built all of Kush's WCOP teams that year, though one I think I inadvertently ripped off from Tesung given I was pretty into Dragalgae at the time.

I have a penchant for BW2, given that's sort of where I really started to figure Pokemon out, but for my money GSC is the most fascinating metagame to spectate and the games are the most interesting to unravel. One of these days I'll have to take up Choolio on teaching me the ropes because while I think I'm familiar with how to sequence plays and put teams together for the most part, after teaming with Fear and skimming his dissertations on how every piece is meant to interlock, I can't help but feel woefully unequipped for it. ADV is up there though, I've grown to really dig on the ebb and flow of it and it's characteristics probably best suit a player of my nature.

Shoot, honestly I don't know, I never really look to my games as anything too impressive. I think I executed on that game you mentioned reasonably well for sure, and as for other big stage games it may be corny but I thought my SPL debut vs Bad Ass was reasonably solid; I distinctly recall the nerves beforehand, and with the very first turn I was able to lock in and without a calc recognize his Rotom-C as Timid Specs and from there discern pretty much the rest of his team, and at that point I felt like I got into a good groove. It might've been a bigger deal to me given that I started out on Smogon memorizing almost every RMT in the Archive and Bad Ass in particular was a player whose approach to the game I really respected, but who's to say for certain? Maybe I should play more, drum up some instances of winning with skill other than just fishing match-up like always.

Spectated live or overall? Ciele vs Cosine180's BW game for that one Smogtour finals, as well as that same Tesung McM game everyone brings up were both cool for me, I feel like I couldn't rightly add anything to them that hasn't been brought up before. In terms of more recent ones, Elodin v Snou for semis tiebreak of NUPL was a pretty interesting one for me, and Pearl v Robjr for Week 9 of this last SPL had a lot to like. UU games between any three of Pearl / Pak / Rob to me feel like an worthwhile microcosm of the current metagame executed on a high level, which tends to be great for spectators imo.

Can't say I'm familiar with the director, but I suppose that makes sense if Letterbox'd is to be trusted in this is his debut. I'll give it a shot, can't find a wider release date but hopefully the trailer does a real bad job b.c that totally sells it as some kind of fluff piece. As for their new record, you have to figure they'd be taking a new direction with it right? Like, Gira's seemed to be pretty set on plodding forward with his sound, so to have some kind of 'leftovers' type record of their trilogy would seem out of character to me. In spite of saying that, I get a sneaking suspicion it will bear some stylistic similarities to, like, early Angels of Light, could very well be off-base but time will tell.

Aside from continuing to sift through older stuff (Blood Brothers have have a pretty solid project or two, Dog Faced Hermans are nifty), Black Midi is doing some pretty interesting stuff right now that I've taken to. I have to imagine you caught at least some of the buzz off King Gizzard's foray into thrash and I thought it was an admirable offering, though maybe it takes some adjusting because it's mixed and mastered like a rock album. Can't say I can condone the sentiments expressed in the new Deathspell Omega, but like it still is a cut above in terms of execution so it's tough. False's Portent is also maybe a bit on the meat and potatoes side, but nonetheless a very listenable BM release.

Also thx wow u2

What do you consider some of the most pivotal metagame changes we've seen in gen7, particularly in regards to in-meta thought processes rather than sudden tier shifts?

As such a prolific builder, what annoys you the most to see (or not see) on current RU teams today?

Is there any time(s) this gen you feel the community made a poor choice in terms of a suspect result?

You've been around obviously awhile in terms of RU. Are there any notable differences you see between the top competitive RU field say, back in spl6-7 vs current day?

Piggybacking off the last question, is there any notable differences in general with regards to the public mindset of the RU playerbase?

Do you have a favorite build you've made in each gen, and if so, what are they?

You've led me down some pretty cool musical paths before. Any new recommendations?

What did you hate more: when every team was gardevoir tyrantrum regi/zong milo gligar, or the current donphan/golisopod/metagross trends. If neither of these are your most hated over-satured team trend of gen 7, what is?

Is there any pokemon you expect to flop hard in this edition of snake tour?

Why won't you just accept that 252/252/4 is the true master EVing tactic???

---

this last part isn't a question and i know you shy away from praise but ty for what you've given this community. In my eyes, it's arguably the most anyone has given to the ru tier, and you're for sure a role model that anyone could look to in most facets of contributing/existing within the community.
I think midway through we were as players in the tier really prompted to reassess the ways we dealt with threats, pushing this idea of minimizing free turns to bigger threats in order to eek things out. For extended periods of time Blastoise and Roserade I think got bemoaned way more than they should've for how quickly they can fold to simply attacking in rather than giving them the momentum for next to nothing.

I'm sure I have plenty of little pet peeves for building trends, but I guess for two consistent ones, Mandibuzz is not a Fighting resist and Blastoise is not a proper bulky Water. Bulky, yes, Water, yes, but if you're using in the way you would a Slowbro or Milotic to complement a Registeel then you're deserving to get punished. Recognition of the type of team you're looking to make is essential and it can go unnoticed far more than I'd like.

Entei was fine, Absol was absolutely too much for the tier and it not getting a public suspect was best case scenario.

The most obvious shift is that managers are starting to give more dedicated RU players, rather than opting for jack-of-all-trades. Building something that works out by simply giving a look-over of the VR has become more difficult, so the payoff of trying to crowdsource a team once a week's gotten tough, but also I think we have at least ten players capable of competing (read: knows what they're doing and has exhibited that in public enough a fashion that managers aren't scared you'll choke under pressure) and that's pretty dope too! As for mindset, I think it's kind of hard to assess, given with each gen I feel there's a major shift in mindset even out of necessity, but I do feel like by and large the earliest RU players were much more open to cheesing match-ups. Perhaps that's simply product of current players not feeling they are equipped to pilot those kind of teams, but old-school players had much less issue trying to pull out, say, a Gothorita.

I think that with time, I've started to inadvertently move away from making super easy to pick up teams in favour of teams that I personally could pilot well. So when one of mine ends up getting broader appeal (think the Speed Boost Yanmega offense, Screens offense, Banded Gigalith + Stout) I feel like I've touched on something that maybe isn't important per say, but worth examining as to why it got the kind of play it did and can be put on a pedestal like that.

Hmmmmmm, try listening to Lemon of Pink by The Books, The Wild Hunt by Tallest Man on Earth, Kvelertak's S/T, and Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer by of Montreal.

I feel like the Milo Gligar Steel was around longer, and therefore it will probably stick around with me as worse for that alone, though if we're being fair I do feel like stages of that also saw a bunch of different tools to mess around with, so it's something of a mixed bag. Going to stick to it though.

Given the way people play it right now, I can see Blastoise seeing a sub 50% win rate. Toxicroak as well, in all honesty.

I run 4 / 252 / 252 on most Fires, does that help?

is there anything you hope to see next generation for ru / the game in general? mechanic changes, pokemon you'd want to mess around with in ru, new evolutions etc

do you think z moves and mega evolutions have had a net positive impact on mons? do you wanna see either of them next gen?

will asap rocky ever make a good record again?

any rap collabs you wanna see at some point? this can include producer collabs too like without warning

what do you consider the best year this decade for rap?
Honestly I don't think I've ever really gotten into that part of speculation really, just along for the ride most times. If something I like ends up in a non-RU tier it's just an excuse to dabble in another tier, no sweat. That said, new Linoone looks bonkers and I want to run the Weezing just to have done it.

Yes and no. I like what they offered in paper, and it succeeded in broadening the tools available to us as builders and players, but certain instances of Z moves in particular I felt really pushed things into a bad place and forced tiering decisions I'd have otherwise liked to miss (ex: Meloetta). They're cool, but I don't think I'd be upset to see them absent in future iterations of the game.

Man I hope so. Like, the potential is there, a lot of his verses have slouched but there have been flashes that confirm he's still got it, and while he's struggled to pen a compelling song he's got the creativity to put something captivating together. Fingers crossed ig

Juicewrld + TM88, Maxo Kream + Vince Staples, Migos + Person in the studio that tells them to not put everything on the album

Hmmm, probably 2012? GKMC, Money Store / NLDW, Mista Thug Isolation, R.A.P Music, History Will Absolve me are varying levels of essential imo, though last year was also pretty big and 2015 had some quality releases and two albums I'd say are contending for top five of the decade (TPAB and Rodeo).

Will any of these questions get answered?
Hey man, there was a lot to cover, my weekdays are busy, and I wanted to do a decent job of covering things. Hopefully I can be forgiven, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Feliview

How much time a day do you dedicate to optimizing hypothetical ev spreads?
I'm slacking nowadays if we're being honest, most of it happens the day before whatever game it's needed for (read:Saturday evening). I probably lay some groundwork for things earlier in the week, think of what I want to do with something at work or what have you and jot down basically what I'd be doing with it when the time comes that I actually pull out the calc. After a while you can cut down on time by just knowing basically how much you need to do what just by merit of doing it enough time though, which is a blessing because as established I have become very lazy over the years.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)